Serpent's Stout - The Lost Abbey

Serpent's StoutSerpent's Stout

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 06-10-2007

The history of the bible and religion is indeed the struggle of good vs. evil. Our Serpent’s Stout recognizes the evil of the dark side that we all struggle with.This is a massively thick and opaque beer that begs the saints to join the sinners in their path to a black existence.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Serpent's Stout Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Had on-tap at Teresa's served up in a tulip. Looks outstanding. Pours a straight opaque black capped off with a dark brown head. Dissipates after a little while to a thin ring that remains for the rest of the drink, with good lacing down the glass.

S - Roasted barley at first, then mostly dominated by a big coffee aroma with hints of macadamia, dark chocolate, and alcohol as it warms.

T - Huge lasting taste. Starts off with roasted barley, then some earthy hops make a presence about mid palate, followed by bitter chocolate in the finish. Strong tastes of roasted coffee come through well after swallowing, and some alcohol lingers around as well.

D - I shared the drink with my wife, who enjoyed it just as much as myself. This beer is a sipper for sure, one serving is enough for me. The intensity, depth and complexity overall is outstanding and balanced well.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Aroma: Massive sweet chocolate upfront with some roasted barley blending into the mix. No real dark fruit character as I sometimes expect with higher alcohol brews though there is a hint of spice coming off the top.

Appearance: Perhaps this beer was named after some black snake because it pours the color of used motor oil. And I mean that in the best possible way. Black as the night with a nut brown head that pours thin and fades to a ring around the top of the beer. Somewhat sticky to the sides of the glass, but it holds for only a moment with no lacing.

Flavor: Heavy roasted malt and dark grainy bread up front. Dark Chocolate enters the complexity with bitterness, though retaining just a touch of sweetness as well. Subtle hints of prune and alcohol spice play in while the roasted barley and chocolate malt define this massive stout.

Mouthfeel: Full body with medium carbonation. Somewhat grainy on the tongue and all that roast really dry's out the palate. There is just enough sweetness and malt complexity to keep things in balance. Alcoholic warmth enters in the middle and retains it's presence through the end. This is certainly warming but not hot.

Overall: An incredible example of how to brew with heavy focus on roasted barley balanced out with alcohol spice and warmth. With all the chocolate in the aroma I was really expecting more in the flavor, while it is there it's anything but a sweet stout. Some dark fruit character would be welcome here, and I'd love to see an Oak Aged version, but it's not lacking complexity or body by any stretch. Overall a rich, roasty, full-bodied sipper to enjoy on a quiet evening.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

The beer pours a pitch black color with a thick and creamy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a nice black malt bitterness along with a killer chocolate malt aroma. It's rich and creamy with a bit of warmth. The taste is awesome! Wow, what a great stout! It has a thick and rich chocolate malt flavor with a stiff black malt bitterness and underlying roasted character. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn good stout. I'm a big fan of the chocolate flavor; man, what a drinker.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Certainly awesome.. super dark pour with dark brown head.. very chocolatey aroma with some dried fruit, very sweet.. flavor is very robust, lots dark fruit, cocoa, some alcohol. Mouth is fairly perfect for a strong stout, very viscous and chewy thick. All around very awesome.. I'm very impressed as I tend to like strong stouts much better when they have espresso but this was just an awesome straight up RIS..

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Vintage 2008

Serpent's Stout is onyx. Looks pitch black. No light is cutting through, even at the outermost edges. It's topped with a mocha tan head that stands about two fingers tall. Bubbles are definitely present here. It's slow to recede and leaves a nice sticky coat of lace trailing down the glass.

The nose is very impressive. One whiff reveals it's loaded with roasted and chocolate malts. Chocolate malts give it a bittersweet scent. Doesn't smell sweet at all. Coffee follows and is an effective, complementary feature. Molasses and black licorice are subtle, but noted. Alcohol is a little noticeable, but it's blended well for 11%. This is impressive smelling stuff. It's deep, complex, and works in every way.

The flavor isn't quite as good as I'd hoped. It's very good, but isn't quite special. Roasted and chocolate malts give it a quality base. It is bittersweet, but has a slight sweet flavor that emerges. Dark chocolate and cocoa are more prominent in any event. Coffee is easily noted, but is very much a secondary player. Coffee fans will love it, but it's not so strong that coffee haters will run for the hills. I like coffee and appreciate its presence here. Molasses, black licorice, and even a hint of anise round out the secondary flavors. It is quite deep and complex. Alcohol is masked very well. I wouldn't guess 11%. It finishes roasty with a slight charred flavor. It's good, but lacks a little something special.

Serpent's Stout has a (barely) medium body. It feels too thin. Carbonation seems appropriate (light and restrained), not woefully lacking. It's smooth, but needs more body. Drinkability is good. I'll handle the 750. It goes down rather easily, but it is quite strong. A 375 might have been the better choice.

Serpent's Stout is unquestionably good beer. I've had this bottle for almost two years and I question whether I shouldn't have cracked it sooner. Probably so. I like it, but it seems like it's missing a little something. I suspect that something might be a little hops. The further I get into the bottle, the more I'm convinced that it had more of a hop presence in its youth. I need to try a fresh bottle. The only thing it overtly needs today is more body. Other than that, I like it quite a bit. Easily recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Deep black with a finger of mocha froth atop it; decent durability and lacing on the tulip. Luxurious nose, filled with light roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and fruit (blackberry, perhaps?); really impressive.

Great taste, a splendid Imperial Stout. Fudge permeates Serpent's Stout, like a liquid brownie. It isn't quite the brewed embodiment of chocolate that ST's Choklat is, but this merits heaps of praise. The coffee is unmistakable but is light in flavor, like a pleasant, easy-going blended roast for breakfast. The fruit, more sweet than tart, is most welcome, and I detect a hint of licorice in the finish. Just fantastic stuff.

So smooth in the texture, with a touch of hop grit as a tease. Serpent's Stout is right on the money in taste and texture. The 11% ABV (advertised on The Blind Pig's great bar menu) catches up halfway through, but that's perfectly fine. Serpent's isn't a sipper, but rather demands some patience.

An outstanding Imperial Stout from The Lost Abbey, Serpent's steered me into The Pig this afternoon for a sample. So glad I did, for this is just what terrific Imperial Stout ought to be--rich in flavor, and very smooth.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap during "Stout Month" at the Vine Street Pub. Poured a dark brown almost black with a yellowish-tan head of about a half finger. Alcohol noticeable with some coffee malts and dark fruit. Fruity complex taste with the malts contributing significant flavors of coffee and chocolate. Smooth feel with great tight carbonation and a full bodied feel. Interesting flavors, complex, with drinkability on par with other Imperial Stouts.

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance:

This beer pours a jet black color, kind of like Batman's cape at midnight. ( Don't ask me where that came from) When I hold the glass up to the light its not even letting the slightest amount pass through it. Again, I reached for my trusty Dogfish Head snifter to enjoy this ale and I gave it yet another straight on pour to entice a creamy head but sadly I didn't get it. I have read many reviews about Lost Abbey's big beer series and how they tend to have little to no head when poured. I always wondered if this was a habitual problem of just an intentional doing.

Smell:

A huge bouquet of roasty, espresso-mocha notes, dark chocolate and french roast coffee with a sweetness that greets you up front and heat alcohol in the finish.

Taste:

The first thing that I am getting is something crossed between Starbucks coffee, a Wendy's Frosty, and something slightly burnt in the finish. Like I mentioned in the smell I am getting some heat but it's nothing offensive or overpowering but rather balancing. Something that I am really enjoying is the fact that I'm not seeing a lot of hops. Normally that's not something that I would say but this comes across as a sweeter dessert beer. But then again maybe I am being kind of partial right now because I just ate and I am trying to satisfy my sweet tooth. One thing to mention is that this beer has a huge mouth feel with a big roasty finish that hangs on for a long ride down to your stomach making you feel very full quickly. With that being said don't make the same mistake as me and drink the whole champagne bottle by yourself.

Drinkability:

This beer was another home run. The flavors were bold and in your face. I would not recommend this beer to a novice mainly due to cost and the fact that a person who might not be that in tune might miss some of the subtle complex flavors that make this beer memorable from other imperial stouts. As for all you roasty lovin', coffee sippin', chocolate eatin', craft beer drinkers out there: seek this beer out I promise you that you will not be disappointed.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks to Tony (ahalloin) for sharing.

A: Black, with a nice beige head, moderate lacing

S: Big roasted malt presence, alcohol, subtle chocolate. Very inviting.

T: Delicious from the onset. Roasted malt, chocolate, cocoa, slight alcohol. Lost Abbey makes so many great beers, it amazes me. I'm impressed yet again. This beer isn't as complex as some of the top name imperial stouts, but it sho-nuff tastes good. Flavors are blended masterfully, and each sip begs another.

M: Very nice combo of smooth and creamy with crisp carbonation.

D: This beer is 11% ?!? Where did it go? Yeah, I'll be seeking this one out again. This beer is just a slight notch below the well-known world class imperial stouts. Nonetheless, I'd be glad to have this anytime.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

It flowed from the bottle black and oily. I didn't expect much of a head, but a very pretty espresso-colored foam developed, just a couple millimeters thick. Held up for a minute too. Looks great so far.

The smell is big and malty, coffee, carmel, toasty, thick and sugary much like the other Lost Abbey's I've had.

Taste is not lacking. Lots of the smells replicate on the tongue, but are accompanied by the signature Lost Abbey texture. Creamy and rich. Some of the flavors I attributed to the bourbon casking in other Lost Abbey's are still present in this beer. Maybe it's just the alcohol. Not sure.

I'm thoroughly pleased. I bought it, poured it, and they delivered, as always.

3.1/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours black with a beige head that retains fairly well and leaves bits of lacing on the glass. Smell is of malted milk balls, earthy hops, light roast and plenty of booze. Taste of light caramel, a touch of coffee, earthy, grassy hops, malted milk balls and fusels. Medium body and higher than medium carbonation. Had this beer a few times and I fail to understand the extremely high ratings. They make other beers I enjoy quite a bit, but this isn't one.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a corked and caged 750ml bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

2009 Vintage

A: Pours pitch black with a two finger, mocha colored head that's kept fed by some decent carbonation (yay Tomme!). Minimal lacing.

S: Wow! Huge aroma of dark chocolate, rum soaked raisins, fudge brownies, chocolate covered cherries, brown sugar/molassas, and some blackened malt.

T: Much like the aroma but the flavor changes from heavy dark fruit to homemade fudge as it comes up to temp. Delicious layers of chocolate. Milk, dark, bittersweet, and bakers...all are represented.

M: Thick and chewy. Coats like that old gallon of lead paint you found in your grandpas basement.

D: While the alcohol was not readily apparent, this one got a little tiresome by the end of the bottle. Not hard to drink, just increadibly filling.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

750 picked up a long while back at John's Marketplace .. I've had a few of these before and was surprised that I've never reviewed a bottle... The ABV says 11%.. I would guess this is an '08. Poured into my Delerium goblet... 2 finger dark tan head... amazing retention and pretty lacing.

Nose is fudgey chocolate with some coffee.. dark fruits that scream dried sweet cherries.. Some minor BSDA yeasty notes.

Flavor is very well integrated mash-up of Belgian Stout characteristics with a proper West Coast treatment... the chocolate is front and center with French Roast in the back... the palate meshes very well.. slight fruity esters show prune and some dark dried cherry..

with warmth.. and some booze in my noggin.. I think my Grandma Shaw's X-mas fudge may be in the mix.. Great body and carbonation..

4.5/4/4/4.5/5

I am still trying to figure out if this is supposed to be a "Belgian Big Stout"... If not, I would like to see this brewed with a slightly fruity Belgian yeast while keeping the mouthfeel and carbonation. Could be out of this world.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: Nice opaque pour with brown soda-pop carbonation that quickly fades, no lacing to speak of.

Smell: Roasted malt, lots of dark chocolate with a bit of mocha. Nice hops, despite being in my cellar for at least a year (which I imagine did this bottle a great deal of good)

Taste: Nice fundge brownie element, sweet molasses, mocha, dark chocolate, kayro syrup as well. Very thankful the burnt flavors do not dominate. Bit of tobacco, but very faint.

Mouthfeel: Starts out a bit fizzy, but perfect after it sets for 30 minutes. Only slightly thin for the style (or at least compared to the mastheads of the style). No noticeable alcohol.

Drinkability: It gets much more drinkable as it warms. The fudge element of this beer is remarkable. If you get one sit on it for a year.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Had at a tasting 1/29. Poured from a 750ml. bottle into a 8oz. pint glass. Reviewed from notes and honestly... at the risk of pre-empting the review... this one totally stole the show for me.

A: Moderate pour yields a .5 finger chocolate head with no retention, that flattens as quickly as its formed. Beer is opaque, just black. Lacing is spotty. Not the pretties beer.

S: Boozy, coffee, chocolate, roasted malts, slight, faintly detectable prunes and/or raisins.

T: Starts of with a subdued chocolate, bourbon is oddly detectable. Boozy, sweet malt backbone. Dried red fruit towards the finish all combined and lightly covered by a lightly sweetened creamy coffee. Finish is a slightly sour roasted coffee.

M: Medium bodied, slightly coarse but smooths out very quickly. Oily but not sticky. Finish is short and sweet. Doesn't linger to mess around with the palate.

D: Talk about under-rated. For all the -bal this and limited-release that... this is one fantastically solid beer that is actually relatively available. Flavor is completely off the charts and so ridiculously balanced... with a mouthfeel that ties things together perfectly. Find this beer and have it... cause it'll be better than most of the limited stuff you'd have to wait much longer for.

3.73/5  rDev -12%

2009 bottle a year old at tasting.

A = Thick, black and opaque. A half centimeter of beige head forms a few seconds after pour.

S = Chocolate, dark fruit.

T = Similar to smell -- chocolate, dark fruit, very faint roast, little to no hop flavor. Not quite as complex or interesting as I had hoped. Still hot after a year and tastes like the 11 percent it is.

M = Thick and viscous. Exactly how I like my Stouts to feel -- heavy and chewy.

D = Lack of complexity in the taste and the alcohol heat hurt the drinkability. Couldn't finish the 750-ml myself, which is unusual.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees
VINTAGE: 2009
I've had this a couple of times before now. I 'found' this bottle in my cellar recently and I know that it's been down there for almost a year now. Realized that I didn't have a review posted for it, so here we go...

This is some damn black liquid here. This is what a good stout should look like, IMO. The one-finger head of chocolate brown colored foam appears very creamy. It recedes to a sporadic filmy surface covering, after a few minutes. The lacing is in broken strands and is fairly sticky.

A fair amount of roasted malts and a touch of char are most evident in this nose. There is also a good deal of some dark fruit hints, along with some notes of caramel and lighter hints of vanilla. A good deal of dark roasted espresso in the undertones mixes with some mild hints of dark chocolates.

This is a big mouthful of chocolate flavor. Loads of chocolate notes, both milk and dark, mix with big notes of cocoa powder. There is a great underbelly of espresso and roasted malts. Sweet hints of vanilla and caramels dance in and out of the flavor profile. Mild hints of dark fruits bring a touch of sweetness, which helps give balance, but no individual fruit seems to stand out. The finish, which is sweet and roasty, just goes on and on and on.
This is a good complex flavor profile, though not overly so. It is a wonderful example of how beautifully tasty a stout can truly be.

This is full-bodied and somewhat viscous. It has a mild level of carbonation which gives it a smooth and silky mouthfeel. I like it.

I could drink alot of this one, for sure. It is complex with a wonderful level of balance. The 10.5%abv is very nicely hidden, giving just a touch of warmth, way down in the back of your throat. Delicious.
A wonderful beer from Tomme and Lost Abbey.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: Out of a 1 pint 9.4 ounce corked bottle. Then into a snifter pours an abyss of darkness completly opaque. On top is a caramel colored head about two fingers thick with decent head retention.

Aroma: Large amounts espresso, dark chocolate. A slight hint of vannila bean. A little bit of burnt hoppiness and wonderful dark roasted malts.

Taste: Wow this is an evil sinister beast of a brew. Wonderfully creamy mouthfeel lots upon lots of dark chocolate. Stunning hop bitterness but with only enough to round it out. The malt back bone is huge immensely sweet and chocolatly. The espresso notes are massive.

Notes: It's a beast in a bottle or maybe it's plain pure evil and that's allright with me. Truly a remarkable stout. Cheers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 750ml bottle purchased at Shangy's in Emmaus, PA into my Lost Abbey Signature glass at the cellar temperature (01/08/10).

A: Pours a thick and luscious motor oil black capped with a 1.5 finger mocha colored head with nice retention and some sticky lacing.

S: Potent aroma of rich cocoa and roasted malt combined with notes of milk chocolate, espresso, and some dark chocolate as well.

T: Absolutely an incredible flavor profile highlighted with a rich and creamy cocoa engulfed in layers of roasted malt, milk chocolate, espresso, and dark chocolate. There is a slight warming sense from the 10.5% alcohol which adds some nice heat that is never overpowering. Some bitterness is also present from the dark chocolate as well as just a hint of citrus hops. Overall this is truly an exceptional Imperial Stout.

M: Full-bodied with low and creamy carbonation. There is a slight sticky feel, that helps to coat the entire palate with its rich flavor profile. A slight warming sense is present especially once it warms a bit.

D: Extremely drinkable as I had no problem finishing the entire 750ml bottle in an evening, but it is certainly a sipping Imperial Stout. The 10.5% is well hidden with the exception of a pleasing warming that adds even more complexity to this beer.

Overall this has become a new favorite of mine and certainly one of the most complex Imperial Stouts that I have tried. My Highest Recommendation.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

Picked this up early in 2008

Hard to describe it as anything other than an opaque black. The head is a good 3-finger. mocha color though it recedes pretty quickly.
The aroma is toasty cocoa, dark chocolate, a light smell of coffee, a hint of vanilla and, surprisingly, a note of alcohol.
The taste replicated the smell, though with more intensity all the way around with the exception of no noticeable alcohol. The taste is a bit sweet but overall has a lot going on and is really great.
Mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth and alcohol is nicely hidden in the taste. Carbonation is on the low side but not any kind of a problem
Drinkability is exactly what you want in an Impy Stout. This is not a problem to drink on your own but excellent to share with an appreciative friend.

Almost two years in the cellar hasn't hurt this one any. If I can get ahold of another, I think I will hold on to it a while too.

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%

2009 bottle

A-pours a deep jet black that allows absolutely no light through. it pours a bubbly 1 1/2 fingers of an extremely dark brown head that lingers for a little and leaves little to know lacing on the glass.

S-huge notes of cocoa and roasted malt, absolutely glorious, hints of coffee come in with a light citrus hop towards the back

T-big roasted malt comes in first with a taste of sweet cocoa and just a touch of espresso finishing with a little bit of sweet citrus hop

M-very smooth, not huge body but full, quite creamy and silky with a light carbonation and slight alcohol burn on the back of the throat, very light though.

D-extremely solid imperial stout, one of my absolute favorites!

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

This is a unique stout. I pick up an almost cocoa something like suntan oil sweetness from this stout.I like the fact that it steps outside the norm of all others with the flavors not being to overwhelming to any one area. Nice balance with roasted malts and seems like there is some added sugar here as well. All in all a great offering...

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours very dark brown-black. Tan head quickly thins to a dense ring.

Aroma is charred dark grain and coffee bitterness. Underlying milk sugar sweetness. Alcohol comes on strong with a bourbon quality.

Taste is what the nose led me to expect. Smokey burnt malt matches well with rich chocolate sweetness. Bourbon is still coming on strong with a vanilla and a dry woody oak quality that lingers in the finish.

Mouthfeel is full and round.

Overall a substantial stout. Flavor is rich and enticing. Alcohol heat brings a pleasant sting to the finish. This is a big beer that is still very drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured a deep dark black with no light coming through, had a very dark tan head, with mild retention.

Has a big sweet nose with hints of molasses, vanilla, and caramel, a dark burnt bitterness lingers in there as well.

The flavor is almost overpowering, a huge blast of sweet vanilla and caramel with some bourbony alcohol notes poking through then quickly turning to the dark burnt black coffee, leafy green hops, and chocolate bitterness that seems to linger on forever.

The mouthfeel is thick, oily, and very coating.

What a powerful stout, drinks much bigger than it is and reminds me of some of the best.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I enjoyed this from the comfort of my own living room. From the 2009 vintage, 750 ml bottle to a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a jet-black color that does not allow any light through with a half-inch mocha colored head that lasts and lasts. Quite a good-looking beer.

Smell: Roasted malts, bitter, dark and sweet chocolate and coffee.

Taste: As the smell suggests, the bitter chocolate dominates and is quite sweet. The hops come through on the finish for a nice balanced taste. The alcohol comes through a little here.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, thick and creamy. Coats your teeth and tongue and will not go away.

Drinkability: Excellent beer. The alcohol does not dominate and the taste and mouthfeel keeps you going back for more. Would definitely recommend and drink again.

Serpent's Stout from The Lost Abbey