Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Duck Duck Gooze - The Lost Abbey

Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze

Wants: 3,202
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: illidurit on 07-13-2009

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.
Reviews: 255 | Hads: 1,503
4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Got to first try this during the Stone Sour Fest. This was one of the first three or four beers I sampled, before the UNGODLY KILN-LIKE HEAT began to destroy my will to live.

Surprisingly long lived white foam head. Pours a cloudy, hazy yellow. Smells like tight, tart funkiness, with a predominantly lemon aroma. Wow. Lot of lemon in the flavor, too. There's some nice barnyard funk that isn't overpowering, and a ton of zesty vinegar lemon ... maybe some unripe oranges ... and a dash of vinegar. Its funk and sour elements are very well balanced.

Surprisingly, neither a sour, a funk, nor a flavor bomb. It's just a very well harmonized, very good sour.

Had this back to back with Isabelle Proximus, and it was interesting to compare the two. Isabelle is certainly more sour, and heavier on the unripe apples/pears versus lemon and citrus.

**UPDATE: somewhat uniquely amongst Lost Abbey beers (recently), this was BETTER in the bottle than it was on tap. Shocking, I know. The citrus and vinous vinegary-ness was more lipsmackingly addictive, and with a big amount to linger over the nuances became much more noticeable. The oak finish and unripe apple sensation, for example, was more prominent as one worked their way through a larger serving size. One of the most drinkable sours I've come across.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was warned this beer had fallen off a bit. I can assure you it was the shocker of the night. For the people that have had it already, it was unanimous that this was the best bottle of DDG they have ever had. For me the amazing balance of sour/funk/lemon zest was amazing. Ain't over the hill yet son.

4.79/5  rDev +6%

Yellow and light orange appearance, broke out at the 5th party. Great aroma, just like Cable Car in my opinion, was super tart, funky, dry with no discernable fruit aroma save lemon, which is probably only an association from the tart/sour aroma.

More of the same in the taste, super dry, super sour and tart. Maybe could see some green apple adding to this one giving it the slightest dallop of sweetness, but contributing far more sour and bitter feel. Tangy, saliva inducing on every sip. And you sip ever so fast, must control self next time and let it warm even further. Wouldn't call it complex, its straightforward and pretty simple in the mouthfeel for what it is. And at $50, it isn't exactly accessible that often (aside from its limited production numbers). Astringent.

A must try for anyone who likes their sours though. But Cantillon Classic Gueze is like $16? And this is $50? Can't say it comes anywhere near being worth it based on that comparison, but should have it at least once in a blue moon (i.e. when you see it).

4.79/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: Slightly hazy golden yellow with a very white laced head.

S: Very estery with sour apple tones throughout.

T: Amazing. one of the best sours I've ever had. Subtle sweetness with intense but not overpowering sour berry and apple through. The smooth oak flavor does a great job of bringing everything together.

M: Very thin with and almost over carbonation.

O: This is the second best sour I've ever had behind batch 1 consecration aged for 6 years. Amazing beer. Worth it's trade value and more.

2009 Vintage (Aged 38 months)

4.79/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is amazing. The appearance was golden and brite, slight orange, crisp with very little head only brief lacing that didnt linger at all. Carb bubbles were present throughout.
The smell was sweet & sour with a good funk, slight notes of tart apple and pear. I thought after smelling that this was going to disappoint honestly.
The taste though, wow. Tart apple, granny smith, bright farmyard funk, the taste lingered as well and was slight bile lemon and finished with sweet spice notes and some orange grapefruity effervescence. This taste for me was perfection. Even as I cherished the last couple sips that had warmed it was even more complex with some malt, bread, salt and dank balanced funk. So good, better on the cold side but I cherished it all through the pour...
The mouth was crisp and dry, the tart wets the cheeks afterwards and it lingered in a good way
I really was close to a 5 on this beer, its definitely in my top 5 and left me craving desperately for another

4.79/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. Thanks to bauermj for bringing this out to the whale tasting.

Appearance: My pour is a very hazy light golden straw color with a light off-white head that fades away to nothing.

Smell: The aroma is so sour it burns my nose a little bit. Pure sour, lemon zest, some grapefruit, and a bit of apricot.

Taste: The light malt is there but gets quickly overwhelmed by the lemon, lactic, and vinegar sourness. Very sour throughout, which I enjoy very much; that is really the focus of the beer. Lemon, a bit of white grape and green apple with some full grapefruit sourness to finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth but bitingly sour and tart. Medium bodied, crisp carbonation.

Overall: I really enjoy sours that really burn my nose and rip my taste buds out. This satisfies that criteria.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

750ml bottle shared with my brothers and dad to celebrate the birth of my nephew. Out of a Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

A- Beautiful straw yellow color with a very light whitish head. It is pretty golden amber and glowing in color, and a little murky.

S- I get lots of notes of green apple, lemon, and barnyardy funk. It doesn't smell terribly sour, but is certainly funky.

T- I get lots of grape skins, apple, lemon, and funk. There are notes of acidity and sourness. I get some oaky notes as well, but the whole thing is smooth and tasty. I think green apple sweet tarts was what we thought it taste with, combined with some funky tartness.

M- Perfect blend of carbonation and body. The aftertaste is great, and very pleasant. Crisp and refreshing.

O- Definitely a great beer. Not as sour or funky as I expected, but it is sooo smooth and tasty. This is one of the smoothest sour beers I've had, and is very easy to drink. Can't wait for the next release, as this is a very drinkable sour.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer has a certain sentimental value to me, as my wife would attest to when I proposed. Always loved to bottle, would like to have a poster-sized picture of it. Bottle shared with a few of the Chicago crew and some Jackie O's peeps that were in town.

A - Golden orangish colored beer. A finger and a half of white foam bubbled up, leaving a little bit of lacing on the sides as it dissipated rather quickly.

S - For an American Wild, this is pretty spot on. Great funk, barn, and horse blanket. Smell is slightly vinous, with a bit of green apple. It has a great tartness to it, that balances out the funk with a perfect blend of sweet.

T - This is one of those beers that is easy to drink and wish I could drink often. Funk is present, but the tartness takes over, and combines with acetic notes to give it a drying and lighter taste which is great. Sour apple is hinted at, with some grapes, a touch of vinegar, and a little bit of oak. Great balance and flavors, about as right as you can get.

M - Healthy carbonation makes it feel lighter than its medium body. Dry finish that doesn't over do it.

O - One of my favorite American Wilds. Really can't get enough of this, and it is quite easy to drink. Alcohol is not detectable, even at a robust 7% for the style. Highly recommended, and I want more.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks go to either route66pubs or bret27 for this! (I did two trades for DDG and I am not entirely certain whose bottle I opened!) Shared with newtonty on my back deck on this gorgeous late summer day.

Pours a slightly hazy peach with yellow highlights. An average white, fizzy head was there for a minute, but disappeared, leaving a small white halo. Settling must have occurred as it sat in my cellar, because the more we drank, the cloudier the pours got.

The nose is big and complex on this one! I get a mix of band aid astringency, sour granny smith apples, sour peaches, fresh, sweet honey and tangerine. There's also a tobacco quality and some wood in it. Wow! To me, the peach is the most assertive flavor in the nose and it does smell puckering!

Wow, where to start! Puckering mix of band aids, peach, tangerine and honey again! My college graduate level vocabulary can't give this beer justice. Leathery/woody finish on this one... Just amazingly unique!

The body is light and the flavor is full. I get a film of bitterness on my tongue after sipping! Big complex and fantastic! One of my top 3 favorite beers of 2009!

Edit: Here is a snap of it!

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

I shared a bottle of this with drabmuh and our wives last Sunday.

The label art is fantastic and hilarious. The beer appears mostly clear, with just a slight haze. The color is golden yellow, with a small head and just a touch of lacing.

The aroma is sour and funky, but not overly so. Straw and hay scents with a slight barn or farmyard presence. Very enticing.

The beer is so easy to drink. I am very impressed. It tastes incredibly smooth and clean, and all of the complexities are balanced very well. Masterfully done. As we delved deeper into the bottle, the beer gets slightly more sour and funky. Hooray dregs. The finish is tart and funky with a hint of vinegar, but no burning acidity.

An awesome beer and well worth tracking down.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Reviewed from notes taken at Greg's epic tasting. 3oz pour.

A - Hazy, milky gold with a bit of a white (not off white) head that recedes quickly.

S - Sharply but cleanly sour, lots of citrus, melons (grapefruit), and green apple skins.

T - this is the best, most robust wild I've ever had, period. Most fall into the trap of being very one-dimensional, but not this beauty. MOUNTAINS of green apple skins, tons of sour and barnyard funk, with a slight acidic bite. Not too vinegary.

M - a tad thin, but spot on nonetheless.

D - I could, and would, drink this all day everyday.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Attended the 4th pick up for the 2013 DDG release.

This wonderful elixir was served in a plastic cup. I did share a bit with my GF who I've been introducing to sours over the last couple years. Kind wished for a DDG glass taster, but hell I was happy just to get a taste without cracking a bottle.

A: Very clear light golden color. You can tell something interesting is hiding behind that veil of beauty.
S: Tart with fruity esters only inviting your senses to get closers.
T: The initial taste is of mild fruit with a very drinkable sourness, that makes you want to go for the next drink.
M: Very smooth, with some wetness.
O: I love this beer, but I'm hesitant on opening a bottle now. When I do I'll be revisiting this review.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle to oversized red wine glass (what else bitches?)

A: Pours a straw-orange with a small effervescent head that recedes quickly to a rim around the edges.

S: Jesus this smells like somebody poured malt vinegar on top of hawaii. And I mean that in the best way possible. Big notes of both sweet and sour fruit up front: grapefruit, big lemon, tangerine, and sour apple all dance like prepubescent naked teens conjuring satan in the forest during the salem witch trials. This fruitiness is pulled by an acidic tartness that is surprisingly more sweet than the vinegar sourness that has been known to plague a select few LA sours that shall not be named.

T: First few sips were an overwhelming acidic pucker that kept my anus clenched through the end, where it finally faded into a funky and musky finish. Some subtle fruit sweetness, but mostly vinegar and acidic. Not like shitty Bruery sour-gone-bad vinegar, but the typical LA vinegar as mentioned above. As it warmed, the vinegar started to fade, and morph into a more juicy and fruity sour as the initial aroma would have suggested. By the time my first glass was empty and the second was poured, I fell in love. This beer is the pinnacle of what an AWA should strive for. Sour as fuck, funky as shit, but also unbelievably juicy. Green apple, lemon juice, and sweet nectarines stood out once it warmed. Finish is dry and full of unicorn semen. Like sucking on a green apple jolly rancher. Wo0ah daddy like.

O: Admittedly I am lost abbey fanboy, However, I don't hesitate to criticize them when they fuck up. They do fuck up a lot, but when Tomme gets his shit together, they are 100% fucking all time...this beer would be an example of being 100% fucking all time. Like an otter pop blended with lemon juice filtered through sweaty gym socks. And yeah, that was intended to be a compliment.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Pours hazy golden yellow in color. A nice, slightly off white head that recedes ever so slightly. Some light lacing is left on my glass.

A- Wow really nice! Sour apple all the way. A nice funky twist with some lemon twist. A light hint of Chardonnay barrels. This is just really, really, nice.

T- I love it! Tart granny smith apples. A bit of oak, white grapes, and chardonnay. The bit of citrus in the nose is also present in the taste, but not as strong. Sour and funky.

M- lighter side of medium in body. Carbonation is high. Finishes dry and tart.

D- I will without a doubt, be seeking out another bottle.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle thanks to islandboi8204, served in a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: Hazy yellow orange, with a half finger of white head that recedes to a rim. No lacing. Body has a nice glow to it.

Smell: Big tart lemons and funk up front. Lots of oak as well. Some pear skins and green apples. A strong lactic character is even sour on the nose.

Taste: Big sour lemons up front, followed by a deep clean funk. Lots of tart pears and more lemon. A hefty amount of oak dries everything out continually. Some light bready sweetness, but only just. Finishes with funk and oak.

Mouthfeel: Very sour, but never puckering or cloying. Very, very dry, which I enjoy immensely.

Overall: This beer exceeded my high expectations. It is clear why it has the acclaim it carries. I hope to have it again.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Big thanks to Brandon East for sharing this bottle!!

Poured a hazy almost pineapple yellow with a tad bit of bright white head. The aroma is a funk explosion of tart apples, sour grapes and great citrus notes coming together beaitiful! The taste follows the nose and attacks the back corners of my mouth with extreme yet smooth tartness.

Medium to light in body with a semi drying tart finish. The finish leaves you begging for more! Overall, this beer was everybit worth the hype. So pumped I got to have it!

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Big thanks to Slatetank for sharing this brew with a few of us on 2/13/11. Been wanting to try this one for awhile so thanks again Matt!

From a 750ml corked and caged bottle this brew pours a clear golden yellow color with a pillow of white fizzy head sitting atop. The bubbles are fairly large and the cap is supported by a constant stream of rising carbonation. This is quite an attractive looking offering that displays no haze and spotty lacework clings to the glass.

The smell of this brew is funky suggesting notes of Brett that are introduced in a pleasing way that breaks up a readily apparent indication of fruity lemon zest. The smell of this brew was an exciting surprise of lemon verse the funk I was expecting. There is seemingly no indication of alcohol to be found in this smell. It is well rounded and super enjoyable before I have even taken a sip.

The taste of this brew is quite acidic blended with notes of Brett that impart a lightly cheese-like flavor coupled with an overall funkiness. It is both tart and acidic that give an accent to the light lemon flavor that is included. The Brett is enjoyable, not too subtle that you have to search for it and not overpowering at all. The lemony aspect seemingly clings inside the mouth with nearly an oily lasting power of resines. At times this brew seems to pick up a contrasting sweetness that is revealed as I concentrate more on the lemony flavor. The blend here of flavors is enjoyable and seemingly different with every sip, awesome array of tartness, acidity and funk before the first indications of the bitey alcohol reveals itself once the brew is warm.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a moderate to high level of carbonation. Very easy drinking and enjoyable with it's tangy acidity and drying quality on the tongue. The alcohol is well integrated into this brew, it just works. Each sip has a big salivation factor to it which urged me to drink more almost carelessly without thinking about the characteristics it was offering. The only thing I can fault this beer for is it's lack of availability. I wish I could drink this on a regular basis.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

From 04/14/12 notes. Brought this to our DC Sour Tasting. 2009 vintage.

a - Pours a clear deep golden color with one inch of bright white head and moderate carbonationi evident. Looks amazing.

s - Smells of sour fruits, lemon, citrus, hay, earth, wine, oak, grapes, funk, brett, and apples. Ton of sourness, brett, and some light funk mix to an amazing smell. Near perfect for me.

t - Tastes of sour fruits, light wine, oak, brett, apples, lemon and citrus hops, some earthy notes, and sour grapes. Awesome taste, though the nose is slightly better.

m - Medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Crisp and very easy to drink.

o - Overall I thought this was an amazing wild ale; one of the best at the tasing for me, and one of the best I've ever had. The nose is perfect and just a ton of sourness and funk. Well worth the hype and really hoping the rumors are true that they are making this one again. I preferred it to both Synergy and Yellow Bus, though Izzy slightly edged this one out for me.

4.74/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A-Pours a bright golden yellow with a thin lace that dissipates into a thin outer lace.

S- sweet lemon and with some deep funk.

T- follows the nose really well. Has a real nice juicy taste. Like i'm drinking a sweet juice followed by a strong funk that completely covers your mouth. Then there is a sweetness on the back end that finishes the beer perfectly.

M- fully bodied and sour. Brings your mouth to a pucker.

O- a very delicious brew. Perfectly balanced between sour and sweet. So glad i got to try this.

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

2013 B2 Bottle shared with my buddy David after passing the Series 7.

Pours a bright golden-orange yellow color that looks so appetizing. Decent white foam hear that lasts a bit then recedes back into the glass

Smell - hints of straw, hay, grape vinous smells followed by the slightest note of red wine barrel character that gives it a dry tart funk smell

Taste - White grape, Lemon, yeast, straw, funk, tartness that is slight at the front with an amazing finish and as it warmed the red wine barrel character really shined.

Mouthfeel - Dry medium bodied and extremely crisp. Very well done

Overall - Fantastic beer from Lost Abbey and I am so glad I was able to track this one down. Well worth the wait and definitely one of my long time wants.

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to Loki83 for this Gem.

A - pours a bright yellow. White head, light lacing.

S - Not that strong. I smell some funk right out the gate, with some slight hints of lemon peel.

T - wow, begins with a strong acidic and lemon taste right at the start. Some funk follows, with a slight sweet and dry finish.

M - perfect. Level of carbonation is high, and I love that with my sours. The beer flavor lingers.

D - very high. The beer is very sour, but not off-putting at all. The lemon notes keep me interested.

O - another great beer I just had tonight. Well worth it.

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

Shared generously by Chico1985. Notes from Friday. First of three gueuzes on the night.

A- Murky golden-orange that reminds me of a dried apricot or something. A small white head forms for a bit and a ring leaves just a bit of lace.

S- A big bomb of funk and fruit. Funk lends a barnyard and horse pasture type feel. The fruit balances that out with notes of almost anything I can think of, mainly white wine grapes, apples and some vinous hints. Oak rounds it all out.

T- Probably the smoothest flavor in a sour I have experienced thus far. Just like the nose the fruit is huge. Apples, white grapes, slight peach and tons of lemon/citrus sour fruits. Oak works nicely with the funky barnyard wild yeast. A nice level of sour.

MF- Light body with lower end carbonation suiting the flavor. Gets very sour as it warms more but still at a level I enjoy.

DB- A very smooth and balanced flavor compared to most sours I have had before. The microbes in the beer lend so many nice flavors and the brewing skill put into this helps balance it into a great beer.

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

Generously shared at a recent tasting by a ratebeer user. I won't hold his site of choice against him. I really had no idea what to expect from this beer. I've found that most Lost Abbey beers suck, but their special releases are mind numbing. Mix that with all the hype that has built up behind this beer and you've got one curious, but cool, kat.

Poured from a 750Ml bottle. This pours a very hazy straw golden yellow, which glows when held up to the light. There is a nice soft white hazy head. Looks near ideal for the style.

WHOA!!! Super sour, lemon, vanilla, lemongrass, sour cherry and light orange all combine to form an unbelievable scent. I can't keep my nose out of the glass. Easily one of the best smelling beers around. The flavors dance nicely on the palate, and combine to form an incredibly acetic taste. Very pleasing to the sour lover. The body is highly carbonated, which is unusual for an LA beer. Regardless, there is plenty of substance to this beer.

I. Want. MORE!

4.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this at the Epic Bottle Share at TG. Still have my bottle in the cellar which I am now more excited to drink than ever!!! Sooooo smooth and just the right amount of Tart.

4.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 bottle opened 2014 in celebration of the birth of Evelyn Marie Guercio.

A - Bright gold body. Fine white head settles quickly into a thin halo. Low lace. Nice effervescence in the glass.

S - Round, super smooth nose. Tart green apple skins, white grapes, sweet wonder bread, tangerine, touch of salt, lemon zest. Soft sourness makes your mouth water.

T - Soured apple puree, sharp sour lemons, spiced pears, orange zest, Riesling, savory spice, oak, and yellow raisin. Salt and vinegar chips on the finish.

M - Silky smooth, medium-full body with an outstanding, absolutely show-stopper finish. The beer simply does not die out at all, lingering for ages your palate.

O - Awesome flavor, stellar balance, surprisingly smooth, and possibly the best finish of any beer I've ever had. Truly world class.

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey