Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Inferno Ale - The Lost Abbey

Inferno AleInferno Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 05-04-2008

Corruption, Greed and Lust, they’re all represented on he books today. Tomorrow they’ll be stringing Gluttony, Desire and Sloth. Go ahead, tell yourself you’re better than all of them. But you can’t. Hell can be funny like that. Down here it’s all just sin. Everyone here is screwed just like you. They don’t care who you sliced, diced or cheated. No one is escaping this heinous place.

Your roommate is an axe murderer. Eerily, he’s not threatening. How can he be? The Fallen Angel owns your body, mind and soul. As such, no one can take your life. It’s already been taken. Or was it given? Neither matters. Did you seriously think you were living a virtuous life? At least Satan serves beer in Hell. He brews it himself right there in that flame stoked cauldron. Rumor has it the beer is straw yellow, bone dry and simply labeled Inferno.

The first release of this ale...750ml. brown bomber with cork finish. The label depicting a view of the firey depths of hell.

Poured into a Duvel tulip a slightly hazed golden straw yellow with a finger and a half of white floamy head. Constant lively carbonation thickens the head and keeps it aloft till the end, while leaving only minimal clumps of lace clinging to the glass.

Light spicy clean malt nose with a whisper of alcohol and black pepper. Smells like a Belgian ale?!

Sweet pale malt, crisp and spicy clean as enters, while turning nicley bitter and dry almost instantaniously. A warming dry finish with a lingering spice of yeast and hop.

A light-medium body that fluffs in the mouth and thins to a dry warming finish demanding another sip for the crispness and taste.

Too drinkable for this strength of brew...not a problem for a strong ale drinkin fool. Damn tasty Duvel clone...my favorite type of Belgian...still!

I must try this side-by-side with Duvel next time to see which one I prefer most. Cheers!

4.9/5  rDev +22.2%

750 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.
8.5% ABV, Bottled 9/26/13

A - A puffy thunderhead cloud of lumpy, sparkling, snow-white foam rests atop a beautiful pale yellow colored beer hazed over by unfiltered sediment. A billowing chimney of carbonation keeps the tall foam afloat for what seems like eternity while thick white suds clings to the glass, caking it in decorative lace.

S - Great Belgian yeast aromatics just flow from this beer effortlessly; lemongrass citrus, sticky-sweet clover honey, and sharp musty dryness all overlap the light malts kissed by wet wheat. White grape skin, clay, and wet rocks caress a sprinkling of spicy noble hops that finish out the spectacular aroma, complimented by tiny banana esters coming through after sipping.

T - Inferno Ale begins with a mellow candi sugar sweetness that evolves into a spicy twang from noble hops and yeast esters; light earthy clay, clove, lemongrass, Bartlett pear skin, and floral notes all congregate with a teeny banana hint along the back end.

M - As effervescent as champagne, foam tickles the lips as it's sipped and the bubbles lightly sting the throat as it's swallowed giving it a refreshing light body, balanced perfectly between the maltiness, light hop additions, and yeast esters. The only time any alcohol is noticeable in this brew is faint through retro nasal breathing, finishing with a slightly fusel warmth.

O - Complex and bold in aroma and flavor, Inferno Ale packs a wallop (of alcohol) that goes generally unnoticed through it's consumption, a trait sought after in this highly drinkable style. An incredible Belgian Strong Pale Ale from start to finish, The Lost Abbey's Inferno Ale get as close to replicating the classics as possible, so close in fact, one might believe it straight from Belgium in a blind tasting! To top it off, every time I've experienced this beer it retains it's quality, which is more than I can say for one of the largest producers of this style. The Lost Abbey's Inferno Ale is a world-class beer that absolutely must be tried by any self-respecting beer lover.

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

(reviewed from notes)

I live very close to San Diego and yet the only other Lost Abbey brew I'd tried before this one was their Red Barn Ale (an excellent saison). Well, where to begin...

No real need to break down this review into separate parts, as the beer scored near perfect in all aspects on the BA scale for me. The highlight would definitely be the taste. There is a wonderful spicy undercurrent that I enjoyed immensely.

Mouthfeel is also delightful; effervescent with perfect carbonation. Reminiscent of a very nice, carbonated holiday cider.

Overall a fantastic brew. Would seek it out for sure.

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Thanks to Smason for sending me this in a trade.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bomber into 2 Duvel tulip glasses. zdk9 and I shared this one.

A: Pours a beautiful golden yellow color with a huge 2-3 finger head with huge bubbles. Coats the glass pretty well with lacing as well. Nice bubbles creeping from the bottom.

S: Smell is extremely complex and in a great way. I get hops, fruity aromas, some spiciness like maybe coriander, perhaps bitter orange zest, bready yeast notes. Just very complex and awesome.

T: Taste follows what the nose indicates. Very complex all the way around. You can't find an aspect of this beer that's not balanced. It's superbly spicy, with hops to add a bitter component that doesn't linger, and sweetness to add another complex layer. It's all working in concert together to form a delicious beverage. There is some spicy fruit here, and a biscuity maltness to balance it all out well too. I have no complaints whatsoever. One of my favorites.

M: Carbonation is about perfect, weight is just right for the style, oilyness is right where I like it. It's also creamy. Would be hard to improve although not impossible.

D: I could drink it all night. It is never overpowering in any aspect so even with the high ABV I love it.

For me this was "the beer that started it all". I had always enjoyed beer quite highly but this pushed it to another level for me. I got it originally at the Pizza Port Bottle Shop as a recommendation from Sean and he probably has no clue to this day what he started but this was my first beer that night, and I finally got to have another. I will definitely trade for this again as it's my favorite BSPA that I know of. Better than Duvel for me because it's more spicy and less sweet.

Highly recommended.

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

This January 2013 I review a bottle of Inferno bottled October 2011. This pours with the same thick head, but it dissipates faster and sticks around the sides of the glass above the beer. There are no bubbles rising in the orange liquid. the smell actually reminds me of wine- lots of fruit but a lot more alcohol in the smell than what I recall a young Inferno to have. I raised smell up to 5 after it warmed and the alcohol in the nose went down bring more of the raisin and pear and peach like smells out. Before the taste I will describe te mouthfeel as it is unique for how little bubble action we see: as soon as it's in my mouth it starts to lightly bubble and fizz. As if it was just waiting for me to taste it for it to come alive. First you get the fizz on your tongue - then you get the flavor. As the carbonation dies down in your mouth the different flavors of bread, fruits, and a metallic alcohol presence (that I associate with wine) come about. It isn't that it tasted different with each sip- it is well balanced between the bread and jam-like flavors with the alcohol resting underneath, but the way the flavor opens up in your mouth with the strong carbonation apparently starting to bubble in your mouth- then instantly ceasing to reveal a marvelously mixed flavor is something I don't recall at all from a young bottle, and it's quite an entertaining drinking experience. And it maintains that fizz-in-your-mouth quality to the end of the bottle. I would have liked to review alongside a fresh bottle but these are big bottles. Off my memory of a young bottle: main differences as far as flavor: the young bottle I remember had a somewhat sharp presence of yeast. It really stood out and brought a somewhat bitter funk flavor. Here that flavor is still present but is more entwined with the overallflavor rather than tasting like an element that stands out. You taste more of the fruity malt influence and a slightly dry metallic aftertaste. I didn't know what to expect- this is a first aged beer but damn it shows that it's worth the time.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Wasn't sure what to expect from this beer... poured very light, almost looked like a wit-beer... but the taste was great... paired with spiced chorizo sausage and cheese and spicy Gouda cheese and was great, brought out the flavor in this beer, perfect pairing...

4.65/5  rDev +16%

Biscuit laced with funk and light fruit dominate the nose.
The beer pours hazy gold with a giant rocky off-white foam cap.
Ripe fruit first strikes the palate with a hint of sweetness, funk, some orange, a hint of bubble gum, and spice as the beer grows dry to finish slightly tart with a spicy bitter emphasis. The bitterness is a crisp quinine like bitterness rather than a heavier resiny or grapefruit rind bitterness.
The body is very creamy with a fine soft effervescence.

4.65/5  rDev +16%

Pours a semi hazy pale straw color with a billowing fluffy pillow of head. Bright white giant with incredible lacing. Great looking beer. Subtle nose but unique. Some white peppercorn. Some earthy/grassy yeast and faint medicinal phenols.

Full body but clean and crisp. Big and complex yet subtle very much so like a true Belgian beer. Effervesenct carbonation and well blended flavors. Some clove, corriander, Orange peel, crisp lemon tart and grassy yeast. Can be enjoyed and dived into, picking our subtelties and flavors or just sipped on and enjoyed for the buzz. Alcohol hidden relatively well. Doesn't make it stand stand out incredibly but is extremely well brewed.

The spice of the yeast paired with the American hop presence is insane

Paired with sushi and spicy mayo, this beer really cleans the palate and clears the heat off the back of your tongue from spicy foods. Such an incredibly dry clean finish.

4.65/5  rDev +16%

Hmmm...hmmmm...What does this taste like?...Sweet?...Sour?...Bitter?...Tart? Wait, wait, let me try to convey the taste of this amazing renaissance man of beer. The Inferno Ale must just be the greatest, most diverse beer I have ever had. I keep taking sips from my tulip glass just to make sure I'm not going crazy. This beer really is sweet, sour, bitter, and tart at the same time. Wait a minute, I'm on sensory overload again. I apologize but I feel like the cop at the end of The Usual Suspects. I just can't get my head around this beer. There's definitely orange slice taste to this brew as well as hop attack. The cloudy color doesn't give you hints of what's about to enter your mouth. Most likely, you haven't tasted anything like this before; I don't mean just beer, I mean ANYTHING. The alcohol isn't too overpowering but you definitely know it's there like skeletons in your closet. Oh maybe I haven't tried enough beer yet and this is just like puppy love and what do I know? But this is as real as it gets from my perspective, I'll keep this one as one of the fondest memories I've ever had drinking.

4.62/5  rDev +15.2%

first things first, i inverted the bottle to get some of that yeasty goodness that had settled, i did notice what looked like long stick like sedament, which was kinda strange, i blamed the cork, but that was fully intact. so i poured it and got a nice fruit rind arouma, look is foggy golden with some roasted grains, again..cirus fruit rind(maybe lemon ad/or grapefrut) head retention is amazing. nice thick white foam, with good looking lacing. mouthfeel is robust, full bodied with slight bitterness. it does make you wana take a whiff with everysip. suttle spices in auroma. alcohol is noticeble, but not overpowering. great beer, i can see this stocked regulrly stocked in my fridge. big thanks to jay from stone liquor.

4.62/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: large three finger head on a pale hazy golden body.

S: very fruity, mostly lemon and banana, nice yeast presence.

T: corriander and strong herbal presencse with tropical fruit sweetness in the finish. avergae yeast presence. nicely tangy. The flavor is near perfect in blance, sweetness and belgian yeast character.

M: light body and high carbonation. semi dry finish.

Overall: this one is very well rounded and very drinkable. The rating is high but this one deserves it.

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

At the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL

A: Poured a slightly-hazy golden color with a nice, big white head.

S: Lots of citrus and yeastiness as well as sweetness from the malt; almost a light touch of honey.

T: Sweetness with lots of yeast--banana, citrus, and spice.

M: Very carbonated and quite light.

D: Very, very drinkable. This was my introduction to Lost Abbey and absolutely did not disappoint.

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pale almost straw color with a huge bone white head.

Smells really good. Orange, lemon zest, mint, apple skin, pepper, and some clove.

Starts with apple and lemon skin with a hint of sweetness. There is a spearmint like flavor in the middle. Spicy yeast, bark, and more apple skin towards the finish. The finish is bone dry and extremely thirst quenching.

Mouthfeel is crisp and oh so quenching. The carbonation tickles the tongue and leaves you wanting more.

Drinkability is beyond exceptional. Balance. Duvel is the obvious inspiration for the this beer. I never tasted a beer that came as close to Duvel's complexity and perfect balance. Highly recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

A: A translucent gold with a robust lace head
S: Clove, cinnamon, honey, melon fruit, and banana
T: Lots of spice--saison spices--with a little bitter hops at the end; I am thinking of a Saison Dupont, but a little bit richer and deeper flavors
M: Creamy and hoppy, coats the entire mouth very pleasantly, leaves a lingering hemp-like flavor from the hops on the tongue.
D: Lovely, very drinkable, one glass invites another; now where are my mussels and frites?

4.53/5  rDev +13%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours with a massive four finger head of white foam on top of a clear, golden body. The head exhibits excellent staying power and when it finally settles it leaves excellent lace.

S - Notes of pepper, pear, and coriander with sweet, pilsner malt.

T - Soft, sweet malt up front with notes of pepper and pear. Notes of honey in the middle with more pear, coriander and black pepper. The beer finishes with vanilla, black pepper, and some lightly herbal hops with balancing bitterness.

M - Medium-thick body, high carbonation, and an appropriately dry finish.

D - Very well done. The bottle conditioning really shows here and helps with both body and carbonation, making this one of if not the best American made Belgians that I have had to date.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

An amazing beer. Poured golden and extremely carbonated, perhaps as much as champagne. Even pouring the beer down the side of the glass created voluminous head that quickly bubbled out of the glass.

The aroma is full of sour fruits with only the slightest hint of sweetness. An intoxicating aroma. The taste follows in a similar vein--sour fruits (apple, pear, lemon). The brew was wildly carbonated and finished with a great dryness. Crisp and fruity, not altogether dissimilar from a sparkling wine but with a thicker body and fuller fruit explosion.

I've come to expect a lot from the Lost Abbey beers, but this one really blew me away. The best beer I've had by them hands down.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

I bought this bottle from South Bay Drugs & Liquor for US$10. Thanks Joey!

The ususal caged and corked 750ml bottle, it pours a slightly hazy yellow gold with a 2 finger head of foam and plenty of lacing.

The smell has notes of yeast, lemon, pepper, and a bit of clove. It's nice and I think, right for the style.

The taste is...yummy. Plenty of pepper and lemony flavour along with notes of yeast, banana, and some sweet and bready malt. I don't notice any of the clove that I mentioned in the smell but it's not really needed as the flavours do fine without it. It finishes very dry and, despite its abv, this is a very refreshing and quite drinkable BSPA.

It has a medium mouthfeel to me and the carbonation is also medium.

Hey, if I was given this in a blindfold test, I'd swear that this was made in Belgium...or by Russian River.;^) I'd love to do a side by side with this and RR Damnation! I doubt that there would be a loser.

Bottom line: Excellent example of the style and it is one that I'd seek out again. Highly recommended!

4.49/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours with a HUGE HEAD. I cannot overstate this point, this head is massive and just does not die. The beer itself is a pale golden hay color with VERY apparent carbonation. The bottle that I had is quite carbonated. It is slightly opaque. The nose is slightly sweet smelling, definitely yeast esters (think rip stone fruit, pears, peaches, etc) and has no discernible hop odor. The taste is slightly chalky, lots of yeast, some booze. Upfront the flavor is mostly malty sweet and then fades to a yeasty, bready, slightly boozy note.

Overall very nice, not quite my stile (a little boozy) but is a beer I would definitely try again.

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Typical L.A. bottle, caged and corked, w/o freshness/vintage info...pours light yellowy apricot, cloudy, huge off white head, rocky cap, merainge, tons of lace, the whole nine! nice...fruity, yeasty, flavorful on the nostrils..yummy..tasty, fruity, complex, flavorful, thoroughly enjoyable, pineapple, candied apricots, vanilla, honey, lemon/lime initially, then more hoppy, some alcohol and gin notes floating around...love the style, the Port beers in general, so this one is a natural for me...wish I could find Port offerings closer then Massachusetts!

4.45/5  rDev +11%

750 corked and caged bottle purchased from the brewery at Port's Second Anniversary Party for nine dollars, split with my friend last night, poured into a Guinness pub glass

A-Golden yellow with some orange tint, body is a little murky and hazy, big 1 1/4 inch foamy white head, stuck around for close to ten minutes, nice retention, good lacing at the beginning

S-Hoppiness, grassy accents, pineapple, strawberries, vanilla, bit of alcohol, other citrus, black pepper, other faint spices, bready malt, biscuit, hay, lemon juice, and orange peel

T-This brew tasted a lot lighter than it smelled the first few sips, once it warmed a little is when the flavor really popped out, some hops at first, then some chewy malt in the middle mixed with some subtle fruit, mostly apples, then some more hops in the finish along with lemon and oranges, aftertaste was dry from all the bitterness which is what separated this from other beers of its kind, very nice balance, enjoyable all the way through

M-Crisp, dry, slightly sweet, and fruity mouthfeel, the hops in this one provided a nice bitterness, body was medium, lots of carbonation and this one was certainly a gusher, taste lingered a good amount of time too

D-Could have drank this whole bottle but it would get heavy after that, not much sweetness and not too syrupy but it is still far from being light, alcohol is hidden very well though, goes down easily because of its smoothness

Was hoping this was going to be released to the general public after seeing it offered in Michael Jackson's Rare Beer Club, very similar to Duvel and even better in some ways, like the hop profile more for sure, one of the better Belgian-style ales I have tasted lately, would definitely drink again, hope to see some in stores out here in the Inland Empire, recommended

4.44/5  rDev +10.7%

Got to try this tasty treat courtesy of my buddy who works with the Lost Abbey crew -- thanks Kenan!

A: Hazy, cloudy straw/pale gold color to Inferno, with big-time carbonation. I may have poured a little over-zelously, but the head was big, frothy & very slow to subside. As others noted, even after the head recedes, there was still a solid lacy topping of bubbles.

S: A very spicy bouquet - definitely get the clove & coriander others have noted, but also almost a hot pepper or papprika smell to it. There's definitely a strong wheaty/bready smell to it as well.

T: The pepper comes out in the taste as well -- almost like someone sprinkled some on top of the beer. Quite a lot of different tastes came out, but overall the bitterness overpowers all. The malt that is there is very dry & subdued -- like it was beat into submission by some wild wheat or something.

M: Surprisingly light body, given the smells I got from this beer. After all the spices & adjuncts I smelled, I expected a big heavy taste, but this is light, almost crisp.

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

A- Perfectly clear light golden, tons of carbonation bubbles, fairly large foamy head.

S- Pear is the predominant fruit, a little earthy Belgian yeast products but not overpowering. Smell seemed pretty potent at the start but now I'm having to search for it.

T- hits with a little earthiness. That classic Belgian earthiness. Peppery. Lingering fruitiness as well as that peppery finish. Sometimes the fruit hits first, it depends on how you sip it.

M- Very good, light, carbonation is pretty prevalent but the bubbles are fine in texture. Finishes quite dry.

D- easy.

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Bottleneck's Bottled On Date is smeared but I can make out the "13" at the end.

A- From a gentle pour comes a massive three inches of off-white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a large center bump of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves a broken ring behind. Once the sediment is introduced, it creates a murky, wispy cloud inside the body.

S- Effervescent Belgian yeast reminds me of a saison since there's a touch of soily funk.

T- Clean flavor of Belgian yeast brings notes of apple, pear and some banana. The alcohol is incredibly well-hidden. Almost has a white wine dryness to it.

M- Crisp and bright with medium-high carbonation and a light body.

O- Definitely one of my new top 5 BSPAs. Has all the components that I look for in the style: Champagne-like carbonation, is dry yet still somewhat sweet and has a yeast presence that's almost perfectly balanced toward the malt flavor.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Enjoyed a 750mL bottle of Lost Abbey's Inferno Ale, a Belgian-style strong pale ale, poured into my trusty Dogfish head snifter, on Sunday, May 27. I picked this bottle up at the excellent Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont, MA (anyone in the Greater Boston area who loves beer must make a visit). Review is from notes.

Appearance (4/5): First pour (a very careful, slow one) produces a massive three-finger white head that recedes slowly. I knew this beer had to be poured carefully from the get-go, since right after popping the cork foam rushed into the neck of the bottle--thankfully, it wasn't a "gusher." The light, bubbly head sits atop a clear, light amber-colored body, a color typical to the beer's style. The beer looks great, even though the impressive head means the first sip is delayed.

Smell (4.5/5): Right after popping the cork you can smell an excellent sweet, fruity aroma wafting from the bottle. When poured into the glass, it becomes much more pronounced. It smells of pear and green apple and sugar. Despite this brew's strength, not a hint of alcohol can be detected in the nose. While Inferno Ale smells sweet and fruity, it's not overdone; rather it has an exceptional and impressive balance. Honestly, this American-made ale has one of the best aromas I've ever come across in a beer. Simply excellent.

Taste (4.5/5):, A spicy, coriander-like flavor from the yeast dominates the foretaste. It give way to, and melds with, the fruity flavors of apple and pear that the beer's aroma so invitingly hinted at. This sweetness fades in the finish--the hops subdue that sweetness and the coriander-like flavor from the yeast comes back to dominate. A slight warming from the alcohol comes through in the back. I am also very impressed by how well the beer warms. As time passes, the beer's aroma and flavor are both subtly changed and enhanced.

Mouthfeel (4/5): The mouthfeel is medium-light and features appropriate carbonation (medium-low) for a strong Belgian pale ale. The mouthfeel doesn't blow me away, but then again, it seems to do everything right. Absolutely no complaints.

Overall (4.5/5): The Lost Abbey's Inferno Ale is one of the best American takes on a Belgian ale of ANY style that I have had the pleasure of drinking. Its aroma and taste are both top notch; its appearance and mouthfeel both help to enhance the former two and the overall drinking experience. This is another great ale from Tomme and the gang at The Lost Abbey. If you're into strong Belgian pale ales, seek it out.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 750 ml bottle dated 12/4/2012 into teku glass.

A: Pours a hazy sunshine yellow with a gigantic 4-5 finger soapy white head that seems to linger forever. Some decent resididual lacing.

S: Belgian yeast esters, banana, clove, and some nice earthy funk.

T: Some of the Belgian candy sugar sweetness mixed with some nice farmhouse funk. Slight citrus notes.

M: Crazy big head, and steady stream of bubbles even considering the age and ABV. Finishes a bit dry and crisp.

O: One of the best pale ales that I have had to date. Need to find some more of this one soon.

Inferno Ale from The Lost Abbey