Inferno Ale - The Lost Abbey

Inferno AleInferno Ale

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: scottoale on 05-04-2008

Corruption, Greed and Lust, they’re all represented on he books today. Tomorrow they’ll be stringing Gluttony, Desire and Sloth. Go ahead, tell yourself you’re better than all of them. But you can’t. Hell can be funny like that. Down here it’s all just sin. Everyone here is screwed just like you. They don’t care who you sliced, diced or cheated. No one is escaping this heinous place.

Your roommate is an axe murderer. Eerily, he’s not threatening. How can he be? The Fallen Angel owns your body, mind and soul. As such, no one can take your life. It’s already been taken. Or was it given? Neither matters. Did you seriously think you were living a virtuous life? At least Satan serves beer in Hell. He brews it himself right there in that flame stoked cauldron. Rumor has it the beer is straw yellow, bone dry and simply labeled Inferno.
3.65/5  rDev -9%

A - pours a cloudy marigold color. Very foamy. Needs time to settle. Thick moose like white foam eventually settles and slowly declines leaving thick give of lacing on the glass.

S - nose is very bready/yeasty. Lots of fruit too. Notes of apples, pears and banana peel. Some notes of peppery spice and hints of clove round out the nose.

T - soft bready dough flavors up front with a bit of sweetness. Sublet apple and pear fruit character along with a zippy lemony acidity in the middle. Spicy pepper and clove are bright on the back palate. Finishes quick and dry.

M - high carbonation with lots of tight bubbles. Body is medium with a texture somewhere inbetween watery and creamy.

O - good beer. Nice interpretation of the style. For a beer called inferno I find it quite refreshing.

3.64/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hazy golden colour with a moderate sized white head. Fair head retention.

Sharp citrussy aroma with distinct clove and pepper phenols. Nice balance of fruit and spice. Sweet with some alcohol notes too.

Soft, sweet malt with a sharpness that cleans it out. Solid fruitiness and touches of spice. A little musty. Good.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Could be spritzier.

A solid Tripel. Good flavour even if there isn't a twist. Carbonation a little lacking.

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Presented in a 750ml caged and corked bottle. Cost me $9.99 at Lone Hill Liquors. Poured into my trusty Duvel tulip glass.
Appearance: clear golden color, vigorous carbonation, topped with a fluffy white head that settled down to a half inch head with nice sheets of lace.
Smell: a bit boozy which is a bit surprising since Inferno weighed in at 8.5%ABV. Other than that, it struck me as a bit bland with only modest spicy or floral aromas and a mild bready maltiness.
Taste: again, nothing here really jumped out and "wow'd" me. The malt bill was rather subdued and had a bit of hay and bread aspect. The hops side of the equation was equally moderate with a slight peppery spiciness. The alcohol flavor asserted itself and left a slight warmth down the throat with each swallow, especially as it neared room temp.
Feel: creamy, full with a dry finish.
Overall, not as spectacular as I had envisioned. A decent take on the style but my wife ended up liking Inferno better than I did. Still, worth a try.

3.62/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a big initial head with decent lacing and a pale yellow color.

smell is of lemon pepper and some grainy pils with faint saaz hops and a big healthy dose of clove with a minimal banana undertone.

taste is dry and grainy from pils malt. incredibly clovey with a mild noble hop flavor and bitterness.

this beer is incredibly dry and effervescent.

the huge clove and dry body make this beer a little less drinkable. still a good example of the style.

3.62/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Straw-lemon-sun-honey-yellow with about one inch of white head. Decent lacing.

Smell: Funky yeast with some bananas, floral character, light honey, poached pear, green apple, vanilla, coriander

Taste: Funky yeast, bananas, a little honey, poached pear, green apples, some white pepper. Very bready. Lots of reviewers got hops, but I barely tasted any.

Mouthfeel: light-medium body, a little more carbonation than I would like

Drinkability: Didn't finish the whole bomber. It only says 8.5%, but I only had a glass and it felt like 15%.

Decent, but Duvel is much, much better.

3.61/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12.7 oz. bottle for under $6. Bright gold body, billowing white head, sticky chunks of lacing inside the glass. Visible trails of carbonation rising from the center. Lasting ring and skim action.

Dusty wafer candy sweetness, fruity Belgian yeast.

Effervescent body, light and bubbly, dry aftertaste. Dried apricot and pear flavors, some floral notes also. Crisp with some dusty sweetness lingering, yeast esters, very slight hint of alcohol as it warms. Decent, but probably not something i'd go for again as the sweetness limits the appeal personally.

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a booming, frothy white head over a fairly murky golden to brown body. Quite a bit of carbonation flowing up.

Aromas are full of yeasty Belgian-spice over apples and plums.

Fairly crisp on the palate, with a lot of natural yeasty spice dominating. Bitter, earthy/leafy aftertaste stuck with me for a while. Mouthfeel was exceptionally dry - really good for the style.

The bitterness could've used a touch more sweet balance, but it's a really nice beer overall.

Updated Notes: 5/8/14:
From corked and caged 375ml that was bottled 5/29/12... nearly 2 years ago.

Carbonation is way down from my first review, as there was barely any head, and virtually no prickly carbonation in the body. Much fruitier and sweeter than my original review. Still plenty of yeasty spiciness, and reminded me of a fiery hell when I first took a sip of this one. Bitterness is way down. Must've mellowed after sitting for two years.

3.59/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Resembles Duvel in the pour with its light, milky golden color. Huge head, looks like a bubble bath. As many fingers thick as you want it to be, good retention and a thick, sticky lace.

A great combination of tropical fruits and peppery Belgian yeast. Lurking in the background, I have to admit there is something warming.

Dare I say, yeast forward? The fruits come across in the taste as well as the smell, but the yeast takes over quickly and never lets go. Somewhere along the way, the alcohol puts its stamp on things and dominates.

A duo of extremes...spice and heat. The yeast provides for extreme spiciness and the alcohol brings fire to the party. There's an instance of sweet and then it's nothing but spice followed by pain from the burn. My tongue is already ruined after just a few sips. The back of my tongue is starting to feel it and there's a tingle in the my throat. Inferno is appropriately named. It doesn't help that there's an amazing amount of carbonation to keep the hot going.

It's not all that easy to drink. It smells so good, but then it's just painful to finish. I have a whole bomber to get through and I have no idea how. This misses the mark.

3.59/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle poured into a cervoise, Inferno Ale is a murky gold with lots streamers forming a large, very rocky white head that leaves lots of spidery lace. Wow, very nice.

Smell is semi-sweet, dusty and almost sour - wheat like and a bit grainy, but with some soft fruity esters to open more as it warms.

Taste sweeter, fruity, dry, some graininess and herbal hops on the finish. Nothing to crazy or complex, just a nice little BSPA. The lingering aftertaste isn't my favorite, I don't care for the hop used, fuggles or EKGs maybe?

Mouthfeel is crisp, with a medium body, perhaps a touch heavier then I'd prefer, but I'm really nit-picking.

Drinkability isn't too bad, it's tasty and fairly digestible. Overall, I'm a little underwhelmed. But since it's more expensive and much less available then it's inspiration, there's really no need for me to bother with this again when I'm in the mood for such a beer. I also think it's a bit rougher then Duvel, and reminds me that I haven't had one of those in way too long.

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance - Pours a very clear golden straw color, with a fat 2 and a half finger clumpy white head. Carbonation bubbles are present and jump up the center of the glass. Lacing is fairly present with soft patches left scattered around the glass.

Smell - Lite floral notes and some soft pear and apple. A spicy creaminess to the aroma as well. Not overly spicy, but just enough to give it a little edge.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Pretty dry, but noticeably sweet as well. Big wheat taste with a sticky honey flavor. Carbonation helps to keep it alive as this is an overall smooth beer. Spicyness as well as clove mixes in with the pear and apple melon taste.

Drinkability - First Lost Abbey i've had, and thought this one was a little too straight forward. Expected something bigger that would pop in your mouth more. Not a bad entrance into this brewery, and hoping to try more of their offerings.

3.56/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks goes out to my doppelganger for sharing this one with me on Super Bowl Sunday as a pre-game snack! Bottle on 10/5/11! Served from bottle into a Bell’s stemmed tulip. Poured a hazy golden yellow with a pure white five finger head that subsided to three fingers very slowly. It maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, floral, floral hop, spices, banana, and fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, banana, clove, fruit, floral, floral hop, earth, and spices. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly decent brew. The appearance was pretty nice on this one. There was a lot going on in the flavor of this one that really made you guess on the style of this brew. The aroma was pretty complex too. Definitely worth trying if you have a chance to try it, but I know I would love to try this one on tap to be able to see how different this one is from the bottle.

3.56/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Pours a very murky golden orange color with a medium white head that is very fluffy and hangs around for a bit. Aroma is EXTREMELY spicy! Probably the spiciest scents I've ever gotten in a beer. There are also hints of green apple and Belgian yeast, but the spice overpowers by a lot. Taste is initially lemon and green apples followed by tons of spice and pepper with hints of banana and a lot of yeasty flavors. There are also light bread flavors. Beer finishes with very boozy. Strong alcohol flavor...like vodka. Mouthfeel is nice, and clean...very crisp and full. Drinkability is fair...this is no Duvel, that's for sure!

3.53/5  rDev -12%

It doesn't matter if you have hands as soft as clouds, as disciplined as a Kensho master, and as quiet as a moth fart. When you pour this beer, you WILL get a five-finger head that lasts longer than Oprah's ego trips.

As for the taste, it's all right. This is probably what a witbier tastes like if someone cuts it with Everclear. It's very strong and boozy, but still highlights the coriander and banana you would expect.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled middle of 2010. Poured from 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A - Murky straw yellow with a robust white head which leaves extensive lacing.

S - Decidedly Belgian with a fruity ester component and a strong Belgian yeast aroma.

T - Belgian funk and a very sweet malt flavor profile. No hops detected.

M - Very rich in carbonation with a medium body.

Not my favorite of the style. Very sweet. Hides the alcohol well.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This brew poured out as a pretty nice looking hazy yellow color. Not really what I expected when I read the name of the beer. The head that formed as I poured this one out was big, rocky and white. Pretty good lacing on this one. The smell of the beer gave off a decent amount of Belgian yeast aromas and some sweet malts. The taste of the beer was rather mild also, I thought that maybe there would be a touch of peppery spice in there but I wasn't getting any from what I could tell. The mouthfeel of this brew is pretty smooth, a very easy going drink. Overall I liked it, I found it to be pretty good and would probably drink it again one day.

3.52/5  rDev -12.2%

No pop when opened.

The complexity of the aroma surprised me. I was expecting a muddled whiff. I got a clear breakdown of apple, pears, pepper, tartness, orange peel and yeasty. Overall this reminded me of La Fin Du Monde (which I love). But there was something about this beer that "bored" me. I didn't finish my share (8.5% is a lot for something you're not enjoying). I can't put my finger on the why. The taste was pleasant with a good mix of flavors. Somewhere it didn't all come together for me.

I think maybe it needs a food pairing instead of solo drinking.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Bottle courtesy of Bu11zeye: Poured a deep golden color ale with a medium size foamy head with good retention and good lacing. Aroma consists of semi-sweet Belgian-style malt with some light alcohol but no fruity ester as I had expected. Taste is a mix between some sweet Belgian malt with some hint of alcoholic phenols but no signs or fruity yeast ester or floral hops notes. Full body with good carbonation and some alcohol showing. I can't say that this is bad but it is still somewhat short from Duvel.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

750ml corked and caged bottle.

This one poured a medium and hazy golden color with an averaged sized white head. Aromas of yeast, fruity, some breadiness, and citrus. Tastes of fruitiness, yeast, spices, and citrus. Body a little on the lighter side.

Notes from 8/13/08

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

I poured this one from a 750ml corked and caged brown bottle into my St. Bernardus chalice glass.

A= This beer poured a clear pale yellow color with a 1.5" snow white head. Loads of carbonation release helped retain the head for some time.

S= The aroma was very muted and consisted mainly of pears, a cracker thin maltiness, and some dry yeastiness. Plus some alcohol of course.

T= This ale tasted of thin bakery malts, fruity and peppery yeast, a hard-to-describe chalky dryness, and a dry alcohol finish. Not great but not bad either.

MF= Lighter medium body which is lifted a lot by the effervescent carbonation.

D= I wanted to like this beer, and it was not bad by any means, it just left me not caring about it. Sort of a "meh" experience for me. I don't regret trying it and will do so again someday, but this time I was not very impressed.

2009 rate.

25oz bottle. Surprisingly clear and light golden pour, with a medium white head. Yeasty and fruity. Very reminiscent of some staple belgium strong blonde offerings. Light tropical fruits balanced by a moderate hop presence. Nothing to freak out about, but good.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours cloudy golden yellow with a thick fluffy head that leaves sheets of sticky lacing.

Aroma is candied sugar, and sweet malt. Very lemony. Nice bit of yeasty spices - notably coriander.

Taste is similar to the nose. Candy sweetness, lemon grass and orange peel. Strong herbal, yeasty funk character in the finish. Mildly bitter.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Soft and smooth.

Good, but not great. I'm missing some depth and complexity. Still worth a try.

3.48/5  rDev -13.2%

purchased at 99 bottles in federal way, washington.

large cork and cage bottle.

pours a semi-hazy pale yellow with a large egg-shell head, very good lacing.

smell of yeast, touch spice, some citrus.

taste is grain, spice, lagerish, some citrus, finishes somewhat dry.

3.47/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from corked bottle. Straw yellow color, just as the labeling suggests. The head on this beer is as big as it gets.

Not much to the smell, and a very dry taste, but it works.

It's a solid beer. Nothing special.

3.46/5  rDev -13.7%

I am seriously trying to get into Belgian beers. It is a hit or miss and this counts for both domestic and imported beers. After popping the cork and pouring into my snifter, it looked good but I was hoping for something less filtered. The smell was sweet and spicy but nothing special. The taste was a little better. I let it warm a bit and got a bit more spice but was not savoring every sip. I got bored with it pretty quick. The mouthfeel was pretty average. Nothing special. Overall this was good, but for a Belgian Strong Pale, I was left with my desires unsatisfied. The carbonation was there but did not clean the palate like I would have liked. The strong portions of the flavor stuck around a bit too long. Lost Abbey makes some good brews. Despite my warm buzz at the end of the entire bottle, I felt as if I was ripped off by the brewer. I'd rather have a Damnation or a Pranqster, which can be argued as a different classification. But for American brewed Belgian golden/pale ales, this one is not at the top of my list. However, many may think I am wrong.

3.41/5  rDev -15%

A-deeper in color than I had anticipated, golden straw color with an orange center. the head is robust and fluffy, very bubbly and light sitting on top for some time.

S-the nose is very perfumy with a strong soapy yeast to it. hints of dry cracker with a fair bit of citrusy hops in the back with a bitter cut to the nose.

T-the flavor is a little less yeasty and soapy, the hops really stick out. it is still rather perfumy up front, it has the touch of dry cracker showing the malt body with the hops taking over in the back. citrusy, with strong notes of juicy lemon,and very soapy hops with an assertive bitterness in the finish.

M-lighter in body, soft on the palate, very fluffy feel to it, light but creamy and all there. moderate carbonation tingles the back of the throat with a crisp semi dry finish.

D-the huge soapy flavors and the assertive bitterness make this somewhat off putting. the flavors are all there but they don't seem to work that well together. it isn't bad, the malt body is still nicely done and the assertive hop finish is different just too soapy.

Inferno Ale from The Lost Abbey