Duck Duck Gooze - The Lost Abbey

Wants: 3,172
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: illidurit on 07-13-2009

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.
Reviews: 254 | Hads: 1,490
3.28/5  rDev -26.9%

Had this about a year ago and it has changed a lot. Hazy urine color with lively carbonation. Turbid for the style it's trying to mimic. Aroma is acetone, highly lactic, eggy, sweaty goat fur. I didn't get much brett funk this one just smells sour. Taste has degraded. Eggy, lactic acidity, acetobacter (has a bigger presence). I'm getting a noticeable amount of vinegar that is hurting it's flavor and drinkability. Lemon tartness and high level of sourness is still there. The vanilla sweetness has disappeared or being overpowered by acidity. I felt this used to be a really good beer but seems like it has peaked. I'd love it if an American Wild would have a brett character you didn't have to search through tons of acidity to find. (737 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

Aged for at least a year.

Into a tulip, pours a soapy white head with lots of tingly bubbles snapping and crackling as I agitate. The body takes on a yellow-ish/golden characteristic that is quite illuminating.

Aromas of apricot, pineapple, and funk, albeit milder on the third trait. Intense, tropical, and very complex. That complexity also reveals a little bit of horseblanket, or perhaps wet duck funk, no?

Flavors of the aforementioned apricot, with a combined dryness and tartness that gives off a crisp, smooth bite that's quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel is thin, and lacks that sticky icky on the gums that most Bretty beers exhibit.

Overall, Duck Duck Gooze has some wonderful balance, and is not as intense as I am sure it was coming out of the gates a year ago. I could drink this for days, pairing it occasionally with some triple cream and perhaps apples and/or apricots. (888 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -12.2%

Enjoyed in a snifter poured from a bottled shared by the great tlay10. Tyler, you are the man.

Looks: like molten gold. So hazy my fingers on the other side of the glass are mere fuzzy shadows. The pour results in no head; just the lightest mention of off-white fizz along the sides.

Smells: wooden. Sweeter than most sours that cross my path. Aromas of pronounce oak, alcohol, grapefruit and honey play about my nose, along with floral lilac and a unique earthy, cave musk quality.

Tastes: Flavors of lemon juice, tart grapefruit, apricot followed by a blast of green oak. As the nose suggested, this beer tends toward the sweeter side of sours. A hard-to-place earthy yeast flavor akin to truffles emerges as the beer warms. The sourness is crisp and doesn't linger about much after the swallow, though a candy sweetness reminding of burnt sugar definitely does.

Feels: lightly fizzy, with a medium-light body. A slight alcohol warmth travels down the throat.

Drinks: thanks to an epic beer tasting lineup, I was able to enjoy Duck Duck Gooze directly after Isabelle Proximus. In comparing the two, I'd call this the more "incomplete" beer. It had a more unique flavor bill, but seemed slightly less well-mingled. Another year or two in the cellar may have improved it a bit. (1,287 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -18.3%

Re-review off a bottle that is about a year old at this point.

A: A vigorous pour produces a clear coppery-orange body with substantial off-white head.

S: More citrusy and tart than expected. Lemon up front, but a surprisingly tropical fruit bouquet of pineapple and lychee. Leather, tobacco, salt, and oak. An altogether unique smell, particularly in the salt, which is unmistakable and not something I smell in many other beers.

T: Initially a balance of sweet and tart, reminding me of a lightly sour lemon candy with hints of pineapple, but it quickly gives in to the tart / sour side and becomes puckering (lactic variety). Small brett funk that produces a melange of leather and tobacco. The finish sees a development of tannins and some slight vinegar. This beer hasn't developed the funk I was hoping it would have after a year of aging; nor has it dried out like I hoped. Still quite good, but sweet for a sour beer. Reminds me of a Sweet Tart effect.

M: Light-bodied, moderate-high carbonation. Could stand to finish drier. The flavor is robust throughout and it captivates the senses while consuming.

D: It's solid, but not worth giving up the farm for it. (1,177 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Been looking forward to this one for quite some time. The first beer sampled at our sour tasting. Poured into a large tasting glass approximately a 6oz pour.

A- Pours hazy golden yellow in color. A nice, slightly off white head that recedes ever so slightly. Some light lacing is left on my glass.

A- Wow really nice! Sour apple all the way. A nice funky twist with some lemon twist. A light hint of Chardonnay barrels. This is just really, really, nice.

T- I love it! Tart granny smith apples. A bit of oak, white grapes, and chardonnay. The bit of citrus in the nose is also present in the taste, but not as strong. Sour and funky.

M- lighter side of medium in body. Carbonation is high. Finishes dry and tart.

D- I could have killed the bottle with great ease. I was sad to see the bottom of my glass. I will without a doubt, be seeking out another bottle. It was my 2nd favorite sour of the night, only Beatification out shined this and that is really splitting hairs. (978 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +0.7%

Date: 07/31/2010
Vintage: 2009
Type: 750ml. Bottle
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Tatsed at The Epic Sweet & Sour Tasting I w/ wunderbeer(Ron), ShadesofGray(Ryan), and big Dan.
Super event!

Poured a golden straw in color w/ a 1 finger white head that left a medium amount of lacing on the glass. The nose was of acidic funk, vinegar, and lemon zest. The taste was of acidic funk, mild tartness, a touch of vinegar, and lemon zest. Mouthfeel was thin and clean. The drinkability was ridiculous. Please send me more bottles!

Overall, a real treat and fantastic beer! (564 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

I shared a bottle of this with drabmuh and our wives last Sunday.

The label art is fantastic and hilarious. The beer appears mostly clear, with just a slight haze. The color is golden yellow, with a small head and just a touch of lacing.

The aroma is sour and funky, but not overly so. Straw and hay scents with a slight barn or farmyard presence. Very enticing.

The beer is so easy to drink. I am very impressed. It tastes incredibly smooth and clean, and all of the complexities are balanced very well. Masterfully done. As we delved deeper into the bottle, the beer gets slightly more sour and funky. Hooray dregs. The finish is tart and funky with a hint of vinegar, but no burning acidity.

An awesome beer and well worth tracking down. (745 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Bottle shared by the other Matt last night at his place. This was one of my short list beers for a long time. Never successfully traded for it but somehow was still lucky enough to split it with Matt. Thanks, I'll get you back soon.

Beer served in a tulip, of sorts. Beer is yellow and slightly hazy. Forms a thin broken white head of tiny bubbles that slowly pulls to the edge of the glass but does not leave lacing on the sides. Carbonation is moderate to low and made up of small and medium bubbles that slowly expand as they approach the top of the beer. Looks good. The dregs of the bottle darken the beer significantly and make the beer much cloudier. Not shocking there. The dregs do not noticably affect the aroma, mouthfeel, or flavor of the beer.

Yep, its a sour alright. Aroma is a straight 5 in my opinion. Its really strong. The first whiff I took was a little solventy. Reminded me of isopropanol and toluene. I was crest fallen but kept smelling. The solvency gave way to a strong oakiness, bitterness and lactic / acetic mixture of acids. Mild citric bite to the end. Very pungent, very strong. Very complex.

The lead off flavor is a strong lactic and acidic sourness. No sweetness at all. I was expecting some funk to come along but instead there is almost a collapse of the palate close to the back. No tartness in the corners of the mouth you might expect with other, usually fruit, flavored lambics. The body of the beer is pretty thin, minimal carbonation in the mouth but its there. If you hold the beer there for a moment it begins to burn around the gums and behind the lips. The beer is very sour and minimally bitter. Finishes cleanly, probably due to the lack of back palate tart and funk. A great beer overall and a great sour. Thanks again Matt. (1,778 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +0.7%

I have been waiting for quite some time to crack this bottle, and last night at our tasting it finally came out. 750 ml bottle, poured into a tasting glass.

A: Hazy straw yellow color. The pour dropped an impressive, fizzy head that left some nice lace.

A: Notes of sour and tart green apples, chardonay, lemon, grass, and light bread. Not overly funky in the nose, but you can tell this one will be acidic. Light notes of brett.

T: More green apples, lemon rind, grass, white wine, and of course the sour funk. It finishes rather dry and, as expected, very tart.

M: Light to medium body, heavy carbonation. Tingely and somewhat sharp.

D and overall impression: Drinkability with many sours is a little lower for me, but with this one, I would not have a problem finishing the bottle. Overall, this was my favorite of a night in which 8 of the top 10 sours were consumed. I only wish I had another bottle. Fantastic! Skal. (927 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +1.8%

Draft at Monk's during Philly Beer Week 2010.

Beautiful golden with fluffy cream colored head and persistent lacing. Bubbles emanating from the bottom of the glass throughout the drink.

Aroma was butter and lemon, along with some vanilla and hints of grapefruit and grass.

Great tart lemon up front and some nice vanilla earthy funk on the finish.

Slight acidity and great carbonation, relatively light body.

Overall, another fantastic and drinkable sour from Tomme.. (472 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

Split a 750 three ways in tulips. Part two of a night of pretty solid sour beers. Thanks to brian for sharing this.

Ar: Floral, strawberry, berries, raspberry, mild alcohol, fruity funk, mild acid, mild brett funk, beautiful floral character

Ap: clear gold, white head, good retention, light lace

T: great fruit, berries - strawberry and raspberry, cherry, ends with clean warm acid and citric notes,mild barn, mostly fruity in balance, very strong fruit, light alcohol, slightly sweet, tropical fruit, brett bitterness, funk increases with warmth, perfumy floral, excellent brett end, pineapple, very fruity throughout with acid end

M: High carbonation, smooth, medium/light mouthfeel, warming cleaning acid end

O: less funky but more fruity than deviation (part one of the sours), an excellent beer, good balance, fruit heavy but great mild funk, very easy to drink (872 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours a hazy golden straw color with active white prickly and sprity head, minimal lacing. Scent is musty and sour, finally mellowing into a slight citrus and biscut note, mild vanilla and oak. First sip is tart, funky and acidic but soon rushed into a very fruity blend... mango, apprico, lemon, pineapple... lots of stuff going on there. Slight biscuty sweetness and hints of the vanilla and oak also present. Medium bodied, active carbonation, dry. A pleasure to sip and could see this improving over a long length of time. (526 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +2.9%

Served On-Tap at Monk's Cafe for Philly Beer Week. I love this city! Thanks Tomme and Tom.

Coming at me with a hazy yellowish blond look with hints of orange poking around in there. Looks a bit lighter than medium in build and there is no head at all from the tap, no lacing. Smells include big musk of barn with horse and hay. A big basket of lemons and assorted fruits. Oak, wood and some musty aroma with a dousing of brett, maybe lacto? Smells like it's going to be sour. And it is, a nice sour gueuze. I had this out of the bottle young and can tell it's only growing in funk. Taste is tart lemon drops with apricot and small pineapple blast. Warming brings a bit of apple to the stage. In the middle a earthy taste with oak tannins but not any vanilla which is ok by me. The sourness is pleasant and a bit acidic, but not quite there yet. There is actually a nice faint sweetness going along with the sour in that order. Puckering, yes, overly puckering, no. Quite balanced. Medium bodied and nicely carbed. Crisp and semi dry I 'll take another please. Id like to see where this goes in a year or two but the chances of getting another bottle are slim. Another winner. (1,176 characters)

A: golden straw color absolutely gorgeous, the color almost matches the label. Slightly hazy and milky.

S: barnyard funk with sour earthiness. sharp and scrumptious.

T: sour, funky, and complex. Its dry but very sour but that sourness if balanced out by the funky barnyard bretty taste.

M: very smooth and rich. sharp and biting at the same time. as with every other aspect of the beer a great balance.

D: way to easy to drink for being a sharp long aged sour. the complexity and balance allows it to be very easy to drink.

This is probably one of my favorite sours ever. Incredibly easy to drink and yet still incredibly sour and complex. An absolute pleasure to drink and makes me want to find a way to get a case of DDG. (731 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +3.3%

Consumed at the lost abbey on 2/27/10 on the day of the carnavelle release party.

A: poured a murky golden yellow with a thin white head and a little sticky lacing on the glass.

S: huge citric lemon aroma with hints of oaky barrel funk, viinegar, and apples as well.

T: beautiful puckering sour lemon flavor that is pretty intense with oaky apple notes that make the beer quite acidic.

D: I love sour beers and this one is definitely one of my favorites that has a great sour punch and great flavor to back it up. I really hope I can get more of this sour elixer. (567 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

Bought this for myself as a present for finishing 2L. Been eyeing this one at the Goat for awhile.

Appearance- First pour is a beautiful clear golden color. Half inch of sparkling white head disappears in a moment. Second pour is much cloudier. I guess there was a lot of sediment left in there.

Smell- Some funkiness. A real dank sweat sock quality. Grapes and white wine. Apple, like barrel of fermenting, rotting apples. Vinous. Downright pungent towards the bottom of the second pour.

Taste- Wow. Delicious. Sour and more sour. Vinous. Just a ton of vinegar. As it warms it literally crawls up the tongue. Seriously, it's like light apple cider vinegar. Wow. Just a hint of grain in the finish. It's delicious, in case I wasn't clear. It's got a really nice young white wine quality. Dries out the mouth, just saliva-inducing.

Mouth- I want this to have a little more bubbly. It's fine for the style, but I'd like a touch more carbonation, especially since it's so dry. The acid tingles nicely.

Drinkability- Want more. More. As it warms, and as the dryness catches up, I also want a giant glass of water. Somewhat glad I split the bottle, somewhat wanted it all for myself.

A really delicious beer. I'm as harsh as anyone on LA, but this beer is fantastic. Wish I had more of it. (1,292 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

A - Hazy yellow with little to no head. Huge chunky yeast at the bottom of the bottle; made sure to avoid that in the pour.

S - Brett funk, some sour apples / lemon. Musty aroma comes out more as it warms up.

T - Lemon/lime sugary sweetness/sourness dominate the palate. This is complemented by a complex woody/oak backbone.

M - Moderate carbonation, huge mouth watering astringency. Leaves the mouthwatering well after the beer is gone.

D - Like most sours, this one is a very difficult beer to consider "sessionable." I love sours, but my palate always feels destroyed after finishing a bottle. Still, I cannot put this one down. (635 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

A= been waitin for a good time to open this one. This one pours a nice slightly hazy amberish yellow color with a very thin head on it that falls to a thin ring around the side of the glass leacing little to no lacing.

S= The smell is sour apples, lemons, vinegar, funky cheesy brett, a little oak. Really a lot of smell going on here. You could easily pick out a few more odors coming out. The smells meld together in a way I can only describe as interesting.

T= The taste of this one is simply divine! Wow not expecting so much greatness from the odor. There is a dominate sour lemon taste to it that really only creeps across your tongue. There is a lot of oak coming through for a sour. Usually a sour beer is only grazed by the oak taste this has a lot of oak deep inside of it. All the flavors seem like they just touch your tongue for a moment so you really have to concentrate to pick them out. There is a lot of green apple taste to it as well as some really really sour lemons or limes. The taste isn't longest lasting taste I've ever had which I find interesting due to the intensity of the flavor.

M= Low carbonation and super dry finish.

D= This beer is amazing. I'm glad I had the chance to try it and I hope I will be able to get my hands on it again in the future. A superb drink that I was able to share with my girlfriend after we have both worked looong hour for many days making the setting perfect for a nice sipper to be savored. This beer is something that keeps you coming back for more and more sips. Great job Lost Abbey I look forward to more releases. (1,583 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

Giant thanks to auroracrisis for sending me this way back when. Finally got a chance to open it with the right people.

Pours a clear golden color with a bubbly white head. As soon as the yeast gets kicked up, the pours become hazy.

Sour without being vinegary, acidic and fruity. Light funk...just amazing...

The taste is mindblowing. Again, it's sour without being vinegary, fruity and citric, very acidic and mouthpuckering. Light funk. Lemons and tart green apples.

Mouthfeel is light with a sharp acidity. Fine carbonation. Excellent all the way around. Drinkability is perfect.

This might be better than Isabelle, but I'd have to do a side by side to be sure. I really can't think of anything to make this better, but I can't rate it perfect so I suppose it could look a little better (better head, more lacing, etc). This might be the closest to perfect that I ever have in a beer.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry and good carb.

Overall an amazing beer. Can't wait till it comes out again. (996 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +10%

Seriously one of the best beers ever. Glad I got a bottle.

Pours a golden color with a nice thin head. Dissapated to a ring. Nice lacing.

Aroma is amazing. Very oaky and funky. Little bit of malt.

Taste is perfect. Nice oak and sour balance. Not too sour but nice. Perfect flavor.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry and good carb.

Overall an amazing beer. Can't wait till it comes out again. (388 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

750mL bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a surprisingly small bubbly white head that dissipates quickly to a small collar fed by stray bubbles floating up from the bottom.

The aroma starts with a light lemony tartness but that is overshadowed by the funk from the brett, which manifests itself in the nose as wet hay and old leather. There is also some tart green apples and apricots coming out as it warms which tones down the funk.

The taste just completely puckers my mouth on the first sip, massive fruity tartness coupled with barnyard funk. There are some candied pears and bread and dough in the background but the finish brings back the tartness and some dry oaky tannins.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and moderately carbonated with an overall sour tartness from start to finish.

This is another excellent sour from LA and one that surely stacks up against some of the best out there, American or Belgian. Super drinkable, plenty of fruit but with a tag-team combo of funk and lactic/acetic sourness that really comes together well. (1,081 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

From a 750 mL at the brewery. Plenty of "ooohs" and "aaaahs" as we took it back to our table.

A: Beautiful, faintly hazy, luminescent gold color. Thin film of sudsy white head, which is stirred up nicely by a swirl.

S: Lightly funky, but tart citrus, grain, and lactic notes dominate. Appetizing.

T: Balanced citrus, tart apple, and honeyed peach flavors. Just a touch of barnyardy notes... certainly much less than in some European examples I've had. This will appeal to more palates than Oude Geueze, for example; it is very, very easy to like. One person said it was like champagne (?).

M: Cuts well, but very balanced and smooth-textured.

D: Tops. I could drink this ALL FREAKIN' DAY.

So glad I got to try this. Absolutely wonderful. (744 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +8.5%

Thanks to GRG1313 for this one, poured into a snifter, shared with TempsPerdu

A-Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a quickly dissipating head.

S-Huge sour aroma with a fair dose of funk. Some lemons, peaches, maybe apricots. The acidic sourness really just dominates (in a good way.) Leaves solid lacing.

T-Really nice flavor on this one. Not as sour as it smells, but definitely still a big sour kick. Really complex and interesting sour. Slightly sweet peach flavor (remarkably similar to Flaming Fury even though there are no peaches in this one.) There is a lot going on underneath the sour.

MF-Slightly under-carbonated for my liking and a little syrupy in the back of the throat, but nothing detrimental.

D-Definitely my favorite style of gueuze, what I think of as a "clean sour" (other beers on this level that fit in this made up character of mine: Isabelle Proximus, Flaming Fury, etc.) (908 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

Received this brew from 0110x011 when it was released. I've been saving this for some reason and review #700 seems like a good enough reason. Drank from my The Lost Abbey goblet.

Review #700

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear yellow with tinges of orange with a nice half finger fizzy white head. No cap remains but a thin collar hangs the entire beer along with a crystal clear glass that contains zero lacing.
Smell- Perhaps one of the fruitiest Wild Ales I've smelled that doesn't actually contain fruit. Whiffs of pineapple and kiwi come to mind upon my initial inhale. It's nicely tart smelling with plenty of green apple and apple cider vinegar. My mouth is salivating already at the sour goodness that's about to hit it. A bit of oak is easily noticeable as is a touch of vanilla amongst everything. Not necessarily the dankest sour I've smelled but there is a bit of horsey aspect.
Taste- Starts with a nice sour bite that is definitely bracing and nice. Again, really fruity at times with a peach and green apple thing that's really nice. Once my mouth acclimates is when I really start to love this stuff. The vinegar aspect is strong and something about it reminds me of some sort of cherry thing. Obviously very acidic and even a light malty toast comes into play. The oak is strong in this one as is the vanillin. Nothing funky in the brew to me at all. It's even ever so slightly sweet toward the finish but the sour lingers on and on.
Mouthfeel- Nice hefty body, especially for the style. The carbonation is fairly aggressive and spot on and a nice quenching finish is bomb.com.
Drinkability- I knew this was going to be good. It's been a fairly obvious consensus on BA for quite some time and I wasn't let down in the least. Supremely drinkable and mega enjoyable, wish I had another bottle to lay down for awhile. Thanks much Matt! (1,849 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to Dyan for sharing this one. This one is number 25 in the tasting. Number 16 of day 2. Tried as part of a side-by-side with Isabelle Proximus.

Lightly colored, like a golden hazy straw color. This is missing some of the bubbles and champagne-like nucleation that I really enjoy in my wilds.

The nose is packed with yeasty sourness and funk. Lots of Belgian cheese and a lemony citric acid aroma. A white pepper spice is in there as well, backed nicely by a touch of cloves that serve to augment rather than steal the spotlight from the pepper. The palate brings long a yeasty sourness and funk as opposed to the bacterial sourness of a true geuze. Lemongrass, hay, citric acid, and that cheesy funk pack the flavor. There is a fleeting sweetness that seems to threaten at reigning in the sourness, but then thinks better of it.

Very acidic and mouth puckering, the sourness makes my tongue recoil initially. Very light and enjoyable with that nice spritzy feel that wilds provide so readily. I will need to cleanse my palate with some Pecorino Toscano before moving on. (1,080 characters)

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey