Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Cable Car - The Lost Abbey

Cable CarCable Car

Wants: 2,592
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: stephendr on 08-12-2007

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

2007 Cable Car, batch 1

Clear golden yellow color with a slight orange hue with a quickly dissipating white head, leaving only a ring around the glass. Lactic acid and citrus in the nose. There's some funkiness to it, but I get more tropical fruit than anything else. Lightly spicy on the tongue with some barnyard funk and a little bit of tropical fruit. As it warmed in the glass, the tropical fruit remained, but more of a foot-like Brett character came through. Medium high carbonation with a dry finish. Drinkability is exceptional; easy to drink a bunch of this, though availability won't allow it. Flavors aren't all that intense, but they are refined and lead to a good drinking experience. (699 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks very much to nickd717 for this bottle, I owe you man! Shared this one at the Epic tasting on 10/10, from notes.

Pours a hazy light gold color into my tulip with a small white cap. Leaves impressive lacing and has decent retention.

Aromas of lemon zest, barnyard mustiness. Over-ripened peaches and wood, I've got wood. Some lemon rind and slightly buttery. Various floral spices and a dash of vinegar. Taste follows this funkiness and acidity are in a nice balance, after an initial sweetness. In my tasting notes, I have written "transgender vaginal funkiness". I'm not sure who was experiencing that at the time, but what a wonderful descriptor.

Great mouthfeel, nicely carbonated (!) . Very drinkable and I'm glad to have the chance to try this one, but I think that I like DDG better, not to mention how much more attainable it is/was. (851 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -11.2%

08 and 09 sampled side by side toro sd during sdbw. 09 was better in almost every facet. Funk, sour, mouthfeel and complexity. a step below something like DDG. both had similar color, mouthfeel ect. 09 just smelled and tasted funkier. Very cool to try and both vintages to boot. Horse blanket, some citrus, wheat, and nice brett ect flavors. 08 was just flat in flavor and funk, maybe more mellowed. hadn't had 08 when it was 1st released so maybe on release it was like the 09 this nite. would say hold 08's if in bottle for a later date for the funk to develop with more time. (578 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

To start this review off I want to thank sprinkle for this delightful oppurtunity to try this beer. I have just recently gotten into sours and wild ales and I know that this was a very special treat for me to be able to try this. The intital taste is sour, but goes away with a warmth feeling. A touch of a salty taste to it, but not very predominant. This beer by far exceeded any expectations I had for it. Again very blessed to have tried this and added this notch to my belt... (481 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +6.1%

Batch 1 sampled 11/2/09. Not hype. One of the best, if not the best, sour beers I have ever had. If this was a gueuze it would be #1 for the style. People like to poo-poo lost abbey for largely personal reasons, but batch 1 isn't even near its peak in my book.

Appearance: Nice pour, two inch cream head, decent lacing. Bit of chill haze. The beer itself is a straw hazy amber with a touch of copper.

Smell: Very pleasant funky, sour aromas. Perfectly funky actually. Much more funky than any other Lost Abbey beer, and by far the best one. Wood, leather, earth, mushrooms, farmhouse cheese, and lemon. Very small bit of vinegar. Incredibly complex.

Taste: This and Rick James are the gold standards of funk. It does not get any better. Sour, but not overwhelmingly so. Lemon, vinegar, and a nice bit of oak and funky farmhouse cheese, cardamom, cloves, green apples, pears, bit of peach. If only I could drink this every day. I took the sediment on the second pour, it was opaque, different, and even more enjoyable. Incredibly complex beer. It is more mellow than you expect, but after a few sips you realize that is what makes it perfect. This isn't an attempt to make the funkiest beer, or the most sour beer, it is an attempt to make the best funky sour beer.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium-full body. Incredibly smooth, ABV is not noticeable.

Drinkability: Off the charts. Why is the bottle empty?

I hate to repeat myself, but this is the perfect execution of funk. More than any other beer, but it is a higher quality funk as well, if that makes any sense. Very approachable and tasty. This batch seems to be doing quite well, might be the best of the three. As I drink it all I can think is "this is how a beer should taste." (1,731 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +0.9%

A combination review of a 2008 vintage(thanks akorsak) and a 2009 vintage(thanks FooFaa). Drank the 08 bottle in April 09 and the fresh 09 bottle in October 2009. I preferred the fresh CC more, less musty and more sharp,

A-Slightly hazy golden copper with a thin white ring that leaves spotty lace. Looks nice but nothing impressive.

S-Light vinegar, more musty in the aged version, dry oak with a dose of tart green apple.

T-Spicy, tart, apple cider vinegar, oak dryness. The sourness is in check but prevalent adding more to a sharpness than a puckering aspect.

M-Light bodied, crisp, tart and sharp with a drying, astringent finish.

D-Highly! This is quite delicious. Not too tart, not too dull...a wonderful amalgamation of flavours. A highly regarded sour for a reason--fine stuff. (791 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 VINTAGE OVERALL SCORE: 4.1 A-
Consumed on 9/30/11

Appearance: 4.0 Pours a cludy dull orange tinged honey color with a 2 finger white crown full of medium sized fizzy loose white bubbles that show moderate retention and nice lace.

Smell: 4.5 Nice amount of green apple, tart lemon, faint cherries, and moderate musty funk.

Taste: 4.0 Lemon brett, flabby malt, a touch of grape essence, and a bit of maraschino cherries in the finish.

Mouthfeel: 4.0 Thin side of medium bodied with decent carbonation. A bit on the bleh side for the style but not bad at all.

Drinkability: 4.0 Goes down fairly easy but the mouthfeel and taste are flabby.

2009 VINTAGE OVERALL SCORE: 4.4 A
received in a trade with Alen thanks!
Consumed on 8/13/10 (Friday the 13th!)

Appearance: 4.5 Pours a slightly cloudy peach to pumpkin orange body with a 2 finger white crown that shows moderate retention and lace.

Smell: 4.0 Musky peaches, tart lemons, some lactic sourness, not much funk though.

Taste: 4.5 Peaches, apricots, mangos, lemon tartness, wheat tartness, green grapes, and green apple skins. A fair amount of lactic sourness, but mainly just lots of dry tartness. Very vibrant and very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: 4.5 Light bodied with great lush carbonation.

Drinkability: 4.5 Easy drinking sour with lick your lips appeal :)

2008 VINTAGE OVERALL SCORE: 4.35 A
received in a trade with a generous BA thanks.
Consumed on: 12/20/09.

Appearance: 4.0 Pours a slightly cloudy peach to pumpkin orange body with minimal crown, retention, or lace.

Smell: 4.5 Great showing of horseblanket, musky peaches, tart lemons, and lactic sourness.

Taste: 4.5 Peaches, apricots, mangos, lemon tartness, wheat tartness, green grapes, green apple skins, and a touch of dry cherry tartness. A fair amount of lactic sourness, but mainly just lots of dry tartness. A layer of barnyard as a foundation, but predominantly about the lactic acid and loads of tartness. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: 4.0 Light bodied with just enough carbonation.

Drinkablity: 4.5 Goes down easy and is good to the last drop!

2007 VINTAGE OVERALL SCORE 4.1 A-
received in a recent trade with Alen thanks!
Consumed on: 10/31/09

Appearance: 4.0 Pours a slightly cloudy peach to pumpkin orange body with a minimal yellow white crown that shows little retention or lace.

Smell: 4.5 Wonderful bouquet of peach, apricot, mango, and lemons. Lactic sourness is apparent but not overwhelming in the nose. A fair amount of barnyard and an underlying cinnamon like tingly warm.

Taste: 4.0 Peach, lemon, white grape/white wine and cherry dry sourness coming through with a tame malt belly. Leaves a fairly tart and long finish.

Mouthfeel: 3.5 Light bodied but a touch undercarbonated.

Drinkability: 4.5 This one is going down like nothing...probably because this bottle is on the decline. The flavors aren't vibrant nor is the sourness overpowering.

A let down...I can only hope to acquire a batch #2 or #3 soon. (2,962 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Very hazy light golden color. Looked more like a wheat beer in the glass than anything else. The amount of head on this beer was quite surprising as was the amount of lacing.

S: Smelled a little funky. To me it came across as a wild heavy wit. Very wheaty nose. Then comes the brett and the overipe fruit. Different than many of the other wild ales I have had.

T: Very nice bright fruit taste with the funk coming in later. Again I got some wheat in the front. The tartness really sneaks up on you. You definitely get the lacto as it has that nice burn towards the back.

M: So nice and refreshing. Could drink this all day.

D: I was pouring for Lost Abbey during BBF and I kept drinking this. I had the duck and yellow bus and sinners but my glass was constantly filled with this. I though this would be much more sour. It is more balanced than I thought it would be. (874 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +11%

Big thanks go out to FooFaa for busting this out at a recent tasting. I've wanted to try this beer for a very long time so I was really psyched to try it. Thanks a bunch Dan!

Pours a dark golden ripe banana color that is slightly murky with a one finger off-white head that quickly fades into a lasting ring. There is very minimal lacing, only small spots here and there.

Very funky aroma with some nice barnyard, horseblankety goodness. Lots of crisp golden fruits, apple, pear, grape, etc and a nice dusty earthy oak character. Just the smell of this beer made my mouth water. I literally sniffed my glass for several minutes before even taking a sip.

This beer has a perfect balance of intense puckering tart barnyard funk, horseblanket notes, slightly lactic and acidic but not too much so. Tart and sour intensity up front that settles into some beautiful light crisp golden fruit notes. Hints of apple, pear, grapefruit, light grape followed by more funky brett oaky sourness which lingers into the amazing mouthwatering finish. Very dry yet sweet and crisp with an amazing crisp dry tart puckering finish.

This is an amazing beer that for me truly lived up to the hype. It is just a perfect blend of tart/puckering sourness, crisp delicious fruit notes and a dry sweet yet tart delectable finish. This beer tasted better with each sip and my mouth was literally watering in anticipation of each sip. This is one of the most complex, flavorful sours I've ever had and I cannot recommend it any higher. I only wish I had more. (1,536 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -13.5%

Batch 3 on tap at Toronado for 22nd anniversary. Also had Batch 2 out of the bottle at a Toronado Belgian-inspired beer dinner. I know this is blasphemous, but I consider this beer to be very overrated and only a little above average for an American Wild Ale. I think the rarity of it plays into the high ratings a bit.

A - Slightly hazy golden color with a white head and decent lacing.

S - Funky aroma with Brett, wood, and dry white wine.

T - Very sour and funky with lots of lemon, unripe white grapes, and barrel notes. Fairly one-dimensional in my opinion and does not really stand out above other beers in this style.

M - Soft carbonation, medium body with sharp sourness on the palate and a mouth-puckering finish.

D - Well, the sourness, while not too intense, gets to be a bit much in this case, and I don't think it's all that drinkable overall. Oh yeah, and it's way overpriced at $45 a bottle. (911 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +6.1%

I have waited a really long time to try this beer, Some might say too long, But never the less, this was no easy feat to track one down. That being said I was graciously able to acquire through a wonderful west coast friend who took pity on my plea. The was a 2008 vintage bottle, served out of the cellar at around 50 degrees and poured into my darkness snifter, let the games begin.

As I pour it out, I have to admit I am a bit nervous here. Maybe it is the high expectations I have for this brew, perhaps the preconceived notions are getting to me, no matter. Pours out a very nice and cloudy orange tinted amber color. I could not see through the glass when held up to the light. Nice fizzy head rises quickly to about an inch and a half and then faded away into the night, leaving an almost bare top, well after a few minutes it was a totally bare top. Some light carbonation could be seen inside the glass and a good bit of sediment getting stirred up in the bottle.

Aroma is a tar bomb off the bat, but not enormously sour. Much more complex then then that. Light notes of citrus, orange, semi sweet notes as well coming though as it warms. Deep horse funk apparent as well now. So I go in, for my first sip of Cable Car, and I have to admit it is much more mellow then I thought it would be. Seriously though, I was expecting this deep, wretchedly sour ale and this was not the case. It was remarkably smooth, almost sinisterly so. Deep funky notes predominate, with early touches of white grapes and tart apples. Soo damn smooth though. A bit light on the carbonation in the feel, left me looking for a little more, but damn the taste is unreal. Cannot really compare it too much else. It is just amazing drinkable. The first glass went down like water for me, but half way through the second the ABV starts to kick in and I am feeling it as I type this for sure. Still though I find myself wanted to take bigger and bigger sips, it just that smooth. The finish had to be the driest I can recall with all moisture being sucked from the palate almost immediatly.

Overall wow. The taste was just out of this world. It could have used a bit more pop in the carbonation and appearence but that being said it was still unreal. Super damn drinkable and just absurd. Worth the hunt as I cannot compare it to anything else. (2,329 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -3.8%

2009, batch 3, 750ml bottle.
Poured into Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a mirky golden/light copper color. A nice, fluffy, white head quickly follows on a medium-aggressive pour. A nice, frothy, sticky lacing stays behind from the head. Once held into the light, I can see loads and loads of bubbles rise to the top of the glass from the etched "D" on the bottom of my glass. Overall, something to look at in awe and appreciate.

S - Once I popped the cork, I could smell the tart/sour notes from a couple of feet away. Once I brought the glass to my nose, it wanted to turn inside out, just as I imagine my lips will want to do in a few minutes. Musty brett, stanky cheese, lemons, barnyard funk, sweet tropical fruit. All of this combines into an awesome-smelling wild...something to sit back and enjoy for a bit before you taste, lots going on here and probably more then I can pick up.

T - Lip-puckering tart that hits you right off the bat and then mellows out into subtle lemon-esk tingle. This is so damn good, words can hardly describe it. Lots of funky barnyard/brett mixed with some semi-sweet fruity notes. Not too tart/sour which gives you a chance to delve in and enjoy some of the other flavors going on. A nice semi-sweet finish that I don't think I can recall in any other sour I've had. A very complex wild.

M - Light to medium bodied, but it sways more towards medium but not quite "medium" (sorry if I'm confusing here, hard to explain). Very full, but light at the same time. The carbonation is right-on here, a nice fizzy tickle on the tongue that helps open up the flavors. A dry finish that makes you come back for more.

D - This beer makes you sit back and appreciate it. It's easy to drink fast, but why? It's great to chill out while sipping on this from time to time. I don't want this bottle to end, but I'm glad I was able to pop this one open and enjoy. Lost Abbey, you have done it yet again! (1,919 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -11.9%

Tasted at Cleveland tasting on 8-23-08. Thanks!! Batch 2 was poured with a golden color and thin white head. Has a slight funk aroma, some citrus, and some spice. Has a medium body. Taste is tart, some fruits, and has a sweet sour finish on the back end. Overall I was expecting more from this beer. Considering the hype around it I found it did not live up to the hype. Its a solid brew, just not worth the ratings it gets here. And I wasn't the only one with those sentiments. (478 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -1.1%

On tap @Toronado, appropriate glass.

Appearance: Pale orange/yellow. Surprisingly good head retention.

Smell: Tart, vinious, grapes, champagne(ish)

Taste: same as smell w/citrus tartness goodness overwelming. Spices I can't put my finger on. Cinnamony? Dry finish such as white wine or champagne. Absolutely easy drinking and delightful.

Overall: Solid, and excited to have the privilege to try it on tap for $5. (417 characters)

4.44/5  rDev -0.2%

batch 001. Hazy amber pour with a nice sized white head. Silage and earth aroma. Flavor was silage, dust, grass, earth, stomach acid, lemon, oak, and orange peel. Tart dry finish with the sourness coming through but not overpowering the beer. Very nice. (253 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

Thanks to Chris and Joey for bringing Batches 2 and 1, respectively, to the tasting we had on 7/25/09-7/26/09. We found batch 1 had gone downhill a bit so I decided to focus my notes on the current better of the two, batch 2.

The beer appears hazy orange with a small fizzy white crown that recedes after a minute.

The aroma opens up with vibrant citrus in the form of lemons, orange, and apricots mixed with just the right amount of Brett. The Brett imparts a nice level of mustiness as well as a little barnyard funk. The nose has a distinct tart quality to it.

The flavor is bursting with lemon and orange with a nice medium level of tartness. Some nice Brett notes are evident, but once the Brett doesn't impart any deep funk notes like cat piss or wet horse blanket, but rather a slight musty barnyard element that seems to accentuate the soft citrus. The finish is orange and lemon with Brett, some acidity, and a lingering sourness.

The beer is light bodied with a medium level of carbonation. The mouthfeel is dry with some acidity.

The 2007 batch has noticeably declined since I last tried it. I laughed at the thought before we opened the batches side by side, but it truly is the case. The 2008 is clearly the better of the two at this point in time. (1,267 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -0.7%

From 750 mL at Toronado SD-

A: Poured into tulip. Cloudly gold/yellow and bright in appearance with a 1/2 finger white head and minimal lacing.

S: I've never smelled a beer like this. It smelled like saddle leather, white pepper, and a hint of fresh mint. Honestly, it was like smelling a Crozes-Hermitage, except for the mint part. There was only a trace of the green apple, which was abundant in the mouth.

T: Green apples and lemon, with a trace of mint in there. Like a white wine, almost. Very persistent, cleansing acidity.

M: Medium in body and possessing fine cut and palate-cleansing character. Carbonation is light, which works OK.

D: About 7%, and it is not boozy. Could drink another of these.

Really unique in my experience. Thanks to Chad for purchasing and sharing this. (793 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +0.2%

Shared by Treyrab at our coveted Graduation Tasting.

Pours a very gold light brown that shines ever so perfectly when held up to the light. A spotty white head floats atop, which leaves slight remnants of lacing behind. Very beautiful haze, and a darker then I was expecting the body to be.

The smell contains tons of bitter lemon, and is fairly sweet. There is a lot of grapefruit in this scent as well, which is a followed by a nice orange tartness. Vanilla and horse blanket lay secondary in the background.

The taste is awesome. My palate picked out tart grapefruit, orange and lemon. The beer is a really nice dryness to it, which really plays well with all that is sweet and kickin'. This beer reminds me slightly of Sanctification, minus the cherry. It is a little bit lighter then some of the other wild ales we have tried today which deters the mouthfeel score. The dryness continues to linger well after each sip. The vanilla is very soft and hardly noticeable as sticks out most with warmth. There is also a funky cheese taste that plays well with all of the other flavors. Not to keep playing the memory game, but this also reminds me of a carbonated version of 3 Fonteinen's Dosjel with carbonation.

Really glad I got to see what all the talk is about! (1,270 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

I have now had this three different times and it is definitely time to review it, I have had it on tap at Toronado in San Francisco back in August, bottle of batch two shared at a tasting a few months back, and recently 750 ml bottles of batch one and two side by side courtesy of Ian, this review is a mixture of both of those bottles which I had last week, reviewed from notes, each were poured into a tulip glass

A-Golden orange color with some highlights, thin 1/2 inch very bubbly white head, good retention for a sour and the head does not go away for about five minutes, very nice wine-like legs, some lacing at the top of the glass
S-Lemons, peaches, grassy accents, grapefruit, earthiness, other citrus, strawberries, funkiness, brett, pineapple, green apples, leather, oak, grains, herbs, light peaches, cherries, limes, and tons of tropical fruits, one of the best smelling beers of all time
T-Flavor has so many different fruits that it just sends your palate on a joy ride, starts off tart and ends that same way, has a huge underlying citrus backbone, love the grainy and rustic feel in the middle with that nice funk to go along with the sourness, that is what really separates this beer from the rest of the field, it does not blow you away with crazy amounts of tart, instead it is more balanced while still maintaining a great sour feel, never overpowers you, gets more complex as it warms and the granny smith apple flavor become awesome by the end, can go on and on about this beer's taste but hopefully this gives people a better idea of what to expect
M-Lively carbonation, medium bodied, zesty, sour, tart, citrusy, and fruity mouthfeel, taste lingers a long time but you never want it to go away
D-I could drink tons of this and I have, had three glasses when at Toronado, it is amazing because you cannot taste any alcohol and it is no lightweight at seven percent, very light on the stomach even though it is pretty acidic, this stuff is very refreshing and taste good both chilled and warm

Rating #1,300, I will admit that I have enjoyed the first batch a lot more than the second, it was more aggressively sour while the other batch was more subtle and mild, still mouth puckering though, I wish this brew was not only available at one place in the world because I would drink it all the time if that was not the case, this is worth all the hype indeed, this is truly one of the best sours I have ever had and probably will ever have, hopefully Tomme brews this for Toronado in the upcoming years because it is well worth the seven hour drive up to San Francisco to buy some, this brew is a masterpiece, cannot recommend this enough (2,663 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

Consumed at The Graduation Tasting. Thanks, Trey!

A: Crystal clear with a light, thin head that recedes rather quick. Plenty of carbonation.

S: Funky, tart, more so than Sanctification. Mild sweetness with honey. Definitely lemony in character, I really can't help compare it with Sanctification. Cheesy funk with mild floral and honey character. There's also a certain sharpness I get from the aroma that makes me think back to the other LA beer I've had that have this character - I used to think it was from the cherry skins, I'm not so sure anymore

T: Opens up quite tart and sour with clean funk. Barnyard, intense lemony sourness. Slightly more sweetness and vanilla. Finishes dry, tart and awesome. Mild acidity with a certain sharpness. Some oak and cheese. Awesome

M: Light, effervescent carbonation and excellent finish

D: Very very easy to drink a ton of this

Notes: I tried this again in July 2009, side by side with batch 1. I initially laughed at the thought of batch 1 being over the hill given it's rather young age (2 years), but sadly, it was so. On the nose, it was dank and musty, with a surprisingly woody note, reminding me of wet wood. There was also a slightly spicy character with cloves and cinnamon. On the palate, batch 1 was a lot more tannic and woody, while batch 2 was more vibrant and citrusy. Batch 1 would get 4/4/3.5/3.5/4, while batch 2 is pretty outstanding. It's gotten more sour, and is extremely enjoyable.

Update 2: Thanks to Joe (Ineedabeerhere) I got to try batch 3. Sour and funky with apple, pears, wet wood. Great stuff, this is sourer than either of the previous batches. Mildly grassy. The palate opens sour, surprisingly so with sour lemon with a mild lactic and acetic character. Almost simple in flavors, there's some grassy, fruity character with apples and peach before a dry, sour lemony finish. Great stuff (S/T = 4.5/4)

**Edit 01 July 2012**
Thanks to Chris or Jay for trading me this bottle. Shared at our Lost Abbey tasting.
The nose is very nice. Mildly melony, moderately lemony, moderate funk, earthy, loam-like, complex and very well structured. Makes me think of a real gueuze in its delicacy. The palate opens mellow, complex, funky, earthy, lemony. Very, very nice. 4.5/4.5/4.5 (2,251 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +6.1%

A - Pours a medium gold with some clarity. The off white head is minimal and sticks around for a minute or two before disappearing to a thin cap. Lots of lace stays in the glass.

S - Starts out with tart green apple and unripened cherry. Hints of white bread and alcohol midway. Alcohol doesn't get in the way at all. Pretty funky and musty toward the end with notes of wet hay.

T - Tart apple and cherry really pop at the start. Some oak / wood comes in about midway. Hay and grass are present as well. Might be some pale malt and honey at the end. Alcohol is warm and complimentary overall. Very nice flavor and complexity going on here.

M - Lighter bodied with a nice carbonation level that just tickles the palate. Finish is tart and persistent. Creamy and smooth overall.

D - Drinkability is very good. The strong flavors and overall complexity just keeps you coming back for sip after sip. This one goes down surprisingly easy. Lost Abbey has a winner with the Cable Car. It would be nice to see this one become more available in the future. (1,052 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

Huge thanks to raflord and jw347 for this one. Brought it out at our graduation tasting yesterday. Just an incredible beer!

A: Pours a glowing orange with a nice, frothy white head. Very nice orange and lemon color matched with the white head. Looks great.

S: Very tart, very geuze-like, with tons of lemon and oak with a funky cheese, and musty smell. Very complex, but not as complex as the darker sours in my opinion, like Deviation. Also some great white grape and white wine notes.

T: Immaculate. Very tart lemon and white grapes. Slightly vinous with white wine, very nice dry oak and slight cheesy funkiness. Very nice.

Overall, this was an incredible beer! (668 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

Huge, huge thanks to mba3243 for trading me a bottle of this brew. After being invited to taste with Beerloco and d0b I had to step up and find something worthy to bring to the table, and this gem just sort of popped up (after probably way too many pleading beermails to Mark). This was the '08 vintage (batch 2) and was served in my Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - One finger of off-white foam with lovely lacing. A pleasant hazed golden apricot color. Not the most interesting looking brew, you'd never realize what it was just by looking at it.

S - Holy funk Batman! Tons of brett, horse blanket, white wine, sour apples, oak, and notes of graham cracker sweetness. This is up there with the best Belgian gueuzes in terms of being delightfully funky but not out of control.

T - Sour apple, vinous and oaky, cider vinegar, and plenty of earthy funkiness evocative of stables, barns, and bales of hay. This is one of the rare brews where I didn't experience much drop-off from the smell to the taste. Dave astutely pointed out that it was similar to Isabelle, and after having a taste of IP late in the night I'd be inclined to agree.

M - Smooth, velvety, moderate carbonation, dry, woody finish from the oak-aging, and some of the cottonmouth tartness. There's a slight warmth that wasn't present in Deviation (which is only .57% lighter in ABV).

D - There is a touch of palate fatigue that sets in from the funk and sourness, but I'd still have few problems putting down an entire bottle. The last bit of the bottle had an almost milky consistency from the bottle-conditioning, but still tasting just as good (we weren't letting any of this stuff go to waste!).

After having landed this white whale I'm not certain I'd give up as much as I did again - however it was still worth it to try this rarity. I'm wondering how different this is from the first batch, as the rumor has it that the original recipe was never recorded and batch 2 is a "re-creation". This is a superb wild ale, it just had the misfortune of following up the sublime Deviation and paled a little in comparison. If our sour lineup was analogous to the LotR trilogy, this would be The Two Towers. (2,162 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -6.3%

750ml bottle into shaker pint on 4/18/09. Many thanks to akorsak for busting out this rarity at his recent tasting party!

A - Poured a hazy golden body with subtle carbonation and a thin, wispy white head that dissolved to a patchy film and left sparse lacing.

S - Citric notes with a sour apple character and a mild band-aid aspect. Dry oaky notes with a moderate tartness reminiscent of sour grapes.

T - Moderate tart and sour notes with apple and grape notes and a mild woody presence suggesting oaky, earthy notes. Finishes with a white wine crispness and a prevalent sour character. Finishes with a dry, tart sourness on the palate.

M - Medium bodied with a slight syrupy texture and lively carbonation. Dry, tart and crisp finish on the palate.

D - One of the better Wild Ales I've had thus far. Big thanks to akorsak for pulling out this 750ml before I had to leave his tasting on Saturday afternoon. Great stuff! (926 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -1.8%

Jessethehutt splurged on this bottle at Toronado, SD. Owe him bigtime. Split 4 ways.

A- golden, slightly cloudy, sudsy white foam.

S- Sour, like these lemon Quench Gum I have, only very light phenols and other funky compounds from the yeast. The acid is pretty prevalent on the nose.

T- A nice balance between sour and sweet. Not a ton of yeast character that I could detect in the taste, compared to say a Sanctification or a Cantillon Geuze. Not as dry in the finish as those either, this one finishes with a lot of sour and a little bit of sweet. Kinda like a sour candy.

M- Light, but at 7% there is some body with it. Carbonation was moderate to high, plenty for the style.

D- Tasty sour, not sure I fully understood it in my 6 oz sample to be able to rank it relative to other great sours I've had, but it was a good beer. (833 characters)

Cable Car from The Lost Abbey