Duck Duck Gooze - The Lost Abbey

Wants: 3,234
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: illidurit on 07-13-2009

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.
Reviews: 256 | Hads: 1,527

Thanks to Chris for sharing. Are you effin kidding me? I was so surprised by this beer. He and his wife got me into sours and this was on my 'wants' list for some time. Actually it still is and will alway be on my wants list to try and share alike.

A - pours a bright yellow. White head, light lacing.

S - Not that strong. I smell some funk with hints of lemon peel and lime.

T - sweet and dry finish with some good funk and sour uppertone that takes it away and makes you want to have this again and again.

M - perfect. Level of carbonation with bubbly action throughout.

D - Sour, sour, and sour, but not off-putting at all. The lemon notes keep me interested.

O - This is a celebration beer for any good occasion.

Reviewing the 2009 vintage of the infamous Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey out of San Marcos, California. Shout out to Jonathan Feldman for bringing this bottle!

Score: 100

2009 vintage bottle served in an hard plastic wine chalice and enjoyed on 05/18/13 side-by-side with a bottle of 2012 Cable Car as part of our Chicago Craft Beer Week whales tasting. Review is from iPhone notes.

Appearance: Similar color to, but a little lighter and more "bright" than, the Cable Car (orangey-golden in color). Only a thin ring of head around glass off the pour. Surprisingly good lacing and retention (Cable Car absolutely lacked both). 5/5

Smell: Tart apples, pear, hint of mango. Super sour nose. 5

Taste: Incredibly tart peach, apple, mango, lemon and some vinegar. Lacto too, but not in a funky way. A light amount of pine as well. 5/5

Mouthfeel: A little more body than Cable Car (which was light-medium bodied) with a perfect level of carbonation as well. More tart than Cable Car too, with a tongue tingling zestiness that was like drinking liquid warhead candy. Just as dry as Cable Car on the finish. 5/5

Overall: Even better than Cable Car. This is one I wish I had a case (or ten) of. I love how "clean" and sour this was, without being heavy on the funk. This is one of the best beers I have had the opportunity to sample. Prost!

Cost: $40 for a 750 ml bottle.

A: golden straw color absolutely gorgeous, the color almost matches the label. Slightly hazy and milky.

S: barnyard funk with sour earthiness. sharp and scrumptious.

T: sour, funky, and complex. Its dry but very sour but that sourness if balanced out by the funky barnyard bretty taste.

M: very smooth and rich. sharp and biting at the same time. as with every other aspect of the beer a great balance.

D: way to easy to drink for being a sharp long aged sour. the complexity and balance allows it to be very easy to drink.

This is probably one of my favorite sours ever. Incredibly easy to drink and yet still incredibly sour and complex. An absolute pleasure to drink and makes me want to find a way to get a case of DDG.

Bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to Kyle for sharing the wealth!

(A)- Pours a clear orange/yellow color that produced a white head that dissipated after awhile. (4.0)

(S)- Some great tart fruits and sour; almost lactic background. Lightly earthy of hay, but mostly the sour wine-like fruits dominated the aroma. (4.5)

(T)- Rather sour, but a great sour profile at that. Some light earthy hay from the smell, but again, the lemon and white grape-like fruits take center stage.(5.0)

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. A potent sour/acidic level, but supplemented well by light earth and fruits. It finishes rather clean despite its potency.(4.5)

(D)- This is really a great Wild worth getting your hands on some. Has a great profile and balance with just the right amount of each aspect. Great stuff.(5.0)

(original review: A+ / 4.65)

**Updated review**
750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. 2009 Vintage.

(A)- Pours a semi cloudy golden apricot yellow/orange color. Produced a decent white head that dissipated down to foam. Minimal lacing. It really does have a beautiful looking color.

(S)- Dry, yet a wonderful acidic sourness. Great tart lemon rind, white grape, and an almost lime or peach fruits. Not a ton of funk, but just enough hay and vinegar-like earth to mesh really well together with the sour fruits.

(T)- Very similar to the smell in every way. A really nice dry, acidic lemon tart and white grape sourness. Minimal dry earthy hay funk on the finish with even more almost juicy, yet tart lemon and maybe peach on the finish.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. It really has a beautifully balanced profile of tart acidic fruits and mellow dry earth. Its so smooth despite its sourness.

(D)- Just an absolute wonderful wild ale. It really is even better than what I remember from my first time trying it! With a much larger amount to critique and a more quiet setting to enjoy it in, I felt that this deserves an even better rating than I originally gave it. Just a wonderfully easy drinking; balanced and dynamic beer. Lost Abbey has been hit or miss for me, but I really think this is hands down their best offering. I really do not see how it can get any better than this for the style

Absolutely perfect gueze. Had next to V010 and V013 and it was memorable. No fruit but just amazing, intense sour, moderate funk, not over carbed. A pleasure to savor slowly.

I've had this beer so many times and just realized I've never reviewed it. It's my all time favorite and I'm glad I still have a few left.

Beautiful golden pour with nice white head. Smells delicious! Tart, sour, a little funk and sweetness. Tastes amazing, a little sweet then a nice sour pucker and funk on the finish. A nice balance that keeps evolving with time.

Great mouthfeel. I found this beer had a lot of body when I first tried it and I knew it would age well, as the years pass the body is thinning but it still has so many years to go.

Overall an amazing beer, definitely the best American Wild ale I've ever had. Still has plenty of body and I honestly don't even think it's peeked yet.

2013 vintage poured into Tulip, an amazing funky citrus aroma. Taste is perfectly tart and sour. This is a great american gooze. I think they nailed it out of the park on this one. Age is going to treat this brew very nicely.

Giving a beer a perfect 5 is not an easy thing to do... but I must say, this beer is a 5. I am a fan of wild ales and the Gose style so it makes sense I would enjoy it.

It's tart, it's slightly salty, it's a perfect representation of the style.

Shared a 2013 bottle at the V16 bottle release. Amazed that this lived up to the hype. Amazing oak character blends into layer after layer of tart. Stoked to finally try this!

4.99/5  rDev +10.4%

A near perfect beer, but splitting hairs (i.e. how's hotter, Megan Fox or Kate Upton). Had it via taster and bottle, although I feel the bottle was better than what was poured from the tap. This is probably the best Wild Ale (or technically 'a geueze but really not a geuze' bc not in Belgium). Yes, there's a lot of hype with DDG, but well deserved. Would I pimp slap an angry football player for seconds? Yes, I would. Now the review: carbonation is perfect and a very clean mouthfeel. Tasty as hell with a long and the right amount of sour finish. Very well composed and should improve with age, which is scary to think of its potential.

4.99/5  rDev +10.4%

DDG 2013 into Tulip served at about 45 degrees. Finally getting around to my first bottle since release.

Pours a deep gold color with medium to small white head that leaves a good amount of lacing on the sides of the glass after dissipating to a small crown atop the WELL carbonated liquid contents.

Aroma on this is freshly squeezed lemon juice, peach, grape, passion fruit, a touch of earthiness/mustiness, and a faint floral note much like rose petals. The nose on this is just as inviting as any Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen that have traversed my nasal cavity.

The taste brings sweet lemon, astringent white grape, peach, and hay upfront with lemon warheads from the middle to back of the tongue. Sweet orange balanced by sour pucker and a slight bitterness for the finale. So much balance!

Mouthfeel is perfect. A heavier side of light body with the perfect amount of carbonation. It makes this so drinkable for a sour.

Overall. This is world class. Period. The balance present in this is what makes it so phenomenal. Im a fan of bold flavors, balance, and drinkability in any beer style. This is the epitome of those three descriptors summed up in the American Wild Ale style. This is ready to drink now. NOW! More sourness may appeal to some, but not me. The bottle is almost done. All by myself in less than an hr and a half. I'm in love...

4.97/5  rDev +10%

So damn happy to be able to get a hold of this one. Big thanks to Stonepurist for sending this one out to me. Chilled down to 50 degrees and the 750ml bottle was popped and decanted into my darkness snifter. Consumed on 08/06/2009.

Appearance 4.5 - Poured out a very hazy golden yellow color. A little white head on top, maybe a quarter of an inch but it stayed on top for damn near the entire session, really looked quite nice I have to admit. Light rings of lace on the side of the glass and a really nice and very bright color to it.

Smell 5 - Beautiful. Like a funky masterpiece. Loads of tart apple notes, hints of sour grapes, lots of fruit all over the place. Bright, with a touch of light citrus notes bouncing around as well. Very well put together I have to admit. Really am like where this one is going. As I let it warm it opens up even more. So bright and complex, yet simple. Sour at its perfection.

Taste 5 - Ok. So I am anticipating something huge here. To be honest I have followed this beers progress for a while, drooling at the early reviews and statements of it. I am comparing it to Isabelle, again another sublime beer. I take the first sip, the only thoughts that cross my mind bring me back to being a long lad growing up in Jersey. Running through the orchards and picking fresh granny smith apples. You take that first bite into the green fruit on that crisp fall day and all bets are off. Huge tart and sour notes just pucker your lips and leave you in amazement of the flavor you are experiencing. It was like that times ten. I was floored. Clean, crisp, super funky and tart, I was beyond impressed here. One of the best tasting beers, let alone sour beers that I have ever come across. It was really that damn good. Say what you will, but wow. Nice long drawn out close to it really lets that flavors absorb on the palate and that taste, which wonderful sour taste just will not fade and hangs in your mouth forever. Not much else I can say, but wow.

Feel 5 - Perfect. Carbonation is spot on. Light and airy. Flavors are accented wonderful by the feel. This is what dreams are made of people.

Drinkability - Incredible, I could have drank this one all day. Unbelievably crisp. That taste was mind-blowing, carbonation perfect. Light balanced and sublime. I was so utterly sad to see the last drop leave my glass that it depressed me the rest of the night.(not really I had another bottle)

Overall - Wow, just wow. I had been worried with all the heat that Lost Abbey has taken recently as to whether or not this one would stand up. And boy did it ever. One of the best sours I have ever had, hands down. Up there with Isabelle and Beatification, this thing is a beast. This must be sought out, it lives up to the hype and actually surpassed it for me.

4.97/5  rDev +10%

Shared a bottle with the gf last weekend at Beachwood BBQ.

A - Nice brown/amber pour with a milky/hazy quality

S - A lot going on, has all the qualities of a good Gueze

T - Absolutely amazing, one of the best sours/lambics/Gueze I've had

M - Hits all the sweet spots and a few swirls in a the mouth really opens up all the taste it has to offer

D - As I said, split the bottle with one other person and it was not too heavy (nice 7%) nor did it's taste wane

4.97/5  rDev +10%

I can't thank sweemzander enough for scoring this bottle for our tasting crew. I had a tiny sample of this a Darkness day and it haunted my dreams from that day forward. Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A: Cloudy orange gold hue. Small amount of bright white head. Tiny lace ring.

S: Wonderful aroma. Citrus, grape skins, light funk, lactic sour, dusty wood, basement. Nothing in your face. Just a perfect balance of sweet and sour.

T: Just like the aroma the flavor is spectacular. Perfect balance of sweet juicy citrus fruits and sour lactic bite. Mild funk that plays off the other components so well. Lemons, white grapes, wet hay, dusty wood, damp basement. So delicious.

M: Medium body. Very creamy yet carbonated perfect.

D: Overall a true master piece of a wild ale. Thanks again sweem for the chance to sample a healthy serving of this epic brew.

4.97/5  rDev +10%

Giant thanks to auroracrisis for sending me this way back when. Finally got a chance to open it with the right people.

Pours a clear golden color with a bubbly white head. As soon as the yeast gets kicked up, the pours become hazy.

Sour without being vinegary, acidic and fruity. Light funk...just amazing...

The taste is mindblowing. Again, it's sour without being vinegary, fruity and citric, very acidic and mouthpuckering. Light funk. Lemons and tart green apples.

Mouthfeel is light with a sharp acidity. Fine carbonation. Excellent all the way around. Drinkability is perfect.

This might be better than Isabelle, but I'd have to do a side by side to be sure. I really can't think of anything to make this better, but I can't rate it perfect so I suppose it could look a little better (better head, more lacing, etc). This might be the closest to perfect that I ever have in a beer.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry and good carb.

Overall an amazing beer. Can't wait till it comes out again.

SD Sunshine
food and bread

Yellow beer with whitish head

funky spiders, maybe dust
A wonderful Cantillon-like musk

Taste is SOUR, Cantillon SOUR
Tomme Arthur has the POWER

This beer is really close to a real gueuze
for a domestic interpretation it is what I would choose

Good one Tommy, good one crew
Duck Duck Gooze is just for you

4.96/5  rDev +9.7%

Picked up the 2013 vintage from Lost Abbey this past Labor Day weekend.
Initial Tasting: September 11, 2013
A - Pours a vibrant orange hue with a slight haze and a spritzy evolving foam. Decent two-finger head with a vigorous pour that quickly settles to a nice white layer of small bubbles at the surface.
S - Smell is loaded with sour, citrus zest and potent Belgian-style yeast. Fresh and bright aromas of green apples, coriander, and lemon peel. Some bready tones with a nice biscuit backbone.
T - Initial sip is bright and tart . Immediately bombarded with citrus and sour tartness that blends into some sweet stone fruit, like an early nectarine or peach. There is a slight tartness derived from some cherry cabernet and a subtle oak undertone. Delicious.
M - Nice sparkling texture with a quaffable presence. Lends to a nice drinkability, but its depth beckons a quiet, soft sipping approach. There is a slight acidity that dulls the tongue at first, but blends well with the rest of the body. Finishes wetter on the palate than others with a salivating finish that feeds the next sip. Only thing keeping the mouthfeel from a 5 is the acidity.
O - I was skeptical on how great this Wild Ale offering could be, even with all the hype, but I am pleasantly surprised. While I was intent on writing off this acquisition as foolish (internet purchasing debacle, road trip to San Diego, etc), I am content in saying it was worth it. It's definitely one of the more stronger wild ales I've enjoyed yet. I can't wait to age this a bit and hopefully mute out some of the acidity that is present. Go little bottle yeast ducklings, go!

4.94/5  rDev +9.3%

Seriously one of the best beers ever. Glad I got a bottle.

Pours a golden color with a nice thin head. Dissapated to a ring. Nice lacing.

Aroma is amazing. Very oaky and funky. Little bit of malt.

Taste is perfect. Nice oak and sour balance. Not too sour but nice. Perfect flavor.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry and good carb.

Overall an amazing beer. Can't wait till it comes out again.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

Really amazing beer...without doubt, one of the best, most drinkable and complex sours I’ve tried (and I’ve had my share). Cloudy honey pour with an amazing amount of carbonation for the style producing a 1/4 inch ivory head that diminishes to a ring. Aroma of peaches, balsamic, citrus rind, and grapes. Flavor doesn’t show the typical "barnyard" qualities...instead combining tart, sweet, and fruitiness. Green apple Jolly Ranchers, lemongrass, apricot, and grapefruit...balanced and incredible.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

Another one from ummagum - many thanks! Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a Duvel tulip. My last several Lost Abbey's have been flat or close to it so nervous opening this one. Nice loud pop when opening - off to a good start. Was a hazy honey color with lots of center carb plus streams on the outside. Quick sliding lace that doesn't stick. It had a good sized fizzy white head that settled into a collar.

The aroma was excellent. Funky, sour, horseblanket, lemon, and grape. Semi-dry as well. Very nice and near the top of wild ale aromas for me. A little more funk and it would be perfect. The taste followed the aroma and again was exceptional. Sour bite from the start with good fruity balance. Ends with a eye closing pucker and then fades so you are ready for the next drink. Mouthfeel was excellent. Dry but not overly dry. Great carbonation and tart finish.

Overall, an exceptional wild ale that is worthy of the hype and praise. A world class beer. Very reminiscent of Isabelle Proximus which is one of my all-time favorites. Most highly recommend. Rotation: not available here and extremely hard to get so while I'd like some more this probably it for now. If here, I would get several bottles a year.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

On tap April 1, 2015. Was blown away to find out it wasn't an april fools joke! Phenomenal beer that lives up to the hype. Just bummed i don't have any bottles for myself!

A - Very crisp Golden/yellow with zero lacing and head dissipates immediately.
S - Citrus, funk, acidity, and sour apple
T - Apple, lemon peel, white grapes, mild vinegar and slight oak barrel presence. Nice little sweetness finishes each sip leaving you ready for more
M - Lighter-medium bodied. Very easy to drink and carbonation was well within respectable limits
O - Fantastic beer, glad i was passing by the tap room and was able to sneak in just in time to get a pour! Will be ISO bottles

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

I wanted to do a batch 1 vs batch 2 review but ain't nobody got time for that.

A: Deep orange and radiant hay/illuminated foxtails at the edges of the glass, bubbly frothy eggshell carb, nice lacing dropping doily webbing like Peter Parker down the edges. This is what was inside of Marcellus Wallace's briefcase.

S: Incredible fruit esters, apricot, lactic acidity, tangelo, nectarines, tangerines, a subtle sweetness and a light musk on the backend like wet hay.

T: This just rips up the mouth carpet like a day laborer and lays acidic laminate like a licensed ph3 contractor. There is shocktarts, sweet tarts, lemon zest, grapefruit dryness, and a musky leather aspect on the backend that keeps the acidity in check. Absolutely phenomenal.

M: This is incredibly drying and just drills your gumline like a Peter North video. Incredibly acidic and rolls back those bicuspics and leaves your mandible aching in the best possible way. She is raw with your mouth but you wouldn't have it any other way, you already are waiting for her to return in 3 years for another tryst in the hay. Cankersores await in the morning but it is the sweet succor of a casual duck sesh.

D: this is exceptionally drinkable despite the incredible acidity and if you can't handle it, work your jaws up with some Petrus and take your complaints elsewhere. The price and availability of this is a complete testicle and wallet defacement that makes me longing for more. Some will take calm refuge and say that 3F Oude Gueuze is better, denial is a hella of a panacea. This is an almost perfect AWA in every way, it is not a gueuze, but it goes beyond even traditional Goozies in sheer excess and panache like an acidic ZR1 that pushes you down in your seat with sheet acidic stiff arming. Fucking phenomenal, every bit as good as B1 that will continue to improve despite the 1.0001 FG. Mark my words.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle shared by newk340 at our recent La Crosse sour tasting, thanks Nick! Split with some upright BAs and poured into snifters:

A - A nice gold, orange which is darker in the center. Pretty well carbonated with a nice ring of foam and nice clouds in the middle. Lacing is really nice.

S - Really nice citrus funk. Peaches and lemon zest, apples and grape skins. Really Delicious.

T - Just a great tasting sour. Sugar patches kids with more sour. Lemon, lime, grapefruit, sour grapes and lots of sour peaches. Really great flavor and funk and pretty damn sour.

M - Tartness and sour tingle throughout. The carbonation is really nice.

O - Really tart. Pretty much perfect in the taste and smell sector. We had a lot great sours at this tasting and this was my top pick for winner. I really, really need to get a bottle for myself.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle shared by Overlord. Thanks Mike. I've had this on tap a couple times but have yet to open a bottle of my own. Consumed on a nice day in Carlsbad on 11/03/2009 and poured into a snifter. The beer appears cloudy tangerine orange with a two finger white head and great retention.

The nose is musty barnyard, cheese, and wet leather accompanied by orange and lemon. There's moderate acidity in the aroma, as well as notes of oak. Wow. The combination of citrus and funk is outstanding. There's moderate lactic character.

The taste is acidic tart lemon and orange with a moderate lactic sourness. Brett provides mustiness, moderate funk, and a decided cheese quality to the beer. The tart citrus is delicious. Oak is evident. I enjoyed this bottle immensely more than I enjoyed my tap sample. The finish is acidic citrus with a lingering tartness and lactic sourness. This stuff is killer, and so damn drinkable. I'd venture to say this is one of my favorite American Wild Ales and a marvel of blending. Highly recommended. This beer deserves the Gold Medal it won at GABF 2009.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

I've been hearing insane things about this beer before it was ever even bottled. As much as I hate to follow the crowd, I've gotta say: This beer was absolutely worth the hype!

A- Pours a deep, rich gold with a quickly dissipating head. Although hazy, the color of this beer surprised me in that it is very deep for a (neo)geuze.

S- Acetic and lactic sourness. Complex notes of cider and balsamic vinegar compliment a lemony, fruity aroma. A mild breadiness is cut by notes of sour apple and tart peach.

T- Sour with a honey-like sweetness. Dry and complex. Honey and lemon are the first two things that are noted, but not simultaneously. A rich, honey-like sweetness coats the palate and is quite abruptly cut off by sour notes of lemon and green apple. Herbal, peppery tones lead into a lingering sour finish.

M- Big with a nice dry finish.

D- I don't even know what to write for drinkablility. Although, I do wish I had more of it to drink.

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey