Veritas 004 - The Lost Abbey

Veritas 004Veritas 004

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 11-16-2008)
4.05/5  rDev -12.7%

A huge thank you for sharing this one, Jeff. Poured into Jackie O’s snifter.

A: Pours a lightly hazy lemon-yellow with a thin white head.
S: The nose is full of funky and lightly sour notes of sweat and earthy barnyard funk. There is a bit of ambiguously fruity and herbal notes as well.
T: Fairly complex and earthy tasting with flavors of lemon, peaches, tangerine, sweat, hay and brett. The finish has suggestions of peaches and apricots. Overall, flavors are rather mellow with no one aspect dominating. The sourness isn’t overpowering either, but there is a bite of vinegar, tart lemon zest, and slight acetone.
M: Body is on the thin side of medium. Mouthfeel is tart and clean, and the thin carbonation froths up a bit in my mouth.
O: Really solid all around. I loved DDG, and to a lesser extent CdT, and although I’ve never had YB, I’d say DDG is what this beer tastes the most like to me. I dare say I like a lot of other wilds better (including DDG), but I would never pass up an opportunity to drink this again. A very solid brew.

4.6/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Kramer for sharing this at a recent tasting.

Poured from a corked and caged 750ml into a mini snifter. This brew appears a clear golden yellow color with a fizzy topping of white head that recedes quickly. It laces on the sides of the glass in a spotty pattern. A swirl revives the head to a lacing across the top of the brew.

The smell of this brew is downright amazing, easily one of the best aromas I've ever smelled in a beer. Even smelling the empty bottle is glorious. I'll try to put a few descriptors here but my words do not do this brew's aroma any justice. It smells of lemony funk with a light rind touch, it's both grassy and earthy with herbal notes that turn to sweet smelling flowers and fruits. The smell of this brew engulfs the nose in a very impressive aroma that is exceptionally pleasing.

The taste of the brew picks up where the aroma left off but with a deeper complexity and layering of funk as the main focus. There is a lemony tartness and acidity upfront that evolves into more of an earthy funked taste with light notes of sulfur through the back. Where the aroma of this brew had a great depth of scents to take in, the taste gets focused on the sourness. As it warms there are faint notes of fruit.

This is a light bodied brew with a lively, moderately high level of carbonation but not overly so. This is tart and very salivating brew that is excessively drinkable. Throughout the entire experience I never got any indication of the listed 8% abv, masterfully hidden. This is something I wish I could drink on a regular basis but I'm very grateful for having the chance to try it once. Thanks again Kramer!

4.63/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to KRAMER17801 for bringing this bottle to Stakem's tasting on 4/2/11 -poured chilled into a snifter - the cork came out with a soft *poot*

This was a clear golden like apple juice in the glass with a quick to fall snowy white cap. There is plenty of carbonation visible while the head condenses. The smell has a fragrant floral aroma, w/ strong tart juicy odor. I get some mango and slight lemon esters. The feel is like sweet tarts, first the shock of a sour tinge and is followed up by some semi sweet maltiness, some mild alcohol w/ a mild sour quality throughout. This was surprising as it evolved it has more of sugary tinge in the finish.

So luscious and juicy, the tart lemony astringent aspect, but also intensely sour at certain points. There is a mild bitter element which seems to coincide with the high effervescent feel and alcohol w/ some bitter citrus flesh flavors in the finish. Overall I enjoyed this a lot, incredible puckering and easy to drink 8% abv American Wild. I was happy I actually got to try this.

4.47/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle provided by Brad in a side by side with V006, wow, what an experience.

Served in a wine glass because I don't have a Lost Abbey wine glass....yet.

Beer is yellow and completely hazy (I got the bottom so I don't know if that is normal). Thin, nearly absent head, no lacing, moderate to low carbonation.

Beer kind of smells like lemons, grass, oak, mild funk, some acetic, mild lactic in the nose. I like it.

Beer has an odd initial flavor I think. It tastes a lot like lemon peels at first, this gives way to a mild tannic flavor and some vinous notes of grapes and mild acetic brightness. The lactic presence is lower than I expected. The finish is nice too, a very drinkable beer. Thoroughly enjoyed.

4.68/5  rDev +0.9%

From 03/19/11 notes. Huge thanks to ygtbsm94 for sharing this one; thanks Brad! Sampled side by side with Veritas 006, served in a tulip.

a - Pours a clear bright yellow-orange color with light carbonation evident and no real carbonation.

s - Smells of sour citrus fruits, lemon, light funk, oak, and some grapefruit. The smell is not overly funky, but a nice level of funk and tart lemon/citrus. Very nice.

t - Tastes of sour fruits, lemon zest, peach, wood/oak, grapfruit, citrus hops, white wine. Again, not too much funk but more sour/tartness than the smell. A step up, pretty amazing taste.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation. Tart up front with a crisp finish.

d - Overall this was an amazing sour; one of the best I've had. It was very different from the 006 but both were amazing. This had more citrus and peach to it, while I found the 006 to have more raspberry and grapes to it. I also found the 006 much for tart, which I really enjoyed. None the less an awesome beer I would love to have again.

4.5/5  rDev -3%

Thanks to Jerz for opening this bottle.

A - Hazy/cloudy yellowish-light orangish. There is light head and nice lacing left on my glass.

S - Some funk, lemon, light citrus...very light citrus notes. It's all clear and discernible, nothing overpowering each other, just nice compliments. I'd want my house to smell like this all the time.

T - Definitely tart/lemon notes up front. It gives way to some light funk. It's so simple, but so good. It gives way to a nice smooth/crisp finish.

M - Light body, medium carbonation, and a nice, crisp, clean finish.

D - Can drink a lot of this for a really long time.

REVIEW #420

served in a lost abbey stemmed glass

pours a slightly orange and hazy yellow. very light carbonation and head. light retention.

scent was a bit subtle. light oak and lemon with a faint bit of citrus. very zesty.

the taste.. moderate sourness. lots of citrus. a very nice complex blend of apricot, peach, lemon, red grape, and light oak. this was a lot more simple than i had expected, yet very perfect as far as sourness to fruit and flavor blend.

nice moderate carbonation, bit of zest on the tongue. nice light dryness with a hint of sweetness. nice sour zing on the tongue to finish this off.

ok.. this is good. is it whale like? hell, yeah. the apricot flavor is in it is just amazing. nothing to overpowering.

4.72/5  rDev +1.7%

Day 2 of the 2010 Thanksgiving day weekend, and time to start pulling out the good stuff. This beer is special, I've been waiting a long time to open it. No batch number on the rear label but it's definitely 004.

On popping the cork there is a nice audible, thankfully no gushing (my experience with LA wild ales has been 50/50 on this to date). The beer pours a hazy orange-gold with a very thin foam.

It smells just about perfect, at least it's exactly what I was hoping it would be. Tart and woody, spicy in a hops way (not in a spice way), with some citrus in the back. As a testament to the many great gueuzes I've recently been exposed to, I'm beginning to get the barrel notes in the aroma, really subdued but nice.

This beer is sublime, just really very delicious. It's tart, bracingly tart, but not painful. Lots of acidic citrus, I'm getting more fruit in the flavor than I'd anticipated. Maybe some grannysmith apple, maybe some over-ripe apricot or peach, wow. I've only had Cable Car once, earlier this year, but Veritas 004 brings that to mind a little. Nice burn in my belly after a few glasses, probably the beginning of an ulcer...

A little thicker than water, and I just realized that this was a little higher ABV than typical wild ales and gueuzes. Starting to feel it a little but what the hell. This is among the best I've had from Lost Abbey. Hope the Veritas 007 I've got is as good as this.

4.7/5  rDev +1.3%

Well just when we didn't think it could get any better Jon whips this bad boy out. Thanks times a million Jon. Poured from the bottle into my tasting glass.

A: Golden yellow with a small amount of white head. No lace.

S: Wow! The mix of sweet and sour are what beer geeks dream of. It's loaded with lactic sourness as well as juicy sweet fruits. The funk is fantastic. Not too funky but enough to remind you this beer is "wild".

T: Holy mouth pucker! The lactic sour is strong. Luckily the amount of sweet fruit cuts it after each sip. Peaches, grapes, lemons, green apples. Just a hint of barnyard and wet wood. This is much more sour fruit forward than any of the other wilds I've tried tonight.

M: Light crisp body. Super dry and tongue bruising.

D: I'm sure a full glass of this would be too much. Very complex and delicious but super tart and rich. An absolute pleasure to sample though.

4.6/5  rDev -0.9%

Purchased and consumed at Lost Abbey brewery on 10.17.10. Poured from 750mL bottle into a Lost Abbey tulip. Beer was a hazy, golden yellow color, with a very faint, white head. Soft carbonation and no lacing around the glass.

Aroma was grapes, lemons, grains and straw. Smells fantastic.

Taste was grapes, lemons, apples and grains. Super funky, tart and sour.

Dry finish. Amazing beer. I feel fortunate to have tried this one.

4.9/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle poured into a tasting glass. Crazy props to John for whipping this out of nowhere on us. Didnt think I would ever try this one. Thank you John!

(A)- Pours a hazy pale yellow color that produced some transparent bubbles and minimal white foam.

(S)- What a wonderful silky and clean funk with a mild earthy hay and lemon peel/tart grape character. A mild spice comes through that turns into a creamy wood/vanilla barrel aspect.

(T)- Quite sour, but has a nice fruit profile of lemon and a peach/pear/chardonnay wine-like thing that has a nice acidic tartness and mildly lactic.

(M)- A crisp carbonation level that just might be a bit too much, but by no means bothersome. It really has a nice balance. A potent sour level, but has really nice fruits and dry hay funk with a very subtle underlying sweetness as well.

(D)- It was an honor to finally try this. It is really quite sour and tart, but has an engaging and dynamic fruit and funk profile. One of the most interesting/dynamic Wilds I have had in awhile.

4.45/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. Pours a really nice straw color with a slight white head. Some barnyard funkiness balanced out with lemon and white grape fruit type aromas. Wine like tastes similar to a good Chardonnay. Sweet up front that transitions to a nice sour/tart. Flavors also included pear, whtie grape, lemon, with a very subtle oakiness as well. Light mouthfeel with a touch of over carbonation. Overall, really nice beer and a top for me.

4.53/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into a tulip. Had this at the Lost Abbey Saint's/Sinner's Dinner which was most epic.

A: Bright golden almost neon. Just a tiny film of white head. Dies down to a ring of foam around the glass.

S: I get straw, horse blanket, lemon, and grass. Nice sourness and fruit as well.

T: The taste evokes horse blanket, lemon zest, grass, funk, and grapefruit pulp. Quite tart, and well attenuated.

M: Dry, well carbonated and bubbly. Pretty much perfect for the style.

D: An awesome sour. Really solid in general. I was really grateful to try this one.

4.4/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to the "King of Beers" Jon for bringing this based on a joke I made about harassing him for a taste. No harassment necessary in the end.

Poured into a 5 oz. taster glass. Not a proper vessel for reviewing appearance, so my rating for this category is adjusted to create an accurate overall score.

Pours a hazy light yellow color. The aroma is tart lemon, nutty, dirty, with lots of white grape notes.

The flavor is very sour and has big notes of lemon zest, oak, pear, and light peach.

The body is too highly carbonated, but that could have been solved by doing a little swirling in the glass.

Overall this is extremely tasty and among a handful of the top American Wild Ale's I've had, but after a night of Belgian craziness this one didn't stack up to the absolute top of the sour food chain (it was knocking on the door)

4.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The magnanimous xpimptasticx busted out this bottle at a recent tasting. Extremely grateful for getting to try this beer.

Veritas 004 shows almost no head at first, but swirling the tulip eventually builds a few wisps of taupe foam. The body is a hazed goldenrod hue. My mouth puckers just from the aroma--never had that happen before. Insanely tart notes of lemon zest, white grape rinds, and dry oak barrels. Funk & sourness rolled into one...

Each sip tastes like pieces of lemon peel coated in a Shock-Tart shell. Super sour, with acetic acid and tannic wood drying out the finish. Delicious stuff! Body is thin and light on the palate with just the right amount of carbonation. So incredibly tart; for me, the only comparable wild ale is Batch 2 Beatification (in terms of sheer sourness). My enamel is all but gone, and for that, I must again thank Michael (xpimptasticx). Fantastic beer.

4.93/5  rDev +6.3%

This has been one of those beers that I thought I would never get to try. I know what Lost Abbey is capable of, but this is an outstanding Wild Ale that was very impressive.

The cork pops open and an amazing smell fills the room. I aggressively pour the beer into an Anderson Valley tulip. The beer is a beautiful golden color. It creates a snow white head two finger head that eventually disappears, but leaves a collar around the glass. It has an incredibly oily consistency that leaves wine-like legs on the sides of the glass.

The smell is perfect. This beer being over two years old and still holding all of these fresh fruit smells and tastes is amazing. Ripe peaches with sour green apples, lemon rind and funk. Great notes of oak with tart grapefruit.

This is such a complex beer that has so many different layers of flavor. Like I said about the smell, the fresh fruit is still so strong that it makes me wonder what this beer was like fresh. Peaches is such a strong fruit in this as well as green apples, pineapple, and tart lemon rind. The sourness on this is superb with a great lactic flavor.

The acidity on this tore my palate to pieces, and it did even worse on my stomach. It was incredibly tart with a great oily body that coated my entire mouth. It has a great carbonation that works well with the flavors. The acidity burned going down my throat and was like a bomb in my stomach. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer, I wish I had a few more bottles of this. After trying this beer I now REALLY want to try Yellow Bus. Bravo to Lost Abbey. When they do it right, they knock it out of the park.
J

4.95/5  rDev +6.7%

I feel so privileged to get a chance to drink this fine beer. Thanks, Jason.

Pour is fairly nondescript. A billowing white cap on top of a hazy, yellow body. Orange highlights are evident. The head dissipates to nothing in virtually no time flat.

Aroma. Hot damn. Peaches and tropical fruits (mango, pineapple), lactic sourness, funk. The aroma is absolutely intoxicating.

Not the sourest beer I've had, but it's in the conversation. Big sour peach, tangy, long lasting finish that lingers on the tongue. I'm glad to see that the couple years in the bottle hasn't obliterated the fruit component of this beer... I wonder how it (or if it) could have been better than it is now.

Mouthfeel is perfect. No two ways about it. Medium bodied, vigorous but not overbearing carbonation. Simultaneously dry and a tiny bit sticky-ish on the finish.

Drinkability is just off the charts. I could polish a whole bottle off myself in no time flat. I just have to be patient with this... take my time... because I just don't see myself getting another chance at trying this beer.

Damn you, Tomme. Brew this again. Seriously. It's practically criminal that this could be a one-off. I was concerned that the accolades around this beer have given me unrealistic expectations and I was bound to be disappointed... nope. Not even close. Whew.

4.95/5  rDev +6.7%

7/5/2010

Old review deleted and rereviewed...the old review made no sense.

This beer is composed of Yellow Bus, Mellow Yellow (barrel aged Amigo Lager), and sour Avant Garde.

Poured into a tulip, the beer is bright golden with a frothy white head that quickly dissipates.

The aroma is of tart and sweet peaches, with light citrus and notes of oak. Brettanomyces impart barnyard notes, as well as wet horse blanket, hay, and a goatey, musty cheese character. This is outstanding. The nose is mildly lactic. Easily one of the best aromas I've witnessed on an American Wild Ale.

The taste is tart and sour up front, more so than when it was first released. Musty Brett notes and a blend of sour and tart peaches accompany a lemony citric acid piquancy and a light lactic presence. Notes of cheese, musty barnyard, and wheat are apparent. The dry finish displays a mouth puckering tartness that combines beautifully with the citrus, oak, lactic, and Brett notes. Outstanding!

The beer is light bodied with an upper medium level of carbonation and a dry, crisp, and spritzy mouthfeel. This is a truly special beer and I believe it's the best sour I've had. Unreal. This is up there with any Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen that I've tried.

10/07/2012

I opened my last bottle of Veritas 004 tonight and it's still a stunning beer. This has held up amazingly well and it's 4 years old at this point. I wish I had another case to see how it further develops because this has defied the typical American Wild Ale trend of falling off after a couple years. I'm not sure if I'll see another beer like 004, but I hope I do.

4.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Another beer from White Whale Tasting #1 generously shared by hoppymeal. Poured into a 6 oz. snifter.

A - pours a beautiful hazy straw golden color with a lot of carbonation and 3 fingers of head. I had to let it settle a bit before I finished my pour.

S- Huge sour smell, with muted wheat and funk smell. Nice lactic acidity smell, hay, citrus

T- oh man, this is great stuff....super tart and sour, but a good taste behind and not so overpowering that its off putting. Good balance of acid, wheat, and over all funk.

M - the mouthfeel is thin, but appropriate for the style. Its definitely not as clean as some of the other sours of the day, but I wouldn't change a thing about it.

D - it'd prolly burn a hole in my stomach, but I would love to drink this one all day. So well balanced....a very good tasting sour. We opened this next to yellow bus, isabelle, and dirty horse and this was my favorite with yellow bus being a close second....about as perfect as a wild can be for me!!

4.43/5  rDev -4.5%

A - Pours a yellow, hazy color with a small head and not much in the way of lacing but some chunks on the side during the drink.

S - A lot of fruit, some light lemon and something that seems to smell like cherry. A nice tartness with a bit of the oak influence.

T - Nicely tart with some mild lemon and a nice fruity background that doesn't get too sweet. Little bit of peach and small cherry that leaves the mouth cleanly.

M - Light bodied with nice carbonation, great for the style.

D - Pretty drinkable as it is not overpowering and nice and light. Seems to have less abv than 8%, like this and could do more.

4.7/5  rDev +1.3%

I tried to trade for this for over a year and failed, but somehow got a chance to try it at two different tastings in the last ~2months? Awesome.

Pours a peachy yellow color, not much head formation, some small tiny bubbles. A touch of lace.

Really great aroma, rich funkiness, bretty, slightly cheese-like funk with an abundance of fruit integrated in. Meyer lemon, peach and apricot notably. A general yeasty spiciness is also present, with a bit of a strawlike grit to it combining with the woodiness.

Huge sourness, which, quite frankly, I wasn't quite prepared for the first time I had this. Semi-puckering, actually. Really attacking the palate with sharp lemony acidity. Just great, here with some dry must left on the tongue in the finish. Dare I say reminiscent of a gueuze? Really a very impressive concoction here, perfectly executed carbonation, spritzery and effervescent highlighting the delicate and light fruit notes and sharp acidic qualities. I hope to be able to have this one again.

4.25/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks to fbm115 for sharing this bottle at a tasting on 5/29/10. Poured approx. 4oz. from a 750ml bottle into a small snifter.

A: Glowing straw color with fizzy "tight-bubble" carbonation.

S: Lemon drop shot! Smells delicious.

T: Sweet to start - lots of apples, pears, and peaches with tannins going to work to produce a tart finish.

M: A little flat despite the appearance.

D: Very refreshing. A beer that I could drink all the time.

Overall, this is probably the best Veritas in the series so far.

4.6/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Re-reveiwed, ratings from most current.

A-golden bright color with a pure white head.

S-the nose has hints of funk, very faint, strong yeast notes, lighly spicy, sour peach with a light acidity.

T-the yeast is up front with a light spice, notes of barnyard earthy funk come in behind as soft golden peaches that are rather sour come in. there is a moderate to assertive acidity with more sugary golden fruits to keep it largely drinkable.

M-medium soft body, strong carb but not biting, cirsp and fairly dry finish.

D-this is super drinkable, strong balance leaning towards sweet with an assertive yeast and light funk.

***

Big thanks to Kevin, Jeremy, and Frank on this one. Epic tasting finally getting this in the books.

A-pours a hazy lighter golden yellow color with a creamy white head.

S-very nice nose, light notes of acidity up front, golden fruits, strong peach with a touch of pear. a nice earthy funk lies underneath.

T-very good, soft flavors of peach with a light earthy funk to it. tart cherries in the back, notes of vinegar and acidity.

M-a little grainy on the palate but ever so soft. smooth medium body, well carbonated with a crisp and somewhat dry finish

D-great complexity, lighter acidity and tartness balanced by a nice golden fruity sweetness and soft earthy funk.

4.8/5  rDev +3.4%

Shared by Steve (fbm115) at a tasting 5/29/10. 4oz. pour from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a 1 finger quickly evaporating coarse white head. Beer is a cloudy lemon-yellow. Lacing is non-existant with the tiny bit of spottiness here and there.

S: Lemon, cherry, sweet and sour peach. Wood, peat, and earthiness are all present to complement the fruit. Slight ethanol in the background. Good complexity here but what makes this is that the fruit flavors are easily distinguishable and all very potent.

T: Big tartness at the outset makes my face cringe. Mellow lemons with peach in the background. On my second sip, I get a bit more used to the sour. Malt profile kicks in with cherries and a different side of the peach. Finish is citrussy but clean and dry. Aftertaste is near non-existant.

M: Light bodied, highly carbonated, and very lively and coarse. Dry in the mouth and dry at the finish with a great, clean aftertaste that gets you ready for the next sip.

D: This beer clearly stands out for me from the heavily loaded and hyped veritas series. Great complexity and cleaness here with a spot-on mouthfeel. The nose provides a glimpse of what the beer is all about and then the flavors follow through perfectly. An amazing brew, if you're ever going to try to acquire a veritas, let it be this one, it more than does its siblings justice. And really, as a fellow BA said, "if the beer tastes amazing, who the heck cares what it looks like!"

4.68/5  rDev +0.9%

Numbeercruncher threw this in as an EXTRA back in Nov, '08.... Great trade and then Matt threw off the whole equilibrium by including this... I've been sitting on this bottle for a long time and wanted to make sure that the proper Peeps had a chance to enjoy it.... We had a great tasting last weekend... This was one of the first bottles.

Hazy yellow.. nice head and retention..

Nose is amazing... very balanced sour.. oak.. musty/basement underripe apricot.. bits and pieces of funky brett.. lemon zest.. dank hay....

very tart out of the gate.... green apple skin.. meyer lemon zest.. I swear there is some "peach" essence in there... dips into some gueze "lite" category... funky and very elegant.. some pronounced lactic traces on late pours..

Amazing.... incredibly well done.... I had a couple of pours of Yellow Bus at the GABF and I think the Veritas actually had more Peachy qualitities... Wonderful... worthy of the hype for sure.

4/5/4.5/4.5/5