Duck Duck Gooze - The Lost Abbey

Wants: 3,131
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: illidurit on 07-13-2009

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duck Duck Gooze Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,446 | Reviews: 260
4.47/5  rDev -3.5%

750ml. Shared this with some FLA buds. Poured a nicely carbed, sunshine gold color with a thick creamy head. Straw and citrus nose with grapefruit, lemon zest and a touch of woodiness. Great sour taste with hints of apple and barnyard funk. Finished dry and lightly acidic. Another nice beer from Dr Tomme.

4.28/5  rDev -7.6%

Reviewed from notes-- still trying to get caught up!
poured into a tulip.
shared by oreo

Clear, slightly chill-hazed, orange-tinted gold. Small white head. Looks like a classic gueuze, it really does. Minimal lace, but good looking nonetheless.
Fine carbonation that works very well. Little harsh acidic bite to the sourness, but overall this drinks very smoothly and I would happily sip this all day.
The beer is good. I understand why people go crazy for these beers... it really is fucking good.
The nose some citrusy notes-- mainly lemon. A slight oak character comes through. The flavor is tasty-- clean, sour, and overall a fantastic beer.

3.05/5  rDev -34.1%

Thanks to reDUBBELFIST for sharing this at the Philly BA Meetup at TJ's earlier this summer.

This beer is a very pale, hazy straw yellow with a very slight ring of egg shell foam. The beer smells wild and bretty with a little fresh lemon. The beer starts out pleasantly sour and tart with good lemon and green apple flavors, but the finish is pure viengar. The viscous, mouth-coating, saliva-stripping, mouth pucker acidity. It is a combination of astrigent (like biting into underripe apples) and vinegar was very unappealing. This beer is wildly drying for a liquid. This is an okay beer, not the worst sour I've ever had, but it does not live up to the hype at all. I'm glad to have gotten to try it, but it's nothing I would actively seek out again.

4.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

At Woodshop

A -Pale golden color with a wisp of white foam atop.

S- Acetic lemon rind and funk.

T- Starts out sour and tart with a distinct lemon presence. Barnyard funk and wet horse blanket follow. The finish is sour with a lingering lemony aftertaste. Exquisite!

M-Thin with a medium level of carbonation.

O- A wonderful beer, which I've been ISO for what seems like forever. Perfect tart, lemon characteristics with a level of funkiness that leaves me craving another glass.

4.3/5  rDev -7.1%

Shared by Roger. Thanks man.
Pours similar to carbonated apple juice, with not quite the clarity and a nice cap of white head. The nose is lightly sour with lemon rind and cider vinegar. The taste is sweeter than expected - a lemon apple acidity presents in a somewhat reserved way. This beer is shockingly drinkable and not particularly sour (more funky than sour). One of my preferred wilds. The mouthfeel is nice with good, strong carbonation and a heavier than expected body. Overall, this is one of my favorite wilds that I have had from the nebulous AWA style.

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

A. Pops with just a tiny fizz. Pours a clear yellow with some orange in it. A small fizzy white head rises.

S. Oaky upfront. With lemon, green apple, some vinegar, notes similiar to

T. Lots of granny smith, good high level of tartness, some funkiness, lemon peel, a lot more sweetness than expected. Barnyard characteristics are more apparent in the bottom of the bottle.

M. Thin body with high carbonation.

D. Very drinkable. The front is more tart while the tail is funkier.

4.38/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks Roger!
A palette cleanser for our wooden hell tasting.

Pours a beautiful hazy yellowed orange with a nice touch of white head. Got the dregs sort of of the bottle. Smells tart and sour. Very nicely funky. It's very sour but also very funky. Not like any beer ive ever had. The mouthfeel is nice and well carbonated. The sourness is pretty harsh but enjoyable. Definitely a very solid beer somewhere between a gueuze and a wild

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%

HUGE Thanks to Chad for sharing this beer with me! This has been on my WANTS for a long time. Pours a murky, golden-orange color with a small, white head that disappears quickly. Scent is oh so funky with some sweet fruit notes...peaches. Sour vinegar and lemon come at me as well. Taste is just as I was hoping. Tart fruit (peaches, green apple, lemon) with some vinous characteristics. Tons of sour and funky flavors with a nice oak backbone. Absolutely delicious! Mouthfeel is a puckering, well-carbonated, crisp masterpiece. Drinkability is very high, especially for this Fresno summer heat. Amazing beer... I would definitely need to do a side by side with Cable Car to see which one I enjoy more.

4.77/5  rDev +3%

750ml bottle shared with my brothers and dad to celebrate the birth of my nephew. Out of a Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

A- Beautiful straw yellow color with a very light whitish head. It is pretty golden amber and glowing in color, and a little murky.

S- I get lots of notes of green apple, lemon, and barnyardy funk. It doesn't smell terribly sour, but is certainly funky.

T- I get lots of grape skins, apple, lemon, and funk. There are notes of acidity and sourness. I get some oaky notes as well, but the whole thing is smooth and tasty. I think green apple sweet tarts was what we thought it taste with, combined with some funky tartness.

M- Perfect blend of carbonation and body. The aftertaste is great, and very pleasant. Crisp and refreshing.

O- Definitely a great beer. Not as sour or funky as I expected, but it is sooo smooth and tasty. This is one of the smoothest sour beers I've had, and is very easy to drink. Can't wait for the next release, as this is a very drinkable sour.

-GFunk

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%

A huge thanks to Andy (wedgie9) for opening this up at a mini tasting last night. Also, a massive thanks to Patrick (kingkong) for trading one of these to me which will be opened in the near future with family. Cheers to two great BA’s!

Appearance – Pours a hazy, golden color into a Lost Abbey tulip. Slight off white head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates relatively fast leaving slight lacing.

Smell – Man oh man. Tons of tart, funk up front. Wet hay/grass, musty barnyard, slight leather. Hints of vinegar, acetone, and lemons. As the beer warms nice oak characteristics emerge as well as sour fruits and granny smith apples. Wonderful.

Taste – My mouth puckers before the beer even touches my lips. Honestly, the taste is pretty spot on with the nose. Wonderful lemon flavor mixed in with the barnyard funk. The oak characteristics shine as the beer warms, as does the slight vinegar and acetone. The fruit flavors are simply fantastic, with the lemon fading to green apple, and peaches. The beer is everything I wanted it to be.

Mouthfeel – Lighter/medium bodied, slight prickly carbonation, finishes damn dry.

Overall – A wonderful beer. Very glad I was able to try this now and have one to open later. Rip on LA or TA as much as you want, but he can make some damn good sours. Simply put, one of the best beers I’ve had. The first beer of the night and the best in my opinion. Fantastic.

3.8/5  rDev -17.9%

Foggy straw-colored pour with minimal white head. Nose is vinegary and acetic, but with a very noticeable maltiness, backed up by some wonderful cheesy funk. Flavor is quite nicely consistent with the nose. Like the nose, there is a light bready sweetness that I was not expecting. Adequate carbonation pulls everything off the palate for a great finish. Wonderful brew, but not quite ’top 5’ sour material. Certainly try it if you can.

4.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle cracked open at Hunahpu’s. A hazy shade of orange with a small white head. Sour fruits and woody nose. All kinds of things going on in here funk, lemon zest, tart citrus, and horse blanket flavors. It’s fantastic, I just can’t decide if I like it better than CC or not.

4.47/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured a hazy yellow color with an average frothy off-white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Moderate to heavy sour, yeast and wood aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation. Medium to heavy sour flavor with a medium to heavy sweet & sour finish of moderate to long duration. This is a standout beer for style.

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%

Note's from Captain Lawrence Rosso Batch 3 release / tasting:

Duck duck gooze – holy shit, DDG…here we are. Beatufiul murky pale color, yellow…it is a thick yellow, beautiful, leaves sparse lacing. Aw, sweet tart all day on the odor, beautiful. OH WOW…SUPER tart sour, but sweet enough that it is tolerable and delicious…I understand the repuatation. Smooth as the day is long. Really really impressive, overall it is mouth puckerijngly sour while still being delicious and phenomenal. This is a great sour, sweet tarts with sourness with goodness, it is good. DDG, very unexpected to run into this at the release, but glad I did as it exceeded my expectations.

4.82/5  rDev +4.1%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to beermeX2 for sharing this one with the group! A LONG time want of mine and was really glad to see it come out during this tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured golden yellow with a half finger pure white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, BIG sour, BIG funk, tart, and fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, BIG sour, BIG tart, funk, and fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall, HOLY DUCK-FACE BATMAN!!! This thing was drop-kick your momma sour! Just the way I like it.... The fruit character in this one tries despirately to subdue the sour/tart aspect going on here, but it never stood a chance. Funk too? Hell yeah... This brew really lived up to my expectations and might have actually exceeded them slightly. Definitely a well done brew that I would love to have more of. Well done Lost Abbey.

Thanks to Chris for sharing. Are you effin kidding me? I was so surprised by this beer. He and his wife got me into sours and this was on my 'wants' list for some time. Actually it still is and will alway be on my wants list to try and share alike.

A - pours a bright yellow. White head, light lacing.

S - Not that strong. I smell some funk with hints of lemon peel and lime.

T - sweet and dry finish with some good funk and sour uppertone that takes it away and makes you want to have this again and again.

M - perfect. Level of carbonation with bubbly action throughout.

D - Sour, sour, and sour, but not off-putting at all. The lemon notes keep me interested.

O - This is a celebration beer for any good occasion.

3.48/5  rDev -24.8%

750ml bottle thanks to one of you. I came into this expecting a gueuze and I will review it as such. Bright orange color with almost no head at all but it is carbonated. Smells sour and a bit cheesy but i would not say funky at all. In fact this does not smell like a true gueuze at all. The taste was way too sweet and then followed by a sourness. The sweetness was almost like a pixie stick or sweet tart and I didn't like that aspect at all.There was some citrus and fruit but to call this a gueuze is just not being honest. As a wild ale this was ok but the price was completely out of line for the beer that is in the bottle. Save your money and get a Cantillon for half the price.

4.92/5  rDev +6.3%

Really amazing beer...without doubt, one of the best, most drinkable and complex sours I’ve tried (and I’ve had my share). Cloudy honey pour with an amazing amount of carbonation for the style producing a 1/4 inch ivory head that diminishes to a ring. Aroma of peaches, balsamic, citrus rind, and grapes. Flavor doesn’t show the typical "barnyard" qualities...instead combining tart, sweet, and fruitiness. Green apple Jolly Ranchers, lemongrass, apricot, and grapefruit...balanced and incredible.

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

750ml bottle / 2009 Vintage

A)- Pours a semi cloudy golden apricot yellow/orange color. Produced a decent white head that dissipated down to foam. Minimal lacing. It really does have a beautiful looking color.

(S)- Dry, yet a wonderful acidic sourness. Gets the back of your palette tingling with lemon tart, white grape, and oak. Im really not getting the funk on this beer but as is true with AWA its a rare thing., but just enough hay and vinegar-like earth to mesh really well together with the sour fruits.

(T)- Very similar to the smell in every way. A really nice dry, acidic lemon tart and white grape sourness. Minimal funk but a sweet oak characteristic that I cannot get over.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. It really has a beautifully balanced profile of tart acidic fruits and mellow dry earth. Its so smooth despite its sourness.

(D)- Just an absolute beer. I would have a hard time placing it in a category though. Not a true AWA. Just a wonderfully easy drinking; balanced and dynamic beer. Lost Abbey has been hit or miss for me, but I really think this is hands down their best offering. I'm going to have to get more - one of my favorite beers. Bravo Tomme.. Bravo

4.57/5  rDev -1.3%

Big thanks to Alex and Bryna for opening this up; I mentioned I'd never had it, and next thing you know, I open the fridge and there it is, on deck...

A - It pours a cloudy yellow hue, about the same shade as the bottle's label, and it is capped with a short-lived fizzy white head.

S - The nose is woody-astringent, and replete with tart citric notes, especially white grapefruit rind and lemon/lime zest. The funk is fairly acetic, with white wine vinegar notes.

T - Lemons, lime zest and a strange grassy greeness that reminds me of elderflower lead the way in terms of the flavor profile. Some apple skin and white grape are definitely there, too, as is an astringent oakiness. This brew is definitely way sour and astringent, it has a lot of acidity. It is not like what I expected, though it is quite nice; I guess I was sort of expecting something like IP, Deviation, Bottleworks X, Beatification or FF; it doesn't remind me of any of those.

M - The feel is less than medium-bodied, and is pert and puckering, drying, and then finishes mouth-watering. Enhancing.

O - A very nice brew, I am glad I had it. I would not consider it as good as IP, Deviation, FF or Bottleworks X, to name-drop a few I've had recently, but it is quite nice.

4.79/5  rDev +3.5%

Yellow and light orange appearance, broke out at the 5th party. Great aroma, just like Cable Car in my opinion, was super tart, funky, dry with no discernable fruit aroma save lemon, which is probably only an association from the tart/sour aroma.

More of the same in the taste, super dry, super sour and tart. Maybe could see some green apple adding to this one giving it the slightest dallop of sweetness, but contributing far more sour and bitter feel. Tangy, saliva inducing on every sip. And you sip ever so fast, must control self next time and let it warm even further. Wouldn't call it complex, its straightforward and pretty simple in the mouthfeel for what it is. And at $50, it isn't exactly accessible that often (aside from its limited production numbers). Astringent.

A must try for anyone who likes their sours though. But Cantillon Classic Gueze is like $16? And this is $50? Can't say it comes anywhere near being worth it based on that comparison, but should have it at least once in a blue moon (i.e. when you see it).

4.92/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle shared by newk340 at our recent La Crosse sour tasting, thanks Nick! Split with some upright BAs and poured into snifters:

A - A nice gold, orange which is darker in the center. Pretty well carbonated with a nice ring of foam and nice clouds in the middle. Lacing is really nice.

S - Really nice citrus funk. Peaches and lemon zest, apples and grape skins. Really Delicious.

T - Just a great tasting sour. Sugar patches kids with more sour. Lemon, lime, grapefruit, sour grapes and lots of sour peaches. Really great flavor and funk and pretty damn sour.

M - Tartness and sour tingle throughout. The carbonation is really nice.

O - Really tart. Pretty much perfect in the taste and smell sector. We had a lot great sours at this tasting and this was my top pick for winner. I really, really need to get a bottle for myself.

4.57/5  rDev -1.3%

750 mL bottle shared with beandip and starrdogg.

Pours a hazed golden apricot color with a delicate, wispy white head that quickly fades to a thin ring and little lacing. Almost has a pulpy, resiny texture to the appearance.

Aroma is a rich, sweet blend of lemon, grape skin, vanilla oak, grass, light funk. Sweeter than expected and not as funky, but very well balanced.

Incredibly easy drinking, initially has a mild funkiness that never turns into an oppresive barnyard funk bomb. Lemon and grass sourness appears mid palate before finishing fruity and sweeter with grapes and vanilla oak.

Lighter side of medium body with soft, fine carbonation. Finish lingers with green apple and lemon.

Well that was nice.

4.47/5  rDev -3.5%

Review #1400. Bottle purchased through Sinner's Club in 2009. Served in taster pint during the Half Acre/Pipeworks/de Struise brewday.

A - Hazed dark peach/apricot body with a quick-dissolving finger of white foam that settles to a thick ring, leaving a few splotches of lace.

S - Funky fruits, oak, acetic and lactic acidity, lemons. As it warms a touch more stone fruit, vanilla, and graham crackery malt. Too sweet to truly convince as a gueuze, but it's an excellent American Wild Ale nonetheless.

T - Taste is initially sweeter too, but it actually grows more sour as it warms up. Sharp oak mingles with lemony brett, stone fruits and lactic acidity. As the bottle drains and more yeast and sediment is introduced there is a mild yogurt character.

M - Medium bodied, with medium zesty carbonation, and a super dry and puckering finish. No alcohol is present.

D - A really enjoyable and well-crafted wild ale, but not quite as strong as Isabelle or Cable Car '09. Still - highly recommended and well worth seeking out. I understand that Isabelle would be logistically impossible to recreate, and that Cable Car is solely for Toronado, but there's no good reason why Tomme shouldn't be blending up more of this every year.

4.23/5  rDev -8.6%

On our two year anniversary (well technically two days after, I was sick), my girlfriend and I cracked this open with dinner. Poured into two snifter glasses.

A: A very pretty hazy, golden-orange body with a very small and supple white head. The dissipation was rather rapid though a thin ring stuck around throughout the entirety of evening.

S: Loads of barnyard hay are up-front, giving it a very earthy and grassy funk to it. Lemons, apricot and sweet malt vinegar notes come through mid-way. The end scent is a distinct extremely tart/sour candy aroma - pretty overpowering, nice.

T: The tartness of the beer sends your palate into immediate shock, whoa, I wasn't expecting that much! Really, a very sour beer immediately calmed only by some citrusy zest: orange and lemon, again. The finish is a puckering white grapefruit tartness - this beer screams sour through and through. Wow. Kind of sickeningly sour after a while...

M: Light, effervescent to a "t" and extremely crisp.

Well, it was wonderful to finally be able to sample this iconic beer from The Lost Abbey. I tried going into this blinded but after reading some of the other reviews, my experience seemed to differ - smarties candy? No way. Not enough sweetness or fruitiness, which I expected a lot of. This beer is definitely one to try, worth a World Class rating? Ehhh...

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey