Cable Car - The Lost Abbey

Cable CarCable Car

Wants: 2,334
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: stephendr on 08-12-2007)
4.2/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2010 vintage, at Toronado SF (of course, where else?).

A - Slightly hazy straw-yellow, with a large rocky off-white head. Nice retention and lacing.

S - Okay, so I've heard plenty of reports -- from some people whose opinions I respect -- of sulfurous odors and such. I'm happy to say that I didn't get that at all in my bottle. I also shared it with a couple of people next to me and the bartender just to make sure, and no one had that experience. Not sure if I just got a good bottle or what. Anyway, plenty of lemon, lots of barnyard funk, and a good dose of oak. Very pleasant.

T - Pucking sourness right off the bat. Lemony flavors smack you in the face, and then the vinegar takes over. Oak is all up in your face. The funkiness really dominates, and I mean that in the best possible way. The citrus cuts through it in the end. Long dry finish. Very little alcohol evident.

M - Very nicely carbonated, with almost a creamy feel at times, and at other times almost champagne-like. Light and dry.

D - After most of a bottle, this didn't faze me too much. The flavors would keep me coming back if not for the obvious cost issue.

O - Hmmm. Is this a beer that I would cross the world for? Or pay $40 for again? Well, probably not. It's too similar to several cheaper, although also very limited, beers that I have in the cellar. But is it a beer that I'm very glad to have tried? Absolutely.

djmichaelk, Sep 05, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -50.2%

2010 vintage. Chilled bottle into a glass. Got a sample at the T23 party thanks to some generous BAs. From notes.

A: Pours a cloudy, pale straw body; it is well carbonated and maintains a solid cap.

S: Sulfurous eggs. This is comically bad. It is actually an offensive odor; there is no way I am going to give this a higher score in the smell department.

T: Vinegar, tart lemon, mild hay, oak. I pick up some tropical fruit as well. This is worlds better than the nose. A bit on the sweet side, and I'd like to see this funkier instead of being a straight sour, but it's still good.

M: Well-carbonated, effervescent. Goes down quite well. Foamy in the finish.

D: $40 for this beer is idiotic. If it were outstanding, I might consider paying it; but for a beer that is a misfire out of the gate and needs time to improve (if it even does), no.

Arbitrator, Sep 04, 2010
4.55/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to some very generous California BA's, I was able to do a full four year vertical involving 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. I am going to start from most recent version and work my way back.

2010 vintage
I bought a room temperature bottle of Cable Car 2010 first thing on Toronados 23rd Anniversary. I popped the cork and poured two servings. The color was closer to milky white and poured a white fluffy head that eventually left. It smelled borderline offensive, with a sulfur and egg white smell I was a little taken back by the extreme funk. I finally decided by the end of the glass compared to the other years that the smell was entirely offensive and disgusting. It tasted pretty good though, but was a bit of a let down. I later ordered a 2009 bottle and realized that this years batch was 'off' and not to par with the previous years. It tasted of extreme barnyard and must reminding me of some older Fantome beers I have consumed. It had a good carbonation and was drinkable, but the smell was distracting.

2009 vintage
After trying the 2010 vintage I suspected that something was not right and the hype surrounding this beer was for a reason. So I ordered a 2009 vintage and was pleasantly surprised by what I thought was the best year of the four. It had a great champagne color that had a nice white finely carbonated head that left pretty fast. It was oily in nature and incredible delicious. It had great lemon and grapefruit tart flavors with awesome lambic-like sourness. It just had a great lactic and pedio sourness that brought out a great tropical fruit flavor. It was highly carbonated which was perfect for this vintage, the palate was getting entertained from multiple levels. Sourness, carbonation, fruit flavors, awesome beer that I could drink multiple bottles of in one sitting. Delicious.

2008 vintage
After pairing the 2010 and 2009 vintages Nerd graciously told us that we had the 2008 and 2007 vintages to compare as well. So we got a healthy pour of each vintage, and I was surprised to learn how different they are were. The 2008 is probably tied or a little less awesome than the 2009. It has a little darker golden color with a head that leaves almost immediately. It smelled a little less fruity than it did must and horseblanket. Still owns a great flavor, really bitter orange peel with grapefruit. Peach and apricot are so fresh and upfront that it gives me reassurance that the hype around these bottles is well deserved. Again, highly carbonated with the flavors on this make it an amazingly drinkable sour.

2007 vintage.
My third favorite in the series, you could tell this one is on its way out. I would guess that a year ago this would be amazing, but right now it is a bit muddled and 'silent'. It was a lighter gold color with a head that actually lasted a second or two. It was a bit thinner than the previous two versions but surprisingly enough had a great deal of funk left. Lots of wet dog and mostly must, it was a great sour that was starting to take full circle into a 'funk' type category. It kind of had a stale basement taste, but I didn't mind at this point because I was getting deep in the inebriated category.

Thanks goes to the California and specifically the bay area crew, nerd being the king of generosity. A great day that will be remembered for days to come.

J

Jmoore50, Aug 16, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -8.7%

2010 Bottle poured into tulip at Toronado in San Diego

Appearance- Pale straw with thick white fluffy head and nice carbonation

Smell - The first thing that I noticed right of the bat obviously was the sourness with some citrus and cherry notes

Taste - Sour cherries and some citrus just like the nose. Some have commented on a sulfuric taste/smell to this beer which I noticed a slight flavor of; however I did not find it overpowering. This is a very mellow sour beer

Mouth-Lightly puckering with nice carbonation

Drink- Easy drinking beer, especially for a sour, possibly too easy of a beer for this style. Overall a good and well balanced beer, but could have used a little more flavor. I will be interested to see how this beer matures over time in comparison to the previous vintages.

tjfinkle, Aug 16, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -8.7%

2010 @ toronado San Fran

Pours a lignite straw yellow with a hit of haze and a nice tall fizzy head.

Lots of lemon and vinegar on the nose. Subtle malt and citrus hops. Light oak character in the back.

Taste was similar to the smell. Lots of lemon zest with a strong vinegar sourness to it. The malt character really was noticeable in the back. This really reminded me of a gueuze.

Lots of carbonation with a light body. Slight dryness.

Now that I have had this fresh, I prefer this aged. The aged 2007 seemed to have more fruit flavors where as this came across as a fresh unbalanced gueuze. Would I pay forty a bottle again? Most likely...

hooliganlife, Aug 14, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

2009 vintage bottle at Toronado SD on 6/30. Review from notes.

a - Hazy deep golden, half inch white head with decent retention and lacing

s - Big lemon and apricot notes mixed with a heavy dose dirty gym socks, best funkiness i've had from an American sour

t - Big sour lemon, apricot and peach burst up front, b.o. funk on the midpalate along with more tart citrus, finish is a heavy lingering lemon and peach tartness with lighter barnyard funk, alcohol is hardly noticeable, really incredible stuff

m - Medium bodied with higher carbonation, very sprtzy on the palate, very dry finish, very good for the style

d - The complexity and absence of alcohol tastes make this stuff incredibly drinkable, intense but not wearing on the palate either, the price tag and rarity are the only things working against it

This one lived up to the hype for me.  This is probably the second best American sour that I've had after RR Deviation, and slightly ahead of RR Beatification.  Well done, Tomme!

WeisGuy, Jul 06, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -2.4%

Another impossible bottle that had eluded me until now.
Thanks to Anwar for sharing this gem!

Review from notes, early first vintage 2007.

Into a wine glass it poured a glowing orange, with a slight haze but surprisingly some clarity as well. Visible rising carbonation, a thin ring of foam at the edges, and a ghostly wispy skim across the surface. No lace remained in the glass.

Bright fruity aroma, a blended cocktail of sweetish grapefruit, white grape, lychee, and lemon. Oaky too, with a mild spice, and some minerals.

Puckering and tart, balanced sourness, lemon, orange, and grapefruit blend seamlessly. It lingers on the palate, with traces of oak, citrus, and grape. Salivary glands kick into overdrive. Clean and quenching sourness, balanced with a good deal of wild complexity. Unique but maybe not the pinnacle sour ale from Lost Abbey. Thanks again Anwar for the opportunity!

emerge077, Jun 21, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From notes. Thanks alcstradamus for the chance to try this one.

Colored somewhere between light brown and yellow, murky, but possibly due to transportation of the beer. Average sized head, off white, average retention although the successive pours were small to judge the retention.
Aroma is funky, leathery, cheesy, with some fruity and acidic notes as well as a buttery hint. Nice, not spectacular. Oak notes are modest.
Light to medium bodied, it again suffers from under carbonation. It is not flat like some of their other offerings, but it would be significantly better had a bit more carbonation been present.
Flavor is fruity, and funky; nice but again well short of spectacular. Dry for most of it, but not significantly sour/puckering/tart. It definitely lacks in that department. Yeasty notes are present as well.
This is a good, pleasant beer, but by no means worth the hype, or the price tag.
I was very glad and thankful for the opportunity, but solidifies my poor overall impression of Lost Abbey.

brdc, May 29, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -8.3%

A - Yellow, really not more than a nice pale yellow, with a big white head.

S - Vinegar/wine influence, some oak, little bit grassy. Lemon, citrus, pears, light apple, round out the scent on this one.

T - Light tasting, little grassy, some peach, apricot, apple, pear, nothing overpowering, not too terribly sweet, a bit tart. This is a very solid sour/wild ale, but not the best I have had. Little bit of funk, nicely complex.

M - Light, nice bubbly carbonation. Dry finish.

D - Very drinkable, as it is happily complex and there is nothing overpowering going on here.

AgentZero, May 24, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -3.3%

2008 Vintage.

A: Pours a light, somewhat hazy apricot color with a nice white head and a decent amount of lacing.

S: The initial smell is quite sweet and balanced. The sourness is assertive but not at all overwhelming. Picked up quite a few notes of apricot and peach.

T: Similar to the nose in that there is a surprising amount of balance to this, unlike most other Lost Abbey sours that I've come across. Nice stone fruit flavors alongside the lactic sourness. Overall, a very nice balance, just not quite what I was expecting. Hints of orange and lemon zest.

M: Nice sourness and low carbonation.

D: Very drinkable all around for a sour. Definitely glad to finally be able to try this one out and would love to have it again, although it's definitely not quite up there with Isabelle and Veritas 004.

Thorpe429, May 18, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -4.4%

My journey into sours' next stop is another long time want... '09 vintage.

Pours yellow with a large, white head.

Smells of citrus with grapes and peaches. Some vinegar with some puckering sourness.

A shockingly robust amount of citrus bombards the tongue. Mild sourness... am able to pick out those peaches and grapes I smelled. Wet hay and slight leather notes round it out. Delicious.

Perfect carbonation with some serious drinkability for a sour as it's not too sour. Amazing stuff.

rudylaw, May 18, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottle consumed at Toronado San Diego - been waiting a while to try this one.

Pours a slightly hazy golden-peach color with a two-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of funk - wet hay and leather is the best way I can describe it - along with good amounts of sugar-coated fruits - apricots, pears, and peaches, in that order.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Indistinct malt flavors serve as the backbone and allow funk and fruit flavors to run roughshod. A funkiness as described above permeates the flavor profile, although there's also a certain harsher (though not in a bad way) addition to the flavor profile via the oak. Ripe apricot and peach flavors are at the forefront with syrupt pear flavors lurking in the background. The ending is crisp and leaves just a hint of funkiness lingering on the palate.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more. The flavors are all robust but manage to complement each other very well.

Overall this beer didn't disappoint. It isn't the best sour that I've ever had but it does come very close. Well worth the shot if you can get your hands on it.

glid02, May 14, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -10.5%

I had this 2009 bottle at dld. The beer is a murky gold not much to note. The aroma is complex starting out with lemon citrus, earthiness, and some nice tartness. The taste is the same light citrus to start some nice tart not sour notes. I had this amind veritas 003, 004 and yellow bus. It held its one but not a top wild ale.

2007 bottle thanks to Sean. Found this to be very sweet.

jrallen34, May 03, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -7.9%

2009 bottle caged and corked

A: poured a murky orange yellow with a finger white head that had decent sticky lacing.

S: great nose that consisted of lemons apples little funk and hints of vinegar. I always wondered what this beer would smell like.

T: The taste almost mirrors the smell with lots of lemons and apples hitting the palette with fruity sourness and a slight dry finish.

M: has a medium body with good bubbly carbonation that compliments the taste.

D: chased this beer for a couple months and was not dissapointed. I could drink quite a bit of this beer if it was avaliable like that.

Gobzilla, May 01, 2010

Review 500... finally!!!

2009 Vintage

A: Like golden-orange body. Thin white bubbly head. Quickly receded and left traces of lacing behind on the glass.

S: Delicate, like fruits including peaches, apricots, lemons, and green apples. Lightly sour in the nose with a nice subtle funkyness.

T: Bam. This was good. When it comes to sours I am a sucker for the lighter citric wilds (brute, temtpation, sactification, fou foune). This one is bangin. Lots of soft peaches and apricots. An acidic lemon twist and a nice sour green apple. Some subtle tart grape skins rounds out this treat.

M: Medium bodied with a gentle rolling carbonation throughout. Sweet, tart, sour and funky. This definitely a challenging workout for the tastebuds. In the end its got a nice dry refreshing quality that leaves you thoroughly satiated.

D: Yeah. This is good. Real, real good. Wish I had more. But sadly this is it.

callmemickey, Apr 30, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle split by me at our pre-Dark Lord Day tasting. Thanks me! Reviewed from notes

Pours a cloudy golden color with 2 fingers of head in my small tasting glass. The aroma is intensely tart with a mixed back of fruits including lemons, pears, and apple. Exactly what I would hope for.

The flavor is very tart and dominated by white grapes and lemon. Mouth puckering-ly sour and accompanied by a light and balanced funkiness. Well rounded and integrated flavors and very tasty.

The body is medium/full and the carbonation is about perfect for the style. Overall this one met my expectations and was definitely memorable. One of the better American Wild Ales I've had the pleasure of drinking.

alcstradamus, Apr 26, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this bottle at a tasting. 2007 version.

Cable Car pours an orange gold color that looks like it would be somewhat clear, but is actually completely hazed. The head is just about non existent, and even a swirl produces only a thin wisp.

The aroma is intense, fruity, and sour. There is a little bit of cellar like mustiness to it, and only a touch of funk. Sour lemons make up most of the nose, along with a background of some peach like fruitiness. This is intense, but pleasant throughout.

The taste is impressively sour with a good, mouth puckering lemon sourness. A bit of sweetness adds a candy like complexity which is great. It reminds me of one of those powdery, sour jawbreaker type candies I used to get in gumball machines. The finish is dry and very puckering.

The mouthfeel is nice and light, with a good level of "tiny bubble" carbonation to make it refreshing and easy to drink. I would love to have more of this. I'm very glad I got to try this.

jeffthecheff, Apr 19, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -3.3%

Had this on tap at Tornado during SF Beer week.
Cable Car 09 by Lost Abbey is an American Wild Ale aged in oak barrels and 7%. It poured a hazy straw yellow. It smelled very sour, some Chardonnay notes, citrus, oak, wood and some funk. It tasted like citrus, lemon, a hint of pineapple, oak, wood and extremely sour from start to finish with some good bitterness in there as well. It was the tartest of the evening.

femALEist, Mar 25, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +0.4%

Thanks to mjn5036 for sharing this bottle at a recent tasting. Poured into a mini goblet. The beer pours a hazy golden yellow with a bubbly white head that leaves little lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell is crisp sweet ripe fruits (apricots and pears), sharp alcohol, musty funky barrel oakiness, hay and a more subtle than expected lemon and green apple sourness.

The taste is much more tart than the smell, the funky oak and hay characters jump on top of the lemon zestiness and really take you for a ride right out of the gate. There is not much balance to this one, but it's not expected and not necessary. This is a sour beer.

The beer is very carbonated, which is something I really appreciate for this style. I think the carbonation compliments the sharp fruit flavors and overtly sour tones of the beer, there is a nice dry finish that leaves the palate feeling nice and clean and craving more. The crisp flavors, dry finish and well masked alcohol make this beer very drinkable.

rpstevens, Mar 15, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -10.9%

50th review! Thanks to Mike for splitting this with a couple good friends. Poured from an '08 vintage 750mL bottle into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Ring of carbonation glows around the inner glass, light golden with a touch of caramel color, and hazy.

S: Apricots and lemons - and that's all you need. The smell intensifies as the beer warms up to room temp.

T: The perfect blend of fruitiness and funk. Wet hay, sourness, and hints of tangerine combine to create a tangy taste.

M: Smooth carbonation; light and tingly feeling hits the tongue and then the whole mouth.

D: Easygoing; not too funky or sour. I could drink plenty of this.

Overall, I found this to be right in the middle of Isabelle Proximus (funky) and DDG (fruity). I'd like to think of this beer as the definition of a sour.

hoppymcgee, Mar 12, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -9.8%

2007 Vintage

A: The pour is a very hazy golden yellow color without much head and very little retention.

S: The nose is full of lactic tartness with a mild mustiness and a pleasant barnyard funk. The sourness is primarily in the form of lemon and green apples.

T: The flavor is highly sour with plenty of lemony lactic acid and a touch of vinegar. The funk is much more subdued than the nose would lead you to believe.

M: The body is light to medium with a full carbonation and a nice dry finish.

D: This particular bottle was the best of the Cable Car pours that I've had. A solid sourness and nice fruit character, but a little lacking in the "funk" department.

womencantsail, Feb 25, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -2.4%

Had this on tap at Toronado SD during SD Beer Week alongside the mighty Kegatron.

Appearance is pretty good, sort of a copper orange body topped with a super thin yet bright white head. Small ring sticks around and leaves a slight lace.

Can tell from the aroma that this beer is going to be sour as all hell. Smells a bit like sweet and sour sauce with some green apple highlights and sour cherry notes.

Taste is a lot of the same, sweet up front with some apricot, orange, cherry, lemon and citrus which is followed up quickly by a lingering sourness that is challenging to my palate. Stoney fruits finish it up on the swallow.

Super vibrant and poppy in the mouth, medium chewiness and pretty slick.

Drinkability was higher than I originally thought upon first sip. As you become acustomed to the sourness it goes down easier and easier until you want to just chug the whole glass. It's kind of like drinking the sweet tarts candy :)

Bubba83, Feb 21, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2009 vintage. Thanks to Floydster for this one.

A: Pours a nice palish yellow hue with a very tall white head. Above average retention with a few spots of lace.

S: Wonderful aromas of citrus with mild notes of tart peaches. Yeast, vinegar, tart, and sourness... Yum.

T: Wonderful citrus up front. Acidic, but not overthetop. Mild vinegar with hints of peach, apricot, and light woody notes. There is some wet hay goodness, with hints of leather and barnyard.

M: Medium in body, snappy carbonation and the acidity bites at the tongue a bit.

N: Not overly tart or sour. Well done, and damn tasty for sure.

tpd975, Feb 20, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +7%

Served on tap at Toronado in a six ounce glass.

There aren't many beers that are hyped as much as cable car that are genuinely this good. I love me a good wicked tart beer and this qualifies. Both the aroma and the flavor are pungently tart and dry with a touch of the horse blanket. It is still pretty smooth despite the intense tartness. Perhaps a bit of apple in there also. One of the driest beer beers in the aftertaste, perhaps almost a bit too much. Overall, a terriffic beer.

drseamus, Feb 08, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -2.4%

2007 Vintage. This beer is amazing, plain and simple.

Beer is yellow and slightly hazy. Forms large bubbles and a large but diffuse head of very large bubbles. Carbonation is steady and strong.

STRONG chardonnay like aroma. Very sour in the nose with a slight funk that becomes more obvious the more you smell.

Beer is medium to low bodied and has a slightly citric sourness to it. Nothing much in the forward but there is a definite and growing sourness in the back of the mouth. Drinkability for this beer is really high and mouthfeel is great. Lots of carbonation on the tongue contributes to the overall sourness and feel of this beer. I'm in love.

drabmuh, Jan 25, 2010