The Angel's Share - Brandy Barrel-Aged - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Brandy Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Brandy Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.00% ABV

A barrel aged burgundy colored ale infused with copious amounts of dark caramel malt aged in the oak.

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-23-2008)
3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into my Duvel tulip. The beer pours a shade lighter than pitch black, with absolutely zero hint of a head forming or any lacing (sigh). The smell cheers me up a little bit, dark chocolate and oak/vanilla notes. As I sip I pick up the same flavors I found in the nose, with dark fruits and a slight refined alcohol finish added to the mix, complex and very enjoyable. As suggested at the outset, there's absolutely no carbonation whatsoever. In addition, the body is decent but could stand to be a little more full. The drinkability score would be at least a point higher if not for the poor mouthfeel, as even the slight alcoholic heat at the end of the taste doesn't really pose a problem.

axeman9182, May 23, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -11%

2009 Vintage

Took it out of the fridge and let it sit 10 minutes before opening. Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

A: Sort of a deep mahogany, No head at all, barely carbonated, no lacing.

S: Strong boozy aroma, dark fruits (aka prune juice) with some molasses.

T: Strong alcohol brandy taste, prune juice, molasses, barrel, trace of vanilla, and pipe tobacco. A bit too much alcohol. The flavors opened up and improved greatly as it warmed up. After an hour in the glass it was room temp and at it's best.

M: no carbonation, gives it a viscous/syrupy feel, which isn't terrible, but I found it a bit cloying.

D: Good. It's think and viscous, flavors linger, it's a great beer to nurse over time. It really improved as it warmed up. A little carbonation would have been good.

Overall I enjoyed this beer as long as I didn't think about the price. I don't think I'd spend $16 on it again. For some reason it made me think of me of Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout. I can't say why, but it did, and I haven't even had the Sam Smiths Imperial Stout in a couple of years.

diechipmunk, May 21, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -5%

2009 Vintage

A: Sort of a deep purple. No head, a few bubbles, barely anything going on.

S: Boozy barrel, dark fruits - mostly grapes. Touch of vanilla and molasses. The aroma is strong, but warm and inviting.

T: Barrel, burnt toffee, dark cherries/grapes, vanilla, tobacco. Cocoa is present in the lingering aftertaste. Alcohol is detectable, a little hot. Initially it is well integrated, but eventually becomes tiring on the palate.

M: Only slight carbonation is present in my bottle, which to me is perfect. Mouthfeel is otherwise thick and coating.

D: Low, but "sippability" is high....yah know, if that were a category.

zoolzoo, May 18, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +23.6%

2008 Bottle

Big thanks to my Big Sister for getting this for me last year on a trip to San Diego for my birthday. We waited a year because of the carbonation problems last spring. Poured into a chalice jet black with no head. There was no pop when I popped the cork. The smell is strong of brandy, which overpowers any of the malted sweetness that may be present. That isn't a bad thing. The taste is of strong brandy at first with malted sweetness. The lack of carbonation is not a problem at all. Infact, I shared this with my sister and brother in law and they both compared this to drinking a dessert brandy. Which as we all know has no carbonation.

My brother in law, who isn't a BA, even asked why she didn't buy two bottles because this is his favorite non macro beer I've given him.

whoneeds8, May 09, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

This was one that a couple of guests and I were looking forward to cracking open! I have had it once on draft, and Lost Abbey beers a totally different experience out of a bottle.

Pours super thick murky brown, with an obvious dense center. Not very sure what causes this but looks really cool. The smell of oak, barley and alcohol fill your nose from the first smell. This is a very earthy beer and drinks very slow. Even the smallest sip covers the mouth with a ton of strong dry barley flavor. Think a very dry Cabernet vs a sweeter Cab...this is one "BIG Beer" in every sense of the word, smell, taste, mouth feel and ABV weighing in at a solid 12%! This beer gets a solid 5. Recommend buying a bottle or 3 and having one fresh and cellaring them for later dates!

pastradul, May 06, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +19.9%

On tap at 515 in Santa Cruz. I've tried most of Lost Abbey's rarer barrel program beers but this, one of the most common ones, has always eluded me. And even when I did see it in stores, I was wary of paying 30 bucks for probably flat beer. So obviously I'm extremely excited to pay five bucks for a snifterful of the stuff.

Nice deep mahogany color with a fluffy tan head that sticks around quite a while. Aroma is fantastic. Lush brandy notes, plenty of sweet toffee maltiness, vanilla, fruits, and a bit of spice. The flavor is out of this world. Raisins, molasses, pudding, chocolate, high-quality spirits, caramel, port. Thick and sweet, definitely a sipper meant to be enjoyed slowly. A little heat but not too much. Nice lasting finish.

For all the shit Lost Abbey gets over their carbonation problems, I felt that the level of CO2 in my force-carbonated glassful was far too high. It would have been completely suitable by any other beer's standards, but that much carbonation in The Angel's Share is TOO MUCH. After a period of swirling to kill off the excess, the result was simply incredible. This beer clearly CLEARLY benefits from lower carbonation.

Note to LA carbonation haters: You're wrong. You are wrong. Your palate is wrong, your taste is wrong, your reviews are wrong, your indignation is wrong, your opinion. is. wrong.

Angel's Share is right.

illidurit, May 01, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

375 ml. bottle, poured into my Russian River goblet.

A: Pours a murky brown, almost black with some lively brown bubbles that disappear to almost nothing. Looks a bit like luke-warm coffee.

S: Boozy, but with hints of dark fruit, molasses, caramel, and chocolate. Hops are almost non-existent.

T: Taste makes up for what it lacks in smell and appearance. Caramel, molasses, fig, date, prune, and some coffee notes highlight the beer, while in the backround sits the sweet, booziness of the brandy. The oak adds a pleasant hint of coconut and vanilla in the finish.

M: Although there is little carbonation, this beer is full-bodied, and has a very silky mouthfeel.

D: Overall, this brew is quite drinkable. It does lack in some aspects, but the complex flavors and full body make it quite unique. It's one that's definitely worth trying.

WYVYRN527, Apr 29, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a dark caramel with absolutely no head and no lacing. This boozy smelling drink did have legs that are typically seen in wine that would run down the glass when tipped in a glass. Typically these legs are not seen in beer of 11.5% as they have a head usually. Just sayin

Smell of brandy, brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, roast malt, oak barrel and yep, more brandy. Some residual sweetness can also be smelled.

Taste of oaked brandy, butterscotch, brown sugar,Vanilla, pete / charcoal, some boozy alcohol and more brandy sweetness. I had expected far worse after hearing this repeatedly bashed for being flat, which it is, but wow, I never heard so much trash talked about a beer as this one. A quarter through my first glass of this, I could feel the booze slightly tinge the back of my throat. I slightly like this flavor I think.

Light body and literally no carbonation. I have had worse beers, but this one is not my favorite either.

alpinebryant, Apr 26, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance: Dark brown-ish black, no head (disappointing), and few bubbles

Smell: Brown sugar, molasses, and a touch of liquid black licorice.

Taste: Boozy. I found the flavor profile heavy handed. Maybe my bottle wasn't in its prime?

Mouthfeel: I found it to be surprisingly thin. I think this is where I was left most wanting for this beer. It just had so little body.

Drinkability: Perhaps not a spot-on sampling? I can only rate what I taste. Not my cup of tea. To the next one.

jjh19, Apr 24, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Justin and I sampled this courtesy of Swimsum at a BA Gathering last night. Thanks again Brent! It was either the 2008 or 2009 vintage, whichever one was notoriously flat. Following review written from notes.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Deep, opaque, brown with caramel edges. A short, tan head fizzled upward following the pour, but then vanished instantly. Doesn't appear to be any carbonation; looks very flat and oily. Each swirl coats the glass in a thick, brown residue. J: 3.5; N: 3.0

Smell: Big vanilla, brandy, and floral notes. Lots of caramel and molasses, too. Also getting white chocolate fudge and other rich dessert aromas. Sweet and complex. J: 4.75; N: 4.25

Taste: Smooth brandy (no burn), vanilla, leather, and caramel. Light cocoa too. Very balanced and mellow. J: 4.50; N: 4.25

Mouthfeel: Nearly flat, thick, warm, and syrupy. Finishes dry and prickly. J: 4.25; N: 3.0

Drinkability: A pretty special beer, but additional carbonation could really help this beer out. J: 4.5; N: 4.25

Wiseman Nick: B+ (3.88)
Wiseman Justin: A (4.30)

ThreeWiseMen, Apr 18, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

2009 Vintage 12.7 oz. purchased from Bottle Works in Seattle about a month ago. This bottle among others made the trip in the cargo from SEATAC to DFW. Stamped "Brandy 09" near the base of the bottle. Quaffed from a Popperings Hommel Bier snifter.

A- The decorking was uneventful and almost laborious. No pop and lifeless with no head upon settling in the glass. Beautiful maple syrup coloring.

S- Strong with brandy aromas with hints of vanilla bean, figs and tobacco road.

T- Initial pow of vanilla and sweet figs with a demanding alcohol finish. Hot all of the way through.

M- Covers the tongue with a heavy mouthfeel as this beer should do. I don't miss the carbonation at all.

D- Exactly what you would expect from a beer of this description. A one beer night over a good meal or great conversation.

tylerhedwards, Apr 09, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

Popping the cork produced a nice hiss. Good to hear. Poured into a snifter. Brandy Barrel Aged Angel's Share has a dark brown body with a cherry tint around the edges. No head and no lacing. Looks pretty basic.

The aroma, however, makes up for the dull appearance. Warming brandy, toffee, grapes, cherries and figs rise up from the glass. The brandy is strong, but not overwhelming. Lots of sugared fruits. Malts are bready and biscuity. Nicely complex.

Sugared figs, sweet malts and brandy roll across the tongue. Again, grapes, cherries and bready malts. The aroma transfers over to the flavor nicely. Sweet, rich, and a little woody with a touch of vanilla.

The mouthfeel is somewhat viscous. Very light carbonation, but it fits the style well. Could maybe use a little bit more, but I'm not really complaining. Slightly syrupy with warming alcohol.

Quite drinkable for a 12% ABV ale aged in brandy barrels. On the sweet side and the alcohol is noticeable, but you expect this to be a sipper before you even open the bottle. A 375 is great for a long evening or splitting with a friend of two.

Overall, this is the third time I've had one of the Angel's Share from Lost Abbey and this has been the best bottle I've had. This beer is flavorful and enjoyably complex. If Lost Abbey can keep up their quality control then I might just pick up another bottle in the future. Also, I'm really looking forward to the Grand Cru version of this. I've heard good things and I know when Lost Abbey does something well, they do it very well.

sisuspeed, Apr 09, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

2009 vintage had side by side with Angels Share Grand Cru with a huge thanks to Tony for providing it at a March tasting.

The cork popped off with a hopeful whiff of gunsmoke and it poured into the glass with some carbonation but eventually looked lifeless. The color was a muddy deep brown.

The nose was heavy on the brandy and alcohol with some minor oak and vanilla notes.

The flavor was once again huge on the Brandy. Besides that there was some oak, vanilla and port type flavors. The flavor was pretty dominant on the Brandy which was too overpowering. I would really like to have tasted more of the base beer.

The mouthfeel was full and while there was a noticeable lack of carbonation I felt it didn't hurt the beer too much. Sure some more would have been appreciated but I don't think it took much away from the beer. The dominant Brandy and alcohol flavors hampered the drinkability to me.

I'm really happy as to have tried this and having it side by side with the Grand Cru was a great experience. I just wasn't digging this version too much and when price is factored in I don't see myself picking up more of this. On the other hand the Grand Cru version was outstanding and if you have the chance to try it I would highly recommend it.

weatherdog, Apr 06, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

2009 Brandy 12.7oz bottle opens with a nice pop. A vigorous pour into a tulip amounts to a little, very bubbling looking, cream-colored head that doesn't last long. The beer appears a very dark opaque brown. Kind of reminds me of flat soda...

Smells of brandy, oak, and dark fruit--raisins and dates.

Taste follows the smell with a good balance of malts, raisin, and brandy with some woodsy hints. A little alcohol heat at the finish.

Mouthfeel is full-bodied and somewhat syrupy. The carbonation is very low, but it's there.

Despite the fact that the carbonation could be a little higher, this is a very enjoyable beer with a great balance of brandy flavor. At the current price point I don't think a 12oz bottle is worth it though.

sidetracked, Apr 05, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

'09 small bottles... reviewed from notes from a bottle picked up at Brewforia.... Steven pulled one of these out tonight... poured into my Delirium goblet.

1/2" tan head... dark brown brew... nice lace.. descent cap....

very complex deep maltiness... tons of misc malts with barrel presence... chocolate malt.. toasty elements.. the brandy is very light (thankfully)... but some oak is there too.

Flavor is very nice... good dark dried fruit essence.. slight cocoa... figgy.. bit of golden raisin... some cigar box with warmth... I don't like cigars, but this works.. EtOH.. a bit spicy.. very complex.. the Brandy essence is pretty unique, but falls flat for me.. instead. the base beer really is my favorite....

The carbonation is light.. but I like it... medium/full body..

This is a truly great beer... I've had most of the "debated" vintages and have always been amazed with the complex and deeply flavorful brews within. I really hope Lost Abbey will continue to make it to Boise... I don't care what the naysayers have to say.. The '09 is a great beer.

4/4/4.5/4/4.5

JohnGalt1, Apr 03, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -12.3%

I poured from a 12.7 ounce bottle into a snifter. It pours a dark, nontranslucent amber with the slightest hint of a head, after a very vigorous pour. All carbonation is gone within a minute of the pour. Brandy is the predominant aroma going on. There are hints of oak and vanilla to round out a very pleasing smell. The flavor is suprisingly good for a flat beer. The oak and vanilla mellow the brandy nicely. The beer is warming and it finishes with hot alcohol. The beer is full bodied, and somewhat creamy. The lack of carbonation really kills the enjoyment for me. The beer is a sipper, the brandy ensures that. I would avoid this overpriced brew.

bonkers, Apr 02, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Aroma: Heavy Bourbon and Brandy aroma's upfront followed by some light vanilla and oak notes. Alcohol spice kicks in with quite a bit of presence in the nose, nearly vinous at first but seems to settle down, or your nose gets used to it. No hop aroma. If you search for malt character you'll find a hint of caramel, but this could be coming off the oak as well.

Appearance: Pours a charred wood color coming off deep brown at the top and edges but black through the middle. Looking through the sides the beer appears to pour with good clarity. Next to no head forms with even a moderate pour. Some bubbles form along the rim of the glass, but after a few minutes these have all faded to nothing. No lacing.

Flavor: A smack of vanilla coats the tongue at first before a very strong bourbon and brandy flavor kicks in. If I knew more about these liquors I could describe it better, but there's something more going on here than just bourbon oak. High alcoholic spice becomes present in the middle and toward the finish where you'll also find some dark fruit playing into the mix. Finishes with stickiness on the tongue and lingering vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with light carbonation. Alcohol warms the mouth and back of the throat, and burns just slightly as you swallow. Malt sweetness leaves just a bit of stickiness on the tongue but the alcohol presence dries out the beer in the finish.

Overall: The Bourbon and Brandy flavors are so strong in this beer that it's nearly an example of a slightly carbonated Bourbon. That said, it's extremely warming and pleasing on the tongue with flavor complexities ranging from vanilla oak, to bourbon and some dark fruit. There is no indication of hop presence and barley malt character is dominated by the barrel aging. Ultimately, a great beer for a Brandy lover but a bit biased in that direction for a beer lover.

DanOLeary, Mar 30, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -12.8%

2009 12.7 oz bottle poured into a snifter

On pour...No head. just a medium oily density coming from the bottle into the glass. very dark color with a bit of light around the edges.

Man this smells alot like a pugnant red wine. Soy sauce and a foul musty aroma. some alcohol and dark figy type fruits like currants.

taste is rough and oily, cherry juice, something sour going on but i cant nail it, there is a brandy sweetness and alcohol presence for sure, dark moldy fruits.

Flat. Medium. Oil. It's lost abbey you get the picture.

I had this on tap another time and it was alot better, alot less sourness and moldy musty notes and some carbination, this was way underwhelming.

ChadQuest, Mar 29, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

Dark, almost black with a slight, milky head. Coats the glass like brandy or dessert wine. Aroma is very sweet with prune, raisin and vanilla notes.

Taste is overwhelmingly hot, but still extremely complex. Lots of espresso and sweet, syrupy taste up front. Taste is not too different from the bourbon barrel-aged variety.

Mouthfeel is pretty full but could be even more syrupy to match the taste. This is an extremely boozey beer and as much as I enjoyed it, at 12% ABV I probably would not have been able to get home if I had had two!

BeckyFreesTibet, Mar 29, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -1%

Had this on tap at Lost Abbey.
The Angel's Share 2010 is an American Strong Ale and 12%. It smelled of oaky vanilla, raisins, prunes and brandy. It tasted extremely malty, sweet with tons of caramel/toffee notes, with a huge burnt coffee aftertaste. It wasn't quite balanced for me, the brandy definitely overpowered the other flavors. It also was lacking in carbonation, which I personally didn't think that was such an issue since this beer is heavy and pretty much a sipper (but I know that goes against all beer codes).

femALEist, Mar 25, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

Served from a 375ml bottle (2009 Brandy) purchased from Julio's Liquors in Westboro, MA into my Lost Abbey Signature Glass at the appropriate temperature (03/13/10).

A: Pours a fairly dark shade of brown with some chestnut hues and just a cap of lace and foam that disappeared quickly leaving just some bubbles.

S: This is a pungent fragrance that I found quite similar to Sam Adams Utopias. Notes of molasses, dark fruits, chocolate, figs, raisins, brandy, wood, and booze. Very intriguing and intense, but I never found it to be over the top.

T: The taste is just as intense as the nose with layers of molasses, dark fruits, chocolate, raisins, wood, brandy, booze, and some sweet malt.

M: A little thinner than expected, but still medium-bodied along with lower yet appropriate carbonation and a slight warming alcohol finish.

D: I thought that the 375ml bottle was a perfect size and a treat without being burdensome.

Overall this was an excellent American Strong Ale from The Lost Abbey and one that seemed to do quite well aging in a brandy barrel. Recommended.

Lunch, Mar 23, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

375mL bottle, corked and caged, stamped "Brandy 09" near the bottom

Pours a deep chestnut brown with a large amount of haze. Almost purple in color and no head whatsoever. Only a few brown bubbles on the pour.

The nose is big and bad. Brandy dominates with figs, molasses, dark cherries and a slight woodiness. Largely boozey and a tad overwhelming.

Raisins and figs with dark cherries. Booze dominates with a finish of heat and tobacco. The brandy is almost too much here. It toes the line well, but pulls back just enough.

There's not much carbonation here at all. Syrupy with loads of heat and a medium body.

It took me a little while to warm up to the amount of brandy the aging imparted on this beer. I wavered between not liking it and loving it throughout drinking the bottle. Really on the fence here.

ColForbinBC, Mar 19, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a corked and caged 12.7oz bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet.

BRANDY 09

A: Released the cage and the cork practically fell out. No pop, no nothing. Pours a lifeless dark roast coffee brown. No head, no carbonation, no lace. Redeems itself a little from the cool looking "legs" running down the inside of the glass. Lots of suspended sediment.

S: Pretty awesome aroma of, well, brandy. Burnt barrel, vanilla, tobacco, roasted malt, dark chocolate, and booze drenched over-ripe dark fruit. Hot alcohol tickled my nostrils a little.

T: Just as above. The major players are boozy dark fruit, roasted malt, tobacco, and chocolate. Very large brandy presence.

M: Big, still, and sweet. For starters. After the initial blast of sweetness, solvent alcohol kicks in and tightens things up and lends a spicy and prickly burn to the mouthfeel.

D: Drinks surprisingly well. I'm really disappointed with this batches' lack of carbonation. This thing just sits in the glass like late 60's Cuyahoga River water...still, lifeless, and brown. Looks aren't everything, but c'mon! Really?

GbVDave, Mar 16, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -17.5%

2009 12.7 ounce bottle

pours dark dark burgundy almost black with no head at all

smells boozy - oak and vanilla dark fruit

taste - much like the nose dark fruit malts/sweet caramel malts - vanilla and oak - some booze and nutty flavors in the aftertaste

mouthfeel is bad - this beer was flat! and very thin!

drinkability - even if this beer had a different mouthfeel - i would never buy this beer again - over hyped and over priced - oh well live and learn

jsh420, Mar 14, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

I drank this from a 375ml bottle into my Orval glass. This is a 2009 bottle.

The beer pours a very dark brown, you can really tell the difference between brown and black on this one. There is no carbonation at all. No head comees up at all.

The aroma is super sweet and matly. Vanilla dominates this then you get some nice notes of brandy, and wood.

The taste is all malt, tons of vanilla again almost all the way through the finish. At the end there is a little wood and an alcoholic finish.

The feel is really weak here. Its very light feeling without much of a finish. There is a light warm feel.

Overall, this is ok, nothing special, the grand cru crushes this.

jrallen34, Mar 13, 2010