2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Veritas 004 - The Lost Abbey

Veritas 004Veritas 004

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 11-16-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 136 | Reviews: 87 | Show All Ratings:
Overlord

Thanks for the trade!

Pours a hazy golden orange. An inch or so of white sandy foam. Smell is sour funk. Lively vinegar and lemon in the aroma. Old blanket mustiness and raw green apples.

Taste is insanely vinous. Unripe grapes, explosive vinegar, acidic lemon ... this is an ass puckeringly sour beer. Bit of a fruit/berry component ... I'd describe it as peach-ified raspberries. Lively peaches lingering on the aftertaste and dancing amongst the flavors. Great balancing fruit to liven up the acidic tartness.

Great carbonation. Really keeps the beer lively, effervescent, and the flavors just keep on popping.

***updating my review. This is as good as it gets.

01-14-2009 07:58:01 | More by Overlord
tpd975

Huge thanks to fogdog for bringing this one to a crazy ass sour tasting.

A: Pours a nice light golden hue with some cloudiness. The head is light but bubbly. Shows some pretty nice lace.

S: Citric fruit and acid notes from the start. Hints of peaches, with a hint of barn yard funk.

T: Mmm peaches! The citrus is there as well. Hints of hay and barn yard funk. Strawberries make an enterence with lemon zest. Just a touch of oak. Nice balance of sweet and tart.

M: Light zippy carbonation to carry the flavors.

D: Good, my favorite in a sour tasting that included most of the big boys.

09-04-2009 13:33:56 | More by tpd975
Floydster

4.97/5  rDev +7.1%

750 ml corked and caged bottle, also had several tasters of it on tap last night, tasted better out of the bottle to me though, poured into my small Three Philosophers glass

A-Color is a golden yellow with some orange tint, a very aggressive pour resulted only in a 1/4 inch bubbly white head that went away quickly, no retention or lacing
S-Peaches were by far the most dominant smell in here, a bunch of other fruits though including plum, papayas, pineapple, grapefruit, also cherries, oak, mild vanilla, honey, and sour tart
T-Starts off with a gueuze-like introduction, dry and funky with a citrus bite, cherries and oak in the middle, lots of peaches and sourness in the finish, aftertaste is bone dry much like several different blended lambics, gets slightly sweeter as it warms but that funky component is still there mixed with the various tarty fruit flavors, not vinegary at all but it has that nice zing that you get from an aged lambic mixed with some Cuvee characteristics as far as the booze and cherries go, like the oaky component and how it evolves with each sip, this stuff was all over the place but tasted awesome, I wanted more the day after the party so bad that I had to open a bottle, that should say something right there
M-Tart, fruity, funky, and pungent mouthfeel, carbonation is fairly soft right now but that is just because it is a little young in the bottle and I actually preferred it that way, medium body, taste lingers
D-Could drink this stuff all day and night but that would get expensive and impossible because of bottle limits, rarity, etc., it goes down very easy, alcohol is hidden incredibly well, very easy to drink for a sour

This beer consists of two different barrels of Duck Duck Gooze, Yellow Bus, and Cuvee de Tomme, it is the best Veritas yet hands down and will only get better with age in my opinion, probably best brew from Lost Abbey period, it is the first light colored Veritas too as all the others have been various shades of brown to date, Tomme was really proud how this one turned out, I look forward to drinking this again, I am very grateful that I went to the party and was able to get my hands on some, highly recommended

11-17-2008 01:44:44 | More by Floydster
antilogic

4.97/5  rDev +7.1%

One of my new favorites. Had it at Lost Abbey Barrel Night and am looking forward to trying it in the bottles I was lucky enough to pick up!

Knowing what goes into this beer allows the taster to really dissect it. I can taste the peaches and fruits of the Yellow Bus, the pungent tartness of the DDG, and a multitude of other flavors that are strong but compliment each other very, very well.

The head was light on my tasters, but I imagine the bottle conditioned version will have a bit more of a head. The color was gold and slightly orange in the poorly lit barrel room...The aroma and taste was loud with pineapple, peach; slightly sour with a surprisingly medium/full mouthful.

Incredibly good, and dangerously drinkable! My favorite of the night, and of LA to-date.

11-17-2008 03:57:19 | More by antilogic
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +7.1%

Oh hell yeah. I am a very lucky man to be able to finally try this very rare, and utterly fantastic beer. Served chilled and poured into a snifter, this 750ml wonder was consumed on 05/16/2009.

The pour was brilliant and just what I would expect to be/ Light golden amber in color with with a big foamy head of white on top. Really cloudy and hazy and this gave it a much fuller look. Definitley going to be a winner here. Ohh, the rich funky nose on this one, I am melting into the chair. Sour apples, lots of light fruit notes, touch of grassy hops, wow. Perfect here in nearly every way. Not too heavy, and the tartness and sour is perfectly placed. As I sip I close my eyes and the tartest granny smith apple I have ever had combines with a pear and just shreds through my mouth. Lip puckering, perfectly balanced. I am floored. Letting it sit perhaps a touch of cherries works its way in, still light hops drying the palate and sourness that is not overwhelming but just will not quit. Perfect carbonation and medium body with no hint of alcohol at all.

Overall this is hands down the best beer I have ever had from Lost Abbey, and pretty much the best sour I have had, aside from that first batch Beatification. This beer isperfect, seriously. I had heard it was good, but shit, this is excellence. I have had my faith in LA temporarily renewed after this.

05-17-2009 02:04:14 | More by mikesgroove
HopHead84

7/5/2010

Old review deleted and rereviewed...the old review made no sense.

This beer is composed of Yellow Bus, Mellow Yellow (barrel aged Amigo Lager), and sour Avant Garde.

Poured into a tulip, the beer is bright golden with a frothy white head that quickly dissipates.

The aroma is of tart and sweet peaches, with light citrus and notes of oak. Brettanomyces impart barnyard notes, as well as wet horse blanket, hay, and a goatey, musty cheese character. This is outstanding. The nose is mildly lactic. Easily one of the best aromas I've witnessed on an American Wild Ale.

The taste is tart and sour up front, more so than when it was first released. Musty Brett notes and a blend of sour and tart peaches accompany a lemony citric acid piquancy and a light lactic presence. Notes of cheese, musty barnyard, and wheat are apparent. The dry finish displays a mouth puckering tartness that combines beautifully with the citrus, oak, lactic, and Brett notes. Outstanding!

The beer is light bodied with an upper medium level of carbonation and a dry, crisp, and spritzy mouthfeel. This is a truly special beer and I believe it's the best sour I've had. Unreal. This is up there with any Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen that I've tried.

10/07/2012

I opened my last bottle of Veritas 004 tonight and it's still a stunning beer. This has held up amazingly well and it's 4 years old at this point. I wish I had another case to see how it further develops because this has defied the typical American Wild Ale trend of falling off after a couple years. I'm not sure if I'll see another beer like 004, but I hope I do.

07-06-2010 22:50:11 | More by HopHead84
davod23

4.95/5  rDev +6.7%

I feel so privileged to get a chance to drink this fine beer. Thanks, Jason.

Pour is fairly nondescript. A billowing white cap on top of a hazy, yellow body. Orange highlights are evident. The head dissipates to nothing in virtually no time flat.

Aroma. Hot damn. Peaches and tropical fruits (mango, pineapple), lactic sourness, funk. The aroma is absolutely intoxicating.

Not the sourest beer I've had, but it's in the conversation. Big sour peach, tangy, long lasting finish that lingers on the tongue. I'm glad to see that the couple years in the bottle hasn't obliterated the fruit component of this beer... I wonder how it (or if it) could have been better than it is now.

Mouthfeel is perfect. No two ways about it. Medium bodied, vigorous but not overbearing carbonation. Simultaneously dry and a tiny bit sticky-ish on the finish.

Drinkability is just off the charts. I could polish a whole bottle off myself in no time flat. I just have to be patient with this... take my time... because I just don't see myself getting another chance at trying this beer.

Damn you, Tomme. Brew this again. Seriously. It's practically criminal that this could be a one-off. I was concerned that the accolades around this beer have given me unrealistic expectations and I was bound to be disappointed... nope. Not even close. Whew.

08-15-2010 05:00:20 | More by davod23
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.95/5  rDev +6.7%

Consumed with all ten Veritas beers on April 14, 2012. Shared by GRG1313. Thank you Richard!

This was still a standout beer for me, even among the world's best lambics and wild ales. A phenomenal beer. One of the best sour ales ever brewed in the United States.

***
Original review: 21 March 2011

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad! Served side by side with Veritas 006. Awesome? Indeed.

The beer appears hazy and straw yellow in color. A few pockets of bubbles cling together tightly, resembling suspended grape bunches. The beer has a thin and wispy head that fades to virtually nothing after a few minutes.

Like the Veritas 006, the aroma here is simply world class, albeit an entirely different beer than the 006. I can really pick out the Duck Duck Gooze in the nose, as the scent offers a prominent dosage of gueuze. Other notable scents include funk, subtle barrels (oak), hay, and a light helping of tart fruit.

Incredibly wonderful, complex, and delicious. The beer is slightly tannic and finishes with a splendid acetic bite. Peaches emerge more in the taste than in the olfactory senses. This must be the elusive Yellow Bus flavor.

The feel is medium / thin bodied with a wonderful, puckering finish. Complex and intriguing, I could sip this gem all night long.

Overall, one of the best sour / wild ales I have ever had and one of the best beers I have yet to enjoy, regardless of style.

04-20-2012 04:40:13 | More by Huhzubendah
Jmoore50

Nevada

4.93/5  rDev +6.3%

This has been one of those beers that I thought I would never get to try. I know what Lost Abbey is capable of, but this is an outstanding Wild Ale that was very impressive.

The cork pops open and an amazing smell fills the room. I aggressively pour the beer into an Anderson Valley tulip. The beer is a beautiful golden color. It creates a snow white head two finger head that eventually disappears, but leaves a collar around the glass. It has an incredibly oily consistency that leaves wine-like legs on the sides of the glass.

The smell is perfect. This beer being over two years old and still holding all of these fresh fruit smells and tastes is amazing. Ripe peaches with sour green apples, lemon rind and funk. Great notes of oak with tart grapefruit.

This is such a complex beer that has so many different layers of flavor. Like I said about the smell, the fresh fruit is still so strong that it makes me wonder what this beer was like fresh. Peaches is such a strong fruit in this as well as green apples, pineapple, and tart lemon rind. The sourness on this is superb with a great lactic flavor.

The acidity on this tore my palate to pieces, and it did even worse on my stomach. It was incredibly tart with a great oily body that coated my entire mouth. It has a great carbonation that works well with the flavors. The acidity burned going down my throat and was like a bomb in my stomach. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer, I wish I had a few more bottles of this. After trying this beer I now REALLY want to try Yellow Bus. Bravo to Lost Abbey. When they do it right, they knock it out of the park.
J

09-08-2010 04:37:34 | More by Jmoore50
hopdog

4.9/5  rDev +5.6%

750ml caged and corked bottle acquired in trade.

Poured a medium and cloudy golden/yellow color with an averaged sized white head. Aromas of brett, woody, citrus, and fruity. Tastes of citrus, lemony, brett, funky, vanilla, and just all around 'greatness'. Had a nice tart and puckering finish that wasn't overpowering. This one kept me wanting more...I must have more.

01-30-2009 22:14:52 | More by hopdog
sweemzander

4.9/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle poured into a tasting glass. Crazy props to John for whipping this out of nowhere on us. Didnt think I would ever try this one. Thank you John!

(A)- Pours a hazy pale yellow color that produced some transparent bubbles and minimal white foam.

(S)- What a wonderful silky and clean funk with a mild earthy hay and lemon peel/tart grape character. A mild spice comes through that turns into a creamy wood/vanilla barrel aspect.

(T)- Quite sour, but has a nice fruit profile of lemon and a peach/pear/chardonnay wine-like thing that has a nice acidic tartness and mildly lactic.

(M)- A crisp carbonation level that just might be a bit too much, but by no means bothersome. It really has a nice balance. A potent sour level, but has really nice fruits and dry hay funk with a very subtle underlying sweetness as well.

(D)- It was an honor to finally try this. It is really quite sour and tart, but has an engaging and dynamic fruit and funk profile. One of the most interesting/dynamic Wilds I have had in awhile.

10-26-2010 18:12:27 | More by sweemzander
raveskdr

4.9/5  rDev +5.6%

A "Chris Molkein" exclusive. Poured into a mini snifter.

A - Light yellowish color with extremely light carb. It's there, but then it's gone.

S - Super peachy (but more flesh of the fruit as opposed to rind and pit of YB) with slight sourness and slight acetic.

T - The taste completely follows the smell. Fleshy peaches super strong up front, moreso than YB. Finishes clean with some slight acidity in the back end.

M - The level of sourness makes it very drinkable. Light and makes your tongue bend just a bit, but finishes so clean.

O - An amazing beer that held up exceedingly well. Almost wish we had done this and YB (and 010) blind.

07-01-2012 20:10:52 | More by raveskdr
starrdogg

District of Columbia

4.9/5  rDev +5.6%

Huge thanks to Chris Molken for bringing this one to the ridiculous Lost Abbey tasting. Served alongside Yellow Bus and Veritas 010 for a peach-stravaganza.

Pours a hazy yellow/gold with hardly any head. Smell is insane peaches, pretty much exactly like a fresh peach smells, but with a little bit of lactic sour lurking in there as well. Flavor is absolutely incredible, it's amazing how much the peach flavor has held up in this beer, and it combines perfectly with the slight acidity, oak and sourness of the base beer. Light-medium bodied and slightly puckering, but not nearly as sour as YB or V006. Overall, this beer, along with V005, was the highlight of the tasting. Getting to try it right next to Yellow Bus was an incredible experience, and at this point in time, it's overshadowed it's rarer older brother. It's got an incredible balance of flavors that just work perfectly together and it rivals V005 as the best American wild I've ever had.

07-03-2012 16:08:35 | More by starrdogg
cosmicevan

4.9/5  rDev +5.6%

HOLY MOLY! Thank you a million times over to Pete for busting out this gem at an impromtu tasting on 8/10.

a - pour is a sunshine yellow with a thin fizzy head that fizzed away fast.

s - smell is simply phenomenal. sweet tarts with just the perfect dose of sweet and sour. soft fruit bouquet.

t - again, just phenomenal. fresh fruit and perfectly balanced sweetness. extremely refreshing and just perfect in taste.

m - tart, but extremely smooth. not puckering at all...just wonderful. refreshing.

o - what a treat!!! AMAZING SOUR!!! this one tickled my tongue with sweet candy and fresh fruit. the aftervibe is just great also. what can i really say? i never thought i would see this in person and not only did i get to try it, i got to try it side by side with 007 and DDG. 004 was the standout and one of the best sours out there. this one is drinking fantastic right now.

08-17-2012 02:37:51 | More by cosmicevan
bulldogp04

Indiana

4.88/5  rDev +5.2%

First of all, HUGE THANKS to Alen for this treasure !

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange, almost looks like an amaretto sour...Thin prickly white head quickly dissipates and leaves a small, thin ring of bubbles around the edge of my chalice.

Aroma: Smells of beautifully ripe peaches, tart lemons, and barnyard funkiness...hints of vinegar in the nose as well ! Unripe cherries also present in the nose...smells amazing and...

Taste: Wow ! Simply Wow....peaches, lemons, dark bing cherries amidst a beautiful lactic and acetic sourness....AMAZING ! Slight salt presence, as well...sounds weird, but is actually quite complementary.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, perfect for style...slightly effervescent as you swallow and let the flavors soak all into your lucky tastebuds ! Finishes nice and clean, where the dryness kicks in.

Drinkability: Extremely enjoyable and drinkable....Severely wish I could have this beer all the time. Maybe the best beer I have ever had the pleasure of sipping ! Definitely leaves a very noticeable and lingering peach puckerness at the edge of your palate that keeps you wanting more, sip after sip !

10-16-2009 01:08:21 | More by bulldogp04
rpstevens

New Hampshire

4.88/5  rDev +5.2%

Generously shared by jammalamma at a recent tasting, poured into a mini goblet. The beer pours a golden hazy dark yellow, it reminds me of a Farnum Hill Cider really. There is a thin soapy white ring of tiny bubbles around the top of the beer, and there is minimal lacing left on the sides of the glass.

The smell is very, very interesting. The musty, earthy sour funk is the first thing I notice but it is followed by a very distinct sweet note that is very hard to place. Beyond the strong funkiness and sweetness there are traditional and exceptional notes of lemon zest, hay, oak and light crisp fruits such as peaches and apricots.

The crisp sharp sour fruit flavors really come to the fore in the flavor on this one. The apricots and peaches from the nose resurface, but there is also some hints of green apple and tart cherry. The fruit notes are present and distinct but the beer is dominated by a lemon peel acidic sourness that is awesome. The hay, cheese, oak and musky funkiness balance all the crisp ripe fruits perfectly.

The beer is light bodied, just carbonated enough to make the flavors come to life and incredibly crisp and clean for something so funky and sour. The alcohol makes short cameos throughout the flavors, but never gets in the way of the sour and funky characteristics of the beer. The sharp dry finish leaves me craving more of this beer, this is definitely one I would like to have several more times.

03-15-2010 03:11:23 | More by rpstevens
oline73

Maryland

4.88/5  rDev +5.2%

Another bottle shared by the Lost Abbey crew at the DC Lost Abbey tasting. Another beer I never thought I would get to try. Poured from the bottle into a tasting snifter.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy golden color with an amber hue. There is a small layer of off white head.

Smell: Tart and slightly fruity. Very light and refreshing. I'm getting hints of lemon and some mild white vinegar to go with the peach hints.

Taste: This is a very tart beer. I'm getting more of the peaches than I did in the Yellow Bus, which is weird because I was told that it had half the fruit they put in yellow bus. Apparently the tree died. I'm getting some lemon like sour notes along with some funk. This beer is very refreshing and I just loved it.

Mouthfeel: Light body with fluffy carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: This beer is just fantastic. It was my favorite sour peach beer of the tasting. Light and refreshing, I would love to be able to drink this all summer long.

07-11-2012 01:07:45 | More by oline73
ktrillionaire

4.85/5  rDev +4.5%

Big thanks to heyohhh for the share. V004 pours a light golden hue, very translucent, and, visibly, it is not tremendously effervescent. The brew is quite mellow in flavor and aroma; pleasantly so. There is a mild acidity, and some tannic-woody notes, but more than that it expresses an intangible mild musty funk. I don't really pick up much lactic or acetic, nor is fruit implied hugely. There is perhaps some nuances akin to white grape, and if I stretch it, perhaps I can find white peaches. The mild and mellow elements of this Veritas extend to the softly petillant feel, which comes across as highly appropriate for this delicately nuanced libation. Overall, this is a fantastic (and hard to rate/quantify) brew; while on one hand it is not over-the-top with any particular flavor or impression, on the other hand it is essentially flawless. So there is that.

11-21-2011 13:31:22 | More by ktrillionaire
vacax

4.85/5  rDev +4.5%

Lost Abey Barrel Party 2008 memento. Poured into my trusty Bruery tulip. Pale gold, slight cloudiness, white head is relatively fleeting, clings to the edges of the glass, some effervescence present as bubbles periodically surface. Aroma of grapefruit citrusy sourness, apparent sourness with lactic and large amounts of funk for an American Wild, fuzzy fruitiness reminds of stone fruit.

Robustly funky sourness hits the front of the palate immediately. The funk in this beer is something extremely rare to American wild ales, reminiscent of a classic Belgian lambic, but cleaner and brighter and avoiding any of the common pitfalls like overt acetic acid. There is a fruity quality that reminds me of stone fruit and grapefruit pith, almost floral until it grips the sides of my tongue with the sourness. The body is light and slightly bubbly, but the tartness on the palate makes an enchanting combination of feeling both airy and incredibly rich. The feeling folllows down the back of the tongue on the swallow and the tart dry fruit finish tingles the tip of the tongue, begging another sip.

I'm sure descriptors have been piled onto this beer in countless reviews, but I wanted to attempt describing the experience of drinking this beer. Drinking a glass of this beer is a legitimate treat. This is quite literally a once-in-a-lifetime beer that can never be recreated, which is sad because the quality of flavor is every bit as rarely euphoric. At 3+ years I find no degradation in flavor either.

Plainly, Veritas 004 is one of the best beers in existence.

02-12-2012 05:38:29 | More by vacax
MrFootstones

4.83/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Bright golden peachy color. Very sunny. Head is quick to dissipate and wisps of foam remain throughout.

S: Sweet fresh (magical?) peaches, funk, vanilla/oak, slight cat pee as it warms.

T: Sweet peaches, beautifully integrated and subtle tartness, wonderfully balanced, juicy apricots, light funk.

F: Good high, yet tightly beaded, and thus, full and creamy, carbonation for the beer. Helps to give a very dry beer some nice body.

D: I'd drink this bad boy all day every day.

Overall: Very delicious, subtle, and perfectly crafted. This is a beer to aspire to making/drinking.

01-22-2010 03:07:07 | More by MrFootstones
HopHobo

4.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Another beer from White Whale Tasting #1 generously shared by hoppymeal. Poured into a 6 oz. snifter.

A - pours a beautiful hazy straw golden color with a lot of carbonation and 3 fingers of head. I had to let it settle a bit before I finished my pour.

S- Huge sour smell, with muted wheat and funk smell. Nice lactic acidity smell, hay, citrus

T- oh man, this is great stuff....super tart and sour, but a good taste behind and not so overpowering that its off putting. Good balance of acid, wheat, and over all funk.

M - the mouthfeel is thin, but appropriate for the style. Its definitely not as clean as some of the other sours of the day, but I wouldn't change a thing about it.

D - it'd prolly burn a hole in my stomach, but I would love to drink this one all day. So well balanced....a very good tasting sour. We opened this next to yellow bus, isabelle, and dirty horse and this was my favorite with yellow bus being a close second....about as perfect as a wild can be for me!!

06-29-2010 14:08:08 | More by HopHobo
SpeedwayJim

4.8/5  rDev +3.4%

Shared by Steve (fbm115) at a tasting 5/29/10. 4oz. pour from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a 1 finger quickly evaporating coarse white head. Beer is a cloudy lemon-yellow. Lacing is non-existant with the tiny bit of spottiness here and there.

S: Lemon, cherry, sweet and sour peach. Wood, peat, and earthiness are all present to complement the fruit. Slight ethanol in the background. Good complexity here but what makes this is that the fruit flavors are easily distinguishable and all very potent.

T: Big tartness at the outset makes my face cringe. Mellow lemons with peach in the background. On my second sip, I get a bit more used to the sour. Malt profile kicks in with cherries and a different side of the peach. Finish is citrussy but clean and dry. Aftertaste is near non-existant.

M: Light bodied, highly carbonated, and very lively and coarse. Dry in the mouth and dry at the finish with a great, clean aftertaste that gets you ready for the next sip.

D: This beer clearly stands out for me from the heavily loaded and hyped veritas series. Great complexity and cleaness here with a spot-on mouthfeel. The nose provides a glimpse of what the beer is all about and then the flavors follow through perfectly. An amazing brew, if you're ever going to try to acquire a veritas, let it be this one, it more than does its siblings justice. And really, as a fellow BA said, "if the beer tastes amazing, who the heck cares what it looks like!"

05-30-2010 14:05:17 | More by SpeedwayJim
aerozeppl

4.78/5  rDev +3%

From notes:

A: Poured a very vibrant golden color. A little cap of white head with a touch of lacing. Quite a big of "stuff" floating around in the glass which is always a welcome sight to me.

S: The nose was excellent. Quite a bit of funk but with a big lacto sour note also there. Some hints of citrus with peaches coming through as well. A touch of apple.

T: The amazing thing about this beer is the balance between the funk and sour. The barnyard is there in the taste as well but this is an intensly sour beer as well. A little bit acidic in the middle with a touch of vinegar but not that much at all.

M: Very light mouthfeel. Well carbonated. Perfect.

D: I have had the pleasure of having this beer twice and it is awesome. Since then I have had most of the components that make this up and it is an amazing blend. Actually worth the hype.

01-28-2010 22:37:23 | More by aerozeppl
bmanning

4.78/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to Alen (RIP) and shared with Thrope429, Amyliz4, and Heather at a recent tasting.
A: Bright gold with thin bubbles around the inside rim of the glass.
S: Aromas of lemon-lime, orange, apple, wet hay, slight barnyard funk.
T: Wonderful taste with lemon, apple, and unripe peaches jumping out as the primary flavors. This is balanced perfectly with the funk - horse blanket and musty barnyard, and the sour (mostly lemon, but also some orange and pineapple in the background). In the background there are pears, cherries, tropical fruits, hint of vanilla and oak. The flavor gets more and more intense as it warms up and the flavors start to remind me of Smartees - oh how I used to love Smartees growing up, and this flavors brings it all back.
M: Exceptional mouthfeel as the carbonation is perfect for this beer, and the dry sourness prickles the back of the tongue.
D: I could drink this beer everyday for a year and still want more. It's on the short list of desert island beers for me.

Overall this is one great sour beer, and second only to Isabelle Proximus on my favorite sour beer list. It's too bad this is probably the only time I'll ever taste it.

03-29-2010 21:25:43 | More by bmanning
Sean9689

4.72/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Alex (MasterSki) for breaking this one out during out sour/wild tasting! Poured from 750ml bottle into Bell's Tulip.

A - Pour hazy yellow with a white head. There is lacing evident after the head starts to fizzle down.

S - Very funky! A lot more then the Yellow Bus, that's for sure. There is a lot of Phunky Duck in this one. Really cheesy, sour/tart notes. I really don't get any of the Yellow Bus on the nose at all, it's overpowered by the PD. That said, this one has an awesome nose.

T - I am able to pick up on the peach notes from the YB here although the funk is more present. Huge sour/tart notes meld well with the sweetness for a nice finish of both sweet & sour (chicken, anyone?). Not much CdT in taste, I think Phunky Duck just overpowers it here.

M - Light bodied with a very dry lip-puckering finish. Nice palate-tickling carbonation rounds this one out well.

D - An awesome wild from Lost Abbey. Not as easy to drink as the Yellow Bus, but then again, this is something different that I can appreciate when compared to YB.

09-02-2009 15:11:43 | More by Sean9689