Duck Duck Gooze - The Lost Abbey

Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze

Wants: 2,674
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers. Wild ale aged in French oak wine barrels with no fruit added.

(Beer added by: illidurit on 07-13-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duck Duck Gooze Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks Roger!
A palette cleanser for our wooden hell tasting.

Pours a beautiful hazy yellowed orange with a nice touch of white head. Got the dregs sort of of the bottle. Smells tart and sour. Very nicely funky. It's very sour but also very funky. Not like any beer ive ever had. The mouthfeel is nice and well carbonated. The sourness is pretty harsh but enjoyable. Definitely a very solid beer somewhere between a gueuze and a wild

Urbancaver, Aug 26, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

HUGE Thanks to Chad for sharing this beer with me! This has been on my WANTS for a long time. Pours a murky, golden-orange color with a small, white head that disappears quickly. Scent is oh so funky with some sweet fruit notes...peaches. Sour vinegar and lemon come at me as well. Taste is just as I was hoping. Tart fruit (peaches, green apple, lemon) with some vinous characteristics. Tons of sour and funky flavors with a nice oak backbone. Absolutely delicious! Mouthfeel is a puckering, well-carbonated, crisp masterpiece. Drinkability is very high, especially for this Fresno summer heat. Amazing beer... I would definitely need to do a side by side with Cable Car to see which one I enjoy more.

DovaliHops, Aug 23, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

750ml bottle shared with my brothers and dad to celebrate the birth of my nephew. Out of a Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

A- Beautiful straw yellow color with a very light whitish head. It is pretty golden amber and glowing in color, and a little murky.

S- I get lots of notes of green apple, lemon, and barnyardy funk. It doesn't smell terribly sour, but is certainly funky.

T- I get lots of grape skins, apple, lemon, and funk. There are notes of acidity and sourness. I get some oaky notes as well, but the whole thing is smooth and tasty. I think green apple sweet tarts was what we thought it taste with, combined with some funky tartness.

M- Perfect blend of carbonation and body. The aftertaste is great, and very pleasant. Crisp and refreshing.

O- Definitely a great beer. Not as sour or funky as I expected, but it is sooo smooth and tasty. This is one of the smoothest sour beers I've had, and is very easy to drink. Can't wait for the next release, as this is a very drinkable sour.

-GFunk

Gfunk720, Aug 20, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

A huge thanks to Andy (wedgie9) for opening this up at a mini tasting last night. Also, a massive thanks to Patrick (kingkong) for trading one of these to me which will be opened in the near future with family. Cheers to two great BA’s!

Appearance – Pours a hazy, golden color into a Lost Abbey tulip. Slight off white head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates relatively fast leaving slight lacing.

Smell – Man oh man. Tons of tart, funk up front. Wet hay/grass, musty barnyard, slight leather. Hints of vinegar, acetone, and lemons. As the beer warms nice oak characteristics emerge as well as sour fruits and granny smith apples. Wonderful.

Taste – My mouth puckers before the beer even touches my lips. Honestly, the taste is pretty spot on with the nose. Wonderful lemon flavor mixed in with the barnyard funk. The oak characteristics shine as the beer warms, as does the slight vinegar and acetone. The fruit flavors are simply fantastic, with the lemon fading to green apple, and peaches. The beer is everything I wanted it to be.

Mouthfeel – Lighter/medium bodied, slight prickly carbonation, finishes damn dry.

Overall – A wonderful beer. Very glad I was able to try this now and have one to open later. Rip on LA or TA as much as you want, but he can make some damn good sours. Simply put, one of the best beers I’ve had. The first beer of the night and the best in my opinion. Fantastic.

SpdKilz, Aug 03, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -16.7%

Foggy straw-colored pour with minimal white head. Nose is vinegary and acetic, but with a very noticeable maltiness, backed up by some wonderful cheesy funk. Flavor is quite nicely consistent with the nose. Like the nose, there is a light bready sweetness that I was not expecting. Adequate carbonation pulls everything off the palate for a great finish. Wonderful brew, but not quite ’top 5’ sour material. Certainly try it if you can.

KrautAficionado, Jul 16, 2011
4.55/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle cracked open at Hunahpu’s. A hazy shade of orange with a small white head. Sour fruits and woody nose. All kinds of things going on in here funk, lemon zest, tart citrus, and horse blanket flavors. It’s fantastic, I just can’t decide if I like it better than CC or not.

dboon, Jul 13, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured a hazy yellow color with an average frothy off-white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Moderate to heavy sour, yeast and wood aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation. Medium to heavy sour flavor with a medium to heavy sweet & sour finish of moderate to long duration. This is a standout beer for style.

tmoneyba, Jul 12, 2011

Note's from Captain Lawrence Rosso Batch 3 release / tasting:

Duck duck gooze – holy shit, DDG…here we are. Beatufiul murky pale color, yellow…it is a thick yellow, beautiful, leaves sparse lacing. Aw, sweet tart all day on the odor, beautiful. OH WOW…SUPER tart sour, but sweet enough that it is tolerable and delicious…I understand the repuatation. Smooth as the day is long. Really really impressive, overall it is mouth puckerijngly sour while still being delicious and phenomenal. This is a great sour, sweet tarts with sourness with goodness, it is good. DDG, very unexpected to run into this at the release, but glad I did as it exceeded my expectations.

cosmicevan, Jul 05, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to beermeX2 for sharing this one with the group! A LONG time want of mine and was really glad to see it come out during this tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured golden yellow with a half finger pure white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, BIG sour, BIG funk, tart, and fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, BIG sour, BIG tart, funk, and fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall, HOLY DUCK-FACE BATMAN!!! This thing was drop-kick your momma sour! Just the way I like it.... The fruit character in this one tries despirately to subdue the sour/tart aspect going on here, but it never stood a chance. Funk too? Hell yeah... This brew really lived up to my expectations and might have actually exceeded them slightly. Definitely a well done brew that I would love to have more of. Well done Lost Abbey.

thagr81us, Jun 28, 2011

Thanks to Chris for sharing. Are you effin kidding me? I was so surprised by this beer. He and his wife got me into sours and this was on my 'wants' list for some time. Actually it still is and will alway be on my wants list to try and share alike.

A - pours a bright yellow. White head, light lacing.

S - Not that strong. I smell some funk with hints of lemon peel and lime.

T - sweet and dry finish with some good funk and sour uppertone that takes it away and makes you want to have this again and again.

M - perfect. Level of carbonation with bubbly action throughout.

D - Sour, sour, and sour, but not off-putting at all. The lemon notes keep me interested.

O - This is a celebration beer for any good occasion.

Armand, Jun 28, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -24.7%

750ml bottle thanks to one of you. I came into this expecting a gueuze and I will review it as such. Bright orange color with almost no head at all but it is carbonated. Smells sour and a bit cheesy but i would not say funky at all. In fact this does not smell like a true gueuze at all. The taste was way too sweet and then followed by a sourness. The sweetness was almost like a pixie stick or sweet tart and I didn't like that aspect at all.There was some citrus and fruit but to call this a gueuze is just not being honest. As a wild ale this was ok but the price was completely out of line for the beer that is in the bottle. Save your money and get a Cantillon for half the price.

ArrogantB, Jun 06, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

Really amazing beer...without doubt, one of the best, most drinkable and complex sours I’ve tried (and I’ve had my share). Cloudy honey pour with an amazing amount of carbonation for the style producing a 1/4 inch ivory head that diminishes to a ring. Aroma of peaches, balsamic, citrus rind, and grapes. Flavor doesn’t show the typical "barnyard" qualities...instead combining tart, sweet, and fruitiness. Green apple Jolly Ranchers, lemongrass, apricot, and grapefruit...balanced and incredible.

BOLTZ7555, May 29, 2011
4.55/5  rDev -1.5%

750ml bottle / 2009 Vintage

A)- Pours a semi cloudy golden apricot yellow/orange color. Produced a decent white head that dissipated down to foam. Minimal lacing. It really does have a beautiful looking color.

(S)- Dry, yet a wonderful acidic sourness. Gets the back of your palette tingling with lemon tart, white grape, and oak. Im really not getting the funk on this beer but as is true with AWA its a rare thing., but just enough hay and vinegar-like earth to mesh really well together with the sour fruits.

(T)- Very similar to the smell in every way. A really nice dry, acidic lemon tart and white grape sourness. Minimal funk but a sweet oak characteristic that I cannot get over.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. It really has a beautifully balanced profile of tart acidic fruits and mellow dry earth. Its so smooth despite its sourness.

(D)- Just an absolute beer. I would have a hard time placing it in a category though. Not a true AWA. Just a wonderfully easy drinking; balanced and dynamic beer. Lost Abbey has been hit or miss for me, but I really think this is hands down their best offering. I'm going to have to get more - one of my favorite beers. Bravo Tomme.. Bravo

DJButters, May 24, 2011
4.58/5  rDev -0.9%

Big thanks to Alex and Bryna for opening this up; I mentioned I'd never had it, and next thing you know, I open the fridge and there it is, on deck...

A - It pours a cloudy yellow hue, about the same shade as the bottle's label, and it is capped with a short-lived fizzy white head.

S - The nose is woody-astringent, and replete with tart citric notes, especially white grapefruit rind and lemon/lime zest. The funk is fairly acetic, with white wine vinegar notes.

T - Lemons, lime zest and a strange grassy greeness that reminds me of elderflower lead the way in terms of the flavor profile. Some apple skin and white grape are definitely there, too, as is an astringent oakiness. This brew is definitely way sour and astringent, it has a lot of acidity. It is not like what I expected, though it is quite nice; I guess I was sort of expecting something like IP, Deviation, Bottleworks X, Beatification or FF; it doesn't remind me of any of those.

M - The feel is less than medium-bodied, and is pert and puckering, drying, and then finishes mouth-watering. Enhancing.

O - A very nice brew, I am glad I had it. I would not consider it as good as IP, Deviation, FF or Bottleworks X, to name-drop a few I've had recently, but it is quite nice.

ktrillionaire, May 18, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +3.9%

Yellow and light orange appearance, broke out at the 5th party. Great aroma, just like Cable Car in my opinion, was super tart, funky, dry with no discernable fruit aroma save lemon, which is probably only an association from the tart/sour aroma.

More of the same in the taste, super dry, super sour and tart. Maybe could see some green apple adding to this one giving it the slightest dallop of sweetness, but contributing far more sour and bitter feel. Tangy, saliva inducing on every sip. And you sip ever so fast, must control self next time and let it warm even further. Wouldn't call it complex, its straightforward and pretty simple in the mouthfeel for what it is. And at $50, it isn't exactly accessible that often (aside from its limited production numbers). Astringent.

A must try for anyone who likes their sours though. But Cantillon Classic Gueze is like $16? And this is $50? Can't say it comes anywhere near being worth it based on that comparison, but should have it at least once in a blue moon (i.e. when you see it).

Beerandraiderfan, May 18, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle shared by newk340 at our recent La Crosse sour tasting, thanks Nick! Split with some upright BAs and poured into snifters:

A - A nice gold, orange which is darker in the center. Pretty well carbonated with a nice ring of foam and nice clouds in the middle. Lacing is really nice.

S - Really nice citrus funk. Peaches and lemon zest, apples and grape skins. Really Delicious.

T - Just a great tasting sour. Sugar patches kids with more sour. Lemon, lime, grapefruit, sour grapes and lots of sour peaches. Really great flavor and funk and pretty damn sour.

M - Tartness and sour tingle throughout. The carbonation is really nice.

O - Really tart. Pretty much perfect in the taste and smell sector. We had a lot great sours at this tasting and this was my top pick for winner. I really, really need to get a bottle for myself.

joshuaseresse, May 16, 2011
4.58/5  rDev -0.9%

750 mL bottle shared with beandip and starrdogg.

Pours a hazed golden apricot color with a delicate, wispy white head that quickly fades to a thin ring and little lacing. Almost has a pulpy, resiny texture to the appearance.

Aroma is a rich, sweet blend of lemon, grape skin, vanilla oak, grass, light funk. Sweeter than expected and not as funky, but very well balanced.

Incredibly easy drinking, initially has a mild funkiness that never turns into an oppresive barnyard funk bomb. Lemon and grass sourness appears mid palate before finishing fruity and sweeter with grapes and vanilla oak.

Lighter side of medium body with soft, fine carbonation. Finish lingers with green apple and lemon.

Well that was nice.

yourefragile, May 15, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

Review #1400. Bottle purchased through Sinner's Club in 2009. Served in taster pint during the Half Acre/Pipeworks/de Struise brewday.

A - Hazed dark peach/apricot body with a quick-dissolving finger of white foam that settles to a thick ring, leaving a few splotches of lace.

S - Funky fruits, oak, acetic and lactic acidity, lemons. As it warms a touch more stone fruit, vanilla, and graham crackery malt. Too sweet to truly convince as a gueuze, but it's an excellent American Wild Ale nonetheless.

T - Taste is initially sweeter too, but it actually grows more sour as it warms up. Sharp oak mingles with lemony brett, stone fruits and lactic acidity. As the bottle drains and more yeast and sediment is introduced there is a mild yogurt character.

M - Medium bodied, with medium zesty carbonation, and a super dry and puckering finish. No alcohol is present.

D - A really enjoyable and well-crafted wild ale, but not quite as strong as Isabelle or Cable Car '09. Still - highly recommended and well worth seeking out. I understand that Isabelle would be logistically impossible to recreate, and that Cable Car is solely for Toronado, but there's no good reason why Tomme shouldn't be blending up more of this every year.

MasterSki, May 05, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -8.7%

On our two year anniversary (well technically two days after, I was sick), my girlfriend and I cracked this open with dinner. Poured into two snifter glasses.

A: A very pretty hazy, golden-orange body with a very small and supple white head. The dissipation was rather rapid though a thin ring stuck around throughout the entirety of evening.

S: Loads of barnyard hay are up-front, giving it a very earthy and grassy funk to it. Lemons, apricot and sweet malt vinegar notes come through mid-way. The end scent is a distinct extremely tart/sour candy aroma - pretty overpowering, nice.

T: The tartness of the beer sends your palate into immediate shock, whoa, I wasn't expecting that much! Really, a very sour beer immediately calmed only by some citrusy zest: orange and lemon, again. The finish is a puckering white grapefruit tartness - this beer screams sour through and through. Wow. Kind of sickeningly sour after a while...

M: Light, effervescent to a "t" and extremely crisp.

Well, it was wonderful to finally be able to sample this iconic beer from The Lost Abbey. I tried going into this blinded but after reading some of the other reviews, my experience seemed to differ - smarties candy? No way. Not enough sweetness or fruitiness, which I expected a lot of. This beer is definitely one to try, worth a World Class rating? Ehhh...

ShanePB, May 03, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer has a certain sentimental value to me, as my wife would attest to when I proposed. Always loved to bottle, would like to have a poster-sized picture of it. Bottle shared with a few of the Chicago crew and some Jackie O's peeps that were in town.

A - Golden orangish colored beer. A finger and a half of white foam bubbled up, leaving a little bit of lacing on the sides as it dissipated rather quickly.

S - For an American Wild, this is pretty spot on. Great funk, barn, and horse blanket. Smell is slightly vinous, with a bit of green apple. It has a great tartness to it, that balances out the funk with a perfect blend of sweet.

T - This is one of those beers that is easy to drink and wish I could drink often. Funk is present, but the tartness takes over, and combines with acetic notes to give it a drying and lighter taste which is great. Sour apple is hinted at, with some grapes, a touch of vinegar, and a little bit of oak. Great balance and flavors, about as right as you can get.

M - Healthy carbonation makes it feel lighter than its medium body. Dry finish that doesn't over do it.

O - One of my favorite American Wilds. Really can't get enough of this, and it is quite easy to drink. Alcohol is not detectable, even at a robust 7% for the style. Highly recommended, and I want more.

AgentZero, Apr 21, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +3.5%

A- Pours hazy golden yellow in color. A nice, slightly off white head that recedes ever so slightly. Some light lacing is left on my glass.

A- Wow really nice! Sour apple all the way. A nice funky twist with some lemon twist. A light hint of Chardonnay barrels. This is just really, really, nice.

T- I love it! Tart granny smith apples. A bit of oak, white grapes, and chardonnay. The bit of citrus in the nose is also present in the taste, but not as strong. Sour and funky.

M- lighter side of medium in body. Carbonation is high. Finishes dry and tart.

D- I will without a doubt, be seeking out another bottle.

biggied, Apr 12, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +3.5%

Big thanks to Slatetank for sharing this brew with a few of us on 2/13/11. Been wanting to try this one for awhile so thanks again Matt!

From a 750ml corked and caged bottle this brew pours a clear golden yellow color with a pillow of white fizzy head sitting atop. The bubbles are fairly large and the cap is supported by a constant stream of rising carbonation. This is quite an attractive looking offering that displays no haze and spotty lacework clings to the glass.

The smell of this brew is funky suggesting notes of Brett that are introduced in a pleasing way that breaks up a readily apparent indication of fruity lemon zest. The smell of this brew was an exciting surprise of lemon verse the funk I was expecting. There is seemingly no indication of alcohol to be found in this smell. It is well rounded and super enjoyable before I have even taken a sip.

The taste of this brew is quite acidic blended with notes of Brett that impart a lightly cheese-like flavor coupled with an overall funkiness. It is both tart and acidic that give an accent to the light lemon flavor that is included. The Brett is enjoyable, not too subtle that you have to search for it and not overpowering at all. The lemony aspect seemingly clings inside the mouth with nearly an oily lasting power of resines. At times this brew seems to pick up a contrasting sweetness that is revealed as I concentrate more on the lemony flavor. The blend here of flavors is enjoyable and seemingly different with every sip, awesome array of tartness, acidity and funk before the first indications of the bitey alcohol reveals itself once the brew is warm.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a moderate to high level of carbonation. Very easy drinking and enjoyable with it's tangy acidity and drying quality on the tongue. The alcohol is well integrated into this brew, it just works. Each sip has a big salivation factor to it which urged me to drink more almost carelessly without thinking about the characteristics it was offering. The only thing I can fault this beer for is it's lack of availability. I wish I could drink this on a regular basis.

stakem, Mar 02, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -3.7%

A - golden blonde with a tiny film of white head that eventually just recedes to a thin ring. Looks inviting.

S - Sour green apples, lemon citrus, orange fruity esters are big. Huge aroma that hangs around.

T - Sharp lemon, grass, vinegar with plenty of those fruity esters found in the aroma. Begins with lots of dry citrus, then is met in the m iddle with sweet apple and finishes dry with some more tart fruit and vinegar. Lovely balance of fruit and sour.

M - Medium bodied with a great carbonation pop which feels very effervescent on the tongue but not overwhelming whatsoever.

D - The hanging citrus & vinegar is going to fade my palate quickly as my throat is already filled with super tart lemony vinegar.

drewba, Mar 02, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

Really enjoyed this one. Pours a nice golden color, quite clear and bubbly. Quality head. Super citrusy sour with a nice funk and malt presence. Strong work Arthur, right up there with 3F and Cantillon.... Could enjoy this beer anytime. Near perfect.

rye726, Feb 21, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

I was looking forward to trying this for a while -thanks to Maltzilla for the trade. Poured cooler than cellar temp from the 750ml into a cervoise.

The color is clear golden with thick bone white cap with a very tight formation of beading to make up the head - the clarity is good enough to see carbonation rising steadily and the lace sticks to the glass - the head settles to a ring of about 1/4 inch high. The aroma of fruit emanates from the glass with a very vinous odor -white grape and mild honeydew with a slight hint of golden delicious apple brings out the sweet notes from the malt along with the tart qualities of the wild yeast - some mild wood and light sour fragrance comes forward with mild lemony aspect -but a tropical nose emerges and seems to add more floral and light herbal notes to the nose. The feel is great -exeptional and has a moderately strong sour element with assertive but not bitter quality-mildly dry with citrus juiciness and lots of puckering tinges but not over the top or harsh, a very gentle sweetness cushions the tanginess and sour elements well.

The flavors are citrusy with orange and lemonade puckering taste yet there is a light dry taste w/ mild wood and gentle lactic accents. The taste of the wood gives a dry flavor with light lemony acidity following and subtle oak w/ hints of white grape combine to give a mild astringent edge to the smooth malt and fruit from the yeast- the green grape and hints of bitter citrus blend with the tannic flavor from the wood as it finishes. There is an almost peachy floral and tropical sweetness in the background which is very pleasant and adds to the complexity of the barrel to offset some of the dry elements in the taste. Duck Duck Gooze is as good as I remember from having it at Extreme Beer Fest 2 years ago -it may even be better - the beer has a lot of complexity and wonderful flavors for a 5% wild ale- this was very memorable and well worth the effort to acquire - I wood seek this out again.

Slatetank, Feb 15, 2011