Duck Duck Gooze - The Lost Abbey

Wants: 3,233
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: illidurit on 07-13-2009

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.
Reviews: 256 | Hads: 1,527
4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Got this bottle from GREGER. Thanks again for this trade. Poured from 22oz bottle.

A- Pours a hazy deep golden straw color. Nice one finger white head that stays for a short while. Light lacing the entire time with this beer.

S- This is a interesting beer to say the least. It's funky but not overly so. Nice winelike vinegar notes come and gone in the nose with this that battle with a citrusy (lemon) overtone the entire nose. There is a light oak smell in this that mingles well with a musty presence. Not overly funky but still good nevertheless.

T- This is where the beer really shines I think. The acidic quality to this is what I think when I try sours. Very nice citrus upfront to this with lemons coming to mind right off the bat. There is a very wine vinegar like undertone in the back end that makes me pucker. Nice oak flavor in the middle of this as well. Everything compliments each other well in this.

M- Lighter mouthfeel. Carbonation is good with the style. Lost Abbey always has good carbonation with everything I have had from them. Citrus tones and vinegar notes stay on the palate and in the aftertaste. Drying finish with this beer.

D- Very nice drinkability to this one. I was very impressed with this beer. Strike another one up for Lost Abbey. If you get a chance to try this I would not pass it up!

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Big nice off-white head. Beer itself is a sun-golden-yellow with a bit of haze.

Smell: Lots of lemon and vinegar, reminds me of New Belgium's Bottleworks X. Also tropical fruit like pineapple and star fruit, along with some musty funk and leather, more brett than typical for lost abbey.

Taste: More sour than usual for Lost Abbey. Lemon, vinegar, tropical fruits (pineapple, etc), bret, funk, wee bit of leather, and french oak. Perhaps some honey. A bit lacking in complexity as compared to Isabelle Proximus, and the score for taste reflects this.

Mouthfeel: Was glad to find that this one is carbonated. Very dry.

Drinkability: Incredibly high, very sour and flavorful, but still drinkable.

NB: I enjoyed this one, highly drinkable and tasty. But it simply is not as good as cable car, isabelle proximus, or any of the Veritas line.

4.67/5  rDev +3.3%

Sampled at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach 08/24/09.

A - Dark straw colored pour with a thin head. No lacing on glass.

S - Funky! Tart and cut grass. Was impressed by the complexity of the nose on this.

T - Amazing. Sharp fruit and tartness, with a good funk profile.

M - Carbonated and crisp. The tartness did make for a "shocked palate" feeling but I found that dissipated pretty quickly.

D - I could have sat there and drank it all night. Honestly. Fantastic sessionable beer.

What can be said really. A really complex gueze-style beer. I don't know how they pulled it off but I'd have been shocked if you told me this wasn't a Cantillon or similar beverage, if I didn't know better.

Reviewed on 11/29/2009. Bottle thanks to Smokepot (thanks Joe!). Rating #1500!! Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a small white head. Aroma is quite sour-- some barnyard, some sour candies. Flavor of much of the same -- lots of tart candies and mild barnyard. Sour but not acidic. Very pleasant and easy to drink for a sour ale. Excellent!

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into a Rochefort glass.

The beer is honey gold with a touch of orange. The head is white rising a finger and lasting only briefing with ligh lacing.

The aroma is pretty light for a wild ale with mostly a light sour funk to it. Its on its way to being a crazy strong horse blanket but jusn't get you there. Some might like the lighter aroma as it won't turn them off, but I was looking for a tad bit more pugency. At the end there is some light wood.

For the reasons I didn't like the aroma a ton, I love the taste. It is sour enough to give me the pucker and sensations that I love about wild ale but its just light enough to make it very drinkable. The biggest complaint is that the flavor isn't complex just sour through and through.

Mouthfeel is heavy and great drinkability.

Overall this is an excellent ale and great beer overall. If you love sours this is one you have to search out.

4.67/5  rDev +3.3%

I love this beer. Poured from the bottle into a Delirium Tremens tulip glass.

Poured a clear pale golden yellow. Odd - I've had this beer before, and it's always been very cloudy. This pour is very clear. Weird. No matter. A small white head emerges and quickly dissipates to a thin collar. Quite nice. (Note: Subsequent pours were cloudy in appearance, which I like a bit more for some reason).

The beer smells of lemons, vinegar, a dollop of honey, oak, and big blast of barnyard funk. Absolutely fantastic.

The taste largely follows the nose. A big sour blast of juicy lemon citrus, with a hint of orange and perhaps ruby red grapefruit zest mixed in. The oak is there, but very subtle. There's a touch of sweetness in the mid-palate, but that is enveloped quickly by a strong (though not overbearing) sour finish. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel is great. Active carbonation, light-bodied, with a sharp, dry finish. Just what I wanted tonight.

This beer, once opened, never lasts long. I can gulp this down with reckless abandon - but I don't. I enjoy the bottle over the course of an hour or more, taking my time, and trying my best to ignore the chug demon that sits on my left shoulder.

This is a fantastic beer, and IMHO the best sour that Lost Abbey has done. Caveat: I have not yet had Yellow Bus. In due time...

Highly recommended.

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance: Quite murky, rich golden yellow body with 2 fingers of white head that slowly dissipates to a thin but everlasting white lace. Appealing and appropriate appreance.

Aroma: Impressive. This contains just enough of the funky sourness that I am looking for to take it seriously but plenty else is going on too. A tart lemon rind acid hits the front of the nose and then gives way for musty basement aromas, mold, damp leather, and quintessential barnyard character. Tropical and citric fruit notes round everything out and the finish contains hints of gasoline.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied and relatively dry. An initial blast of sourness makes way for steady, tart acidity. Not quite as sour as I would like but close. Lactic qualities meld with oak tannins and lemon. A touch of green apple enters into play as does a hint of citrus. By and large this isn't an explosion of flavor but that isn't what I was looking for. This is a well crafted, sour beer that makes for pleasant, easy drinking. Very comparable to several of the more mellow and subdued Belgian originals. Well done. Drinkability is through the roof.

4.32/5  rDev -4.4%

From a bottle into a snifter @ the Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens on 11/9/09 during the "Tomme Arthur Experience" event.

Pours a hazy golden tangarine color, with a thin filmy covering of brite-white head. This stays rich looking on the edges, coating the sides of the glass with white froth. The aroma is tart citrus right off the bat, probably being most akin to the smell of grapefruit juice, along with some mustiness and woody oak character. Going deeper reveals some cider-like vinegar notes and more pronounced vanilla and char. I like the fact that the more pleasant fruity tartness sits on top, while the more meat & potatoes character of the souring and tannic presence sit underneath with a much slicker feel. Good stuff here.

The taste is a bit more acidic and vinegar feeling at first, but those same brash citric flavors of lemon, peach, and grapefruit just about keep even pace. Esters and funk permeate the whole profile, along with notes of tannic oak and vanilla. These blend in with some sweeter accents of sugar and honey, which thankfully are constant throughout the taste but not constantly overridden by the tartness, sourness, and funk. Wow, oak and vinegar really just sticks to the roof of the mouth in the finish and it is a bit hard to shake. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a mild softness that sits on top of the tongue but then gives way to a lower carbonated and slick feel that falls right in line with the barrel character and ABV of this. Once I got past the initial shock of the flavors, my palate adapted pretty readily to this, making for a most favorable experience.

This was, all in all, pretty intense at times for me but in the end, I couldn't ignore the beautiful balance between the tartness, sourness, funk, sweetness, and barrel flavors. Just a fantastic Wild Ale blend here. A beer to be proud of for sure.

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

I owe a big thanks to Jordan from Holiday Wine in San Diego. I walked in not knowing what I was in store for, the man hooked me up.

The appearance is light straw blonde. Really thick one finger head with dense white foam. The pour was beautiful, really tiny fine bubbles with a crisp carbonation. This was a hazy brew when it came out of the fridge and was still hazy till the last drop. There was a good deal of sediment in the bottle and the last glass had some friendly floaters. Leaves a medium lacing with beautiful alcoholic legs. When I popped the cork it flew across my kitchen, I was scared that it was going to be a gusher, but it just sat patiently in the bottle waiting to be consumed.

The smell on this brew is very pungent. There are also more than a dozen few smells that present themselves throughout the entire bottle. The first smell is Brett, this is starting to become one of my favorite smells. Smells like a bit of soured lemons and a bit of juicy sweet apple. The Brett smell I was referring to was a funky sweaty sock smell. I have never understood what 'horse blanket' was until this one. Has a Granny Smith apple sweetness in the beginning. When I popped this brew I stuck my nose right in the bottle and inhaled with all my strength, what I got was super acidic and burnt the nostrils. There is a bite to the nose that is acidic and abrasive. This beer for me was about salivating, I did not stop for a while, even after I finished the beer.

The taste is inspiring. The first taste was one of the best beer experiences I have ever had. Sours and Wild Ales are so amazing on the first taste because it catches your senses so off guard that you are taken back with the strength. When I was smelling it, my mouth was salivating to no end. The first sip was so tart that my tongues receptors exploded with different flavors and textures. This is a beautifully complex brew, so many sour and funky characteristics paired with fruit flavors, I am in awe. Let me try and explain. The tart bite at the beginning start the saliva, then there is a citrus and fruit explosion. Apples and lemon are the two big players in this. The Brett is tasted in funky acidity and sour lemon grass. The fumes this brew put off go throughout your entire nasal cavity when it is drank. There is a Chardonnay characteristic that is present, like an oak wine dryness that backs up all the flavors. Hits the back of the throat with acidity, the stomach acids are being abused by something with a higher acid content. The sweet lemon flavor is the strongest and my favorite characteristic in this one. It has lemon flavor, lemon acidity, and lemon tart. The apples bring a sweetness that is paired with the funky Brett in an amazing way. I now know what horse blanket is.

The mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated for this style. Not overly soda-like carbonated like Consecration, because this is a Geuze. There is a chalkiness that I believe comes from the oak and a tart punch that makes the tongue beg you for mercy. The sediment and Brett bugs also contribute to the chalk feel. The fine carbonation drills the tastes into your tongue. What I love the most about this mouthfeel is the acidity and funky tart. You really can feel the fumes coming off of this thing, my sinuses were filled with a lemon sting. Also, the sweetness takes your palate for a ride because it is being attacked on so many fronts. I would of given it a perfect mouthfeel but the chalky dryness put it back just a bit, because it mellowed the fruity juice explosion which was a favorite.

The drinkability is awesome. So mouthwatering and complex that you cannot stop lifting the glass to your mouth. I was so excited for this, and also a little skeptical. I tried the Black Label unfiltered Girardan and was impressed but not blown away. The Girardan was at the top of the Geuze list, so I was weary about the style all together. I have had only a few Geuzes all together, so the style is still a mystery to me. This one was enjoyable on all fronts and was a pleasure to drink. I want to thank Jordan at Holiday again for giving me the opportunity to try this delicious brew.

4.7/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a golden yellow color, with a thin white head. The head fades quickly, leaving a slight lace.

This beer has a nice sour fruit aroma. I detect some lemon, and a little orange. It smells sour, to say the least. I can also detect some oaky aroma. A slight earthy funk aroma is also present. Also, just a slight vineger scent.

This beer tastes just as it smells. Some sour, tart fruit. A little oak and some funk mix in as well. As with the aroma, I can taste a slight vineger flavor.

This beer leaves a tart lemon aftertaste. It is highly carbonated, as I would expect form the style.

This beer would make a great session beer. It isnt too high in alcohol, and the flavor is great. It may become cloying at some point since it is so tart.

Overall: I have been waiting to open up this beer for a few months now, and I couldnt think of any better time than Thanksgiving. I now have one more thing to be thankful for.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to Matt for supplying. Sweet pick-up from So Cal.

A - Pours a hazy golden color with 1 finger of head. It dissipates moderately fast and leaves little lacing. The carbonation is low.

S - Brett and lacto at first followed by subtler characters of honey and maybe a bit of caramel. There is a hint of oak as well.

T - Brett and lacto are the most prevalent flavors. As the beer warms up there are more fruity esters, but also perhaps this beer was aged in a white wine barrel as well. Definitely oak and caramel and honey compose the background. Hops are minimal, but just enough to leave some residual bittering flavor.

M - Moderate bodied and malt dominated, with funk and sourness. Also, a residual amount of sweetness present from the esters and oak aging.

D - Exceptional. I could really sit and session with this sour. The sourness is not too much (cuvee rene) as the white wine barrel aging adds residual sweetness. Definitely a top 100 beer.

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Review #250.

Hazy lemony yellow pour. Just a swirl of foam, with some bubbles around the edges.

Sour, oaky, funky aroma. Really nice. I'm smelling some tart lemon, and maybe even some green apple.

Flavor follows. Big sour character, but it's not too much. It's delicious, but I will say that it's no Ithaca Brute. The sweetness, acidity, and barrel qualities meld excellently.

Light body, carbonation level is right on the money. Make your own Lost Abbey jokes here. Ridiculously easy drinker for a sour.

4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

Big thanks to mikedashg for sending me a bottle. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a hazy, apricot color. Almost has a glowing aura surrounding it. There was half fingers width of white head, but it dissipated instantaneously.

S- Pretty spectacular. Has a vinegar like characteristic. Wet horse blanket and hay are noticeable. Some leather, oranges and lemon in there as well. Smelled like a barnyard on a citrus farm.

T- The initial sip reminds me of RR's Temptation. A very tart, white grape flavor explodes on the palate. Immediately, an oak flavor starts to kick in. Then it gets a little interesting...the back end takes on a citrus, lemon tartness that has a slightly sweet, honey like quality to it. Can't exactly put my finger on it, just not what I expected. Almost had a flanderesque type finish.

M- Light to medium bodied. Could have used a little more carbonation.

D- Given the lack of sourness in this beer, it's pretty smooth and easy to drink.

Overall, not what I was expecting. The initial sip was pretty tart and I was expecting for that to continue, maybe even intensify. However, that didn't happen and the finish to the beer was a little too weird for me with the subtle sweetness I was picking up. It's a well made beer, but as a person that craves sours every now and then, this definitely doesn't satisfy my fix. For a $30 price tag, I'd much rather stick to Cantillons, which are cheaper and better IMO.

4.1/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured into a RR Sour glass. Crystal clear golden with a perky little white head. Very delicate with a few fizzy bubbles, but other wise fluffy.

Vinegar whiffs on the aroma, leather saddle, peed on horse hay.

Fruity tartness up front, grapefruit and white grapes. Vinegar sourness to go along with the tart. Not overwhelming in the least. Nice oak funk riding through the middle. Fragrant sour in the back, yet right in line with the flavor spectrum. Amoeba lacing up high on the glass, half way down. Somewhat dry mouthfeel, tart, nice.

DDG leans more toward the vinegar compenent of an AWA.

4.1/5  rDev -9.3%

Sampled at the FoBAB 2009. The pour is a bright and clean golden color with a big billowing white head. Both the nose an flavor feature lots of cheesy and tart character and light oak character all throughout this . Yummy stuff that is certainly worth being sought after.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle shared by Overlord. Thanks Mike. I've had this on tap a couple times but have yet to open a bottle of my own. Consumed on a nice day in Carlsbad on 11/03/2009 and poured into a snifter. The beer appears cloudy tangerine orange with a two finger white head and great retention.

The nose is musty barnyard, cheese, and wet leather accompanied by orange and lemon. There's moderate acidity in the aroma, as well as notes of oak. Wow. The combination of citrus and funk is outstanding. There's moderate lactic character.

The taste is acidic tart lemon and orange with a moderate lactic sourness. Brett provides mustiness, moderate funk, and a decided cheese quality to the beer. The tart citrus is delicious. Oak is evident. I enjoyed this bottle immensely more than I enjoyed my tap sample. The finish is acidic citrus with a lingering tartness and lactic sourness. This stuff is killer, and so damn drinkable. I'd venture to say this is one of my favorite American Wild Ales and a marvel of blending. Highly recommended. This beer deserves the Gold Medal it won at GABF 2009.

4.87/5  rDev +7.7%

Corked and caged bottle obtained in a trade with dagspaceyo, thanks Daniel! I've been waiting for a special occasion to pop it open, but today just felt right. Just returned from NYC, watching the second Packers/Vikings game of the 2009 season at home and waiting for some beer stew to be ready (cooked with 2yr old Bell's Third Coast Old Ale).

DDG is hazy golden colored, very translucent but no floaties (at least in the first pour), with about 1 finger of bright white foam. Some rivulets of lace on the glass.

The aroma is perfect, tart citrus that smells like it came from Brussels. This has all of the best flavors of a wild ale, horseblanket, old leather, and dank basement. It doesn't sound good but it's exactly what I wanted in this beer. The smell of lemons and pineapples brightens it up a bit, this has definite promise.

On the first taste I'm instantly in Brugges, drinking lambics and gueuze in the main square. This is tart and fruity, absolutely perfect. Abrasive and tasty, strong influence from brettanomyces, this is the SHIT. The label states that this is ale aged in oak barrels, but as so often happens with Cantillon and other sour beers from Belgium I have a hard time discerning wood flavors through the bracing sour presence of the beer.

This is about as drinkable as any wild ale can be, the complexity of the flavor keeps me returning to the glass. At only 7% ABV I'd pop another bottle if I had it. Absolutely recommended, I'm completely thankful for the chance to try it.

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

A - Pours dark straw, somewhat murky. Nice near white head, some persistent cling lace. Head reduces fast to ring.

S - Barny, funky, sour. Malt core underneath. My kid says sour skittles.

T - Sour crisp, lemony. Hits the back of the tongue on the sides. Still some malt core remains centered.

M - Light to medium bodied, plenty of carb, good coating. Finish is not overly balanced - still pretty twangy at the end.

D - My kid would love it, but he loves sour green apple bubble gum. Ok, so do I....

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

On tap at BBF. Had to get me a few of these.

Pours a lightly hazed yellowish golden, thin white head forms, settles down to a thin ring rather quick, leaves a few spots on the glass, looks nice.

Smell is great, very sour and oaky, vinegar, lemons, honey, sour fruit, apples, a bit of barnyardy funk and some nice barrel character, charred wood, nice nose.

Taste is great to, lots of sourness and acidity, oaky, sour fruit, malty middle, a touch of honey, a bit acetic, has a nice bite going down, some funkiness, very sour in the finish.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium to high carbonation, very drinkable, great acidic backbone, and I thought very drinkable.

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

sampled on tap at BBF oct 17/09.

pours hazy golden yellow with a small fine white head. the head drops fast and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is good. lemon. malt and cider vinegar. horse blanket and leather. pronounced funk, more lemony and sour than acidic. white bread and cracker.

taste is great. lemon. cider and malt vinegar. light alcohol. bit of horse blanket and leather. low bitterness level. moderate acidity. bit of vanilla and oak, but it is largely hidden by the funk.

mouthfeel is good. light body with a nice dry finish. medium-high carbonation level.

drinkability is good. pretty well balanced. a touch more acidity than i prefer, but a nice depth to the funk.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Sampled repeatedly at the 2009 GABF.

Puckering tartness, funky barnyard, acidic apple, drying tannin, buttery oak, all the flavors you would hope for and then some. I preferred Cuvee de Tomme, but this was still one of the 10 best beers I had that weekend and there was plenty of greatness to choose from. One of the best sours I have tasted and an excellent name/label too.

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottle shared by BeachBum1975.

Pours a very murky, cloudy light gold/yellow in color. A little bit of a frothy film on top of the beer.
Smell is tart and sour. Nice slight hint of lemon and oak in the nose.
Lots of light fruit in the flavor. Plenty of lemony sourness flavor as well. Very good lemon, apricot and peach flavors going on. Not as sour or tart as the Deviation we just drank. This is much more smooth and easy drinking.
Delicious now, interesting to see where this goes with some time.
Well done.

4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

Big thanks to beachbum1975 for sharing this gem.

750ml corked and caged brown bottle poured into a GLBC snifter.

A: Pours a cloudy but bright grapefruit skin color. Decent sized pearly white head with good retention. Decent lacing.

S: Funky and sour notes, acidic. Old sweaty gym socks and hockey locker room, lol. Not much cheese but some on the back end.

T/M: Not a ton of sour and tartness, more subtle in the back. Nice subtle, yet complex funkiness. Not as big of the gym sock aroma but still there. Some light colored fruits in the base that lend some great flavors and a bit of acidity. Body is medium to medium light with good carbonation. Some barrel flavors with mostly a leathery taste.

D: Drink pretty damn easy.

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've had this a couple of times now, last time a bottle I split with my wife. Just a fantastic brew, and everything I was looking for in the style. Sure, its still on the young side and exhibits more of the acetic and lactic notes than it does the barnyard at this juncture, but I like that too. Really its a matter of taste. The analogy that comes to mind is that of a soft, washed rind cheese- do you like it ripe, runny, and rank, or do you like it a little firmer, slightly sour, and just a bit piquant? Same with wild ales for me. I like them both ways, and I think one can have a classic in either maturity level. This particular beer is a classic for me in the younger, tarter vein. This pours a hazy yellow with a thin wispy head that sticks around. Smells beautifully balanced with sour acetic, lactic, and bright fruit- the fruit components showcase orange, tangerine, and muscat. Just beautiful. The taste has a long lactic finish, bright citrus, and some light funk coupled with nice firm tannins from the oak. The mouthfeel is lactic and punchy with enough tannins to give some structure to the sour fruit. Great beer, and a testament to what Lost Abbey can do when eveerything goes well.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

Another one from ummagum - many thanks! Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a Duvel tulip. My last several Lost Abbey's have been flat or close to it so nervous opening this one. Nice loud pop when opening - off to a good start. Was a hazy honey color with lots of center carb plus streams on the outside. Quick sliding lace that doesn't stick. It had a good sized fizzy white head that settled into a collar.

The aroma was excellent. Funky, sour, horseblanket, lemon, and grape. Semi-dry as well. Very nice and near the top of wild ale aromas for me. A little more funk and it would be perfect. The taste followed the aroma and again was exceptional. Sour bite from the start with good fruity balance. Ends with a eye closing pucker and then fades so you are ready for the next drink. Mouthfeel was excellent. Dry but not overly dry. Great carbonation and tart finish.

Overall, an exceptional wild ale that is worthy of the hype and praise. A world class beer. Very reminiscent of Isabelle Proximus which is one of my all-time favorites. Most highly recommend. Rotation: not available here and extremely hard to get so while I'd like some more this probably it for now. If here, I would get several bottles a year.

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey