Sinners Blend 2009 - The Lost Abbey

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 08-14-2009

4.77/5  rDev +20.5%

I was fortunate enough to be among the first to try this rather epic concoction at O'Brien's pub on Friday evening. I hold Lost Abbey in such high esteem because of their interesting brews, and this was certainly far from a failure to uphold that view.

As mentioned by others, the Blend is a mixture of three other Lost Abbey brews, all aged and all brewed with a particular kind of yeast strain--Brettanomyces ("Bretts"), which, due to their acidogenic nature, instill a fairly sour taste to the beers they are used for (the flavor comes from acetic acid generated during the fermentation process--this creates a vinegar-like taste). Note that the sour flavor of the beer is certainly one that makes it quite successful and interesting.

A--14oz. served in a Chimay chalice; very, very, dark, very thin head with a slight off-white/tan hue.

S--Strong scent of rosemary, likely resulting from the 10 Commandments; malty; pungent and sweet.

T--Sour and sweet, owed to the Bretts; almost overwhelmingly aromatic, stemming from all of the spices and herbals utilized in the Gift of the Magi and the 10 Commandments; The alcohol is strong, but not overwhelming. It definitely needs to be sipped or you will feel some repercussions. As a caveat to that, I'm not sure what the ABV is, but I would imagine it's somewhere above 10%.

M--Smooth is the only word I can seem to come up with. I'll leave it at that.

D--Very drinkable, but again I would urge it to be sipped. The flavors make it enjoyable, but it is very potent. Not quite as strong as a Mephistopheles, but still.

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

4.71/5  rDev +18.9%

Tried my first bottle of this when it first came out as a sinners club member. I remember being unimpressed by this beer and forgot about the three other bottles I had, till recently...

I threw a bottle in the fridge for a couple of hours and it was ready to go, I popped of the cork and poured into a tulip. Black with brown edges. A wisp of brownish khaki lacing remains at the perimeter of the beer. No lacing or head is left on the glass through the session. Still looks pretty good though.

I took a whiff and was suprised by the tartness that came through, I definitely did not remeber it having this quality last year. It had more of a stout/herb type smell going on before, but I was happy with the new changes and as the beer warmed up scents of dark chocolate and tart cherries came through. Along with raisins and some hints of oak. I took my time savoring the complexity of the aroma, it was fantastic.

The first few sips were nice and tart, as my taste buds adjusted to the tartness I could begin to detect cherries, chocolate, and coffee. I've seen the word leather used in some wine descriptions and I believe I now know what they are talking about with this beer. Again when this was first released the sour component of this beer had not yet developed to its present level. This is such a unique flavor profile as the sour flavors subside a sweeter chocolate aftertaste lingers. Amazing! Towards the end I definitely got more of the wood characteristics and a wine like quality. Probably one of the most complex beers I have had in a while. This is excellent.

The mouthfeel had light carbonation and a medium mouthfeel. The carbonation was spot on in the begining, I may have savored this one too long as my serving lost some of its effervescence as it warmed up. Overall it was still very good.

I could not detect any booziness in this bottle. One bottle was perfect to myself, although I could have definitely drank more, I'll knock it down a bit for its warming effect. Sinners 09 is an excellent beer that benefited greatly from sitting in the bottle for a while, if you still have some I suggest you try one soon.

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Black- crazy for this beer to be black an sour!

S- Crazy complex. Sweet tart fruit, sour vanilla beans, funky and fermented straw. An amazing smell. Cider vinegar that's sharp and tastes aged (is there such thing as aged cider vinegar?)

T- Crazy tart. Dried black currents. There's hints of a lot of dried fruit- dried cranberries, dried cherries, even dried blueberries. And there's some sweet malty backbone to give it some balance to the sourness.

M- Mouth puckering tart, but in a really delicious way.

O- Another amazing beer from LA. This has just the right amount of sour for my palate. If only I could get some more...

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

Taken from my session notes...

2009 bottle from my Patron Sinner's collection. super dark. Almost stout black. Bubbly white head that disappears as soon as you stop pouring. Sour, dark aroma. Mostly sour. notes of pinot nior and wood. I quote my friend who said, "This is winey as shit!" You are immediately bombarded with a sour flavor, but a unique one. This beer is really dark. The pinot and wood flavors come at you strong. There's a very faint red wine finish. If you let the brew sit for a a few seconds you can almost get some hints of dark mal (dare I say the slightest hint of roast), i'm talking almost not there. It's the kind of flavor that is that that almost shouldn't be there. This beer taste like a blend of Supplication and Concecration. It's fairly tart, too. I've hard sour brown ales before, but this is black as night. I'm curious as how much the malt contributed to the flavor. I know this is a blend, and unfortunately almost two years later I can't seem to find what this beer is made from. Whatever it is, it's nothing short of amazing.

4.46/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks very much to schmittymack for sharing this one with me last night. Poured a very dark brown color with a smattering of light brown bubbles on the surface. Huge inviting and tart aromas here, sour cherries, oak and dark fruit. On the palate, this one was quite tart and light bodied, with flavors of bourbon, port, oak, cherries and dark fruit. Excellent.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours nearly pitch black with no head. Aromas of date and leather and a prominent "Oud Bruin" twang. First taste is of cherry, immediately followed by a sour apple, aggressive tartness that slowly dissipates into a tannic, slightly oak finish. This is quite dry considering my expectations. Mouthfeel is sort of medium - lighter than I thought, but balances well with the tartness.

Overall I think this beer could use some changes, like a little carbonation, but it's a great American sour and I'm very glad I still have a few bottles left.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Huge thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. Review No. 2000 here on Beer Advocate.

The beer pours a brownish (but almost pink) color with an off-white head.

The aroma is awesome. I get a lot of bourbon as well as some roasted malt, dark fruit and a light amount of smoke.

The flavor is bourbon, tart dark fruit, coffee, roasted malt and tart cherries. I have no idea what beers make up this blend, but the flavor is incredibly complex and tastes like a barrel-aged, slightly tart Lost Abbey Judgment Day.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Outstanding.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Review #666 gee, wow, holy x-top buns...whatever that means??? Wicked, bad, evil? Nope.

375ml. brown bottle with caged cork and a firey looking foil label, just like last years but with an 09 on front and back. With a faint pop of the cork pours a very dark brown viscous liquid with dark rusty highlights and minimal bubble formation. This is no doubt low in carbonation, but far from flat and definitely suits the style.

The smell is really tart, yet sweet...much more so in tartness than a bottle I opened a month ago, as well as what I tasted on tap at O'Brien's. Sweet notes of plum, chocolate, fig and red grapes with a notable bit of spices deeply infused, along with some potent alcohol that all comes alive as this warms up. There's a lot going on in this brew to say the least.

Sweet and fruity with all of the afore mentioned and add some oak, vanilla, cardamon, prune, brown sugar and some Dutch salted black licorice. This all gets slapped with the tartness that the nose revealed and carries on down to the finish in a sour manner. Man this is some kind of blend, can't wait to see what years of aging will do to this complex brew.

Full body, low carbonation, high alcohol, plenty of tartness and a lot of lingering flavors lend to a lively mouthfeel. The drinkability is good now, but I expect everything to bump up a notch or so as the brew ages. I'm cellaring a couple and will report back in a couple years...

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Mr. Krispy and I had this early at O'Brian's on 8.13.09. Nice to meet some fellow BA's there.

As stated, this was a blend of Serpent's, Maji and 10 Commandments.

A - Deep brown almost black liquid fills a Chimay glass. Small head dissipated quickly and left but a few bubbles at the glass's edge.

S - You could really smell the Serpent's Stout with it's roasty and dark fruit aroma.

T - First hit is definitely the stout, deep coffee and roast then comes a slight tartness and finishes with some bourbon/alcohol. It amazed me how you can really taste all three of the beers in this blend.

M - Mouthfeel was silky then tart and then a little hot

D - I think LA did a great job on this blend. Just enough tart for those of us who are not huge sour fans.

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%

375ml caged and corked bottle.

A small pop greeted me when I removed the cork, with a vigorous pour, I get a small head of tan foam that quickly ahrinks to a ring around my NB Goblet. It does have some lacing which surprises me. When I hold up my glass to the light, it appears to be a very very dark brown.

Next up, the smell. It is nice! Lots of tart fruity notes up front. More investigating reveals a barrel/oakiness that compliments the tartness nicely. There's a sweetness to it as well...kind of hard for me to figure out. Maybe the taste will tell.

The taste is full of dark fruity goodness with some notes of plums and a nice sweetness about mid palate that smacks of...chocolate? The oakiness is also shining through and combined with the other flavours, makes this brew very tasty and quite intriguing. The finish, I find, is quite squarely in the tart camp and makes me want to take more sips.

The mouthfeel is on the high end of medium with the carbonation not really noticeable until after the swallow when I get a slight tingling. Very light but adequate.

Drinkability? It's an 8.0%abv brew and I can definitely feel some warming after each sip but it's a cold day here in Casper so I don't have a problem with that at all. I reckon this would be a good candidate for some aging but as is, I'm finding it very drinkable and quite a joy to drink. I should have got more of this one.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this on-tap at O'Briens, surprised I was beaten to the punch at reviewing this one, but I am also surprised that I was in the presence of so many other esteemed BAs. Like has been said, it's a mix of Serpent, Gift, and 10 Commandments from LA, and all with the famed Bretts.

Appearance: Dark, with some nice little tight bubbles in the head. Almost pitch black, with almost white head which surprised me for as dark as it was.

Smell: Roasted and dark, but slight astringent sourness there as well. Anise, raisin, and fig are present, and it's definitely a heavier, darker aroma.

Taste: Slightly bitter, but not quite as sours as I'd hope with the Bretts. It'd be one to age in a bottle for sure to let them get more of a sourness going, but the raisin, licorice, anise, and plum-like smells all are present, along with a medicinal, almost rosemary taste that I attribute to the 10 Commandments. Sourness just wasn't quite as brutal as I'd hoped for, but definitely a solid brew nonethess.

Mouthfeel: Dark and heavy, with that slight pucker present. Sort of slick, but not too powerful, enjoyable but not fantastic.

Drinkability: This went down pretty easy for as heavy ABV as I'd imagine it being. Would love to get my hands on a bottle of this as I'd imagine she'd age beautifully. Definitely an interesting and fun try tonight, look forward to hopefully trying this again someday.

Sinners Blend 2009 from The Lost Abbey