Carnevale - The Lost Abbey

CarnevaleCarnevale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

2008 (first release) does not have brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 02-12-2008)

CEDAMA, Mar 23, 2013

HopStoopid120, Nov 15, 2011

patm1986, Nov 15, 2011

Scarle21, Apr 11, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +23.2%

Pours a sparkling clear golden. Lots of bubbles seen rising in this but surprising the mouthfeel isn't overcarbonated, in fact it's VERY smooth. The smell initially makes you go "Woh!" It's very sweaty, musty. However the taste isn't anything like that. Just slightly earthy, very light, and a bit fruity, finishing dry. So easy to drink. Just what was needed on a hot night in southern California like tonight. I even preferred this to the Saison Dupont I had right after.

MiScusi, May 18, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +22%

Poured froma 220z. bottle into a over sized wine glass.

The color is a clear gold with about two fingers of foamy white head and some nice lacing.

The smell is pretty funky. Some green bean or vegtable flavor in the nose. It has a yeast flavor that mixes with some slight fruit flavor as it sits and breaths.

The taste is sweet at first with a smooth with some nice dry fruit flavor. I have a white grape flavor that is followed by a slight green apple flavor. There is a slight rasin flavor as well at the end.

The feel is a pretty easy drinking feel to this beer and is slightly acidy but very pleasing. The first Lost Abbey beer I have had and I am very happy with this experience.

Duhast500, Feb 04, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

Elfastball7, Mar 17, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +18.2%

Bomber served in a snifter glass

A: perfect straw colored beer, cloudy. large head, lots of carbonation coming from the bottom
S: barnyard funk, light hop. lighter malty bready smell. i think pilsner malts, not positive. Lots going on in it.
T: I think this tastes exactly how a saison should taste. Sweet, funky, fruity, spicey. Theres just sooo much going on and it blends so well.
M: Good, very refreshing, high carbonation like all bottled conditioned saisons
O: Love this saison, one of my favorites for the reason it is strictly just a simply brewed saison nothing extra. Everything that comes through in the flavor and smell is from the yeast doing its marvelous job.

FitnessForBeer, Mar 19, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

I received this bottle in Feb. 2008 as part of the Patron Saints Club, so this is the older version of Carnevale, prior to them adding Brettanomyces to the recipe.

Poured into my Unibroue tulip glass a golden straw colored hazy fluid with bubbles filtering to the top constantly. A generous rocky white head formed of two fingers width, but then receded to lacing at the edges and a thing ring atop the beer.

The smell is sweet fruity but with an earthy background, with a strong spice presence, probably coriander and some orange peel...classic additions to any Saison! The smell is fairly powerful.

A drink reveals a very refreshing and complex beer. I will attempt to record the experience of my taste buds, but i am sure it will be inadequate...The initial nose has a nice subdued malty sweetness with a tinge of orange peel, but is immediately overtaken by a powerful spicy presence and bitterness which lingers through two more changes of taste. After the powerful abdomen of spice recedes a bit, there is another hint of malty sweetness, but with a darker flavor than the initial taste. The finish is long and dry, and mouth-stiningly spicy. I don't usually spend this much verbiage on taste, but as my rating suggests, this is an exceptional taste. I don't take that rating lightly!

The mouthfeel is very nice with a high carbonation that keeps the beer coating your mouth long after the swallow.

Drinkability for me is very good, but this is a complex beer that deserves a critical pallet. If you love Saisons, seek this party out!

ahalloin, Aug 07, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

What a phenomenal, somewhat dry, funked up saison. Dark golden on the pour very yeasty and hazy, beautiful looking big cap of white foam that billows and boils on the chalice. Aromas of spicy yeast and hop notes, very herbal and fresh with nice green hop notes and a very zesty blend of spice and light fruit. Maybe a tad bit of funk if you reach in the back, but maybe not?

Taste is earthy and spirited with a great hop blend mixed with fresh baked bread and a wonderful spiciness. Hops come again in the dry spritzy finish, damn this shit is refreshing! A mild barnyard funk in the background, no brett in this one, but somehow there is a slight funk, not sure of Tommes secret on this but it is the most controlled funk I Have come across in a saison before. Mouthfeel is yeasty, dry, spritzy, perfect summer quaffer. Drinkability is perfection, a phenomenal warm weather beer. Probably the best Saison I have had in years. It's like a lighter more refreshing Avec! Fantastic job

francisweizen, Apr 03, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

A - Poured into a tulip, it kinda looks like someone took a leak into my glass. It's got a farily light golden clear color, with a foamy white head. Lots of bubbles shooting from the bottom confirm that it's not urine.

S - Belgian yeasty esters, slight hops riding the majorly fruity bulk. Smell is really nice. Random spices as well.

T - Oh yeah! This stuff is awesome! Perfectly balanaced between bitter, dry, sour, and sweet. I love the wave that sweeps over my tongue with each sip. Lots of fruit flavors, white wine affects, hop bitterness... just really well put-together.

M - Sparkly, light, airy.

D - Ultimate drinkability. It could help that it's a hot ass summer day, but this is goin down like water, and could continue to do so for a long, long time.

Notes: My saison kick has been supremely satiated with this brew. Love everything that's going on in it, and really love the fact that I have one more bottle. If you're a fan of the style, pick it up... you won't be sorry. Spanks Red Barn with a paddle.

SaucyA, Jun 13, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +16.9%

This is definitely a beer to get the good times rolling! Refreshing and crisp. A nice one finger head on top of a pale to medium amber body. Steady stream of bubbles but the head dissipates fairly quickly.

Strong scents of yeast, spiciness from pepper, and some floral hops.

A lot of complexities going on with the taste. Very sweet upfront with some tang. Only the faintest bitterness explosion at the end. Orange citrus and biscuits noticeable early on, while yeast and pepper dominate the after taste. Nicely balanced with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel is medium carbonated and silky smooth; excites the palate. Overall a refreshingly crisp brew.

TheJollyHop, Nov 28, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

A: Very frothy head, nice golden color. Nice lace to the froth as well, sticking well to the side of my Duvel glass.

S: What an amazing smell. This is why I love Saisons. Tropical fruit, banana, Belgian yeast, they all come through. I can smell this beer from the table!

T: I don't think you even need to be a beer guy to know that this is an exceptional beer. I love the fruitiness of this style, I almost feel like I've bitten into some kind of tropical fruit rather than just finished sipping a beer. The yeast flavors are actually rather understated, which is definitely a big plus for me, as these Belgian styles are typically dominated by that flavor in my experience. There is a complexity in the flavor that I could only identify if my palette was more refined.

M: The carbonation is on the heavier side, but not unpleasant. Medium mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

Overall: This is an exception example of the Saison style, which seems to be becoming easier to find as more breweries are taking a crack at it. It's delicious, highly drinkable, and not overwhelming at a modest 6.5% I highly recommend it if you dig this style.

Fikash, Jul 10, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

Received from Weibull as an EXTRA!! I've been sitting on this one since March because I wanted to do a "Saison" tasting that never materialized.. Thank Jason. Poured tonight as my ongoing cellar clearing project into my New Belgium Snifter..

2 finger eggshell head.. looks exactly liked whipped egg whites.. dies almost as slowly with a ton of beautiful lace.. the brew is a slightly hazy golden honey..

The nose is still surprisingly hoppy mixed with a great Belgian yeast component.. funky and citric.. pear juice and lemon zest.. grassy and floral hops are still very present.. but for the most part we're talking yeasty spiciness and citrus zest.

The depth in the palate is surprising.... yet very very balanced.. everything seems sooo in tune... nice bitterness and sorta a cookie dough pale maltiness with an enveloping spiciness and lite citric element throughout.. a little clove and white pepper.. floral and citric hops are wonderfull.. this is very very good.. the body is spot on and so is the carbonation..

I was feeling pretty damn guilty about cellaring a brew like this for sooo long.. but I honestly think it did some cool stuff.. much more complex than any American take on the Saison style I've ever tried.. and a damn site better than many of the Continental counterparts..

Edit: the drinkablity for the Carnevale is off the charts.. I want this beer as my goto beer.. I want this beer as the bottle that I take to parties... I want this beer to show the immense complexity and immense drinkability of great beer.. I love it.

Jason is a proper trader.. we should do it again, yet I doubt I have the ammo.

JohnGalt1, Feb 06, 2009