Duck Duck Gooze - The Lost Abbey

Wants: 2,906
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: illidurit on 07-13-2009

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duck Duck Gooze Alström Bros

4.66/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

'09 750 poured into a Crooked Stave snifter. Tomme told me to crack this one soon, so I did. Here is what I think about it.

Appearance: Golden, minimal lacing. Carbonation still holding up. Probably 1/4 carbonation that it had in '09. Looks great.

Smell: Sour lemon, sour apple, lacto, minimal brett I would assume. Very encouraging for an American Sour>Gueuze attempt.

Taste: Follow smell with tart lemon with background sour apple. I have never had this fresh, this is the only time that I have had it; and I feel like it could last a few years more. Tomme said this was turning to acid, but mine tastes fine. Barnyard funk.

Mouthfeel: Feels like the style. A little wax coats the mouth like Saint Louis Fond Tradition does. Probably 1/4 as much wax as St. Louis Fond Tradition. Really pleasant mouthfeel. I am enjoying this right now on July 4th.

Overall: I have heard many people say that this beer is turning into acid, but perhaps their techniques in storing has been an issue with their bottle. This bottle tasted like it was about 2 years old. If you have stored your correctly I think you have another 2-3 years before it goes bad. I wish I would have had this news prior to me opening my only bottle; but I am very glad to have had this delicious brew.

4.36/5  rDev -5.6%

Opened at TN whales tasting 3/16/2013. Thanks to myself for finally opening this.

Pours a hazy orange without much head.

This is hard to review for me because it's actually pretty one dimensional. Very sour/acidic, bright dry apple/grape, delicious but not super complex. Very dry and acidic going down.

Excellent for what it is but not as good as a top Belgian gueuze and not as good as Izzy or some of the other best CA sours.

8.8/10