Red Poppy Ale - The Lost Abbey

Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 09-07-2007

Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent.

Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart.

The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Poppy Ale Alström Bros

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Allagash flute.

The color is a brownish maroon with two fingers of brownish head that is quick to disappear leaving some nice lacing left on the glass.

The smell is has some malty flavor with some slight funk flavor holding in the background. There is a nice brett aroma coming off the nose that is giving me ideas of what to expect.

The taste is funk from the gate. Some sour fruity flavors comes out to welcome my tongue. There is a slight sour apple flavor that is the main flavor that is out in front but the sweetness that fills you from behind this apple flavor is more malty and filled with some slight grainy flavor. There some bitterness at the end to make its presence felt but the aftertaste kicks in quickly and is back to a nice sourness.

The feel of this beer is medium bodied but there still seems an almost light feel to the flavor that it is deceivingly lighter then the expected. A great beer filled with such nice sourness that it makes me want more.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle from the first batch.
Pours a murky brown in color. No head forming on the pour. Smell is sour funk and a good amount of bitterness. A bit more acidic than I was expecting. There's a lot more cherry flavor coming through in the flavor. Seems like it kind of fades out in the middle and is a bit empty there.
There's a bit more funk than I was expecting as well. It seems the cherry aspect of this beer has faded over the course of the last year and has been somewhat muted by the other flavors. Allowing more funk and acidic qualities to come to the forefront.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A great beer, one of my favorites from lost abbey. For an Oud Bruin this has to be my favorite I've had so far in style.

A: Huge tan head with glass coating lacing. Maroon to brown hue with lighter brown highlights with a cloudy look overall.

S: Lactic smell mixed with farmhouse funky malt and some cherry and berry notes to sweeten it up a little bit. Oak barrel vanilla adds in nicely to the mix.

t: Tart berry and cherry taste with oak smoothing out the sourness nicely. Champagne grape notes mix with the dark cherry and semi sweet oak vanilla tastes. Bitter dry back to the flavor. caramel and strawberry flavors are also detectable in this very fine oud bruin.

M: High carbonation, sparkling feel. Still smooth and elegant though, the carbo seems to work with the tart flavors.

O: Really nice Oud Bruin, very excellent beer.

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into a snifter, and enjoyed it with a poached pear and apple cider and clove reduction food pairing. I waited in line for two hours to get it at the brewery in January.
A: Beuatiful ruby red. I'm sharing it with two others and I poured all the yeast into mine! No! Mine's cloudy and the others without the yeast are prettier. It has a thin lace, I would like more head.
S: Sourness, cinnamon, molasses
T: Paired well with the pears. Sourness with definite woody background. Definite cherry aftertaste. I'd like more fruit and less sourness please.
M: Very dry and bubbly
D: I'd like one more glass. I'm not feeling it at all. I wish I'd shared the bottle with only one other person! It's a small bottle for the price.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

Reddish brown body with some light white lacing. Smells of tartness on the nose. Not really getting the cherry in the nose or in the body. The acidity drowns out most of the flavors I was hoping for. Given the pricepoint, I'd expect more balance, more cherry flavor. Very acidic for the style in my opinion.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Received this brew from metallitone1 in a recent trade. This is my first brew from The Lost Abbey side of things and I look forward to this one. By far the best looking bottle I've ever had the pleasure of sampling a beer from. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- On first pour it's a crystal clear pink with nice foamy bright white head. Once you empty the bottom of the bottle it turns to a dark brownish red with the same perfectly white head. Leaves a nice cap and collar with plenty of chunky lacing.
Smell- Very tart with a light sour cherry start. Full of lactic goodness with small amounts of oak that lend a subtle vanilla. This thing sort of reminds me of a Brett filled red wine (if there is such a thing). Sharp, fruity and funky this is one inviting scent.
Taste- The sour cherries are the first thing that hits me on my first sip. Very tart and lactic it starts big and brash. Not as vinegary as other beers of this type but the sourness of the cherries makes up for the lack of yeastly pucker. The original punch quickly fades leaving a soft resounding vanilla woodiness. The oak coats the back of my throat leaving a sweet woody residual finish.
Mouthfeel- Considering the beer the mouthfeel is fairly solid and sturdy with sharp/crisp carbonation and a dry finish.
Drinkability- This is a really great beer that I wish I could drink anytime I'm in the mood for the style. It's ridiculously drinkable and freakishly tasty. I'm not sure how this stands up to some other Lost Abbey brews but if they've done any style as tasty as they've made this one, I'll be really pleasantly surprised. Big thanks to Tim for the opportunity!

2.98/5  rDev -30.4%

pours brown with amber highlights around the edges. alot of thick off white head that sticks around awhile. smells like red wine vinegar and wood. taste is sour tart cherries up front, then comes the wood, then theres the vinegar i smelled. has good carbonation but just feels watered down, very thin. i've had better beers of this style for half the price. cant get that vinegar taste out of my mouth.

Red Poppy Ale from The Lost Abbey