Inferno Ale - The Lost Abbey

Inferno AleInferno Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 05-04-2008)

claaark13, Nov 17, 2011

wtfuggles, Dec 05, 2011

leprakhan, Dec 17, 2011
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Mar 01, 2012

The first release of this ale...750ml. brown bomber with cork finish. The label depicting a view of the firey depths of hell.

Poured into a Duvel tulip a slightly hazed golden straw yellow with a finger and a half of white floamy head. Constant lively carbonation thickens the head and keeps it aloft till the end, while leaving only minimal clumps of lace clinging to the glass.

Light spicy clean malt nose with a whisper of alcohol and black pepper. Smells like a Belgian ale?!

Sweet pale malt, crisp and spicy clean as enters, while turning nicley bitter and dry almost instantaniously. A warming dry finish with a lingering spice of yeast and hop.

A light-medium body that fluffs in the mouth and thins to a dry warming finish demanding another sip for the crispness and taste.

Too drinkable for this strength of brew...not a problem for a strong ale drinkin fool. Damn tasty Duvel clone...my favorite type of Belgian...still!

I must try this side-by-side with Duvel next time to see which one I prefer most. Cheers!

scottoale, May 04, 2008

hockeyfighter19, Jul 06, 2012

PhatAtUT, Dec 04, 2011

msarver16, Jul 17, 2012
4.89/5  rDev +21.6%

750 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.
8.5% ABV, Bottled 9/26/13

A - A puffy thunderhead cloud of lumpy, sparkling, snow-white foam rests atop a beautiful pale yellow colored beer hazed over by unfiltered sediment. A billowing chimney of carbonation keeps the tall foam afloat for what seems like eternity while thick white suds clings to the glass, caking it in decorative lace.

S - Great Belgian yeast aromatics just flow from this beer effortlessly; lemongrass citrus, sticky-sweet clover honey, and sharp musty dryness all overlap the light malts kissed by wet wheat. White grape skin, clay, and wet rocks caress a sprinkling of spicy noble hops that finish out the spectacular aroma, complimented by tiny banana esters coming through after sipping.

T - Inferno Ale begins with a mellow candi sugar sweetness that evolves into a spicy twang from noble hops and yeast esters; light earthy clay, clove, lemongrass, Bartlett pear skin, and floral notes all congregate with a teeny banana hint along the back end.

M - As effervescent as champagne, foam tickles the lips as it's sipped and the bubbles lightly sting the throat as it's swallowed giving it a refreshing light body, balanced perfectly between the maltiness, light hop additions, and yeast esters. The only time any alcohol is noticeable in this brew is faint through retro nasal breathing, finishing with a slightly fusel warmth.

O - Complex and bold in aroma and flavor, Inferno Ale packs a wallop (of alcohol) that goes generally unnoticed through it's consumption, a trait sought after in this highly drinkable style. An incredible Belgian Strong Pale Ale from start to finish, The Lost Abbey's Inferno Ale get as close to replicating the classics as possible, so close in fact, one might believe it straight from Belgium in a blind tasting! To top it off, every time I've experienced this beer it retains it's quality, which is more than I can say for one of the largest producers of this style. The Lost Abbey's Inferno Ale is a world-class beer that absolutely must be tried by any self-respecting beer lover.

BeerFMAndy, Mar 06, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +21.4%

(reviewed from notes)

I live very close to San Diego and yet the only other Lost Abbey brew I'd tried before this one was their Red Barn Ale (an excellent saison). Well, where to begin...

No real need to break down this review into separate parts, as the beer scored near perfect in all aspects on the BA scale for me. The highlight would definitely be the taste. There is a wonderful spicy undercurrent that I enjoyed immensely.

Mouthfeel is also delightful; effervescent with perfect carbonation. Reminiscent of a very nice, carbonated holiday cider.

Overall a fantastic brew. Would seek it out for sure.

gregb13, Oct 31, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Thanks to Smason for sending me this in a trade.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bomber into 2 Duvel tulip glasses. zdk9 and I shared this one.

A: Pours a beautiful golden yellow color with a huge 2-3 finger head with huge bubbles. Coats the glass pretty well with lacing as well. Nice bubbles creeping from the bottom.

S: Smell is extremely complex and in a great way. I get hops, fruity aromas, some spiciness like maybe coriander, perhaps bitter orange zest, bready yeast notes. Just very complex and awesome.

T: Taste follows what the nose indicates. Very complex all the way around. You can't find an aspect of this beer that's not balanced. It's superbly spicy, with hops to add a bitter component that doesn't linger, and sweetness to add another complex layer. It's all working in concert together to form a delicious beverage. There is some spicy fruit here, and a biscuity maltness to balance it all out well too. I have no complaints whatsoever. One of my favorites.

M: Carbonation is about perfect, weight is just right for the style, oilyness is right where I like it. It's also creamy. Would be hard to improve although not impossible.

D: I could drink it all night. It is never overpowering in any aspect so even with the high ABV I love it.

For me this was "the beer that started it all". I had always enjoyed beer quite highly but this pushed it to another level for me. I got it originally at the Pizza Port Bottle Shop as a recommendation from Sean and he probably has no clue to this day what he started but this was my first beer that night, and I finally got to have another. I will definitely trade for this again as it's my favorite BSPA that I know of. Better than Duvel for me because it's more spicy and less sweet.

Highly recommended.

thirdeye11, May 11, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +18.9%

This January 2013 I review a bottle of Inferno bottled October 2011. This pours with the same thick head, but it dissipates faster and sticks around the sides of the glass above the beer. There are no bubbles rising in the orange liquid. the smell actually reminds me of wine- lots of fruit but a lot more alcohol in the smell than what I recall a young Inferno to have. I raised smell up to 5 after it warmed and the alcohol in the nose went down bring more of the raisin and pear and peach like smells out. Before the taste I will describe te mouthfeel as it is unique for how little bubble action we see: as soon as it's in my mouth it starts to lightly bubble and fizz. As if it was just waiting for me to taste it for it to come alive. First you get the fizz on your tongue - then you get the flavor. As the carbonation dies down in your mouth the different flavors of bread, fruits, and a metallic alcohol presence (that I associate with wine) come about. It isn't that it tasted different with each sip- it is well balanced between the bread and jam-like flavors with the alcohol resting underneath, but the way the flavor opens up in your mouth with the strong carbonation apparently starting to bubble in your mouth- then instantly ceasing to reveal a marvelously mixed flavor is something I don't recall at all from a young bottle, and it's quite an entertaining drinking experience. And it maintains that fizz-in-your-mouth quality to the end of the bottle. I would have liked to review alongside a fresh bottle but these are big bottles. Off my memory of a young bottle: main differences as far as flavor: the young bottle I remember had a somewhat sharp presence of yeast. It really stood out and brought a somewhat bitter funk flavor. Here that flavor is still present but is more entwined with the overallflavor rather than tasting like an element that stands out. You taste more of the fruity malt influence and a slightly dry metallic aftertaste. I didn't know what to expect- this is a first aged beer but damn it shows that it's worth the time.

tilopud_rye, Jan 08, 2013