Duck Duck Gooze - The Lost Abbey

Wants: 3,132
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: illidurit on 07-13-2009

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duck Duck Gooze Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,449 | Reviews: 260
4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 bottle opened 2014 in celebration of the birth of Evelyn Marie Guercio.

A - Bright gold body. Fine white head settles quickly into a thin halo. Low lace. Nice effervescence in the glass.

S - Round, super smooth nose. Tart green apple skins, white grapes, sweet wonder bread, tangerine, touch of salt, lemon zest. Soft sourness makes your mouth water.

T - Soured apple puree, sharp sour lemons, spiced pears, orange zest, Riesling, savory spice, oak, and yellow raisin. Salt and vinegar chips on the finish.

M - Silky smooth, medium-full body with an outstanding, absolutely show-stopper finish. The beer simply does not die out at all, lingering for ages your palate.

O - Awesome flavor, stellar balance, surprisingly smooth, and possibly the best finish of any beer I've ever had. Truly world class.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a golden yellow color, with a thin white head. The head fades quickly, leaving a slight lace.

This beer has a nice sour fruit aroma. I detect some lemon, and a little orange. It smells sour, to say the least. I can also detect some oaky aroma. A slight earthy funk aroma is also present. Also, just a slight vineger scent.

This beer tastes just as it smells. Some sour, tart fruit. A little oak and some funk mix in as well. As with the aroma, I can taste a slight vineger flavor.

This beer leaves a tart lemon aftertaste. It is highly carbonated, as I would expect form the style.

This beer would make a great session beer. It isnt too high in alcohol, and the flavor is great. It may become cloying at some point since it is so tart.

Overall: I have been waiting to open up this beer for a few months now, and I couldnt think of any better time than Thanksgiving. I now have one more thing to be thankful for.

A snow day treat!

A: Golden with a slight orange tint to it and with only a minimal amount of cloudiness present. It pours a decent amount of carbonation that is champagne like but still leaves a nice ring which hangs around the edge of the glass

S: Nice lemon, grape and pear tartness to start with maybe a hint of sour green apple. Light funkiness and a nice oaky and earthy essence.

T: The tart fruitiness is certainly the starting point but lends very nicely with a subtle sweet oak wood note and vanilla. There is a nice earthy feel that provides a pleasant mustinss. The tart fruitiness reminds me of sweet lemonade mix with pears and sour green apple. This one was really well done

M: A slightly prickly feel and a mild booziness the body is very light and there is no vinegar taste to it

D: This is a great sour that i would love to drink on a regular basis. It is loaded with complexities and quenches my thirst at the same time

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ah, Duck Duck, we finally meet thanks to Vacax. Thanks again, Jacob. 750 ml bottle served in a snifter.

Pours a light orange with good 1-2 finger pearly white head. A bit cloudy and yeasty.

Smells of a real gueuze, Jean Van Roy would be proud. Very funky, "horse blanket" if you'd like. Some good sweetness is under all of that funk. Lemon and orange peel.

Tastes just exceptional. Really love this. I have heard people say this tastes like "smarties" and I can see what they mean. It does have a slight candy taste, but it's hidden under very balanced lemon sourness. This beer is exactly how I like a wild ale, very sour with a bit of sweetness coming through on the back end. So tasty.

Mouthfeel is a pretty solid body and moderate to high carbonation.

Overall, finally a beer I don't feel stupid for taking time to track down. This beer is amazing and I would drink it frequently if it wasn't so damn rare.

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2009 Bottle

A: Pours a clear, dark gold/nearly copper color with a thin, off-white head that simmers down to nothing fairly quickly.

S: Right away there's a nice blast of cheesy funk and lacto with a big hit of lemon. Light oak and just a touch of apple cider vinegar.

T: A juicy push of tart Granny Smith apple, lemon and underripe pear upfront followed by a smooth middle of oak and lemon meringue. Finish leaves a lingering lemon flesh sourness. Has just a touch of white wine barrel to it, cherry skin and just a breath of funk on the finish. Doesn't carry the funk of something like 3F Oude Gueuze and doesn't have the sourness of a beer like Cable Car, but it's fantastically rounded and just keeps pummeling you with a variety of flavors, none of them bad. An absolutely phenomenal beer. So glad I finally got to try this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to some awesome FL BA's for sharing this with me. Such a wonderful treat. Review from notes.

Golden honey blonde with swirls of haze from the yeast. Nice bubbly top. Beautiful blend of lemon zest, herbs, tannic wood, and must, with lots of citric and lactic sourness radiating all over the place. Very light sweetness throughout. Light in body with an effervescent carbonation that is neither too strong nor too weak. Quite a delicious beer indeed.

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Lost Abbey Duck-Duck-Gooze

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.
Vintage: 2013

Pours a nice crisp and clear bright golden color with a nice half-inch white head that is pretty dense. Head recedes pretty quickly down to a nice thin matt.

Aroma is of vinous tart notes. There are very slight balsamic notes with more of the lemony Gueze like character. Delicious white wine tart notes in the aroma, champagne and white wine yeast notes are present in the nose as well. Nice mild fruit juice sweetness that help balance the tartness. Notes of apple juice and pear mixed in with mild citrus fruit sweetness.

Flavor is where this brew takes the cake, especially as it warms. Starts off with amazing green apple tartness and sweetness (but mostly welcoming tartness). Huge yet not overwhelming puckering tartness starts things off along with dryness and woody funk notes. The brew is pretty musty and dry with a perfect balance between the tartness and the funk. Amazing tasting sourness that isn’t overwhelming with a great crisp, clean and fluffy body. Overall, this is one of the better sours I’ve had out there. It is clean and not too overwhelming but has some amazing fruit tartness balanced by some nice fruit sweetness.

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml 2013 bottle into a snifter.

pours a cloudy dark yellow with an inch thick head. smell is acidic and lemony .. vinegary. the taste is absolutely perfect. the sourness is not too strong and not too light. perfect flavor. I'd never guess red wine barrels but its so smooth. literally perfect gueuze.. medium carbonation and medium bodied.

overall my new favorite gueze

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

A= been waitin for a good time to open this one. This one pours a nice slightly hazy amberish yellow color with a very thin head on it that falls to a thin ring around the side of the glass leacing little to no lacing.

S= The smell is sour apples, lemons, vinegar, funky cheesy brett, a little oak. Really a lot of smell going on here. You could easily pick out a few more odors coming out. The smells meld together in a way I can only describe as interesting.

T= The taste of this one is simply divine! Wow not expecting so much greatness from the odor. There is a dominate sour lemon taste to it that really only creeps across your tongue. There is a lot of oak coming through for a sour. Usually a sour beer is only grazed by the oak taste this has a lot of oak deep inside of it. All the flavors seem like they just touch your tongue for a moment so you really have to concentrate to pick them out. There is a lot of green apple taste to it as well as some really really sour lemons or limes. The taste isn't longest lasting taste I've ever had which I find interesting due to the intensity of the flavor.

M= Low carbonation and super dry finish.

D= This beer is amazing. I'm glad I had the chance to try it and I hope I will be able to get my hands on it again in the future. A superb drink that I was able to share with my girlfriend after we have both worked looong hour for many days making the setting perfect for a nice sipper to be savored. This beer is something that keeps you coming back for more and more sips. Great job Lost Abbey I look forward to more releases.

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into a Rochefort glass.

The beer is honey gold with a touch of orange. The head is white rising a finger and lasting only briefing with ligh lacing.

The aroma is pretty light for a wild ale with mostly a light sour funk to it. Its on its way to being a crazy strong horse blanket but jusn't get you there. Some might like the lighter aroma as it won't turn them off, but I was looking for a tad bit more pugency. At the end there is some light wood.

For the reasons I didn't like the aroma a ton, I love the taste. It is sour enough to give me the pucker and sensations that I love about wild ale but its just light enough to make it very drinkable. The biggest complaint is that the flavor isn't complex just sour through and through.

Mouthfeel is heavy and great drinkability.

Overall this is an excellent ale and great beer overall. If you love sours this is one you have to search out.

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hazy lemon yellow in color with a frothy white head and spotty lacing. The nose features light lactic funk, hay, tart lemon, barnyard, and a light grassy note. Graceful, layered flavor of sour citrus, lemon meringue, slight orange and melon, with a tart finish that doesn’t overpower the well-balanced taste. Effervescent and slightly prickly palate.

4.67/5  rDev +0.9%

Sampled at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach 08/24/09.

A - Dark straw colored pour with a thin head. No lacing on glass.

S - Funky! Tart and cut grass. Was impressed by the complexity of the nose on this.

T - Amazing. Sharp fruit and tartness, with a good funk profile.

M - Carbonated and crisp. The tartness did make for a "shocked palate" feeling but I found that dissipated pretty quickly.

D - I could have sat there and drank it all night. Honestly. Fantastic sessionable beer.

What can be said really. A really complex gueze-style beer. I don't know how they pulled it off but I'd have been shocked if you told me this wasn't a Cantillon or similar beverage, if I didn't know better.

4.67/5  rDev +0.9%

I love this beer. Poured from the bottle into a Delirium Tremens tulip glass.

Poured a clear pale golden yellow. Odd - I've had this beer before, and it's always been very cloudy. This pour is very clear. Weird. No matter. A small white head emerges and quickly dissipates to a thin collar. Quite nice. (Note: Subsequent pours were cloudy in appearance, which I like a bit more for some reason).

The beer smells of lemons, vinegar, a dollop of honey, oak, and big blast of barnyard funk. Absolutely fantastic.

The taste largely follows the nose. A big sour blast of juicy lemon citrus, with a hint of orange and perhaps ruby red grapefruit zest mixed in. The oak is there, but very subtle. There's a touch of sweetness in the mid-palate, but that is enveloped quickly by a strong (though not overbearing) sour finish. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel is great. Active carbonation, light-bodied, with a sharp, dry finish. Just what I wanted tonight.

This beer, once opened, never lasts long. I can gulp this down with reckless abandon - but I don't. I enjoy the bottle over the course of an hour or more, taking my time, and trying my best to ignore the chug demon that sits on my left shoulder.

This is a fantastic beer, and IMHO the best sour that Lost Abbey has done. Caveat: I have not yet had Yellow Bus. In due time...

Highly recommended.

4.67/5  rDev +0.9%

750ml C&C bottle generously shared by THE CPJ. Review #700, quite a milestone!

Pours a hazy gold with a thin white head that settles to a slight ring and swirls of haze. Phenomenal aromas of funk, lemon juice, oak, green Granny Smith apples, and wet hay. Very acidic and sharp, but in the best possible way. Reminds me quite a bit of Cable Car. Taste follow the nose nicely, very acidic flavors of lemon juice, green apple, and tropical fruit with a bit of oak and a whole lot of funk. Mouthfeel is crisp and smooth, with a fairly light body and good, sharp carbonation. Just the right amount of dry sourness here, it doesn't strip the enamel off your teeth. Overall an amazing, unforgettable beer, so stoked to have gotten to try this. Cheers, Shane!

4.66/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy orange color with a small white head. Smells of lemon and a little grass with some funk. Taste is a ton of lemons and a little funk tartness. Mouthfeel is very smooth at first then you get that nice tart pucker. Overall a fantastic beer.

2013 bottle

4.66/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

'09 750 poured into a Crooked Stave snifter. Tomme told me to crack this one soon, so I did. Here is what I think about it.

Appearance: Golden, minimal lacing. Carbonation still holding up. Probably 1/4 carbonation that it had in '09. Looks great.

Smell: Sour lemon, sour apple, lacto, minimal brett I would assume. Very encouraging for an American Sour>Gueuze attempt.

Taste: Follow smell with tart lemon with background sour apple. I have never had this fresh, this is the only time that I have had it; and I feel like it could last a few years more. Tomme said this was turning to acid, but mine tastes fine. Barnyard funk.

Mouthfeel: Feels like the style. A little wax coats the mouth like Saint Louis Fond Tradition does. Probably 1/4 as much wax as St. Louis Fond Tradition. Really pleasant mouthfeel. I am enjoying this right now on July 4th.

Overall: I have heard many people say that this beer is turning into acid, but perhaps their techniques in storing has been an issue with their bottle. This bottle tasted like it was about 2 years old. If you have stored your correctly I think you have another 2-3 years before it goes bad. I wish I would have had this news prior to me opening my only bottle; but I am very glad to have had this delicious brew.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

Strong pop from the cork, emitting a little wisp of gunsmoke, then laid into a lambic basket to serve it.

Dusty crystalline orange with an ethereal haze of skim across the surface. It was like a web of spindly clouds that ebb and fade on the wind. A thin ring at the edge with some random spotty lace around, the broken skim remained for the whole glass.

Lemon custard, wet hay, citrus aromas, very authentic and Belgian lambic inspired. Woody farmhouse funk that further supports the lambic impression. With a swirl it intensifies with a sharp acid/petrol note.

Dry and tart with lots of unique fruit for a Wild Ale. Lemon and sweet tarts, with an ever so slight edge of sweetness that surfaces at the back. The sour/sweet balance is near perfect, lending to the puckering feel with the salivary glands working overtime. A nice mellow softness enhances the overall feel of it, in contrast to the sharpness of a traditional Gueuze. 7/10 on the sour scale. The finish is dry with some oaky barrel traces in the aftertaste. This is an exercise in self-control not to just gulp the whole bottle down. One of the most drinkable Wild Ale examples out there. Though incredible, i'd still give the slight edge to Isabelle. Would love to taste some Phunky Duck, as this blend is very tasty.

Huge thanks to Weibull for his overflowing generosity, never thought i'd get to try this! Thanks also to Masterski for the preview sample!

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

In my study of the American Wild Ale I had read about the elusive Duck Duck Gooze. So wasn't I happy when on a trip down to The Lost Abbey on Sunday that they had, what I now affectionately call Duck Duck, available. From notes on 2/21/2010.

A: Pours a golden orange with a white head that quickly dissipates.

S: A crisp sourness that imparts a citrus smell of lemon and orange.

T: The taste follows the smell. Was anticipating a more intense sour but found it to be a rather smooth tartness. Very citrusy.

M: Drinking enough of this makes the teeth feel stripped and the tongue rough but it's so good I just don't care.

D: Definitely a sipping beer due to the sour. While it does leave the palate feeling "stripped" I could literally drink this all day. This one gets an overall "major noms" from me.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

Thanks to Matt for supplying. Sweet pick-up from So Cal.

A - Pours a hazy golden color with 1 finger of head. It dissipates moderately fast and leaves little lacing. The carbonation is low.

S - Brett and lacto at first followed by subtler characters of honey and maybe a bit of caramel. There is a hint of oak as well.

T - Brett and lacto are the most prevalent flavors. As the beer warms up there are more fruity esters, but also perhaps this beer was aged in a white wine barrel as well. Definitely oak and caramel and honey compose the background. Hops are minimal, but just enough to leave some residual bittering flavor.

M - Moderate bodied and malt dominated, with funk and sourness. Also, a residual amount of sweetness present from the esters and oak aging.

D - Exceptional. I could really sit and session with this sour. The sourness is not too much (cuvee rene) as the white wine barrel aging adds residual sweetness. Definitely a top 100 beer.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

A. Pops with just a tiny fizz. Pours a clear yellow with some orange in it. A small fizzy white head rises.

S. Oaky upfront. With lemon, green apple, some vinegar, notes similiar to

T. Lots of granny smith, good high level of tartness, some funkiness, lemon peel, a lot more sweetness than expected. Barnyard characteristics are more apparent in the bottom of the bottle.

M. Thin body with high carbonation.

D. Very drinkable. The front is more tart while the tail is funkier.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

Poured on tap into plastic sampling cup, so unable to appreciated true head/lacing. Appearance-hazy, pale yellow, almost little milky. Lightly/perfect carbonation. Smell-tart, sweet, citrusy, little funk on the side w/sourness but not super funky or 'horse blankety' in any way. Very dry finish and easy drinking. Could drink several of these unlike many wild ales that are more sippers. Very well balanced IMO.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

Whew. The wait is over! Had this on tap today along with a boatload of other folks at the Lost Abbey Christmas in July. Had a fantastic time, big ups to the whole staff and for having such an awesome and worthy event for beer lovers.

Appearance: Yellow with a straw-white head and nice carbonation. Solid, but it really belied what was inside.

Smell: Tartness comes through, even in the nose. Green apple, grape, and hints of cherry with very little yeast. Highly sour and sweet smells alike, and on a hot day like today, just sounded awesome.

Taste: Now, I just want to say before I fully review: I haven't had too many sour beers, but this beer was incredible. Full bodied tartness that really makes you pucker, with the grape, green apple, and hints of peach really layering it on thick in the taste department. Wow, just so interesting, refreshing, and just absolutely tasty through and through.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and well carbonated, with a lasting pucker post-swallow that eventually fades to a dry and sweet finish. Really nice.

Drinkability: As drinkable as they come. I could've gone through pint after pint of this, and would've had it not started to run out / me go broke. But as great as I'd hoped, and here's to hoping it's all that and more out of the bottle!

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

Thanks to Devin for the bottle! I've been wanting to try this for quite some time.

Duck Duck Gooze pours a clear, light-orange with a thin white head on top. Good lacing left behind. Looks great for an American Wild.

Lots of sour mustiness on the nose. Hay and acidity with a faint hint of ethanol. Peaches and light fruits. Touch of vinegar and white grape. Strong and enjoyable. One the best wild ale aromas I've had the pleasure of nosing.

Peach, pear and apple enveloped in a wave of nice sourness on the tongue. A decent vinegar burn lingers on the finish. Very juicy and acidic, mixed with sweet malts. The flavor profile is great. The balance between fruitiness and sourness is very good. I feel like this going to get pretty acidic in another year or so, but at the moment it's like sour liquid candy.

Mouthfeel has a really nice sour kick to it. Smooth long burn on the finish. Perfect carbonation. Very smooth, almost slippery. Well done.

This is a very drinkable wild. The sourness is starting to become more intense, which makes this more of a sipper, but a sipper that is full of complexity and great flavor. This is most definitely one of the best sour beers I have ever had, especially from an American brewery. Really a must for all sour heads. I can't wait for the next release. Great job Lost Abbey.

4.64/5  rDev +0.2%

Consumed at the lost abbey on 2/27/10 on the day of the carnavelle release party.

A: poured a murky golden yellow with a thin white head and a little sticky lacing on the glass.

S: huge citric lemon aroma with hints of oaky barrel funk, viinegar, and apples as well.

T: beautiful puckering sour lemon flavor that is pretty intense with oaky apple notes that make the beer quite acidic.

D: I love sour beers and this one is definitely one of my favorites that has a great sour punch and great flavor to back it up. I really hope I can get more of this sour elixer.

4.63/5  rDev 0%

A huge thanks to John for hosting such an amazing tasting

This beer pours a beautiful yellow color and is surprisingly clear, only a very slight haze to it. the head is white and laces the glass. the smell is sour, with hints of fruit like green apple, also detect some oak. the taste is pretty close to the smell, it has that lactic sour, with hints of fruit, a little funk to it. the mouthfeel is on the light to medium side with good carbonation. this beer is sour and very drinkable.

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey