Duck Duck Gooze - The Lost Abbey

Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze

Wants: 2,752
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.

(Beer added by: illidurit on 07-13-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duck Duck Gooze Alström Bros

4.18/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Have tried this beer on several occasions, so figured I might as well review it. It's beers like this that convince I'm just not much of a sour lover.

The beer pours a golden amber color with very good retention and considerable lacing. The nose is pretty one dimensional in my opinion, though if you're a sour lover, I guess it's great. I r eally pick up considerable lemon lime, but with some noticeable vinegar as well. It's a presage of what's to come on the palate, as I get mouth stingin lemon and lime acidity, albeit with some noticable underlying grape as well. Still, the sour component really dominates in this beer, and it's almost painful drinking this. Mouthfee lis medium bodied at most, with a long, sour, acidic finish. Alcohol is very well integrated into the flavor profile, and so if sours are your bag, I'm sure you'd be in heaven with this stuff.

Have had this several times now, and I'm able to appreciate it more than I first did when I sampled it with some friends in DC years ago, but this still is just too much sour for my palate to handle. That being said, this is always a fun and interesting beer to sample, and it's amazing the amount of flavor it delivers.

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%