1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Inferno Ale - The Lost Abbey

Inferno AleInferno Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 05-04-2008)
3.58/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle poured into a cervoise, Inferno Ale is a murky gold with lots streamers forming a large, very rocky white head that leaves lots of spidery lace. Wow, very nice.

Smell is semi-sweet, dusty and almost sour - wheat like and a bit grainy, but with some soft fruity esters to open more as it warms.

Taste sweeter, fruity, dry, some graininess and herbal hops on the finish. Nothing to crazy or complex, just a nice little BSPA. The lingering aftertaste isn't my favorite, I don't care for the hop used, fuggles or EKGs maybe?

Mouthfeel is crisp, with a medium body, perhaps a touch heavier then I'd prefer, but I'm really nit-picking.

Drinkability isn't too bad, it's tasty and fairly digestible. Overall, I'm a little underwhelmed. But since it's more expensive and much less available then it's inspiration, there's really no need for me to bother with this again when I'm in the mood for such a beer. I also think it's a bit rougher then Duvel, and reminds me that I haven't had one of those in way too long.

ccrida, Aug 09, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Presented in a 750ml caged and corked bottle. Cost me $9.99 at Lone Hill Liquors. Poured into my trusty Duvel tulip glass.
Appearance: clear golden color, vigorous carbonation, topped with a fluffy white head that settled down to a half inch head with nice sheets of lace.
Smell: a bit boozy which is a bit surprising since Inferno weighed in at 8.5%ABV. Other than that, it struck me as a bit bland with only modest spicy or floral aromas and a mild bready maltiness.
Taste: again, nothing here really jumped out and "wow'd" me. The malt bill was rather subdued and had a bit of hay and bread aspect. The hops side of the equation was equally moderate with a slight peppery spiciness. The alcohol flavor asserted itself and left a slight warmth down the throat with each swallow, especially as it neared room temp.
Feel: creamy, full with a dry finish.
Overall, not as spectacular as I had envisioned. A decent take on the style but my wife ended up liking Inferno better than I did. Still, worth a try.

Boilermaker88, Aug 07, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

a: hazy pale orange body, thin white head.

s: a mild aroma of honey and spice.

t: pale malt, honey, mild floral and spice notes. Light bitterness in the finish. very balanced.

m: light with a smooth and creamy texture and a dry finish.

d: a nice belgian ale. well made and easy drinking. not nearly as sinful as the label suggests.

thanks to psprings for the bottle

BradLikesBrew, Aug 04, 2008

A- Great hazy yellow golden color, almost like a German hefe.

S- A nice sweet fruit smell with a slight bit of bread smell as well. Very fragrant.

T- A slight sour taste that comes through, with a good golden raisin taste. There is a bread taste that was present in the smell, and is present in the taste. There is a slight soapy taste there as well.

M- Feels good on the mouth, the carbination is there in your mouth and can add some bite to the tongue.

D- Easy to drink. I will have to get some more.

Wetpaperbag, Aug 04, 2008

Served in my Delirium Tremens tulip. Poured a hazy orange-gold with a one-inch foamy white head with tiny ringlet craters embedded in the cap. Eventually settles into a thin, consistent skim with some webs of lacing that adhere as the volume of the brew diminishes. Scent of citrus, belgian yeast, pepper and spice. Taste is tart up-front with light fruity esters in the mix (perhaps pear and melon), a hint of candi sugar and a hops presence detectable at the finish. Mouthfeel is light- to medium-bodied with a fair amount of carbonation that tingles throughout the mouth and a slightly tart finish that lingers between quaffs. Alcohol was well-hidden and there is a nice complexity to this offering.

Jwale73, Jul 27, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Pretty clear and golden, fluffy white head with pretty good retention and lively carbonation. Nice smell that is well rounded. Some peppery scents along with hops. Fruity scents, more tart than sweet smelling. Light biscuity bread and honey. Taste is much of the same. Apple skins, pear, grape. Very well balanced and not much alcohol coming through. Good bitterness level with a tartness that keep it in check. Lightly sweet but not very much so at all. Nice crisp mouthfeel with an excellent carbonation. Overall, this was a joy to drink. Not much you can dislike here.

Thanks to Kempleton and gford217 for a bottle of this!

ncvbc, Jul 25, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +5%

750 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a chalice. Love the artwork.

Pours a cloudy golden hue with a fluffy two finger head that quickly dies down to a thin layer. Swirling the glass leaves some nice webbing on the sides of the glass. Smell consists of spices, yeast, and pepper up front. Pear, apple, and grapes lightly tickle the nose as well. Some honey and hops can be detected too, nice smelling brew. Taste begins with sweet citrus quickly followed by white bread and honey. Midway some pale malts and dry hops emerge on the tongue with a touch of booze. Aftertaste is light and fruity with a good amount of grapes and banana leaving the mouth somewhat dry. Medium body with a soft feel to it. Carbonation is strong and plays well into this style of beer. Nothing about this beer is too over the top and that's what I like about it. The 8.5% abv is pretty difficult to find, so be careful with this one. Anoter chart topper for Lost Abbey, keep 'em comin'!

BeerTruth, Jul 23, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a slightly hazy golden with a pretty good initial head that ultimately fades to a thin ring. Smells quite fruity with tropical fruits, juicy and a bit sweet while maintaining a decent balance. Tastes quite nice. Smooth and even a bit waxy with some restrained fruitiness, some firm malt, a touch of sweetness and a bit of short, sharp bitterness that is pretty well integrated to the overall taste. Very smooth and even a touch soft in the mouth. Not at all too sweet. Very nice. Starts more like a tripel but mellows into a more Belgian pale taste as it opens up.

Georgiabeer, Jul 17, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Smell: Sweet malt and fruit (pear?) on the nose
Appearance: Cloudy for the style. dark golden color (not straw), a little dark for the style?
Taste: Great malt flavor, with a fruity middle (pear?) and a nice hop bitterness in the finish.
Mouthfeel: A little undercarbonated, but still bright. Great dry finish!
Drinkability: Very tasty easy to drink beer. Great for the summer. The alcohol (8.5%) is very well hidden. The hops used are a little too long lasting in the finish and not my favorite varietal.

WeeObese, Jul 15, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +16.9%

Hmmm...hmmmm...What does this taste like?...Sweet?...Sour?...Bitter?...Tart? Wait, wait, let me try to convey the taste of this amazing renaissance man of beer. The Inferno Ale must just be the greatest, most diverse beer I have ever had. I keep taking sips from my tulip glass just to make sure I'm not going crazy. This beer really is sweet, sour, bitter, and tart at the same time. Wait a minute, I'm on sensory overload again. I apologize but I feel like the cop at the end of The Usual Suspects. I just can't get my head around this beer. There's definitely orange slice taste to this brew as well as hop attack. The cloudy color doesn't give you hints of what's about to enter your mouth. Most likely, you haven't tasted anything like this before; I don't mean just beer, I mean ANYTHING. The alcohol isn't too overpowering but you definitely know it's there like skeletons in your closet. Oh maybe I haven't tried enough beer yet and this is just like puppy love and what do I know? But this is as real as it gets from my perspective, I'll keep this one as one of the fondest memories I've ever had drinking.

JRed, Jul 12, 2008

Many thanks to Dyan for the opportunity to try this "new to me" beer from Lost Abbey. Was told this is Port Brewing's take on Duvel, and one can definitely see the similarity in the two beers.

The beer pours a hazy honey color with good head retention and lacing. I don't get a lot on the nose, but there is some noticeable honey, white pepper and even sour funk. On the palate this beer is quite intriguing. While moderately sweet, there is considerable spice in the flavor profile with some noticeable white pepper in the finish. As a result, this beer has a fairly dry finish, and it really does remind me of the duvel. The beer has a medium bodied mouthfeel, and for the most part the alcohol seems pretty well disguised in this beer.

A very interesting beer, with one of the more complex flavor profiles I've come across. While very good, I have to say that there are other Lost Abbey beers I've liked more then this one.

John_M, Jul 11, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -6%

Much like other posts this was an above average beer but didn't wow me. Should be some further development as bottle fermintation takes place over the next couple years. Minerals, some roasted banana leaf, mild oil citrus. Weird to have a "mineral" taste as they make their own reverse osmosis water, and don't run that water over any type of stone or rock to allow the water to pick up minerals and flavor. Though this beer still expresses minerals? I do enjoy that flavor in this beer. Would buy again but only a couple for the next couple years. $9 locall I believe, so not terrible expensive.

paytoplay, Jul 07, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

750ml

This is another great brew I get the opportunity to try thanks to BitterBill, thanks again Bill! Inferno pours a glowing setting sun golden. The head was a little more tamed than what I expected. I expected Duvel-esque but instead got something along the lines of any other great pale Belgian. The head dissipated fairly quickly to a skim coat with a solid ring around the glass. Carbonation bubbles rush along the side of the glass to keep the ring alive and well. A sticky patchwork of carbonation is left behind after each drink. The second pour leaves nonstop sheet lacing down the glass.

The aroma instantly draws me in. The first thing I'm hit with is a basket full of sunshine ripe orchard fruits, pear, green apple, apricot, and peach all in that order from most to least. There's a strong yeast presence floating back and forth that is a bit dusty with a sprinkling of white pepper. My guess would be that candi sugar is used in this brew from the sweet pale maltiness that abounds and makes this beer mouthwatering. This smells like it's going to be a real treat.

The flavor is there but falls just short of the aroma. A mildly sweet alcohol soaked pear leads the way in the flavor department. There's a nice spiciness to this beer that includes a mild but grassy hoppiness, white pepper, and maybe even something along the lines of bitter orange peel, although that may be a yeast byproduct. The green apple and apricots also make a nice showing to support the already deep fruity flavor of this beer.

The body is nice and soft with a quick moving carbonation that fits the rather loose style very well. The spiciness gets left behind briefly as the beer works its way over my tongue quickly. Although there's lively carbonation it's very soft on the tongue and in no way aggressive.

Inferno goes down very easily. I could see the alcohol catching up to me very easily. The flavors are good, refreshing, and deep with only the smallest hint of alcohol.

Yet another quality brew from Lost Abbey. I'm a big fan of the Duvel style Belgian Strong Pales and this is quite a good version. The fruitiness is all over the place and I dig it. Thanks again for the treat Bill!

joe1510, Jul 06, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Clear, pale gold. Foam holds steadily backed by streamy carbonation. Maybe a faint chill haze.

Bready malt aroma with sugary sweet edge to it. Mild spiciness mixed in, smells like it would not be that alcoholic. Decent hop backbone for a Belgian style.

The taste has a light dryness. It is initially peppery with a floral hop tinge, balanced by the breadiness of the malt. Again this doesn't seem like 8.5% ABV, which is nice, so be careful. Finishes with light bitterness, the mouthfeel is overall solid.

One must learn to accept that Lost Abbey beers build up a lot of expectation. This one was not amazing, but overall I find it's a good Belgian Pale, and I would try it again...

bennetj17, Jul 05, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Lost Abbey labels are really nice and the artwork on this is no exception. I heard this was similar to Duvel which I had for the first time two weeks ago. This is a nice golden straw color as the label states. The smell is very hard for me to describe but it is nice. This is easy to drink and I can see some similarities to Duvel but I think I like this better because it seems less carbonated. The only thing I don't like about this beer is the price. This seems more like an $8 beer (Red Barn and such) than an $11 beer.

ArrogantB, Jun 27, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Got a couple of these on a VERY RECENT trade with jakekohut (Got the box and cracked this yesterday)!!! Thanks again, Jake! This is my first opportunity trying the revered "Lost Abbey" series of beer. I actually split this one with pimpp last night at my place and took notes - cheers!

The label, bottle, cork & cage are all 5 out of 5 for me, I love the presentation.

A: She poured a murky straw color into my chalice. A few copper/reddish highlights can be seen as well with no sediment on the pour. It had a nice creamy off-white head on the pour, but after the pour settled, no bubbles can be seen fizzing to the top.

S: A mix of light % indiscernible spices, honey and alcohol and maybe a pinch of clove.

T/M: Light amounts of candied sweets, citrus, honey and bready malts. Medium-bodied and very dry throughout the entire pour. Mild hops are present, but do not really add bitterness. The nose is a good representation of the taste of this one. Not overly complex, but definitely a nice sipper - one you should sit back, contemplate and enjoy.

D: This is in my top 5 of favorite American crafted Belgian-style beers. Well crafted, I am ready to try more!

beachbum1975, Jun 26, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into a snifter its a hazy golden color, about an inch of ivory head. Head is pretty creamy looking and recedes to a thin lace with a fuller rim and some stick.

Smells of yeast, lemon, a light malt sweetness, some spice and a hint of alcohol.

Taste is quite dry and herbal with quite a grainy character to it. Lemon and pear give it some fruitiness, and it's very yeasty with some peppery spice, too. Gets bitter and grainy through the finish, and that plus the dry character leaves me licking my mouth searching for some sweetness to offset it. There is some alcohol here, too.

Mouthfeel, as mentioned, is quite dry, and the dryness and lingering bitterness take away from it a bit, at least for me. It's on the plus side of a medium body otherwise and is pretty crisply carbonated.

This is not my favorite Lost Abbey offering, although it is definitely worth a try. A good brew, but not necessarily my preference.

number1bum, Jun 26, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -1%

Pours a deep golden color with a big off-white head that falls quickly leaving little lace and thin to no head.

Aroma is fruity sweet and of hops.

Full hop flavor with first sip. Slightly bitter. Malts and sweetness comes through at end.

Medium bodied with little carbonation.

Nice, I enjoyed it and am sure I will equally enjoy my next one.

dstc, Jun 25, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Golden color with a long lasting foam, but it doesn't have the fun mountainous shapes of Duvel. Nose doesn't offer a lot up, but has a light hint of fruitiness. Flavor is similar to Duvel, but doesn't have quite the authenticity or depth. A lot of light fruit flavors are present. I like it pretty well. Well made and a nice American Belgian style.

Crosling, Jun 21, 2008

I don't like saisons/farmhouse ales, by and large. This is probably as close as a beer can come to that style while still remaining enjoyable to me.

Pours a bright gold, with some orange overtones. Moderately large white foam head.

Smells like wheat, grass, citrus, and tons of yeast. Some spiciness (cloves? coriander?) in the nose. The taste pretty much delivers on that promise, except the bready/yeastiness is really, really pronounced. There's definitely some bananas, cloves, and lemony citrus in there. I could use either a bit more carbonation or a heavier mouthfeel: preferably both.

Very refreshing, dangerously drinkable. A bit underrated. Glad I bought a few, as this appears to be a one time deal.

Overlord, Jun 21, 2008

I was pleased to see that another Lost Abbey beer has made its way to the East Coast. This was bought at Marty's Liquors in Newton today. I love the Dante esq looking artwork on the bottle. Just a side note; this was tasted, as recommended by some, alongside some Duvel, which apparently shares some of the same features. Pour in to a sniffer resulted in an orange/amber color, with a moderately large white head. Nose is based in fruit, with a bit of a cinnamon gum aroma. Must and alcohol, similar to a farmhouse ale in some ways, also show themselves in the nose. Taste is wonderfully floral, with spices all around. It transitions from sweet, to tart to dry, to slightly spicy within the span of a single sip. Body is full, but the alcohol is not particularly noticeable in the taste, very well hidden in fact. This one is easy to sip as well, but be careful, as it is a decently strong ale. Overall this is a very solid offering from The Lost Abbey. Not my favorite, but still great. For those that are wondering on the side by side tasting, Duvel won by a tiny amount. Inferno is more concentrated on complex flavor and aroma, whereas Duvel is all about mastering the feel and drinkability. I highly recommend putting the two down against each other, as it was a very fun experience.

jamie2dope, Jun 19, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

750ml corked/caged. Poured into a Delirim tulip.

A: Dusky amber colored. 1" of finely packed bubbles, leaving wispy trails of lace.

S: Yeasty. Fruity. Slight spice.

T: Sweet fruit and caramel flavors, with some hop astringency at the end. The taste is difficult for me to describe, but it does remind me of both Duvel and Damnation in terms of flavor profile.

M: Creamy texture, very filling in the mouth. Rolls around nicely.

D: A very refreshing brew. Alcohol is hidden very well.

k3n, Jun 15, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

A : Pours a nice hazy straw colored with a good white head that sticks around for a little bit.

S : I get some nice spicy hops, some floral, and a little fruit

T : Good hops, not overpowering. It's got a little citrus flavor along with some spice (mainly pepper)

M : Really nice with a nice dryness to it

D : Really good and another great beer from them that I wouldn't mind having again.

mhewes, Jun 14, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

a. pours a cloudy copper/orange with short, white head of non-uniform bubbles that dissipates rapidly

s. effervescent, bitter-smelling, champagne

t. wheat, spicy (coriander?), dry finish is made of bitter hops, and can really taste water minerals

m. mouthfeel is light, slightly watery

d. very drinkable, perfect as a summer porch brew

this is a belgian-style pale, with emphasis on pale--the hops dominate the flavor, with little malt balance, missing that great fluffy floating head that i love so much

lifebeer, Jun 13, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Orange Rind Wine with an eye opener. This princess pale is into biting and scratching. Crispy youth, sticky hat of a head, refreshing every last inch of my inebriated body. She's my Citrus honey bunny...hopping heavy. Royal, Imperial qualities, behind an innocent, surrendering appearance. Humble aromas and healthy, light skin mask a freaky nature. We may never meet again, we may indulge every day, but I will never be this beer's friend. Im gunna savor every last drop.

SeanRedd, Jun 11, 2008