Red Poppy Ale - The Lost Abbey

Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 09-07-2007

Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent.

Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart.

The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.
Reviews: 559 | Hads: 1,825
4.89/5  rDev +15.9%

Bottle is poured into my Lost Abbey tulip. Thanks to mikesgroove and irishgurl4 for both sending me a bottle of this as an extra.

A - Hazy ruby red body with a small white head.

S - Tart cherries and vinegar mingle. A hint of sweetness at the end brings it all together. Wow

T - Wow. I love this. Fantastic tart cherry flavor, slightly vinegar like, and a nice big sour flavor. No real funky notes but plenty of sour and cherry flavor. I am blown away.

M - medium body, good amount of carbonation.

D - This bottle has disappeared a lot quicker than I would have liked. Fantastic cherry flavor and plenty of sourness for me. I really really like this beer. I need to get more of this. (688 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Reviewed during the "Brett Pack" dinner at Monk's Cafe. Served in a tasting glass. This beer is aged in various oak barrels and then blended together.

A: It poured from the bottle looking like old wine. No head, no carbonation. The color was attractive though, showing a deep rosy red with light brown on the sides.

S: With the first whiff, you know that there are a ton of cherries in this beer, and you know it's going to make your mouth pucker. It's also not very difficult to smell the effects of oak-barrel aging here, with notes of wood, vanilla and earth/peat. I am in love with this smell, since it promises such richness and depth of flavor.

T: The taste is as expected. Very sour up front, with a sharp acidity. The flavor of sour cherries is evenly balanced by a mature oak and vanilla flavor. Notes of peat and smoke are in the back, and make for a very pleasant rounded character, ranging from sweet to sour to earthy.

M: Though it looks as though there is no carbonation, I would describe the mouthfeel as prickly. I don't know if that is the acidity or what, but the feel of this beer is well rounded too. Prickly up front but extremely smooth towards the swallow.

D: Just excellent balance all around and a delicious beer to boot. Another factor in the drinkability is the 5.5% abv. I loved drinking this, and was almost disappointed to move onto Isabelle Proximus.

We drank this beer alongside a rabbit terrine that was wrapped in prosciutto and then cut into thick slices and laid down on the plate with a sour cherry marmalade. This was the best pairing of the night and possibly one of the best that I have ever had. (1,643 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.4%

Served in a snifter, I need to get some lost Abby teku...

A: pours a very dark reddish brown, cloudy, finger worth of head
S: smells like a Flanders red, light cherry like baking cherries. Vanilla oak is also coming through
T: amazing, you can taste the very tart cherry mixed with the sweetness of the beer. It's like baking cherries though that are very tart not really sweet. You can also taste some oak flavors popping though. As it warms I get more of the oak flavor mixed with cherries, tartness calms down along with the sweetness. I would serve this cold at first and sip and enjoy more as it warms.
M: the high carbonation suits this style very and gives that tartness an extra kick and prickly feeling
O: absolutely phenomenal take on this style by lost abbey. I wish it was a little less expensive but well worth it to taste this beer. I have to say I like this better than the classic of this beer style, Duchesse. (928 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

375ml corked and caged bottle served at cellar temperature and poured into a tulip glass

A - Poured a very nice and extremely cloudy and hazy light brown with just a hint of a reddish tint to it. This was very murky, but you could still see some of the light coming through on the sides and bottom of the glass, and in fact there was enough of it that I could notice some very fine sediment on the bottom, as well as some carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass. A very nice head of approximately one and a half inches in height graced the top of it, and this settled down gradually, leaving behind a noticeable amount of side glass lace but nothing that was terribly too thick. The color on it was exquisite on this one, with just this burnt sienna color ( my son has a big box of crayons) that was just very nice. Did not come off terribly thick through the pour and seemed to have a light consistency to it but we shall see.

S - The aroma itself was very strong and very pungent. Almost immediately the yeast was in your face, giving it and extremely sour presence that I was not expecting, but should have known it was coming. Underneath that the clearly evident layer of cherries was starting to come through, tying to sweeten it up and giving it that very nice overall fruity vibe. Lots of spices now coming through as well, hints of what I picked up as cinnamon and fig were mixed in very well. Overall a very strong and very full aroma that was inviting and decidedly alive.

T - I really fell in love with this one upon the first sip that I took. The flavors were so vibrant and so well defined that it was very interesting to watch this one evolve over the course of the session. The first thing you would notice upon taking a sip was the nice sour taste coming though from the yeast. Big sour notes here, once they calmed down you started to pick up the fruity notes that were lying underneath of it. Lots of tart cherries that were really pushing their way up front and blending in nicely with a very spicy nutmeg like flavor. Very well balanced with no one thing really dominating over another, making for a very nice profile. Lots of different things going on here, with hints of even grapes and/or raisins starting to show as it warms up. The finish at least to me seemed to be the best part of the entire session. At first it was subtle, giving you a sour or bitter dry finish that drew out the flavor, but once you managed to run through that initial finish, their was this long lasting barrel aged cherry sweetness that was so good, it is almost impossible for me to accurately describe. I literally tasted that for a good 30 minutes after I finished that last drop. It was very sweet and bitter at the same time, not overpowering, just this subtle long lasting taste. This was really quite breathtaking to be honest. A wonderful taste here overall.

M - Very light bodied ale, despite the huge flavors, this one really never did get too big on you. The carbonation profile was excellent as well, never going flat, even though I took my sweet old time in finishing it, there was never a dull moment. I would have to say it was more crisp and refreshing then it was smooth, and really just superb all around in every way.

D - Now this was just perfect here. Nothing at all should be subtracted, as I rarely find something that I could sit down and enjoy sipping on for more then an hour in a sitting without becoming bored. This was it though. The flavors were exquisite and constantly evolving with changing temperatures, the carbonation was damn near perfect, never getting dull or flat, consistency was perfect, leaving it light, but not thin, and the ABV a modest 5%. I mean c'mon what more could you possibly even begin to ask for. I would have had ten of these if I could have.

Overall this one literally floored me. I have loved everything that has come out of Lost Abbey, and not being biased, but seriously, who else is this consistent with quality, I mean it seems everything new they put out is better then the one before that, its almost unheard of. This was just tremendous. A light fruity sour ale that had me literally giddy with excitement. This was something not only I would gladly have again, but that I would be actively searching for more of. One of the best I have ever had. (4,328 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

I sampled this at last year's GABF and it inspired me to join the Sinners Club.

A light pop upon pulling the cork, it pours a cloudy rust colour with about an inch of foam and some nice lacing.
Halfway through, the foam and lacing are gone.

The smell is sweet! Not in the common sense of the word, mind you, but the sour cherries are permeating my every nosebud and that spells s-w-e-e-t to me! Sniffing past the wonderful tartness, I get a nice oakiness and a goodly amount of vanilla with a really light amount of bready malt lurking in there somewhere. I can't wait to take my first sip from the glass..

The taste is nice and tart with the cherries shining through like nobody's business. Tasty notes of oak and vanilla give it some complexity and balance with no sign of any bread at all. Maybe I imagined it in the smell? I can taste the vanilla mostly near the finish...no...actually near and through the finish. Nice long lasting aftertaste. This is one hell of a yummy brew!

The mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is very light but this isn't a style that I'd like even medium carbonation. Light is right.

Drinkability? It is one of the fastest disappearing brews ever poured in my glass. I wish I had a case of this stuff!!

Bottom line: I loved it at the GABF with all the ambiance and hooplah that goes hand in hand with a beer festival so I'm pleased as punch that sitting at my computer and drinking a bottle at my leisure,
I get just as much pleasure out of it. Wonderful brew!

Edit: Just popped the cork on the 2010 edition and there was a big pop. I poured it in my New Belgium goblet and saw close to 2 fingers worth of foam. Big difference from the 2009!

Smell, taste, and drinkability...copy my notes from the 2009 but the carbonation definitely added some zip both to look and mouthfeel and the foam gave me some very nice lacing. The incredibly excellent Red Poppy just got kicked up a few notches!! (1,935 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +14.7%

tasted (a few times) at the NotB. If I ever acquire a whole bottle I will go back and try and write a more detailed review.

The first thing that jumped out was the nose on this beer. My eyes must have doubled in size and my lips formed a whoah expression. The guy from Lost Abbey pouring just kind of looked at my reaction and gave a smile that said.. yes it is a glorious smell..

What a way to break up all those Barrel Aged Imp Stouts. This was a gem that stood out.

First sniff was sweet love of sour cherries. Followed by vinegar notes pushing it's way through.. asking my senses to WAKE UP and get ready for what was about to be delivered.

The taste did not fail. No sir. Not being that familiar with Sours, yet.. I can see how some might be put off at first and then warm up to this.. but It was love at first smell/taste for me.

Can't wait until I can obtain a bottle and sit at my house and really pick this beer apart. (933 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My 100th BA review.

Served from a 375ml bottle into a Kriek Belle-Vue tulip. Vintage date is impossible to read.

Appearance- Dark purple/red/tawny color with very quick bubbly off-white head. Hold it up to a light and it's beautiful red.

Smell- Lemon vinegar, oaky vanilla, tart cherys, oaky funk. Beautiful smell. Oak is very prominent.

Taste- Very tart cherry up front soon gives way to vanilla and oak flavors. Mild musty funk comes through lightly. Cherry is prominent throughout. Finish is sweet and sour cherry. Phenomenal.

Mouthfeel- Very carbonated and crisp. Quite sour, but not overly puckering. Really great balance.

Overall- This is a beautiful beer. I wish I could drink this every day. (706 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Cracked a 2014 to celebrate the release of the 2015! Poured from a 375 mL bottle into a .4L Bruery tulip.

L: Pours a murky deep brown, with cranberry hues in the light. a thick cream/beige head forms on the pour and recedes quickly into a fine, but steady, head that laces the glass and falls away within minutes.

S: Tart tart tart, with a subtle hint of funk deep within the glass. Enticing. Subtle cherry in the middle, but you can absolutely smell the sour. Minute alcohol.

T: Oh yes. Just like it smells, really tart, and delicious. But with so much more cherry in the taste. Oak in subtle ways that mellow into farmhouse funky cherry goodness.

F: Dry. Carbonated nicely and finely, but dissipates as it warms. Coats the tongue and cheeks nicely with resiny tartness.

O: Great beer. I drink a large number of sours and this one stands up in its particular category. It is aggressive and may not be for all beer drinkers, or even sour drinkers. If you dig the style go with a classic American interpretation of it. (1,033 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Bigger bubbles than expected, not too much lacing, a very hazy but very nice mahongany.

Smell: Beauftiful malty, salty sour scent, funky oak. Can't wait to taste.

Taste: Pow! Rush of tart. Overlayed by nice malt. Fruit peaks through. Then there's something interesting I've never quite tasted before. Another review wrote balsamic vinegar, but it's less sweet, more subtle umami in the background. Shadowy, mysterious. Holy smokes this is a fantastic beer.

Feel: Sharply carbonated. Dry finish, nice linger.

Overall: Whoa, better than anticipated, even for Lost Abbey! (590 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance is brownish-red and murky with a dirty white thin head that recedes relatively quickly. Small amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell is sexy. Vinegar, cherries, earthy, very fragrant.

Taste kind of surprised me. It's a mild sour that is very pleasing to taste. Strong cherry notes dominate, but there's some earth, some oak. Begins sweet and finishes with a crisp tartness... Vinuous is a good adjective... sorry I stole that one from the other reviews, but it's better than "wine-like"

Mouthfeel is crisp and carbonated, oily, tongue humbling.

Dangerously drinkable! At least IMHO... Very pleasant to me, and I think I could down this like a non-alcoholic soda/juice even though I prefer to enjoy it slowly over time. (736 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

A: Pours a very murky dark red/brownish color, leaves a nice thick tannish brown head and slowly goes away leaving thick lacing around the glass

S: Loads of sour/ tart cherry! and there is a very nice floral aroma mixed with it, assuming some of it is the red poppies. Can get hints of sweetness in it, I'm getting a very light caramel, vanilla aroma, presumably from the barrel aging, smells outstanding!

T: Sour/tart cherries! Can get a slight hint of sweet cherry in there as well. There's a very nice funk taste to it as well, I wanna say it is brett but not too sure. Then the slight bread, caramel, vanilla sweet malt comes in on the finish. The sourness level is perfect, it makes your face pucker only a little, and this makes it enjoyable to keep drinking to see if it will continue to make you pucker, fantastic in flavor!

M: Lots of carbonation, medium bodied, slightly oily but leaves a nice dry finish

O: Very well rounded beer, the smell hit me immediately and I knew it was going to be a fantastic beer, if you ever have the opportunity to get this beer, you need to get this beer! (1,100 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Amazing at turkey day dinner. Pours a murky brown red with minimal head. Lacing is ecxellent smells like fresh cherries. So ripe and delicious the sour level is huge and bLanced. One of my all time favorites from la. The levels of sourness is amazing I think lost abbey hAs a winner with this one. (297 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Review from notes on 3/6/10. Shared with Eddy from Monk's. Thanks dude!

A- Brilliant deep amber with a lasting off white head, excellent lacing. Mildly hazy, ruby hues. 4.5

S- Rich sourness, lots of vinegar and sweetness of cherries, hint of caramel, and red wine. Simply fantastic. 4.5

T- Very similar to the aroma. Lots of sour cherry tartness mingling with a touch of earthiness. A lovely blend of flavors that leaves a lingering sweet and sour aftertaste. 5.0

M- Light bodied but carbonation gives a fuller perception, dry finish. 4.5

D- This is one of the best sours I have ever had. Period. 5.0

Note- reviewing this does not do it justice. If you ever get a chance to try this beer, it will be in your favor. (720 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

We did a triple tasting at some point in the last 2 months, we as in galengueuze, viciousknish, and theformula. There were 2 bottles from 2011, and one from 2010.

We started with the 2011, and once the cork was popped the carbonation began to flow. Luckily though, we were able to save most of the beer before catastrophe struck.

The entire group feens for sour, tart and/or funky and this beer hit the spot. I only speak for myself on this, but this is my favorite offering from Lost Abbey.

Tart cherries hit you in the nose upon opening and really shine through in the taste as well. It's a very crisp refreshing beer that makes me wish I lived in CA to have this beer on hand a bit more regularly. (706 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +13.5%

Much thanks to Jtrockchalk for this gem.

Poured a 375ml into my oversized Dogfish Head snifter. To start with, this has to be one of the sexiest bottles I have ever had the pleasure of looking at. This beer pours a muddy garnet with just a wisp of of a head leaving no lacing. I poured this pretty hard to try to work up a head but alas, nothing. Along with no head came no lacing. The aroma is amazing. Tart pie cherries up front, balsamic vinegar, oak, and a wicked lactic tartness. The flavor matches and exceeds the taste. Simply marvelous. Huge tart pie cherries and balsamic vinegar push up front but leaving enough room for fresh oak, lactic tang, and a sublte sweetness that lingers on the palate at the finish of the taste. The mouthfeel is exceptional. Just a light carbonation that prickles the tongue, leaving the palate slightly dry and craving another sip. This beer is exceptional. (897 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13%

Sampled in a small tulip at the release on 1-19. Tons of sediment in my glass compared with little to no sediment in the glasses around me. I though about sending it back, but decided to let it warm up and settle for 20 minutes while I waited in line. After about 2 minutes I started sipping it because i just couldn't wait. First aroma is that of overripe cherries with some brettamyces in the background. Mouthfeel was tart and slightly puckering aftertaste. Hint of green apples and caramel malt in the finish. I am new to this style but I loved the balanced effervescense which made it quite drinkable. Not as sour of a finish as its cantillon counterparts. (661 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13%

Popped my caged and corked Red poppy ale. I was extremely happy to hear a huge pop when I corked it, no flat abbey here. It even gushed out a little bit, but luckily I had my glass right there to catch this beauty.

Appearance-Pours with a 1 1/2 finger head leaving lots of lace, and showed great carbonation. Off white head. Red poppy has a deep brown color with amber hues in the depth of it reflecting the cherries used in it.

Aroma- Brett, funk, cherry, sour, candy apple, almost sweet, and a lot of oak. This beer had a great nose on it the brett and funk melded exceptionally well with the cherry aromas, with the oak finishing it up nicely.

Taste- Red poppy flowed over my palate with a beautiful funky bright cherry flavor. The brett and oak came in on the back end with a huge patch of sourness, and a little bit of a nice vinegar note. It ends with a beautiful sour cherry finish.

Mouthfeel- Amazing smooth silky mouthfeel, with great carbonation that seamlessly blends with the sourness.

Overall- A beautiful representation of this style, and it was a great beer overall. Good job Lost Abbey. (1,107 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Received this brew from metallitone1 in a recent trade. This is my first brew from The Lost Abbey side of things and I look forward to this one. By far the best looking bottle I've ever had the pleasure of sampling a beer from. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- On first pour it's a crystal clear pink with nice foamy bright white head. Once you empty the bottom of the bottle it turns to a dark brownish red with the same perfectly white head. Leaves a nice cap and collar with plenty of chunky lacing.
Smell- Very tart with a light sour cherry start. Full of lactic goodness with small amounts of oak that lend a subtle vanilla. This thing sort of reminds me of a Brett filled red wine (if there is such a thing). Sharp, fruity and funky this is one inviting scent.
Taste- The sour cherries are the first thing that hits me on my first sip. Very tart and lactic it starts big and brash. Not as vinegary as other beers of this type but the sourness of the cherries makes up for the lack of yeastly pucker. The original punch quickly fades leaving a soft resounding vanilla woodiness. The oak coats the back of my throat leaving a sweet woody residual finish.
Mouthfeel- Considering the beer the mouthfeel is fairly solid and sturdy with sharp/crisp carbonation and a dry finish.
Drinkability- This is a really great beer that I wish I could drink anytime I'm in the mood for the style. It's ridiculously drinkable and freakishly tasty. I'm not sure how this stands up to some other Lost Abbey brews but if they've done any style as tasty as they've made this one, I'll be really pleasantly surprised. Big thanks to Tim for the opportunity! (1,661 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Haw River Farmhouse Ales teku glass. 2014 Vintage.

A- Pours a somewhat murky medium brown color with a 3/4 inch light tan head that retains decently before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of surface foam. Not-so-resilient lacing leaves small clots behind.

S- Nice tart cherry funk with some toasty malt in the back. Classic Flanders aroma.

T- Moderate tartness upfront and then the cherries hit with lots of funky undertones interlaced so nicely in the flavor profile. Man, the cherries really drive this one home. The sweet-to-sour ratio is damn near perfect.

M- Prickly and slightly dry with medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the lighter side. The dryness builds as the drink progresses, especially once the sediment is introduced.

O- I've had beers this optimally funky and sour before but I've never had one where the fruit provides such a delightful pivot point for the funk and tartness to play off of. Not the best sour I've ever had but definitely in my top 5. (1,048 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +12.3%

I'm very surprised to find this in a couple stores. I'm also very surprised to see it marked at $16.49 and $18.99 per 375 ml corked and caged bottle. Wish me a good journey. On to the beer:

Poured into my Falke chalice, this ale features a dark amber color (leaing towards brown) for the most part, with hues of red and light orange. The second pour creates a more murky color. Head forms a finger's thick on top, gently going down to a thin lace on top. Upfront in the smell are a lot of sour/tart cherries. There's also some liquid caramel playing along beautifully.

First sip is really tart and sour. Oh, but it is bliss. A dab of sweet butterscotch is the first note to hit. Shortly after, you get a bombardment of cherries and puckering tart/sour flavor. Very puckering. Somehow, it manages to be addictive without being too much of a good thing. Moderate acidity. Long and lingering in the aftertaste is the tartness. Very pleasant in the mouth....the liquid is on the lighter side, but the tartness makes me forget how light it is. Some sprinkles of carbonation add zest. The beer goes down really easy, and it is very difficult to slow down my rate of consumption.

Tart Tongues™, rejoice! Red Poppy Ale is, without a doubt, outstanding beer. If you see it, pick it up. (1,282 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

375mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. Thanks to domtronzero for this one!

(A)- Pours a deep and dark burnt sienna color that produced a good frothy tan head with good retention. Some foamy lace left behind.

(S)- A lovely sour funk with a light vinegar acidity. A brief cherry fruitiness with a dry oaky wood component. A lovely balance of sour funk and fruits.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. A big acidic sourness that stays with you to the finish. A good dry woody funk bite with a lightly creamy fruit finish.

(M)- A lively carbonation level that pricks up on the tongue. A good balance of acidic sourness, funk, and subtle fruits.

(D)- A great take on the style. Everything you would expect from the style too, if, with just some hints at a wild ale too. Great taste and aroma. I would like to have more of this please. (853 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

A- Poured a dark brownish red. Finger head into a wide tulip glass.

S- The second i opened the cap on the bottle I got a huge whiff of vinegar. Made me think that it had gone bad. But by the time it was poured into a snifter glass the aroma of this beer exploded. The vinegar was there but faintly present while the cherries and oak mixed in tart funkiness. The smell of this beer is phenomenal.

T- Starts with a flat general funkiness that is followed up by big tart cherries with a touch of oak on the finish. Slightly underwhelmed simply because the nose was so pleasant.

M- Light in the tongue with a pleasantly smooth low carbonation. The tartness sticks to the tongue between sips.

O- One of the best from Lost Abbey, this was a 2011 bottle so I'm anxious to see what it does with a little time. I think it could really mature into something exceptional because it's already damn good. (895 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

Beautiful bottle, definitely really classy. I love the image of the poppy on black with the heavy glass, and I love the name. I guess Poppies will always be associated with Flanders after the "Flanders Field" association. Pours a murky reddish/orange brown with a slight head, but what head there is surprisingly sticks around as a swirl of light foam for a very long time. Smells quite acetic, with some red fruit, a bit of leather, and a touch of funk right at the end. Taste is marvelous, and quite complex. Starts sour with a bit of spiciness and more red fruit and plum. It becomes more minerally, funkier, and woodier. The finish is both spicy and funky with flavors of aged, runny cheese. The fruity sourness persists throughout. Delicious and very balanced. The oak contributes some funkiness, and some light tannins, but there is no flavor of new oak or vanilla. The mouthfeel is pure and acetic, but benefits from the light tannins lending some structure. A complex beer, as complex as much stronger beers. Tremendously drinkable and ebjoyable. (1,054 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

Enjoyed this brew thoroughly. Figured i'd enjoy it in a snifter which in turn made the "sour" cherry smell unbelievable! Poured dark red with a light pink head about half inch thick on top. Sweet/Tart taste was everything i look for in a Flanders Red. (251 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

3-14-09 (second release, Jan 2009)
Poured into a Lost Abbey tumbler. Appearance is reddish brown, mildly clear. Smell is dominated by sour cherry. Taste is also dominated by sour cherry, and a puckering sourness. The style allows for low to medium carbonation, and this is definitely on the low side. I'm not going to say it's lower than it should be, but it's a little low for my tastes. Just an excellent beer. Ratings updated.

___

2-3-08 (first release, Jan 2008)
Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. It's a clear brown liquid with an ever so slight tint of red. The off-white head is hard to form and is made up of large bubbles that fall very fast. The smell is lactic sour but there seems to be a smooth subdued funk behind it. The taste has a sourness and the cherry is sometimes easy to pick out and sometimes appears to be absent. There is a very fine carbonation to this, tiny bubbles that tingle a bit.
4 / 4 / 4.5 / 4.5 / 4
___

1-20-08
On tap and poured into a small flute glass at The Lost Abbey. Pours a pretty clear but noticeably unfiltered light brown. The smell is tart, the cherries are apparent but definitely not as strong as when we sampled at the barrel tasting in August '07. The taste is tart, slightly acidic, the cherries come in mostly at the beginning of the sip, and it finishes with a medium dryness. It's definitely not as sweet I will have to re-update this review when I try a bottle. (1,429 characters)

Red Poppy Ale from The Lost Abbey