Sinners Blend 2009 - The Lost Abbey

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 08-14-2009

Ratings: 126 | Reviews: 68
4.77/5  rDev +20.5%

I was fortunate enough to be among the first to try this rather epic concoction at O'Brien's pub on Friday evening. I hold Lost Abbey in such high esteem because of their interesting brews, and this was certainly far from a failure to uphold that view.

As mentioned by others, the Blend is a mixture of three other Lost Abbey brews, all aged and all brewed with a particular kind of yeast strain--Brettanomyces ("Bretts"), which, due to their acidogenic nature, instill a fairly sour taste to the beers they are used for (the flavor comes from acetic acid generated during the fermentation process--this creates a vinegar-like taste). Note that the sour flavor of the beer is certainly one that makes it quite successful and interesting.

A--14oz. served in a Chimay chalice; very, very, dark, very thin head with a slight off-white/tan hue.

S--Strong scent of rosemary, likely resulting from the 10 Commandments; malty; pungent and sweet.

T--Sour and sweet, owed to the Bretts; almost overwhelmingly aromatic, stemming from all of the spices and herbals utilized in the Gift of the Magi and the 10 Commandments; The alcohol is strong, but not overwhelming. It definitely needs to be sipped or you will feel some repercussions. As a caveat to that, I'm not sure what the ABV is, but I would imagine it's somewhere above 10%.

M--Smooth is the only word I can seem to come up with. I'll leave it at that.

D--Very drinkable, but again I would urge it to be sipped. The flavors make it enjoyable, but it is very potent. Not quite as strong as a Mephistopheles, but still.

4.71/5  rDev +18.9%

Tried my first bottle of this when it first came out as a sinners club member. I remember being unimpressed by this beer and forgot about the three other bottles I had, till recently...

I threw a bottle in the fridge for a couple of hours and it was ready to go, I popped of the cork and poured into a tulip. Black with brown edges. A wisp of brownish khaki lacing remains at the perimeter of the beer. No lacing or head is left on the glass through the session. Still looks pretty good though.

I took a whiff and was suprised by the tartness that came through, I definitely did not remeber it having this quality last year. It had more of a stout/herb type smell going on before, but I was happy with the new changes and as the beer warmed up scents of dark chocolate and tart cherries came through. Along with raisins and some hints of oak. I took my time savoring the complexity of the aroma, it was fantastic.

The first few sips were nice and tart, as my taste buds adjusted to the tartness I could begin to detect cherries, chocolate, and coffee. I've seen the word leather used in some wine descriptions and I believe I now know what they are talking about with this beer. Again when this was first released the sour component of this beer had not yet developed to its present level. This is such a unique flavor profile as the sour flavors subside a sweeter chocolate aftertaste lingers. Amazing! Towards the end I definitely got more of the wood characteristics and a wine like quality. Probably one of the most complex beers I have had in a while. This is excellent.

The mouthfeel had light carbonation and a medium mouthfeel. The carbonation was spot on in the begining, I may have savored this one too long as my serving lost some of its effervescence as it warmed up. Overall it was still very good.

I could not detect any booziness in this bottle. One bottle was perfect to myself, although I could have definitely drank more, I'll knock it down a bit for its warming effect. Sinners 09 is an excellent beer that benefited greatly from sitting in the bottle for a while, if you still have some I suggest you try one soon.

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Black- crazy for this beer to be black an sour!

S- Crazy complex. Sweet tart fruit, sour vanilla beans, funky and fermented straw. An amazing smell. Cider vinegar that's sharp and tastes aged (is there such thing as aged cider vinegar?)

T- Crazy tart. Dried black currents. There's hints of a lot of dried fruit- dried cranberries, dried cherries, even dried blueberries. And there's some sweet malty backbone to give it some balance to the sourness.

M- Mouth puckering tart, but in a really delicious way.

O- Another amazing beer from LA. This has just the right amount of sour for my palate. If only I could get some more...

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

Taken from my session notes...

2009 bottle from my Patron Sinner's collection. super dark. Almost stout black. Bubbly white head that disappears as soon as you stop pouring. Sour, dark aroma. Mostly sour. notes of pinot nior and wood. I quote my friend who said, "This is winey as shit!" You are immediately bombarded with a sour flavor, but a unique one. This beer is really dark. The pinot and wood flavors come at you strong. There's a very faint red wine finish. If you let the brew sit for a a few seconds you can almost get some hints of dark mal (dare I say the slightest hint of roast), i'm talking almost not there. It's the kind of flavor that is that that almost shouldn't be there. This beer taste like a blend of Supplication and Concecration. It's fairly tart, too. I've hard sour brown ales before, but this is black as night. I'm curious as how much the malt contributed to the flavor. I know this is a blend, and unfortunately almost two years later I can't seem to find what this beer is made from. Whatever it is, it's nothing short of amazing.

4.46/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks very much to schmittymack for sharing this one with me last night. Poured a very dark brown color with a smattering of light brown bubbles on the surface. Huge inviting and tart aromas here, sour cherries, oak and dark fruit. On the palate, this one was quite tart and light bodied, with flavors of bourbon, port, oak, cherries and dark fruit. Excellent.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours nearly pitch black with no head. Aromas of date and leather and a prominent "Oud Bruin" twang. First taste is of cherry, immediately followed by a sour apple, aggressive tartness that slowly dissipates into a tannic, slightly oak finish. This is quite dry considering my expectations. Mouthfeel is sort of medium - lighter than I thought, but balances well with the tartness.

Overall I think this beer could use some changes, like a little carbonation, but it's a great American sour and I'm very glad I still have a few bottles left.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Huge thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. Review No. 2000 here on Beer Advocate.

The beer pours a brownish (but almost pink) color with an off-white head.

The aroma is awesome. I get a lot of bourbon as well as some roasted malt, dark fruit and a light amount of smoke.

The flavor is bourbon, tart dark fruit, coffee, roasted malt and tart cherries. I have no idea what beers make up this blend, but the flavor is incredibly complex and tastes like a barrel-aged, slightly tart Lost Abbey Judgment Day.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Outstanding.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Review #666 gee, wow, holy x-top buns...whatever that means??? Wicked, bad, evil? Nope.

375ml. brown bottle with caged cork and a firey looking foil label, just like last years but with an 09 on front and back. With a faint pop of the cork pours a very dark brown viscous liquid with dark rusty highlights and minimal bubble formation. This is no doubt low in carbonation, but far from flat and definitely suits the style.

The smell is really tart, yet sweet...much more so in tartness than a bottle I opened a month ago, as well as what I tasted on tap at O'Brien's. Sweet notes of plum, chocolate, fig and red grapes with a notable bit of spices deeply infused, along with some potent alcohol that all comes alive as this warms up. There's a lot going on in this brew to say the least.

Sweet and fruity with all of the afore mentioned and add some oak, vanilla, cardamon, prune, brown sugar and some Dutch salted black licorice. This all gets slapped with the tartness that the nose revealed and carries on down to the finish in a sour manner. Man this is some kind of blend, can't wait to see what years of aging will do to this complex brew.

Full body, low carbonation, high alcohol, plenty of tartness and a lot of lingering flavors lend to a lively mouthfeel. The drinkability is good now, but I expect everything to bump up a notch or so as the brew ages. I'm cellaring a couple and will report back in a couple years...

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Mr. Krispy and I had this early at O'Brian's on 8.13.09. Nice to meet some fellow BA's there.

As stated, this was a blend of Serpent's, Maji and 10 Commandments.

A - Deep brown almost black liquid fills a Chimay glass. Small head dissipated quickly and left but a few bubbles at the glass's edge.

S - You could really smell the Serpent's Stout with it's roasty and dark fruit aroma.

T - First hit is definitely the stout, deep coffee and roast then comes a slight tartness and finishes with some bourbon/alcohol. It amazed me how you can really taste all three of the beers in this blend.

M - Mouthfeel was silky then tart and then a little hot

D - I think LA did a great job on this blend. Just enough tart for those of us who are not huge sour fans.

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%

375ml caged and corked bottle.

A small pop greeted me when I removed the cork, with a vigorous pour, I get a small head of tan foam that quickly ahrinks to a ring around my NB Goblet. It does have some lacing which surprises me. When I hold up my glass to the light, it appears to be a very very dark brown.

Next up, the smell. It is nice! Lots of tart fruity notes up front. More investigating reveals a barrel/oakiness that compliments the tartness nicely. There's a sweetness to it as well...kind of hard for me to figure out. Maybe the taste will tell.

The taste is full of dark fruity goodness with some notes of plums and a nice sweetness about mid palate that smacks of...chocolate? The oakiness is also shining through and combined with the other flavours, makes this brew very tasty and quite intriguing. The finish, I find, is quite squarely in the tart camp and makes me want to take more sips.

The mouthfeel is on the high end of medium with the carbonation not really noticeable until after the swallow when I get a slight tingling. Very light but adequate.

Drinkability? It's an 8.0%abv brew and I can definitely feel some warming after each sip but it's a cold day here in Casper so I don't have a problem with that at all. I reckon this would be a good candidate for some aging but as is, I'm finding it very drinkable and quite a joy to drink. I should have got more of this one.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this on-tap at O'Briens, surprised I was beaten to the punch at reviewing this one, but I am also surprised that I was in the presence of so many other esteemed BAs. Like has been said, it's a mix of Serpent, Gift, and 10 Commandments from LA, and all with the famed Bretts.

Appearance: Dark, with some nice little tight bubbles in the head. Almost pitch black, with almost white head which surprised me for as dark as it was.

Smell: Roasted and dark, but slight astringent sourness there as well. Anise, raisin, and fig are present, and it's definitely a heavier, darker aroma.

Taste: Slightly bitter, but not quite as sours as I'd hope with the Bretts. It'd be one to age in a bottle for sure to let them get more of a sourness going, but the raisin, licorice, anise, and plum-like smells all are present, along with a medicinal, almost rosemary taste that I attribute to the 10 Commandments. Sourness just wasn't quite as brutal as I'd hoped for, but definitely a solid brew nonethess.

Mouthfeel: Dark and heavy, with that slight pucker present. Sort of slick, but not too powerful, enjoyable but not fantastic.

Drinkability: This went down pretty easy for as heavy ABV as I'd imagine it being. Would love to get my hands on a bottle of this as I'd imagine she'd age beautifully. Definitely an interesting and fun try tonight, look forward to hopefully trying this again someday.

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle shared by twig86 -- thanks, Derek!

a - pours a dark almost black color with ruby highlights, minimal head with retention around the edges only

s - tart grapes, tannin, light dark fruit sweetness, oak and hints of booze on the nose

t - much more tart and sour than I expected, tart grapes and cherries up front with a nice raisin and dark fruit sweetness component on the midpalate and finish, fairly dry finish with lingering tart cherry and grape with lighter dark fruits and hints of alcohol, really surprised to find out this doesn't have Cuvee de Tomme in it

m - medium-bodied, low carbonation, well-balanced finish that's slightly on the dry side, good amount of alcohol warming

d - pretty drinkable stuff, the tartness is not overwhelming due to the bit of sweetness that balances it out a bit, alcohol isn't too strong either

Really good stuff, surprisingly so based on the previous reviews. Much more tart and sour than I expected as well. Thanks again to Derek for sharing this gem.

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%

A - this beer pours a dark stout color, impenetrable to light, with a thin brown ring on head atop

S - tannic and leathery at first, followed by a strong super grapey aroma, dark pruple grapes, accessorized by other dark fruits

T - the grapiness persists to the taste as well, with some surprising chocolate/cocoa notes accentuate the dark fruits

M&D - easily quaffed, not super smooth, but not offensive, superb sour notes will put off some, but not many, nice aftertaste and followup

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearace: my soft pour grew increasingly harder, but no head emerged from this black beer.

Smell: Delicious tart cherries, with some acid, leather, earthy funk, oak, brown sugar, dates, and raisins.

Taste: Tart cherries up front, followed by an intense sour, finalized by an earthy must. The tart cherries dominate but are followed by acid, leather, french oak, balsalmic vinegar, brown sugar, earthy funk, dates, raisins, and pomegranite. Towards the end of the glass I started getting some chocolate and coffee on the finish - trippy.

Mouthfeel: Completely still, altough I aged it for a while. Silky, smooth, and full, but the lack of carbonation dings the score here.

Drinkability: High, this is one complex beer, even though it is flat. Not sure why they mess with the corks and cages, might as well just cap it as there is zero carbonation.

This one is delicous, but the fact it is still keeps it from being great. Reminds me of Veritas 001 or 002, can't remember which.

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%

12.7 oz bottle into a tulip. The beer glugs forth from the bottle murky and flat, true to the traditional English barleywine style. In the glass it's an impenetrable dark brown with no head.

The aroma is surprisingly great. Vinous with a tart berry-like sourness and roasted malt, some coffee and chocolate, a little balsamic vinegar. If I dig, I can pick out a slight herbal note from 10 Commandments. There's a subtle funkiness to it, but the brett is largely drowned out by the big vinous and stout notes.

On the palate it's juicy and tart, cherry and red wine flavors competing with a roasty, chocolatey stout character for glory and victory. It's a stalemate. The mouthfeel, much to my surprise, is dead flat. In this instance it's not a huge detraction and the beer is still enjoyable, but I do wonder how much better it would be with a moderate level of carbonation. Probably quite a lot better. The finish is extremely woody and tannic, with a big vinous port wine kick and some sharp acidity.

This was a tough one to rate. Rarely do I feel so conflicted about a beer. It shows a lot of potential, but it's severely flawed by the lack of carbonation. Maybe this one will carbonate in time and turn into something great, or maybe it'll stay a flat mess like just about every other barrel-aged beer Lost Abbey has released this year.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

On tap at Armsby Abbey. Served in a 4oz sample glass.

A - In a dimly lit room this beer pours an almost pitch black with light brown tinting around the edges when held to a light. A thin tan collar clings to the glass with very mild lacing left behind.

S - Lightly sour and tart, some dark roastd malts and mild chocolate notes. Interesting combination of sour and roast.

T - Chocolate up front with complementing lactic sourness. Dark roasted malt blends in nicely and as it warms there is some added complexity with notes of vanilla and caramel joining the party.

M - Smooth and creamy with a midlevel carbonation and medium body.

D - Smooth and very easy drinking...very creamy and caramelly. Very enjoyable.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from the tap into a tasting glass.

The color was black with some maroon hue and a little finger of brownish head, a little light lacing.

The smell is pretty roasty with a dark malt flavor and some dark chocolate and a bit of a bourbon sting.

The taste is is a bit sour fruit at first, I was surprised to have this funk remain for a sec, and then lead into the roasted malts I expected and then a nice chocolate flavor.

The feel of this beer was a little heavier than expected but still a great feel going down. A nice American made Belgian strong ale.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

On-tap at Casa del Sean. Served in a Närke tulip.

A - A finger-plus of tan foam settles to a thick collar, leaving behind spotty lace. Very dark brown body with some hints of red at the fringes when held to the light.

S - The Gift of the Magi and french oak components are the first things that leap out, although as it warms up I get more light chocolate, roasted malts, and vinous notes from the port barrel-aged Serpent's Stout. There's the perfume note I associate with Ten Commandments as well, but not much of the bourbon barrel it was aged in. Brett is present but quite understated.

T - The taste is far more sour and vinous than I expected from the aroma. Lots of port, oak, and red wine vinegar acidity mingle with a dark chocolate truffle backdrop. Some Belgian yeast character, but not much brett presence here.

M - Tannic, medium-full body, pleasant medium-low carbonation, and a dry finish. Not much in the way of obvious alcohol, even though all the components are up there on their own (before the barrel-aging).

D - Wow! This has mellowed a ton since it was released, and the massive perfume and spice aroma it initially had has largely faded leaving behind a nice and complex beer. I find it really odd that the aroma is mostly French Oak Gift of the Magi while the taste is mostly Port Serpent's Stout, but it's strangely compelling nonetheless. I'm curious how the bottles have developed compared to this keg, although I'm guessing they are still flat. If you want this beer at its best, a growler from Sean is the way to go.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

From a bottle into a snifter @ the Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens on 11/9/09 during the "Tomme Arthur Experience" event.

Pours a cola-like dark brown/black, with a minimal covering of off-white foam. This doesn't stick around too long, leaving just some very light spotty lace behind. The aroma pops with tart cherries right off of the bat, quickly being followed by more Stout-like qualities of chocolate, coffee, and roast. A light whiff of spices and and some woody mustiness fill out the back portion of this nicely.

The taste starts with chocolate covered TART cherries, which pretty much makes up the bulk of this and never looks back. Luckily, I am also picking up some extra notes of molasses, roast, vanilla, oak, and strong drying spices. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, maybe a bit fuller, with a creamier carbonation that sits on top of a much more oaky and slick feel. The drying tartness does get a bit intense the more I work on this glass, which keeps the drinkibility down a tad.

Pretty overall even blend for this year's rendition of the Sinners beer. The oak and cherry of the Red Poppy and the roasted chocolate character of the Serpent's Stout really worked nicely for me here, while the herbs and spices of the Ten Commandments added a spicy presence that didn't really intrude on the other flavors. Pretty tasty and drinkable stuff this year!

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Sinners Blend 2009 is a blend of Ten Commandments aged in Bourbon Barrels, Gift of the Magi aged in French Oak Barrels, and Serpent's Stout aged in Port Barrels. Consumed on 08/14/2009 at O'Brien's. A draft pour into a Chimay glass yields a small frothy brown head. The beer is very dark, but not quite black. Traces of brown can be seen when I hold the glass to light.

The aroma is of raisins, dark chocolate, tannins, and vanilla. Bourbon adds a nice touch, and the Port aging imparts notes of plums and grapes. I get some cherry as well, but I don't know where that's coming from since it's not in any of the 3 beers. The beer has a sugary quality in the aroma which isn't quite candied or brown, but it's there nonetheless. Brett is restrained and it doesn't impart any funky notes. There's just enough for a man to say, "Hey, there's some Brett in here." The aroma was a bit muddled when first served, but when it warmed up to an adequate temperature it was quite nice.

The flavor opens up with dark fruits: plums, grapes, cherries, and raisins. The beer is slightly tart, with notes of bourbon and dark chocolate. It's also quite tannic, with some noticeable vanilla. It's sweet throughout and slightly spicy (is that the Myrrh?). Brett is more noticeable here, but it's still not prominent, and bitterness is low. The finish is hot with an increased level of tartness and sourness that lingers along with dark fruit notes and bourbon.

The beer is full bodied, and it has a nice level of low medium carbonation on draft. The mouthfeel is silky and creamy.

This beer was served at draft temperature, which always seems to be too cold for beers like this. If you drink this cold I think you'll miss some of the nuances. I suppose that's not unique to this beer, but I thought I'd mention that because my opinion on the beer changed when it warmed. I look forward to trying this out of the bottle.

4.16/5  rDev +5.1%

Got this from the super generous trader Bitterbill, thanks Bill!

12.7 oz bottle opens with an anemic pop, pours an effervescent mahogany with a sliver of cocoa colored head. Nice oily sheen to this, but little head retention or lacing

S: Prunes, figs & some sourness, plus some kirschwasser (cherry schnapps smells)

T: Puckery tartness, figs, dryness some fusel alcohol up front. Cherries, figs & oaky dryness follow as this warms, plus burnt candi sugar & a touch of apricot & nice port notes. Finishes dry with tart cherry, figs & more oaky dryness, plus candi sugar just rotting the teeth!

MF: Medium bodied, minimal carbonation, & nice warming

Drinks pretty easily for the style, much to like about this, only the head retention & lacing really fell short... One of the better efforts from these guys as of late ( as far as I know, not getting much lately )

A- Very black with a brown tinge. Very little head

S- figs, dark fruits, prunes, bourbon, a little oak

T- Pretty complex, especially when warmed up. Similar to nose. Figs, dark fruits, prunes. A little bit of sour cherries, raisons chocolate. A little bit of a spicey finish at times

M- Kind of light, a little slippery on the tongue. Low to moderately low carbonation

D- Lots of bourbon on this one at first. But the flavor profile really opens up once it warms up. It is definitely a sipper. You can taste a lot of bourbon and serpents initially. Maybe just a tad bit more carbonation would've helped the mouthfeel (even no tap)

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Had a couple of these on tap at the BBF.

Pours an opaque dark red, looks almost black away from the light, super thick and rocky tan head forms, drops a ton of lace as it settles, this looks good.

Smell is nice, chocolate, vanilla, dark fruit, raisin, oak, almost a bit of oxidation-like fruit, a bit musty, grapes, light bit of funk but not much sourness.

Taste is similar, nice chocolate/roast character, oak, lots of dark fruit, a touch of sourness, raisin, alcohol comes through, feels a bit sweet, lots of chocolate and fruit.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Pretty good but didn't find it too sour or funky like the 2008 Sinners. Pretty drinkable!

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

A: poured a dark brown with pale brown highlights and had almost no head and left almost no lacing sticking to the glass.

S: toffee, caramel, and borbon are noticeable on the first whiff with boozy, dark fruit, oakiness and hints of funk. There was faint traces of cherries as well.

T: the tart cherries were more apparent on the palate with bourbon, dark fruit, caramel toffee accents and had some oaky character but had booze that was there but was not overwhelming.

M: the brew was medium in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a sweet, bourbon boozy, oaky, fruity, and tart finish.

D: was a solid sour BDSA that drank really good and was very tasty. To me this blend was better than the 08.

4.12/5  rDev +4%

Big thanks to Kegatron for bringing this to my place to share with myself and Slatetank. A 1 liter swing top growler poured into a cervoise. This brew appears a dark brown color with a dark tan cap that quickly fades and holds strong around the rim of the glass with big bubbles. When held to the light, it has some ruby clarity through the body and lighter brown hues along the edges. Finger-like patterns of lace stick to the glass and a swirl revives the cap back to about a finger's strength.

The smell of this brew is chocolate and raisins with a very sweet vanilla character. There is a light amount of leather and some mild funk to earthy elements to the back of the nose. Hints of cherry aid the sweet smell of this brew providing a different depth of fruited character to this brew's aroma. More sniffs bring out smooth scents of chocolate mixed with a mildly tangy alcohol aspect, earthy and lightly spicy with a scent that is almost like incense once the brew is warm.

The taste is sharp and acidic like cherry mixed with lactic acid. Chocolate malt and smooth barrel aged vanilla incorporation are an afterthought with some leather and must. There are some fruited alcohol qualities about this brew making a suggestion of raisins or plums with a hint of maybe molasses but I am stretching here to focus on something other than the bold acidity of this. It is a little herbal and tangy to balance with a hint of mineral flavor. Quite a mouth watering brew.

This brew is an absolute mind bender. The way it smells suggests sweet, smooth sexual barrel aged love that entices and seems very easily approachable. Then you take a sip and it wrecks your face with sharp acidity and tang that was not to be found in the nose. An absolute pleasure to drink. It is medium bodied with a modest to light level of carbonation that is smooth in the feel yet sharp and tangy in flavor. Huge salivation factor with this brew, almost tongue curling upon first sip. For 8% it hits pretty hard but quite enjoyable.

Sinners Blend 2009 from The Lost Abbey