Cable Car - The Lost Abbey

Wants: 2,581
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: stephendr on 08-12-2007

09' Bottle opened for my coworker and I at Toronado SD 6/29/11. What a treat!

Pops open with a bit of a gush, but the pour smacks the head in the face and you get a pour with almost no head. Bubbles gently caress the outskirts of the bottle. It pours a golden rod yellow and is very opaque. The smell is very fruity, but not very yeasty as some American Wild Ales tend to be. The tartness is also very well toned down in this beer. The mouthfeel on this beer is very playful its not too light. A very refreshing beer! Overall this beer is a definite A+ but the drinkability of it is kind of low unless you have an in with Toronado crew. (637 characters)

Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a Duvel tulip. Opened with a loud pop and the corked rushed out of the bottle. No LA carb issues on this one. Good looking front label and good tribute on the back to the Toronado. 2009 version. It was a hazy golden yellow with massive carb streams from both the etching and throughout the beer. It had a 2 finger white head that very slowly settled into a constant foam cap fed by the carbonation. Great lacing with a lot of it sticking on the sides.

The aroma was amazing. Sour, funky, lemon and other fruits, wood and yeast. Not as much horse blanket as others but still one of the best smelling wild ales out there. Was constantly swirling it and taking huge inhales. The taste was also exceptional and followed the aroma. Great sour bite from the start that never lets up before the near eye puckering finish. Great fruity and wood balance to offset the sour. Again, one of the best wild ales out there. Mouthfeel was tart with lots of carbonation and a dryish finish.

Overall, a world class wild ale that earns all the hype and high ratings. Highest recommendation - you must try this especially if you love wild ales. A bitch to find but so worth it. Rotation - not avail in TX. Extremely rare release. If I could, I'd have a bottle constantly in my fridge and cellar. As is, I'll keep searching for a trade as well as having at the Toronado-San Diego during my soon to be annual trips out there. (1,454 characters)

Excellent beer. Pretty much all I drank first night of '10 GABF. Great glowing pour, silky head. Nose is quite sour with lots of fruit and sweet malt notes. Taste is perfectly balanced. Belgianesque as usual Vinny. Cimplex and refreshing. Great stuff. Could drink any time. (273 characters)

Detailed notes from my sidekick 3. Sampled on-tap and in the bottle at the Toronado 20th anniv party.

Golden. with a small white head, minimal, but nice lacing. Aromas are super funky sour barnyard like beatification on crack. Super sour almost bile like with a wonderful wild and wiley yeast portfolio. Light, buttery, and wine like. Not unlike a smooth cantillon gueuze. Probably the best gueuze like wild ale ever produced by an American brewer. (449 characters)

Many thanks to metallitone1 for providing Phatz with this beer. Shared very graciously by a great host. Cheers!

Appearance: Golden in color with a moderately sized white head and lots of apparent carbonation. Lacing is generous and clingy.

Smell: This is what sours are made to be. Brettanomyces and other wild yeast strains make a wildly complex aroma that is profound. Overripe apples, lemon peel, freshly baled hay, orange rind, barnyard mustiness and freshly ground pepper. Quite endearing.

Taste: Wow. These wild yeasts are superb at creating complex flavors. Lemon, hay, funky tart sweet apple cider, allspice, coriander, citric acid, blood orange, and fresh peppercorns. I''m sure you could pontificate all the flavors that arise because of the shear complexity of this beer. Five for flavor.

Mouthfeel: Pretty much everything a wild beer shoudl be. I found it to be bubbly and lively like a champagne, with an alcohol presence to remind you of its strength. Most importantly, this beer is sour and tart in the forefront and midground but finishes with a soft and supple swallow that furthers the already complex nature of it.

Drinkability: This beer certainly lived up to all the hype that surrounds it. I feel lucky to have quaffed it with other knowledgable advocates of beer. If you are a fan of sours, this is your nirvana. Seek it out at all costs and please share some with me. A bombshell of a beer. While I am hesitant to give this beer all fives, I do not think there are others out there that will match its complexity and well rounded aromas/flavors/mouthfeels. Each area is like a yin/yang of sour/sweet, sour/soft, fruity/spicy which is more than can be said for other beers that can present themselves as superb one dimensional beers, but not all encompassing. I would consume this beer with any meal and feel confident that it would pair well. I'm eager to try it again. I want the remaining 99 bottles. (1,931 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

2010 Vintage. At Toronado of course.

Murky golden body with a bone white frothy head that lingers and leaves a nice lacing.

Tons of oak aromas. Pleasant barn yard sourness. Not over done at all. Lemon and some faint fruit aromas.

Very good sourness, tart but not abusive in any way. Tons of buttery oak. Great earthiness with grass tones.

This is a great sour. So well done. I understand the hype on this beer. (418 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

I have now had this three different times and it is definitely time to review it, I have had it on tap at Toronado in San Francisco back in August, bottle of batch two shared at a tasting a few months back, and recently 750 ml bottles of batch one and two side by side courtesy of Ian, this review is a mixture of both of those bottles which I had last week, reviewed from notes, each were poured into a tulip glass

A-Golden orange color with some highlights, thin 1/2 inch very bubbly white head, good retention for a sour and the head does not go away for about five minutes, very nice wine-like legs, some lacing at the top of the glass
S-Lemons, peaches, grassy accents, grapefruit, earthiness, other citrus, strawberries, funkiness, brett, pineapple, green apples, leather, oak, grains, herbs, light peaches, cherries, limes, and tons of tropical fruits, one of the best smelling beers of all time
T-Flavor has so many different fruits that it just sends your palate on a joy ride, starts off tart and ends that same way, has a huge underlying citrus backbone, love the grainy and rustic feel in the middle with that nice funk to go along with the sourness, that is what really separates this beer from the rest of the field, it does not blow you away with crazy amounts of tart, instead it is more balanced while still maintaining a great sour feel, never overpowers you, gets more complex as it warms and the granny smith apple flavor become awesome by the end, can go on and on about this beer's taste but hopefully this gives people a better idea of what to expect
M-Lively carbonation, medium bodied, zesty, sour, tart, citrusy, and fruity mouthfeel, taste lingers a long time but you never want it to go away
D-I could drink tons of this and I have, had three glasses when at Toronado, it is amazing because you cannot taste any alcohol and it is no lightweight at seven percent, very light on the stomach even though it is pretty acidic, this stuff is very refreshing and taste good both chilled and warm

Rating #1,300, I will admit that I have enjoyed the first batch a lot more than the second, it was more aggressively sour while the other batch was more subtle and mild, still mouth puckering though, I wish this brew was not only available at one place in the world because I would drink it all the time if that was not the case, this is worth all the hype indeed, this is truly one of the best sours I have ever had and probably will ever have, hopefully Tomme brews this for Toronado in the upcoming years because it is well worth the seven hour drive up to San Francisco to buy some, this brew is a masterpiece, cannot recommend this enough (2,663 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

2009 Bottle at Toronado SF.

Beautiful, glowing golden beer with a flawless nose, taste, and mouthfeel. An absolute perfect sour that I recommend trying as soon as possible. It's improved since I had it when new, but I struggle to imagine it getting any better with more time, mainly because I can't imagine any sour, and maybe any beer, tasting better than this.

I've never had anything perfect. But this was. (411 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +11.3%

Big thanks go out to FooFaa for busting this out at a recent tasting. I've wanted to try this beer for a very long time so I was really psyched to try it. Thanks a bunch Dan!

Pours a dark golden ripe banana color that is slightly murky with a one finger off-white head that quickly fades into a lasting ring. There is very minimal lacing, only small spots here and there.

Very funky aroma with some nice barnyard, horseblankety goodness. Lots of crisp golden fruits, apple, pear, grape, etc and a nice dusty earthy oak character. Just the smell of this beer made my mouth water. I literally sniffed my glass for several minutes before even taking a sip.

This beer has a perfect balance of intense puckering tart barnyard funk, horseblanket notes, slightly lactic and acidic but not too much so. Tart and sour intensity up front that settles into some beautiful light crisp golden fruit notes. Hints of apple, pear, grapefruit, light grape followed by more funky brett oaky sourness which lingers into the amazing mouthwatering finish. Very dry yet sweet and crisp with an amazing crisp dry tart puckering finish.

This is an amazing beer that for me truly lived up to the hype. It is just a perfect blend of tart/puckering sourness, crisp delicious fruit notes and a dry sweet yet tart delectable finish. This beer tasted better with each sip and my mouth was literally watering in anticipation of each sip. This is one of the most complex, flavorful sours I've ever had and I cannot recommend it any higher. I only wish I had more. (1,536 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +11.3%

Many thanks to Wespatrick for a sample of a brew that will always stand out in my mind as one of the best. 2007 vintage.

Sunshine through the fog, a languid yellow/orange liquid that's foggy, yet light. The cloud-puffs on top linger for a moment or two, then drop away.
We've been running back and forth in the back yard, we children, pretending to attempt to catch the fog, though we know in our hearts that we have already arrived. So what can you say of the aromas? Immense lemon-citrus, a minor funk note overridden by the sheer tartness, but there's also a clean, tearful metallic rainwater note that simply makes one imagine what the angels must be taking in as they float along through the clouds in all of those old paintings...
And the flavour does not disappoint whatsoever, a mouthfeel that is clean, light, dry and bubbly, melding perfectly through the wash of flavours that are simply heavenly, the immense tartness and sour that is somehow still very, very approachable and very drinkable. The citrus notes still dominate, there's a flash of sweetness on the palate and just a touch of an old barnyard, along with the dense rainwater fog that we breathe in as we run, huffing and puffing and dreaming of heaven.
We'll continue to try to catch it, catch the fog, but we will never understand what it will be like until we're there, gleaming white robes, the airy, tearful metallic tartness that reminds of sunny fog, rainy sunshine, the most beautiful days on earth. (1,480 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

I must first thank metallitone1 aka (deftim13) for this spectacular treat. A better man have only walked the earth once, since the beginning of time. Tim you a great man and good friend, and I feel honored to have made your acquaintance. I sure hope Tomme Arthur makes more of this beer. It is worth the price you need to pay whatever that may be. I *love* sour wild ales and this is a masterpiece.
This beer is quite different from but as good as “Supplication” [also provided by metallitone1]. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to share this beer with Hopdog, egajdzis, weeare138, froggyfrog, and Risser09.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with magnificent lacing on the walls of my snifter glass. The head is slightly off white and the carbonation is lively.

Smell: It has a huge bold sour cherries and Brettanomyces funky aroma that flood the nose with aged lambic like acidity is that the Pediococcus, I believe. Who cares! It is sensational. The citric rind, apple-cider vinegar woodyness and the plethora of magnificent indescribable aromas left me salivating like a dog.

Taste: How could the flavor live up to such a grand aroma? IT DOES! Sourness, abounds with fruits and sweet and tart flavors that run the gamut. Apricot lemon cherry wood and large sour apple with a funky yeast and Lactobacillus presence that gives its spectacular sour attribute. It makes my mouth pucker in pleasure on each and every sip. There is a spice element clinging to my cheeks in the aftertaste, like cinnamon, vanilla and ginger along with the sourness. Each tastes beckons the next.

Mouthfeel: The sour sting and the light carbonation a fairly acidic body give this a very lambic-like mouthfeel. Dry and long-lingering.

Drinkability: If the Egyptians had it right with their tombs; I want my sarcophagus placed in a conditioning tank full of Cable Car so I can drink it for eternity. Otherwise, I am certain this will be the flavor of my heaven. This is a beer I could drink day and night, if only it were available.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (2,068 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

This beer goes down perfectly, with each taste making you crave more. Smooth, mouth watering sour that has that special juicyness that few beers have. Definitely world class and standing on top. (196 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +10.6%

Reviewing the 2012 vintage of the infamous Cable Car from The Lost Abbey out of San Marcos, California. Major thank you to Kevin Fujii and Tyler Shaughnessy for helping me acquire this brew!

Score: 99

2012 vintage bottle served in an Upland snifter and enjoyed on 05/18/13 side-by-side with a bottle of 2010 Duck Duck Goose as part of our Chicago Craft Beer Week whales tasting. Review is from iPhone notes.

Appearance: Pours a dull golden-orange color with a thin layer of fizzy head that settles to a ring around the glass. No lacing or retention. Average golden ale-like appearance 3.5/5

Smell: Lactobacillus, vinegar, lemon, mango and a hint of tart apples. Has an imitation "Cantillon dust"-like aroma that I absolutely dig. Light fruitiness. Acidic nose. White grape too. 5/5

Taste: Mango, lemon, lacto and acidic grape. Very tart and dry. 5/5

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied, perfect carbonation. Big in flavor, quite tart. Juicy on the palate, dry on the finish. 5/5

Overall: Absolutely love this beer. It's bold, zesty and tart, while not being very funky. In this regard, it is my ideal sour. It could be more complex, but this brew absolutely delivers in what it brings to the table

Cost: $40 for a 750 ml bottle. (1,234 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +10.1%

Served on tap at Toronado in a six ounce glass.

There aren't many beers that are hyped as much as cable car that are genuinely this good. I love me a good wicked tart beer and this qualifies. Both the aroma and the flavor are pungently tart and dry with a touch of the horse blanket. It is still pretty smooth despite the intense tartness. Perhaps a bit of apple in there also. One of the driest beer beers in the aftertaste, perhaps almost a bit too much. Overall, a terriffic beer. (485 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle purchased at Toronado SF. I don't think comparisons to any Belgian sours are fair, it's just a different style. To me this was a huge apple/pear bomb. Happy I had the chance to try for $60. (196 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +9.7%

Thanks to cloudskipper for this Batch 2 bottle. Shared with bgramer last night. Pours bubbly hazy yellow with a small layer of foam on top. Aroma begins with green apples, lemon and barnyard; pineapple, wood, light banana, cobweb; musty and more funky as it warmed up. Flavor was lots of green apple, tart grapes, lemon, subtle funk at beginning; slight oaky tannins, banana, and a slight alcohol bite as it warmed; slight corn in after taste. As it got completely to room temp it was like juicy ripe pineapple and got more sweet overall. It coats the mouth with tingly bubbles and leaves a lasting impression on the palate. I absolutely loved this one; it had so many layers and subtle flavors/smells. (702 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +9.2%

Bottle shared very generously by Shane. Enjoyed with the company of Shane, Chris and Patrick. What an evening!
Pours a very hazy, murky, light gold in color. There's a nice sheen of froth sitting atop the beer. It stays throughout the entirety and leaves webby lacing that falls as the level of beer recedes in your glass.
Smell is sour, light fruit and has many wine-like qualities. Plenty of oak and tannins appear throughout. Taste is sour, but not lip puckering sour. Very balanced and damn near perfect if not perfect. Unlike many sours that are unbalanced and so puckering that your mouth implodes, this one is amazingly balanced and dangerously drinkable. You really have to hold back drinking this beer. The quandry of thoroughly indulging in the beer and knowing in the back of your mind that these may be the last sips of this fabulous beer you ever have.
I could drink this beer all day long and never tire of it. One of the rare beers that truly lives up to and exceeds the hype. Which speaks for itself.
Big thanks again to Shane for sharing. A truly one of a kind beer, with just as amazing company and atmosphere.

Cheers! (1,139 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +9.2%

From 750mL bottle to stemmed wine glass at Toronado San Diego on 11/1/11. What better way to celebrate my 30th birthday then with my #1 want.

Vintage 2010

A: Like fine champagne, it's a beautiful pale 14k gold. A gentle pour yields a white 1.25 head that fizzes down to nil within moments. A surprising amount of thin, white lacing rims the glass.

S: Mild brett, which doesn't overwhelm the beer. Hints of honey, ripe green apples, medium char, a touch of white grape and lemon rind. Spectacular.

T: Unlike any Wild Ale I've had, as the balance here is unmatched. The fore comes across like a Brut Cava. As it hits the mid, the brett sneaks up and washes over the palate. And it's at this point where the beer really shows it's finesse. This is where most brett brews simply can't overcome the wild yeast. But Cable Car is unlike those said ales. Instead, the brett passes the mid and rounds into a crisp, dry finish that showcases the lightly toasted, charry oak. Without question, this is one of the top five beers I've tasted.

M: Superb. It's not too light as many in-style can be. Rather, it's creamy and textured, yet it packs a really bubbly and lively layer of carbonation.

O: Lost Abbey's Cable Car comes about as close to perfect as any brew I've ever encountered. It does everything right, with not only ease, but a deft touch. Absolutely worthy of the epic hype and them some. This brewing masterpiece easily receives my highest recommendation. Happy 30th to me! (1,479 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +9%

2009 vintage bottle at Toronado SD on 6/30. Review from notes.

a - Hazy deep golden, half inch white head with decent retention and lacing

s - Big lemon and apricot notes mixed with a heavy dose dirty gym socks, best funkiness i've had from an American sour

t - Big sour lemon, apricot and peach burst up front, b.o. funk on the midpalate along with more tart citrus, finish is a heavy lingering lemon and peach tartness with lighter barnyard funk, alcohol is hardly noticeable, really incredible stuff

m - Medium bodied with higher carbonation, very sprtzy on the palate, very dry finish, very good for the style

d - The complexity and absence of alcohol tastes make this stuff incredibly drinkable, intense but not wearing on the palate either, the price tag and rarity are the only things working against it

This one lived up to the hype for me.  This is probably the second best American sour that I've had after RR Deviation, and slightly ahead of RR Beatification.  Well done, Tomme! (997 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.6%

Much thanks to Phatz for sharing this rarity of a gem.

Appears a hazy, light gold with a small white head that slowly fades into a mild cap. Lacing is scattered all over the glass like tiger stripes. Streams of CO2 quickly rise to the top.
Smell is of caramel, candy sugar, vanilla, barnyard, funky must, cinnamon, and cardamom, with a touch of apple.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas that meld together in a lemony zest, citrusy, sweet, funky, and tart blend that tantalizes the tastebuds into craving this different but enticing brew.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, chewy, full of candy orange, funk, with a dryness covering the palate with citrusy zest. (654 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.6%

10 bottle shared at the LCBS 10. Golden yellow with pungent peach and horse blanket aromas. This is a sour trolly with sour peach, tart lemon, funk, and brett notes. Can’t wait to revisit this at Toronado...
Update, after flying to San Francisco and bellying up to the bar at Toronado with a bottle of '09 Cable Car; I realized that I might have just hit the apex in my pursuit of sour/wild ales!!! (400 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.6%

Review # 250 - Batch # 2 (Gold "08" in bottom left corner of cable car drawing).

Check this: I shared this one DURING A LEVEL 3 SNOW EMERGENCY in Cincinnati with yetiman420, pwoods and ftownthrowdown. If this wasn't beer advocacy in its' finest moment, I don't know what is!!!

(Also, I forced all my BA buddies to review this beer, also!)

750ml brown bottle corked and caged. Cork removal was graceful... The cork had just the right amount of pressure to make a muted pop as I opened it. My notes were taken on the fly during a brief tasting in Yetiman420's FANTASTIC beer cellar/museum! Thanks, again for hosting!!!

Pours a murky, yet bright golden with orange hues. Great, spotty lacing and a white head with small, highly compacted bubbles. Average head retention leaving a nice 1/8 inch skimming of foam as I drank.

The nose of this one was an interesting and complex mix of vinegar funk up front, followed by moderately sour cherries and hints of green, tart apples.

Following the nose, the taste was a mellow blending of lemon tart, ripe green apples, light assorted citrus, sour cherries finishing with a light vinegar twang/funk. Light bodied and full flavored with ample carbonation throughout. Flavor doesn't linger long, leaving a slightly sour and dry, almost refreshing finish. Pleasantly sour (not a sour bomb like Isabelle was)...

Though my tasting history of American Wild Ales is limited, this was the smoothest and most approachable wild ale I've had so far...

Oh, and for the fella that hooked up me, pwoods, Ftownthrowdown and yetiman420 - THANK YOU (you know who you are!)!!! You can't get a much better gift for a BA friend's review milestone... (1,679 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.6%

2009 version, at Toronado, so glad to finally try it. The first pour was a little hazy and light golden colored, but each successive pour was a little darker and murkier. Judging by aroma and taste, this is exactly what an American wild ale should taste like, at least in my humble opinion. Musty sour barnyard funk, some lemon, this is really not that far from some of the best gueuze I've had in Belgium. Lost Abbey may have some bad press due to carbonation issues on high gravity ales, but they absolutely have wild ales by the balls. The sour bite never infringes on my enjoyment, maybe because it's expertly crafted, or maybe because of severe acclimation to the style. It truly sucks to like something so much when you know you can't easily get it. This will always be on my WANTs list. At least there's Cantillon to hold me over... (839 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Felt this one needed a full review. Acquired my bottle from a friend who was in the right place at the right time. A big thanks to her for scoring me a 2013 vintage of this. This beer poured out as a hazy orange gold color with a foamy white head on top. Lots of bubbles rising to the top and collecting at the surface to hold a strong retention. Decent lacing streaks down the glass with every sip. The smell of the beer is potent, it's pretty funky and rank. Basically it stinks but it's awesome for the style, it's exactly how I would expect it to smell. The taste of the beer has a sharp tartness up front which then settles into a really nice sweet grainy wheat like finish. This beer is very bold yet delicate in flavor, it's hard to explain. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a solid carbonation. The beer is very drinkable. Overall this is definitely something special and I believe it's worth seeking out at least once. I'd love to drink it again one day but I don't want to drop the money on it like I did for this one. (1,030 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

The beer comes in a hazy bright straw yellow.

The aroma has funky hay, apricot, dried peach, and a decent tartness.

The flavor follows of tart lemons, stone fruit and nectarine, onto a medium minus malt backbone with a medium hay funk. There's a drying and tart quality in the back.

This is up there with the best gueuze I've had. It definitely holds back on the funk unlike Drie Fonteinen and Cantillon, but has a wonderful complexities and restraint. (455 characters)

Cable Car from The Lost Abbey