Duck Duck Gooze - The Lost Abbey

Wants: 3,132
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: illidurit on 07-13-2009

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duck Duck Gooze Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,448 | Reviews: 260
4.63/5  rDev 0%

From a 750 mL at the brewery. Plenty of "ooohs" and "aaaahs" as we took it back to our table.

A: Beautiful, faintly hazy, luminescent gold color. Thin film of sudsy white head, which is stirred up nicely by a swirl.

S: Lightly funky, but tart citrus, grain, and lactic notes dominate. Appetizing.

T: Balanced citrus, tart apple, and honeyed peach flavors. Just a touch of barnyardy notes... certainly much less than in some European examples I've had. This will appeal to more palates than Oude Geueze, for example; it is very, very easy to like. One person said it was like champagne (?).

M: Cuts well, but very balanced and smooth-textured.

D: Tops. I could drink this ALL FREAKIN' DAY.

So glad I got to try this. Absolutely wonderful.

4.62/5  rDev -0.2%

Served On-Tap at Monk's Cafe for Philly Beer Week. I love this city! Thanks Tomme and Tom.

Coming at me with a hazy yellowish blond look with hints of orange poking around in there. Looks a bit lighter than medium in build and there is no head at all from the tap, no lacing. Smells include big musk of barn with horse and hay. A big basket of lemons and assorted fruits. Oak, wood and some musty aroma with a dousing of brett, maybe lacto? Smells like it's going to be sour. And it is, a nice sour gueuze. I had this out of the bottle young and can tell it's only growing in funk. Taste is tart lemon drops with apricot and small pineapple blast. Warming brings a bit of apple to the stage. In the middle a earthy taste with oak tannins but not any vanilla which is ok by me. The sourness is pleasant and a bit acidic, but not quite there yet. There is actually a nice faint sweetness going along with the sour in that order. Puckering, yes, overly puckering, no. Quite balanced. Medium bodied and nicely carbed. Crisp and semi dry I 'll take another please. Id like to see where this goes in a year or two but the chances of getting another bottle are slim. Another winner.

4.62/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle courtesy of Bankhead at the Charlottesville tasting--thanks so much! Delicious!

A: Very bubbly with about half a finger of head that disappears almost instantly into very large bubbles. Light peach and tangerine in the color. Looks like a very dark, yellowish white wine. Almost no lacing, even with agitation, but sill very pretty, especially the hazy white residue across the top of the beer.

S: As could probably be predicted with ease, very very sour. Slight hint of syrupy candy--perhaps bubblegum? A bit of white grapes, light orange, and white vinegar. There's also a nice barnyard funk with pretty dominant notes of hay and horse hair, saddle leather, as well as sweet grass.

T: Very sour and acidic taste approximating sour powder, yet tempered by other elements of the taste. A ton of white vinegar and white grapes here--which I absolutely love--as well as a heavy grapefruit taste. There's a slight funk to the taste, also, which is expressed as slight hay and grass as well as a sort of earthy or maybe a bitter herb or oak, as well as a little bit of a leathery taste.

M: a little sparkly and very fine, tiny bubbles form a crisp, refreshing, sour brew. Very fine bubbles--I almost want them to be a little bigger, though not by much. It's still very good, but I'm not sure I could put it up to a 4.5 or 5. Almost no aftertaste whatsoever.

D: highly drinkable. Mmmm. I have a feeling that if I weren't trying to get a review out of the tasting amount, this one would be gone pretty quickly (though the sour does naturally slow you down slightly).

4.62/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Damian and Lona for this one. Awesome!

A: Gold, clear color with little head and lacing. Good.

S: wow, awesome funk backed up by plenty of oak, vanilla, bright fruits and a definite alcohol nose. Nice mature smell.

T: Clear funk with grape, bright fruit, oak barrel, vanilla, and champagne. Lots of wild yeast, and a sweet dry finish. Really nice.

M: Smooth, well carbonated and beautiful dry feel.

D: Excellent drinker for a sour. Very nice.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Received two bottles of this in the mail courtesy of Papollo as a gift. Awesome and huge thanks again!

Appearance- Pours without exaggeration one of the best looking American wild ales that I've seen. A beautiful golden with a good deal of carbonation and about one finger of tight white head that sticks around for a bit and then dies back to a thin layer. The bottom of the bottle is a bit hazy as it pours out, and I add a little of the residual yeast to my glass, making it a nice cloudy golden.

Smell- Very lactic and tart up from. Very vinous and smells of white grapes, citrus, and apples. A fair amount of barnyard and actually the first time that I think I've smelled leather/horseblanket in a beer before as well. Always wondered about those, but here they are, and I've smelled horseblankets before, and it is surprisingly similar. Excellent and complex nose.

Taste- Very tart. Again, very vinous, almost like a white wine with grape being the predominant citrus flavor and also some apple. Funk is pretty strong, especially in my glass given that I added some yeast (tried a sip from a cup poured from the top of the bottle, which was definitely less funky). Barnyard shows up again a bit, but less strong than the nose. Very tart, delicious, and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Spot on carbonation and more body than I'm used to for the style. Excellent in my opinion, and the drinkability is great and makes it worth the price tag.

Overall, lives up to the hype machine. A great beer and though labeled an American wild ale, the closest American approximation to a Belgian gueuze that I've ever tasted I'd say. I have a second bottle that I'm going to age and give another try. We'll see how this one grows. Get a bottle if you can.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Purchased at the Pizza Port Carlsbad back in early August. Sampled on September 15, 2009.

A: Beautiful golden, tawny apricot color with a fairly long-lasting bone-white head. The initial head on a semi-hard pour into my tulip glass was a little over an inch, and it has settled down to a little over a quarter of an inch. Rich effervescent bubbles immediately after the pour settle into a mild vertical flight of carbonation as the brew settles. The lacing clings mildly as I quaff the beer down.

S: A prickly sourness is the most apparent scent upon first sniff. As I bring the glass back for another whiff, I smell sweet Meyer lemons alongside sour green grapes and a few tropical notes. There's also a slight oakiness, which I gather will assert itself further as the beer warms from fridge temperature. As it warms, there is a little more of a slightly funky earthy aroma.

T: As with the nose, there is a mouth-puckering tartness as I take my first sip; it takes my mouth a moment to adjust, and my eyes have gotten a little watery. While I'm certainly no sour expert, I wouldn't recommend this as a beginner's wild ale. As I get further into the glass I can detect a lot more--the lemon is much less pronounced in the taste, and coming further is more of a Granny Smith-type sourness.

M: The tartness is obvious and the first sip made my lips pucker and left my cheeks quite dry; the dryness subsides as my palate becomes more accustomed to the beverage, but the refreshing acidic tartness remains throughout. The carbonation is fairly light, which is very nice and refreshing on what is hopefully one of the last hot days here in Northern Virginia. My biggest complaint is that this is something my taste buds were able to adjust to a little too much, as the last sip wasn't nearly as puckering as the first couple. Also, while not a style that needs plenty of carbonation, this one could use a tad bit more.

D: Drinkability is quite high; as I took my second sip, I was saddened by the fact that I had only another 700 mL or so of this tart, puckering nectar. While this may not have been the kindest year to Lost Abbey, Duck Duck Gooze is certainly making the brightest impression upon me.

4.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This brewery is outstanding and easy to find all types here in Cali. This beer Is special. unearthly

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've had this a couple of times now, last time a bottle I split with my wife. Just a fantastic brew, and everything I was looking for in the style. Sure, its still on the young side and exhibits more of the acetic and lactic notes than it does the barnyard at this juncture, but I like that too. Really its a matter of taste. The analogy that comes to mind is that of a soft, washed rind cheese- do you like it ripe, runny, and rank, or do you like it a little firmer, slightly sour, and just a bit piquant? Same with wild ales for me. I like them both ways, and I think one can have a classic in either maturity level. This particular beer is a classic for me in the younger, tarter vein. This pours a hazy yellow with a thin wispy head that sticks around. Smells beautifully balanced with sour acetic, lactic, and bright fruit- the fruit components showcase orange, tangerine, and muscat. Just beautiful. The taste has a long lactic finish, bright citrus, and some light funk coupled with nice firm tannins from the oak. The mouthfeel is lactic and punchy with enough tannins to give some structure to the sour fruit. Great beer, and a testament to what Lost Abbey can do when eveerything goes well.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to dagspaceyo for sharing this one.

Opens with a nice pop to it. Poured into stone old guardian snifter.

Pours hardly and head. Color is a nice hazed sunset hued orange straw color. Some sediment in the glass.

Aroma: Lots of horse blanket and funk. A nice amount of fruit: peaches, muskmelon, grapes, and cherries. Very nice aroma. Some oak and citric acid as well.

Taste: A lot like the aroma. Nice and funky. Horse blanket with lots of fruit: peaches, apricots, grapes, and cherries. It starts out sour and tart, but then ends a lot sweeter and clean. The oak and citric acid shows in a good way again.

Mouthfeel: Sour and tart. Lighter to medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation, but nice for the style. Ends sweet and clean.

Overall, this is one fine beer. Very drinkable. I slowly savored this one to try and make it last longer. Very good. I really enjoyed how it started sour and ended sweet. Glad I got to try this one. Thanks Daniel!

Edit, after having a bottle thanks to kbutler1, I just can't set this beer down. Amazing drinkability *bumped score to a 5.0.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

5 oz. pour. HUGE thanks to BMan1113VR for bringing this to my tasting last night. Review from notes.

Murky straw golden color. Finger of fluffy white head that dies down to a layer of foam. No lace.

Smells quite sour. Horse blanket. Sour white grapes.

Tastes of white wine, horse blanket, peaches, apricots, and sour grapes. Refreshing and bright.

Mouthfeel is pretty puckering, light bodied, and light carbonation.

Pretty insanely drinkable. Great to try this one. Would be awesome on a hot summer day.

4.59/5  rDev -0.9%

Review from notes. Huge thanks to Jay for opening this one up.

A: Pours a clear, extremely golden color with no head or lacing at all.

S: Nice tartness, very fragrant peach, apricot, and a little bit of lemon. There is a very nice sourness mixed with some light funk and acid, but the fruit is quite nice.

T: Fantastic, lots of lemon and peach with a great mixture of tart/funk/earthy flavors. There is some citrus fruit and a little stone fruit. Very sharp acidity on the back end. Faint oak comes through as well.

M: Medium bodied, extremely smooth with a great level of carbonation.

O: Lives up to its reputation. Great fruit flavor with the level of sourness/acidity that I love in this style. Thanks again Jay!

4.59/5  rDev -0.9%

Many thanks to Greg for opening a bottle of this at his tasting! From notes on 1/16.

Pours a kind of hazy yellowish peach color with a good amount of wispy white foam. Leaves some abstract lacing.

Very complex nose. Lots going on here varying from musty bales of hay and leathery notes down low to brighter fruity flavors of tart citrus and granny smith apples on the surface. Some more rich funkiness is evident as it warms and presents itself in a dirty gym sock kind of way. A bit of damp wood, moderate acidity prefacing what's to come.

Initial sharp tartness leads to a good bretty funk mid palate. Some sweet fruitiness is evident which helps ease the acidity, though not by much at all. Lemon zest and a little buttery wood. Like if you toasted a piece of oak as if it were bread, then spread a light layer of butter on it. Anyway, it ends pretty dry.

A very nice level of carbonation makes this brew even more pleasing to the palate and begs for another sip. I would drink a bottle of this every week or so if I had a couple people around to share a bottle. DDG is by no means an introductory sour, but the flavor really isn't too intense. I was digging the aroma much more. Having said that, this beer is pretty...pretty....pretty good. I look forward to seeing how it develops with a little time.

4.58/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

750ml bottle of the 2013 release. Poured into a Lost Abbey teku glass today, 4/23/2014.

Review #551.

A- Straw yellow-brown body. One finger white head, fair retention, not a ton of lacing. In comparison to Beatification, this looks pretty much just like Sour in the Rye- aka a darker hued blonde.

S- There is a lot of lacto here, as evidenced by a thick, wet yogurt acidity that somewhat comes to dominate the nose. There is some vinous qualities, a bit of vinegar, tart apple flavours, sharp yeast flavours and a nice dry oak contribution. No real red wine barrel notes, but the vinous notes I do get seem to remind me more of a dry white wine.

F- This is where DDG shines the most. This is easily one of the more complex American wild ales I've ever had the opportunity to try. Dry oak, vinous grape, lactobacillus & yogurt, vinegar, a bit of breadiness, tart green apple, chardonnay. It's definitely a pleasure to drink and dissect. Very complex palate profile.

M- Medium bodied, not quite custardy but a bit thicker than a typical sour that's intended to be fashioned in the style of the Belgian lambic. Nice carbonation that leaves a nice fizzy finish initially, but that's lost after a little while.

O- This is probably one of the most complex American wild ales that I'll ever have the chance to try. It does seem to fade in the nose and flavour as it warms up, but I still enjoyed this a lot. I believe people when they say this and Beatification are better than Cable Car, and I'm very happy to have the opportunity to try a good one-third of a 750ml bottle of this to dissect and enjoy. Its certainly not an Armand'4 geuze, but as far as American wilds go, this is excellent.

4.57/5  rDev -1.3%

Draft at Monk's during Philly Beer Week 2010.

Beautiful golden with fluffy cream colored head and persistent lacing. Bubbles emanating from the bottom of the glass throughout the drink.

Aroma was butter and lemon, along with some vanilla and hints of grapefruit and grass.

Great tart lemon up front and some nice vanilla earthy funk on the finish.

Slight acidity and great carbonation, relatively light body.

Overall, another fantastic and drinkable sour from Tomme..

4.57/5  rDev -1.3%

Big thanks to Alex and Bryna for opening this up; I mentioned I'd never had it, and next thing you know, I open the fridge and there it is, on deck...

A - It pours a cloudy yellow hue, about the same shade as the bottle's label, and it is capped with a short-lived fizzy white head.

S - The nose is woody-astringent, and replete with tart citric notes, especially white grapefruit rind and lemon/lime zest. The funk is fairly acetic, with white wine vinegar notes.

T - Lemons, lime zest and a strange grassy greeness that reminds me of elderflower lead the way in terms of the flavor profile. Some apple skin and white grape are definitely there, too, as is an astringent oakiness. This brew is definitely way sour and astringent, it has a lot of acidity. It is not like what I expected, though it is quite nice; I guess I was sort of expecting something like IP, Deviation, Bottleworks X, Beatification or FF; it doesn't remind me of any of those.

M - The feel is less than medium-bodied, and is pert and puckering, drying, and then finishes mouth-watering. Enhancing.

O - A very nice brew, I am glad I had it. I would not consider it as good as IP, Deviation, FF or Bottleworks X, to name-drop a few I've had recently, but it is quite nice.

4.57/5  rDev -1.3%

Enjoyed a pint of this glorious stuff at "Christmas in July", hosted by Lost Abbey on 7/25/09.

A: Like most lambics and gueuzes, the lacing and head potential exhibited by this beer appeared to be on the weaker side. When held into the sunlight, a beautiful orange-yellow haze hue peered through the cup. Very reminiscent of a good summer hefeweizen and/or Belgian style golden ale.

S: A delicate and complex aroma. Lots of citrus and sour up front, neither one overshadowing the other, followed by green apple.

T: Not as subtle as the smell indicated, Duck Duck Gooze had a very intense flavor profile and tart character. A mixture of various citrus fruits along with green grapes and green apple seem to come through on the palate, which went well with the very refreshing tart/sour finish.

M: A much bigger body than what I had expected...somewhat thick and hazy I guess; ample carbonation as well.

D: Very impressed! The amount of alcohol and abundant flavors brought forth from this beer are amazing.

Overall: The quality and complexity of this sour was extremely similar to those brewed by Russian River...who probably do the best job with this style. A must have. Cheers!

4.57/5  rDev -1.3%

750 mL bottle shared with beandip and starrdogg.

Pours a hazed golden apricot color with a delicate, wispy white head that quickly fades to a thin ring and little lacing. Almost has a pulpy, resiny texture to the appearance.

Aroma is a rich, sweet blend of lemon, grape skin, vanilla oak, grass, light funk. Sweeter than expected and not as funky, but very well balanced.

Incredibly easy drinking, initially has a mild funkiness that never turns into an oppresive barnyard funk bomb. Lemon and grass sourness appears mid palate before finishing fruity and sweeter with grapes and vanilla oak.

Lighter side of medium body with soft, fine carbonation. Finish lingers with green apple and lemon.

Well that was nice.

4.57/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to Dunt for breaking out this bottle at his birthday tasting.

Aroma:Sour aroma, fruit, some sweetness.

Appearance:Murky yellow orange. Low head, fair lacing.

Taste:Huge sour bite right on the foretaste. Tons of lemon flavor. The aftertaste has some white grape skin sour flavors. Also, some sweet notes linger on pleasantly.

Mouthfeel:Light to medium body, with medium to heavy astringency on the throat.

Drinkability:Amazingly drinkable sour beer. Not as sour as some beers, it's really drinkable.

4.56/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Funky goodness, and the bottle version is certainly funkier than on tap. Eh, maybe too funky for me but this is a very unique and complex beer.

4.56/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Night Shift teku glass. 2013 vintage. Huge thanks to Tomme for sending this to me, I'm beyond honored.

Pours a deep golden-orange with a frothy, roughly one-inch off-white head. Decent head retention, no lacing to speak of.

In the nose, a massive dose of wet, yogurty lactobacillus funk dominates the initial whiff, as well as notes of white grapes, oak, dry yeast, crabapple, and a subtle hit of vinegar. Not getting the red wine barrels so much--there's definitely a vinous quality, but it doesn't remind me of any red I've ever had.

The taste is where Duck Duck Gooze really flexes its muscles. Yogurty funk, vinous white grape, lemon juice, dry bready yeast, white oak, crabapple, and tart Granny Smith apples. Again, a small hit of vinegar towards the back. Most excellent.

On the tongue, fairly dry and medium-bodied. Sprightly carbonation enlivens the palate but falls a bit flat towards the back. A lingering coat of yogurty lactic sourness clings to the back of the throat.

On the whole, what truly impressed me about DDG was its ability to present a bevy of delicious flavor profiles that managed to be at once distinct unto themselves as well as graceful partners to the other notes present in the beer. A fantastic beer, and one that I'm incredibly grateful to have gotten to try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (2009)

Thanks for this one, Jerz and ZX6Chris!

(Aged for 2 years)

Clear golden with lots of visible, active carbonation and a thin near-white head. Spots of lace are left down the glass.

A hugely aromatic sour consisting of bright, vibrant juicy lemons and a tart, biting, strong sour tartness. As the beer warms, more barnyard funk aromas present complementing the strong citrus (lemon) and sourness.

The flavor follows the aroma very similarly. The dominant flavor is of funky yeast and strong lemons, complemented by a high level of sourness throughout. Complete, and while aggressive, very drinkable.

Thin to medium bodied with high carbonation. Incredibly easy to drink. Light and airy.

An absolute joy. I wish I had this on unlimited supply at home (one can wish!).

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle cracked open at Hunahpu’s. A hazy shade of orange with a small white head. Sour fruits and woody nose. All kinds of things going on in here funk, lemon zest, tart citrus, and horse blanket flavors. It’s fantastic, I just can’t decide if I like it better than CC or not.

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Hazy, pale yellow in color without much head.

S: Smells as tart as I would have hoped. Lots of citrus, especially lemon, mild funk, and some yeast.

T: Definitely not overly sour, but still quite tart. Lots of lemon, apple, some other fruits are there too, perhaps grapes. Not all that much funk.

M: Very crisp, dry, great carbonation, and rather light on the tongue.

D: A delicious beer, and one of the first geuzes I've had the pleasure of tasting. I know that I could definitely do worse on "breaking in" to the style.

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%

I owe a big thanks to Jordan from Holiday Wine in San Diego. I walked in not knowing what I was in store for, the man hooked me up.

The appearance is light straw blonde. Really thick one finger head with dense white foam. The pour was beautiful, really tiny fine bubbles with a crisp carbonation. This was a hazy brew when it came out of the fridge and was still hazy till the last drop. There was a good deal of sediment in the bottle and the last glass had some friendly floaters. Leaves a medium lacing with beautiful alcoholic legs. When I popped the cork it flew across my kitchen, I was scared that it was going to be a gusher, but it just sat patiently in the bottle waiting to be consumed.

The smell on this brew is very pungent. There are also more than a dozen few smells that present themselves throughout the entire bottle. The first smell is Brett, this is starting to become one of my favorite smells. Smells like a bit of soured lemons and a bit of juicy sweet apple. The Brett smell I was referring to was a funky sweaty sock smell. I have never understood what 'horse blanket' was until this one. Has a Granny Smith apple sweetness in the beginning. When I popped this brew I stuck my nose right in the bottle and inhaled with all my strength, what I got was super acidic and burnt the nostrils. There is a bite to the nose that is acidic and abrasive. This beer for me was about salivating, I did not stop for a while, even after I finished the beer.

The taste is inspiring. The first taste was one of the best beer experiences I have ever had. Sours and Wild Ales are so amazing on the first taste because it catches your senses so off guard that you are taken back with the strength. When I was smelling it, my mouth was salivating to no end. The first sip was so tart that my tongues receptors exploded with different flavors and textures. This is a beautifully complex brew, so many sour and funky characteristics paired with fruit flavors, I am in awe. Let me try and explain. The tart bite at the beginning start the saliva, then there is a citrus and fruit explosion. Apples and lemon are the two big players in this. The Brett is tasted in funky acidity and sour lemon grass. The fumes this brew put off go throughout your entire nasal cavity when it is drank. There is a Chardonnay characteristic that is present, like an oak wine dryness that backs up all the flavors. Hits the back of the throat with acidity, the stomach acids are being abused by something with a higher acid content. The sweet lemon flavor is the strongest and my favorite characteristic in this one. It has lemon flavor, lemon acidity, and lemon tart. The apples bring a sweetness that is paired with the funky Brett in an amazing way. I now know what horse blanket is.

The mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated for this style. Not overly soda-like carbonated like Consecration, because this is a Geuze. There is a chalkiness that I believe comes from the oak and a tart punch that makes the tongue beg you for mercy. The sediment and Brett bugs also contribute to the chalk feel. The fine carbonation drills the tastes into your tongue. What I love the most about this mouthfeel is the acidity and funky tart. You really can feel the fumes coming off of this thing, my sinuses were filled with a lemon sting. Also, the sweetness takes your palate for a ride because it is being attacked on so many fronts. I would of given it a perfect mouthfeel but the chalky dryness put it back just a bit, because it mellowed the fruity juice explosion which was a favorite.

The drinkability is awesome. So mouthwatering and complex that you cannot stop lifting the glass to your mouth. I was so excited for this, and also a little skeptical. I tried the Black Label unfiltered Girardan and was impressed but not blown away. The Girardan was at the top of the Geuze list, so I was weary about the style all together. I have had only a few Geuzes all together, so the style is still a mystery to me. This one was enjoyable on all fronts and was a pleasure to drink. I want to thank Jordan at Holiday again for giving me the opportunity to try this delicious brew.

J

look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Aroma - Prominent notes of acetic/citric acid as well as some cherry, tropcial fruits, and Brett funkiness.

Appearance - Yellow/orange in color with a thin layer of white bubbles.

Flavor - Well balanced tartness with some funky barnyard yeast flavor. Some additional fruity ester flavors of melon and mango. Well balanced tart and fruity fllavors. Low malt presence of a buttery cracker.

Mouthfeel - Low bodied with a good deal of effervescence. Not overwhelmingly tart or astringent but well balanced.

Overall - The strength of this beer is in its balance and its ability to change from tart lambic to estery Belgian to dry saison with a simple swirl of the glass. Not showy or flashy, just simply well made.

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey