Red Poppy Ale - The Lost Abbey

Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 09-07-2007

Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent.

Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart.

The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Poppy Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,799 | Reviews: 555
4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance is brownish-red and murky with a dirty white thin head that recedes relatively quickly. Small amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell is sexy. Vinegar, cherries, earthy, very fragrant.

Taste kind of surprised me. It's a mild sour that is very pleasing to taste. Strong cherry notes dominate, but there's some earth, some oak. Begins sweet and finishes with a crisp tartness... Vinuous is a good adjective... sorry I stole that one from the other reviews, but it's better than "wine-like"

Mouthfeel is crisp and carbonated, oily, tongue humbling.

Dangerously drinkable! At least IMHO... Very pleasant to me, and I think I could down this like a non-alcoholic soda/juice even though I prefer to enjoy it slowly over time.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Pours a very murky dark red/brownish color, leaves a nice thick tannish brown head and slowly goes away leaving thick lacing around the glass

S: Loads of sour/ tart cherry! and there is a very nice floral aroma mixed with it, assuming some of it is the red poppies. Can get hints of sweetness in it, I'm getting a very light caramel, vanilla aroma, presumably from the barrel aging, smells outstanding!

T: Sour/tart cherries! Can get a slight hint of sweet cherry in there as well. There's a very nice funk taste to it as well, I wanna say it is brett but not too sure. Then the slight bread, caramel, vanilla sweet malt comes in on the finish. The sourness level is perfect, it makes your face pucker only a little, and this makes it enjoyable to keep drinking to see if it will continue to make you pucker, fantastic in flavor!

M: Lots of carbonation, medium bodied, slightly oily but leaves a nice dry finish

O: Very well rounded beer, the smell hit me immediately and I knew it was going to be a fantastic beer, if you ever have the opportunity to get this beer, you need to get this beer!

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Amazing at turkey day dinner. Pours a murky brown red with minimal head. Lacing is ecxellent smells like fresh cherries. So ripe and delicious the sour level is huge and bLanced. One of my all time favorites from la. The levels of sourness is amazing I think lost abbey hAs a winner with this one.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Review from notes on 3/6/10. Shared with Eddy from Monk's. Thanks dude!

A- Brilliant deep amber with a lasting off white head, excellent lacing. Mildly hazy, ruby hues. 4.5

S- Rich sourness, lots of vinegar and sweetness of cherries, hint of caramel, and red wine. Simply fantastic. 4.5

T- Very similar to the aroma. Lots of sour cherry tartness mingling with a touch of earthiness. A lovely blend of flavors that leaves a lingering sweet and sour aftertaste. 5.0

M- Light bodied but carbonation gives a fuller perception, dry finish. 4.5

D- This is one of the best sours I have ever had. Period. 5.0

Note- reviewing this does not do it justice. If you ever get a chance to try this beer, it will be in your favor.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

We did a triple tasting at some point in the last 2 months, we as in galengueuze, viciousknish, and theformula. There were 2 bottles from 2011, and one from 2010.

We started with the 2011, and once the cork was popped the carbonation began to flow. Luckily though, we were able to save most of the beer before catastrophe struck.

The entire group feens for sour, tart and/or funky and this beer hit the spot. I only speak for myself on this, but this is my favorite offering from Lost Abbey.

Tart cherries hit you in the nose upon opening and really shine through in the taste as well. It's a very crisp refreshing beer that makes me wish I lived in CA to have this beer on hand a bit more regularly.

4.79/5  rDev +11.9%

Much thanks to Jtrockchalk for this gem.

Poured a 375ml into my oversized Dogfish Head snifter. To start with, this has to be one of the sexiest bottles I have ever had the pleasure of looking at. This beer pours a muddy garnet with just a wisp of of a head leaving no lacing. I poured this pretty hard to try to work up a head but alas, nothing. Along with no head came no lacing. The aroma is amazing. Tart pie cherries up front, balsamic vinegar, oak, and a wicked lactic tartness. The flavor matches and exceeds the taste. Simply marvelous. Huge tart pie cherries and balsamic vinegar push up front but leaving enough room for fresh oak, lactic tang, and a sublte sweetness that lingers on the palate at the finish of the taste. The mouthfeel is exceptional. Just a light carbonation that prickles the tongue, leaving the palate slightly dry and craving another sip. This beer is exceptional.

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Sampled in a small tulip at the release on 1-19. Tons of sediment in my glass compared with little to no sediment in the glasses around me. I though about sending it back, but decided to let it warm up and settle for 20 minutes while I waited in line. After about 2 minutes I started sipping it because i just couldn't wait. First aroma is that of overripe cherries with some brettamyces in the background. Mouthfeel was tart and slightly puckering aftertaste. Hint of green apples and caramel malt in the finish. I am new to this style but I loved the balanced effervescense which made it quite drinkable. Not as sour of a finish as its cantillon counterparts.

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Popped my caged and corked Red poppy ale. I was extremely happy to hear a huge pop when I corked it, no flat abbey here. It even gushed out a little bit, but luckily I had my glass right there to catch this beauty.

Appearance-Pours with a 1 1/2 finger head leaving lots of lace, and showed great carbonation. Off white head. Red poppy has a deep brown color with amber hues in the depth of it reflecting the cherries used in it.

Aroma- Brett, funk, cherry, sour, candy apple, almost sweet, and a lot of oak. This beer had a great nose on it the brett and funk melded exceptionally well with the cherry aromas, with the oak finishing it up nicely.

Taste- Red poppy flowed over my palate with a beautiful funky bright cherry flavor. The brett and oak came in on the back end with a huge patch of sourness, and a little bit of a nice vinegar note. It ends with a beautiful sour cherry finish.

Mouthfeel- Amazing smooth silky mouthfeel, with great carbonation that seamlessly blends with the sourness.

Overall- A beautiful representation of this style, and it was a great beer overall. Good job Lost Abbey.

4.76/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Darn near perfect local sour. On tap @ Craft Kitchen, La Mesa CA.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Received this brew from metallitone1 in a recent trade. This is my first brew from The Lost Abbey side of things and I look forward to this one. By far the best looking bottle I've ever had the pleasure of sampling a beer from. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- On first pour it's a crystal clear pink with nice foamy bright white head. Once you empty the bottom of the bottle it turns to a dark brownish red with the same perfectly white head. Leaves a nice cap and collar with plenty of chunky lacing.
Smell- Very tart with a light sour cherry start. Full of lactic goodness with small amounts of oak that lend a subtle vanilla. This thing sort of reminds me of a Brett filled red wine (if there is such a thing). Sharp, fruity and funky this is one inviting scent.
Taste- The sour cherries are the first thing that hits me on my first sip. Very tart and lactic it starts big and brash. Not as vinegary as other beers of this type but the sourness of the cherries makes up for the lack of yeastly pucker. The original punch quickly fades leaving a soft resounding vanilla woodiness. The oak coats the back of my throat leaving a sweet woody residual finish.
Mouthfeel- Considering the beer the mouthfeel is fairly solid and sturdy with sharp/crisp carbonation and a dry finish.
Drinkability- This is a really great beer that I wish I could drink anytime I'm in the mood for the style. It's ridiculously drinkable and freakishly tasty. I'm not sure how this stands up to some other Lost Abbey brews but if they've done any style as tasty as they've made this one, I'll be really pleasantly surprised. Big thanks to Tim for the opportunity!

4.74/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Haw River Farmhouse Ales teku glass. 2014 Vintage.

A- Pours a somewhat murky medium brown color with a 3/4 inch light tan head that retains decently before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of surface foam. Not-so-resilient lacing leaves small clots behind.

S- Nice tart cherry funk with some toasty malt in the back. Classic Flanders aroma.

T- Moderate tartness upfront and then the cherries hit with lots of funky undertones interlaced so nicely in the flavor profile. Man, the cherries really drive this one home. The sweet-to-sour ratio is damn near perfect.

M- Prickly and slightly dry with medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the lighter side. The dryness builds as the drink progresses, especially once the sediment is introduced.

O- I've had beers this optimally funky and sour before but I've never had one where the fruit provides such a delightful pivot point for the funk and tartness to play off of. Not the best sour I've ever had but definitely in my top 5.

4.74/5  rDev +10.7%

I'm very surprised to find this in a couple stores. I'm also very surprised to see it marked at $16.49 and $18.99 per 375 ml corked and caged bottle. Wish me a good journey. On to the beer:

Poured into my Falke chalice, this ale features a dark amber color (leaing towards brown) for the most part, with hues of red and light orange. The second pour creates a more murky color. Head forms a finger's thick on top, gently going down to a thin lace on top. Upfront in the smell are a lot of sour/tart cherries. There's also some liquid caramel playing along beautifully.

First sip is really tart and sour. Oh, but it is bliss. A dab of sweet butterscotch is the first note to hit. Shortly after, you get a bombardment of cherries and puckering tart/sour flavor. Very puckering. Somehow, it manages to be addictive without being too much of a good thing. Moderate acidity. Long and lingering in the aftertaste is the tartness. Very pleasant in the mouth....the liquid is on the lighter side, but the tartness makes me forget how light it is. Some sprinkles of carbonation add zest. The beer goes down really easy, and it is very difficult to slow down my rate of consumption.

Tart Tongues™, rejoice! Red Poppy Ale is, without a doubt, outstanding beer. If you see it, pick it up.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

375mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. Thanks to domtronzero for this one!

(A)- Pours a deep and dark burnt sienna color that produced a good frothy tan head with good retention. Some foamy lace left behind.

(S)- A lovely sour funk with a light vinegar acidity. A brief cherry fruitiness with a dry oaky wood component. A lovely balance of sour funk and fruits.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. A big acidic sourness that stays with you to the finish. A good dry woody funk bite with a lightly creamy fruit finish.

(M)- A lively carbonation level that pricks up on the tongue. A good balance of acidic sourness, funk, and subtle fruits.

(D)- A great take on the style. Everything you would expect from the style too, if, with just some hints at a wild ale too. Great taste and aroma. I would like to have more of this please.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A- Poured a dark brownish red. Finger head into a wide tulip glass.

S- The second i opened the cap on the bottle I got a huge whiff of vinegar. Made me think that it had gone bad. But by the time it was poured into a snifter glass the aroma of this beer exploded. The vinegar was there but faintly present while the cherries and oak mixed in tart funkiness. The smell of this beer is phenomenal.

T- Starts with a flat general funkiness that is followed up by big tart cherries with a touch of oak on the finish. Slightly underwhelmed simply because the nose was so pleasant.

M- Light in the tongue with a pleasantly smooth low carbonation. The tartness sticks to the tongue between sips.

O- One of the best from Lost Abbey, this was a 2011 bottle so I'm anxious to see what it does with a little time. I think it could really mature into something exceptional because it's already damn good.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Beautiful bottle, definitely really classy. I love the image of the poppy on black with the heavy glass, and I love the name. I guess Poppies will always be associated with Flanders after the "Flanders Field" association. Pours a murky reddish/orange brown with a slight head, but what head there is surprisingly sticks around as a swirl of light foam for a very long time. Smells quite acetic, with some red fruit, a bit of leather, and a touch of funk right at the end. Taste is marvelous, and quite complex. Starts sour with a bit of spiciness and more red fruit and plum. It becomes more minerally, funkier, and woodier. The finish is both spicy and funky with flavors of aged, runny cheese. The fruity sourness persists throughout. Delicious and very balanced. The oak contributes some funkiness, and some light tannins, but there is no flavor of new oak or vanilla. The mouthfeel is pure and acetic, but benefits from the light tannins lending some structure. A complex beer, as complex as much stronger beers. Tremendously drinkable and ebjoyable.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Enjoyed this brew thoroughly. Figured i'd enjoy it in a snifter which in turn made the "sour" cherry smell unbelievable! Poured dark red with a light pink head about half inch thick on top. Sweet/Tart taste was everything i look for in a Flanders Red.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

3-14-09 (second release, Jan 2009)
Poured into a Lost Abbey tumbler. Appearance is reddish brown, mildly clear. Smell is dominated by sour cherry. Taste is also dominated by sour cherry, and a puckering sourness. The style allows for low to medium carbonation, and this is definitely on the low side. I'm not going to say it's lower than it should be, but it's a little low for my tastes. Just an excellent beer. Ratings updated.

___

2-3-08 (first release, Jan 2008)
Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. It's a clear brown liquid with an ever so slight tint of red. The off-white head is hard to form and is made up of large bubbles that fall very fast. The smell is lactic sour but there seems to be a smooth subdued funk behind it. The taste has a sourness and the cherry is sometimes easy to pick out and sometimes appears to be absent. There is a very fine carbonation to this, tiny bubbles that tingle a bit.
4 / 4 / 4.5 / 4.5 / 4
___

1-20-08
On tap and poured into a small flute glass at The Lost Abbey. Pours a pretty clear but noticeably unfiltered light brown. The smell is tart, the cherries are apparent but definitely not as strong as when we sampled at the barrel tasting in August '07. The taste is tart, slightly acidic, the cherries come in mostly at the beginning of the sip, and it finishes with a medium dryness. It's definitely not as sweet I will have to re-update this review when I try a bottle.

Bottle shared by Huhzubendah.. Thanks Matt-

Review from notes:

Red Poppy ale pours an amber color w/ a sliver of cocoa head. Lots of sediment in this one. Excellent smelling brew- Sourness, cherries, berry, yeast are the main things I get. Really smooth, and not too bitter. Taste steps it up a notch. This is one of the best beers I've had in this style. Sourness, cherry, and oak are the main things I get, and the brew improves and opens up w/ warming. Feel is smooth, tart w/ a decent amount of acidity. Overall, this is a winner- glad I got to try it. Cheers-

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The cork came surprising me with what sounded like a gunshot.

Pours a gorgeous clear, red/mahogany with a 1-finger, light tan head that fell quickly to a ring & partial cover. No lacing but there is a nice, continuous carbonation stream rising from the nucleation point in my snifter.

The smell is some cherry, some wood, some vinegar and a bit of the funk.

The taste centers on the funk but all of the things in the smell surround it giving it a more than the sum of the parts quality.

Mouthfeel is effervescent carbonation, thinnish body and is pretty dry.

Overall: This is a solid beer, both for style and just in general. This is something that II wish came around more often and a little less expensive though I would still buy one once in a while at the going rate in Philly. Highly recommended for sour fans.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As a lover of sour beers this is one of my absolute favorite beers of all time. It smells amazing and the beer is very effervescent and is extremely drinkable. Not a beer to start off sour beers on as it is quite sour but no acetobacter at all and is extremely clean. I recommend this to anyone that likes sour beer as it is one of the best around.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Vintage 2012.

Dark Brown, slight haze. Good head retention. Carbonation looks nice and bubbly.

Aroma is pineapple, kiwi... over-ripe fruit. Touch of strawberry. Cherry is very faint, instead there is more complex stuff going on here. Touch of oak.

Cherry comes out a lot more in the taste. Tart cherry, oak comes through in the finish now, and lingers on. Melon... pineapple. Lactic bite cuts through the sweetness. More subtle oak. SO complex. Lots of fruity flavors all melding together.

Medium body, good viscosity, especially for a 5% beer! Carbonation is perfect. nice and bubbly.

An extremely refreshing, complex, delicious, beautiful sour ale. I wish I had a bigger bottle.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

'08 vintage.

Pours a rich, hazy brown with a silky tan head. Nice lace and retention.

The nose has tart cherris up front followed by oak, manure, cabernet, horse blanket and more wild cherries.

Taste is a nice balance between a sour Brett presence, sweet cherries, wood, red wine and barnyard funk funk.

Nice dry and acidic finish. Medium body is complimented by the delicate yet crisp carbonation.

Another fantastic offering from Tomme, Really grew on me as it warmed.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to mlaroche for this CARBONATED bottle!

Pours a dark brown color with deep reddish hues when held up to the light, fizzy carbonated bubbles about an inch high fade away at a rapid pace, no lacing on the glass.

Smell has a rich sour tart cherry aroma, vinegar twinges the nose, picking up a bit of oak woodiness that adds some complexity.

Taste really has quite the sour vinegar kick upfront, tickles the side of the tongue, a deeper complexity creeps into play as the wood character mellows out the sourness, cherry tartness is quite prevalent, not overly sweet or cloying, carbonation is quite present and kind of fizzy (a shock!).

One of Lost Abbey's finer beers, almost makes you forgive them for past sins.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Well I can see where the name comes into play a red ruby garnet type coor with little spritzy head that quickly fades into a ring around the glass.

Christ that is some nose. Wonderful woodsy aromas sour cherry, red currant, brett sour esters, dried berries, lavender and more. Amazing nose.

Just an amazing beer. Great oak notes follow the thick sour mouth puckering entry and middle. Full of tart fruits and berries cherry leading the way a nice acidic character on the finish and middle. Mouth is round and puckering and a beer I could sip on daily if available.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance: Pours a fairly clear garnet with a film of big bubbles that fades quickly, though manages to deliver a few dots of lace

Smell: Tart cherries mixed with an almost cedary oak character and balsamic vinegar

Taste: Dry, oaky flavors up front with a bursting tart cherry flavor that develops by mid-palate; though there is considerable fruity sweetness, the lactic sourness keeps it thoroughly in check; after the swallow, the flavors start to mellow out, with plenty of lemon/lime sour fruit and oak in the finish

Mouthfeel: Despite the lack of carbonation, the beer is not flat, though its body is relatively light

Drinkability: Just a stunning achievement; the fruit is so powerful, yet so restrained

Re-sampled in 2012, courtesy of bobertkuekn, and found the carbonation problems to be corrected - upping the Appearance and Mouthfeel scores, as a result

Red Poppy Ale from The Lost Abbey