Cable Car - The Lost Abbey

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: stephendr on 08-12-2007

4.65/5  rDev +4.7%

Popped and poured into Lost Abbey chalices at Toronado. It gushed after popping the cork. It was hazy golden yellow, a healthy amount of foam and good lacing. There is a strong aroma, with plenty of citrus and some nice funk. The taste is fantastic they are notes of citrus, lemon, pineapple, some nice bitterness, some oak, that hoarse blanket goat cheese flavor, the strongest flavor is the tart sourness. Its exquisite in it's balance and complexity. It has a nice carbonation and it goes down very easy. It's amazingly drinkable. you could sip it all night! (561 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +4.7%

The last, and least worthy, of the four from this wonderful occasion to submit my review.

An emergency beer tasting?

If it involves Cable Car, you betcha. Slightly damaged during shipping, beachbum1975 (thanks Shane!) insisted we consume it within a day or two. Forget about the ice storm and the law telling people to stay off the roads. This was an emergency of Cable Car proportions.

Shane was tight lipped about the beer. It was intended to be a gift for pwoods (Patrick). Shane's message - it's rare and worth the urgency. FtownThrowDown (Steve) rounded out the special occasion.

I requested we drink the first half blind.

Poured by Shane into an oversized red wine glass. Presented to me with a hazy straw color and beautiful golden hue. Sensory overload with aroma, color, and foam lacing. I'm guessing my pour was around 5 ounces with 1 oz going to my wife. Review from the wife; "this is good!"

The suspected shipping damage had little impact on the mild level of carbonation (or did it?). Once in a lifetime. I'll never really know. The quest is officially on.

My notes contain the standard comments on this style - tart, sour, light citrus, and dry. Looking back over my notes, two observations were made separate of the rest - thick and straight up. I observed thickness, in the form of mouth feel, that I'm not accustomed to with sours/wilds. Straight up is another story. I was searching hard for complexity in the yet-to-be-revealed rare beer. Searching too hard to enjoy. To me, Cable Car is a phenomenal balance of the wild, sour, and funky combined with light and fluffy...at a loss for words here. Smooth, easy-drinking Cable Car. On a hot summer day I could drink myself to death.

When the curtain came up, the biggest surprise to me was the barrel aspect. I suspect this may have more to do with leveraging bugs than major & noticeable enhancements to the flavor profile (think Supplication).

Like a wedding video, I'm purposely avoiding documentation on this beer because I want it to live in my memory as I remember it - a special beer that rewards beer exploration. (2,104 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +5%

Had at Toronado, gave a little to a guy sitting next to me...damn expensive but worth it.

Pours a cloudy yellow with a half inch head. Leaving no lacing and head fades quickly.

Smell is of oak, brett funk, lemons, vinegar, herbs, lactic, and bread...there is a lot going on...everything in balance and everything delicious.

Taste follows smell, each sip gives something new. Oak on the end with lemons cleaning the palate with carbonation. Vinegar, bread and brett are inital and they all carry though to the end.

Mouthfeel is moderate with good carbonation, would be excellent to pair with a burger or steak.

Overall its a great one. Price tag is high but I'm on vacation! (678 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +5.2%

2009 bottle enjoyed at Toronado SD.

Pours a hazy golden color with a thick white head, not much lacing.

Smells like tangy fruit, citrus and lemon zest. Lots of grapefruit, orange, nectarine and funk. Similar to a Belgian gueuze, delightful funk but not out of control.

Tastes like those chalky Vitamin C tablets with graham cracker sweetness and tart on the finish. Grapefruit, orange, lemon is prominent. I thought it would be a lot more sour from the nose, but it's has incredible balance with some oak and vanilla.

Mouthfeel is full, creamy, and rich for a sour beer.

This was incredible. I'm glad to have skipped the line at Churchill's for this. This is a great sour with lots of citrusy complexity and a great mouthfeel. (732 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +5.2%

750ml, corked and caged bottle, shared courtesy of Phatz (thanks!, I guess I owe you my next new born).

Poured a medium and lightly hazy (darker haze as we got towards the bottom of the bottle) golden color with a smaller sized off white head.

Upon the first whiff, I was greeted with a plethora of incredible aromas that instantly put me in that 'special' place in my mind! I could smell this one all day and night long. Aromas of cherries, grapes, apples, funky, brett, light yeast, citrus, and vanilla. All the aromas melded together perfectly. I was also getting a light spiciness, maybe cinnamon.

Tastes of tart green apples, citrus, woody, light yeast and vanilla. Light and soft body.

Notes from and tasted on 10/11/07. (734 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +5.4%

08/11/07- Had on tap at the Toronado 20th Anniversary party.

Presentation- Via the tap into a tulip style glass.

Appearance- Vibrant peach-orange colored pour. Slight creamy and bubbly brilliant white head. Light lace sheets left behind. The color won me over on this beer.

Smell- A bit of lambic style funk...damp basement. Couldn't quite get which fruits were in the nose, but they were citrus and fresh.

Taste- Tremendous fresh and tart fruit basket. Tangerine, orange, cherry, apricot and lemon. Not violently sour like some Cantilion brews, but a nice tangy tart flavor like La Folie, but maybe more like Love.

Mouthfeel- Light carbonation, lingering tart aftertaste.

Drinkability- Damn I hope they decide to bottle this. Probably the winner of the night for me. One of the best sour beers I have ever had. (830 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +5.6%

Drank from a 1 pint 9.4 fl. oz. bottle
2008 vintage
Served in a tulip
Acquired in a trade with zminor

Review #550

The nearly clear, golden amber liquid was topped by a small, bubbly cap of froth. Within a few minutes, the head completed dissipated.

The aroma was simply astounding. Super funky with lots of must and barnyard character. Very oaky, leathery and "old." Tart and quite acidic with some slightly sweet, fruity notes. Green apple was noticeable, along with a touch of lemon. Some honey was also detectible.

Lots of sour funk and must also came through in the flavor profile. The brett character was really intense. Fruity. Green apple notes were apparent. Super tart and lemony on the finish with a strong oakiness. Somewhat white wine-like. Lots of acidity and yeastiness as well. As the beer warmed, the lemon character grew even stronger. Ultra crisp and dry. This wild ale definitely ranks high up there in terms of sourness.

The only somewhat disappointing aspect of this beer was the mouthfeel. It was quite thin with a fizzy, moderate effervescence.

Drinkability was impressive. The 7% ABV was incredibly well masked. Although the tartness was intense, this beer was nevertheless a real treat to sip and savor.

Cable Car is definitely one of the best American wild ales I have yet to try. I would love the opportunity to sample this again. (1,364 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.9%

Pale orange color to this one. Slight ring of head around it. Amazing aroma, extremely tart, funky, nothing really fruity to it, beyond what you would think to be lemon based on the sheer tartness, but nonetheless, fantastic.

Taste = sour. Lemon, slight wood notes. Its actually pretty straightforward and not complex, just massively sour, extremely dry. Extremely light body to it, never feels heavy, nor alcoholic. Shit, if you could just chill on these around the pool in the backyard. Gets better as it warms, which I didn't think was possible at first it was so good.

Expensive. Can't get a perfect overall score when you're $40 and only available at 2 bars, one of which sucks ass. (690 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Eric for letting me try this.

A: Pours yellow with minimal head.

S: Lemon tartness and great funkiness. Just like a wild should be.

T: Great initial citrus sourness followed by that nice barnyard funk. Very smooth and exactly what a wild should taste like.

M: Light body.

O: I would drink this over and over again. (334 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 vintage thanks to seeswo. Followed by a pour off a swing top of the 2010 vintage from Sean and the Chicago crew. Thank you all for the tastes! Review is off the 2009 vintage as it was my preferred of the two.

Pours a pretty golden yellow. a bit hazy with a nice amount of white head. Smell is phenomenal. Tons of tart sour lemons with a nice grassy touch. The sour kick is very prominent but not offputting like some "overly sour" beers I've had. Tastes very mellow. Lots of tart lemon with a sourness that melds well with the rest of the beer. I could drink this all day every day. The flavour profile is predominently lemon with some nice grassy tones in the background. Overall solid mouthfeel, very drinkable. My favourite sour to date. (746 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

To start this review off I want to thank sprinkle for this delightful oppurtunity to try this beer. I have just recently gotten into sours and wild ales and I know that this was a very special treat for me to be able to try this. The intital taste is sour, but goes away with a warmth feeling. A touch of a salty taste to it, but not very predominant. This beer by far exceeded any expectations I had for it. Again very blessed to have tried this and added this notch to my belt... (481 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From Notes (Finally coughed up the $40 for this treat). It was worth every single penny! 2009 Vintage at San Francisco Toronado. Pours a light, golden-amber color with a medium white head. The carbonation is looking quite delightful on this beer. Scent is very funky with some intense lactic sour notes. As the beer warms the fruit really comes out. I get some sweet pear aromas, along with peach and apricot. The taste is out of this world... I went into this with high expectations, and I was not let down! Mouth puckering! Much more sour than expected. There are some sweet pear flavors with lemon and a close resemblance to Sweet Tarts candy. Mouthfeel is extremely dry and puckering on the inside of my cheeks, tongue, and roof of my mouth. Drinkability is high, as this beer is just so damn tasty! Overall, I'm just very happy this beer did not disappoint. It exceeded in all aspects. Good job Lost Abbey! (911 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden colour with a large fluffy head. Nice lacing.

Intense, funky and tart aroma with a light lemon note. Well balanced.

Sour, lactic, slightly acetic, lemony and slightly astringent. Beautifully balanced and crafted.

Medium body with moderately-high carbonation. Good.

A really good wild ale with a balanced funk character, good tartness and solid flavour. (368 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +6.3%

I have waited a really long time to try this beer, Some might say too long, But never the less, this was no easy feat to track one down. That being said I was graciously able to acquire through a wonderful west coast friend who took pity on my plea. The was a 2008 vintage bottle, served out of the cellar at around 50 degrees and poured into my darkness snifter, let the games begin.

As I pour it out, I have to admit I am a bit nervous here. Maybe it is the high expectations I have for this brew, perhaps the preconceived notions are getting to me, no matter. Pours out a very nice and cloudy orange tinted amber color. I could not see through the glass when held up to the light. Nice fizzy head rises quickly to about an inch and a half and then faded away into the night, leaving an almost bare top, well after a few minutes it was a totally bare top. Some light carbonation could be seen inside the glass and a good bit of sediment getting stirred up in the bottle.

Aroma is a tar bomb off the bat, but not enormously sour. Much more complex then then that. Light notes of citrus, orange, semi sweet notes as well coming though as it warms. Deep horse funk apparent as well now. So I go in, for my first sip of Cable Car, and I have to admit it is much more mellow then I thought it would be. Seriously though, I was expecting this deep, wretchedly sour ale and this was not the case. It was remarkably smooth, almost sinisterly so. Deep funky notes predominate, with early touches of white grapes and tart apples. Soo damn smooth though. A bit light on the carbonation in the feel, left me looking for a little more, but damn the taste is unreal. Cannot really compare it too much else. It is just amazing drinkable. The first glass went down like water for me, but half way through the second the ABV starts to kick in and I am feeling it as I type this for sure. Still though I find myself wanted to take bigger and bigger sips, it just that smooth. The finish had to be the driest I can recall with all moisture being sucked from the palate almost immediatly.

Overall wow. The taste was just out of this world. It could have used a bit more pop in the carbonation and appearence but that being said it was still unreal. Super damn drinkable and just absurd. Worth the hunt as I cannot compare it to anything else. (2,329 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Pours a medium gold with some clarity. The off white head is minimal and sticks around for a minute or two before disappearing to a thin cap. Lots of lace stays in the glass.

S - Starts out with tart green apple and unripened cherry. Hints of white bread and alcohol midway. Alcohol doesn't get in the way at all. Pretty funky and musty toward the end with notes of wet hay.

T - Tart apple and cherry really pop at the start. Some oak / wood comes in about midway. Hay and grass are present as well. Might be some pale malt and honey at the end. Alcohol is warm and complimentary overall. Very nice flavor and complexity going on here.

M - Lighter bodied with a nice carbonation level that just tickles the palate. Finish is tart and persistent. Creamy and smooth overall.

D - Drinkability is very good. The strong flavors and overall complexity just keeps you coming back for sip after sip. This one goes down surprisingly easy. Lost Abbey has a winner with the Cable Car. It would be nice to see this one become more available in the future. (1,052 characters)

Cable Car 2009 bottle had at Toronado San Fran on 9/3/10

A: golden yellow in color. Minimal head and spotty lacing crawling around my glass.

S: huge funky tart fruit. Insane amount of citrus and funk. Certainly wild and well above expectation.

T: very rich sour flavor. A really nice fruity sour though. It start off nice and citrusy ending in a beautiful big sour dry bomb. Just the way I would love. Seriously great.

M: bright and fruity, sour and dry at end. Mouth puckering.

D: I'd drink a lot if I could (I'm not sure my stomach would agree). I feel lucky to try giving circumstances and not to lie, I tried more than once! (633 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +6.3%

Golden and cloudy, with a bit of head that fades to a thin whispy layer. Smells pretty sour, without too much barnyard funk, and with a little peach and green apple. Taste is very sour at the start, but fades to a complex and fruity finish. Carbonation is well balanced and does not detract from the beer, and it goes down smoothly. I'm lucky to have tried this after never really thinking I'd even see one, and I wish there were a chance of me tasting it again. (462 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +6.3%

Batch 1 sampled 11/2/09. Not hype. One of the best, if not the best, sour beers I have ever had. If this was a gueuze it would be #1 for the style. People like to poo-poo lost abbey for largely personal reasons, but batch 1 isn't even near its peak in my book.

Appearance: Nice pour, two inch cream head, decent lacing. Bit of chill haze. The beer itself is a straw hazy amber with a touch of copper.

Smell: Very pleasant funky, sour aromas. Perfectly funky actually. Much more funky than any other Lost Abbey beer, and by far the best one. Wood, leather, earth, mushrooms, farmhouse cheese, and lemon. Very small bit of vinegar. Incredibly complex.

Taste: This and Rick James are the gold standards of funk. It does not get any better. Sour, but not overwhelmingly so. Lemon, vinegar, and a nice bit of oak and funky farmhouse cheese, cardamom, cloves, green apples, pears, bit of peach. If only I could drink this every day. I took the sediment on the second pour, it was opaque, different, and even more enjoyable. Incredibly complex beer. It is more mellow than you expect, but after a few sips you realize that is what makes it perfect. This isn't an attempt to make the funkiest beer, or the most sour beer, it is an attempt to make the best funky sour beer.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium-full body. Incredibly smooth, ABV is not noticeable.

Drinkability: Off the charts. Why is the bottle empty?

I hate to repeat myself, but this is the perfect execution of funk. More than any other beer, but it is a higher quality funk as well, if that makes any sense. Very approachable and tasty. This batch seems to be doing quite well, might be the best of the three. As I drink it all I can think is "this is how a beer should taste." (1,731 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +6.8%

Anyone that knows me knows that I've been trying extraordinarily hard to get a bottle of this. And anyone that has ever let it known that they've had a bottle knows this as well. I've offered well over $100 worth of very rare beers, many brewery only release and plenty with less than 1000 bottles made.

I've been drinking beers with Shane(beachbum1975) for the past 8-10months or so. We both trade way more than we should. We've always 'unspokenly' tried to one up one another. Well that mother fucker one upped me to end all one ups... but that doesn't mean I won't stop trying :)

This bottle was a belated Christmas gift and presented to Chris(Yetiman420), Steve(FtownThrowDown), and Me(and of course Shane), as a blind tasting for my 500th review. That bastard also just traded for a bottle of the beer I was getting him for a belated Christmas gift. What a D-Bag!

I honestly cannot express my thanks and gratitude, Shane. This was my Holy Grail beer and now my Lost Abbey bottle collection is finally complete, and what's a better way to do it than with a Tomme Arthur signed bottle of Cable Car! :D

750ml corked and caged brown bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Shared with 3 great BAs.

A: Pours a very murky under ripened grapefruit peel color. A decent sized head forms and holds for a minute or so before falling to a few bubbles. Some spotty lacing throughout.

S: Loads of tart fruits. Lemon, orange, grapefruit, apricot, pineapple, cherries. Some astringent acids from the fruits adds to the tart and sour aromas. Funk is minimal but still lightly present with a touch of wet hay and maybe some light cider vinegar notes.

T/M: The tart and sour fruits are spot on to the nose. Lemon, pineapple, orange are more dominant with cherries and apricot or peach playing more in the back. Really a citrus explosion that is odd in that I normally experience this with loads of bitterness, which this obviously doesn't have. Funkiness is still at a minimum but still retains the wet hay and light cidery notes. I don't think it'd hurt to have some more funk. Tartness really starts to build toward puckering as it quickly warms. Some rustic woody and leathery notes form the barrels. Nice light to medium light body with perfect carbonation. Great dry finish that isn't too tart or abrasive.

D: Extraordinarily drinkable. I could drink this all day every day. The tartness and sourness doesn't linger too strong or long. Very good. Yet again, many thanks to you, Shane. You really made my day and you better watch your back when it's your turn to be given a milestone beer! And a million thanks to the one that traded this to Shane ;) (2,644 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Drank at Toronado on 7/22. This has been on my wants list for year and finally got out to SF, didn't expect for bottles to be on sale but splurged. Overpriced at $60 but great beer and glad I had the opportunity to try it. Golden color with minimal head and a bit of haze. Aroma was less intense than expected, vinegar and white wine, decent funk. Mouthfeel is light and smooth. Taste is white wine, minimal funk, lemons and bread. Didn't get much oak. Overall great beer, steep price point but would try again if it was $25 or under. (534 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml cork and cage bottle at Toronado during San Francisco Beer at the Russian River tap take over. Vinnie Cilurzo and Tomme Arthur were hanging out having a beer.

This beer is really a treat. Its just the perfect American take on a classic Belgian Stye. It tasted like sour cherry lemonade. Hints of barnyard funk that were buried under the strong lemon tartness mixed with the perfect hint of cherry sourness. The oak provided an unbelievable barrel character that tied the beer together. It's truly a special beer (520 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +6.8%

From 04/30/11 notes. Got to try this one at Dark Lord Day thanks to Sean9689; huge thanks Sean, this was one of my biggest Wants! 2010 vintage from a swing top bottle.

a - Pours a hazy yellow color with an inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour lemons, other sour fruits, oak, earthy notes. Very nice and sour, though not overally tart. Pretty amazing.

t - Tastes of tart lemon, sour citrus, tart fruits, oak, earthy, grassy notes, and a very light mustiness. Again, absoutely amazing. Not the sourest beer I've ever had, but one of the more enjoyable sour beers.

m - Light to medium body and low to moderate carbonation.

o - Overall one of the best sours I've had; I'm really glad it actually lived up to my expectations. Had a lot of great beers at DLD and this one was probably my favorite. Lots of sour and tart lemons and while not overly sour, it's very refreshing and enjoyable. Would jump at the chance to by a bottle of this one when and if I make it out to Toronado. (1,011 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +7%

2009 Vintage 750mL Bottled poured into a Tulip at Toronado San Diego
Reviewed from Notes

This beer pours a fantastic bright hazy yellow/golden/orange color with a fluffy white head. This is a beautiful looking beer. Leaves minimal lacing. The aroma is very fruit forward being dominated by peaches, apricot, green apple, and citrus (lemon). This beer is incredibly aromatic. The smell just explodes out of this beer. The taste is very dry and tart and follows the smell. Peaches and apricots are present, and the tart sourness very much enhances the flavor. The taste gets better with every sip. This beer goes down almost too easy, it was gone long before I was ready to let it go. The body is light and has a nice amount of carbonation.

Overall this is a fantastic sour. Each sip is more enjoyable all the way to the end of the bottle. Very aromatic and fruity, but not sweet. Drinking amazingly right now. The sour interacts perfectly with the fruity taste. (963 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +7%

A huge thanks to Masterski for getting this for me and sending it along as a great surprise in a recent package. What a treat.

Poured into my tulip glass and a thin wispy bright white head forms. Does recede fairly quickly. The beer is a very bright gold/brass color. Excellent clarity. Some light spotty lacing.

Aroma is fantastic. Bright, some acidic notes, apple comes to mind. Perhaps a touch of lemon.

With the first sip I get very excited as my favorite flavor component of the roasted nuts is present. The tartness is present but with soft round edges. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I thought of Sweet Tart candies. That’s actually a good thing. The bread flavors just below the surface are fantastic. A moment of nectarine and tangerine here. Nice fruit notes. Lot’s going on. There is a salty quality to this that I didn’t expect. Seems to mix well with the nuttiness and bread like qualities. Green apple pops up now and again.

Very delicate body and a wonderful refreshing mouth feel.

This is truly a treat to drink. Believe the hype. Perhaps made even better as it’s been a while since I’ve had a sour. Just fantastic.

Thanks Alex. (1,162 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured into a SP Stem. Thanks Shea for busting this out. CC '13.

A - Cloudy light straw yellow pour with a 1 finger white foam head that slowly recedes back into the glass.

S - Lemony citrus zest here, slightly reminds me of DDG on the nose here. White wine grapes. The Lemony citrus and grapes smells are the most prevalent.

T - Taste follows the nose here with loads of lemony citrus zesty notes followed by the white grape tastes as well as notes from the oak barrels.

M - Crisp, light, medium bodied and to the point, clean.

O - This reminded me a lot of DDG. If I had to choose between the two, considering the difficulty of obtaining CC, I would have to go with DDG. They are both on par in terms of taste, but the difficulty pushes me away. (755 characters)

Cable Car from The Lost Abbey