Isabelle Proximus - The Lost Abbey

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 05-22-2008

Ratings: 414 | Reviews: 215
4.62/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks mistakebythelake! I've been looking to try this for quite some time. Opened at a joint 25th birthday party for my wife and me. (Yes, she sampled and enjoyed this brew as well.)

A. Pours a thin pale yellow with a bit of orange in it.

S. Lemon, cheesy funk, tart green apple, some cider vineagar, some tart peach, apricot, a touch of honey sweetness.

T. Lots of lemon on the tongue with peach, some grapefruit, green apple, barnyard funk, apricot, just a touch of oak that comes out more as it warms.

M. Thin body with tart acidity and some bright carbonation.

D. Supremely drinkable. I dumped the dregs into the saison that we brewed earlier this day; we'll see if there was anything left alive in there.

4.1/5  rDev -10.7%

A-pours a pale golden yellow with an active carbonation and fluffy pure white head.

S-light notes of funk come in, slightly medicinal, plastic with a pedio quiality. notes of acidity, sour peaches, soft golden fruits, nice fruity aromas.

T-the flavor is big, very faint with notes of funk. yeast blends in with sour peaches, tart lemons, and a moderate acidity.

M-medium body, very soft on the palate with a moderate carbonation and a very dry finish.

D-tasty beer, balanced and well done. nothing hugely special but still very drinkable with a strong sourness. the funk is enjoyable but somewhat off on its own.

4.17/5  rDev -9.2%

A - Hazy, but bright golden yellow with just a film of head, which receds to a thin ring with almost zero retention.

S - Straight vinegar lemon, highly floral citrus and vinegar, sweet & juicy fruit.

T - Incredibly dry funky & sour lemon with a hint of dry wine-ish green apples.There is a touch of berry and grape tag teaming with the green apples, but it's faint and mild. The unrelenting sour covers up any funk that I'm getting hints of, this is farkin' sour.

M - The carbonation is still definitely here, it's even a bit high but highly drinkable with a somewhat thin mouthfeel.

D - The huge vinegar characteristics linger which is murdering this things drinkability, but I'm not saying I'm going to stop.

4.77/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to dukedebourgogne (via Deuane) for this 750 mL bottle. Opened in celebration of Open That Bottle Night.

A: The bottle opened with a pop, yep still good. The ale, when poured into my tulip is crustal clear with a auburn hue. In fact, it looks like a single malt scotch in my glass, save for the tiny bubbles. No head came along, although a miniscule pool of white foam accompanied the first pour. A nice looking beer in my glass.

S: The nose is grassy and wild. Sharp citric aromas, very acidic, pop up midway through a sniff. Fruit and funk add to the mix, an eye-opening scent. Blackberries and raspberries mix with vanilla oaken notes as well. The horse blanket is mild but a steady presence. The complexity warrants my first perfect score, scent-wise, for an American Wild Ale.

T: Oak leads off, sturdy with vanilla notes. Building off of the barrel, the sour acidic flavors come through (but only in larger sips). In smaller swallows, the fruitiness is all that comes through. Green apples and lemon, both tart, drive the sourness. Berries and fleshy fruit linger behind the lemony citric notes, a surprisingly sweet sugary presence. The tartness generally covers up the bretty horseblanket flavors, instead it leaves a prickly, vibrant sensation in the mouth. This is sour as it was meant to be, a complement to the nuances of a blended, barrel-aged beer. Stunning with a dry finish that showcases more of the oak.

M: The mouthfeel is prickly, plenty of tart flavors to keep things lively. The abundance of fruits, oak and buggers is well done. I've never had Isabelle Proximus before but I can't imagine that it hasn't aged nicely over the past few years. Call me crazy, but I think that she could've lasted a few more years with smashing results.

D: As with most sours, the complex flavors are very filling. That limits, to me, the drinkability of the ale. Don't get me wrong though, Isabelle Proximus is worth her weight in gold, a lush sour that hits all the right notes. This bottle is going onto my wall of fame.

4.82/5  rDev +5%

Gigantic, enormous, eternal thanks to Chris for sharing this, a personal whale that I had all but given up on ever getting to try. Between this and the BA Speedway he opened less than a week ago, I'm pretty sure I owe him my firstborn.

A: Hazy, radiant light-amber body with a thin, fine, persistent white head that reactivates with each swirl. Quite nice indeed.

S: Pure sour bliss. Heady, fruity funk leads things off, with sour apple + lemon acidity; the beer then opens up with a plethora of luscious, slightly sweet tropical fruits: peach, cantaloupe, honeydew, sweet grape, and pineapple. A little bit of oaky vanilla adds yet another layer of complexity as it warms. Surprisingly sweet, and absolutely incredible.

T: Starts with intense sourness, then, like the nose, unveils a tapestry of sweet, almost candied, tropical fruits. The acidity never entirely lets go, though, and every moment from teh wetting of my tongue's tip to the drying of the after taste assaults my palate with incredible intensity, complexity, and beauty.

M: Fairly light body with low, somewhat prickly carbonation. Interesting.

D: I could drink this and nothing else forever.

Notes: If angels made sour skittles, they would taste like this. Undoubtedly one of the most purely delectable sours I've ever encouraged. I was absolutely giddy when I saw it emerge from Knifestyle's bag, and was even more excited when I found it lived up to even the highest of expectations. Gorgeous beer.

Cheers!

4.64/5  rDev +1.1%

A big thank you to Tony for sharing his whitest whale with myself and others. Also, this is my 400th review.

Appearance -- Pours a hazy straw hue with a slim spritzy white head.

Smell -- The real highlight of this beer is the aroma. The nose is very delicate with lemony brett, spring flowers, macerated apricots and peaches, as well as funky horse blanket, stiff gym socks, wet hay, bright acetic tartness, and damp oak.

Taste -- Another big wow: jasmine tea, apricot, pears, wet hay, earthy mushroom, and zesty lemon-like brett character. Acidity is well in moderation; a team player, not a dominating force. Nothing really dominates the other; all are collaborative and in proportion.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with gentle and spritzy carbonation. Slightly drying. Feels great.

Drinkability -- This is really something special. What sets this apart from so many other wilds is that it is so delicate and nuanced. The aroma is second to none and everything is so well proportioned: one could drink an entire bottle quite easily. I've read from many others that this has been going downhill, which is hard to believe as it drinks so incredibly now. A great experience, though I doubt I would trade the farm away for a second opportunity.

4.47/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle shared by beerloco at an amazing tasting last night. Thanks Alan! I was surprised to see I hadn't reviewed the lovely Isabelle yet considering I've been fortunate enough to sample her on multiple occasions. I was pleasantly surprised by how tasty she still is. This bottle was definitely better than the last one I had. Alan does a great job cellaring and the final product shows that fact off.

Appearance: Pours btw a cloudy golden and straw yellow with a 1 finger white crown that displays moderate retention and lace.

Smell: Clean lemon brett note, moderate barnyard must, and the faintest cherry fruit note...very remeniscent of some of the veritas beers I've had which makes me think Avant Garde plays a role in both.

Taste: Same as nose. She does not disappoint.

Mouthfeel: Thick side of light bodied with active (but refined) carbonation.

Drinkability: So sessionable.

4.6/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to Jerz for opening this bottle.

A - Clear, light orange color. It's pretty, and brilliant. There is some light head with nice lacing on the glass.

S - Lemony, zesty with touch of spice, funky...it's got all the characteristics, and the compliment each other splendidly.

T - It follows the taste spot on. Lemon punches your sour taste buds up front, then the zesty/spicy parts come through with a very funky finish.

M - Light body, medium carbonation...and sour sour sour! I pucker my lips after tasting it every time.

D - Hell yes! I wish I had my own bottle, or 2 or 10, of it.

4.47/5  rDev -2.6%

Shared by GonzoIllini at our EPIC sour tasting...

Pours a light golden color-- hazy and cloudy. A small white-ish head leaves a a small thin collar of bubbles with some wispy cloudlike globs.

Smells funky, dry, bright and citrusy. Just delicious. Very nice hay like dry funk. Bright lemony flavors are tart and crisp-- great sour bite.

Taste follows nose exactly. Very sour, but flavorful and balanced.

Body is spot on. Nice small bubbles and a scrubbing sensation as the beer goes across my tongue.

Me likey. I could sip this all day. Very impressed.

4.23/5  rDev -7.8%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pours golden semiopaque with a white head.

S - Fruity and funky. Some vinegar-like sourness, little farmy, with apricots, pears, that sort of light fruit nose. Tickles the nostrils a bit with the funkiness.

T - Reminded me in some ways of a dry white wine. Apples, apricots, pears, all sitting on a carpet of funk.

M - really bubbly

4.69/5  rDev +2.2%

Drank this with my wife before heading out New Year's Eve.

A-Light amber with a small white head that settles quickly to a thin cap. I can see the bubbles continually rising from the bottom of the glass.

S-Tart, funky, acidic. Sweet fruits, berries, oak. Smells much better then I remember.

T-A big sour punch when it first hits your mouth. Nicely acidic and tart. Mellows out leaving a spicy, peppery finish. A little sulfur at the end.

M-Nicely carbonated. Light mouthfeel with a nice body.

D-This really is a delicious beer.

4.92/5  rDev +7.2%

Thanks to Adam (Loki83) for sharing this at my families new years party. This beer, pours a bright cloudy yellow tint, with a nice white head.

A - wow, funk, in a good way. The initial wiffs signal lemon peel, orange zest, and Brett funk. It's like Sacrification Pro.

T - amazing. The lemon peel tartness grabs mouth and gives it a powerslam. The funk is noticable with taste of Brett, dough, and it reminds me of a lemon cake under baked. Amazing, again.

M - the beer coats the mouth. The carbonation level is low, and could use more bubbles, but it is still very pleasant.

D - amazing. No alcohol noticed, the sourness is not off-putting. The funk is delicious and the lemon brings me back.

O - a great expirience. I am very glad to have tried this.

4.75/5  rDev +3.5%

Thanks Matt for sharing this beautiful gal with us!

Light white head with the low side of retention. Vibrant radiance in color from a baby orange to yellow. Really nice to look at.

Great funk and lemon aroma with some oakyness. Nothing too crazy on this front but still excellent none the less.

Lemon with a tiny amount of acidity and a light pucker. Funk and oak as well but really smooth. Nice spectrum from beginning to end. Mouth wateringly tasty and worth it!

Medium carbonation with a little sizzle combined with a touch of fluff. This nails it too.

Could definitely drink a lot of this one! Too bad there really isn't that much out there anymore.

Had this one side by side with Veritas 006 and this was considerably less bracing. While they were both delicious the IP definitely took the cake in my book.

4.12/5  rDev -10.2%

I am honored to have this beer thanks to Damian and Lona.

A: Light gold color with barely any head, pretty clean clear look.

S: A divine funk that stings the nostrils in a good way. Other than that, some bright fruit is mostly all i get.

T: Grape, champagne, light apple tartness, and a nice funk. Dry and pretty good balance some some vanilla and oak that is subtle. Good.

M: Dry seltzer feel, I taste some alcohol in there.

D: great sour overall. Glad to have it, but really it's overhyped IMHO. Maybe I'm just more of a hops and malt kind of beer guy.

4.42/5  rDev -3.7%

A huge thank you to Damian and Lona for sharing this incredible rarity. Served side by side with Duck Duck Gooze.

The beer is a slightly hazy yellow hue. The head is minimal and leaves random traces of lacing about the glass. Ooo...nice and sour...my kind of beer. Carbonation is fairly low. Mouthfeel is nice, despite the low carbonation level. Beer is very sour but not massively puckering, as I have been told. Isabelle Proximus has a healthy level of complexity about it. Although it's tart, there is no harshness or vinegar notes to be found. An awesome experience. I am so thankful for the opportunity to sample it.

4.53/5  rDev -1.3%

Pouring into a glass yielded very little white head on golden liquid. No visible bubbles but carbonation evident when on the tongue.

Smell a bit weak with dry white wine, sour vinegar, and farm funk.

Taste just fantastic. Apple cider, citrus, pear, white wine it just goes on and on.

Dry and moist existing harmoniously with sweet and sour for greatness in the mouth feel and drinkability.

4.6/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Golden color with small white head that leaves no lacing.

Kevin- Expertly balanced sour with sugar backbone. Citrus and cider vinegar taste with barnyard nose. Very dry with good balanced carbonation.

Brandon- A sequence of sour, tart then a swift pineapple finish and smell. Fried bananas, sour nail polish tart on the nose. Quite delish. These suds are bonkers.

3.67/5  rDev -20%

Transcribed from 2008 notes.

Really, really damn expensive bottle at Toronado - 40 bucks! This sour ale was very good but not as life-changing as I expected. Personally I liked The Angels Share considerably better.

Color was a cloudy golden yellow with a small white head.

Aroma was really sour and funky with wild yeast, lemon, and sour dry white wine.

Flavor was yeasty and really funky with Brett and lemony sourness, oak, and sour white grapes.

Medium-bodied with acidity on the palate and fairly high carbonation.

Decent and I liked the 8oz or so I had, but nowhere near as good as the hype.

4.84/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours golden with a pure white head that has some decent staying power. Delightfully clear and sexy.

Aroma is of nectarines, apricots, tangerine peel, and vanilla. So wonderful I could smell it alll day.

Tastes of candied citrus, toasty oak, funk, peaches, musty cellar, damp oak, hay. Slightly acetic which works well with the tangy nectarine going on. Ridiculously delicious.

Mouthfeel is great for the beer, medium mouthfeel, carbonation works well to bring out flavor and aroma.

This is one of those beers where I really have to marvel at the way they achieved the flavor and aroma they did with just bugs and barrels. This was awesome, and I really hope to have it again. Having had it three times before, I can say she has only improved for me. Not falling off at all.

4.02/5  rDev -12.4%

Nice, lush nose aroma bursting with peaches, apples, nectarines, passion fruit, grapes, and the obligatory brett. A decent amount of stone fruit sweetness coming through in the nose. There's an immediate burst of tartness and acidity in the flavor that isn't completely refined. There are nuances of fruit, and an undertone of mushroom throughout. Very good but probably better in small doses. I drank a whole 750ml bottle by myself, and the acidity just kind of weighed on me. Really good, probably overrated, still better than a lot of well-regarded contemporary lambics. Just lacking a refined character and smoothness to be really awesome.

I've had this a few times since it was released. It has gotten a bit harder with time, not really declined, but not improved either. It's a really nice American sour that has tendencies toward a gueuze. There is definitely complexity there, but I saw it as somewhat unfocused and quite overrated.

Cracked open in celebration for my birthday/anniversary with my boyfriend. Poured into 2 champagne flutes.

A: slightly hazy, beautifully dark straw to light gold in appearance.

S: oaky grape, lemon or citrus, orange sherbert, sweet grass, brett funk

T: delightful sourness that immediately encompasses the entire olfactory and taste system. salivation responds quickly and lingers. flavors of melon, citrus, wood, brett and lacto funk. lemony sourness lingers.

M: light bodied, dry, bright and refreshing

D: the hype machine of this beer has not disappointed! this beer is as stellar as they come. it is a brilliant collaboration between 5 of the most talented brewers today and I cannot name another beer that comes close to Isabelle. I also cannot imagine that this beer will get better with age... so drink 'em if ya got 'em!

4.64/5  rDev +1.1%

Night of epic proportions review #3. I can now die a happy beer-geek. Big thanks goes out to miguelmandingo for bringing this gem & sharing. 750ml bottle served in a Meantime snifter.

Isabelle is crystal-clear with a bright, brassy golden color. Active carbonation forms a scattered, spittle look to the head. Aroma absolutely floors the olfaction, as I'm greeted with intense notes of white grape rind, lemon peel, and tart meringue topping. Hints of white pepper spice and graham cracker to the malts. Grassy, floral, delicate, intoxicating..

The flavor isn't far behind, and hits the palate with a nice dry, tannic quality. Woody oak mid-sip while the finish becomes acetic & biting in its sourness. A little funk here & there...very nice. Isabelle is light on the tongue and bubbly with a moderate-high carbonation. Really sits well on the palate, finishing clean and dry. A near-perfect American Wild. Another hype monster that lives up to its reputation. Mike, you rock for sharing this.

4.39/5  rDev -4.4%

Enjoyed in a snifter from a bottle shared by tlay10 during a recent tasting. Props to Tyler for being the most amazing friend ever.

Looks: Pours a dark mandarin that's so hazy as to be nearly opaque. Great color. A vigorous pour begets some white fizz, which quickly becomes just a small ring.

Smells: sweetly sour. Very citrusy, with notes of lemon, lime and orange interwoven. Slight pine flavors mingle with a subtle oaky background, lending the beer an enticing woodsiness. Tart and very floral, with notes of jasmine, lilies and cranberry. Perfectly balanced and amazing in every sense.

Tastes: with the first sip, tartness crescendos, muted at first but building to an impressive sour kick. The oak is subtle and perfect. The flavor bill ranges from sweet tangerine to lavender, lemon peel, lime juice, grapefruit and a certain very subtle smokiness. The sourness never becomes overbearing. As a sour, I wouldn't call it boundary-bending or outlook-changing in any way, but I'm blown away by how solid and drinkable it is.

Feels: silky. A medium-light body melds with a fuzzy, medium-light carbonation.

Drinks: The squadron of brewers at Isabelle's helm took a style that can be polarizing and hard to tame and made it eminently drinkable. Every flavor is in perfect balance. As an American wild ale, it's hard to get much better.

4.47/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle into Bruery glass, with a warm and heartfelt thanks to Chris (cquiroga) for generously trading a bottle of this gem to an (at the time) brand new trader. 700th review, split between my wife and I.

Pours warm, glowing light orange, bit of gold, apricot with a soft infusion of sunset. Gorgeous color. Thin white head of about a finger disappears very quickly, leaving very little in the way of lacing.

Nose is lemony and citric, with just a bit of tropical fruit dancing around, bright but still with a nice depth; moderate acetic bite in there also and just a bit of musty old leather and a wee hint of barnyard.

Taste starts off with a nice combination of acetic sourness and barnyard funk right off the bat, with the citric lemon sourness moving in and setting up shop towards the very dry finish and lightening things up a bit. Several seconds after the swallow, the acetic rises up for one last bite as the lemony acidity fades and leaves the musty barnyard to linger for a good while longer. Nice, full finish that lets you savor for a good while in between sips.

Mouthfeel is very good. Quite dry, especially towards the finish, with a sharp acetic acidity that pairs with a (thankfully) moderate carbonation and moderately light body to give a very nice blend of depth, acidity, and dryness.

Drinkability is quite good, but at this point, not quite legendary. The acetic bite and the dryness pair to really give some pucker to this one, which is about the only thing holding this one back at all.

Certainly a beautiful beer, very well done, though not quite legendary for me in its current state; perhaps I should have drank it a year ago when given the chance. It was by no means a disappointment, and absolutely comparable to some of the better gueuzes that I've had, though not quite up there with the Lou Pepes of the world, but that's a bit like saying a Wide Receiver falls just short of Jerry Rice; in all respects, an excellent complement. An absolute pleasure to drink, and happy to share with my wife. Thanks again, Chris!

4.82/5  rDev +5%

Big thanks to McDiddyPop for sharing this

A - Pours an orange-golden hue, with a light haze and one finger's worth of short-lived head.

S - Big lemony-lactic aromas leap from the glass, and other Gueuze-like notes abound, especially horsey, char and sulfur. Very interesting.

T - Wow. Great, worthy of the hype. Surprisingly, it is not too dissimilar to the exceptional Millennium Gueuze with which it was sampled head-to-head. It has a decidedly Gueuze-like character, with emphasis on dryness and dynamic juxtaposition of flavors; I was expecting a little less sophistication and at least a little bit of wild and fruity flavors. I am thrilled with it, regardless of my preconceptions.

M - Very bright, with a hugely clean finish. Totally enhancing.

D - Some say it is potentially in decline. I think it tastes outstanding (as of May 2010.)

Isabelle Proximus from The Lost Abbey