Sinners Blend 2009 - The Lost Abbey

Sinners Blend 2009Sinners Blend 2009

The Lost Abbey visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 08-14-2009)
4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

From a bottle into a snifter @ the Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens on 11/9/09 during the "Tomme Arthur Experience" event.

Pours a cola-like dark brown/black, with a minimal covering of off-white foam. This doesn't stick around too long, leaving just some very light spotty lace behind. The aroma pops with tart cherries right off of the bat, quickly being followed by more Stout-like qualities of chocolate, coffee, and roast. A light whiff of spices and and some woody mustiness fill out the back portion of this nicely.

The taste starts with chocolate covered TART cherries, which pretty much makes up the bulk of this and never looks back. Luckily, I am also picking up some extra notes of molasses, roast, vanilla, oak, and strong drying spices. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, maybe a bit fuller, with a creamier carbonation that sits on top of a much more oaky and slick feel. The drying tartness does get a bit intense the more I work on this glass, which keeps the drinkibility down a tad.

Pretty overall even blend for this year's rendition of the Sinners beer. The oak and cherry of the Red Poppy and the roasted chocolate character of the Serpent's Stout really worked nicely for me here, while the herbs and spices of the Ten Commandments added a spicy presence that didn't really intrude on the other flavors. Pretty tasty and drinkable stuff this year!

Kegatron, Dec 01, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

375mL bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a very dark brown out of the bottle that's borders on black in the glass. An aggressive pour yields a smattering of bubbles that quickly builds a short-lived creamy head that recedes to a thin collar with no lacing. It does leave some boozy legs on the side after each sip and swirl.

The aroma is tart with equal part tart cherries and vinegar-like acidity. There are some stout characteristics as well with some dark roasted malts and chocolate as well. Strong, excellent nose.

The taste starts out with the tartness and vinegar sourness. The backbone of dark malts and chocolate is there but gives way to a slightly bretty, very dry vinous finish. The aftertaste is very much like a red wine.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a very soft carbonation that is fairly slick but with lots of similarities to wine in terms of ocerall feel.

I've rarely been disappointed by a sour from Lost Abbey and this is no exception. Probably not the best I've had from them but it's a well crafted blend and a great example of creativity in craft beer.

gford217, Nov 16, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

12.7 oz bottle into a tulip. The beer glugs forth from the bottle murky and flat, true to the traditional English barleywine style. In the glass it's an impenetrable dark brown with no head.

The aroma is surprisingly great. Vinous with a tart berry-like sourness and roasted malt, some coffee and chocolate, a little balsamic vinegar. If I dig, I can pick out a slight herbal note from 10 Commandments. There's a subtle funkiness to it, but the brett is largely drowned out by the big vinous and stout notes.

On the palate it's juicy and tart, cherry and red wine flavors competing with a roasty, chocolatey stout character for glory and victory. It's a stalemate. The mouthfeel, much to my surprise, is dead flat. In this instance it's not a huge detraction and the beer is still enjoyable, but I do wonder how much better it would be with a moderate level of carbonation. Probably quite a lot better. The finish is extremely woody and tannic, with a big vinous port wine kick and some sharp acidity.

This was a tough one to rate. Rarely do I feel so conflicted about a beer. It shows a lot of potential, but it's severely flawed by the lack of carbonation. Maybe this one will carbonate in time and turn into something great, or maybe it'll stay a flat mess like just about every other barrel-aged beer Lost Abbey has released this year.

largadeer, Nov 11, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

A - Pitch black. Imperceptible head. No pop on opening. Dull.

S - Sour berries. Some sour dough bread underneath.

T - Dark fruit, raisins, etc. A little cloying at finish.

M - THIS YEARS CLASSIC PROBLEM - CARBONATION. While cloying, carb would have made it snappier. Again, another beer with more potential that comes up short.

D - Bummed I have more than one, as I am done.

srandycarter, Nov 08, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -9.1%

375 ml corked and caged bottle poured a clear dark brown with no head. Aromas of roasted malt, grapes, sour cherry,light horseblanket, light charcoal and light oak. Mouthfeel was light bodied and crisp with a dry tart finish and very minimal carbonation. Tastes of roasted malt, grape, light oak light funk and a hint of charcoal with a crisp dry lingering tart finish.

Ratman197, Nov 01, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +3%

Corked and caged, 8% ABV stated on bottle. Popped the cork with little sound. Very surprised to see this black pour. I basically forced a head on this one, raising the bottle higher creating a waterfall in the glass. Somehow, a nice 1/4" tan head appeared and looked quite nice.

Aroma of roasted coffee beans, caramel, stout and cherry

Again, quite surprised by the taste, in a good way. Cherry and roasty stout pop out at first. Quite funky and sour, which take a backseat to the before mentioned flavors. As soon as I was set on cherry stout, the funk and sour turn this one on a dime. Horse poop stable funkiness, funk of cherry in the middle. I get the oak in the back of the palate. Dark brown cola when I raised the glass into the sun, revealing a hidden halo of crimson red.

My guess on the blend (without researching this in advance)- Serpent's/Red Poppy/DDG? If not Serpent's, maybe 10 Commandments because of the Brett? Whatever it is, very pleased with this year's Sinner's Blend.

RustyDiamond, Oct 29, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

Well I was happy when this one finally arrived on my doorstep and I could not wait to give it a try, unfortunately those feelings were not well rewarded. Corked and caged bottle was served chilled and decanted into an oversized wine glass, consumed on 10/21/2009.

The pour was flat, dark brown in color with no head whatsoever. I was afraid of this and just utterly and completely disappointed. No lacing, no anything at al, just wrong. Aroma was tart cherries, touches of brown sugar, a light bit of funk to it as well, nicely done I have to say. As I start to dive a little bit deeper into it some light notes of dark fruits as well as a nice barnyard nose come forward. As I take a sip I am immediately thrown back by the lack of carbonation, just a flat abysmal mess. That is really all I can say about that. Flavor starts out with nice tart cherries, hints of spice and a nice light note of brown sugar. Warming now starts and for only 8 percent it really is taking on quite a life of its own. Rich notes of brown sugar and caramel now coming through now mid palate. Interesting mix here again of flavors. Quick hitting notes of cherries and dark fruits, nice mix of grape skin and a hint of spice.

Overall I have to admit I am a bit let down here. The 08 I absolutely adored and thought it was one of the best I had ever had, but this one just really let me down. Maybe if it wasn't flat it would have been better, I have heard there are better bottles floating around but I guess I just got ripped off with mine. Taste was there, nothing else was though.

mikesgroove, Oct 23, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Had a couple of these on tap at the BBF.

Pours an opaque dark red, looks almost black away from the light, super thick and rocky tan head forms, drops a ton of lace as it settles, this looks good.

Smell is nice, chocolate, vanilla, dark fruit, raisin, oak, almost a bit of oxidation-like fruit, a bit musty, grapes, light bit of funk but not much sourness.

Taste is similar, nice chocolate/roast character, oak, lots of dark fruit, a touch of sourness, raisin, alcohol comes through, feels a bit sweet, lots of chocolate and fruit.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Pretty good but didn't find it too sour or funky like the 2008 Sinners. Pretty drinkable!

Viggo, Oct 20, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +3%

Thank you, Joe. Another gem I never thought I'd get to try. A strange blend for sure.

A flat pour with a thin beige head that rises briefly, before disappearing completely. Red highlights. The nose is complex with a blend of barrel character and spices and herbs. To me, it seems that the 10 Commandments dominates. I'm really digging the combination of port, spices and herbs. There a touch of chocolate, bourbon and coconut too. The palate doesn't quite live up, opening big and tart with a lot of sour cherry and unripened berries. Spicy with rosemary and thyme and a lot of port and bourbon with vanilla and oak. The finish is long with a mildly tannic character. Medium in body and LOW in carbonation (this could use just a touch more), this is pretty great, and I wouldn't pass on an opportunity to try this again.

DefenCorps, Oct 13, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

Uh oh, no pop as I open up this beer and it pours like wine with no bubbles what so ever. Not a good sign considering this year's reputation of Flat Abbey.
Aromas of chocolate covered orange and lemon along with toffee and maple syrup.
Very interesting flavor with a lot of orange, pineapple and lemon, typical of a sour beer, but alongside typical barleywine flavors of toffee, maple syrup, and dark fruits. There is also a barnyard funkiness to it which adds to the vast complexity. This beer reminds me a lot of Avery Brabant but is much more complex in flavor. I was worried about the carbonation level, but the very low level isn't detrimental to this beer, it actually has a nice mouthfeel due to the acidity of the beer.
Overall this is an ok cross between a typical Lost Abbey sour beer and one of their dark blegian strong ales (10 Commandments is coming through pretty strongly).

bmanning, Oct 12, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -34.3%

Even on tap, it is a fairly flat, black with ruddy highlights brew. No head, just a thin crust.

Seems to combine some of the lesser aspects of the three beers that went into it. Both flavor and aroma feature charred/roasted malt from the Serpents Stout, the weird spicy/herbal thing from the Gift of the Magi, and the alcohol and strange prune/plum/raisin background from Ten Commandments. It's as though they tried to blend three beers, and didn't get the mix quite right. May need more time in the bottle. There doesn't seem to be much -bal aged influence to it.

The mouthfeel is too flat.

I kind of wonder about this release. I think it's interesting they decided to try a Firestone-esque blend, but was the Sinners club beer really the best time for a first effort? I mean, this isn't horrific, but the Sinners blend, the "non-distributed" offering reserved for the pre-paid "exclusive" Sinners Club, in my opinion should showcase what Lost Abbey does best.

And what Lost Abbey does best isn't Quad/Stout/whatevergiftofthemagiis blends, it's Belgian style sours (look at my ratings for Lost Abbey, I've lauded many of their beers). What, did they figure that Sinners would buy this no matter what, so they just dumped a mixing experiment on us?

Hell, the Sangria at the Sinners Dinner was a very good, accessible sour. I found myself wishing I could have six bottles of that. Looking back on it, I may have underrated it!

Overlord, Oct 11, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

375ml caged and corked bottle.

A small pop greeted me when I removed the cork, with a vigorous pour, I get a small head of tan foam that quickly ahrinks to a ring around my NB Goblet. It does have some lacing which surprises me. When I hold up my glass to the light, it appears to be a very very dark brown.

Next up, the smell. It is nice! Lots of tart fruity notes up front. More investigating reveals a barrel/oakiness that compliments the tartness nicely. There's a sweetness to it as well...kind of hard for me to figure out. Maybe the taste will tell.

The taste is full of dark fruity goodness with some notes of plums and a nice sweetness about mid palate that smacks of...chocolate? The oakiness is also shining through and combined with the other flavours, makes this brew very tasty and quite intriguing. The finish, I find, is quite squarely in the tart camp and makes me want to take more sips.

The mouthfeel is on the high end of medium with the carbonation not really noticeable until after the swallow when I get a slight tingling. Very light but adequate.

Drinkability? It's an 8.0%abv brew and I can definitely feel some warming after each sip but it's a cold day here in Casper so I don't have a problem with that at all. I reckon this would be a good candidate for some aging but as is, I'm finding it very drinkable and quite a joy to drink. I should have got more of this one.

Bitterbill, Oct 08, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

On tap at Falling Rock in Denver around the time of GABF.

A - Very dark brown with purplish hues and absolutely no head. When you're talking about a Flat...I mean...Lost Abbey beer, this is a red flag.

S - Aroma is really nice with port wine and cabernet, oak, roast, chocolate, and berries. Some tartness evident.

T - Both sweet and tart with roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, red wine, port, bourbon, vanilla, and black cherry. Very complex and tasty.

M - Mouthfeel, however, falls flat. Medium-full body with almost no carbonation. Besides that unfortunate fact though, it's pretty silky smooth.

D - This tastes good, but the lack of carbonation really hurts the drinkability here.

nickd717, Oct 02, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Review #666 gee, wow, holy x-top buns...whatever that means??? Wicked, bad, evil? Nope.

375ml. brown bottle with caged cork and a firey looking foil label, just like last years but with an 09 on front and back. With a faint pop of the cork pours a very dark brown viscous liquid with dark rusty highlights and minimal bubble formation. This is no doubt low in carbonation, but far from flat and definitely suits the style.

The smell is really tart, yet sweet...much more so in tartness than a bottle I opened a month ago, as well as what I tasted on tap at O'Brien's. Sweet notes of plum, chocolate, fig and red grapes with a notable bit of spices deeply infused, along with some potent alcohol that all comes alive as this warms up. There's a lot going on in this brew to say the least.

Sweet and fruity with all of the afore mentioned and add some oak, vanilla, cardamon, prune, brown sugar and some Dutch salted black licorice. This all gets slapped with the tartness that the nose revealed and carries on down to the finish in a sour manner. Man this is some kind of blend, can't wait to see what years of aging will do to this complex brew.

Full body, low carbonation, high alcohol, plenty of tartness and a lot of lingering flavors lend to a lively mouthfeel. The drinkability is good now, but I expect everything to bump up a notch or so as the brew ages. I'm cellaring a couple and will report back in a couple years...

scottoale, Sep 29, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Black with a very small tan head.

S: Definitely aroma of the Serpent Stout, woodiness that might be the rosemary from Ten Commandments or from the barrels. A bit of dark fruit.

T: As with the aroma, the Serpent Stout is the primary flavor. Dark fruit flavors definitely come out as this warms up. There are some mild Brett characteristics, but definitely not sour, by any means. Some nice wood flavors are present as well. The only serious flaw I see with this is that it's a bit boozy.

M: Medium bodied, low carbonation.

D: A bit boozy, but still a very interesting beer and very complex flavor and aroma.

womencantsail, Aug 31, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a beautiful burnt burgundy with a light smattering of bubbles. Impressive wine-like colour.

S: Balsamic vinegar is huge, also some chocolate.

T: Port wine, dark chocolate and a finish of black licorice round out the beer. Good, but at times wasn't doing it for me as they say, some astringent bitterness.

M: Smooth, light carbonation, port-like and it makes sense.

D: A nice beer, not as good as some of others I've has from them, but it was cool to see them trying new stuff.

Halcyondays, Aug 29, 2009

Enjoyed a 10 oz. pour at Beachwood during Gabe's 09' Sourfest.

A: Pretty much black with no head and minimal lacing; average.

S: A faint, but detectable bourbon that perhaps brings out or transforms into a dark fig of some kind. I also picked up an oak quality as well.

T: Not sure if I like it or hate it. Sinner's 09' exhibited an overly burnt coffee and prune juice flavor that eventually settled out. Other than that, no other flavors were detectable other than the bourbon/brandy-like characteristic.

M: Full body with mild carbonation; slightly clinging.

D: I couldn't finish my glass.

Overall: Again, this isn't a bad beer...but nothing too spectacular either. Cheers!

OlieIPA, Aug 28, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

Was lucky enough to have Mike grab a bottle of this for my g/f and I to split at the brewery when I was in visiting. A super-cool gesture from one helluva guy, thanks Mike!

375ml corked & caged bottle into LA taster.

A - Black, fizzy tan head that quickly vanishes. When you give it another swirl, the head comes back for more and then vanishes again. Little to no lacing, since the head didn't stick around.

S - Sweet dark fruit, some oak woodiness. I didn't get much rosemary, since I probably couldn't tell you what it smells like off the top of my head anyway. Mike says that rosemary is in there from the 10C, but didn't have any of the raw stuff to smell and compare. Improved as it warmed up.

T - Nice semi-sweet dark fruit notes such as plums, raisins, etc. with very slight cranberry/raspberry tartness (which is cool, because there's nothing really in there to give it tart notes), small small hint of alcohol.

M - Medium bodied, smooth & rich, perfect carbonation/feel for the style.

D - Easy to drink and I could have drank the entire bottle if it wasn't split between my g/f, myself, and Mike. Another winner from LA, the Sinners Club will enjoy this.

Sean9689, Aug 20, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Mr. Krispy and I had this early at O'Brian's on 8.13.09. Nice to meet some fellow BA's there.

As stated, this was a blend of Serpent's, Maji and 10 Commandments.

A - Deep brown almost black liquid fills a Chimay glass. Small head dissipated quickly and left but a few bubbles at the glass's edge.

S - You could really smell the Serpent's Stout with it's roasty and dark fruit aroma.

T - First hit is definitely the stout, deep coffee and roast then comes a slight tartness and finishes with some bourbon/alcohol. It amazed me how you can really taste all three of the beers in this blend.

M - Mouthfeel was silky then tart and then a little hot

D - I think LA did a great job on this blend. Just enough tart for those of us who are not huge sour fans.

stawn, Aug 18, 2009

I went over to O'Brien's Pub this past Thursday (8-13-09) to be able to try this highly anticipated beer, at least for me. Once I heard about what the blend contained (Ten Commandments aged in Bourbon barrels, Gift of the Magi aged in French Oak, and Serpents Stout aged in Port barrels) I was perplexed yet intrigued at how this would taste. The blend sounded odd and I had second thoughts on going and even thought about waiting for some reviews to flow in, but then I thought "you never know, this might be tasty." So, off I went.

Served in a Chimay goblet the beer was a dark brown hue with dirty orange highlights on the edges. There was a very thin head on top that quickly fell down until there was a single chain of small bubbles around the glass.

When I got the beer it was obviously too cold for the style, but the typical temperature for beers on-tap. I tried to concentrate but knew right away that I would have to wait a few minutes for the beer to warm up so it could become more fragrant. At first I could only pick up notes of a vinous characteristic, dark fruits--raisins, dates, and prunes--that were slightly tart, and notes of bourbon. As the beer warmed up it started to get more tannic and woodsy. I waited a few minutes and once it opened up it really started to shine. Notes of oak and Chardonnay-like fruitiness, grapes, and spices like rosemary--clearly an influence from the 10 Commandments--began to show up. Once the beer got closer to room temperature the Serpents Stout influence started to show with hints of coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts. Not too much signs of brett from this beer at this moment. At room temperature I could pick apart the beer and distinguish its components, from the raisins, dark fruits, and fragrant rosemary of 10 Commandments; to the notes of oak, vanilla, and Belgian fruitiness of Gift of the Magi; and finally the coffee, cocoa, and roastiness of Serpents Stout in the background. Clearly, this was my favorite aspect of the beer.

Initially, the flavor of this beer was very tannic, woody, followed by some soft spices, roasted malts, and a nice combination of raisins, prunes, and cocoa in the finish. After a few small sips there was an interesting note of grapes and surprisingly a cherry or strawberry-like flavor entangled in this web of complexity. More spices could be tasted as the beer's temperature increased and it also got very fragrant and flowery like lavender. The alcohol, nearly 11%, was very well hidden, for the most part, with just a bit detectable in the finish. There were also some delicate oak flavors in the aftertaste with a bit of vanilla. Not much bitterness, besides the oak tannins, but just enough dryness in the finish to balance out the sweetness of the beer. As far as brett goes, there was a bit of a leathery flavor in the finish that brought in another layer of complexity. The beer finished with hints of coffee and light, dry, chocolate. As complex as the beer was I felt there was something missing, maybe a hint more carbonation, which I will address in a little while, could have helped lifted the beer just a bit more for me. I enjoyed the flavors but maybe I would have liked just a bit more Serpents influence? Not sure, not really a "4" but better than a "3.5" score...I would give this a 3.75 if I could.

Carbonation was very low and I felt like it could have used just a bit more in the finish to lift up the beer and bring a creamier texture. Then again, I wouldn't want too much carbonation in a barrel-aged and high alcohol beer. At times the beer felt thin coming in but the finish was always full bodied and rich. This beer is meant to be sipped and enjoyed at leisure. I'm in the same dilemma as the flavor, not really 4 points for me, but higher than 3.5.

Overall this was a very interesting blend that I was glad to have tried, but one serving was enough for me though. However, the aging capability of this one seems to be very good and I would love to try this one again after a year or two.

seaoflament, Aug 17, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +20.7%

I was fortunate enough to be among the first to try this rather epic concoction at O'Brien's pub on Friday evening. I hold Lost Abbey in such high esteem because of their interesting brews, and this was certainly far from a failure to uphold that view.

As mentioned by others, the Blend is a mixture of three other Lost Abbey brews, all aged and all brewed with a particular kind of yeast strain--Brettanomyces ("Bretts"), which, due to their acidogenic nature, instill a fairly sour taste to the beers they are used for (the flavor comes from acetic acid generated during the fermentation process--this creates a vinegar-like taste). Note that the sour flavor of the beer is certainly one that makes it quite successful and interesting.

A--14oz. served in a Chimay chalice; very, very, dark, very thin head with a slight off-white/tan hue.

S--Strong scent of rosemary, likely resulting from the 10 Commandments; malty; pungent and sweet.

T--Sour and sweet, owed to the Bretts; almost overwhelmingly aromatic, stemming from all of the spices and herbals utilized in the Gift of the Magi and the 10 Commandments; The alcohol is strong, but not overwhelming. It definitely needs to be sipped or you will feel some repercussions. As a caveat to that, I'm not sure what the ABV is, but I would imagine it's somewhere above 10%.

M--Smooth is the only word I can seem to come up with. I'll leave it at that.

D--Very drinkable, but again I would urge it to be sipped. The flavors make it enjoyable, but it is very potent. Not quite as strong as a Mephistopheles, but still.

Diablerie, Aug 15, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

A- Very black with a brown tinge. Very little head

S- figs, dark fruits, prunes, bourbon, a little oak

T- Pretty complex, especially when warmed up. Similar to nose. Figs, dark fruits, prunes. A little bit of sour cherries, raisons chocolate. A little bit of a spicey finish at times

M- Kind of light, a little slippery on the tongue. Low to moderately low carbonation

D- Lots of bourbon on this one at first. But the flavor profile really opens up once it warms up. It is definitely a sipper. You can taste a lot of bourbon and serpents initially. Maybe just a tad bit more carbonation would've helped the mouthfeel (even no tap)

mikedashg, Aug 15, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

Had this on-tap at O'Briens, surprised I was beaten to the punch at reviewing this one, but I am also surprised that I was in the presence of so many other esteemed BAs. Like has been said, it's a mix of Serpent, Gift, and 10 Commandments from LA, and all with the famed Bretts.

Appearance: Dark, with some nice little tight bubbles in the head. Almost pitch black, with almost white head which surprised me for as dark as it was.

Smell: Roasted and dark, but slight astringent sourness there as well. Anise, raisin, and fig are present, and it's definitely a heavier, darker aroma.

Taste: Slightly bitter, but not quite as sours as I'd hope with the Bretts. It'd be one to age in a bottle for sure to let them get more of a sourness going, but the raisin, licorice, anise, and plum-like smells all are present, along with a medicinal, almost rosemary taste that I attribute to the 10 Commandments. Sourness just wasn't quite as brutal as I'd hoped for, but definitely a solid brew nonethess.

Mouthfeel: Dark and heavy, with that slight pucker present. Sort of slick, but not too powerful, enjoyable but not fantastic.

Drinkability: This went down pretty easy for as heavy ABV as I'd imagine it being. Would love to get my hands on a bottle of this as I'd imagine she'd age beautifully. Definitely an interesting and fun try tonight, look forward to hopefully trying this again someday.

nomomentwasted, Aug 15, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Sinners Blend 2009 is a blend of Ten Commandments aged in Bourbon Barrels, Gift of the Magi aged in French Oak Barrels, and Serpent's Stout aged in Port Barrels. Consumed on 08/14/2009 at O'Brien's. A draft pour into a Chimay glass yields a small frothy brown head. The beer is very dark, but not quite black. Traces of brown can be seen when I hold the glass to light.

The aroma is of raisins, dark chocolate, tannins, and vanilla. Bourbon adds a nice touch, and the Port aging imparts notes of plums and grapes. I get some cherry as well, but I don't know where that's coming from since it's not in any of the 3 beers. The beer has a sugary quality in the aroma which isn't quite candied or brown, but it's there nonetheless. Brett is restrained and it doesn't impart any funky notes. There's just enough for a man to say, "Hey, there's some Brett in here." The aroma was a bit muddled when first served, but when it warmed up to an adequate temperature it was quite nice.

The flavor opens up with dark fruits: plums, grapes, cherries, and raisins. The beer is slightly tart, with notes of bourbon and dark chocolate. It's also quite tannic, with some noticeable vanilla. It's sweet throughout and slightly spicy (is that the Myrrh?). Brett is more noticeable here, but it's still not prominent, and bitterness is low. The finish is hot with an increased level of tartness and sourness that lingers along with dark fruit notes and bourbon.

The beer is full bodied, and it has a nice level of low medium carbonation on draft. The mouthfeel is silky and creamy.

This beer was served at draft temperature, which always seems to be too cold for beers like this. If you drink this cold I think you'll miss some of the nuances. I suppose that's not unique to this beer, but I thought I'd mention that because my opinion on the beer changed when it warmed. I look forward to trying this out of the bottle.

HopHead84, Aug 14, 2009