Red Poppy Ale - The Lost Abbey

Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 09-07-2007

Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent.

Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart.

The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.
Reviews: 556 | Hads: 1,817
3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

Included in the epic tasting on 6.13 but I have had this before a couple times. Review includes multiple vintages.

Hazy, Ruby color with a faded cherry colored head. It's incredible how much this beer fades with time. First time I had this beer it was the night before EBF 09 (it was about a year old, 08 batch) and it didn't seem to be the beer that it should. Although it was still solid, the aroma was a shadow of its former self. I didn't realize until I traded for an 09 bottle and had it fresh out the gate. Worlds apart- flavor between a fresh bottle and a year aged one were much more similar than the aromas were (if that makes sense).

When this beer is fresh, it has a wonderful cherry flavor, nice level of acidity and sourness that compliments the fruit notes. Carbonation is appropriate (spritzer-like at times), and with a low ABV, red poppy is pleasantly drinkable. I look forward to trying future batches. (924 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Cherries, cherries, cherries... What more to say??? Quite a bit, actually!

Got this bottle in a mixed batch from my good friend Kenan out in San Marcos -- I was SOO happy to see it; this is a Flanders I haven't had the chance to try yet.

The appearance is cloudy, reddish brown in the bottle -- I can barely see through the bottle, not because it's thick, but because it's so darn hazy. Pours about the same; very hazy, with no noticeable head. Very little carbonation (and very little pop when I uncorked it), but many tiny, tightly clustered bubbles visible lacing sides & top of glass.

Smell is very vinegary, almost as if the cherries were a bit over-fermented. Pleasant smell, nonetheless, with a fair amount of sweetness behind the vinegar. No hop smell apparent -- they may not have used any at all. For that matter, next to no malty smell either -- the sweetness I do smell is more a fruity sweet, and not at all deep or heavy.

Taste is amazing -- like a sour candy, but with a beery aftertaste. It hits my mouth like a sledgehammer, and there is so much sourness up front that me and the two others I was tasting with visibly puckered up. After that inital shock, the taste mellows out some (or maybe my taste buds just gave up), and it becomes a sweet, light taste, almost like a lambic. I'm wondering now just how much cherry is in there -- a bushel, or just a jar. My friend Tim commented "You could put that on your fish & chips", and I agree -- the sweetness & vinegar come through strong.

Although the Red Poppy is definitely sour to the last drop, it is at the same time very drinkable. While drinking this all night might make me slightly stoopid, I would definitely enjoy it! It's certainly a sipper though -- 1 12.5oz bottle took the 3 of us a full 20 minutes to finish off, at which point we all started wondering where we could find more. (1,864 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks again scray24.

The lackluster pop and virtually no head was not a good sign for the carbonation.

The aroma was of cherry with a slight vinegar hint.

The taste was very nice of cherry, oak (a little too much) and sour funk. I found it a little too dry, I think if it was a tad sweeter and morre carbonated this beer would have been a grand slam.

Very drinkable except for the flatness. (395 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -11.8%

I got this via tayner (not to step on toes, but probably my favorite BA). It was the 2009 vintage in the 12.7 oz. bottle.

Going into this tasting, I didn't know that it was a Flanders Oud Bruin, and after drinking it, I still might argue that fact.

Poured into an oversized wine glass at a temperature slightly above 45 degrees. It poured with not much head, mainly just large bubbles slowly disipating. The lack of head puzzled me, because there were a large amount of bubbles racing towards the top of the glass. the body was a reddish orange, almost brown. Lots of floaters in this glass.

The smell was super tart. Lots of cherries presented themselves at first, but let in some leather, green apples, and vanilla in as it warmed. There wasn't a prominent vinegar smell that one would associate with the style here. Some floral and spicy notes came into the picture as well.

A mouthpuckering sourness once it hits your lips. Cherries and apples up front, with a slight dose of balsamic vinegar near the finish. The oak only began to shoe itself as it warmed. Missing the complexities that I like in these kind of brews.

Despite what seemed like a lack of carbonation, the mouthfeel was actually pretty good. I think the sourness was able hold up what little carbonation was in the glass.

Once this brew warmed up a bit, it became super drinkable. Probably one of the smoothest of the sour styles I have had to date.

I think this brew could probably age extremely well. It needs some time to let the funkiness set in and give it more of a complex taste. It's only downfall in my mind was the taste, but like I said, time might cure that. (1,646 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -3.6%

Big thanks to SuzyGreenberg for this bottle.

Pours a very murky reddish brown color. Slightly undercarbonated despite a vigorous pour, but the small head that is there for a couple moments is stark white, but soon reduces to a ring around the glass.

Nose is chock full of flemish goodness. Lots of vinegary sourness and some slight cherry flavor.

Taste follows. A well made flemish for sure. Taste starts off with a nice little sweetness, but quickly profresses into that classic vinegary tartness of flemish brews. A decent amount of funk, and some cherry sweetness does peek its head out. Finish is the ideal amount of tartness for the style. Aftertaste is lingering tartness and slight cherry kick.

Mouthfeel is just about right where it should be. Aside from slight but definitely noticeable undercarbonation, not much to dock here.

Drinkability is quite solid for the style. abv is right where it should be and feels just fine. The carbonation does make it a tiny bit akward though.

Overall this is definitely one of the best examples of the style that is brewed inside US borders. Not alot of solid oud bruins being made on our soil, but this is one of them. If the carbonation could be modified slightly this beer would be that much better. This is no cuvee de tomme, but it is a great example of the style and a well crafted beer. (1,345 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

2009 vintage

Appearance: Very little head; deep, dark ruby-cherry-mahogany

Smell: Sour, hint of vinegar, dominating oak, and a bit of tart cherry. brown sugar, and good balsalmic vinegar. Not a bit of sweetness.

Taste: The oak is a little overbearing, it keeps most of the cherry and any funk from peeping out. This beer is also incredibly dry, I don't think there is a grain of sugar left. A few other flavors - brown sugar, balsalmic vinegar, cranberry, sour plum, vanilla, and a bit of dates. I wouldn't mind a bit more cherry.

Mouthfeel: A tad flat, even for the style. Could have used just a little more carbonation, would have greatly helped the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Would be much better with at least some carbonation; but I appreciate seeing so much flavor in a 5% ABV beer. (791 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -6.6%

From Notes: 3/31/09
The Lost Abbey
Red Poppy 2009
Flanders Oud Bruin
5% Abv.
12.7oz. Bottle caged and corked into Allagash Snifter

Appearance= Zero carbonation (out of a Lost Abbey beer, what a shock). Zero Head. A thin white rim around the beer, if you call that head. I would say the head that this beer delivers is almost weaker than what my first girlfriend gave. Blackish beer with red hues. Opaque body 4 sho.

Smell= Smells like red wine. Cherries, a little funk to it. I like it, it's different.

Taste= Sour! Cherries, red fruits. I enjoy the sourness/tartness. It is a beer/red wine hybrid. The taste mellows out as I continue to drink it and my taster gets use to it.

Mouthfeel= Thin, just like the beer looks. Finish is good though. The taste lingers on the sides of the tongue.

Drinkability= I probably wouldn't have more than two at one sitting. I can't put it down long enough to warm up though! The smell, the appearance and taste tells me, red wine. The finish on the palate tells me, beer. Very interesting. Glad I got to try this beer. (1,057 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

Thanks goes out to Bitterbill for this brew.

12.7 oz.
2009 Edition
Caged/Corked

Poured into a tulip a brownish color, not much carbonation at all, tiny fizzy off-white head, if any, basically not much sticky lacing. The nose is malty, soury, cherries, slight spice. The taste is malty, pretty soury, cherries, and some spice. Medium body. Drinkable, even though not much carbonation, it still is tasty, thanks Bill. (417 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours light brown with a faint touch of red into a champagne flute. A very minute amount of head, almost none. Lots of dark cherry's, raspberry's, fig's, plum's on the nose with a bunch of tart mixed in...sweet yet tart, pretty interesting. Lots of tart and oak on the palate, really great. Mouthfeel is light in body, very little carbonation (I could use a bit more). I really like this one...a winner, in my opinion. Will drink again, 100%. Wish there was more carbonation, which hurt the mouthfeel & drink. (509 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

375 ml bottle poured into my snifter.

A- Body is a very murky light muddy brown color. Pours with an approximately 1 finger white head that pretty much subsides immediately. No lacing is left behind in the glass. Cloudiness is thick and dynamic and whirls about the beer with some white yeast particles visible at the bottom.

S-An acidic tartness is the highlight of the nose and the first to hit it. Below this is a complex balance of sweet molasses, earthy mustiness, oak, and cherries.

T- Much like the nose-a pleasant sour tartness hits the front of the tongue immediately. There is a lot going on here as the cherry and oak become present underneath this and funky yeast comes through as well. The oak and cherries come through a bit more for the finish but a fantastic balance and complexity is still there. What lingers is a faint presence of the whole flavor.

M-Well carbonated and a smooth yeasty, velvety body.

D-This beer is awesome. I love it. Its a bit pricey; but well worth it (if I lived somewhere where it were available). My first of the special Lost Abbey Releases and it makes me want to find and try more of them. Very well done and perfectly drinkable. (1,179 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

'08 vintage.

Pours a rich, hazy brown with a silky tan head. Nice lace and retention.

The nose has tart cherris up front followed by oak, manure, cabernet, horse blanket and more wild cherries.

Taste is a nice balance between a sour Brett presence, sweet cherries, wood, red wine and barnyard funk funk.

Nice dry and acidic finish. Medium body is complimented by the delicate yet crisp carbonation.

Another fantastic offering from Tomme, Really grew on me as it warmed. (477 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Paid $29.99 for a 12.7 oz bottle from Perry's Liquor in Livermore, CA. Poured into a large wine glass to review.

Minimal carbonation. No head or lacing whatsoever. Brownish red/ruby in color. Opaque unless held to a light due to its extreme cloudiness. Some floaters evident. Perhaps I should have poured a bit slower.

Smells like it has been sitting in some ancient oak barrels for a decent amount of time. Mildly sour cherries and vanilla. Smell is very dry.

Taste is rather musty. Sour cherries, aged oak wood.

Mouth is on the dry side. Decent amount of astringency. Lighter bodied. Carbonation almost non-existent. Medium finish.

This is definitely a sipper. Its lack of carbonation and dryness affect its drinkability. (728 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

A major thanks to scottoale for throwing this in as an extra on a trade.

Poured into a Unibroue tulip glass.

Pours brown with a red hue and virtually no head.

Sour aroma with some malt.

Flavor is tart sour with notes of vanilla. Finishes very dry. (255 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle into red wine glass. Thanks to Will (STLWill) for the chance!

Opens with very little pop, and pours a murky brown, a bit of a reddish glow to it. No head at all, but some stickage around the glass. Bottle, however, is absolutely gorgeous. Score reflects a combination of both.

Nose, however, is world class - beautiful initial hit of acidic vinegar, sour cherries, nice old oak, and very faintly, a nice, round, bready malt note that pokes its head out when the acidity has its fill. As it warms, the acidic vinegar moves towards a smoother lactic sourness.

Started drinking a bit on the cool side. Carbonation is light but not missing entirely - whether intentionally or by accident, it works. Light carbonation bite up front is supplemented by a nice acidic bite that really helps the feel along. Smooth lactic sourness up front, some vinegar, and nice sour cherry presence. Nice oaky presence smoothing out the edges, and an underlying bit of malty richness that lends a beautiful fullness to the beer. Top notch.

As noted before, mouthfeel is very lightly carbonated, with a nice acidic bite in the top/back of the throat, and a smooth, round body. (1,164 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 Edition. Poured from a 12.7oz corked and caged bottle into my NBB snifter. The bottle was cool and is one of those short wine bottles that RR used to have. Label art was very cool as well. I read about the carbonation issues on this and some other LA beers lately so was a little worried before I opened it. Uncorked it with a tiny pop - not looking good. Even with a hard pour towards the end there was no head at all - nothing. It was a dark ruby color with brown highlights. No carbonation or lacing.

The aroma was really good. Heavy sour cherry with oak and vanilla. May be lacking in carb but not hurting for aroma or flavor. The excellent aroma got me real hopeful for the taste and it didn't disappoint. Smack in the face sour tart that made the eyes water. Awesome. Starts out sweet with a cherry base and then builds to an amazing tart finish.

Overall, an excellent beer that I highly recommend. I find Lost Abbey beers to be major hit or major miss and this one is a major hit. Wish I could get some of it but was lucky to get this so will have to keep searching for it. If available here, I'd drink several of these a year. (1,142 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks to jophish17 for this treat, and to Kegatron for the Lost Abbey glass to pour it into.

Pours a murky brown with some purple, amber, and garnet highlights with the thinnest possible ring of head to distinguish the off-white color. Almost no retention but some spotty lacing. Smells very fragrant of sour cherries, along with wafts of earth, dry oak, and sugar. Taste starts out with loads of tart sour cherries that lasts the whole time. Some dank earth notes along with some oak and vanilla come into play as well as a light brown sugar sweetness. Medium in body with very very low carbonation, but with an acidity that seems to help give this beer a little bit of a pop feel. Very tart and sour, but not over abundantly sour, quite drinkable. I just wish the carbonation issue was fixed. (796 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 2009 Sinners Edition bottle that was almost an inch under filled.

Pours a rusty color that is quite hazy and not too pretty to look at. Smells of beautiful funk as I enjoyed the heavenly aroma for minutes longer than usual. "Red Poppy...You have my attention!" First sip is puckering sour that wakes the glands deeply from hibernating inactivity - I'm impressed. The taste is best described as chomping into an engineered hybrid fruit created equally from apricots, cherries and lemons. This is a clean sourness that bites you hard but with complete control. Red Poppy is in charge here...yes sir! I am only its lunch and I'm grateful Red Poppy picked me to attack. Mouthfeel is over the top. It first appears to be under carbonated, probably from its oak barrel rest - and it is. Then the beverage organizes like a Chicago teachers union and stomps the tongue with sourness like there's no tomorrow. The lowly 5.5% ABV tastes like a high gravity 10%'er and I am lovin' it! (977 characters)

4.22/5  rDev 0%

2008 Release

Thick haze and swimming chunks of sediment crowd this ruby infused rarity. Carbonation appears to be very restrained and produces a thin vanilla colored head that barely covers the surface. It was nearly as quick to disappear as it was to arrive. Very light spotty lacing lines the glass.

Sour cherries dominate the nose and smell delicious. They're readily apparent from the first whiff. Smells tart and sour. The most intriguing and inviting aspect of the nose is the strong oak or wood-like aroma. I haven't encountered such a strong oak-y scent in a beer. There's a distinct musky aroma, but it's subtle. It's overall very deep, full of character, and smells delicious.

Red Poppy is delicious. The first sip confirms it. A very refined sour cherry flavor takes up a great deal of the flavor profile. It's interesting in that it's not all that sour or tart. Not nearly as much as I expected. I really love that aspect of it. It is sweet, but not exactly sugary. Oak is the x-factor. It adds a ton of charcter and really evens out the flavors well. I'm unsure if the refined sour flavor is attributable to the oak or not, but whatever it is, it works extremely well. There's a very slight musky aspect to it. Finishes a little sour and very dry.

The body is light and feels just a fraction too thin. Carbonation is very light. Much lighter than I'm accustomed to in Flanders Oud Bruins and similar styles. It's nice and smooth, but just a tad too thin. Despite its excellent flavor and low abv, drinkability is a little limited. The sour flavor is definitely there and it is very dry. I'm not the biggest fan of sours or extremely dry beers. Just sayin'.

Red Poppy is excellent beer. Given the rash of recent Lost Abbey criticism, I approached this one with a little caution. But, it easily lives up to the hype on its own merit. There's a whole lot to love here. What really stands out is its finesse. It has a very refined, excellent flavor and has minimal flaws. Yeah, it's a little dry and could use more body. But, I'm really grasping for straws. The flavor flat out rocks. Find a bottle. (2,114 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I probably would have rated this beer higher but it was flat when I poured it...the cork didn't pop...unfortunate for me, nevertheless, still an awesome beer.

It has an increaibly dark reddish-brown color with lots of dark red coming through. I even have what looks like a chunk of a cherry flaoting around in my glass...ill make sure to fish it out at the end. The taste is awesome. It's got a nice balance between sourness and maltiness, the latter coming through more in the end. It will be interesting to see how this ages. (528 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

I sampled this at last year's GABF and it inspired me to join the Sinners Club.

A light pop upon pulling the cork, it pours a cloudy rust colour with about an inch of foam and some nice lacing.
Halfway through, the foam and lacing are gone.

The smell is sweet! Not in the common sense of the word, mind you, but the sour cherries are permeating my every nosebud and that spells s-w-e-e-t to me! Sniffing past the wonderful tartness, I get a nice oakiness and a goodly amount of vanilla with a really light amount of bready malt lurking in there somewhere. I can't wait to take my first sip from the glass..

The taste is nice and tart with the cherries shining through like nobody's business. Tasty notes of oak and vanilla give it some complexity and balance with no sign of any bread at all. Maybe I imagined it in the smell? I can taste the vanilla mostly near the finish...no...actually near and through the finish. Nice long lasting aftertaste. This is one hell of a yummy brew!

The mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is very light but this isn't a style that I'd like even medium carbonation. Light is right.

Drinkability? It is one of the fastest disappearing brews ever poured in my glass. I wish I had a case of this stuff!!

Bottom line: I loved it at the GABF with all the ambiance and hooplah that goes hand in hand with a beer festival so I'm pleased as punch that sitting at my computer and drinking a bottle at my leisure,
I get just as much pleasure out of it. Wonderful brew!

Edit: Just popped the cork on the 2010 edition and there was a big pop. I poured it in my New Belgium goblet and saw close to 2 fingers worth of foam. Big difference from the 2009!

Smell, taste, and drinkability...copy my notes from the 2009 but the carbonation definitely added some zip both to look and mouthfeel and the foam gave me some very nice lacing. The incredibly excellent Red Poppy just got kicked up a few notches!! (1,935 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%

Presentation: Part of the 09 Sinners club, this is a 12.7 oz bottle corked and caged. Beautiful label with raised printing and metallic letters - but at this price point it better look good.

Appearance: Cork popped with a soft hiss. Pours thick and syrupy, but there is a bit of carbonation evident once its in the glass, but almost no head.

Smell: Bright sour aroma, but it isn't overpowering - there is a bit of an oak aroma there too (but not vanilla).

Taste: Very tart, what seem to be classic Flanders tastes - sour with a bit of fruitiness in there too. Mouthfeel is thick, but there is just enough carbonation in it to keep it bright.

Overall impression: This is a very drinkable beer - frighteningly so consider the price! A good example of an American sour, but I am a bit concerned reading the other reviews that they may have a quality control problem. I didn't see any of the sediment mentioned elsewhere, or have the carbonation problems. Either way - hope they get it straightened out, I've got a lot of money sunk into the Sinners club. (1,057 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -31.8%

This is a bit of an unusual review for me because I had the opportunity to have both the 2008 and 2009 within a week of each other. If I had written a review after the 2008, it would have echoed many of those here praising it's virtues. I thought it was an excellent Flanders-style beer, up there with the great Belgian names. I would have given it an A.

Alas, I opened the 2009 recently received from my Sinners shipment. A major disappointment. The pour was flat and syrupy--yet another beer from Lost Abbey that was not properly carbonated upon release. In addition, I literally had to strain the beer because of an unprecedented amount of solid matter. I've had plenty of beers with sediment and floaties, but this was out of control. It was literally chunky, with what appeared to be the skins of cherries floating around everywhere. The flavors were fine, but with no carbonation and solid matter, the overall taste suffered markedly.

I'm tiring of the inconsistency of Lost Abbey products. Quality control just doesn't seem to be a concern. I'm sure Tomme would attest otherwise, but the reality is that even though this was by far the worst, there have been many, many other occasions of QC issues for me (and it's not just me; see forum postings). No other world-class brewery has anywhere near the same issues.

Given that it is among the most expensive beer out there, this is unacceptable to me. As such, I cannot give this beer anywhere near the ranking I would have given the 2008. It is a shame, because when the stars properly align, Lost Abbey truly does belong in the discussion of the best. (1,612 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

09 vintage from my Patrion Sinner's Club.
servied in my DFH snifter.
A. Dark brown color but when held up to light reddish amber, No head no lacing not even a pop when I opened the bottle.

S. Tart, sour, cherries, oak. (my wife dose not like sour, wild, etc... she smelled the beer and said "Nasty")

T. not as sour as I had expected... sour, cherries, vinagary, oakey

M. mouth coating, slick, tart, puckery, not much carbonation

D. low abv but I'm ok with one... I've already had a few beers tonight I think I'm done for tonight...

I think I'm going to cellar my other three.
I wanted to love this, I'll up date my review next time I try this. (651 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottle courtesy of Kegbear: Poured a deep clear reddish color ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma of oak and sour cherries are heavily dominating. Taste is also a very nice mix between some deep oak notes with some cherry flavor also discernable. Very complex taste and some what similar to Rodenbach Grand Cru. I thought cherries would have been more prominent but they were somewhat loss in the mix. (437 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Reviewed during the "Brett Pack" dinner at Monk's Cafe. Served in a tasting glass. This beer is aged in various oak barrels and then blended together.

A: It poured from the bottle looking like old wine. No head, no carbonation. The color was attractive though, showing a deep rosy red with light brown on the sides.

S: With the first whiff, you know that there are a ton of cherries in this beer, and you know it's going to make your mouth pucker. It's also not very difficult to smell the effects of oak-barrel aging here, with notes of wood, vanilla and earth/peat. I am in love with this smell, since it promises such richness and depth of flavor.

T: The taste is as expected. Very sour up front, with a sharp acidity. The flavor of sour cherries is evenly balanced by a mature oak and vanilla flavor. Notes of peat and smoke are in the back, and make for a very pleasant rounded character, ranging from sweet to sour to earthy.

M: Though it looks as though there is no carbonation, I would describe the mouthfeel as prickly. I don't know if that is the acidity or what, but the feel of this beer is well rounded too. Prickly up front but extremely smooth towards the swallow.

D: Just excellent balance all around and a delicious beer to boot. Another factor in the drinkability is the 5.5% abv. I loved drinking this, and was almost disappointed to move onto Isabelle Proximus.

We drank this beer alongside a rabbit terrine that was wrapped in prosciutto and then cut into thick slices and laid down on the plate with a sour cherry marmalade. This was the best pairing of the night and possibly one of the best that I have ever had. (1,643 characters)

Red Poppy Ale from The Lost Abbey