Yellow Bus - The Lost Abbey

Yellow Bus
No picture uploaded.

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 08-03-2008)
4.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Reviewing the infamous Yellow Bus , a "yellow sour" (American wild ale) with white peaches from The Lost Abbey out of San Marcos, California. Although unsigned, the bottle has been verified as authentic.

Score: 98

2008 vintage bottle served in a Lost Abbey teku and enjoyed on 07/27/14 alongside Veritas 010.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy yellow-orange peach color that is a darker hue than the Veritas 010, with a thin later of head that settles to a ring around the glass. Has a lovely fade with an orange-ish center (this is sadly not particularly apparent in my photo). No lacing or retention. 4.5/5

Smell: Peach/peach syrup, oak, tannins and vanilla. So lovely. A hint of must and stone fruit. Has a little zesty, mildly jammy character. Quite remarkable, though not quite the best sour peach nose I have encountered to date. Lovely mix of aromatics here. 5/5

Taste: Peach, peach, peach, mineral water, a hint of stone fruit and a kiss of oak. So lovely. It's 90% peach, with a little jellied sweetness, wine, oak and other faint underlying complexities that make you doubt this is Lost Abbey. Do not get me wrong, Tomme makes some delicious sours, but subtly has never been his calling card. Finishes with lasting peach flavor. Just a hint of vinegar. More acidity/sourness if you let it sit on the tongue more. 4.75

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied, spot on carbonation. More "pop" from the cork than there was with Veritas 010. Soft tartness with a little sweetness. Virtually no acidity and has the delicateness of the best Belgian lambic, which is quite unlike Veritas 010. Excellent balance. 5/5

Overall: A remarkable ghost whale; one of the better white whales out there that I have sampled to date. It is not a unique beer so much as it is a masterfully brewed and balanced one. I would put this a half step above Fuzzy in quality, noting that it is six or so years old and thus likely faded from its peak. I personally would take a bottle like Black & Wild over this if given a choice, but this bottle did not disappoint.

Cost: Unknown (was never a bottle sold to the public).

jegross2, Aug 15, 2014

zestar, Jul 19, 2014

errantnight, Jun 18, 2014

Port_Seat, Jun 05, 2014

750ml

Yellow Bus had a hazy peach body that glows when backlit but has enough haziness to add some murk, almost like unfiltered cider. A small fizzy white head was all I could manage on a strong pour and crackles down in seconds to absolutely nothing, no collar, no lacing. The body looks extremely appetizing but the lack of any visible head is detrimental to the overall look.

Yellow Bus's aroma is out of this world good! Super acidic, bursting fresh peaches permeates every olfactory gland and nearly gets me high. The funky notes in this brew are right along the lines of Cantillon, having a ton of the same characteristics. Minerally damp rock, cobweb infested musty attic, and tart acid citric notes all bring the raucous with hints at lactic tartness as well, giving of a low level of peaches and cream. Soft oak cradles all the funk and vivid peachy qualities. I could keep my beak in the glass all night long and fall asleep a satisfied man.

This is delicious beer! As good as this tastes I think the aroma was so outstanding it simply can't be touched on the flavor. The peach works it's magic from front to back, and side to side, with puckering tart tendencies. The funk is a little subdued when taking the smell into consideration but still shows all the same aspects. The peaches add some acidic tartness while also adding a touch of sweet, juicy notes overall. This really is an amazing beer!

The body has a medium feel and the carbonation isn't quite as lively as I'd like but I'm also nitpicking here as you can see from my score. A little stickiness hits on the backend while the peach tartness runs along the sides of my tongue. Each sip leaves me parched and immediately reaching for my glass.

The drinkability is simply off the charts. Yellow Bus is sweet, sour, refreshing and complex. I could without a doubt sit around and drink this beer all day long, well, until the heartburn got too bad to take. I had a hard time setting the glass down; it really does just beckon me to drink.

As much as Lost Abbey irritates me I have to say, they can brew some incredible beers and Yellow Bus is one of them, incredible. The white peaches are a tremendous touch to a great base. It's unfortunate the looks took the hit they did as I think the score could easily be higher.

joe1510, Aug 18, 2013

toretto, Aug 16, 2013
4.84/5  rDev +5.4%

Very interesting story behind these acquisition of YB. Id like to give a big thank you to Tomme and David for authenticating my bottles. They went way out of their way to help me and it is much appreciated

A- Poured from a Tomme Arthur hand signed bottle. Beautiful apricot color with a light ring of head.

N- Peach, peach, peach.... drank next to V004/V010 and the peach in YB was more prominent. Sour notes of vinegar probably from the age. Brett and moldy peach funk

T- Fresh ripe peach as though they were picked yesterday, sour peach skins, light vinegar and brett. moderate funk, with incredibly well balanced sweet/tart characteristics. Peach e o's come to mind

M- smooth with very light carbonation.

O- The best peach sour i have ever had...hands down... My wife drank most of my pour not realizing how rare the yellow bus is. Big thanks to Mark for letting me drink pretty much half of his glass.

joel66, Apr 25, 2013
4.16/5  rDev -9.4%

Thanks Joel! Poured into LA Teku a hazy light orange, nothing remarkable. Faint peach and a fairly well rounded lactic and acetic punch to those nose. A bit of barnyardy funk, again pretty subtle. Opens with a blast of peach and nectarine, a bit of brine and apple cider vinegar over top of the peach flavor. Finishes very clean. A bit of green apple, but no oxidation. Fruit is more of an after-thought at this point, wish I could have tried this fresh. Very soft with light carbonation. Overall a great american wild, with just a touch of peach character left. This destroys fantasia and is in line with the best bottles of flaming fury I have tried, although the YB certainly has a bit more depth.

jbuddle, Apr 25, 2013
4.28/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thank you Joel! Delicious sour peach, My second time having Yellow Bus; had after Veritas 001 through 011 to my Lost Abbey Teku glass. Super sour, little bit hazy but that I flew up to cloudy noses. All peach sour, really nice, touch acetic and touch lactic, nice even a little bit of green apple and apple skin. Flavored sour with a light rice wine vinegar, peaches, peaches, and peaches. Significantly more sour and significantly less Peach than when I had it about a year and a half ago. A very nice mouthfeel, soft, sensuous touch of carbonation. Very very nice! Thanks, Joel!

BucketBoy, Apr 20, 2013
4.61/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tomme was nice enough to share it with me on a visit to the brewery about a year and a half ago. Working off of memory here...

A - Cloudy yellow, beautiful

S - Peaches, dried fruit

T - Peaches, fruit. Tart, sour, Amazingly delicous

M - Medium bodied

O - An amazing smooth tasty sour brew. Would love for LA to produce this one again...

BeerDawgs, Mar 30, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -40.1%

LAanne, Mar 24, 2013

yourefragile, Jan 16, 2013

t0rin0, Dec 12, 2012

FreshmanPour77, Aug 22, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +4.6%

A big thanks to Tomme and crew for surprising us by bringing this to our Lost Abbey tasting. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden amber color with not much head to speak of.

Smell: There is a sweetness throughout with strong tart lemon and vinegar notes. I'm also getting a funk from this beer. Very light.

Taste: This is a really tart beer. Lots of lemon and some vinegar notes as well. Quire tart in the finish. I only got a hint of peaches. This beer is extremely refreshing on such a hot day.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth tingly carbonation and and an extremely dry finish.

Overall: This beer was so light and refreshing. I loved the lemon notes. Just fantastic.

oline73, Jul 03, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottled shared by Tomme at the massive Lost Abbey tasting. Served alongside Veritas 004 and 010 (the other LA peach sours) because we are assholes.

This beer looks fantastic - I usually don't get super excited about the way a beer looks, but something about this one just screamed PEACH - it was a hazy golden-orange with a thin white head. Smell is primarily lactic sour and oak, but there's certainly still some peach here which is pretty damn impressive given the age. Flavor is (shocking) sour peach, though it's not incredibly peachy like V004 was. It's quite sour, and I'd say my only complaint, and it's a minor one, is that it's a little too acidic. There are some vinegar notes here which keep it from being a perfect beer to me, which indicates that it might be a little past it's prime at this point. Mouthfeel is light-medium body with a great spritziness. Overall, this beer is fantastic, but consumed right next to Veritas 004, which was sublime, you see what it might've been a couple of years ago. Even past its prime, this is one of the best sours out there and I'm so psyched I had a chance to try it.

starrdogg, Jul 02, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Tomme Arthur delivered this beer to my front door. Yes, I am serious. Poured into a mini snifter. RIDE THE BUS.

A - Medium golden hue with a lot of haze from the dredges. Very slight carbonation that recedes to the edge of the glass and disappears.

S - Wow. Still a ton of fresh cut peaches, mostly the skin of the peach. Good lactic smell as well.

T - Incredible. Still a bunch of peach pit in this beer. Light acidity that blends perfectly with peach.

M - Light spritzy and unbelievable drinkable. The sourness lingers well through the finish. The peach coats the back sides of my tongue.

O - I don't know what to say. This is the best experience I've ever hard in regards to beer. And this wasn't the only bottle he bought.

raveskdr, Jul 01, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -11.8%

Sufficiently lucky to have attended the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012 although I've not posted my reviews/notes until doing a couple today.

I here give a brief review for the primary purpose of stating that I've found great varience in bottles.

Summary review:

Pours a light diluted yellow with a thin white head.

Nose is typical sour/lambic tart but, this is the first bottle of a few that I've tried that actually still had a hint (and, yes...just a hint) of peaches. Some funk and tartness in the nose. Nice.

The flavor profile here is generally on many of the more recent tasting, in my opinion, more "wishful thinking" than reality, although perhaps you "younger drinkers" simply have a better palate than me. In my opinon, there is no question that this beer is very over the hill - not gone but clearly nothing like it was when produced. Past experience has led me to make the above conclusion with a fervor. Here, in this bottle, there actually was a hint of peach and fruit, something I've found to be uncharacteristic in the bottles I've tried the past two years. This bottle was much better than the bottle I provided to our California tasting last year (and yet I know that it was from the same source).

Nice mouthfeel, nice flavors and all around decent to drink. I never tasted it fresh and about which I'm sorry since I think it must have been terrific. However, in the words of Tommee Arthur at the Extreme Beer Festival over two years ago..."It's way past it's prime and nothing like it was." I can't comment on that part! But, a nice experience for what it was with this particular bottle.

GRG1313, May 26, 2012
4.5/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to Brad for sharing this beer at the DC sour tasting. Served in a Lost Abbey Teku glass because this was my only opportunity to drink this beer, might as well do it in style.

Beer is yellow and mildly hazy with a lazy white head, wispy, attracted to the glass, some lacing, moderate carbonation, looks really good.

There was some debate about how much peach was left in the aroma but I picked it out immediately. It is mildly acetic, tart, nice peach aroma without being overwhelming. Strong, sour finish.

Beer is light in body and quite tart on the back end. Some odd bitterness at the finish, mildly dry on the backend as well. Strong beer, forward in bite and brightness. Nice carbonic and lactic acid with hints of citrus and a mild funk at the end. An awesome beer for sure. Thanks again.

drabmuh, Apr 19, 2012
4.58/5  rDev -0.2%

From 04/14/12. Huge huge thanks to ygtbsm94 for sharing this one; thanks Brad! A beer I never thought I'd get to try.

a - Pours a murky dark orange color with one inch of white head and low carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour peaches, and light fruits, fruity malts, brett, light funk, fruity malts. A ton of fruit which surprised me given the age, and some light funk. Very nice nose.

t - Tastes of sour peaches, sour fruity malts, light fruits, oak, funk, brett. Taste is more tart then the nose and a step up for me.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Easy to drink sour.

o - Overall I thought this was a great beer. I was struck by how much fruit was still in the nose and taste. The nose had some nice light funk and the taste had more sour peaches. Much better then Synergy, though I preferred DDG and Izzy to this one.

mdfb79, Apr 19, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94 at our insane sour ale tasting last weekend. Thanks Brad.

The beer appears golden yellow hued with a thin white head. To my delight and surprise, the aroma brings the pleasant scent of peaches. The flavor takes it up a level, with a perfect blend of tart acidity, peaches, and Lost Abbey funk. Simply delicious. This was an instant favorite for me. Light in body, this was highly drinkable. This certainly lived up to the hype and high expectations. I only hope that Tomme brews this again.

Huhzubendah, Apr 18, 2012
4.28/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottle at the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012. Served in a Lost Abbey Teku. Huge thanks to Brad for bringing this one out.

Pours a cloudy yellow-golden color with a thin white head. Decent retention and a few spots of lacing as it goes down.

The nose carries a moderate amount of peaches with some backing acidity and general fruitiness. A bit of earthiness there as well. Mild Brett funk.

The flavor kicks it up a notch with a really deep peach flavor that could clearly only come from the fruit of a single tree. Even after all these years, it's quite clear that a mythical tree alone could have produced such wondrous fruit. Oops, I was wrong -- this tastes like yellow peaches. The kind you can buy at any farmers market. Probably not from a shitty grocery store, though. I'll give them that.

After wading through the peach mystery, I got some light funk and moderate-to-heavy acidity with average carbonation and a light body with a dry finish.

Overall, this was quite good. I didn't like it as much as the Isabelle we had beside it, though it was more-intensely fruity. Overall, quite good, though not quite a to-do-for creation.

Thorpe429, Apr 18, 2012