Red Poppy Ale - The Lost Abbey

Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 09-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Poppy Ale Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Light bronze in color with a full, silky head of foam. Nose is nearly perfect, with hints of sour cherries, Pinot Noir, oak & funk. Flavor is outstanding, perfectly balanced and complex. Hints of lightly toasted oak, vanilla, sour cherries and Pinot Noir. Really stunningly good.

Crosling, Jun 09, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

2010 vintage - new style 375ml bottle: 4.5/4/4/4.5/4

Pours a deep brown color with red highlights and two fingers of bubbly khaki head on top. Aromas of dense oak and wood meet a bright sour cherry. Tart, earthy accents run throughout along with a touch of spice. Nice!

First sip brings crispness and dry oak flavors upfront. Tannic with a solid kick of tart cherry. Spice and earthy funk but the wood has really seeped in this year. Flows down dry and puckering with lingering cherry accents.

Crisp with solid carbonation. A good sipper and a tasty treat to savor. Oak seems more forward this year but overall it's still a tasty treat.

2008 vintage:

Pours into my glass a deep burgundy red with a creamy half inch of light tan head sitting atop the brew. Plenty of active carbonation too. Aromas jump out with bold tart cherries upfront. Nice tannic woody, oak aromas meld in alongside some funky, cheesy brett characteristics. A subtle malty, caramel sweetness lurks underneath. Really enticing.

First sip brings a nice crisp malt with a hint of caramel upfront that is immediately met by a rush of vibrant tart cherry flavors. It almost has a syrupy quality to it as it moves into woody, oak barrel flavors. I get a sweetness upfront that melds into a sourness on the way down. Funky, sort of cheesy brett flavors mix in as the brew finishes with lingering cherry afterthoughts. Yum.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a smooth effervescence of tight bubbly carbonation as it flows down. It's quite refreshing with a nice interplay between the sweet and sour. A bottle of this to myself is truly a treat and I only wish I had more. A tasty treat of a beer from Lost Abbey.

orbitalr0x, May 30, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to ALECOHOLIC for this.

Pours murky amber with a small tan head that fades pretty quickly.

Smell: Tart Cherries, Apple Skin, Oak, Vinegar, Lactic Acid Sourness.

Taste: Sour Cherries, Lemon, Oak, Leather, Very Dry and Tart there is a bit of Fruity sweetness in there too. Medium Carbonation and Body. Very Refreshing.

TheBlackMallard, May 26, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

a: This was a slightly cloudy yellowish amber color. It pours with a long lasting, creamy white head that leaves some lace in it's wake.

s: This smell is unique to me and difficult to decipher, let alone describe. There are fruit aromas of cherries and grapes. Musty damp grains blunt the fruit somewhat. In addition, I smell the sweet powder that they put on sour candies. There is something else sour here that I don't have a word for.

t: This is my first sample of this style, so you should ignore this review. Mildly prickly sour flavors permeate throughout. The cherry flavors are, of course, sour, yet somewhat sugary at the same time. There are some grape flavors and a powerful sour grain finish. Overall, this is nice and funky, just not as confrontational as some.

m: This has a very thick body, bordering on syrupy. The carboantion is lush, long lasting, and gentle.

d: Huge thanks to barleywinebrewer for the chance to try this rarity. These are well worth seeking out. I look forward to trying more of this style.

DIM, May 20, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

375ml. cork-finished brown bottle with a single wrap around label.

This was the first brew released for the Patron Sinners club, and a tasty one at that.

Poured into a tulip, a medium-dark hazelnut brown with a small beige head with some lavender tint to it. The head remains small...the visible carbonation is near perfect.

Sweet malt and cherries upfront with a tart, yeasty brett following right behind. Smells really yummy.

Initially goes in sweet with notes of cherries and syrupy malt, then quickly becomes tart and pleasantly sour to the finish. A nice earthy malt pulls through in the linqering aftertaste.

Mild ABV, medium body and just the right carbonation for this ale are really making me wish I had another, on this hot, sunny San Diego day.

This ale paired nicely with some spicy, cheesy pan fried potatoes that my girlfriend made.

scottoale, May 19, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Big thanks to oakbluff for hooking me up with this rare brew!

Pours a cloudy chunky orange/red, kind of like grapefruit juice, thick white head, some solid lace spots, settles to a nice layer and thick ring. Smell is sour and tart, very acidic, cherries, bread, lots of fruit, quite intense, oak, nice. Taste is similar, very oaky, some caramel, vanilla, cherries, tart fruit, acidic, lemons, vanilla, acidic fruit in the finish, very nice. Mouthfeel is light bodied with low carbonation, very smooth and easy to drink. Fantastic sour beer, no rough edges, very nice. Thanks Scott!

Viggo, May 10, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Viggo was nice enough to share this one. thanks eric!

375ml bottle, corked and caged. sampled may 9/08.

pours hazy brownish-red with a big dense off-white head. the head drops slowly and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is great. malt vinegar. lemon. brown sugar. grapefruit. orange peel. bread and crackers. bit of alcohol. lots of funk and sourness. some horse blanket and barnyard. hint of spice.

taste is great. lemon and malt vinegar up front, then a nice bread and cracker malt and a nice light spice in the finish. a little less depth in the citrus than i got in the aroma, but nice. mostly lemon with a bit of orange peel. touch of yeast. leather. horse blanket. sour cherry coming out as it warms. vanilla. i like the nice spiced-cake character too. medium-low bitterness level.

mouthfeel is good. medium well integrated carbonation. fairly light body.

drinkability is great. great depth to the funk and sourness. nice malt profile hiding in behind. balanced and highly enjoyable.

grub, May 10, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into a GI Reserve goblet. Thanks to MiScusi for giving me the chance to try this one.

A - Could see a ton of carbonation trailing up in this one. Reminded me a lot of champagne as you could just see the carbonation floating up the whole time. Because of this, there was a constant stream of bubbles trailing up in it. Color of cherry wood with hues of gold and orange. It is a bit cloudy in the appearance as well. Didn't get much of a head on this in the goblet glass but there was a ton of carbonation on the side as well. Actually a very nice looking beer. As a note, I poured the rest of this into a flute and really still has no head or lacing at all.

S - Smell is of tart cherry that just wafts up. Also get a hint of sugary sweetness as well that cuts through the tart flavors. Also get a bit of an earthy and musty note that reminds me a bit of that distinctive Orval bretty smell.

T - Upfront the flavor is pure, tart cherry that just comes up. If this was the only flavor in the beer, it would not be that great but of course those masterminds at LA, had to just keep this packed with complexity. Later, I can just taste the funk that brings out the earthy, barny and, I always think, blue cheese like flavor. It is one of those things that is almost so nasty that it is good. At the end, get a slight hint of oak as well that just sneaks up. Really, I would not be surprised if someone told me this was just Orval's new beer brewed with cherries. The aftertaste just keep lingering around and leaves the Brett flavors hanging around. Also finishes a bit dry.

MF -like a fine champagne, it manages to have a ton of carbonation, yet it feels so velvety on the tongue. It has a great body for this type of beer which I feel should be a bit on the thinner side.

D - Overall, this is a great beer that I could see drinking with some cheese and crackers as an apetif. It is a really easy drinking beer and one that just calls you back. It has such a unique flavor that I want a chance to experience more and more of it. Each sip is different and I can't wait to open up that other bottle I received from my trade. Wished I lived somewhere close that kept this stocked as I would easily drink this a lot more esp in situations where I have champagne but the celebration does not necessarily call for champagne.

jeonseh, May 04, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Received this brew from metallitone1 in a recent trade. This is my first brew from The Lost Abbey side of things and I look forward to this one. By far the best looking bottle I've ever had the pleasure of sampling a beer from. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- On first pour it's a crystal clear pink with nice foamy bright white head. Once you empty the bottom of the bottle it turns to a dark brownish red with the same perfectly white head. Leaves a nice cap and collar with plenty of chunky lacing.
Smell- Very tart with a light sour cherry start. Full of lactic goodness with small amounts of oak that lend a subtle vanilla. This thing sort of reminds me of a Brett filled red wine (if there is such a thing). Sharp, fruity and funky this is one inviting scent.
Taste- The sour cherries are the first thing that hits me on my first sip. Very tart and lactic it starts big and brash. Not as vinegary as other beers of this type but the sourness of the cherries makes up for the lack of yeastly pucker. The original punch quickly fades leaving a soft resounding vanilla woodiness. The oak coats the back of my throat leaving a sweet woody residual finish.
Mouthfeel- Considering the beer the mouthfeel is fairly solid and sturdy with sharp/crisp carbonation and a dry finish.
Drinkability- This is a really great beer that I wish I could drink anytime I'm in the mood for the style. It's ridiculously drinkable and freakishly tasty. I'm not sure how this stands up to some other Lost Abbey brews but if they've done any style as tasty as they've made this one, I'll be really pleasantly surprised. Big thanks to Tim for the opportunity!

younger35, Apr 29, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to hopdog for breaking this open. We didn't have a bottle of Le Woody Brune to open for a side by side but it was a dead ringer for one of my favorites from Port Brewing.
Appears a hazy dark brown with a small, off-white head that quickly fades into a mild cap and collar. Spotty lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of oak tannins, cherries, light brett, brown sugar, with a malty, biscuity aroma jumping out.
Taste echoes the aromas with the woody, slightly acetic flavors coming together.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, sugary sweet, candy on the front of the tongue with vinegar acidic notes in the middle, and a semi-dry finish.

weeare138, Apr 29, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Dark burnished orange amber with a nice small head of off-white foam that lasts for a short while lending some decent Belgian lace and nice leggings. Aromas of sour cherries with nice light biscuity bread, brett funk, and more. The aroma is also very wild with a great funky barnyard notes that are well integrated with the bready yeast and lend a definitive edge to this one. This is certainly easier drinking and more well integrated and balanced than beers such as the duchess and her brothers. Taste is sour cherry, funk, hay, and barnyard with a nice small biscuity malt presence and no real hops to speak of. Mouthfeel is sharp and acidic up front but super smooth and well done as well. Drinkability is like liquid crack for a red sour such as this. This stuff is pretty fucking fantastic. One of the best lost abbey beers that I have said and that is saying a whole hell of a lot!

francisweizen, Apr 24, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Received this beer in a trade with m1ked

A - Poured a reddish brown. Poured into two seperate glasses for my wife and I. The glass with the yeast was a totally different color.

S - smells of cherries and esters

T&M - pretty outstanding, I've had quit a few wild ales from Jolly Pumpkin Brewery. This beer is not as sour as those beers, but I think that compared to 90% of those beers this one is easier to drink. Tastes of sour cherries, very smooth on the mouth. Could sip it all night or slug it down in one gulp, Delicious!!

HopHobo, Apr 19, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to IntriqKen for the bottle! Oh yea and the g/f says thanks too!

A: Pours a deep reddish brown color with a quickly receding head. When held to the light the color is a beautiful amber/red. Very good looking beer.

S: Smells of funky tart cherries with a slight vinegar smell. I didn't get the oak smell at first but as it warks the oak becomes subtle but apparent.

T/M: Very tart and sour up front with intense cherries and a little sweet malt coming next. Quite funky with some spiciness and a little brown sugar from the malts. Low abv reveals no alcohol taste and the high carbonation makes you think that you are drinking a champagne mixed with a very fruity Melboc or Pinot Noir, finishes fairly dry.

D: Definitely a very refreshing beer. At first I thought it wasn't so easily drinkable due to the tartness but as it warms and the more complex flavors come through the tartness becomes less and less noticable. Great beer overall and defintitely something worth trying. My first L.A. beer and defintely a good impression is made.

dsigmon, Apr 13, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours with a frothy, initially one-finger thick, tan colored head. The beer is a very dark, concentrated cherry color, but shows an almost brilliantly clear, ruby-red color when held up to the light. The aroma is sour and funky; aromas of over-ripe cheese, lactic acid notes, a touch of an acetic edge and funky / woody mushroom notes. Underneath this initial funk is a noticeable fruit character that provides characteristic cherry aromas, but also a touch of cranberry and some sour plum. The aroma is on the sharp side as it seems just a touch too funky, if that makes sense; at first it seems that the beer is a little too wild even compared to a Lambic, though actually now that I think of it, a lot of this sharp character is a mix of the funkiness and a substantial oak character. The oak contributes bourbon-like spiciness, buttery-oak aromatics and a touch of vanillin, each of which seem to clash a bit with the up front funk.

Tart tasting, predominantly lactic, though there does seem to be a tart cherry contribution too. The carbonation, while not wildly effervescent, provides enough zip to tickle the tongue as the beer runs down my throat. The oak flavors are soft at first, but pick up steam as I take a few more sips; spicy wood and ample buttery oak pick up steam in the middle and into the finish were a touch of vanillin is also noticed. Tannins & fruit contribute to a cherry skin flavor and texture up front as well as some bright, cherry flesh notes. The cherries definitely add to the complexity of this brew, yet I wouldn't say this as a fruit beer necessarily; this beer doesn't scream cherry, instead the fruit is really well integrated with the other flavor components. This is quite light and quaffable, the wood / tannis provides some texture to keep this from being anything near thin; the texture may in fact be tone of the best things about this beer.

While the oak is never overwhelming here, it does seem to get in the way of the funky-fermentation notes and the base, beer-ingredient driven flavors & complexities; I think about a quarter of the oak character would be perfect for this beer, keeping it nice and subtle and in more of a supporting role. The buttery oak notes really seem to dominate the aroma of this brew after a bit, though I wouldn't say that it get over-whelming, it just does overwhelm all the other aromatic components. Not bad, even quite good, but the dominant oak keeps it from being incredible for me, though I must admit that I love seeing all this flavor packed into a beer of only 5%abv.

Gueuzedude, Mar 22, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Big thanks to Georgiabeer for this bottle.

a - pours a reddish brown color, first pour is pretty clear, but the bottom has quite a bit of sediment, large ivory head with great retention and lacing

s - lots of tart and funkiness in the aroma, some vinegar and tart cherries, good amount of oak and notes of spice and cinnamon, beautiful aroma

t - intense tartness and sourness up front, sweetness of the malt and cherries fill out the body, finish has a little lingering funkiness but quite a bit of oak, brown sugar, honey, some cinnamon, the woodiness lingers for quire awhile, no alcohol evident

m - good amount of carbonation, medium-bodied, tartness on the finish is drying

d - the tartness definitely limits the drinkability here, after awhile, I'm sure it would wear out the palate, that said, I would love to have a few bottles of this to enjoy

Awesome beer overall. I wish I had several more bottles to enjoy, but alas, this is a rare one. The funkiness is not as in your face as many lambics and gueuzes, but there is a lot of complexity. Well worth seeking a bottle out if you can.

WeisGuy, Mar 21, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a snifter, and enjoyed it with a poached pear and apple cider and clove reduction food pairing. I waited in line for two hours to get it at the brewery in January.
A: Beuatiful ruby red. I'm sharing it with two others and I poured all the yeast into mine! No! Mine's cloudy and the others without the yeast are prettier. It has a thin lace, I would like more head.
S: Sourness, cinnamon, molasses
T: Paired well with the pears. Sourness with definite woody background. Definite cherry aftertaste. I'd like more fruit and less sourness please.
M: Very dry and bubbly
D: I'd like one more glass. I'm not feeling it at all. I wish I'd shared the bottle with only one other person! It's a small bottle for the price.

dfillius, Mar 11, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +11%

Beautiful bottle, definitely really classy. I love the image of the poppy on black with the heavy glass, and I love the name. I guess Poppies will always be associated with Flanders after the "Flanders Field" association. Pours a murky reddish/orange brown with a slight head, but what head there is surprisingly sticks around as a swirl of light foam for a very long time. Smells quite acetic, with some red fruit, a bit of leather, and a touch of funk right at the end. Taste is marvelous, and quite complex. Starts sour with a bit of spiciness and more red fruit and plum. It becomes more minerally, funkier, and woodier. The finish is both spicy and funky with flavors of aged, runny cheese. The fruity sourness persists throughout. Delicious and very balanced. The oak contributes some funkiness, and some light tannins, but there is no flavor of new oak or vanilla. The mouthfeel is pure and acetic, but benefits from the light tannins lending some structure. A complex beer, as complex as much stronger beers. Tremendously drinkable and ebjoyable.

Georgiabeer, Mar 04, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Many thanks and much respect to IntriqKen for this one. Have to say I also love the labeling/packaging. Definitely the sexiest and sleekest I have seen in quite some time, if not ever.

Pours a fogged brown with basically no creme head. Nose is very antiseptic and funky and exactly what I would expect. Really, I could not expect more for the fragrance aspect. Flavor is definitely interesting. Total funky coming on the flavor. Again, this just seems like exactly what you would expect for the style. However. The fruit aspect of it is very shallow. I kind of would have liked to have just a touch more. Regardless, we are still bringing the funk here. Feel has a good liquid and carbonation to it. This is very easy to drink for a sour beer. Perhaps I am more used to it with my vastly experienced palate. Either way, this is an exemplary version of the style. Definitely worth seeking out.

RblWthACoz, Mar 03, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

12.7 oz bottle corked and caged, 07 vintage released in January 2008

I figured today being leap day was a day for me to take a big leap and break out a beer i have been scared to try since the only sour beer to date i have ever had was a drain pour.

A: Poured a fairly clear amber color with a rose hue. the head was just slightly off white and not too big, but it did settle into a thick ring and skimmed the top of the beer, laced very nice all the way down. Very nice looking beer.

S: Tart candy smell, oak, cherry, and some maltiness in the faint background.

T: Sour, or maybe tart is a better term. On my lips initially i tasted sour candy. Mid palate i could taste the maltiness of the brown ale with some slight nuttines to it, and the oak and slight vanilla flavors came out, and then at the back of the palate i was hit with sour cherries that gave me that sort of lock-jaw type feeling until after i swallowed. after the swallow the malty brown ale flavors stuck around and the oak flavor lingered as well. The oak was not as overpowering as i had expected, and for that i am glad, this beer has enough going on and yet still seems to be nicely balanced.

M/D: For what it is, a sour ale, it was very easy to drink. There was enough carbonation that it didnt seem syurp-y and the cherries did not taste at all medicinal like some cherry beers are. This is the first sour beer that i can say has not been a drain pour for me, so i am rating it as such with high marks. I have a couple more bottles, and i am not sure how fast they will fly out of the cellar, but someday i am sure i will get brave again :)

tayner, Feb 29, 2008
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, reddish-brown body with a small, short-lived white head.

Smell: Bright, funky aroma of wine-macerated cherries and planks of toasted oak.

Taste: Whoa! Tart, juicy, lightly acidic cherry flavor at the forefront with hints of the sweet brown maltiness used as this fine beer's foundation. Distinct, well-placed tastes of oaky wood. True, it's funky, but contented to reside on the lighter end of the funk spectrum. Drying, lightly minerally finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium, soft carbonation.

Drinkability: A very well executed sour ale, and what a top-notch, classy bottle.

ChainGangGuy, Feb 25, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -10%

From the website: Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent. Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart. The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.

Red Poppy Ale pours up effervescent with streaming bubbles that create a thin whitish head that dissipates rather quickly revealing a slightly hazy reddish copper-cordovan body. The moderately acidic, grainy aroma isn't overly complex but has a nice intermingling of floral-herbal (cherry blossoms, hibiscus, lemongrass), fruitiness (cherry pits, citrus peel, grapeskin-green plum), and funky wildness (earthy barnyard, haylike, horse blanket, etc...) with some mild toasted oak & warm vanilla wafer notes. The flavor starts off rather grainy (biscuity) with a mild fruitiness (cherry turnover, lemon rind, peach pit) and spicy hop bitterness that carries into an acidic, dry-tannic, and slightly yeasty finish. This medium-light bodied fruited American Wild Ale is very enjoyably, but lacks depth & complexity when compared to its Flanders cousins. For those that are Patron Sinners, I'd recommend enjoying a bottle now & cellaring the other one. Here's to The Lost Abbey and the Crusade.

CHEERS! Beertracker

*Taster's Note: Special thanks to beerhandy for sharing this bottle.

Beertracker, Feb 24, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Part 1 of the Lost Abbey Sinner's Club

Appearance: Pours a dark, hazy maroon, bordering on brown into my Duvel tulip. The beer is topped by a small fizzy head the fades quickly. Minimal lacing on the glass.

Smell: Love the Brett funkiness right of the bat. Sweaty horse blanket and sour cherry fruitiness. As it warms a touch of caramel comes through.

Taste: Starts with tart sour cherries dominating then giving way to the ever present Brett funkiness. Slightly oaky as it warms with a touch of cider vinegar and caramel sweetness. A very mild hop bitterness makes an appearance near the finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, dry and refreshing. Thin and light in the mouth makes for easy drinking.

Drinkability/Notes: Another great beer from Lost Abbey. Lots going on here with tart, sour cherries, an underlying fruity sweetness and brett funkiness all aged in oak barrels. Extremely refreshing as its light, crisp and dry with a modest 5% abv. I could drink these all night and not get bored or sick of it. Highly drinkable. Absolutely seek this beer out. Highly recommended.

SwillBilly, Feb 22, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

A-About a 3/4" light tan head on a brown amber body. Yeast is stuck on the bottom of the cork even after it had been siting for about 2 weeks.
S- Big tart cherries right in the nose, oak, big sour notes, citrus hints, funk, lemon, and some vinegar.
T- Sweet light tart cherries with just a hint of sour note. Oak, caramel malts, light hints of lemon, the sour seems to fade fast but stays on the tongue almost as a light sour bitterness thing. Little funk comes through and in the after taste is light cherries and oak. I think the oak dominates the little aftertaste there is. The more it warms the aftertaste stays around a bit stronger.
M- Medium body with medium carbonation.
D- It's good but wouldn't say it's one of my favorites from them. Is great for the style though.

BlindPig, Feb 22, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +7%

A- Poured from a 375ml bottle. I had this beer with some friends at a restaurant and there is a big difference in appearance depending on where your pour comes from in the bottle. Bright ruby from the top and much more brown and murky from the bottom.

S- I got a lot of sour notes in this beer. I also get cherries and dark breads from the yeasts.

T- I really love this beer. I should say I didn't always like cherries but this beer and a few other lambics changed that. This is an incredible Belgian-style sour. You get many sour notes from the bacteria but not an astringent taste. There are also some sweet malt and cherry flavors that come through also. This beer is a great balance of sweet and sour.

M- A nice level of carbonation in this beer. A bit syrupy but not overly sticky.

D- Keep bringing them on. This is a great beer and it is only 5.5% alcohol so you can drink this all night. If you can find that much of it!

Mudpuppet, Feb 20, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

375 ml bottle acquired in a trade from a great BA named seaoflament, could not make it to the release and he picked me up one, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try this highly sought after Flanders brew

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter, sipped on it for about an hour and a half to really see what changes take place as it warms, review #550, this was my second choice for Valentine's Day but Sexual Chocolate one because of its cool name

A-Root beer color, nice red tint when held next to the light, 3/4 inch off white bubbly head, large amounts of aggressive tiny bubbles, decent retention, nice lacing which is odd for this style of beer

S-Loads of cherries, sour aromas, hint of spice, vanilla, oak, hay, funkiness, orange peel, lemon juice, vinegar, cola, sweet scents as it warmed a little bit more, nice tangy accents all the way through, some sour grapes and a tad of vinegar, oak comes to the surface after the glass sits in my hands for a few minutes, also some vanilla, fair share of bready malt causing a nice chewiness to cancel out some of the sourness, more cherries, nice long aftertaste, beer tasted extremely fresh

T-Tart sour cherries hit the back of the tongue immediately, in the middle there is some sweet fruity flavors, then the finish is slightly dry with more of a puckering cherry taste,

M-Tarty and crisp mouthfeel, light body, slightly puckering towards the beginning, taste lingered a long time even after a small sip, nice level of carbonation

D-Could drink this stuff all day, super light on the stomach and very flavorful, only five percent alcohol, goes down very easily, would go excellent with alongside a meal as well

Lost Abbey brews yet another fantastic beer, pretty sure this replaced Le Woody or is essentially the same beer, wish I had more of this stuff, probably will not change much with any age without brettanomyces, hopefully they brew more of this next year, best Flanders I have had, nice looking bottle with the new labels, worth all the hype, definitely would drink again and highly recommended to everybody

Floydster, Feb 16, 2008