Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Duck Duck Gooze - The Lost Abbey

Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze

Wants: 3,169
The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: illidurit on 07-13-2009

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.
Reviews: 254 | Hads: 1,489
4.14/5  rDev -7.8%

750 mL bottle poured into a wine glass.

Appearance - Hazy orange. Small white head with a thin collar.

Smell - Orangey citrus acid aroma. A hint of vinegar creeping up in the back.

Taste - Bright citrusy sour. Orange sourness. Vinegar is less intense, but still faint in the back. Very intense sour finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation. Very sour.

Overall - Extremely sour and it probably covers up any complexity. Thankfully the flavors it has are quite good. (468 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've had this a couple of times now, last time a bottle I split with my wife. Just a fantastic brew, and everything I was looking for in the style. Sure, its still on the young side and exhibits more of the acetic and lactic notes than it does the barnyard at this juncture, but I like that too. Really its a matter of taste. The analogy that comes to mind is that of a soft, washed rind cheese- do you like it ripe, runny, and rank, or do you like it a little firmer, slightly sour, and just a bit piquant? Same with wild ales for me. I like them both ways, and I think one can have a classic in either maturity level. This particular beer is a classic for me in the younger, tarter vein. This pours a hazy yellow with a thin wispy head that sticks around. Smells beautifully balanced with sour acetic, lactic, and bright fruit- the fruit components showcase orange, tangerine, and muscat. Just beautiful. The taste has a long lactic finish, bright citrus, and some light funk coupled with nice firm tannins from the oak. The mouthfeel is lactic and punchy with enough tannins to give some structure to the sour fruit. Great beer, and a testament to what Lost Abbey can do when eveerything goes well. (1,201 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

750ml bottle courtesy of javib458, thanks man!

Pours a hazy, dark deep golden yellow color with lighter golden ripe banana hues when held to a light source and a 1.5 finger frothy white head tat slowly fades into a lasting cap.

Earthy funk aroma with lots of awesome horseblanket barnyard notes. Slightly lactic with a nice light fruit presence. I'm picking up some light strawberry notes along with some vinegar and earthy oak.

Tart and very puckering with some strong acidity. Lots of barnyard horseblanket funk with some nice golden fruit notes. Apple, pear, white grape and some strawberry and cream. Extremely dry and sour and very refreshing. Nice earthy oak presence with subtle vanilla characteristic. Pretty well balanced with pleasant light fruit nuances that counter the extremely sour funky notes. Bone dry sour puckering finish. Actually pretty drinkable after the initial palate shock. Probably not worth the $30 price tag but still very good. Recommended. (973 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.6%

Bottle shared by Overlord. Thanks Mike. I've had this on tap a couple times but have yet to open a bottle of my own. Consumed on a nice day in Carlsbad on 11/03/2009 and poured into a snifter. The beer appears cloudy tangerine orange with a two finger white head and great retention.

The nose is musty barnyard, cheese, and wet leather accompanied by orange and lemon. There's moderate acidity in the aroma, as well as notes of oak. Wow. The combination of citrus and funk is outstanding. There's moderate lactic character.

The taste is acidic tart lemon and orange with a moderate lactic sourness. Brett provides mustiness, moderate funk, and a decided cheese quality to the beer. The tart citrus is delicious. Oak is evident. I enjoyed this bottle immensely more than I enjoyed my tap sample. The finish is acidic citrus with a lingering tartness and lactic sourness. This stuff is killer, and so damn drinkable. I'd venture to say this is one of my favorite American Wild Ales and a marvel of blending. Highly recommended. This beer deserves the Gold Medal it won at GABF 2009. (1,083 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Have tried this beer on several occasions, so figured I might as well review it. It's beers like this that convince I'm just not much of a sour lover.

The beer pours a golden amber color with very good retention and considerable lacing. The nose is pretty one dimensional in my opinion, though if you're a sour lover, I guess it's great. I r eally pick up considerable lemon lime, but with some noticeable vinegar as well. It's a presage of what's to come on the palate, as I get mouth stingin lemon and lime acidity, albeit with some noticable underlying grape as well. Still, the sour component really dominates in this beer, and it's almost painful drinking this. Mouthfee lis medium bodied at most, with a long, sour, acidic finish. Alcohol is very well integrated into the flavor profile, and so if sours are your bag, I'm sure you'd be in heaven with this stuff.

Have had this several times now, and I'm able to appreciate it more than I first did when I sampled it with some friends in DC years ago, but this still is just too much sour for my palate to handle. That being said, this is always a fun and interesting beer to sample, and it's amazing the amount of flavor it delivers. (1,191 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to Floydster for this corked and caged 750 mL bottle. Shared with ksak and frederickTbunky.

A: The wild ale is a golden peach color, hazy even before that last pour. Said last pour added a turbid layer of yeast into the equation. The head never amounted to much more than a thin band.

S: The nose is very acidic, sharp and sour. Lemon and citrus aromas are strong, as are the horseblanket scents. The ale has a lactic dryness that is evident even here.

T: I was rather surprised that the first sip wasn't nearly as sour as the nose led me to believe. Rather, sweeter fruits lead off. Peach and apricot, in particular, set the stage for a mild citric sourness that takes over the last half of each sip. The ale's carbonation, paired with the sourness, is very prickly and hot on the tongue. The lactic aromas in the nose are out in full force, leaving my mouth very dry.

M: The mouthfeel runs from fruity sweet to sour to very dry in just a few seconds. The complexity kept me coming back for more and the prickly carbonation was intriguing.

D: More, please. A serious wild ale that really nails it. (1,110 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml 2013 bottle into a snifter.

pours a cloudy dark yellow with an inch thick head. smell is acidic and lemony .. vinegary. the taste is absolutely perfect. the sourness is not too strong and not too light. perfect flavor. I'd never guess red wine barrels but its so smooth. literally perfect gueuze.. medium carbonation and medium bodied.

overall my new favorite gueze (374 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 bottle opened 2014 in celebration of the birth of Evelyn Marie Guercio.

A - Bright gold body. Fine white head settles quickly into a thin halo. Low lace. Nice effervescence in the glass.

S - Round, super smooth nose. Tart green apple skins, white grapes, sweet wonder bread, tangerine, touch of salt, lemon zest. Soft sourness makes your mouth water.

T - Soured apple puree, sharp sour lemons, spiced pears, orange zest, Riesling, savory spice, oak, and yellow raisin. Salt and vinegar chips on the finish.

M - Silky smooth, medium-full body with an outstanding, absolutely show-stopper finish. The beer simply does not die out at all, lingering for ages your palate.

O - Awesome flavor, stellar balance, surprisingly smooth, and possibly the best finish of any beer I've ever had. Truly world class. (811 characters)

4.36/5  rDev -2.9%

Opened at TN whales tasting 3/16/2013. Thanks to myself for finally opening this.

Pours a hazy orange without much head.

This is hard to review for me because it's actually pretty one dimensional. Very sour/acidic, bright dry apple/grape, delicious but not super complex. Very dry and acidic going down.

Excellent for what it is but not as good as a top Belgian gueuze and not as good as Izzy or some of the other best CA sours.

8.8/10 (439 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +3.3%

Consumed at the lost abbey on 2/27/10 on the day of the carnavelle release party.

A: poured a murky golden yellow with a thin white head and a little sticky lacing on the glass.

S: huge citric lemon aroma with hints of oaky barrel funk, viinegar, and apples as well.

T: beautiful puckering sour lemon flavor that is pretty intense with oaky apple notes that make the beer quite acidic.

D: I love sour beers and this one is definitely one of my favorites that has a great sour punch and great flavor to back it up. I really hope I can get more of this sour elixer. (567 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

On tap at BBF. Had to get me a few of these.

Pours a lightly hazed yellowish golden, thin white head forms, settles down to a thin ring rather quick, leaves a few spots on the glass, looks nice.

Smell is great, very sour and oaky, vinegar, lemons, honey, sour fruit, apples, a bit of barnyardy funk and some nice barrel character, charred wood, nice nose.

Taste is great to, lots of sourness and acidity, oaky, sour fruit, malty middle, a touch of honey, a bit acetic, has a nice bite going down, some funkiness, very sour in the finish.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium to high carbonation, very drinkable, great acidic backbone, and I thought very drinkable. (669 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

750ml corked and caged bottle.

A nice pop when I removed the cork and I see the foam oozing from the bottle. A nice cloudy orange coloured brew with over a 1 finger head of foam. Yes!

Taking a few whiffs, this certainly smacks of an American Wild Ale that is of the sour variety. Huge sourness greets my nosebuds...I'm geting mostly grapes(I'm guessing they are bringing some sweet tones as well cuz there is definitely some sweetness here) but also green apples tartness and some notes of citrus fruits.... with a healthy yeasty note and if your whiffs are deep, you can smell the oak aging for yourself. In other words, the smell is outrageously good and implies an equallly good taste. We shall see.

First sip and the sour starts things off very nicely. Green apples, grapes, citrus bitterness, some fruity sweet tones, yeasty, and slightly funky?? wow. Love the flavours here and the sourness intensifies greatly when you swish the beer in your mouth. And..in between all that, a bit harder to detect but it is there, is an oaky goodness. The second pour sems to bring out more of that oak aging but it certainly isn't a dominant feature. No problem. What I'm tasting the most pleases me to no end.

The mouthfeel just creeps over into medium territory and the carbonation is light but perfect for this brew. This sucker is silky smooth. And you know what? Head retention and lacing are superb!

Drinkability? No sign of the abv and quite frankly, I didn't "expect" any as most of the style are in the reasonable alcohol content department. That being said, this is so easy to drink for me, it makes me shudder. I'm so glad I opted to buy this, being a Sinners Club member. So many positives and so few negatives. Are there any? Fantastic brew!! (1,752 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +6.7%

Yellow and light orange appearance, broke out at the 5th party. Great aroma, just like Cable Car in my opinion, was super tart, funky, dry with no discernable fruit aroma save lemon, which is probably only an association from the tart/sour aroma.

More of the same in the taste, super dry, super sour and tart. Maybe could see some green apple adding to this one giving it the slightest dallop of sweetness, but contributing far more sour and bitter feel. Tangy, saliva inducing on every sip. And you sip ever so fast, must control self next time and let it warm even further. Wouldn't call it complex, its straightforward and pretty simple in the mouthfeel for what it is. And at $50, it isn't exactly accessible that often (aside from its limited production numbers). Astringent.

A must try for anyone who likes their sours though. But Cantillon Classic Gueze is like $16? And this is $50? Can't say it comes anywhere near being worth it based on that comparison, but should have it at least once in a blue moon (i.e. when you see it). (1,038 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +8.5%

Corked and caged bottle obtained in a trade with dagspaceyo, thanks Daniel! I've been waiting for a special occasion to pop it open, but today just felt right. Just returned from NYC, watching the second Packers/Vikings game of the 2009 season at home and waiting for some beer stew to be ready (cooked with 2yr old Bell's Third Coast Old Ale).

DDG is hazy golden colored, very translucent but no floaties (at least in the first pour), with about 1 finger of bright white foam. Some rivulets of lace on the glass.

The aroma is perfect, tart citrus that smells like it came from Brussels. This has all of the best flavors of a wild ale, horseblanket, old leather, and dank basement. It doesn't sound good but it's exactly what I wanted in this beer. The smell of lemons and pineapples brightens it up a bit, this has definite promise.

On the first taste I'm instantly in Brugges, drinking lambics and gueuze in the main square. This is tart and fruity, absolutely perfect. Abrasive and tasty, strong influence from brettanomyces, this is the SHIT. The label states that this is ale aged in oak barrels, but as so often happens with Cantillon and other sour beers from Belgium I have a hard time discerning wood flavors through the bracing sour presence of the beer.

This is about as drinkable as any wild ale can be, the complexity of the flavor keeps me returning to the glass. At only 7% ABV I'd pop another bottle if I had it. Absolutely recommended, I'm completely thankful for the chance to try it. (1,507 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle shared by Joe - much obliged!

Pours a hazy yellowish-golden color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of large amounts of funk - wet hay and leather - with good amounts of light malts and wheat twang. Also present are moderate amounts of tart light citrus aromas and very faint vanilla from the oak.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Light malt and wheat twang flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by large amounts of funk. Midway through the sip moderately tart light citrus flavors with hints of lemon pith work their way into things. The funk come backs in full force to carry through to a crisp and mildly tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this is a phenomenal beer that could be confused with the real thing from Belgium. Well worth a shot if you can get your hands on it. (1,017 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared with JLindros and company at the last whale tasting. Reviewed from notes. Think this was an 09 vintage.

A - Poured into my Kate the Great tulip a hazy straw hue with a sudsy head that fades to a thin blanket. Nice light lacing here.

S - Super, super sour tart funk. Big, tart lemons with lots of oak barrel. Some nice green apple notes too. Oh wow!

T - TONS of green apples here, tart, tart sour green apple sinks as well. Lemons and green apples with good earthy notes as well along with light oak.

M - Mouthfeel is super tart and delicious. Never really puckering, but almost mind shattering dry.

O - Overall this was an exceptional bottle. So glad I got to try this little slice of heaven. (704 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into a Rochefort glass.

The beer is honey gold with a touch of orange. The head is white rising a finger and lasting only briefing with ligh lacing.

The aroma is pretty light for a wild ale with mostly a light sour funk to it. Its on its way to being a crazy strong horse blanket but jusn't get you there. Some might like the lighter aroma as it won't turn them off, but I was looking for a tad bit more pugency. At the end there is some light wood.

For the reasons I didn't like the aroma a ton, I love the taste. It is sour enough to give me the pucker and sensations that I love about wild ale but its just light enough to make it very drinkable. The biggest complaint is that the flavor isn't complex just sour through and through.

Mouthfeel is heavy and great drinkability.

Overall this is an excellent ale and great beer overall. If you love sours this is one you have to search out. (927 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -1.6%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: golden yellow with minimal foam head on top

smell: tart, sour, apples, funk,

taste: sour, funk, apples,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: this is an awesome american wild ale. wish I had more so I could share this with more east coast friends.

Cheers,
the CPJ (316 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I shared a bottle at the epic tasting this past weekend.

The pour is hazy yellow with a thin white head with great retention and lacing. The nose is outstanding with a big, cheesy funk, citrus sourness and grassy hay. Floral with a touch of honey (minus the sweetness), I get a little lemongrass too. With white pepper and a little clove, this is a great smelling beer.

The palate is intense. Massively sour with plenty of lemongrass, orange juice, grass, hay and quite a bit of cheese, this beer is moderately musty. Mild pepper and clove mid-palate, the mild sweetness in the mid-palate (that I recall even the draft version having) is present. Finishing long and fantastic with an intense citrus sourness and a moderately grassy character, this is an enjoyable, drinkable take on one of my favorite styles.
Original scores: 4.5/4.5/4/4.5/4.5

**Edit 16 Sept 2011**
I shared a bottle the other night. This is just not very good,. Overly acetic with the signature Lost Abbey fruity vinegar, with champagne vinegar, this is one note, has no funk and has a moderate acetone character, despite being cellared correctly. Disappointing (for the hype), I'm updating my scores to reflect this.

**Edit 01 July 2012**
I shared this at the mega Lost Abbey tasting. It appears that there's a ton of bottle variation here. The nose is fatty, rancid,moderately funky and again, not acetic. Sweeter, more lactic sourness with a touch of acetic. Sourness is intense, but there's also some fruity flavors with kiwi and unripe peaches. Solid, enjoyable.
3.5/3.5/3.5 (1,553 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a tulip. 7.0% ABV, no date.

Big thanks to "King of Beers" sweemzander for busting this, among quite a few others to come, out for a night of epic proportions!

A - Beautiful lightly hazy goldenrod color with a low but persistent off-white head. Good retention and some patchy lace left over.

S - Sharp, crisp funk all over the place, Brett and barnyard aroma adds some awesome damp hay, horse-blanket, and tartness to the nose. Lemon citrus and bugs make it mouth-puckering before I even taste it. Lots of lactic-ness here.

T - Notes of raw honey and pale malt drizzled with caramel lightly sweeten the huge lactic sour flavor. Massive Brett barnyard funk with a sharp finish. This is wild!

M - Light-bodied and heavily sour with a big funk, Duck Duck has a sharp finish that's nicely carbonated and mouth-puckering.

D - This is hard to not demolish before finishing the review, it's very very easy drinking for as sour as it is. It goes down so well, I'd be willing to wager Sweem regretted sharing it. (1,044 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Night of the Funk

A-Pours an opaque peach juice hue. Thin layer of white foam.

S-Funky and musty. Oak and sour lemon juice. Light sweetness and a grassy component.

T-Starts off firmly tart. Lemon rind and wet woodiness. Grass and lingering, zesty sourness. Hints of malt sweetness. High acidity. Quite complex.

M-Has some body to it. Dry. Softer carbonation.

O/D-A huge treat to be able to try this beer. I was not blown away but it is clearly a great Wild Ale. This one is a bit over hyped. Still, not much else to complain about. (538 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours a hazy golden straw color with active white prickly and sprity head, minimal lacing. Scent is musty and sour, finally mellowing into a slight citrus and biscut note, mild vanilla and oak. First sip is tart, funky and acidic but soon rushed into a very fruity blend... mango, apprico, lemon, pineapple... lots of stuff going on there. Slight biscuty sweetness and hints of the vanilla and oak also present. Medium bodied, active carbonation, dry. A pleasure to sip and could see this improving over a long length of time. (526 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

750ml bottle generously opened by Thirstybird. Served in my 25cl Allagash chalice. Poured a hazy orange-gold with a loose, quarter inch white head that quickly dissipated. Lots of effervescing activity on this one as evidenced by clusters of tiny bubbles adhering to the sides of the glass below the cap; no lacing. Nose is slightly tart and sour with tropical fruits coming out (pineapple, star fruit, etc.)? Taste follows nose - slightly acidic and dry, tart light fruit and a hint of cork. Mouthfeel was very lively and consistent throughout. Finishes dry with some astringency around the salivary glands. This was extremely delicious and even quite refreshing and palette cleansing, even with the incredible fruit profile. This is sour, but not puckeringly so - one of the most memorable beers I've yet to experience. I know it's classified as an American Wild, but definitely some gueze like qualities (I guess hence the name). (932 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a slightly hazed golden/yellow color. A minimal white head forms, and not much lace either.
S: Not much in the nose. Light apple skin, with a bit of tartness. A metallic, even tinny aroma. Not much of a yeast character, not much funk, oak, or much of anything else. Disappointing in the nose.
T: Light white grape flavors with apple skins. Cider like, with a bit of tartness and vinegar flavors. Again, no real funky yeast character. Really not much of anything but light tartness.
M/D: A light to medium body. Certainly not flat, but I wish this was much more crisp. The light tartness is enjoyable, and makes this fairly simple and easy to drink. Though I feel like this needs something more...probably a more distinct yeast character.

One dimensional, and just a little boring. After several try's over the years, I was hoping this would click, but it never has. I have never gotten much yeast or substantial tartness out of this. Don't know why my experience is that much different than most others. Though I think there are much better Wild Ale available, and ones that are so much easier to get as well. (1,138 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -35.9%

Pours a transparent golden color, bubbles floating to the top, thin limited white head. The nose has a fair bit of sourness and acidity, light leathery brett, an earthy funk, touch of tangerine and tangy peach. The earthy funk is there with some barrel presence, hints of vanilla, the peach is sour, extremely high acidity and burns the throat. The feel is full bodied and heavy, grainy on the throat, dry, under carbonated. (424 characters)

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey