Veritas 004 - The Lost Abbey

Veritas 004Veritas 004

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 11-16-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
t0rin0

12-12-2012 04:24:58 | More by t0rin0
djrn2

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%

01-13-2013 02:05:22 | More by djrn2
Thorpe429

4.13/5  rDev -10.8%

Huge thanks to bmanning for opening this bottle up at a recent tasting. Also shared with Amyliz4 and Heather.

A: Poured a hazy straw yellow with a bit of an apricot tint to it. Nice head and some very nice lacing.

S: A good amount of funk from the Brett alongside beautiful citrus aromas. Nice notes of lemon and lime alongside unripe peaches, green apple, and Sweetarts. A bit of oak.

T: Very similar to the nose with great acidity coming through. All of the same fruits, with the lemon and Sweetart flavors really coming through. Some great tart lemonade-type sourness. The best-tasting sour I have ever had.

M: Fairly light bodied with good carbonation and the perfect level of acidity and dryness.

D: Very drinkable. Great complexity without failing to exhibit a lovely sourness. Great balance between everything in it.

04-03-2010 00:45:38 | More by Thorpe429
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

Oh hell yeah. I am a very lucky man to be able to finally try this very rare, and utterly fantastic beer. Served chilled and poured into a snifter, this 750ml wonder was consumed on 05/16/2009.

The pour was brilliant and just what I would expect to be/ Light golden amber in color with with a big foamy head of white on top. Really cloudy and hazy and this gave it a much fuller look. Definitley going to be a winner here. Ohh, the rich funky nose on this one, I am melting into the chair. Sour apples, lots of light fruit notes, touch of grassy hops, wow. Perfect here in nearly every way. Not too heavy, and the tartness and sour is perfectly placed. As I sip I close my eyes and the tartest granny smith apple I have ever had combines with a pear and just shreds through my mouth. Lip puckering, perfectly balanced. I am floored. Letting it sit perhaps a touch of cherries works its way in, still light hops drying the palate and sourness that is not overwhelming but just will not quit. Perfect carbonation and medium body with no hint of alcohol at all.

Overall this is hands down the best beer I have ever had from Lost Abbey, and pretty much the best sour I have had, aside from that first batch Beatification. This beer isperfect, seriously. I had heard it was good, but shit, this is excellence. I have had my faith in LA temporarily renewed after this.

05-17-2009 02:04:14 | More by mikesgroove
womencantsail

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%

A: A clear, pale, golden color with a fluffy white head.

S: A wonderful, and powerful, lactic tartness fills the nose. There is a moderate Brett funk, citrus and peaches or apricots are present as well.

T: Like the nose, the first thing to hit you is the lactic sourness. The funk is not quite as intense I would have expected, but still present. The fruit flavors are also here, but more lemon than anything else.

M: Medium in body with a high level of carbonation makes this a very pleasant beer to drink.

D: I would have never guessed this beer is 8% ABV. The flavors are wonderful and the mouthfeel is as well. I could have drank this all day.

01-04-2010 01:35:53 | More by womencantsail

GRG1313

11-25-2011 20:54:48 | More by GRG1313
largadeer

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

Appearance: Straw colored, gueuze-like appearance. Clear for the first glass, hazier after that. This one foamed up in the bottle quite a bit, making later pours somewhat flat.

Smell: Massive barnyard funk up front. Lactic sourness meets unripe fruit (peaches are fairly noticeable). Faintly mineral, little bit of soft grain. The yeast really steals the show here. Very authentic gueuze-like character, the only thing setting it apart being the slight presence of fruit.

Taste & mouthfeel: Dry and puckering with lots of up-front fruitiness; pineapple, peach, lemon. Acidity is fairly restrained despite the strong sourness. Light, crisp body; dry from start to finish. There's a bit of cider vinegar mid-palate, but on the whole this is a beautifully blended beer that really highlights the good aspects of the bugs and hides the bad ones.

02-20-2009 18:33:51 | More by largadeer
westcoastbeerlvr

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%

11-14-2011 18:11:57 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
MasterSki

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

Big thanks to Mark for trading this to me - I know you don't like sours Mark, but I appreciate it all the same. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - This is a little bit nicer looking than Yellow Bus. A finger of off-white foam that dissipates to a ring and some patchy haze. This one leaves behind a little of lace. Slightly hazed mostly transparent orange-yellow color body with lots of bubbles racing to the top. Gets more hazed the deeper we get into the bottle.

S - This is super funky - there must be a ton of Phunky Duck in here and only a little Yellow Bus and Cuvee de Tomme. There's a touch of peach and white wine grapes, but it's way more barnyard, horsey sweat, and must.

T - The taste is super tart with a good amount of lactic sourness as well. There's not much in the way of sweetness - just a hint of peach and sour apple. The finish is dry and super tannic with surprising mildness. I don't find this as deep as the Yellow Bus, but it's still quite amazing.

M - This is even tinglier than Yellow Bus - to the point where it gets a little irritating. The finish is super dry and the body is medium in density. The texture is a little grittier than I prefer.

D - I'd drink a bottle of this one myself too. I'm sad the bottle is empty and I'm tempted to ask Mark for his other bottle of this one.

09-02-2009 00:26:46 | More by MasterSki
drabmuh

Maryland

4.47/5  rDev -3.5%

Bottle provided by Brad in a side by side with V006, wow, what an experience.

Served in a wine glass because I don't have a Lost Abbey wine glass....yet.

Beer is yellow and completely hazy (I got the bottom so I don't know if that is normal). Thin, nearly absent head, no lacing, moderate to low carbonation.

Beer kind of smells like lemons, grass, oak, mild funk, some acetic, mild lactic in the nose. I like it.

Beer has an odd initial flavor I think. It tastes a lot like lemon peels at first, this gives way to a mild tannic flavor and some vinous notes of grapes and mild acetic brightness. The lactic presence is lower than I expected. The finish is nice too, a very drinkable beer. Thoroughly enjoyed.

03-21-2011 16:48:41 | More by drabmuh
Slatetank

4.63/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to KRAMER17801 for bringing this bottle to Stakem's tasting on 4/2/11 -poured chilled into a snifter - the cork came out with a soft *poot*

This was a clear golden like apple juice in the glass with a quick to fall snowy white cap. There is plenty of carbonation visible while the head condenses. The smell has a fragrant floral aroma, w/ strong tart juicy odor. I get some mango and slight lemon esters. The feel is like sweet tarts, first the shock of a sour tinge and is followed up by some semi sweet maltiness, some mild alcohol w/ a mild sour quality throughout. This was surprising as it evolved it has more of sugary tinge in the finish.

So luscious and juicy, the tart lemony astringent aspect, but also intensely sour at certain points. There is a mild bitter element which seems to coincide with the high effervescent feel and alcohol w/ some bitter citrus flesh flavors in the finish. Overall I enjoyed this a lot, incredible puckering and easy to drink 8% abv American Wild. I was happy I actually got to try this.

04-04-2011 18:53:11 | More by Slatetank
SocalKicks

03-13-2014 07:18:11 | More by SocalKicks
mdfb79

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%

From 03/19/11 notes. Huge thanks to ygtbsm94 for sharing this one; thanks Brad! Sampled side by side with Veritas 006, served in a tulip.

a - Pours a clear bright yellow-orange color with light carbonation evident and no real carbonation.

s - Smells of sour citrus fruits, lemon, light funk, oak, and some grapefruit. The smell is not overly funky, but a nice level of funk and tart lemon/citrus. Very nice.

t - Tastes of sour fruits, lemon zest, peach, wood/oak, grapfruit, citrus hops, white wine. Again, not too much funk but more sour/tartness than the smell. A step up, pretty amazing taste.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation. Tart up front with a crisp finish.

d - Overall this was an amazing sour; one of the best I've had. It was very different from the 006 but both were amazing. This had more citrus and peach to it, while I found the 006 to have more raspberry and grapes to it. I also found the 006 much for tart, which I really enjoyed. None the less an awesome beer I would love to have again.

03-21-2011 15:33:50 | More by mdfb79
oline73

Maryland

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Another bottle shared by the Lost Abbey crew at the DC Lost Abbey tasting. Another beer I never thought I would get to try. Poured from the bottle into a tasting snifter.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy golden color with an amber hue. There is a small layer of off white head.

Smell: Tart and slightly fruity. Very light and refreshing. I'm getting hints of lemon and some mild white vinegar to go with the peach hints.

Taste: This is a very tart beer. I'm getting more of the peaches than I did in the Yellow Bus, which is weird because I was told that it had half the fruit they put in yellow bus. Apparently the tree died. I'm getting some lemon like sour notes along with some funk. This beer is very refreshing and I just loved it.

Mouthfeel: Light body with fluffy carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: This beer is just fantastic. It was my favorite sour peach beer of the tasting. Light and refreshing, I would love to be able to drink this all summer long.

07-11-2012 01:07:45 | More by oline73
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.72/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled October 2009
A steady, careful pour into my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip produces a two finger thick, pale tan colored head. The beer sits in my glass with a hazed, orange / gold color that shows a bright, only lightly hazed, yellow-orange, light gold color when held up to the light. Ah, the aroma is deeply satisfying for this sour beer lover; it has a distinct, tart almost grapefruit note that can often be found in a good Gueuze. This is backed by a toasted grassy note that seems to be a product of wood and pale grain. The oak plays a nice supporting role here, solid, but only lightly expressive; this beer is spiced with a touch of piquant oak and a rich woodiness. The overall aroma is fairly musty, with a damp earthiness, some, at times expressive, wild mushroom and overripe farmhouse cheese aromatics; really this just has an overall dank funkiness to it that definitely is challenging (sweet / smooth baby vomit perhaps). I absolutely love the funkiness achieved in the nose here, I really like a good funked up Lambic, and this hits that spot for me in a similar manner.

The beer is puckeringly tart as it first hits my tongue; there is a strong lactic tartness that is quite clean up front. It remains bracingly tart through the finish but some malt and other flavors seem to soften it just a touch towards the end. The tartness definitely reminds me of sour grapefruit. The earthy, funky mushroom, over-ripe cheese note that was in the nose is also in the flavor; it adds a nice base note to the bright tartness. Despite being so tart and light, there is a perceived sweetness to this beer; I am not sure that there really is much in the way of residual sugars here, but something seems to accent a very light sweetness which in turn boosts the perception of fruit in this beer. There is the afore-mentioned grapefruit, but there are also some floral apricot, perhaps some green peach, ripe green apple notes, a musky melon note and maybe even a touch of herbal honey. The oak provides quite a bit of spiciness here, it is almost more oral nasal than a flavor, but there is some of that too; the spiciness is peppery and can seem a touch boozy at time (more from the oak than from real alcohol though). The carbonation provides a nice initial zip to the texture, but this beer eventually settles down into a creamy, smooth sipper whose body is boosted just a bit by a tannic structure and always retains a touch of pep from the carbonation.

My first half of this bottle has me completely enjoying this beer. I think this would be a great hot weather beer, we have been experiencing an un-seasonable cold spell that sees our highs only in the 80s, but this beer is still hitting the spot quite nicely. It really has a nice balance between its various complexities. My second pour, with a touch more yeast, smells even more earthy and mushroom like & even has a touch more of that baby vomit ;-). The fruitiness really starts to come out more as this beer warms up; the fruitiness must be contributed, at least significantly, from the Yellow Bus; it is quite floral, though I wouldn't necessarily sya it was peach. This has an aggressive funkiness to it that could be a challenge to those not used to funky beers, unlike many an American example of the nebulous Funky-style, this also achieves a very nice balance between the tart, fruity and harder funkiness. The complexity and depth definitely makes this a better beer than the Duck Duck Gooze, all this really does is make me want to try some Yellow Bus that much more (though the Cuvee de Tomme, surely must play a small part in this blend). My one complaint is that the oak can add a touch too much spiciness and booziness at times, on the other hand this same character helps to keep this beer quite balanced in nature. Just a really nice brew.

03-07-2010 16:17:06 | More by Gueuzedude
Rochefort10nh

New Hampshire

12-08-2011 20:13:06 | More by Rochefort10nh
corby112

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Huge thanks to Jeff(ipa247) for busting this out at our sour tasting.

Pours a hazy dark golden yellow/ripe banana color that's completely opaque with a one finger creamy white head that slowly fades into a thin lasting ring.

Very funky, especially for an American sour/wild ale and smells very similar to a Belgian sour. Lots of barnyard funk, horseblanket, cobweb, dry bretty efervesence and soily earthy bandaid a d sweatsock.

Dry bretty tart funky medium body that's on the fuller end. Extremely dry and sharp with lots of sweet bretty champagne like efervesence. Intensely tart and mouth puckering without being acidic in the least bit. The oak note become very prominent toward the end of the palate. Sweet and slightly vinous with a strong light fruit presence. Plenty of apple, peach, grape and pear. Very complex and incredibly drinkable considering how funky/tart and sour it is. Excellent!

01-10-2010 08:15:04 | More by corby112
imperialking

11-24-2012 03:56:38 | More by imperialking
yourefragile

District of Columbia

01-16-2013 15:13:00 | More by yourefragile
stakem

4.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Kramer for sharing this at a recent tasting.

Poured from a corked and caged 750ml into a mini snifter. This brew appears a clear golden yellow color with a fizzy topping of white head that recedes quickly. It laces on the sides of the glass in a spotty pattern. A swirl revives the head to a lacing across the top of the brew.

The smell of this brew is downright amazing, easily one of the best aromas I've ever smelled in a beer. Even smelling the empty bottle is glorious. I'll try to put a few descriptors here but my words do not do this brew's aroma any justice. It smells of lemony funk with a light rind touch, it's both grassy and earthy with herbal notes that turn to sweet smelling flowers and fruits. The smell of this brew engulfs the nose in a very impressive aroma that is exceptionally pleasing.

The taste of the brew picks up where the aroma left off but with a deeper complexity and layering of funk as the main focus. There is a lemony tartness and acidity upfront that evolves into more of an earthy funked taste with light notes of sulfur through the back. Where the aroma of this brew had a great depth of scents to take in, the taste gets focused on the sourness. As it warms there are faint notes of fruit.

This is a light bodied brew with a lively, moderately high level of carbonation but not overly so. This is tart and very salivating brew that is excessively drinkable. Throughout the entire experience I never got any indication of the listed 8% abv, masterfully hidden. This is something I wish I could drink on a regular basis but I'm very grateful for having the chance to try it once. Thanks again Kramer!

04-11-2011 13:00:56 | More by stakem
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

Had this at Lost Abbey. Shared with dagspaceyou.

Poured into Lost Abbey Tulip.

Pours 1/2 finger of bright white head. Fades to a thin ring leaving no lace. Color is a clear golden orange.

Aroma: Nice funk right off the top with some horse blanket. The aroma is very similar to DDG, but not as sour and it has more citrus flavors. I got a lot of apricot and peaches with some mild notes of cherries.

Taste: Starts out with a milder amount of sour flavors. The citrus is here, which I think may be the reason it isn't so sour. The fruit flavors taste great: apricots and peaches. Very well done. Again, it reminds me a lot of DDG.

Mouthfeel: Sour with some tartness. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Really nice for the style. Ends with a mild tat aftertaste that is very clean. Can't get much better than this,

Overall, this is a very nice wild ale and I am really glad I got to drink it. Very drinkable and it reminds me a lot of other sours but it has more citrus to it. I really enjoyed this and could easily drink a full bottle. I highly recommend this one.

01-29-2010 04:40:50 | More by mothman
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.95/5  rDev +6.9%

Consumed with all ten Veritas beers on April 14, 2012. Shared by GRG1313. Thank you Richard!

This was still a standout beer for me, even among the world's best lambics and wild ales. A phenomenal beer. One of the best sour ales ever brewed in the United States.

***
Original review: 21 March 2011

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad! Served side by side with Veritas 006. Awesome? Indeed.

The beer appears hazy and straw yellow in color. A few pockets of bubbles cling together tightly, resembling suspended grape bunches. The beer has a thin and wispy head that fades to virtually nothing after a few minutes.

Like the Veritas 006, the aroma here is simply world class, albeit an entirely different beer than the 006. I can really pick out the Duck Duck Gooze in the nose, as the scent offers a prominent dosage of gueuze. Other notable scents include funk, subtle barrels (oak), hay, and a light helping of tart fruit.

Incredibly wonderful, complex, and delicious. The beer is slightly tannic and finishes with a splendid acetic bite. Peaches emerge more in the taste than in the olfactory senses. This must be the elusive Yellow Bus flavor.

The feel is medium / thin bodied with a wonderful, puckering finish. Complex and intriguing, I could sip this gem all night long.

Overall, one of the best sour / wild ales I have ever had and one of the best beers I have yet to enjoy, regardless of style.

04-20-2012 04:40:13 | More by Huhzubendah