2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Yellow Bus - The Lost Abbey

Yellow Bus
No picture uploaded.

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: seaoflament on 08-03-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 74 | Reviews: 58 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by CoolJosh:
CoolJosh

4.95/5  rDev +7.6%

This beer was, uhhh, AWESOME! Huge thanks to the 7th most generous BA Treyrab for breaking this one out tonight. I never thought this one was obtainable, so I never even considered looking for it. This maniac opens a box from one of his trading partners one day and after he told me what the unlabeled bottle was, I legitimately shit in my pants. This beer was:

Appearance. Looks really good. A nice orange light brown haze. Moderate amounts of carbonation stream to the top, and a small foamy white head produces only to completely diminish in under a minute. This was much hazier then I expected, granted it only sat for about a week. Still, would have had haze regardless of whether or not the yeast had fully settled out and looks similar to a darker hefeweizen with a low head yeild.

Holy unlyrical lyrics batman, she's fucking wild!!! Ultra tart with tons of acetic qualities. A funky cheese scent is the first thing that hits the nose, even after we through out the limburger (not a joke, we actually thought it would be interesting to pair try this cheese). A beautiful light vanilla softly touches my olfactory nerves in ways you can't understand. A beautiful light peach rests gently with some tart characteristics. White grapes gracefully dance in the air. Reminiscent of a dry chardonnay. I had to snap myself out of lala land and remember to drink the beer...

F¨çking goodness, this beer is the definition of half beer half amazing. I sat in my rocking chair outside completely blown away. That same great stinky cheese funk played the the saxophone on my palate like Sly and the Family Stone. The flavor is so full and powerful; it's like a loud techno dance party is going on in my mouth. So mouth puckering and tart. The bitter lemon is wild like a Tasmanian devil. A sharpness is created by the amped up carbonation (wishful thought reminiscing on the days when LA didn't have bottling problems). The peach that everybody keeps talking about is there. The oak dryness is magnificent. How is the drinkability? More please!

08-23-2009 03:14:36 | More by CoolJosh
joe1510

750ml

Yellow Bus had a hazy peach body that glows when backlit but has enough haziness to add some murk, almost like unfiltered cider. A small fizzy white head was all I could manage on a strong pour and crackles down in seconds to absolutely nothing, no collar, no lacing. The body looks extremely appetizing but the lack of any visible head is detrimental to the overall look.

Yellow Bus's aroma is out of this world good! Super acidic, bursting fresh peaches permeates every olfactory gland and nearly gets me high. The funky notes in this brew are right along the lines of Cantillon, having a ton of the same characteristics. Minerally damp rock, cobweb infested musty attic, and tart acid citric notes all bring the raucous with hints at lactic tartness as well, giving of a low level of peaches and cream. Soft oak cradles all the funk and vivid peachy qualities. I could keep my beak in the glass all night long and fall asleep a satisfied man.

This is delicious beer! As good as this tastes I think the aroma was so outstanding it simply can't be touched on the flavor. The peach works it's magic from front to back, and side to side, with puckering tart tendencies. The funk is a little subdued when taking the smell into consideration but still shows all the same aspects. The peaches add some acidic tartness while also adding a touch of sweet, juicy notes overall. This really is an amazing beer!

The body has a medium feel and the carbonation isn't quite as lively as I'd like but I'm also nitpicking here as you can see from my score. A little stickiness hits on the backend while the peach tartness runs along the sides of my tongue. Each sip leaves me parched and immediately reaching for my glass.

The drinkability is simply off the charts. Yellow Bus is sweet, sour, refreshing and complex. I could without a doubt sit around and drink this beer all day long, well, until the heartburn got too bad to take. I had a hard time setting the glass down; it really does just beckon me to drink.

As much as Lost Abbey irritates me I have to say, they can brew some incredible beers and Yellow Bus is one of them, incredible. The white peaches are a tremendous touch to a great base. It's unfortunate the looks took the hit they did as I think the score could easily be higher.

08-18-2013 22:17:07 | More by joe1510
toretto

Connecticut

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

08-16-2013 20:38:18 | More by toretto
joel66

4.84/5  rDev +5.2%

Very interesting story behind these acquisition of YB. Id like to give a big thank you to Tomme and David for authenticating my bottles. They went way out of their way to help me and it is much appreciated

A- Poured from a Tomme Arthur hand signed bottle. Beautiful apricot color with a light ring of head.

N- Peach, peach, peach.... drank next to V004/V010 and the peach in YB was more prominent. Sour notes of vinegar probably from the age. Brett and moldy peach funk

T- Fresh ripe peach as though they were picked yesterday, sour peach skins, light vinegar and brett. moderate funk, with incredibly well balanced sweet/tart characteristics. Peach e o's come to mind

M- smooth with very light carbonation.

O- The best peach sour i have ever had...hands down... My wife drank most of my pour not realizing how rare the yellow bus is. Big thanks to Mark for letting me drink pretty much half of his glass.

04-25-2013 15:16:40 | More by joel66
jbuddle

4.16/5  rDev -9.6%

Thanks Joel! Poured into LA Teku a hazy light orange, nothing remarkable. Faint peach and a fairly well rounded lactic and acetic punch to those nose. A bit of barnyardy funk, again pretty subtle. Opens with a blast of peach and nectarine, a bit of brine and apple cider vinegar over top of the peach flavor. Finishes very clean. A bit of green apple, but no oxidation. Fruit is more of an after-thought at this point, wish I could have tried this fresh. Very soft with light carbonation. Overall a great american wild, with just a touch of peach character left. This destroys fantasia and is in line with the best bottles of flaming fury I have tried, although the YB certainly has a bit more depth.

04-25-2013 13:43:31 | More by jbuddle
BucketBoy

4.28/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thank you Joel! Delicious sour peach, My second time having Yellow Bus; had after Veritas 001 through 011 to my Lost Abbey Teku glass. Super sour, little bit hazy but that I flew up to cloudy noses. All peach sour, really nice, touch acetic and touch lactic, nice even a little bit of green apple and apple skin. Flavored sour with a light rice wine vinegar, peaches, peaches, and peaches. Significantly more sour and significantly less Peach than when I had it about a year and a half ago. A very nice mouthfeel, soft, sensuous touch of carbonation. Very very nice! Thanks, Joel!

04-20-2013 19:51:42 | More by BucketBoy
BeerDawgs

Georgia

4.61/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tomme was nice enough to share it with me on a visit to the brewery about a year and a half ago. Working off of memory here...

A - Cloudy yellow, beautiful

S - Peaches, dried fruit

T - Peaches, fruit. Tart, sour, Amazingly delicous

M - Medium bodied

O - An amazing smooth tasty sour brew. Would love for LA to produce this one again...

03-30-2013 02:16:01 | More by BeerDawgs

08-22-2012 17:37:02 | More by FreshmanPour77
oline73

Maryland

4.8/5  rDev +4.3%

A big thanks to Tomme and crew for surprising us by bringing this to our Lost Abbey tasting. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden amber color with not much head to speak of.

Smell: There is a sweetness throughout with strong tart lemon and vinegar notes. I'm also getting a funk from this beer. Very light.

Taste: This is a really tart beer. Lots of lemon and some vinegar notes as well. Quire tart in the finish. I only got a hint of peaches. This beer is extremely refreshing on such a hot day.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth tingly carbonation and and an extremely dry finish.

Overall: This beer was so light and refreshing. I loved the lemon notes. Just fantastic.

07-03-2012 00:37:34 | More by oline73
starrdogg

4.48/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottled shared by Tomme at the massive Lost Abbey tasting. Served alongside Veritas 004 and 010 (the other LA peach sours) because we are assholes.

This beer looks fantastic - I usually don't get super excited about the way a beer looks, but something about this one just screamed PEACH - it was a hazy golden-orange with a thin white head. Smell is primarily lactic sour and oak, but there's certainly still some peach here which is pretty damn impressive given the age. Flavor is (shocking) sour peach, though it's not incredibly peachy like V004 was. It's quite sour, and I'd say my only complaint, and it's a minor one, is that it's a little too acidic. There are some vinegar notes here which keep it from being a perfect beer to me, which indicates that it might be a little past it's prime at this point. Mouthfeel is light-medium body with a great spritziness. Overall, this beer is fantastic, but consumed right next to Veritas 004, which was sublime, you see what it might've been a couple of years ago. Even past its prime, this is one of the best sours out there and I'm so psyched I had a chance to try it.

07-02-2012 20:14:39 | More by starrdogg
raveskdr

4.93/5  rDev +7.2%

Tomme Arthur delivered this beer to my front door. Yes, I am serious. Poured into a mini snifter. RIDE THE BUS.

A - Medium golden hue with a lot of haze from the dredges. Very slight carbonation that recedes to the edge of the glass and disappears.

S - Wow. Still a ton of fresh cut peaches, mostly the skin of the peach. Good lactic smell as well.

T - Incredible. Still a bunch of peach pit in this beer. Light acidity that blends perfectly with peach.

M - Light spritzy and unbelievable drinkable. The sourness lingers well through the finish. The peach coats the back sides of my tongue.

O - I don't know what to say. This is the best experience I've ever hard in regards to beer. And this wasn't the only bottle he bought.

07-01-2012 19:15:40 | More by raveskdr
GRG1313

4.05/5  rDev -12%

Sufficiently lucky to have attended the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012 although I've not posted my reviews/notes until doing a couple today.

I here give a brief review for the primary purpose of stating that I've found great varience in bottles.

Summary review:

Pours a light diluted yellow with a thin white head.

Nose is typical sour/lambic tart but, this is the first bottle of a few that I've tried that actually still had a hint (and, yes...just a hint) of peaches. Some funk and tartness in the nose. Nice.

The flavor profile here is generally on many of the more recent tasting, in my opinion, more "wishful thinking" than reality, although perhaps you "younger drinkers" simply have a better palate than me. In my opinon, there is no question that this beer is very over the hill - not gone but clearly nothing like it was when produced. Past experience has led me to make the above conclusion with a fervor. Here, in this bottle, there actually was a hint of peach and fruit, something I've found to be uncharacteristic in the bottles I've tried the past two years. This bottle was much better than the bottle I provided to our California tasting last year (and yet I know that it was from the same source).

Nice mouthfeel, nice flavors and all around decent to drink. I never tasted it fresh and about which I'm sorry since I think it must have been terrific. However, in the words of Tommee Arthur at the Extreme Beer Festival over two years ago..."It's way past it's prime and nothing like it was." I can't comment on that part! But, a nice experience for what it was with this particular bottle.

05-26-2012 11:19:54 | More by GRG1313
drabmuh

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to Brad for sharing this beer at the DC sour tasting. Served in a Lost Abbey Teku glass because this was my only opportunity to drink this beer, might as well do it in style.

Beer is yellow and mildly hazy with a lazy white head, wispy, attracted to the glass, some lacing, moderate carbonation, looks really good.

There was some debate about how much peach was left in the aroma but I picked it out immediately. It is mildly acetic, tart, nice peach aroma without being overwhelming. Strong, sour finish.

Beer is light in body and quite tart on the back end. Some odd bitterness at the finish, mildly dry on the backend as well. Strong beer, forward in bite and brightness. Nice carbonic and lactic acid with hints of citrus and a mild funk at the end. An awesome beer for sure. Thanks again.

04-19-2012 19:02:04 | More by drabmuh
mdfb79

4.58/5  rDev -0.4%

From 04/14/12. Huge huge thanks to ygtbsm94 for sharing this one; thanks Brad! A beer I never thought I'd get to try.

a - Pours a murky dark orange color with one inch of white head and low carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour peaches, and light fruits, fruity malts, brett, light funk, fruity malts. A ton of fruit which surprised me given the age, and some light funk. Very nice nose.

t - Tastes of sour peaches, sour fruity malts, light fruits, oak, funk, brett. Taste is more tart then the nose and a step up for me.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Easy to drink sour.

o - Overall I thought this was a great beer. I was struck by how much fruit was still in the nose and taste. The nose had some nice light funk and the taste had more sour peaches. Much better then Synergy, though I preferred DDG and Izzy to this one.

04-19-2012 01:05:15 | More by mdfb79
Huhzubendah

4.85/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94 at our insane sour ale tasting last weekend. Thanks Brad.

The beer appears golden yellow hued with a thin white head. To my delight and surprise, the aroma brings the pleasant scent of peaches. The flavor takes it up a level, with a perfect blend of tart acidity, peaches, and Lost Abbey funk. Simply delicious. This was an instant favorite for me. Light in body, this was highly drinkable. This certainly lived up to the hype and high expectations. I only hope that Tomme brews this again.

04-18-2012 22:58:04 | More by Huhzubendah
Thorpe429

4.28/5  rDev -7%

Bottle at the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012. Served in a Lost Abbey Teku. Huge thanks to Brad for bringing this one out.

Pours a cloudy yellow-golden color with a thin white head. Decent retention and a few spots of lacing as it goes down.

The nose carries a moderate amount of peaches with some backing acidity and general fruitiness. A bit of earthiness there as well. Mild Brett funk.

The flavor kicks it up a notch with a really deep peach flavor that could clearly only come from the fruit of a single tree. Even after all these years, it's quite clear that a mythical tree alone could have produced such wondrous fruit. Oops, I was wrong -- this tastes like yellow peaches. The kind you can buy at any farmers market. Probably not from a shitty grocery store, though. I'll give them that.

After wading through the peach mystery, I got some light funk and moderate-to-heavy acidity with average carbonation and a light body with a dry finish.

Overall, this was quite good. I didn't like it as much as the Isabelle we had beside it, though it was more-intensely fruity. Overall, quite good, though not quite a to-do-for creation.

04-18-2012 10:23:58 | More by Thorpe429