The Angel's Share - Brandy Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Brandy Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Brandy Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 04-23-2008

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 642 | Reviews: 417

2006 vintage-750ml. cork finished brown bottle with classy styled, artistic labels.

This ale pours a deep, rich mahogany-black with a fat finger of mustard-tan head. Fine carbonation bubbles thicken the frothy cap that eventually settles to a ring with patches on the surface. In the Duvel tulip this stuff looks mouth-watering.

Huge, complex aroma...sweet dark ripened fruits, vanilla, oak, molassas, licorice and big note of alcohol that really surfaces as the brew warms. I absolutely love the smell of this ale.

The flavor...ah, the flavour...this fine coctail of a beer is Heaven sent. Sweet dark caramel malts explode with flavors untold. Rich dark fruit of fig, prune, raisen, along with licorice, vanilla, oak and spirits, give this brew a flavor that I honestly crave. This is one ale that leaves no room for improvement...this is as good as it gets, period.

Big body with perfect carbonation and a velvety mouthfeel. A very boozy, yet not overwhelmed by the spirits that were previously in the oak, awesome ale.

This ale deserves all the praise that it gets...yeah, it is that good (hype or not)!

Thanks Tomme!

This is the 2009.

A-Just a touch lighter then pitch black. Brown black around the edges. Barely carbonated but the bubbles hanging in the side of the glass are just enough. Surprisingly small amount of lacing.

S-Brandy, oak barrel, licorice, sweet and a touch of alcohol. I wish I could describe this better, when it warms up it has an even more amazing aroma.

T-Sweet brandy, nice oak barrel, grapes, licorice, alcohol on the finish. As it warms that oak barrel really shines through. The alcohol is pleasant and compliments this very nicely. There's alot going on there but I can't describe it all.

M-Not as thick as you'd think but a good medium body. Like the appearance suggests it's got just a touch of carbonation. Smooth and very pleasant. Dry finish.

D-Amazing flavors that aren't overbearing. Great mouthfeel. A sipper that you can't sip because it taste too damn good!

This is one seriously complex beer. I mean there are a ton of things going on in the nose and flavor. Huge aroma of chocolate and oak hit me like a ton of lead. After warming up a bit more sweeter notes came out like brown sugar and a vinous profile came out. An oil mouth feel that was slick, yet sublime at the same time. Flavors were, like the nose, incredibly complex with the same notes as above and a sweet character but balanced by a wine-line tannic kick. I want more!

I was blessed with this amazing offering at the Rare Beer Sampling for Pints for Prostate during the GABF.
The appearance is of dark amber with a very very thin light head.
Smell is more than worth the effort in finding this gem. Smells of vanilla, rich cherry and dark fruit malts, dark brandy sweet notes, bourbon roastiness, sweet caramel and rich toffee.
Taste is Unreal! This is the most beautifully blended mix of sweet liquor-like accents such as brandy, bourbon, oak, dark cherry and toffee mixed into strong ale notes like sweet caramel, light malts and small hints of subtle hops.
The mouthfeel is like silk and extremely smooth.
The overall sensation of drinking this beer is not at all harsh but must be enjoyed at a moderate pace.
It will age well and is possibly one of the best beers I've ever had!

This is the best beer I have ever tasted. Period.
2006 Brandy A.S. from a 750ml, tasted 11/20/2010.

A-Pruned dark brown with a tinge of head....I gave this a 5 because any other four year old 10.5 year old beer looks like a donkey's dick swamped in turbid crack vomit.

S- Rum raisin, booze, but just shallow enough to give way to oodles of fig-cake, port wine, ginger, and a lot of malt. Even at four years old, this beer is offering a lot of snap!!!

T- Spice, subtle rum raisin, BOOZE, silky nuances, bitter eulogies laced with aromatic sensations that rouse even the most unending qualms of human ignorance...This masterpiece is why i continue to give hope to Lost Abbey. They messed up, but in tasting their vintage products, it has given me hope beyond impulsive homogenous reprise.

M- Thick, syrup, bread laced and spicy equilibrium.

D- For a 10.5, I find nothing of the equal, and might never. This is a perfect beer IMO.

The above review is in lieu of a great night....Got to hang out with a black Labrador, watching 007 Golden Eye, and Braveheart, after a long long day of work. This was paired with the urge to experience a bottle that I knew was best in the collection. Nothing short of curiosity was to blame, and to which, I render immediate thanks to the contrary of principle.

Thank you, L.A. for creating such a fine spiri/beer

I just deleted my first and only review of this beer...This is a huge sign of grace, because it was one of the worst beer I've ever had. It was a solid mass of malty bukakke and I wish that $19 and an hour of my life was given back somehow, but that is LIFE! You live, grow, and become something better. Same with this beer. Haters gon hate!

4.97/5  rDev +29.8%

Instantly as you open the bottle you get a smell of oak. Blackish brown and burgundy body is seductively attractive. Smooth and creamy carmel brown head stands at a solid inch. The nose is one of the best I've ever experienced on a beer, it includes huge amounts of oaky bourbon, carmel malts, buttered toffee, vanilla and dark fruit. As you take first sip the senses are flooded with layers of smooth sweet bourbon, Carmalived malt, zesty dark fruit, a bit of spice and well as you see it keeps pretty nicely with the nose. Amazing complexity, while being approachable and lovely. Alchol is only present as it warms the belly. Mouthfeel is very attractive. It is almost impossible for me to find any fault in this beer. Perfectly drinkable.

At the time I am posting this review I have now had both the Brandy and Bourbon versions, and I can say that the Brandy version is easily my favorite of the two.

4.96/5  rDev +29.5%

Tried this at the brewery this weekend and it's phenomenal! The Brandy barrels sweeten it up just a touch compared to the original but it didn't get cloying.

4.96/5  rDev +29.5%

Had a recent tasting of this beer again. It was perfect in every way. The smell was vanilla, toffee, molasses, sweet balsamic vinegar and caramel, the taste was more of the same with malty sweetness, no roasted bitterness, well balanced with alcohol heat at the finish. Enjoyed this beer at 55F temp, a perfect sipper. Would pick up whenever available. Better than than the Bourbon Barrel version which i also love.

4.94/5  rDev +29%

On board with bifrost. Best beer at Toronados barleywine fest, enjoyed on the 15th. Glad all of my friends hated it, more for me!!

A - Poured dark brown with no head. No dissipation and no lacing, um, no head.

S/T - Brandy and equal amounts of honey/toffee malts.

M - So rich delicious. Excellent mouthfeel and full-bodied. Really felt this would go well with a good book and a brandy glass.

D - My #1 at Toronados, no doubts.

4.92/5  rDev +28.5%

o man, got this straight from the brewery and poured it into a brandy sniffter. poured a lot darker than expected but thats a good thing. almost opaque with a ruby hue around the edge. the nose offers up brandy, vanilla, and oak. carbonation is perfect for my taste. this is one of the best beers i have ever drinken. im holding onto my remaing bottles for special occasions only.

4.9/5  rDev +27.9%

I will start off by saying that was the second best I have ever had against Russian River's Pliny the Elder

After lots of contemplation, I chose to drink this one on my birthday last night with numerous attractive beers waiting for me in my cellar and it had to have been the best choice

I bought this at Port Brewing Company last weekend for fifteen dollars and it was worth every single penny, it a 750 ml corked and caged bottle with nice artwork and a cool shape, the brewery spends two dollars for each 750 ml bottle they use just for the glass

Poured into my Flying Dog imperial pint glass with a dark murky brown color and 1/2 inch light tan head that did not budge, this left the most lacing out of any strong ale I have ever seen

Smell was predominantly vanilla and oak with a strong alcoholic aroma, could also smell various dark fruits and hints of rich toffee, I knew this was going to be a winner after catching the first whiff when I popped that cork and it squirted all over the sink

Taste was as complex as a beer can ever get, loads of brandy hit my lips immediately, followed by chocolate and mountains of sugar, ridiculous amounts of caramel, a great oak taste from its aging process that is at least six months long, starts off sweet with a boozy brandy taste that fades into a dry potent dry finish, lots of sweetness throughout this one that definitely makes it a sipper or dessert beer if there ever was one, sugar comes out more and more as it warms to room temperature, always want more after each sip, it is going to be hard to not drink that other bottle of mine soon and it will take more willpower than I probably posses

This had the fullest and thickest body you can imagine, a serious mouthfeel with taste that never mellowed, in your face stuff that keeps packing its punch, not very carbonated which is expected

Granted that this is strong at eleven and a half percent and is super heavy stuff, it is incredibly easy to drink and almost had to pace myself so I could fully enjoy it, took about two hours to finish the bottle myself, I do not even want to know what this beer is calorically but it is probably equivalent to a meal

I had never tried this beer before but have heard a whole lot of hype about it and judging by the line that day I knew it was going to be a fantastic beer but that is an understatement, I cannot explain how amazing this tastes and I will make the drive next time they release this with bourbon barrels in a second

The best Lost Abbey offering I have had and it seems to be their pride and joy as well, good thing they had a six bottle limit because I probably would have emptied out my bank account for these if they had not, hope to try this on tap someday, I got to try Veritas and Funky Barrel the day I purchased these though, that was a nice treat

There is a reason everbody wants this stuff, it is amazing and I wish I had not traded so many of my bottles already, I do not think any barrel aged beer will ever live up to the quality of this one, trade whatever you have in order to get a bottle of this and you will not be sorry, I recommend this over them all, this beer is practically perfect

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
The Angel's Share - Brandy Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey