Isabelle Proximus - The Lost Abbey

Isabelle ProximusIsabelle Proximus

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: John_M on 05-22-2008)
4.28/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Been saving this for a special occasion. No special occasions arose, so a random Thursday will do.

Pours a crystal clear glowing orange color with a finger of quickly receding head. This can be smelled from a foot away, and sticking my nose closer reveals a lush bouquet of funky orange peel, tangerine, sour strawberry candy, and some bananas.

Based on the nose I expected the taste to completely overwhelm me, but I was wrong. And I'm glad I was wrong, because what we have here is a superb wild ale. Definitely very sour...my mouth puckers with every sip, and every swallow causes my eyebrows to rise. This actually has quite a clean tartness to it. The funk really doesn't really come through except deep into the finish. Lots of tangerines and orange peel. Faint hints of oak but they really have to be searched for. The lack of dryness causes the sourness to carry through all the way to the finish, so I am still puckering a bit even after I have swallowed. Awesome.

Mouthfeel is medium boded with only a bit of stinging carbonation. Not too dry, either.

This is a fine, fine beer but I wish I would have waited to drink it so I could split the 750. Too much sour for me! Overall I am very happy to have gotten to try this beer, it was definitely worth acquiring.

4.53/5  rDev -1.3%

Man, Saturday was a killer beer-drinking day. Thanks to klonda, my beer-loving BA roommate, for buying the bottle after we already had Yellow Bus and Veritas 003.

Appearance: From the bottle, a good amount of carbonation pours a hazy-lemon peel sunshiny brew that bubbles up a bit more than Yellow Bus had. Ring of carbonation around the surface clung nicely to the glass, but nothing particularly different or remarkable about it. The bottle is awesome though, that's for sure.

Smell: Whew, lemon-peel ciitrusy whiffs on top of bretty barnyard funk. Mmmm, brettt. There are hints of acidity as well, along with a oaky and white-wine like odor as well. Very, very nice.

Taste: Excellent, even up there with the big boys like Yellow Bus and DDG. I thought both those two slightly more sour and a hint more complexity, but that's not to say this beer isn't incredibly tasty. It's just a delicious sour, and reminded me of a more citrusy and slightly more funky Duck Duck Gooze. The sourness is on par with the best of the Lost Abbey fabled brews, and really just has a sweet-sour pucker that I've come to adore. The flavor profile, while a very tasty one, is not as layered as some others, but is delicious through and through.

Mouthfeel: Rivaled only by Yellow Bus in my book among sours. Sourness is bracing, acidity follows, and rounds out perfectly carbonated and really flawless. Couldn't think of anything here I'd change at all.

Drinkability: It's delicious, it's tasty, and drinkable, but I consider most sours to be so. Really smooth, but the acidity here was a bit higher than in some of the other sours of the day. And this affected our drinkability: the bottle just had a ton of yeast at the bottom, more than I'm used to, which limited the pours slightly, but that's really here nor there. This beer is another incredible one, and one I'm so excited to have another one of in the cellar.

4.5/5  rDev -2%

Poured into Lost Abbey Tulip/Chalice glass.

Pours 1/2 finger of pure white head. Fades down quickly to a thin ring. Color is a gorgeous hazed orange cream, bright sunset.

Aroma: Tons of sour fun, making my mouth water quickly. A lot of horse blanket, yeast, tart cherries, grapefruit, and sour lemon flavors.

Taste: Wow, this is nice and sour. Starts out with a sour and barnyard funk taste to it. Then sour cherries hit with a big amount of apricot and peach flavors. Some leather notes as well.

Mouthfeel: Very sour and tart, mouth puckering goodness. Medium bodied with a low/medium amount of carbonation. Ends tart but great.

Overall, this is a very nice sour and I am glad I got to try this one. I wish I had more, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Very drinkable and very great. Highly recommend this one.

4.47/5  rDev -2.6%

Polished 24-karat gold with a small splash of orange juice and several steady streams of fine bubbles. The combination of wild yeast and oak aging was bound to play havoc with head and lace. The dirty ivory crown is compact, nearly featureless and is laying down almost no lace. Keeping style in mind, it's still a good look.

Brettanomyces was appreciated as soon as the cork was extracted and the gun smoke faded. The barnyard funk smells especially clean and bright and lemony, not down and dirty and grungy as it can sometimes smell. If the nose is any indication, IP will be one fantastic wild ale.

Isabelle Proximus is incredibly complex beer that is almost indescribably delicious. There's so much going on with each mouthful that it will take time (and most of the bottle) to sort out. I'm not sure how age affects beer of this sort, but it's drinking beautifully right now. As a point of reference, the release date was June 28, 2008.

The beer has an mild underlying sweetness that gradually eases into a mildly evaporative dryness on the finish. Primarily, however, it's as tart-tangy-sour and acidic as a gueuze. The entire tongue gets a workout as each and every taste bud is instantly engaged on contact. In it's own way, this American wild ale is an intense as a highly hopped IPA.

There's a ton of tart lemon peel, complemented by Sauvignon Blanc, white wine vinegar, new mown hay and a moderate amount of high-class horse blanket funk. That might not sound very good to the uninitiated, but trust me, it is. The oak barrels didn't add a great deal. In fact, I wouldn't have been able to tell that they had been used if unaware of the specifics of the beer's creation.

Although the mouthfeel is not voluminous and creamy (these things never are), it has a surprising amount of viscosity and coats the mouth in fine fashion. It also squeezes the salivary glands like nobody's business. Pucker up.

Tomme Arthur (The Lost Abbey), Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River), Lorenzo Dabove, Rob Tod (Allagash), Adam Avery (Avery) and Sam Caglione (Dogfish Head) have every reason to be proud of Isabelle Proximus. This expertly and lovingly crafted ale is right up there with Vinnie's Temptation and Supplication, as well as Rob's Interlude, as the best American wild ales to have ever entered my glass. Kudos to Sam for painting the label.

4.1/5  rDev -10.7%

Thanks to blisscent for sharing this one - this is a beer I've been dying to try. Poured a hazy, burnt orange (kind of reminds me of SunnyD) with a frothy, bright white quarter inch head that quickly dissipates into a skim and a thin band of bubbles. Nose is citric acid and a hint of mustiness. Taste consistent with nose with the addition of some cork, vinegar and a little bit of saltiness. Mouthfeel was medium-light and sparklingly effervescent. What an incredibly drinkable beer. I really enjoyed this and am really starting to dig this style.

4.63/5  rDev +0.9%

Cracked open my only Isabelle last night, just for the hell of it. Poured into my Lost Abbey chalice.

Pour is a clear, golden yellow. Fizzy white head that dissipates quickly. Nice enough looking beer, but not surprising.

Smell is of lemons, tropical fruits (and I'm not talking about c*!&suckers from Guatemala /George Carlin), and barnyard funk. Quite nice. I detect pineapple, but it's extremely understated compared to the lemons and funk.

Taste is complex and delicious. A brief hint of sweetness at the front, followed quickly by a light punch of sourness. Lemons, a faint woodiness. I would like it to be maybe a *touch* more sour in the end, but this is world class stuff nonetheless.

Mouthfeel is perfect for the style - effervescent, light, crisp, and quite dry. Excellent.

Drinkability: It just doesn't get any more drinkable. I found it difficult to pace myself, because this goes down so easily.

I wish I had more bottles of this stuff, but I don't think I want to bother trying the trade forums for this. Too big a pain in the ass for a beer like this.

Lost Abbey frustrates me to no end, because although they have their share of quality control problems, they occasionally put out stuff that I cannot justify ignoring (Duck Duck Gooze, Red Poppy, Isabelle). Sometimes, it's just too good. Damn it.

4.33/5  rDev -5.7%

Reviewed with speedwayjim and stephy two great beer buddies served out of a cantillon wine glass.

Appearance: Poured by our server, little head was form due to the smooth pour but clear golden orange with bubbles visibily running up the sides of the glass. Leaving a slight lacing.

Smell: Sour green apples with hints of sweet green raisins and earth oak.

Taste: For my first sour I has really opened up my eyes to the style. Opens with an earthy and sour profile which amplifies as a faint almost non existant malt profile lingers in the background. There is a green apple, citrus lemon profile which emerges in the middle and carries into the finish. Overall a very balanced sour with various sour profiles as the brew warms and your palate acclimates to the sour profiles.

Mouthfeel: Medium Bodied with moderate carbonation, crisp and clean.

Drinkability: I would definitely have this again and recommend this to someone who seeks a very simple and balance sour which possess various sour profiles.

4.78/5  rDev +4.1%

Shared this one with 2 great people after a long, long time of wanting to try it and then actually just stumbling upon it. What an adventure...
Had this one at Monk's Cafe poured into a Cantillon wine glass.

A: Poured near no head with a thin white wisp that retained at the top. Brew was semi-cloudy bright orange with medium carbonation continually rising to the top. Lacing is rather spotty.

S: Wood, sour skunk, and a variety of wild berries.

T: Wood, oak, cherry tartness, raspberries, citrus rinds. Overtones of malt make themselves apparent after my palate becomes accustomed to the sourness. Sour apple in the finish as well as a sweet/tart strawberry towards the end. So incredibly complex...

M: Light to medium bodied, carbonated and rather coarse. Brew is extremely clean and crisp. Finish is dry with almost no aftertaste. The journey is very long and enjoyable, but when it ends, it doesn't linger.

D: The best interpretation of a sour I've had so far. This mythical brew is worthy of the hype. The only thing I regret is that its over. Can't wait to have it again somehow, someday. The different flavors that reveal itself are so endless that it begs you to have more and more to discover more and more.

4.45/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's about time I review this one!
750ml corked & caged into Lost Abbey Rastal Teku.

A - Isabelle Proximus pours clear with a dark golden color with almost an orangish hue. There's a half a fingers worth of head that sticks around for a little bit but then vanishes leaving on a few bubbles here and there around the top of the liquid. No lacing to speak of being that there's no head retention.

S - Semi-sweet tart/sour notes, oranges, mangos, horse blanket. Not super-funky like some other Wild Ales, but has enough to satisfy the funk I'm looking for while also delivering a nice sweetness that pairs up to create a wonderful beer.

T - Oh baby, this is good stuff! The nose is deceiving because it's a lot more funky then I was expecting when compared to the nose. Orange peels, brett, barnyard fuck, horse blanket, mangos. It's sweet up front but the finish turns my mouth inside-out with awesome sour notes.

M - Light body, fizzy carbonation that tingles my lips, dry finish.

D - Such an awesome creation, this one was as-good as all the hype surrounding it. I've had some top-rated sours, and this one is right up at the top along with Yellow Bus, Veritas 004, and Blabaer.

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a hazy light golden orange with thin white head - a beautiful geuze.
Complex aromas of peach, apple, orange, strawberry, tart cherries, citrus, tropical fruits, barnyard funk, and slight spiciness.
I can't think of how to put into words how amazingly awesome this beer tastes. It's simply a perfectly balanced, blended Geuze - better than any of the Belgian Geuzes I've ever had. Is so incredibly complex with just the right amount of tartness and funk mixed in with just the right amount of oak from the barrels. So, so delicious! All the flavors just dance around in my mouth and the tartness prickles my tongue - perfect mouthfeel. To this date, this is my all time favorite beer and I'm so glad I have 2 left for strictly special occasions.

4.47/5  rDev -2.6%

Split with a fellow BA. Cellar stored and served at cellar temp.

A: Hazy yellow-orange body. Thin offwhite head that crashed immediately after pouring. No lacing to speak of. Its got a nice murky look to it that suggests things to come.

S: Lemons, sour citric notes, funkyness. Almost like this is evil brother to a bretty-saison.

T: Profound sour and tart notes. I've never had a beer with this level of sourness while still not making me pucker up. Acidic lemons. Tart oranges. Funky yeast. Possibly some lime in there as well as an ever so slight woody-oak to it (almost like a chardonnay). Well worth the wait and effort of getting this bad girl.

M: Dry, light bodied. Tongue tingling sourness. Somewhat tart finish. Good control throughout as this beer never tips so far as to go out of whack.

D: Huge. This was easy to consume, savor and enjoy. Sad that this will never be made again and I've probably had the only serving I ever will have.

4.8/5  rDev +4.6%

Tasted at Falling Rock Taphouse. It's a good thing we tasted it when we did, they weren't selling anymore two days later.

A- Gushed on us but no worries. Pours hazy yellow with thin dirty white head.

S- Sweet fruit on the nose, light brett funk, candy orange.

T- Perfect sweet-tart balance, peachy, muscat grapes, a touch of band aid. A little less earthy than similar beers i've tasted.

M- Finishes medium bodied with a lasting sourness. Perfection. Balance.

4.65/5  rDev +1.3%

Got the privilege to try this at t0rin0's tasting on 9/5/09.

A: Pale gold/yellow in color without any real head; a thin layer of white foam.

S: Grapes, apples, lemon, and pineapple. A nice level of tartness along with some hints of oak and sweetness.

T: First sensation is a hit of tartness, but it is quite well balanced as a sweetness soon comes through. Lots of tart fruit flavors, with the most notable being pineapple, grapes, lemon.

M: Fairly effervescent, medium body, a nice acidity.

D: Just about perfect on all levels. A beer that certainly deserves all the hype.

4.75/5  rDev +3.5%

I first enjoyed this beer with fellow BA PatronWizard awhile back and wondered why people loved this beer so much. Now that I have been able to try multiple sours since then, I now know the significance of this beer after purchasing two 10 oz. pours at Beachwood during Gabe's 09' Sourfest.

A: Literally looks like apple juice or urine...but in a good way...and I know that sounds weird. LOL. After a heavy pour, Isabelle didn't seem to exhibit any apparent head or significant lacing.

S: A lot of pineapple, green grapes, and green apple upfront followed by a more robust and complex oak, perhaps French oak, and sugar cane finish.

T: The first thing I noticed was the extremely balanced tart and sour quality throughout the whole sip; no over-the-top or lacking sour/tart characteristics. Along with this great balance, I was able to pick up a multitude of flavors including: orange, grapefruit, pineapple, and an oak backing that helped subdue some of the acidity from these fruit flavors. A also detected a spicy finish that was hard to describe and/or figure out.

M: Light carbonation and medium body.

D: A very complex tasting beer that takes a few times to really figure out and appreciate. One of the best sours I've experienced.

Overall: An epic sour on all levels; get your hands on this stuff as soon as possible. Cheers!

4.93/5  rDev +7.4%

From the last available bottle at Toronado SD... Thanks go to Chad, once again.

A: Luminescent yellow-gold, with more yeast clouding the beer toward the bottom. Thin, but persistent white head and traces of lacing.
S: Again, evolves as we got deeper into the bottle, and as the beer warmed. Notes of green apple, caramel, lemon peel, coriander, bubble gum, white pepper, and grain. Lovely, complex, and projected nose. Very expressive. Could smell this all day.
T: Lovely combination of full flavor but without excessive weight on the palate. Acidity is puckery, and clings to your teeth. Lemon, apple, vanilla, and some toasted gain. The aftertaste goes on loooonnng. Later, there are some hints of clove and banana.
M: Wonderful texture, combining acidity, concentration of flavor, and body.
D: Easy to drink, and not too heavy at 7%. Smooth.

One of the best beers I've ever had. Unique, idiosyncratic, and rare. All of those, even though I'm being redundant and repeating myself. Try one if you can get it.

4.8/5  rDev +4.6%

A huge thanks to mbrasi who hooked me up in a trade.

Appearance is a pale gold, almost no head at all. Not too surprising for a wild ale. Aroma is so damn complex: lemon, oak, apples. Really spectacular. Not super funky really. Taste is even better. At first there is a faint fruitiness which comes across as a sweetish taste, which is followed by a fairly tart finish. On the finish I got an explosion of ripe fruit flavors - peach, apricot. Some dry oak on the finish also. Extremely complex and the tartness is impressively restrained, especially for the style. Mouthfeel can't be criticized - no different than any gueuze you might find. Drinkability is also excellent (well, except for the rarity).

This is an amazing beer and much more tame and subtle than I was expecting. Right up there with the best of the Belgian lambics.

4.58/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Bright, vibrant yellow color with surprising clarity. Nice effervescent head.

S: Plenty of horse blanket and oak.

T: Citrus zest, ripe tropical fruits (pineapple) and vinegar tartness. A great interplay of flavors with a puckering and dry finish.

M: Perfect for the style.

D: The story behind this beer makes it one of the most interesting beers that I will ever drink. I doubt I will ever be able to try this again, but it's something that I will always remember.

4.6/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split this at the San Diego Toronado with 3 friends.

A: Brilliantly clear orange with a thin white head. Good retention, and the lacework makes for one very attractive beer

S: Intensely salty, funky, sour and cheesy, all in an appealing way. Plenty of bright citrus with orange and some pineapple. I hear the citrus character has come out more recently. Cheesy with that classic filthy gym sock aroma, appealing much in the same way that a munster cheese is. Musty and lactic, this still is the funkiest beer I've had. Exceptional

T: Opens up very sour and acidic with a lot of lactic sourness and lime rind. The mid palate is cheesy and funky as hell with flavors of musty attics, gym socks, jock strap. Finishes long, dry, sour and funky

M:Light in body, moderate to high carbonation and a fantastic, long, sour and dry finish. Excellent

D: Superb. If not for the price, I'd drink this a lot more.

** 28 March 2010 at the Most Epic Fucking Tasting You Wish You Were A Part Of. Thanks, Josh!

The nose is less citrus, slightly less assaulting on the nose from a funk perspective.Lemony and sour, this is mostly sour right now, dominated by the acidity and is actually moderately gueuze-like. Excellent stuff, quite different since the last time I had it, but still equally impressive. Cheers!

**Edit 01 July 2012**
Been a couple of years since I've had this. Thanks, Tomme, Gwen and Ryan.

The nose is funky, salty, oxidized and a little cheesey. It's lost so much of its complexity, vibrancy and intensity that its not even funny. The palate is a blend of lemony and lactic sourness with no acetic flavors, mildly funky instead of the salty, funky, footy glory this beer once had. Dull, mildly sweaty. Stale honey and even a touch of smoke are present. Muddled and disappointing.
3.5/3/4

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Review 350, 1000 points, bottle supplied by a very special lady, funny how these things work out.

A- Isabelle looks great for a barrel aged sour/gueze/wild, whatever you want to call it. The liquid has a bright golden look with some yellow within. A nice sized white foamy head rised up before simmering down, leaving sparse lace. Some yeast clouding things towards the end.

S- I could smell this forever, it's that inviting, if your into the style. I get the expected brett with some lacto giving off some acidity to it. This is for sure funky. Lemon zest is up front with some sour apples and grape. Some leather and wood from the barrel. Moldy cheese and feet.

T- Proxy tastes great and nails whatever style the 5 brewers were going for, im going to say a form of gueze. The brett/lacto shines and gives off the funk with some tartness. Sour as well, but not a lou pepe amount of it. Behind that some barnyard creeps in with old cheese. The main taste I come up with is fresh lemon slices. Some green apple and leather rounding things up.

M- Sour, but not overbearing, enough to keep me ammused. Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation felt on the tounge that makes it crisp and oh so refreshing. The citrus qualities stay for a bit afterwards and im not complaining. Not the most balanced sour out there but that's expected with 5 different blends within.

D- I love Isabelle and would marry her. The drinkability on this is up there although I took my sweet old time getting to know her. Small sips are the only way to achieve this and any more would of hindered our relationship. I probably wont get another shot at this one but at least I can stare at the empty bottle and reminise on our past fling. Worthy of all the hype and accolades, Top notch!

4.5/5  rDev -2%

Large corked bottle, poured into a tulip.

Opens with little to no pop, which got me worried considering the known LA carbonation problems.
It pours a light golden beer, amazingly clear until you pour the second half of the beer, when it gets hazy. White colored head, thin, some retention.
Aroma is quite nice, funky and sour, and very fruity. It smells like a fruit salad that sat for a few hours, with lots of oranges among others, lemon, strawberries. Minimal oakiness, along with the horse blanket and grassy notes.
Flavor is quite sour, not puckering but close; tart, quite dry, with a lot of fruity notes that tend to a very acid lemon and orange combination.
Body is around medium, carbonation is soft but sifficient, oak is noticeable but no alcohol. Funkiness is all around, but hard to describe.
A very nice beer, well above the average LA, and a pleasant surprise. But I still don't know which color I prefer.

4.58/5  rDev -0.2%

Acquired through trade.

Very hazy golden beer. Not much in the foam department.

Great smell and flavor, invoking gueuze like notes throughout. Straw, medicine, and millions of wild yeast notes. Tangy tartness and citrus rind-like bitterness balance each other. Mild ripe mango and papaya. Tangy yogurt too.

Smooth gentle mouthfeel. Perfect dryness. Carbonation is low (although it did foam out the bottle when I let it sit for a few minutes).

Extremely delicious and refreshing!

$9 will buy you a Boon Oude Gueuze which is slightly better, but this is an outstanding accomplishment. Cheers to all the work that went into this!

3.6/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottle thanks to JB175 (thanks Jason!). I've been waiting to try this beer for some time now...anyway, it pours a cloudy orange with a small white head. Aroma of sweettart candies and a lot of funk (definite yogurty notes, sweaty socks, and horseblanket). Flavor is tart and super sour upfront with citrus, sour grapefruit, and bubblegum. A bit too sour/acidic for my liking. Definitely very similar in taste to a lambic-gueuze. I would have like a little more dryness and less acidity.

4.9/5  rDev +6.8%

06/07/09- Aquired in a trade with Younger35. Poured into my Orval tulip.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, caged and corked with a nice hologram type label. No freshness date, but an 2008 release.

Appearance- Deeper vibrant golden color pour. Creamy and lghtly frothy while the head sticks around longer than expected. Leaves some light lace spotting behind.

Smell- Awesome funk from the massive amount of brett. Barnyard for sure with a bit of urine, wet rotting hay and some tart lemon rind.

Taste- Think of Sacntification from RR, but with a bit more of a kick and also more intense flavor. Quite sour, but in a very refreshing way. A wee bit of confectioniers sugar to slightly balance it out. Tons of tart lemon rind with the sour juice included. Brett out the wazoo.

Mouthfeel- Slight bit too much carbonation, while it does reamin a bit creamy with a lovely sour aftertaste.

Drinkability- This was one damn incredible beer. A top 5 beer for me all time. Hands down the best wile ale I have had. I've had some that come very close (Beatification, Supplication and the Cuvee de Tomme which I also had at the same tasting), but this one takes the case for overall flavor and drinkability. Easilly worth the $30 it was going for when it first came out. One of the few beers I would have do problem dropping the money on.

3.9/5  rDev -15%

Pour bright golden yellow with a quickly fading pur white head. The aroma is of tangy sour cream with a pleasant oak character. The flavor is very lactic and cheesy, with a great oak tannin character. The beer clinches the back of my throat when a swallow. Very sour. Medium/light body with a nice amount of carbonation. I was expecting this to be very over carbonated. Overall this is really good and among some of the best sours I've tried.

4.7/5  rDev +2.4%

It's great to try this on tap again nearly 11 months since its release. On tap at Downtown Johnny Brown's Bitter and Sour night.

I opted for the 12oz pour into the tulip. The color is dark orange with a thick one inch head.

The aroma is very tart and funky with some citrus and vinegar. There's a lot of Brett, imparting horse blanket and barnyard aromas. Some oak is noticeable as well. There's cheese in the aroma and it's distinctly paremsan.

The taste is much more tart and sour than when I last had it. The Brett comes in full force with barnyard mustiness. Some lactic character is present, as well as a low level of acetic acid and a lot of acidity. The citrus flavor leans towards lemon and maybe a bit of orange. No alcohol or hops are noticeable, and the malt profile is bready and soft in the background. The finish is very tart and sour. Isabelle Proximus is light bodied with prickly carbonation.

This was by far the most sour, tart, and funky beer of the night. This is one of my favorite Wild Ales and it's great to witness its improvement with time. The beer became better and better as it warmed.

Isabelle Proximus from The Lost Abbey