Cable Car - The Lost Abbey

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: stephendr on 08-12-2007

4.82/5  rDev +7.6%

2009 version, at Toronado, so glad to finally try it. The first pour was a little hazy and light golden colored, but each successive pour was a little darker and murkier. Judging by aroma and taste, this is exactly what an American wild ale should taste like, at least in my humble opinion. Musty sour barnyard funk, some lemon, this is really not that far from some of the best gueuze I've had in Belgium. Lost Abbey may have some bad press due to carbonation issues on high gravity ales, but they absolutely have wild ales by the balls. The sour bite never infringes on my enjoyment, maybe because it's expertly crafted, or maybe because of severe acclimation to the style. It truly sucks to like something so much when you know you can't easily get it. This will always be on my WANTs list. At least there's Cantillon to hold me over...

4.81/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Felt this one needed a full review. Acquired my bottle from a friend who was in the right place at the right time. A big thanks to her for scoring me a 2013 vintage of this. This beer poured out as a hazy orange gold color with a foamy white head on top. Lots of bubbles rising to the top and collecting at the surface to hold a strong retention. Decent lacing streaks down the glass with every sip. The smell of the beer is potent, it's pretty funky and rank. Basically it stinks but it's awesome for the style, it's exactly how I would expect it to smell. The taste of the beer has a sharp tartness up front which then settles into a really nice sweet grainy wheat like finish. This beer is very bold yet delicate in flavor, it's hard to explain. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a solid carbonation. The beer is very drinkable. Overall this is definitely something special and I believe it's worth seeking out at least once. I'd love to drink it again one day but I don't want to drop the money on it like I did for this one.

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

The beer comes in a hazy bright straw yellow.

The aroma has funky hay, apricot, dried peach, and a decent tartness.

The flavor follows of tart lemons, stone fruit and nectarine, onto a medium minus malt backbone with a medium hay funk. There's a drying and tart quality in the back.

This is up there with the best gueuze I've had. It definitely holds back on the funk unlike Drie Fonteinen and Cantillon, but has a wonderful complexities and restraint.

4.79/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. 2009 vintage. Thanks to Dunt for bringing this out to the whale tasting.

Appearance: This has a nice hazy golden yellow color with a great compressed creamy off-white head.

Smell: The aroma is sour and funky. Lemon rind, peach, apricot, and grapefruit provide the fruity tartness, with a lot of great barnyard funk and hay.

Taste: Light pale malt flavor, and a flood of fruity sour notes. Apricot, peach, lemon zest, and some grapefruit toward the end. Lots of lactic sourness, a bit of oak, and some vinegar create a full sour flavor.

Mouthfeel: This is tart and quite acidic. Medium body with crisp carbonation. Lactic and vingeary.

Overall: The flavor is great and sour throughout, and each flavor note is so robust, I really enjoyed this beer.

4.77/5  rDev +6.5%

A 750 mL corked and caged bottle (Batch 1) graciously shared by the one and only spacecoyote.

A: The ale is a hazy golden color, a weizen-like melange of sediment and goldenrod. The head held up well through several glasses.

S: The aroma is funky, but not as tart as I expected. A wide array of fruits pop up throughout and add a varied sweetness to the ale.

T: Man oh man! I was expecting the utmost in tartness, the end-all be-all of face pucker, so I was mildly surprised by a reserved tartness that strikes up front and supports the the fruitiness throughout. After the mild tartness, the fruits make themselves known. Apricot, green apple and lots of grapefruit mark the fruitiness. The grapefruit is most memorable, as it is not hop-driven. The finish shows off the flavor, a tart sweetness that really bites at the taste buds. The mix of flavors is incredible, a magnum opus.

M: The mild tartness is refreshing, not so strong that you can't handle repeat sips. The tart fruit flavors are divine.

D: I almost passed out when Carl pulled this one out of his cooler. It is easily one of the most drinkable sour ales that you'll come across.

4.77/5  rDev +6.5%

Notes from tasting the 2007, 2009 and 2010 vintages last weekend. Thanks again Mark! Poured into an Ommegang flute.

2007 bottle:

A - bright, crisp golden body with a quarter-inch of white head on top. Pretty decent lacing after a small swirl.

S - tons of funk, citrus and oak. Really nice nose on this one. Grass, maybe some horse blanket action, oranges and a light hint of cherry or raspberry perhaps?

T - wow, really sour and full of oak and citrus. This is my first time trying the CCs and I can see where their hype comes from. Very tart and dry with a puckering finish, yet the fruit nuances are still there.

M - sour, tart, puckering and dry. Awesome!

O - this beer is something else. Each vintage was different and special in its own way, but I'd say the '07 or '09 were the tops. I'm honestly surprised to see how well these are holding up and think they could go shoulder to shoulder with any of the Loons or 3F out there.

4.77/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Poured a slightly hazy golden-orange color with a finger of frothy crisp white head atop. The head faded slowly to a ring around the glass leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - The aroma is an inviting mix of sour and tart white grape and other fruit flavors. There is also some oak and vanilla as well as a nice mix of funkiness. This is one of the best smelling beers I have ever had period.

T - The beer starts off with a great mix of sour and tart white grapeish flavor. It is quite strong but not too overpowering. The oak flavor jumps in right after and starts to mellow things out a bit. By the middle of the beer, everything feels much more balanced with some vanilla and good funkiness coming through. The finish is bit again on the sour and tart with some good funkiness that linger for a while.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The beer felt very smooth with a great mix of sour and tart throughout.

D - Very drinkable. The sour and tart flavors are outstandingly balanced from start to end here. It was really a pleasure to drink this beer, regardless of the price since I felt it was really that good.

4.77/5  rDev +6.5%

Huge thanks to Jwolfie70 for his incredible generosity over the weekend. Had a chance to sample this along with some other rare brews, as he cracked open his cellar (it took some cracking) to break out some of his Cable Car, Cuvee de Tomme, and other delicacies.

Pours a hazy golden yellow, maybe a hint (just a hint) of orange in there. Given the alcohol content, surprisingly long lasting white foamy head.

A funky beer, but not an overly sour one (and we had some true sours over the weekend). Oak-y, musty yeastiness, a ton of overlapping citrus and unripe fruit flavors, and overlaying it all is that funky funk, which Jwolfie70 likened to "horse manure, but in a good way." Not the description I would use, but I'll add it here.

Not the be-all and end-all of beers, but something truly unique and all-too-rare. Could drink all day. A wonderful carbonation level really lightened it up.

**Tried batch two of this. Seemed like more funk/oak, less complexity. I think the first batch was much better, and given that Tomme informed me (IIRC) that the original recipe was not retained, I can't help but think the second batch was an approximation.

4.76/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into a SP Stem. Thanks Shea for busting this out. CC '13.

A - Cloudy light straw yellow pour with a 1 finger white foam head that slowly recedes back into the glass.

S - Lemony citrus zest here, slightly reminds me of DDG on the nose here. White wine grapes. The Lemony citrus and grapes smells are the most prevalent.

T - Taste follows the nose here with loads of lemony citrus zesty notes followed by the white grape tastes as well as notes from the oak barrels.

M - Crisp, light, medium bodied and to the point, clean.

O - This reminded me a lot of DDG. If I had to choose between the two, considering the difficulty of obtaining CC, I would have to go with DDG. They are both on par in terms of taste, but the difficulty pushes me away.

4.75/5  rDev +6%

2009 Vintage 750mL Bottled poured into a Tulip at Toronado San Diego
Reviewed from Notes

This beer pours a fantastic bright hazy yellow/golden/orange color with a fluffy white head. This is a beautiful looking beer. Leaves minimal lacing. The aroma is very fruit forward being dominated by peaches, apricot, green apple, and citrus (lemon). This beer is incredibly aromatic. The smell just explodes out of this beer. The taste is very dry and tart and follows the smell. Peaches and apricots are present, and the tart sourness very much enhances the flavor. The taste gets better with every sip. This beer goes down almost too easy, it was gone long before I was ready to let it go. The body is light and has a nice amount of carbonation.

Overall this is a fantastic sour. Each sip is more enjoyable all the way to the end of the bottle. Very aromatic and fruity, but not sweet. Drinking amazingly right now. The sour interacts perfectly with the fruity taste.

4.75/5  rDev +6%

A huge thanks to Masterski for getting this for me and sending it along as a great surprise in a recent package. What a treat.

Poured into my tulip glass and a thin wispy bright white head forms. Does recede fairly quickly. The beer is a very bright gold/brass color. Excellent clarity. Some light spotty lacing.

Aroma is fantastic. Bright, some acidic notes, apple comes to mind. Perhaps a touch of lemon.

With the first sip I get very excited as my favorite flavor component of the roasted nuts is present. The tartness is present but with soft round edges. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I thought of Sweet Tart candies. That’s actually a good thing. The bread flavors just below the surface are fantastic. A moment of nectarine and tangerine here. Nice fruit notes. Lot’s going on. There is a salty quality to this that I didn’t expect. Seems to mix well with the nuttiness and bread like qualities. Green apple pops up now and again.

Very delicate body and a wonderful refreshing mouth feel.

This is truly a treat to drink. Believe the hype. Perhaps made even better as it’s been a while since I’ve had a sour. Just fantastic.

Thanks Alex.

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%

Anyone that knows me knows that I've been trying extraordinarily hard to get a bottle of this. And anyone that has ever let it known that they've had a bottle knows this as well. I've offered well over $100 worth of very rare beers, many brewery only release and plenty with less than 1000 bottles made.

I've been drinking beers with Shane(beachbum1975) for the past 8-10months or so. We both trade way more than we should. We've always 'unspokenly' tried to one up one another. Well that mother fucker one upped me to end all one ups... but that doesn't mean I won't stop trying :)

This bottle was a belated Christmas gift and presented to Chris(Yetiman420), Steve(FtownThrowDown), and Me(and of course Shane), as a blind tasting for my 500th review. That bastard also just traded for a bottle of the beer I was getting him for a belated Christmas gift. What a D-Bag!

I honestly cannot express my thanks and gratitude, Shane. This was my Holy Grail beer and now my Lost Abbey bottle collection is finally complete, and what's a better way to do it than with a Tomme Arthur signed bottle of Cable Car! :D

750ml corked and caged brown bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Shared with 3 great BAs.

A: Pours a very murky under ripened grapefruit peel color. A decent sized head forms and holds for a minute or so before falling to a few bubbles. Some spotty lacing throughout.

S: Loads of tart fruits. Lemon, orange, grapefruit, apricot, pineapple, cherries. Some astringent acids from the fruits adds to the tart and sour aromas. Funk is minimal but still lightly present with a touch of wet hay and maybe some light cider vinegar notes.

T/M: The tart and sour fruits are spot on to the nose. Lemon, pineapple, orange are more dominant with cherries and apricot or peach playing more in the back. Really a citrus explosion that is odd in that I normally experience this with loads of bitterness, which this obviously doesn't have. Funkiness is still at a minimum but still retains the wet hay and light cidery notes. I don't think it'd hurt to have some more funk. Tartness really starts to build toward puckering as it quickly warms. Some rustic woody and leathery notes form the barrels. Nice light to medium light body with perfect carbonation. Great dry finish that isn't too tart or abrasive.

D: Extraordinarily drinkable. I could drink this all day every day. The tartness and sourness doesn't linger too strong or long. Very good. Yet again, many thanks to you, Shane. You really made my day and you better watch your back when it's your turn to be given a milestone beer! And a million thanks to the one that traded this to Shane ;)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Drank at Toronado on 7/22. This has been on my wants list for year and finally got out to SF, didn't expect for bottles to be on sale but splurged. Overpriced at $60 but great beer and glad I had the opportunity to try it. Golden color with minimal head and a bit of haze. Aroma was less intense than expected, vinegar and white wine, decent funk. Mouthfeel is light and smooth. Taste is white wine, minimal funk, lemons and bread. Didn't get much oak. Overall great beer, steep price point but would try again if it was $25 or under.

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml cork and cage bottle at Toronado during San Francisco Beer at the Russian River tap take over. Vinnie Cilurzo and Tomme Arthur were hanging out having a beer.

This beer is really a treat. Its just the perfect American take on a classic Belgian Stye. It tasted like sour cherry lemonade. Hints of barnyard funk that were buried under the strong lemon tartness mixed with the perfect hint of cherry sourness. The oak provided an unbelievable barrel character that tied the beer together. It's truly a special beer

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%

From 04/30/11 notes. Got to try this one at Dark Lord Day thanks to Sean9689; huge thanks Sean, this was one of my biggest Wants! 2010 vintage from a swing top bottle.

a - Pours a hazy yellow color with an inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour lemons, other sour fruits, oak, earthy notes. Very nice and sour, though not overally tart. Pretty amazing.

t - Tastes of tart lemon, sour citrus, tart fruits, oak, earthy, grassy notes, and a very light mustiness. Again, absoutely amazing. Not the sourest beer I've ever had, but one of the more enjoyable sour beers.

m - Light to medium body and low to moderate carbonation.

o - Overall one of the best sours I've had; I'm really glad it actually lived up to my expectations. Had a lot of great beers at DLD and this one was probably my favorite. Lots of sour and tart lemons and while not overly sour, it's very refreshing and enjoyable. Would jump at the chance to by a bottle of this one when and if I make it out to Toronado.

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

I have waited a really long time to try this beer, Some might say too long, But never the less, this was no easy feat to track one down. That being said I was graciously able to acquire through a wonderful west coast friend who took pity on my plea. The was a 2008 vintage bottle, served out of the cellar at around 50 degrees and poured into my darkness snifter, let the games begin.

As I pour it out, I have to admit I am a bit nervous here. Maybe it is the high expectations I have for this brew, perhaps the preconceived notions are getting to me, no matter. Pours out a very nice and cloudy orange tinted amber color. I could not see through the glass when held up to the light. Nice fizzy head rises quickly to about an inch and a half and then faded away into the night, leaving an almost bare top, well after a few minutes it was a totally bare top. Some light carbonation could be seen inside the glass and a good bit of sediment getting stirred up in the bottle.

Aroma is a tar bomb off the bat, but not enormously sour. Much more complex then then that. Light notes of citrus, orange, semi sweet notes as well coming though as it warms. Deep horse funk apparent as well now. So I go in, for my first sip of Cable Car, and I have to admit it is much more mellow then I thought it would be. Seriously though, I was expecting this deep, wretchedly sour ale and this was not the case. It was remarkably smooth, almost sinisterly so. Deep funky notes predominate, with early touches of white grapes and tart apples. Soo damn smooth though. A bit light on the carbonation in the feel, left me looking for a little more, but damn the taste is unreal. Cannot really compare it too much else. It is just amazing drinkable. The first glass went down like water for me, but half way through the second the ABV starts to kick in and I am feeling it as I type this for sure. Still though I find myself wanted to take bigger and bigger sips, it just that smooth. The finish had to be the driest I can recall with all moisture being sucked from the palate almost immediatly.

Overall wow. The taste was just out of this world. It could have used a bit more pop in the carbonation and appearence but that being said it was still unreal. Super damn drinkable and just absurd. Worth the hunt as I cannot compare it to anything else.

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Pours a medium gold with some clarity. The off white head is minimal and sticks around for a minute or two before disappearing to a thin cap. Lots of lace stays in the glass.

S - Starts out with tart green apple and unripened cherry. Hints of white bread and alcohol midway. Alcohol doesn't get in the way at all. Pretty funky and musty toward the end with notes of wet hay.

T - Tart apple and cherry really pop at the start. Some oak / wood comes in about midway. Hay and grass are present as well. Might be some pale malt and honey at the end. Alcohol is warm and complimentary overall. Very nice flavor and complexity going on here.

M - Lighter bodied with a nice carbonation level that just tickles the palate. Finish is tart and persistent. Creamy and smooth overall.

D - Drinkability is very good. The strong flavors and overall complexity just keeps you coming back for sip after sip. This one goes down surprisingly easy. Lost Abbey has a winner with the Cable Car. It would be nice to see this one become more available in the future.

Cable Car 2009 bottle had at Toronado San Fran on 9/3/10

A: golden yellow in color. Minimal head and spotty lacing crawling around my glass.

S: huge funky tart fruit. Insane amount of citrus and funk. Certainly wild and well above expectation.

T: very rich sour flavor. A really nice fruity sour though. It start off nice and citrusy ending in a beautiful big sour dry bomb. Just the way I would love. Seriously great.

M: bright and fruity, sour and dry at end. Mouth puckering.

D: I'd drink a lot if I could (I'm not sure my stomach would agree). I feel lucky to try giving circumstances and not to lie, I tried more than once!

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Golden and cloudy, with a bit of head that fades to a thin whispy layer. Smells pretty sour, without too much barnyard funk, and with a little peach and green apple. Taste is very sour at the start, but fades to a complex and fruity finish. Carbonation is well balanced and does not detract from the beer, and it goes down smoothly. I'm lucky to have tried this after never really thinking I'd even see one, and I wish there were a chance of me tasting it again.

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Batch 1 sampled 11/2/09. Not hype. One of the best, if not the best, sour beers I have ever had. If this was a gueuze it would be #1 for the style. People like to poo-poo lost abbey for largely personal reasons, but batch 1 isn't even near its peak in my book.

Appearance: Nice pour, two inch cream head, decent lacing. Bit of chill haze. The beer itself is a straw hazy amber with a touch of copper.

Smell: Very pleasant funky, sour aromas. Perfectly funky actually. Much more funky than any other Lost Abbey beer, and by far the best one. Wood, leather, earth, mushrooms, farmhouse cheese, and lemon. Very small bit of vinegar. Incredibly complex.

Taste: This and Rick James are the gold standards of funk. It does not get any better. Sour, but not overwhelmingly so. Lemon, vinegar, and a nice bit of oak and funky farmhouse cheese, cardamom, cloves, green apples, pears, bit of peach. If only I could drink this every day. I took the sediment on the second pour, it was opaque, different, and even more enjoyable. Incredibly complex beer. It is more mellow than you expect, but after a few sips you realize that is what makes it perfect. This isn't an attempt to make the funkiest beer, or the most sour beer, it is an attempt to make the best funky sour beer.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium-full body. Incredibly smooth, ABV is not noticeable.

Drinkability: Off the charts. Why is the bottle empty?

I hate to repeat myself, but this is the perfect execution of funk. More than any other beer, but it is a higher quality funk as well, if that makes any sense. Very approachable and tasty. This batch seems to be doing quite well, might be the best of the three. As I drink it all I can think is "this is how a beer should taste."

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%

Pale orange color to this one. Slight ring of head around it. Amazing aroma, extremely tart, funky, nothing really fruity to it, beyond what you would think to be lemon based on the sheer tartness, but nonetheless, fantastic.

Taste = sour. Lemon, slight wood notes. Its actually pretty straightforward and not complex, just massively sour, extremely dry. Extremely light body to it, never feels heavy, nor alcoholic. Shit, if you could just chill on these around the pool in the backyard. Gets better as it warms, which I didn't think was possible at first it was so good.

Expensive. Can't get a perfect overall score when you're $40 and only available at 2 bars, one of which sucks ass.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Eric for letting me try this.

A: Pours yellow with minimal head.

S: Lemon tartness and great funkiness. Just like a wild should be.

T: Great initial citrus sourness followed by that nice barnyard funk. Very smooth and exactly what a wild should taste like.

M: Light body.

O: I would drink this over and over again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 vintage thanks to seeswo. Followed by a pour off a swing top of the 2010 vintage from Sean and the Chicago crew. Thank you all for the tastes! Review is off the 2009 vintage as it was my preferred of the two.

Pours a pretty golden yellow. a bit hazy with a nice amount of white head. Smell is phenomenal. Tons of tart sour lemons with a nice grassy touch. The sour kick is very prominent but not offputting like some "overly sour" beers I've had. Tastes very mellow. Lots of tart lemon with a sourness that melds well with the rest of the beer. I could drink this all day every day. The flavour profile is predominently lemon with some nice grassy tones in the background. Overall solid mouthfeel, very drinkable. My favourite sour to date.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

To start this review off I want to thank sprinkle for this delightful oppurtunity to try this beer. I have just recently gotten into sours and wild ales and I know that this was a very special treat for me to be able to try this. The intital taste is sour, but goes away with a warmth feeling. A touch of a salty taste to it, but not very predominant. This beer by far exceeded any expectations I had for it. Again very blessed to have tried this and added this notch to my belt...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From Notes (Finally coughed up the $40 for this treat). It was worth every single penny! 2009 Vintage at San Francisco Toronado. Pours a light, golden-amber color with a medium white head. The carbonation is looking quite delightful on this beer. Scent is very funky with some intense lactic sour notes. As the beer warms the fruit really comes out. I get some sweet pear aromas, along with peach and apricot. The taste is out of this world... I went into this with high expectations, and I was not let down! Mouth puckering! Much more sour than expected. There are some sweet pear flavors with lemon and a close resemblance to Sweet Tarts candy. Mouthfeel is extremely dry and puckering on the inside of my cheeks, tongue, and roof of my mouth. Drinkability is high, as this beer is just so damn tasty! Overall, I'm just very happy this beer did not disappoint. It exceeded in all aspects. Good job Lost Abbey!

Cable Car from The Lost Abbey