Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Duck Duck Gooze - The Lost Abbey

Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze

Wants: 3,207
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: illidurit on 07-13-2009

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.
Reviews: 255 | Hads: 1,508
4.2/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From 750 mL bottle to tulip glass

Straw-yellow in color, clear and effervescent. The nose is distinct notes of citric acid and vinegar with a touch of honey sweetness lingering. The flavors are sharply sour at the front, with unraveling notes of citrus and unripe fruit, perhaps apple. Bubbly and light on the palate, especially for the ABV. Notes of pepper toward a short, citrusy finish.

A refreshing, compelling ale, but not as well-rounded as the first release, and not as good as the hype or the price would lead you to think. There are plenty of other sour brews with more depth and complexity. This probably could use a year or two in the cellar as well.

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

We'll, finally I'm at 500 reviews! I had thought about what I would rate for my 500th review and I love the Lost Abbey sours so it was nice that this highly anticipated beer came out just around the time I was close to 500 reviews.

I got to try this beer on tap at the Stone Sour Fest 09. This was the only beer I actually went back for a 2nd time.

The duck is a pale, hazy, yellow color with a good inch of foam. Good head retention and soapy lacing on the sides of the glass.

Light cheese and funk on the nose, a bit oak buttery and popcorn aroma, lemon and tart citrus fruits. Not as funky or sour as I was hoping for but still nice.

Now, the taste is a bit better than the aroma, more of what I expected. Cheese upfront, brett, lemon, leather, and hay. Medium acidity with some vinegar on the finish. Semi-dry with still a touch of malt sweetness. More leathery flavors with each sip, oak and vanilla, more fruity as well. To me this tastes more like a 2 year old lambic, it's not a traditional gueuze in that it's a 1, 2, and 3 year old blend of the same beer. I heard this beer has some 1, 2, not sure on 3 year old beer but supposedly there is a beer blended in here that is older than three years. Good carbonation and creamy on the palate with some body from the sweetness. Nice dry finish.

I think this one will age very well and get drier and funkier as the years go by. Looking forward to having a pint and buying some bottles of this at the upcoming release.

4.97/5  rDev +10%

Giant thanks to auroracrisis for sending me this way back when. Finally got a chance to open it with the right people.

Pours a clear golden color with a bubbly white head. As soon as the yeast gets kicked up, the pours become hazy.

Sour without being vinegary, acidic and fruity. Light funk...just amazing...

The taste is mindblowing. Again, it's sour without being vinegary, fruity and citric, very acidic and mouthpuckering. Light funk. Lemons and tart green apples.

Mouthfeel is light with a sharp acidity. Fine carbonation. Excellent all the way around. Drinkability is perfect.

This might be better than Isabelle, but I'd have to do a side by side to be sure. I really can't think of anything to make this better, but I can't rate it perfect so I suppose it could look a little better (better head, more lacing, etc). This might be the closest to perfect that I ever have in a beer.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry and good carb.

Overall an amazing beer. Can't wait till it comes out again.

4.66/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

'09 750 poured into a Crooked Stave snifter. Tomme told me to crack this one soon, so I did. Here is what I think about it.

Appearance: Golden, minimal lacing. Carbonation still holding up. Probably 1/4 carbonation that it had in '09. Looks great.

Smell: Sour lemon, sour apple, lacto, minimal brett I would assume. Very encouraging for an American Sour>Gueuze attempt.

Taste: Follow smell with tart lemon with background sour apple. I have never had this fresh, this is the only time that I have had it; and I feel like it could last a few years more. Tomme said this was turning to acid, but mine tastes fine. Barnyard funk.

Mouthfeel: Feels like the style. A little wax coats the mouth like Saint Louis Fond Tradition does. Probably 1/4 as much wax as St. Louis Fond Tradition. Really pleasant mouthfeel. I am enjoying this right now on July 4th.

Overall: I have heard many people say that this beer is turning into acid, but perhaps their techniques in storing has been an issue with their bottle. This bottle tasted like it was about 2 years old. If you have stored your correctly I think you have another 2-3 years before it goes bad. I wish I would have had this news prior to me opening my only bottle; but I am very glad to have had this delicious brew.

4.94/5  rDev +9.3%

Seriously one of the best beers ever. Glad I got a bottle.

Pours a golden color with a nice thin head. Dissapated to a ring. Nice lacing.

Aroma is amazing. Very oaky and funky. Little bit of malt.

Taste is perfect. Nice oak and sour balance. Not too sour but nice. Perfect flavor.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry and good carb.

Overall an amazing beer. Can't wait till it comes out again.

3.43/5  rDev -24.1%

Rating from last summer, I've heard this may have turned the corner but I don't know that first hand so I'm sticking with my original rating.

From a bottle, thanks to radhoesbro. Pours a faintly hazy apricot with a meager head. Nose is a bit salty, with some very distinguishable round, fruit tones I find in most Lost Abbey sours. Nice, but nothing explosive. Kind of a peachy, apricot aroma. Flavor is initially quite salty, which is my overall complaint with Veritas 004, but it quickly melds into a nice progression into a full peachy note. Quite sour and tart with that integrated, round yeast I find in their light sours time and again. Carbonation is medium and is good for the style. Nice, one of the best from Lost Abbey I've had.

EDIT - This beer is a mess as of April, 2011. I think I was overrating it to begin with. Compared to some better peaches it's completely one-dimensional and has a really flat flavor profile. Acidity has taken over, as it does with most Lost Abbey light sours.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to Dyan for sharing this one. This one is number 25 in the tasting. Number 16 of day 2. Tried as part of a side-by-side with Isabelle Proximus.

Lightly colored, like a golden hazy straw color. This is missing some of the bubbles and champagne-like nucleation that I really enjoy in my wilds.

The nose is packed with yeasty sourness and funk. Lots of Belgian cheese and a lemony citric acid aroma. A white pepper spice is in there as well, backed nicely by a touch of cloves that serve to augment rather than steal the spotlight from the pepper. The palate brings long a yeasty sourness and funk as opposed to the bacterial sourness of a true geuze. Lemongrass, hay, citric acid, and that cheesy funk pack the flavor. There is a fleeting sweetness that seems to threaten at reigning in the sourness, but then thinks better of it.

Very acidic and mouth puckering, the sourness makes my tongue recoil initially. Very light and enjoyable with that nice spritzy feel that wilds provide so readily. I will need to cleanse my palate with some Pecorino Toscano before moving on.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks go to either route66pubs or bret27 for this! (I did two trades for DDG and I am not entirely certain whose bottle I opened!) Shared with newtonty on my back deck on this gorgeous late summer day.

Pours a slightly hazy peach with yellow highlights. An average white, fizzy head was there for a minute, but disappeared, leaving a small white halo. Settling must have occurred as it sat in my cellar, because the more we drank, the cloudier the pours got.

The nose is big and complex on this one! I get a mix of band aid astringency, sour granny smith apples, sour peaches, fresh, sweet honey and tangerine. There's also a tobacco quality and some wood in it. Wow! To me, the peach is the most assertive flavor in the nose and it does smell puckering!

Wow, where to start! Puckering mix of band aids, peach, tangerine and honey again! My college graduate level vocabulary can't give this beer justice. Leathery/woody finish on this one... Just amazingly unique!

The body is light and the flavor is full. I get a film of bitterness on my tongue after sipping! Big complex and fantastic! One of my top 3 favorite beers of 2009!

Edit: Here is a snap of it!

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%

Many thanks to Greg for opening a bottle of this at his tasting! From notes on 1/16.

Pours a kind of hazy yellowish peach color with a good amount of wispy white foam. Leaves some abstract lacing.

Very complex nose. Lots going on here varying from musty bales of hay and leathery notes down low to brighter fruity flavors of tart citrus and granny smith apples on the surface. Some more rich funkiness is evident as it warms and presents itself in a dirty gym sock kind of way. A bit of damp wood, moderate acidity prefacing what's to come.

Initial sharp tartness leads to a good bretty funk mid palate. Some sweet fruitiness is evident which helps ease the acidity, though not by much at all. Lemon zest and a little buttery wood. Like if you toasted a piece of oak as if it were bread, then spread a light layer of butter on it. Anyway, it ends pretty dry.

A very nice level of carbonation makes this brew even more pleasing to the palate and begs for another sip. I would drink a bottle of this every week or so if I had a couple people around to share a bottle. DDG is by no means an introductory sour, but the flavor really isn't too intense. I was digging the aroma much more. Having said that, this beer is pretty...pretty....pretty good. I look forward to seeing how it develops with a little time.

4.7/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A snow day treat!

A: Golden with a slight orange tint to it and with only a minimal amount of cloudiness present. It pours a decent amount of carbonation that is champagne like but still leaves a nice ring which hangs around the edge of the glass

S: Nice lemon, grape and pear tartness to start with maybe a hint of sour green apple. Light funkiness and a nice oaky and earthy essence.

T: The tart fruitiness is certainly the starting point but lends very nicely with a subtle sweet oak wood note and vanilla. There is a nice earthy feel that provides a pleasant mustinss. The tart fruitiness reminds me of sweet lemonade mix with pears and sour green apple. This one was really well done

M: A slightly prickly feel and a mild booziness the body is very light and there is no vinegar taste to it

D: This is a great sour that i would love to drink on a regular basis. It is loaded with complexities and quenches my thirst at the same time

4.74/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A-Pours a bright golden yellow with a thin lace that dissipates into a thin outer lace.

S- sweet lemon and with some deep funk.

T- follows the nose really well. Has a real nice juicy taste. Like i'm drinking a sweet juice followed by a strong funk that completely covers your mouth. Then there is a sweetness on the back end that finishes the beer perfectly.

M- fully bodied and sour. Brings your mouth to a pucker.

O- a very delicious brew. Perfectly balanced between sour and sweet. So glad i got to try this.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Wow, this stuff is great. One of the best new beers I've had in 2009. Split a bottle with abfraser last night. Beautiful straw/lemon/golden color with an inch of white head. Very tart, green apple, citrus, slight funk, acidic. Medium dryness and astringency. Slight sweetness, but this really strikes the right balance of dryness. Love this stuff. Wish I had half a case of it to age.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to Devin for the bottle! I've been wanting to try this for quite some time.

Duck Duck Gooze pours a clear, light-orange with a thin white head on top. Good lacing left behind. Looks great for an American Wild.

Lots of sour mustiness on the nose. Hay and acidity with a faint hint of ethanol. Peaches and light fruits. Touch of vinegar and white grape. Strong and enjoyable. One the best wild ale aromas I've had the pleasure of nosing.

Peach, pear and apple enveloped in a wave of nice sourness on the tongue. A decent vinegar burn lingers on the finish. Very juicy and acidic, mixed with sweet malts. The flavor profile is great. The balance between fruitiness and sourness is very good. I feel like this going to get pretty acidic in another year or so, but at the moment it's like sour liquid candy.

Mouthfeel has a really nice sour kick to it. Smooth long burn on the finish. Perfect carbonation. Very smooth, almost slippery. Well done.

This is a very drinkable wild. The sourness is starting to become more intense, which makes this more of a sipper, but a sipper that is full of complexity and great flavor. This is most definitely one of the best sour beers I have ever had, especially from an American brewery. Really a must for all sour heads. I can't wait for the next release. Great job Lost Abbey.

4.99/5  rDev +10.4%

DDG 2013 into Tulip served at about 45 degrees. Finally getting around to my first bottle since release.

Pours a deep gold color with medium to small white head that leaves a good amount of lacing on the sides of the glass after dissipating to a small crown atop the WELL carbonated liquid contents.

Aroma on this is freshly squeezed lemon juice, peach, grape, passion fruit, a touch of earthiness/mustiness, and a faint floral note much like rose petals. The nose on this is just as inviting as any Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen that have traversed my nasal cavity.

The taste brings sweet lemon, astringent white grape, peach, and hay upfront with lemon warheads from the middle to back of the tongue. Sweet orange balanced by sour pucker and a slight bitterness for the finale. So much balance!

Mouthfeel is perfect. A heavier side of light body with the perfect amount of carbonation. It makes this so drinkable for a sour.

Overall. This is world class. Period. The balance present in this is what makes it so phenomenal. Im a fan of bold flavors, balance, and drinkability in any beer style. This is the epitome of those three descriptors summed up in the American Wild Ale style. This is ready to drink now. NOW! More sourness may appeal to some, but not me. The bottle is almost done. All by myself in less than an hr and a half. I'm in love...

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage
Best smelling sour I've encountered...just a white grape/wine bomb
Taste is not far behind-tons of light fruity, tart funky character...easy drinking

4.19/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2009 bottle drank today. Nice golden color with a little bit of head/carbonation. Little bit of funk. Lot of acidity. A definite lemony presence on the palate. Very good overall. Solid, well-crafted beer with no major flaws as far as I can tell.

4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

Big thanks to mikedashg for sending me a bottle. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a hazy, apricot color. Almost has a glowing aura surrounding it. There was half fingers width of white head, but it dissipated instantaneously.

S- Pretty spectacular. Has a vinegar like characteristic. Wet horse blanket and hay are noticeable. Some leather, oranges and lemon in there as well. Smelled like a barnyard on a citrus farm.

T- The initial sip reminds me of RR's Temptation. A very tart, white grape flavor explodes on the palate. Immediately, an oak flavor starts to kick in. Then it gets a little interesting...the back end takes on a citrus, lemon tartness that has a slightly sweet, honey like quality to it. Can't exactly put my finger on it, just not what I expected. Almost had a flanderesque type finish.

M- Light to medium bodied. Could have used a little more carbonation.

D- Given the lack of sourness in this beer, it's pretty smooth and easy to drink.

Overall, not what I was expecting. The initial sip was pretty tart and I was expecting for that to continue, maybe even intensify. However, that didn't happen and the finish to the beer was a little too weird for me with the subtle sweetness I was picking up. It's a well made beer, but as a person that craves sours every now and then, this definitely doesn't satisfy my fix. For a $30 price tag, I'd much rather stick to Cantillons, which are cheaper and better IMO.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Sour funky and incredible I had this poured to me be Tomme Arthur himself at the Belgian Beer Fest back in October 2009. I had at least 4 rounds of this so I know it was good.

Lemon tart and puckering I wish this were more atainable and made regulary. I can also see why it might not. I was so impressed that I tradeded for a bottle that I have yet to open. I may have to review it in the latter style.

This is one great brew !!

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottle shared by hoppypocket. Glowing orange-yellow with a small ring of foam. Aroma is oaky, tropical fruits such as oranges and pinneaples. Honey and cheese adds a welcomed layered of complexty. Taste has lots of acetic acid, citrus and musty bread. Medium carbonation and deliciously dry. A very good hybrid between a gueuze and a saison.

3.05/5  rDev -32.5%

Thanks to reDUBBELFIST for sharing this at the Philly BA Meetup at TJ's earlier this summer.

This beer is a very pale, hazy straw yellow with a very slight ring of egg shell foam. The beer smells wild and bretty with a little fresh lemon. The beer starts out pleasantly sour and tart with good lemon and green apple flavors, but the finish is pure viengar. The viscous, mouth-coating, saliva-stripping, mouth pucker acidity. It is a combination of astrigent (like biting into underripe apples) and vinegar was very unappealing. This beer is wildly drying for a liquid. This is an okay beer, not the worst sour I've ever had, but it does not live up to the hype at all. I'm glad to have gotten to try it, but it's nothing I would actively seek out again.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to jammalamma for sharing this bottle, poured into a mini goblet. The beer pours a golden dark yellow color with a thin white cap that quickly fades to a tight ring around the top of the glass, leaving almost no lacing.

The smell is funky. Hay, cheese, musty old oak barrel and zesty lemon sour are the headliners on this one. There is a brief cameo by some sweet fruits (maybe melon or that one sweet bite of green apple) before it returns to lemon juice and sourness.

The taste is just like the smell. Lemon zest, funky oak and hay, green apples, just SOUR. This beer finishes even more sour than it starts, and just brings funk and sour from the first smell to the last taste, really impressively consistent in that regard.

The beer is light bodied, well carbonated, very tart and crisp and has a great dry finish. The alcohol is never present, the sour notes take it to the limit on this one and come to a point where they are almost too harsh, but they never get there. This is a very good wild ale, something I can't wait to revisit.

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Review #250.

Hazy lemony yellow pour. Just a swirl of foam, with some bubbles around the edges.

Sour, oaky, funky aroma. Really nice. I'm smelling some tart lemon, and maybe even some green apple.

Flavor follows. Big sour character, but it's not too much. It's delicious, but I will say that it's no Ithaca Brute. The sweetness, acidity, and barrel qualities meld excellently.

Light body, carbonation level is right on the money. Make your own Lost Abbey jokes here. Ridiculously easy drinker for a sour.

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle sharred with 4 other BA's, Big thanks to Kevin for bringing this beer.

2009 vintage.

A- Pours a Brown golden straw color, absolutely no carbonation at all, really hazy.
S- Really mellow aroma, cardboard, slight notes of fruit, peach, apricot, lemon, nothing really comes out in the aroma overall, slight acidic notes, sour, the nose was a little disappointing.
T- The taste was the complete opposite, really acidic, love the strong sour notes that come out, really puckering, apricot, vinegar, sour grape skin, nice taste.
M- Really dry, medium mouth feel, no carbonation, nice puckering taste.
O- Very impressed with this beer, this has been on my top wants for some time, love the acidity, and the fruity notes that come out, would love to have another opportunity to drink this beer.

4.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this at the Epic Bottle Share at TG. Still have my bottle in the cellar which I am now more excited to drink than ever!!! Sooooo smooth and just the right amount of Tart.

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks jmu500...I owe you one! Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a small brandy snifter. Pours a slightly hazy(when yeast and setiment is swirled and poured in) pale shade of gold/yellow. Very small white head that dissapates almost imediately. In this glass, there isn't much lacing, just random thin and fizzy bubbles that slid quickly.

What a great aroma! Lots of brett characteristics, funky sourness...oak, and a lemon crispness. No booze to speak of in the nose.

Tastes just like it smells! Tart up front, oak and lemon...like lemon juice. The second wave is slightly sweet, but finishes quickly with a nice dry sourness that leaves a great tart long lasting aftertaste. Wow what a great beer! Light body, mid to high carbonation...but perfect!

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey