Red Poppy Ale - The Lost Abbey

Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent.

Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart.

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 09-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Poppy Ale Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to jophish17 for this treat, and to Kegatron for the Lost Abbey glass to pour it into.

Pours a murky brown with some purple, amber, and garnet highlights with the thinnest possible ring of head to distinguish the off-white color. Almost no retention but some spotty lacing. Smells very fragrant of sour cherries, along with wafts of earth, dry oak, and sugar. Taste starts out with loads of tart sour cherries that lasts the whole time. Some dank earth notes along with some oak and vanilla come into play as well as a light brown sugar sweetness. Medium in body with very very low carbonation, but with an acidity that seems to help give this beer a little bit of a pop feel. Very tart and sour, but not over abundantly sour, quite drinkable. I just wish the carbonation issue was fixed.

HopDerek, Apr 14, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 2009 Sinners Edition bottle that was almost an inch under filled.

Pours a rusty color that is quite hazy and not too pretty to look at. Smells of beautiful funk as I enjoyed the heavenly aroma for minutes longer than usual. "Red Poppy...You have my attention!" First sip is puckering sour that wakes the glands deeply from hibernating inactivity - I'm impressed. The taste is best described as chomping into an engineered hybrid fruit created equally from apricots, cherries and lemons. This is a clean sourness that bites you hard but with complete control. Red Poppy is in charge here...yes sir! I am only its lunch and I'm grateful Red Poppy picked me to attack. Mouthfeel is over the top. It first appears to be under carbonated, probably from its oak barrel rest - and it is. Then the beverage organizes like a Chicago teachers union and stomps the tongue with sourness like there's no tomorrow. The lowly 5.5% ABV tastes like a high gravity 10%'er and I am lovin' it!

ATLbeerDog, Apr 10, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

2008 Release

Thick haze and swimming chunks of sediment crowd this ruby infused rarity. Carbonation appears to be very restrained and produces a thin vanilla colored head that barely covers the surface. It was nearly as quick to disappear as it was to arrive. Very light spotty lacing lines the glass.

Sour cherries dominate the nose and smell delicious. They're readily apparent from the first whiff. Smells tart and sour. The most intriguing and inviting aspect of the nose is the strong oak or wood-like aroma. I haven't encountered such a strong oak-y scent in a beer. There's a distinct musky aroma, but it's subtle. It's overall very deep, full of character, and smells delicious.

Red Poppy is delicious. The first sip confirms it. A very refined sour cherry flavor takes up a great deal of the flavor profile. It's interesting in that it's not all that sour or tart. Not nearly as much as I expected. I really love that aspect of it. It is sweet, but not exactly sugary. Oak is the x-factor. It adds a ton of charcter and really evens out the flavors well. I'm unsure if the refined sour flavor is attributable to the oak or not, but whatever it is, it works extremely well. There's a very slight musky aspect to it. Finishes a little sour and very dry.

The body is light and feels just a fraction too thin. Carbonation is very light. Much lighter than I'm accustomed to in Flanders Oud Bruins and similar styles. It's nice and smooth, but just a tad too thin. Despite its excellent flavor and low abv, drinkability is a little limited. The sour flavor is definitely there and it is very dry. I'm not the biggest fan of sours or extremely dry beers. Just sayin'.

Red Poppy is excellent beer. Given the rash of recent Lost Abbey criticism, I approached this one with a little caution. But, it easily lives up to the hype on its own merit. There's a whole lot to love here. What really stands out is its finesse. It has a very refined, excellent flavor and has minimal flaws. Yeah, it's a little dry and could use more body. But, I'm really grasping for straws. The flavor flat out rocks. Find a bottle.

prototypic, Mar 31, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I probably would have rated this beer higher but it was flat when I poured it...the cork didn't pop...unfortunate for me, nevertheless, still an awesome beer.

It has an increaibly dark reddish-brown color with lots of dark red coming through. I even have what looks like a chunk of a cherry flaoting around in my glass...ill make sure to fish it out at the end. The taste is awesome. It's got a nice balance between sourness and maltiness, the latter coming through more in the end. It will be interesting to see how this ages.

Douglas14, Mar 29, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +14%

I sampled this at last year's GABF and it inspired me to join the Sinners Club.

A light pop upon pulling the cork, it pours a cloudy rust colour with about an inch of foam and some nice lacing.
Halfway through, the foam and lacing are gone.

The smell is sweet! Not in the common sense of the word, mind you, but the sour cherries are permeating my every nosebud and that spells s-w-e-e-t to me! Sniffing past the wonderful tartness, I get a nice oakiness and a goodly amount of vanilla with a really light amount of bready malt lurking in there somewhere. I can't wait to take my first sip from the glass..

The taste is nice and tart with the cherries shining through like nobody's business. Tasty notes of oak and vanilla give it some complexity and balance with no sign of any bread at all. Maybe I imagined it in the smell? I can taste the vanilla mostly near the finish...no...actually near and through the finish. Nice long lasting aftertaste. This is one hell of a yummy brew!

The mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation is very light but this isn't a style that I'd like even medium carbonation. Light is right.

Drinkability? It is one of the fastest disappearing brews ever poured in my glass. I wish I had a case of this stuff!!

Bottom line: I loved it at the GABF with all the ambiance and hooplah that goes hand in hand with a beer festival so I'm pleased as punch that sitting at my computer and drinking a bottle at my leisure,
I get just as much pleasure out of it. Wonderful brew!

Edit: Just popped the cork on the 2010 edition and there was a big pop. I poured it in my New Belgium goblet and saw close to 2 fingers worth of foam. Big difference from the 2009!

Smell, taste, and drinkability...copy my notes from the 2009 but the carbonation definitely added some zip both to look and mouthfeel and the foam gave me some very nice lacing. The incredibly excellent Red Poppy just got kicked up a few notches!!

Bitterbill, Mar 29, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Presentation: Part of the 09 Sinners club, this is a 12.7 oz bottle corked and caged. Beautiful label with raised printing and metallic letters - but at this price point it better look good.

Appearance: Cork popped with a soft hiss. Pours thick and syrupy, but there is a bit of carbonation evident once its in the glass, but almost no head.

Smell: Bright sour aroma, but it isn't overpowering - there is a bit of an oak aroma there too (but not vanilla).

Taste: Very tart, what seem to be classic Flanders tastes - sour with a bit of fruitiness in there too. Mouthfeel is thick, but there is just enough carbonation in it to keep it bright.

Overall impression: This is a very drinkable beer - frighteningly so consider the price! A good example of an American sour, but I am a bit concerned reading the other reviews that they may have a quality control problem. I didn't see any of the sediment mentioned elsewhere, or have the carbonation problems. Either way - hope they get it straightened out, I've got a lot of money sunk into the Sinners club.

rowew, Mar 25, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -32.2%

This is a bit of an unusual review for me because I had the opportunity to have both the 2008 and 2009 within a week of each other. If I had written a review after the 2008, it would have echoed many of those here praising it's virtues. I thought it was an excellent Flanders-style beer, up there with the great Belgian names. I would have given it an A.

Alas, I opened the 2009 recently received from my Sinners shipment. A major disappointment. The pour was flat and syrupy--yet another beer from Lost Abbey that was not properly carbonated upon release. In addition, I literally had to strain the beer because of an unprecedented amount of solid matter. I've had plenty of beers with sediment and floaties, but this was out of control. It was literally chunky, with what appeared to be the skins of cherries floating around everywhere. The flavors were fine, but with no carbonation and solid matter, the overall taste suffered markedly.

I'm tiring of the inconsistency of Lost Abbey products. Quality control just doesn't seem to be a concern. I'm sure Tomme would attest otherwise, but the reality is that even though this was by far the worst, there have been many, many other occasions of QC issues for me (and it's not just me; see forum postings). No other world-class brewery has anywhere near the same issues.

Given that it is among the most expensive beer out there, this is unacceptable to me. As such, I cannot give this beer anywhere near the ranking I would have given the 2008. It is a shame, because when the stars properly align, Lost Abbey truly does belong in the discussion of the best.

abfraser, Mar 16, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

09 vintage from my Patrion Sinner's Club.
servied in my DFH snifter.
A. Dark brown color but when held up to light reddish amber, No head no lacing not even a pop when I opened the bottle.

S. Tart, sour, cherries, oak. (my wife dose not like sour, wild, etc... she smelled the beer and said "Nasty")

T. not as sour as I had expected... sour, cherries, vinagary, oakey

M. mouth coating, slick, tart, puckery, not much carbonation

D. low abv but I'm ok with one... I've already had a few beers tonight I think I'm done for tonight...

I think I'm going to cellar my other three.
I wanted to love this, I'll up date my review next time I try this.

mikeale, Mar 15, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle courtesy of Kegbear: Poured a deep clear reddish color ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma of oak and sour cherries are heavily dominating. Taste is also a very nice mix between some deep oak notes with some cherry flavor also discernable. Very complex taste and some what similar to Rodenbach Grand Cru. I thought cherries would have been more prominent but they were somewhat loss in the mix.

Phyl21ca, Mar 14, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Reviewed during the "Brett Pack" dinner at Monk's Cafe. Served in a tasting glass. This beer is aged in various oak barrels and then blended together.

A: It poured from the bottle looking like old wine. No head, no carbonation. The color was attractive though, showing a deep rosy red with light brown on the sides.

S: With the first whiff, you know that there are a ton of cherries in this beer, and you know it's going to make your mouth pucker. It's also not very difficult to smell the effects of oak-barrel aging here, with notes of wood, vanilla and earth/peat. I am in love with this smell, since it promises such richness and depth of flavor.

T: The taste is as expected. Very sour up front, with a sharp acidity. The flavor of sour cherries is evenly balanced by a mature oak and vanilla flavor. Notes of peat and smoke are in the back, and make for a very pleasant rounded character, ranging from sweet to sour to earthy.

M: Though it looks as though there is no carbonation, I would describe the mouthfeel as prickly. I don't know if that is the acidity or what, but the feel of this beer is well rounded too. Prickly up front but extremely smooth towards the swallow.

D: Just excellent balance all around and a delicious beer to boot. Another factor in the drinkability is the 5.5% abv. I loved drinking this, and was almost disappointed to move onto Isabelle Proximus.

We drank this beer alongside a rabbit terrine that was wrapped in prosciutto and then cut into thick slices and laid down on the plate with a sour cherry marmalade. This was the best pairing of the night and possibly one of the best that I have ever had.

MusicaleMike, Mar 13, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

Gabe opened up a bottle for us at Beachwood and passed it around. From notes:

Appearance: A dark rose red, fairly appropriate in that sense, but there's just no head or lacing. At all. The body's color is pretty, but this wasn't just a matter of having no head or lacing, it was a matter of the beer looking flat, to be honest.

Smell: Perfume, candy sugar, vanilla, licorice on the back end. A smell very reminiscent of some Flanders Reds I've had in the past, specifically Rodenbach, although this is an Oud Bruin.

Taste: Metallic on the front end, which really, really detracted. However, I was beginning to think this was an issue with the bottle more than anything. Grass, vinousity, sourness. On the back end/aftertaste is a very lingering and surprising butterscotch-like sweetness, however, which was really surprising and nice.

Mouthfeel: Slick, but way, way undercarbonated.

Drinkability: Perfectly drinkable - not too sour at all, in my opinion. However, the flatness of the whole bottle was definitely a let-down.

RidiculedDisplay, Feb 28, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

tasted (a few times) at the NotB. If I ever acquire a whole bottle I will go back and try and write a more detailed review.

The first thing that jumped out was the nose on this beer. My eyes must have doubled in size and my lips formed a whoah expression. The guy from Lost Abbey pouring just kind of looked at my reaction and gave a smile that said.. yes it is a glorious smell..

What a way to break up all those Barrel Aged Imp Stouts. This was a gem that stood out.

First sniff was sweet love of sour cherries. Followed by vinegar notes pushing it's way through.. asking my senses to WAKE UP and get ready for what was about to be delivered.

The taste did not fail. No sir. Not being that familiar with Sours, yet.. I can see how some might be put off at first and then warm up to this.. but It was love at first smell/taste for me.

Can't wait until I can obtain a bottle and sit at my house and really pick this beer apart.

chefnash51, Feb 26, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

I would like to thank the person who so graciously provided this beer. ..you know who are. Consumed and enjoyed with my good buddy PutsDeBnABV on 2/21/09.

A: Poured a deep mahogany-copper hue with tiny amounts of lacing and head. Carbonation was easily visible as well.

S: Very subtle tart fruitiness with some earthy undertones.

T: Minute amounts of roasty characteristics up front followed by a powerful cherry-sourness that seemed to grab my attention for the first half of the sip, and then gently faded away from my palate. The earthy/soil like flavors almost reminded of a merlot, which seemed to balance out the tart/sourness of this beverage. A lot of lambic like qualities were also evident. To sum up the flavor profile, I would have to say that it was powerful and perfectly balanced.

M: A light to medium body beer that had a good amount of carbonation that wasn't overpowering.

D: At 5.5% ABV, the alcohol wasn't present at all...as anyone would expect....along with a great flavor profile made this beer extremely easy to drink. Very impressed.

Overall: I wasn't sure what to expect from this beer, but boy did it surprise me! In a good way of course. A great sour that I would I think everyone should enjoy. A must try. Cheers!

OlieIPA, Feb 22, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

Ok, I am not a sour beer drinker by nature, but I am trying. The rating here is based more on what I think it's supposed to be, not by how much I really enjoy it.

A - Reddish brown, a little like malt vinegar. No head, very little lacing.

S - Vinegar and sour cherries.

T - Major sour cherries, some raspberry with a vinegar back. Only a hint of malt in the whole thing.

M - Low carbed, medium to light body. Fairly smooth and creamy.

D - For the style, I am sure it's killer. For me, really, one is enough.

EDIT: 2.12.11 Getting more into sours, will have to try this one again sometime.

srandycarter, Feb 22, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to NOBama for including this as an extra.

Appears a dark and murky brown, similar to a belgian quad but without the massive head.

Scent is vinegar and very light fruit.

Taste was strange, the first sip was almost too much medicine taste but as it warmed it really got much better. Dark Cherries and sour as hell.

Mouth is good, this is a relatively thick drink for a sour and very carbonated. Any less carbon would make this undrinkable.

Drinkability is good but not perfect as you really can't do too many of these back to back if at all.

sonicdescent, Feb 21, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

2009 bottle: Thanks to Jason for this one...
Explosive cherry tartness, fruity, leathery, earthy. Plenty of oak on the back end that lends it balance and traditional flavors. Black cherry through and through. A mild balsamic vinegar note blends into the funky barrel aroma, a mixture of wet stone an sea foam fade in curious directions...spicy oak reminds me of Enigma. Mild tartness, nothing off the charts. Awesome stuff!

2008 bottle, 01-04-2009

Served at 50º into a Duchesse de Bourgogne glass.

Deep scarlet body in the light, thin layer of dirty foam that leaves a substantial ring at the edge. A skim returns with a swirl of the glass. Tiny trails of bubbles feed into the foam ring. Aroma is nice and funky, farmhouse cheese, lactic with some vanilla traces. Damp forest floor with wood, earth, wet leaves and wild mushrooms. Flavors of bitter and tangy cherry pits, leather, soil, with a dominant horseblanket brett taste as it warms. Dry and oaky finish. Medium body that is right on, and the brett character makes you slow down and sip.

Huge thanks to TheBlackMallard for this one!

emerge077, Feb 17, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to srandycarter for trading this beer to me. Looked like a good choice for Valentines Day. Poured this one in to my Deakin University wine glass. Coloration is a beautiful murky dark rose with shades varying in different parts of the glass. Small white lacing for the head, and what looks like tiny bits of yeast sediment all around. Smell is mighty funky, with cherries, lactic acid, and oak. Quite sour, but not overbearing at all. The sour cherries really make themselves known, along with some lemon flavor, and that tiny Oud Bruin sweetness right at the end. Body is light, with no apparent hop profile, and less carbonation than was expected. Some might find this difficult to drink, but I love sour beers, so it was not a problem. Awesome beer from the Lost Abbey, those guys truly are great at what they do. Worthy of the hype in my opinion. An extra cheers to them for going for a style that you do not see all that often.

jamie2dope, Feb 15, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

375 ml cork finished bottle opened with a pop. A little carbonation mist came out of the opening. Poured into a tulip glass.

A vigorous poor created a quarter inch thick head. A few bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass. Color is a cola brown-red, and light sediment is in the body of the beer. Looks nice in a tulip glass.

The smell was apparent from the get go, first sniff and tart sour cherry is the dominant smell. Fruity Esters are there in the background and as the beer opens up the sweet malt becomes detectable.

First taste and Red Poppy initially made my mouth pucker, and salivate. Tart cherries are dominant upfront w/ hints of vanilla bean at the finish. Overall tart and fruity, but in a good way.

The beer has a light body, and is undercarbonated, body seems to thin out even more with time.

I enjoyed this beer's complexity and suppleness. For me the combination of sour/tart/cherry and barrel aged flavor makes this a memorable beer.

steadydose, Feb 13, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

2009 vintage. Poured into my Russian River tulip, the beer is a dark copper with a red tint. As I expected, a tiny head is the result of a vigorous pour and there is no lacing on the glass.

The aroma is slightly sweet and dominated by sour cherries, with some lactic acid and barnyard characteristics. The aroma denotes a mild tartness. Some plum and chocolate notes are evident, as well as currants. The flavor is much like the aroma. The black cherry flavor is pervasive. The beer is minimally sour and fairly tart. The lactic acid is noticeable. The chocolate is subdued and the plum is present. The finish is dry, crisp, slightly sweet, and tart with cherry flavor.

Red Poppy is medium bodied with medium carbonation. It is light on the palate and dry. Astringency is low.

A great representation of the style. I can't believe this stuff comes out of San Marcos. I prefer this vintage to the first, though the Double Cherry Red Poppy is my favorite.

HopHead84, Feb 11, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

Shared by Ftownthrowdown at my place last night. 375ml bottle - 1st batch (2008).

Cloudy brown with a tinge of redness... No traces of yeast in the bottle. Opaque through the center, yet visible around the edges. Very litte to no head.

Sour tart cherry followed by little bit of funk, a quick walk through the barnyard, but not too intense. A small amount of citrus and lemon zest.

Body is light, flavor is medium to full. A lot more funk in the mouth, including straw.

Hidden carbonation on the tongue. Light to moderately sour overall. Very nice.

Thanks for sharing this one!!!

beachbum1975, Feb 10, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle from the first batch.
Pours a murky brown in color. No head forming on the pour. Smell is sour funk and a good amount of bitterness. A bit more acidic than I was expecting. There's a lot more cherry flavor coming through in the flavor. Seems like it kind of fades out in the middle and is a bit empty there.
There's a bit more funk than I was expecting as well. It seems the cherry aspect of this beer has faded over the course of the last year and has been somewhat muted by the other flavors. Allowing more funk and acidic qualities to come to the forefront.

FtownThrowDown, Feb 10, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Consumed on 2/9/09

2009 Batch 375ml bottle.

Poured a cloudy brown/copper color with no head whatsoever. Aroma is full of sourness and some cherry. Taste is an amazing punch of sourness on the tongue followed by a slightly bitter aftertaste that lingers for a while. Slight carbonation and medium mouthfeel lend this beer an awesome drinkability. I am so excited that I got to try this great sour for the first time.

deliriumfest, Feb 10, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first bottle popped open from the latest 2009 release. Looks like I may be the first to review the 2009 batch. Had it on tap at the brewery but was too busy enjoying it. Drinking it while reviewing.

Poured into my Russian River Barrel Beers tulip. While pouring there was no head, even while pouring a little harder. Appearance is a nice red with amber tints to it.

Smells of sour cherries and bret funkyness. The cherries really come through. Smells great.

Taste is wonderful. I am not a huge fan of sours but this may very well be my gateway sour. Nice cherry/tart balance. Tart hits the tip and especially the sides of the tounge. The cherries and the malt hit the back of the tounge. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is a little low on the carbonation than I expected but the malt balance with the other things going on in the beer is great.

Drinkability. I could drink this alot. Will drink many bottles of this. I had last years release and it was not that great but this year is a winner. Glad I went to go pick some up. Thanks Lost Abbey!

PeprSprYoFace, Feb 08, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Vintage 2008, 375ml bottle at 52 degrees.

Pours clear amber with a ruby hue. A veil of murky sediment obscured the perfect clarity before I could stop the pour. A quarter inch head of off white faded quickly leaving behind a few whisps on the surface and barely a trace of lacework.

Aromatics lead off with acid-laced malt, dried cherries, and dusty vinegar barrels. Hints of cinnamon, cedar bark, and earthy tannins follow through.

Light to medium bodied with an almost crisp mouthfeel. Lowish carbonation. A bit thin and watery.

Ripe, red fruits, tannic oak, Sherry vinegar, and malt to balance start the palate. A clean, medium-level acidity quickly steps forward as well as hints of earthy must, cherries, and grapefruit pulp.

Finishes with a peppery warmth, lingering acid, and fading tart cherries.

I'm pretty underwhelmed with this one. Once again, the carbonation on this Lost Abbey beer is low. The beer as a whole is a bit limp and timid. Not as sour, tart, or fruity as I would expect in a world class Oud Bruin or Flanders Red. A decent amount of complexity, but not enough to keep things interesting.
$20 per 375ml bottle? Ha!

brewandbbq, Feb 03, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -14%

idk where this bottle came from but it's been in my fridge for a year now (2008). muchas gracias to the soul who left it behind...

it's been sitting so long that the cork bomb was no issue... dark orange brown color with no head and lots of clumpy yeast.

smells a bit like pickling spice/pickles or that strange funkiness that a lot of red burgundies get before they get a chance to open up... cinnamon, wet cement, fruity/cherry tart though not quite sour and malty sugars yet it's very dry.

it tastes very 'green' from young barrels and quite tannic. though i'm not sure whether the tannins dominate from the wood or cherry skins (it really doesn't matter)... also, faintly malty and oaky with a cinnamon-y brett-like stink on the finish which lingers on. medium body lacks a bit of richness. the mouth feel it is prickly and dry as it cleans the palate entirely.

not a whole bunch going on... seems as if something is missing. though, it is in no way a bad beer! 7/4/7/4/15/3.7

hellbilly, Feb 03, 2009