Cable Car - The Lost Abbey

Cable CarCable Car

Wants: 2,355
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: stephendr on 08-12-2007)
4.78/5  rDev +4.4%

A huge thanks to Masterski for getting this for me and sending it along as a great surprise in a recent package. What a treat.

Poured into my tulip glass and a thin wispy bright white head forms. Does recede fairly quickly. The beer is a very bright gold/brass color. Excellent clarity. Some light spotty lacing.

Aroma is fantastic. Bright, some acidic notes, apple comes to mind. Perhaps a touch of lemon.

With the first sip I get very excited as my favorite flavor component of the roasted nuts is present. The tartness is present but with soft round edges. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I thought of Sweet Tart candies. That’s actually a good thing. The bread flavors just below the surface are fantastic. A moment of nectarine and tangerine here. Nice fruit notes. Lot’s going on. There is a salty quality to this that I didn’t expect. Seems to mix well with the nuttiness and bread like qualities. Green apple pops up now and again.

Very delicate body and a wonderful refreshing mouth feel.

This is truly a treat to drink. Believe the hype. Perhaps made even better as it’s been a while since I’ve had a sour. Just fantastic.

Thanks Alex.

4.76/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a SP Stem. Thanks Shea for busting this out. CC '13.

A - Cloudy light straw yellow pour with a 1 finger white foam head that slowly recedes back into the glass.

S - Lemony citrus zest here, slightly reminds me of DDG on the nose here. White wine grapes. The Lemony citrus and grapes smells are the most prevalent.

T - Taste follows the nose here with loads of lemony citrus zesty notes followed by the white grape tastes as well as notes from the oak barrels.

M - Crisp, light, medium bodied and to the point, clean.

O - This reminded me a lot of DDG. If I had to choose between the two, considering the difficulty of obtaining CC, I would have to go with DDG. They are both on par in terms of taste, but the difficulty pushes me away.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

I have waited a really long time to try this beer, Some might say too long, But never the less, this was no easy feat to track one down. That being said I was graciously able to acquire through a wonderful west coast friend who took pity on my plea. The was a 2008 vintage bottle, served out of the cellar at around 50 degrees and poured into my darkness snifter, let the games begin.

As I pour it out, I have to admit I am a bit nervous here. Maybe it is the high expectations I have for this brew, perhaps the preconceived notions are getting to me, no matter. Pours out a very nice and cloudy orange tinted amber color. I could not see through the glass when held up to the light. Nice fizzy head rises quickly to about an inch and a half and then faded away into the night, leaving an almost bare top, well after a few minutes it was a totally bare top. Some light carbonation could be seen inside the glass and a good bit of sediment getting stirred up in the bottle.

Aroma is a tar bomb off the bat, but not enormously sour. Much more complex then then that. Light notes of citrus, orange, semi sweet notes as well coming though as it warms. Deep horse funk apparent as well now. So I go in, for my first sip of Cable Car, and I have to admit it is much more mellow then I thought it would be. Seriously though, I was expecting this deep, wretchedly sour ale and this was not the case. It was remarkably smooth, almost sinisterly so. Deep funky notes predominate, with early touches of white grapes and tart apples. Soo damn smooth though. A bit light on the carbonation in the feel, left me looking for a little more, but damn the taste is unreal. Cannot really compare it too much else. It is just amazing drinkable. The first glass went down like water for me, but half way through the second the ABV starts to kick in and I am feeling it as I type this for sure. Still though I find myself wanted to take bigger and bigger sips, it just that smooth. The finish had to be the driest I can recall with all moisture being sucked from the palate almost immediatly.

Overall wow. The taste was just out of this world. It could have used a bit more pop in the carbonation and appearence but that being said it was still unreal. Super damn drinkable and just absurd. Worth the hunt as I cannot compare it to anything else.

Cable Car from The Lost Abbey