2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Red Poppy Ale - The Lost Abbey

Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent.

Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart.

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 09-07-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Poppy Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,414 | Reviews: 517 | Show All Ratings:
m1ked

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had the pleasure to wait in line, and have a taster at the release. I waffled whether I should get the $3 taster, or $8 pint. I went with the taster and I am glad I did. It is an excellant sipping beer, so I think a whole pint would have been overload, for me. Great time at the release though. Cracked one open last night to share with my oenophile wife.

A- Light orangey/brown. Like weak coffee or ice tea appearance. Nearly no head that quickly dissipates.

S- Bright & tart sour cheeries, with a hint of orange. Light wood, slight phenol at the end.

T- Tart, sour cherries, tangy wood, sour cherries, and sour cherries.

M- Thin. Quickly slides off my tongue, light carbonation. Makes my salivary glands work overtime.

D- If you enjoy this style, or sour in general this is a great brew. 1 bottle is definetly enough for me. I think this would pair excellent with food.

01-30-2008 03:10:01 | More by m1ked
alpinebryant

Connecticut

Vintage 2010

Pours a cloudy raisin brown with a pretty active head that settles to a light tan lacing and white powdery looking bubbles.

Smell of strong sour cherry , raisins, oak and vinegar
Taste of a great strong tartness / sour cherry , brown sugar, oak barrels and vinegar. There is a high level of carbonation from champagne yeast I presume, and a thicker than I was expecting mouthfeel. This is great stuff, unfortunately only 12.7 oz which is all too easy to drink. I like being able to get a smaller sized bottle, just can hope it will one day be more readily available.

04-20-2010 23:33:31 | More by alpinebryant
MbpBugeye

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sent by from AleWatcher. Reviewed completely blind.

This one was a C&C 375ml bottle marked "w/GF Drink last. Tulips." Ohh boy!
A- This poured out really nice. Such a pretty color. Deep ruby red that glows and shimmers like a precious stone. There is a small, crackly head with no retention and spotty lace. The second glass, my girlfriend's, had a little sediment that got stirred up from stopping the pour, then starting again. 4.5

S- Stinky cheese and vinegar, this is going to be sour. Its very briny at times with a strong lactic presence. It opens up nicely with black cherry skin or plum skin. Swirling brings out lots of barnyard funk. This is highly lactic and vinegary. I commented about Flanders reds as we were smelling. 4.5

T- The first sip is SHOCKINGLY sour! We both were knocked back from the intense pucker. Its painfully awesome. Strong, under-ripe citrus with vinegar and acidity. Sweet berries with underpinnings of under ripe cherry and crab apple. 4.5

M- Strongly puckering and highly acidic. The finish is very dry. 4.5

D- Woah, this is really nice. Very strong and in your face with its acidity and sourness. 5

I was thinking Russian River or Lost Abbey. Sanctification just came out, could it be that? I think Red Poppy was recently released as well.

The reveal:
Lost Abbey Red Poppy! I was right when I was comparing it to a Flanders red! Really great stuff. I love the classy label. This was a long time want!

03-03-2011 00:40:04 | More by MbpBugeye
yemenmocha

Arizona

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sour delight! Wow this ale pours a murky reddish/amber/brown with enormous head, pillowy soft, very bubbly. Nose is simply enormous, rich, tantalizing, and full of sour cherries & bready/yeasty stuff. Wild sour cherries on the palate, some Belgian estery qualities, and a nice sour finish. Good body too, and drinkable. Wow, love this one except for the price, and fortunately for the Lost Abbey that isn't a review criterion.

08-19-2011 02:15:42 | More by yemenmocha
boralyl

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - 375ml bottle. The beer pours a very dark red with some brown present. It produces a big light reddish-tan head that has excellent retention.

S - The aroma smells great. Vanilla, oak, cherries, light vinegar and some sourness. There is a lot going on in the nose.

M - Light in body with sharp carbonation. It has a very dry finish.

T - Sour cherries up front followed by some oak and vinegar. Sourness takes over the end and seems to cling to the insides of your mouth. After your palate adjusts to the sourness trace amounts of vanilla also appear in the finish.

This is a very good American sour. There is a lot of complexity that makes this a great beer. The only sticking point is the price. I'd rather go for some Russian River Supplication which is several dollars cheaper and slightly better.

08-28-2011 01:29:27 | More by boralyl
lnashsig

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Muled back from my LA trip! This is #BOTG 43! Poured from bottle into 512 Farmhouse glass. Pours a very hazy brown/reddish color. nice fluffy head fills the glass, an offwhite color. Smell- tart cherries, sour cherry pie, a little bit of a salty aroma as well. Layers of cherries and sugar in the aroma. Taste- hot dr pepper! a nice tart and funky blast of cherries, puckering sour at the end. The tight carbonation makes for a dry finish. Some horse blanket funk coils with the tart sweetness from the cherries. There are layers of flavor with this, its wonderful. One of the better Flanders styles I've ever had.

05-25-2012 01:24:02 | More by lnashsig
Treb0R

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Cocoa brown body with hints of red. High carbonation. Cafe ole colored head.

Full of sour black cherries, oak, toasted coconut, very well balanced and complex. Not as sour as one would think before tasting it. Has a bit of funk to it. The aroma is reminiscent of your typical Cali sour ales.

The mouthfeel is on point. Smooth as silk and that high carbonation fizzles away rather quickly after pouring.

I like Supplication a bit more overall, but Red Poppy is a bit more complex.

03-13-2013 23:30:00 | More by Treb0R
Mudpuppet

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Poured from a 375ml bottle. I had this beer with some friends at a restaurant and there is a big difference in appearance depending on where your pour comes from in the bottle. Bright ruby from the top and much more brown and murky from the bottom.

S- I got a lot of sour notes in this beer. I also get cherries and dark breads from the yeasts.

T- I really love this beer. I should say I didn't always like cherries but this beer and a few other lambics changed that. This is an incredible Belgian-style sour. You get many sour notes from the bacteria but not an astringent taste. There are also some sweet malt and cherry flavors that come through also. This beer is a great balance of sweet and sour.

M- A nice level of carbonation in this beer. A bit syrupy but not overly sticky.

D- Keep bringing them on. This is a great beer and it is only 5.5% alcohol so you can drink this all night. If you can find that much of it!

02-20-2008 00:51:12 | More by Mudpuppet
thickerfreakness

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

This pours a nice, ruby red with a cherry tinted beige head that lasts for a while and fades to a film.

Smells first of sour cherries, then vanilla and oak, followed by some musty character. More musty smelling as it warms.

Well it smelled a lot more sour than it tastes and there was more mustiness in the taste as well. Not disappointing just different. A very enjoyable sweet and sour cherry taste up front that melds in with the vanillin and woodiness. Then a long lingering mustiness/bitterness stays on my tongue that is actually quite pleasant. A little more sweet vanilla and mustiness as it warms.

Nice and dry. Easy as hell to drink. I just want to keep taking sips but as its my only bottle I have to conserve it.

This is a really great Oud Bruin. I have only had one better and that was Aardmonnik but I will never get to try that one again haha. This one was just a really enjoyable beer.

06-18-2008 23:27:43 | More by thickerfreakness
DefenCorps

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Received a couple of these from synesthesia and SQNfan after largadeer convinced me that I needed to try this. Thanks guys! Got some good news at work today, so I'm pretty psyched. Chilled and into my Duvel tulip

A: First up, Red Poppy is the most gorgeous bottle of beer I've seen, visually stunning in its simplicity and elegance. The beer itself is not too bad either, mostly a clear deep crimson until a little bit of yeast slips right into the glass. There's a thin tan head that rises briefly and settles into a disk. As I drink this, it leaves a nice amount of foam on the side of my glass

S: The nose is where it's at with this beer. A combination of vinegary sourness along with a fruity (cherry-like) sweetness are most prominent but behind these lie a very appetizing amalgamation of oak, vanilla and a hint of sharp Roquefort-like funk

T: Opens up with quite a good amount sourness that's a mix of vinegary and tart cherries up front. Once the sourness begins to fade,the oak and the vanilla really come out front, very delicate and very tasty. The oak has a rather soft character which makes me think the barrels were only lightly toasted and the vanilla is subtle and sublime. Mildly tannic, this beer finishes dry and tart.

M: Excellent carbonation that prods the palate up front with a great finish

D: This is definitely drinkable, I need a case or two of this.

**Edit 20 March 2012**

I drank my 3 bottles of the '09 fresh, and held onto 1 '08, simply because of how nice the label is. The time is here.

The nose has a very nice and complex blend of acetic and cherry derived aromas, with red wine vinegar, sour cherries and black raspberries. A robust leather and mildly earthy tone is present, rather umami-like. An excellent nose. The palate is a lot more robustly tart with plenty of vinegar, a blend of balsamic and red wine with a cherry skin tannins tempering and complementing the bright sourness. The cherry fruit itself has fallen off here, all that's left is the fruit pits and skin. Robustly leathery and earthy on the mid-palate, with a little vanilla for respite. There is some lactic acid that's also present, cleaning up on the finish.Light in body with supple tannins, moderate carbonation and cleaning lactic acid character. Not particularly funky, I imagine a blend of HotD Michael (at age 1) and Rodenbach vintage would taste similar. Nowhere close to what it was fresh-ish, but better than more recent batches IMO. Still very well-structured. 4.5/4.5/4/4/4

10-16-2008 02:13:30 | More by DefenCorps
PittBeerGirl

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

375 ml bottle poured into my snifter.

A- Body is a very murky light muddy brown color. Pours with an approximately 1 finger white head that pretty much subsides immediately. No lacing is left behind in the glass. Cloudiness is thick and dynamic and whirls about the beer with some white yeast particles visible at the bottom.

S-An acidic tartness is the highlight of the nose and the first to hit it. Below this is a complex balance of sweet molasses, earthy mustiness, oak, and cherries.

T- Much like the nose-a pleasant sour tartness hits the front of the tongue immediately. There is a lot going on here as the cherry and oak become present underneath this and funky yeast comes through as well. The oak and cherries come through a bit more for the finish but a fantastic balance and complexity is still there. What lingers is a faint presence of the whole flavor.

M-Well carbonated and a smooth yeasty, velvety body.

D-This beer is awesome. I love it. Its a bit pricey; but well worth it (if I lived somewhere where it were available). My first of the special Lost Abbey Releases and it makes me want to find and try more of them. Very well done and perfectly drinkable.

05-04-2009 18:22:10 | More by PittBeerGirl
Thehuntmaster

South Africa

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

375ml corked and caged bottle 5,0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
No bottle date, but I would assume it is from the latest vintage.

Thanks to futura123 for hooking me up with this one, it has been on my 'must try' list for years!

Appearance: The cork shot out as soon as the cage is undone, but thankfully the gush was very slow and not a drop was spilled.
The body is a deep, murky brown and displays red edges when held to the light. A gentle pour yields a massive, off white head that sadly fizzes away pretty quickly, leaving only a few small patches of lace.

Smell: Wow, this smells absolutely delicious! The nose almost seems to be a cross between that of a Flanders red and an Oud Bruin. Tart cherries, balsamic vinegar and old oak dominate the nose, with light earthy funk, red wine and a touch of spices also present. As the beer warms the brown ale base becomes apparent with notes of spiced dark fruit and a touch of toasted malt.

Taste: Wow, this is far tarter than I was expecting - it even causes a light puckering sensation! As with the nose, the flavour is made up of notes that I associate with both Red Ales and Oud bruins. Notes include: Tart cherries (although a touch of sweetness is noted on occasion), balsamic vinegar, old oak, a mineral/metallic character (typical of Flanders Red Ales), light funk, underlying spiced dark fruit and brown malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, with a medium-high level of fairly smooth carbonation. Red Poppy is quite a lot tarter than I expected and yields light mouth puckering.

Overall: Flanders Reds are one of my favorite beer styles and Red Poppy is right up there with the best Belgian renditions. I will certainly have to make a point of getting a few more bottles of this!

02-16-2012 10:07:21 | More by Thehuntmaster
suspect

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Central Waters snifter glass. Big thanks to rocporterfanatic for hooking me UP on this one in the This is Me in a Box BIF.

A: Pours a thick mahogany brown color. Less-than-aggressive pour leads to a fizzy 2 finger head that disappears pretty quickly but leaves a nice thin ring around the outside of the top of the brew. Some lacing but not enough to write home about.

S: The full fledged cherry aroma is obviously numero uno when it comes to the nose. However, the subtle breakdown of the oak barrels really shine through. I'm picking up a bunch of other smells too but I can't really identify them. It's undoubtedly the aroma of a sour but the nose isn't overpowering.

T: Bam. Sour cherries wage a full on assault of the palate. Little fizzies lift the sourness off of my tongue and slam it back down again not stopping, no way no how. This is one sour m-effing beer and I love it! Made me pucker immediately and I went back for more as soon as I could. Again the cherries are the most prevalent flavor but the oak really does add many layers of complexity that I can't entirely pinpoint.

M: Sharp, biting finish makes me stretch out my mouth and chomp my teeth down. Plenty of carbonation (which was somewhat of a concern after reading all of the Lost Abbey complaints).

O: Easily the sourest and tastiest of the Flanders Red Ales I've had (although my experience is limited). It has all the makings of a top tier sour. This one is one that not only am I glad I tried but one that will forever be on my wants list. Thanks again RocPorterFanatic...I am eternally grateful for the chance to drink this beer.

09-22-2012 00:58:03 | More by suspect
pfhanlon

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours as a dark amber and mahogany with athick head of tan foam. Decent retention but eventually subsides to a fairly thick ring around the rim. Leaves some spotty lacing.

S - A complex mix of smells including malt and a strong cherry aroma from the bottle. Less fruity in the glass.

T - More malty character on the backend which slides into a slightly sour finish.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied. Slick watery mouthfeel with wonderful carbonation.

O - A well balanced and executed ale.

04-13-2014 18:10:55 | More by pfhanlon
jbdpsu82

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a bubbly deep ruby-brown color with a finger width head. A fruity cherry aroma with a good amount of funk. taste is a beautiful biting tart flavor with a trace of the barrel aging mixed in. A carbonated mouthfeel and this beer rises above many others. Love it.

08-01-2013 02:26:00 | More by jbdpsu82
DeanMoriarty

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 120z bottle into a Chimay branded chalice.

A: Brown/copper - mellow head with small amounts of lacing.

S: Vinegar, cherry and vanilla with a nice strong yeast finish.

T: Sour cherry, somewhat tanic with a crisp woody finish.

M: Dry, light-bodied with nice carbonation.

D: Smooth and light. If I could afford it, i'd drink these all night.

One of the best beers in town at the moment. Worth every penny!

06-05-2010 05:52:05 | More by DeanMoriarty
Kadonny

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 version. Poured from a fresh 375ml bottle into a snifter glass.

A: A dark brownish very clouded color with a slight hint of ruby red. A large almost 2 finger light brown head coats the glass when swirled. Amazing head. Yeast settles at the bottom of the glass.

S: Sour fruit jumps out with vinegar, cherry and wood notes soon overtaken by the very strong aroma of the brett. The barnyard smells on this were amazing. Wet hay, straw, horse blanket and even some (I know this sounds weird) slight manure smell.

T: Tart and sour up front with the dark fruit and cherry flavor. Some slight woody notes coupled with the vinegar and the straw flavor. Yeast and funkiness from the brett lingers and seems to keep pounding the mouth. This beer is amazingly sour. Finish has a touch of sweetness before the tartness takes over. Flavors linger in the mouth. Incredible.

M: Sour, tart, yeasty and well carbonated. Sourness lingers.

O: This is a tremendous beer that you just want to sit and enjoy. The aroma and flavor produce a beer that you will never forget. Legendary.

This is one expensive beer, so savor it. Is it worth the price tag? Each person will have to decide that on their own. I personally think it is worth it in small quantities. This is one to save for that perfect moment in which you want to immerse yourself in a beer. I have another bottle that I'm going to age to see how it changes. Awesome.

03-28-2011 13:55:04 | More by Kadonny
MadScientist

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A dark copper with a garnet hue. The head is tan, somewhat rocky and not long for this world which I blame on the high acidity.

S: Red currents, tart cherries and some leather. A light touch of barnyard funk.

T: Supper tart and fruit with a strong acidic tartness and fruit flavors of red current and tart cherries. The oak barrel comes through next mostly with vanilla but a touch of cinnamon. There is some malt rounding out the mild but the balance here is very tart with a dry finish. Lingering fruit flavors and tartness.

M: medium bodied with a strong carbonation.

O: A sour beer of arrival, one should love tart sours before approaching this one. Tart, fruity, vanilla, tart and oak with a touch of vinegar acidity.

06-17-2013 23:34:04 | More by MadScientist
Overlord

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Had a chance to try a taster of this at the brewery, then chilled/cracked a bottle when I returned home.

Pours a hazy ruddy brown color. Maybe half an inch head. Decent looking beer.

Smells like sour cherries, some sort of plum/fig/raisin background, and some oakiness. Taste is quite tart, with a delicious hint of sour cherry pulp (it's not a strong cherry flavor, which was surprising given the smell and color) layered over some serious wood/oak tones.

There's some malt sweetness in here, and maybe a hint of lighter fruits ... maybe some plums or figs. The overriding flavor, though is a semi-acidic soury base over oak. Delicious, very drinkable. The mouthfeel is a fascinating dry, champagne-esque finish that really makes the flavors in this pop. Perfect carbonation. One of the most enjoyable "mouthfeelable" beers I can recall. I love the dryness.

01-19-2008 23:24:46 | More by Overlord
jeonseh

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into a GI Reserve goblet. Thanks to MiScusi for giving me the chance to try this one.

A - Could see a ton of carbonation trailing up in this one. Reminded me a lot of champagne as you could just see the carbonation floating up the whole time. Because of this, there was a constant stream of bubbles trailing up in it. Color of cherry wood with hues of gold and orange. It is a bit cloudy in the appearance as well. Didn't get much of a head on this in the goblet glass but there was a ton of carbonation on the side as well. Actually a very nice looking beer. As a note, I poured the rest of this into a flute and really still has no head or lacing at all.

S - Smell is of tart cherry that just wafts up. Also get a hint of sugary sweetness as well that cuts through the tart flavors. Also get a bit of an earthy and musty note that reminds me a bit of that distinctive Orval bretty smell.

T - Upfront the flavor is pure, tart cherry that just comes up. If this was the only flavor in the beer, it would not be that great but of course those masterminds at LA, had to just keep this packed with complexity. Later, I can just taste the funk that brings out the earthy, barny and, I always think, blue cheese like flavor. It is one of those things that is almost so nasty that it is good. At the end, get a slight hint of oak as well that just sneaks up. Really, I would not be surprised if someone told me this was just Orval's new beer brewed with cherries. The aftertaste just keep lingering around and leaves the Brett flavors hanging around. Also finishes a bit dry.

MF -like a fine champagne, it manages to have a ton of carbonation, yet it feels so velvety on the tongue. It has a great body for this type of beer which I feel should be a bit on the thinner side.

D - Overall, this is a great beer that I could see drinking with some cheese and crackers as an apetif. It is a really easy drinking beer and one that just calls you back. It has such a unique flavor that I want a chance to experience more and more of it. Each sip is different and I can't wait to open up that other bottle I received from my trade. Wished I lived somewhere close that kept this stocked as I would easily drink this a lot more esp in situations where I have champagne but the celebration does not necessarily call for champagne.

05-04-2008 23:46:31 | More by jeonseh
Crosling

Colorado

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Light bronze in color with a full, silky head of foam. Nose is nearly perfect, with hints of sour cherries, Pinot Noir, oak & funk. Flavor is outstanding, perfectly balanced and complex. Hints of lightly toasted oak, vanilla, sour cherries and Pinot Noir. Really stunningly good.

06-09-2008 00:53:09 | More by Crosling
emerge077

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

2009 bottle: Thanks to Jason for this one...
Explosive cherry tartness, fruity, leathery, earthy. Plenty of oak on the back end that lends it balance and traditional flavors. Black cherry through and through. A mild balsamic vinegar note blends into the funky barrel aroma, a mixture of wet stone an sea foam fade in curious directions...spicy oak reminds me of Enigma. Mild tartness, nothing off the charts. Awesome stuff!

2008 bottle, 01-04-2009

Served at 50º into a Duchesse de Bourgogne glass.

Deep scarlet body in the light, thin layer of dirty foam that leaves a substantial ring at the edge. A skim returns with a swirl of the glass. Tiny trails of bubbles feed into the foam ring. Aroma is nice and funky, farmhouse cheese, lactic with some vanilla traces. Damp forest floor with wood, earth, wet leaves and wild mushrooms. Flavors of bitter and tangy cherry pits, leather, soil, with a dominant horseblanket brett taste as it warms. Dry and oaky finish. Medium body that is right on, and the brett character makes you slow down and sip.

Huge thanks to TheBlackMallard for this one!

02-17-2009 02:08:11 | More by emerge077
Rochefort10nh

New Hampshire

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

A great thank you goes out to jtrockchalk who included this want as an extra in a recent trade!

This one is russet-brown with very little head after a vigorous pour. It smells of a high quality balsalmic vinegar; wood; sour, tart monticello cherries with a background note of warm caramel. This is very nice!

The taste mirrors the smell with a very slight lactic tang and citrus zest presence. I am digging this! Not quite as sour as say Rodenbach Grand Cru or cirrca 2005 Panil Barriquée, but not nearly as sweet as Rodenbach Alexander or the Duchesse.

Mouthfeel is right for the style - vinous and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability is excellent as I was through the bottle way to quickly for my liking.

If it weren't so difficult to obtain, I could see myself making this a staple.

09-24-2009 21:03:19 | More by Rochefort10nh
Mages64

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks to craytonic for this bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Dark red and brown with only a little head. No sure if pics are allowed but here it is seconds after pouring: http://twitpic.com/379up8

S: dates, prunes, grapes, cherries, cranberries, raspberries(one of those) and oak. Also sweet tarts. I feel like you can tell it is about to be a little sour.

T: Dr. Pepper with sourness and Oak and vanilla in the background. Sour but not too much. Finish is sweeter and woodier. cherries.

M: Delightfully carbonated(must have been fresh;) and sticky. Hits the back of your throat hard but leaves quickly and the only remains are on your tongue and lips.

D: It's an amazing beer but I'm not the right person to ask if I would drink it all night. Special occassion beer perhaps? MUST go well w/ chocolate!

Beer it Forward.

11-16-2010 04:44:55 | More by Mages64
VelvetExtract

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Uncorking the bottle unleashes a loud pop. A foamy, murky-red head explodes with lively bubbles then quickly begins to pop away. A thinnish head floats atop the liquid leaving long drags of lace. The brew is exceptionally murky and red/brown in color.

S-Beautifully sour and funky aroma flows from both the bottle and my glass. The instant this was opened, the smell encompassed the area around me. Cherries, and oakiness. Great funky smell. A bit similar to wine too.

T-Quite sour! The funkiness in the nose is perfectly matched on the palate. Delicious fresh cherry taste is powerful and tasty. The cherry flavor is juicy and rich. Oaky and malty as well. Quite unique, quite complex, quite delicious.

M-Light relatively modest carbonation. The brew is smooth as is washes around the mouth. I enjoy how light the beer is.

O/D- Why oh why is this bottle so small and super expensive!? I wish I had much more of this. One tiny bottle kills the wallet but boy am I happy to have tried this one. The flavors in this beer are great. The lightness of the body keeps your tongue screaming for more. Try it if you have some extra cash hanging around.

03-20-2011 18:59:39 | More by VelvetExtract