Isabelle Proximus - The Lost Abbey

Isabelle ProximusIsabelle Proximus

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: John_M on 05-22-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Mauerhan

2.93/5  rDev -36.2%

thank you patronwizard for breaking out this bottle of pig vomit. ok pig vomit might be a bit harsh...but it does smell a bit like puke. ok...onto reviewing.

as we poured this into our glasses i was kinda grossed out a bit. im not sure if its supposed to be this chocked full sediment but shit. did someone leave some oatmeal in this bottle. we were counting the chunks. i pray that we got a bad bottle.

color is hazy straw/oj/scrambled eggs. so if i took all of the above and put it in a blender...or my stomach and then poured it back out. a nice amount of whiteish head sits on top and then its gone. small amount of lacing. nothing to be impressed by but its still there. i pray we got a bad bottle

smell...::shivers:: i pray we got a bad bottle

taste is acidic. harsh. cloying. not my favorite beer. very sour. an instant pucker. i pray we got a bad bottle

mouth is dry and angry. I PRAY we got a bad bottle.

i know that its the style but overall this beer does not make me happy. in fact it just made me cry a bit.

12-04-2008 06:45:18 | More by Mauerhan
omegagogetass4

06-24-2014 18:24:12 | More by omegagogetass4
PatronWizard

3.15/5  rDev -31.4%

I finally scored a bottle of this elusive beast from my mystery beer guru. Thought I would be generous and shared it with OlieIPA and Mauerhan. They didn't care too much for it.

Pours a completely opaque orange juice. Very thick and formidable. Lots o'floaties. Like a dirty fish tank.

Smell is, to put it bluntly, vomit. After a big breakfast of scrambled eggs and orange juice kind of vomit. That's the initial impression. After a few minutes, it either got a little better or I got used to it, because it was no longer repulsive. Sour as FUCK! Sour beer smell. Sour oranges. Sour everytang.

Taste is sour. I hate it, but I like to hate it. Very unique. I like the experience much more than I like the beer. Seriously reminds me of a glass of orange juice forgotten in the fridge for several months then grabbed in the middle of the night and gulped. Surprise!

Thick stuff. Feel is pucka, pucka, pucker. Not my favorite sour by far.

Bottle of Isabelle Proximus: $30
Bottle of '08 Abyss to wash it down: $12
Watching Mike and Chris's faces as they chewed on this stinky fucking cheese of a beer: priceless

12-18-2008 20:51:35 | More by PatronWizard
Immortale25

3.5/5  rDev -23.7%

11-20-2012 20:25:50 | More by Immortale25
ffejherb

3.53/5  rDev -23.1%

750ml bottle into tulip glass on 1/9/09. Thanks to Deuane for sharing this hard-to-find Lost Abbey release!

A - Poured a hazy golden body with a modest off-white head that settled into a thin ring of retention and left spotty lacing around the glass.

S - The aroma of this wild ale reminds me of what kids used to huff in middle school shop class while trying to get a buzz on. Sour, tangy notes akin to fruit-flavored magic markers and band-aid.

T - Sour and tart with an extra helping of Brett to pucker things up a few notches. Reminds me of Sour Patch Kids or Sweet Tarts on steroids.

M - Medium body with a thick, syrupy texture and moderate carbonation. Warm and alcoholic mouthfeel overall with a huge sour finish. Pucker up!

D - Not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate it for what it is. I'm still trying to wrap my head around these extremely sour styles. Perhaps I'll come around some day, like with coffee stouts. Would I buy this? Probably not, save for the rarity of it. But I'm certainly glad to have tried it.

01-11-2009 17:03:55 | More by ffejherb
LilBeerDoctor

3.6/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottle thanks to JB175 (thanks Jason!). I've been waiting to try this beer for some time now...anyway, it pours a cloudy orange with a small white head. Aroma of sweettart candies and a lot of funk (definite yogurty notes, sweaty socks, and horseblanket). Flavor is tart and super sour upfront with citrus, sour grapefruit, and bubblegum. A bit too sour/acidic for my liking. Definitely very similar in taste to a lambic-gueuze. I would have like a little more dryness and less acidity.

07-09-2009 17:47:28 | More by LilBeerDoctor
antilogic

3.63/5  rDev -20.9%

Had this at Lost Abbey barrel Aged Night II. Was really looking forward to it and was very disappointed. If you like really sour beers, you will probably like this. I do like sour, but this took sour to a whole new level. This was like a warhead. The funk and sourness made it difficult to enjoy. Taste was Fruit, Funk and Oak.

I knew it was a unique, "good" beer, but that did not make me want to drink much more of it. With the right food, this could be amazing I think. Oh well, I'm going to trade the bottle I have away and get something a little less extreme.

11-19-2008 05:37:24 | More by antilogic
nickd717

3.65/5  rDev -20.5%

Transcribed from 2008 notes.

Really, really damn expensive bottle at Toronado - 40 bucks! This sour ale was very good but not as life-changing as I expected. Personally I liked The Angels Share considerably better.

Color was a cloudy golden yellow with a small white head.

Aroma was really sour and funky with wild yeast, lemon, and sour dry white wine.

Flavor was yeasty and really funky with Brett and lemony sourness, oak, and sour white grapes.

Medium-bodied with acidity on the palate and fairly high carbonation.

Decent and I liked the 8oz or so I had, but nowhere near as good as the hype.

10-01-2010 22:46:16 | More by nickd717
John_M

Oregon

3.7/5  rDev -19.4%

I'm not sure which is crazier; that I'm the one to add this beer or that I'm even reviewing it. Had recently at the Brick during the Lupulin Reunilun. By all accounts this beer is quite limited.

The beer pours a hazy gold color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose.... good night what an aroma. A gueuze lover would be in heaven with the aromas in this beer. One gets brie and head cheese, coupled with honey. There's also some cherry I think, but it's completely overwhelmed by the sour funk in this beer. Ewww! On the palate the beer is every bit as unusual with flavors of lemonade and sweet ice tea, which on the finish is overwhelmed with an ocean of sour. The sour funk is just too much for me and ultimately drowns out the other flavors. The beer has a light mouthfeel and the abv. doesn't seem too high. Despite the lightness on the palate, it's also rather viscuous. Odd beer and definitely not my cup of tea. Still, if you like sours (lambics and gueuze), my guess is you will love this beer.

Nasty stuff.... :-)

05-22-2008 19:17:50 | More by John_M
dbONE

3.8/5  rDev -17.2%

Enjoyed this at Toronado in SD last weekend, for a price.
It was worth it to try at least once.
The bright golden goodness emerges from the bottle into a stemmed glass that holds in the super funky aroma. This is not a starter sour, beware. Strong sour rotten fruit is what wakes your senses and slaps them into a dizzing frenzy.
Similar flavors peek through but are dominated by the sourness. As it warms up in the glass the sourness softens and dried fruit makes its way to the pallet finishing a little dry and stinky.
I loved it, but I think I would have to pass if it were offered.

12-20-2008 00:49:59 | More by dbONE
madorb

3.83/5  rDev -16.6%

Been sitting on this one since the toronado 21st anniversary party, i heard it's hit its peak, so in celebration of a... tuesday. I thought I'd break this one out.

After popping the top on the gorgeous bottle and setting it on the table, it quickly started to foam over the bottleneck until i poured a serving into my Lost Abbey glass.

In the glass it's a crisp straw color with just a little head that quickly disappates.

The smell is Funk. Pure, unadulterated, George Clintonian, Parliament Funkadelian Funk. Oh, and some apple and vinegar. But mostly Bootsy Collins-esque funk.

Remember how I mentioned that funk? Well here it comes again, on this time the booty rockin' beats have moved on from my nose and into my mouth. I know right, you're saying, "wow, that sounds astounding, I would love some Earth, Wind & Fire in MY mouth". Well, I hate to disappoint you, but I think this Curtis Mayfield-ian beverage might not be all it's cracked up to be.

Don't get me wrong, I love sour beers, this weekend I had some Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise 2006 and I adored it. The problem is that this beer is really hitting me with a lot of citrus on the back of my mouth. It tastes a bit like... orange juice? The overall balance just doesn't seem to be there, it really seems to just be hitting me in one spot on the tongue. It's definitely a very solid, tasty beer, but it isn't living up to the hype. It seems a little bit like the funky melody of this beer has just one note, mind you, it's a pumping, thumping, slap-bass note. But one note none-the-less.

01-28-2009 07:36:38 | More by madorb
mentor

Colorado

3.85/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours a thin layer of lightly-oranged head ove a hazed dull straw liquid. Smells sour acetic and lactic. Some brettanomyces funk. Pineapple, dusty, leather, and cherries.

Tastes puckering tart, with mild acetic and lactic. Light bright flavor. Lemon juice, cherries, and peach. Dry aftertaste of straw. Light crisp mouthfeel and decent drinkability.

09-03-2008 04:38:30 | More by mentor
tjthresh

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev -15%

Pour bright golden yellow with a quickly fading pur white head. The aroma is of tangy sour cream with a pleasant oak character. The flavor is very lactic and cheesy, with a great oak tannin character. The beer clinches the back of my throat when a swallow. Very sour. Medium/light body with a nice amount of carbonation. I was expecting this to be very over carbonated. Overall this is really good and among some of the best sours I've tried.

05-29-2009 11:05:24 | More by tjthresh
paytoplay

3.9/5  rDev -15%

It's been since the release on tap that I've had this beer. Thought I'd check in. Getting slightly better but still not rocking like I hope / expect with more time in bottle. Some funk, oak and tannin from the oak are more subtle. And not boom bam sour anymore. Just missing something for me. There are a couple other sours that me and the friend I shared it with said were drinking better right now. Still have higher hopes down the road. Guess wait till the sept 2009 anniversary from the release date to retry.

This has been in the refridgerator since day 1, that might of hampered the yeast. Other bottles are kept in a warmer / relative, environment.

03-17-2009 23:11:19 | More by paytoplay
femALEist

3.9/5  rDev -15%

Had this at Lost Abbey which is a $50 beer. They don't even let you take it to go because people sell it on ebay for $150! It's an American Wild Ale and 7%.
It poured a very lemon yellow with lots of tiny bubbles. It smelled of pounds of lemons, sour apples and a ton of oak. It tasted extremely tart- again lemons, sour apples, a hint of apricot- reminiscent of Beatification from Russian River. It had a soft mouthfeel, very delicate on the tongue and delicious. However, it seemed pretty uncomplicated- just pure pucker.

03-25-2010 20:53:17 | More by femALEist
fbc24

01-29-2013 18:36:39 | More by fbc24
nkeckhar

04-11-2014 16:05:39 | More by nkeckhar
Arbitrator

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared at a Berkeley tasting in May. From notes.

A: A vigorous pop upon opening. Carbonation! My first bottle was flat, oddly enough. Anyway, this one has a nice finger of off-white head that caps the straw body. Decent retention.

S: Some horse blanket, hay, barnyard funk imparted by the brett. Has a tart citrus nose along with vinegar sourness. A bit of oak. The beer has really mellowed since i last had it. While it is still aromatic, it is definitely dropping off.

T: In 2009 this had a lot of brett funk to it, but the bottle I'm reviewing here has seen that drop off. The flavors coalesce into a citric tartness, manifesting as lemon rind, orange, and a little tangerine. Muted tannins. In 2009 this beer had a very tart finish with lingering dryness and sourness, but the one I'm reviewing here is mildly tart (still dry and sour). The sharpness is dropping off. I'm not sure the flavor is complex enough to justify use of the word 'mellowing' -- if anything I'd say it's getting muddled. Still good, but not improving.

M: Light-bodied. Carbonation is moderate.

D: This was my last bottle. Glad I got rid of it when I did. I don't see it improving at this point.

07-12-2010 06:14:54 | More by Arbitrator
Exiled

11-17-2011 23:37:58 | More by Exiled
RblWthACoz

Pours a barely fogged gold with a very thin white head. Nose is eslactic, slightly spiced, and a bit fruity sweet. Flavor is sour, yes. Biting almost acidic apples. Lactic tones are in there as well. Feel is that slicker almost slimy thing with a minor carbonation, as you'd figure. I have to say this is a let down. Sure it carries the intensity of a gueuze, but it's too tight and acidic IMO. Just doesn't work for me. I find that Brute is a much more drinkable gueuze-like sour in comparison to this. This just doesn't do it for me. Too much acid.

12-26-2008 02:47:18 | More by RblWthACoz
CityofBals

09-12-2013 18:02:46 | More by CityofBals
JAXSON

Nice, lush nose aroma bursting with peaches, apples, nectarines, passion fruit, grapes, and the obligatory brett. A decent amount of stone fruit sweetness coming through in the nose. There's an immediate burst of tartness and acidity in the flavor that isn't completely refined. There are nuances of fruit, and an undertone of mushroom throughout. Very good but probably better in small doses. I drank a whole 750ml bottle by myself, and the acidity just kind of weighed on me. Really good, probably overrated, still better than a lot of well-regarded contemporary lambics. Just lacking a refined character and smoothness to be really awesome.

I've had this a few times since it was released. It has gotten a bit harder with time, not really declined, but not improved either. It's a really nice American sour that has tendencies toward a gueuze. There is definitely complexity there, but I saw it as somewhat unfocused and quite overrated.

09-07-2010 22:28:01 | More by JAXSON

Quebec (Canada)

11-11-2013 01:37:43 | More by tom10101
Kegatron

4.05/5  rDev -11.8%

750 ml bottle into several glasses. HUGE thanks go to Stakem for finally helping me right a wrong with this beer from a few years ago.

Pours a hazed grapefruit color in the glass, topped with thin foamy layer of bright-white head. This mostly retains with some frothy edging, leaving back a moderately robust cascade of lace that slowly drips down the sides of the glass. The aroma is a mélange of tart lemon, tropical fruit, earth, oak and funk. The lemon is very strong in this and you kind of have to dig deep to get the rest.

The taste is similar, with lemon, oak, earth and funk all standing out. Like the nose, that lemon tartness is fairly strong. Slight acidity hangs on the edges. The finish is dry and oaky with more lingering acidic notes. The mouthfeel is medium to fuller bodied, with a chewy creaminess to the carbonation that sits with some heft in the mouth. That 7% is well hid overall though.

This was good for me but not great. I liked the complexity but all of that tartness and eventually acidity just go to be a bit too intrusive on the other flavors at times. I think this one has maybe already crested the hill? I’m not sure but I am very grateful to Adam for finally helping me try this. Thanks again man!

10-24-2012 19:32:36 | More by Kegatron