Cable Car - The Lost Abbey

Cable CarCable Car

Wants: 2,207
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: stephendr on 08-12-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Knapp85

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Felt this one needed a full review. Acquired my bottle from a friend who was in the right place at the right time. A big thanks to her for scoring me a 2013 vintage of this. This beer poured out as a hazy orange gold color with a foamy white head on top. Lots of bubbles rising to the top and collecting at the surface to hold a strong retention. Decent lacing streaks down the glass with every sip. The smell of the beer is potent, it's pretty funky and rank. Basically it stinks but it's awesome for the style, it's exactly how I would expect it to smell. The taste of the beer has a sharp tartness up front which then settles into a really nice sweet grainy wheat like finish. This beer is very bold yet delicate in flavor, it's hard to explain. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a solid carbonation. The beer is very drinkable. Overall this is definitely something special and I believe it's worth seeking out at least once. I'd love to drink it again one day but I don't want to drop the money on it like I did for this one.

01-03-2014 23:44:00 | More by Knapp85
KickInTheChalice

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. 2009 vintage. Thanks to Dunt for bringing this out to the whale tasting.

Appearance: This has a nice hazy golden yellow color with a great compressed creamy off-white head.

Smell: The aroma is sour and funky. Lemon rind, peach, apricot, and grapefruit provide the fruity tartness, with a lot of great barnyard funk and hay.

Taste: Light pale malt flavor, and a flood of fruity sour notes. Apricot, peach, lemon zest, and some grapefruit toward the end. Lots of lactic sourness, a bit of oak, and some vinegar create a full sour flavor.

Mouthfeel: This is tart and quite acidic. Medium body with crisp carbonation. Lactic and vingeary.

Overall: The flavor is great and sour throughout, and each flavor note is so robust, I really enjoyed this beer.

10-31-2011 02:11:07 | More by KickInTheChalice
ngeunit1

4.78/5  rDev +4.4%

A - Poured a slightly hazy golden-orange color with a finger of frothy crisp white head atop. The head faded slowly to a ring around the glass leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - The aroma is an inviting mix of sour and tart white grape and other fruit flavors. There is also some oak and vanilla as well as a nice mix of funkiness. This is one of the best smelling beers I have ever had period.

T - The beer starts off with a great mix of sour and tart white grapeish flavor. It is quite strong but not too overpowering. The oak flavor jumps in right after and starts to mellow things out a bit. By the middle of the beer, everything feels much more balanced with some vanilla and good funkiness coming through. The finish is bit again on the sour and tart with some good funkiness that linger for a while.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The beer felt very smooth with a great mix of sour and tart throughout.

D - Very drinkable. The sour and tart flavors are outstandingly balanced from start to end here. It was really a pleasure to drink this beer, regardless of the price since I felt it was really that good.

08-28-2011 05:43:11 | More by ngeunit1
Reagan1984

4.78/5  rDev +4.4%

A huge thanks to Masterski for getting this for me and sending it along as a great surprise in a recent package. What a treat.

Poured into my tulip glass and a thin wispy bright white head forms. Does recede fairly quickly. The beer is a very bright gold/brass color. Excellent clarity. Some light spotty lacing.

Aroma is fantastic. Bright, some acidic notes, apple comes to mind. Perhaps a touch of lemon.

With the first sip I get very excited as my favorite flavor component of the roasted nuts is present. The tartness is present but with soft round edges. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I thought of Sweet Tart candies. That’s actually a good thing. The bread flavors just below the surface are fantastic. A moment of nectarine and tangerine here. Nice fruit notes. Lot’s going on. There is a salty quality to this that I didn’t expect. Seems to mix well with the nuttiness and bread like qualities. Green apple pops up now and again.

Very delicate body and a wonderful refreshing mouth feel.

This is truly a treat to drink. Believe the hype. Perhaps made even better as it’s been a while since I’ve had a sour. Just fantastic.

Thanks Alex.

04-29-2013 13:43:16 | More by jmarsh123
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

I have waited a really long time to try this beer, Some might say too long, But never the less, this was no easy feat to track one down. That being said I was graciously able to acquire through a wonderful west coast friend who took pity on my plea. The was a 2008 vintage bottle, served out of the cellar at around 50 degrees and poured into my darkness snifter, let the games begin.

As I pour it out, I have to admit I am a bit nervous here. Maybe it is the high expectations I have for this brew, perhaps the preconceived notions are getting to me, no matter. Pours out a very nice and cloudy orange tinted amber color. I could not see through the glass when held up to the light. Nice fizzy head rises quickly to about an inch and a half and then faded away into the night, leaving an almost bare top, well after a few minutes it was a totally bare top. Some light carbonation could be seen inside the glass and a good bit of sediment getting stirred up in the bottle.

Aroma is a tar bomb off the bat, but not enormously sour. Much more complex then then that. Light notes of citrus, orange, semi sweet notes as well coming though as it warms. Deep horse funk apparent as well now. So I go in, for my first sip of Cable Car, and I have to admit it is much more mellow then I thought it would be. Seriously though, I was expecting this deep, wretchedly sour ale and this was not the case. It was remarkably smooth, almost sinisterly so. Deep funky notes predominate, with early touches of white grapes and tart apples. Soo damn smooth though. A bit light on the carbonation in the feel, left me looking for a little more, but damn the taste is unreal. Cannot really compare it too much else. It is just amazing drinkable. The first glass went down like water for me, but half way through the second the ABV starts to kick in and I am feeling it as I type this for sure. Still though I find myself wanted to take bigger and bigger sips, it just that smooth. The finish had to be the driest I can recall with all moisture being sucked from the palate almost immediatly.

Overall wow. The taste was just out of this world. It could have used a bit more pop in the carbonation and appearence but that being said it was still unreal. Super damn drinkable and just absurd. Worth the hunt as I cannot compare it to anything else.

09-10-2009 00:32:00 | More by mikesgroove