Veritas 004 - The Lost Abbey

Veritas 004Veritas 004

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 11-16-2008)
Reviews by vacax:
4.85/5  rDev +4.5%

Lost Abey Barrel Party 2008 memento. Poured into my trusty Bruery tulip. Pale gold, slight cloudiness, white head is relatively fleeting, clings to the edges of the glass, some effervescence present as bubbles periodically surface. Aroma of grapefruit citrusy sourness, apparent sourness with lactic and large amounts of funk for an American Wild, fuzzy fruitiness reminds of stone fruit.

Robustly funky sourness hits the front of the palate immediately. The funk in this beer is something extremely rare to American wild ales, reminiscent of a classic Belgian lambic, but cleaner and brighter and avoiding any of the common pitfalls like overt acetic acid. There is a fruity quality that reminds me of stone fruit and grapefruit pith, almost floral until it grips the sides of my tongue with the sourness. The body is light and slightly bubbly, but the tartness on the palate makes an enchanting combination of feeling both airy and incredibly rich. The feeling folllows down the back of the tongue on the swallow and the tart dry fruit finish tingles the tip of the tongue, begging another sip.

I'm sure descriptors have been piled onto this beer in countless reviews, but I wanted to attempt describing the experience of drinking this beer. Drinking a glass of this beer is a legitimate treat. This is quite literally a once-in-a-lifetime beer that can never be recreated, which is sad because the quality of flavor is every bit as rarely euphoric. At 3+ years I find no degradation in flavor either.

Plainly, Veritas 004 is one of the best beers in existence.

4.75/5  rDev +2.4%

4.71/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Drank at a NWIBDU tasting. Thanks guys!

S - Peaches, peach skin, sweet tarts, lemon and a light farmhouse funk wrap up a great nose.

T - Tart, lemon, light lactic acid, peach, lemon peel, and oak. The beer has a lot of tartness but it balanced extremely well with the light sweetness of the peaches. Really a great and flavorful sour.

M - Light carbonation in a light body that would make this dangerous if you could get more than a bottle. Tart dry finish

O - Really an outstanding sour that has a great balance between the tartness of the base sour balanced well with the sweetness of the peaches.

4.25/5  rDev -8.4%

4.47/5  rDev -3.7%

Sampled on Christmas Day thanks to my cousin, krkearney. The beer poured a cloudy golden, yellow color with a half inch thick white head. The nose had a nice aroma of citrus fruits, a bit earthy and yeast notes as well. The taste is wonderful. Tart up front with a nice mix of sweet as well. I also got a touch of wood character and some buttery notes as well. Another fine Lost Abbey beer.

4.53/5  rDev -2.4%

Had this monster side by side with Isabelle Dec 2012.

I wont be going into extreme detail since all tasting notes can be reviewed below but I can tell you that the nose and taste of the fading peaches is fantastic. I would not wait any longer to enjoy this. I can only imagine how good this beer was a few years ago. Very mild carb, almost no head when poured. IP + V004 blend is amazing do to what I felt was better mouthfeel and carb on the IP.

4.8/5  rDev +3.4%

Shared by Steve (fbm115) at a tasting 5/29/10. 4oz. pour from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a 1 finger quickly evaporating coarse white head. Beer is a cloudy lemon-yellow. Lacing is non-existant with the tiny bit of spottiness here and there.

S: Lemon, cherry, sweet and sour peach. Wood, peat, and earthiness are all present to complement the fruit. Slight ethanol in the background. Good complexity here but what makes this is that the fruit flavors are easily distinguishable and all very potent.

T: Big tartness at the outset makes my face cringe. Mellow lemons with peach in the background. On my second sip, I get a bit more used to the sour. Malt profile kicks in with cherries and a different side of the peach. Finish is citrussy but clean and dry. Aftertaste is near non-existant.

M: Light bodied, highly carbonated, and very lively and coarse. Dry in the mouth and dry at the finish with a great, clean aftertaste that gets you ready for the next sip.

D: This beer clearly stands out for me from the heavily loaded and hyped veritas series. Great complexity and cleaness here with a spot-on mouthfeel. The nose provides a glimpse of what the beer is all about and then the flavors follow through perfectly. An amazing brew, if you're ever going to try to acquire a veritas, let it be this one, it more than does its siblings justice. And really, as a fellow BA said, "if the beer tastes amazing, who the heck cares what it looks like!"

3.75/5  rDev -19.2%

4.7/5  rDev +1.3%

REVIEW #420

served in a lost abbey stemmed glass

pours a slightly orange and hazy yellow. very light carbonation and head. light retention.

scent was a bit subtle. light oak and lemon with a faint bit of citrus. very zesty.

the taste.. moderate sourness. lots of citrus. a very nice complex blend of apricot, peach, lemon, red grape, and light oak. this was a lot more simple than i had expected, yet very perfect as far as sourness to fruit and flavor blend.

nice moderate carbonation, bit of zest on the tongue. nice light dryness with a hint of sweetness. nice sour zing on the tongue to finish this off.

ok.. this is good. is it whale like? hell, yeah. the apricot flavor is in it is just amazing. nothing to overpowering.

4.4/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle via trade, big thanks to KRAMER17801. Shared at my buddy Roger (Sandstone on BA)'s birthday dinner/bottle share.

Pours a mostly clear golden color with a one-finger, somewhat fizzy head and some floating yeast colonies.

Aroma is lemony tartness, funk, and light fruits. Smells pretty sour, but nice.

Flavor is amazing and complex. Funk, lemon, unripe peach, cherry, and orange. Definitely some brett in there. Long, tart finish.

Medium-bodied with prickly carbonation and a lively mouthfeel. Great acidity.

Drinkability is very high. Overall, yep, it's a good one, and sadly probably the closest I'll ever come to trying Yellow Bus. For consolation though, this is pretty much everything I expected Yellow Bus to be.

4.38/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle shared with me by Jessethehutt, JRhode, and JHamel... thanks guys!!

Pours a kinda hazy golden. Soap sudsy white head. The smell brings the salivation reflex instantaneously. A sweet citric acid sour aroma. Taste is like the sour lemon bubblelicioius I use to buy as a kid... that one who's flavor would only last for like 10 seconds. Thankfully the flavor of this beer is not so fleeting. Great mouthfeel with prickly carbonation. Couldn't really pick up any other nuances but overall I really liked this beer.

4.95/5  rDev +6.7%

I feel so privileged to get a chance to drink this fine beer. Thanks, Jason.

Pour is fairly nondescript. A billowing white cap on top of a hazy, yellow body. Orange highlights are evident. The head dissipates to nothing in virtually no time flat.

Aroma. Hot damn. Peaches and tropical fruits (mango, pineapple), lactic sourness, funk. The aroma is absolutely intoxicating.

Not the sourest beer I've had, but it's in the conversation. Big sour peach, tangy, long lasting finish that lingers on the tongue. I'm glad to see that the couple years in the bottle hasn't obliterated the fruit component of this beer... I wonder how it (or if it) could have been better than it is now.

Mouthfeel is perfect. No two ways about it. Medium bodied, vigorous but not overbearing carbonation. Simultaneously dry and a tiny bit sticky-ish on the finish.

Drinkability is just off the charts. I could polish a whole bottle off myself in no time flat. I just have to be patient with this... take my time... because I just don't see myself getting another chance at trying this beer.

Damn you, Tomme. Brew this again. Seriously. It's practically criminal that this could be a one-off. I was concerned that the accolades around this beer have given me unrealistic expectations and I was bound to be disappointed... nope. Not even close. Whew.

4.5/5  rDev -3%

Big thanks to waltonc for this in another generously shared beer drinking event.

A: Hazy golden yellow with a small head. My initial thought is "Oh no, not another no carbonation Lost Abbey beer." But overall a good looking beer.

S: A slight muskiness similar to an aged lambic. But not nearly as complex. Sour peaches, and other stone fruit.

T/M: Tart and funky, with the stone fruit flavors really dominating for me. The mouthfeel was mostly typical of a good sour--dry, and acidic. But then there's the lack of carbonation. Although not as uncarbonated as other LAs, I still think it detracts overall from the beer. Sour beers just taste better with carbonation, in my opinion.

D: Goes down pretty well. But drinkability is hindered by the fact that there's very little supply of this stuff.

Overall, solid effort. I wouldn't put this in the upper echelon of sours but enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks to fbm115 for sharing this bottle at a tasting on 5/29/10. Poured approx. 4oz. from a 750ml bottle into a small snifter.

A: Glowing straw color with fizzy "tight-bubble" carbonation.

S: Lemon drop shot! Smells delicious.

T: Sweet to start - lots of apples, pears, and peaches with tannins going to work to produce a tart finish.

M: A little flat despite the appearance.

D: Very refreshing. A beer that I could drink all the time.

Overall, this is probably the best Veritas in the series so far.

4.68/5  rDev +0.9%

Numbeercruncher threw this in as an EXTRA back in Nov, '08.... Great trade and then Matt threw off the whole equilibrium by including this... I've been sitting on this bottle for a long time and wanted to make sure that the proper Peeps had a chance to enjoy it.... We had a great tasting last weekend... This was one of the first bottles.

Hazy yellow.. nice head and retention..

Nose is amazing... very balanced sour.. oak.. musty/basement underripe apricot.. bits and pieces of funky brett.. lemon zest.. dank hay....

very tart out of the gate.... green apple skin.. meyer lemon zest.. I swear there is some "peach" essence in there... dips into some gueze "lite" category... funky and very elegant.. some pronounced lactic traces on late pours..

Amazing.... incredibly well done.... I had a couple of pours of Yellow Bus at the GABF and I think the Veritas actually had more Peachy qualitities... Wonderful... worthy of the hype for sure.

4/5/4.5/4.5/5

4.97/5  rDev +7.1%

Oh hell yeah. I am a very lucky man to be able to finally try this very rare, and utterly fantastic beer. Served chilled and poured into a snifter, this 750ml wonder was consumed on 05/16/2009.

The pour was brilliant and just what I would expect to be/ Light golden amber in color with with a big foamy head of white on top. Really cloudy and hazy and this gave it a much fuller look. Definitley going to be a winner here. Ohh, the rich funky nose on this one, I am melting into the chair. Sour apples, lots of light fruit notes, touch of grassy hops, wow. Perfect here in nearly every way. Not too heavy, and the tartness and sour is perfectly placed. As I sip I close my eyes and the tartest granny smith apple I have ever had combines with a pear and just shreds through my mouth. Lip puckering, perfectly balanced. I am floored. Letting it sit perhaps a touch of cherries works its way in, still light hops drying the palate and sourness that is not overwhelming but just will not quit. Perfect carbonation and medium body with no hint of alcohol at all.

Overall this is hands down the best beer I have ever had from Lost Abbey, and pretty much the best sour I have had, aside from that first batch Beatification. This beer isperfect, seriously. I had heard it was good, but shit, this is excellence. I have had my faith in LA temporarily renewed after this.

Veritas 004 from The Lost Abbey