Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Veritas 006 - The Lost Abbey

Veritas 006Veritas 006

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: nickd717 on 11-08-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.87/5  rDev +12%

Huge thanks to jdubfl for this one.

A: Pours a reddish pink hue with a puffy pink tinged white head. Little retention and no lace.

S: Wow I am in love. Lots of funky fruits. Citrus for sure with some subtle tart berries as well. Hints of wine, cheese, and oak.

T: Wonderful. Tart berries and a blend of sweet and tart citrus. Sweet tarts candy, cheese, oak, and acid. Very sour, very acidic, with a gentle sweetness that makes you just pine for more.

M: On the lighter side of medium, zippy carbonation, acidic from start to finish.

D: Uber, I am in love with this beer. Crazy good. To call it world class is an understatement. (632 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

On tap at Churchill's.

Pours a blood red. Like a bright marichino cherry red. A slight ring of head but beautiful color. No lacing.

Aroma is of super sourness but with a cherry sweetness. Lots of cherry aroma.

Tastes like red poppy but a little more sour and thinner/dry. Very tasty. Lots of tart cherries.

Mouthfeel is thin and mouth puckering.

Overall a damn tasty beer. Glad I could try it. (398 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -4.1%

Corked and caged 750 mL bottle. Fair warning on this one, upon uncorking this bottle a geyser shot up around a foot high out of the bottle. As quickly as possible, a glass was poured, after that it was still gushing out the top of the bottle, so another glass was filled. This is the worst gusher I have ever seen, with a significant portion of the beer ending up on the table.

What ended up in my glass was cloudy and blood red with a pink lightish head. The aroma is intense with raspberries, sour acid, lemons, and some nail polish. The beer tastes bracingly sour, one of the most sour bottles I have ever had, much more sour than the versions I tried at the brewery. Sour raspberries and lemon juice made up most of the delicious qualities, with a very dry puckering finish. This would have been a great beer, but there is some nail polish in there tainting an otherwise robust wonderful flavor. Medium bodied with a prickly yet creamy high carbonation. Tastes very good, the crazy sourness is oddly appealing, but the nail polish and acid burn drags it down. This was so close to being an A+ but a couple flaws keep it closer to an A-. (1,141 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A huge thanks to Jacob for bringing this one to a tasting this past weekend.

A: The cork popped and this one was one of the worst gushers I've ever seen (beer all over the table). Once we got it into glasses, the pour was a hazy pink, almost red grapefruit color with a fluffy pinkish head.

S: The nose on this beer is fantastically sour and fruity. A lot of orange, raspberry, and grapefruit notes come through very strongly. There is a touch of vinegar but also quite a bit of lactic tartness as well. The funkiness is a bit subdued, with perhaps a touch of must.

T: The tart fruit flavors of raspberry and grapefruit are very powerful on the palate as well. The vinegar is a bit more noticeable but not to the point of hole burning. There is also a touch of grapes which works nicely with the other fruits.

M: The body is a touch light for me, but the intense carbonation really works well here and actually makes the beer seem a bit fuller on the tongue.

D: Despite the high levels of acidity, I found myself really enjoying this beer. The fruit qualities of this beer are exceptional and really made me want to drink more. (1,132 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -37.5%

Many thanks to largadeer for sharing this at ipa247's recent tasting. Chilled bottle into a glass.

A: Pours a candy grapefruit pink body with a very short-lived head that vanishes into nothing. It's totally opaque; the glow and color are very captivating.

S: Horse blanket, urine, burnt rubber. Almost as an afterthought, raspberries. Regarding the burnt rubber, I was the only person in the entire house who smelled it; it reminded me exactly of what happens when my vacuum cleaner gets stuck on a rug and chews up the belt, or when a car peels out in traffic. Maybe something is wrong with my nose, but I had a visceral dislike for this scent immediately. EDIT: I have since smelled this aroma in other beers, and have been informed that this is cat piss. So, it's cat piss, not burnt rubber. YUM!

T: Tart raspberries, juicy grapefruit, cherries (?), urine (kind of that post-asparagus pee sensation) horse blanket. Possibly some white wine in there. A dry, tannic, and especially vinegary finish -- TOO acetic for my tastes. It practically burned a hole in my stomach. It didn't destroy the other flavors, but it certainly made it tough to enjoy them.

M: This is very dry, even burning in the throat with vinegar. Kind of unpleasant, actually. Very low carbonation.

D: To be honest, I liked this least among the sour lineup of the tasting -- and, in retrospect, against nearly every other American Wild Ale I've tried. I like the raspberry flavor, but it was so intensely acetic that it caused me physical discomfort. I don't have a strong interest in trying it again. Different strokes.

EDIT: largadeer tried this bottle and felt it was a letdown against other ones. Just the same, this was my only experience, and it was awful. No, thank you. (1,759 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -8.5%

Huge thanks to Chris(largadeer) for breaking this out at our sour tasting.

Pours a dark cherry/ruby color with hints of grapefruit and blood orange. Frothy, creamy slightly pinkish head that slowly fades into a thin lasting ring. Gorgeous looking beer!

Sweet earthy funk aroma with lots of dry brett and funky bugs. Very vinous with a prominent citrus fruit character. Lots of juicy grapefruit bursting through and a very strong earthy oaky tannis presence.

Insansely sour with an incredibly tart puckering mouthfeel. This is the most sour beer I've ever encountered. Very acidic and esophagus burning. Lots of oaky tannis and delicious acidic citrus fruit. Fresh grapefruit comes bursting through. Very vinegary and a bit harsh but there is a delcious lingering tart aftertaste that leaves me salivating for another sip. (826 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +3.9%

Big thanks to Sean9869 for bringing this one over to share. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip glass.

A - Gusher alert! (Insert Lost Abbey carbonation joke here) Thankfully I was ready for this one - took all three glasses before this one settled down. My initial pour was full or red-brown floaties and was significantly darker than all the other glasses. My second pour, which is what I used for the rating, had a finger of quick-dissolving soda-like foam and left no lacing and settling to a thin ring of bubbles with some light haziness. The body had murky orange-red color and there were raspberry seeds at the bottom of my glass. Not as attractive as Sangre del Cristo for whatever reason.

S - Very sour and tart, with a little bit of horsey funk. Red wine, vinegar, and a ton of unripe raspberries. The raspberry character was a bit reminiscent of Gargamel, but this was far more sour/tart and lacked much of the pale malt/graham cracker element.

T - The taste is actually more complex than the smell - with a some tangerine citrus and red wine grapes in addition to the aforementioned raspberry overload. The acetic acid is intense, but never strays into stomach-melting territory. Well hidden alcohol.

M - This is spot-on for an American Wild Ale. Some light soft carbonation to tickle the upper lip, then a medium body capable of supporting the depth of flavor and ABV, followed by some puckering tartness and a dry cottonmouth finish.

D - The intense acetic acid and high ABV are the only thing stopping this from being perfect. I was very sad when I discovered the bottle was empty - the 8oz or so that I got left me craving more. Delicious, and an improvement, albeit slight, on the Sangre version. (1,709 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Shared with Alex (Masterski) at his place to celebrate my moving to Chicago! Glad to be up here with so many awesome BAs. Poured from 750ml bottle into Bell's snifter/tulip.

Veritas 006 is Lost Abbey's Sangria with the addition of Angel's Share aged on Cabernet Franc grapes. The original Sangria had some Funky Duck in there with tangerines, sour Avant Garde, and not sure what else.

A - Super-gusher alert! Well, besides filling Alex's glass with tons of uber-funky foam, my pour is quite nice. A pinkish/reddish color with a white fizzy head. There's a thin white cap and along with a ring around the edge of the glass.

S - This one smells sweet but you can't not notice the funk that is right behind it. Sweet raspberries, sour/tart notes, lots of funk, barnyard. Really, a nice mix of funk and raspberries. I can taste the Funky Duck but not so much the tangerines...I think the raspberries overwhelm any fruit notes.

T - Very similar to the nose, but more funk! Sweet raspberries, a nice funk/sour/tart, barnyard, horse blanket. It's great when a beer smells so damn good and then it tastes exactly the same, we have a winner here!

M - Light bodied, fizzy carbonation, crisp/dry finish. Similar to the 004 in feel...spot-on for the style. I just want to hold the liquid in my mouth forever but there's too many other good beers to drink!

D - Just an awesome sour! Tomme once again does it again. Not as good as 004 but better then 003.

Edit: Tried this again 10/09/10 and it was just awesome. The raspberries were so pronounced and it's gotten ever better after several months of cellaring. (1,606 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +12.6%

Many thanks to a great trader for this one. I felt exceptionally lucky popping the cork to enjoy this one by the fire.

Appearance: Quite cloudy, nice pink head, deep ruby burgundy sangria color. Bit of a gusher.

Smell: Wow, enormous. Incredibly sour, raspberries, red grapes, and other ripe fruits. Some funk, vinegar, and french oak, and definitely a bit of red poppy.

Taste: Immensely sour, this is a combination of the sour from veritas 003 and 004 with the flavor of 001 and 002. Great combination. Once again the cherries, red grapes, raspberries, merlot, funk, vinegar, and french oak. Probably the most sour Lost Abbey beer I have tasted, although they started in that direction with DDG.

Mouthfeel: Perfectly carbonated, they always get it right for this series.

Drinkability: Near-perfect.

*NB, I much prefer this one to Veritas 003 and 004, harkens back to 001 and 002 which were my favorites, although this one is much more sour than those earlier offerings. This continues to be one of Lost Abbey's best offerings, sadly the other, regular offerings to not live up. (1,083 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +10.8%

I felt exceptionally lucky to be able to open this one up on xmas eve and sit by the fire and enjoy it. Served at fifty five degrees and poured into an oversized wine glass, this one was consumed on 12/24/2009.

The pour was nice, dark pinkish color coming out of the bottle really set it apart right away. Very cloudy with a small, light pink, almost white colored head on top of it that fluttered out and only left minimal lacing. After about two minutes we ended up with what looked like a cloudy koolaid.

Then I went in for a whiff and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Huge notes of cherry right up front, raspberries, sour apples, just rich and ripe with fruit. Very few beers bring this thick, sour, funk, fruit mash up to your face, and here we have it again. Light spicey notes coming up as it warms now as well. Flawless flavor here, seriously just could not get enough of this, has to be some red poppy in here as it has that richness of the tart cherries that I love but with more hints of apples and raspberries thrown in as well. Smooth, velvety carbonation prickles the tongue as you take each sip. Really just enchanting. No hint of the ABV at all, I could have drank this forever and indeed the bottle was gone before I knew what to do.

Overall this was extremely solid. Just a pleasure of a beer. Lost Abbey has taken some hits lately, but this is what I expect from them and the reason they are held to such high standards. This was really in a class of its own. (1,482 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%

Wow, now here's one that I never thought I would get to try. A million thanks to Mikey for the chance, what a great way to kick off a tasting. From notes during the Rush Hour Tasting.

Pours a hazy pinkish ruby color with whispy white peach colored head that doesn't stand very tall. Leaves some abstract lacing but little to no retention.

At colder temperatures, this beer was extremely juicy with fruits galore. Raspberries, Blackberries, Cherries and soft oak. Acetic Acid and a dash of red wine vinegar. Vinous. I was surprised at the lack of funkiness. As it warmed however, I got a solid underlying mustiness that really rounded out the profile.

In the flavor, this juicy profile follows with a myriad of fruits and a moderate acidity. Somehow I was expecting it to be more tart, but that's not to say that it isn't sour. Nice balance between the funkiness and juicy over-ripened fruit once it reached higher temperatures, leading to a bone-dry finish.

The 006 had a prickly carbonation initially, which I actually found to be a bit too high. After a few swirls of the glass and knocking some of the carbonation out, I actually enjoyed this more. It allowed more of the funkiness to balance out the sharp acidity which helped to round out the beer. Drinkability is high, but I'm forcing myself to drink it slow and savor because it's one I know I won't be having again.

This is a great beer and my first venture into the Veritas series, I hope it's not the last. (1,474 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

Yet another one of my reviews that got lost in the recent crash so it wont be as long as it was.

A: Pinkish read and very cloudy. Had a good amount of carbonation around that held pretty well.

S: Lots of fruitiness in this one, all of which were on the tart side. Orange, lemon cherries, raspberries and a mild hint of mustiness and brett.

T: Again heavy one the fruity side with tart lemon, orange cherries, watermelon, tangerine. Also had some notes of green apple sourness. There is just enough sweetness in there and while not brett centric, very nicely sour without being vinegary. The entire time i was drinking it it reminded me of pink lemonade.

M: Very acidic and slighly rough around the edges.

D: This was my first experience in the veritas series and damn was it awesome. I wish my original review had not been deleted but oh well. this was a great beer for sure (881 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +8.5%

Another White Wale from our epic Rush Hour Tasting I. Also thanks to Mikey711 for cracking this one.

A: Bright red almost glowing with a funky look. Lots of carbonation but not really any head as it all pops quickly. Very hazy as well.

N: Nose has a sour fruity grape raspberry with some oak. Super sour fruit really starts to come through, like sour patch kids in aroma form. The oak and slight vanilla almost quality adds a nice roundedness to it. A very slight yeasty aroma fizzles out, but its so faint you can't really tell.

T: Wow, so delicious. Citrus and sour fruit come out right away. Not as sour as I expected from the nose. Lots of orange, grapefruit, grapes, sour cherry, sour green apple, and some raspberry round off the fruit department. This is followed closely with some oak smoothness. It's semi tart but not overbearing. As it warms a musty concord grape like taste seems to come out a bit. There isn't much to be said for funkiness, its just a delicious slightly sour fruit, bubbles, and some oak. It's also very crisp yet smooth at the same time.

M: Tons of bubbles, crisp flavors, slightly tart, and juicy. Also adds slight acidity that adds a somewhat pleasant but very light sting.

F: Finishes semi dry with lots of bubbles helping the drinkability of it quite a bit. It really is like the champagne of beers. The slightly sour tart fruit seems to hang a bit to give you a nice finish, but doesn't overstay its welcome. The reminder of the nice grapefruit and sour apple do seem to cling for a little while longer as well so you can continue to enjoy it. This beer is so good and drinkable its very hard not to just sip away too quickly. (1,668 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%

From an awesome tasting.. Rush Hour Tasting, v. 1. Big ups to Mikey711 for cracking this one.

Poured into a Chouffe tulip. (thanks, ineedabeerhere)

A- Pink, rosy, mild carbonation. Beer is almost shimmering, spectacular coloration.

S- Sour... tart, wild cherries, almost unripe cherries, actually. Vinegar is apparant in the nose and is oh-so appealing.

T- Again, sour, tart cherries. A bit of fruitiness that goes beyond cherries, but I can't quite place it. This beer is mouth-puckeringly good. I get crisp, granny smith apples and some red grapes as well.

M- Crisp beyond belief.. mouth-puckering, incredible mouthfeel, also more carbonated then the initial pour let on. Honestly one of the best-feeling beers I've ever tasted, bubbles in the mouth, which is a great contrast to the sour and tart awesomeness. No sign of the ABV, so I'm bumping to 5.

D- Well... moderate, all things considered. I doubt I'll ever see this one again. But if I had access to it, it would be consumed in great quantities. It is really really an amazing beer. Too pricey and too rare to be anything more than a rare treat... but damn if I've been this impressed with a beer in a while. Greatness in a bottle. (1,199 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Well, this is the only Veritas I've had to this point, and now I've had it twice. Ticker's worst nightmare, I know. Entering a second review, this time out of the bottle. largadeer supplied this rare treat for a tasting - thanks, Chris!

Gusher alert! The typical question came up before we opened this bottle: Would it be carbonated? Looks like Tomme wanted to show people that he had the ability to carbonate a beer. A volcano of foam exploded out of this bottle - the very antithesis of opening a bottle of Angels Share. The beer poured deep bright red, somewhat cloudy, with a white head that disappeared before too long.

Aroma is raspberry, cherry, and acetic acid. Sweet, tart, and vinegary, with just a hint of solventy notes..

Flavor is mostly tart with some sweetness to balance. Tart, funky raspberry and cherry along with vinegar/acetic flavors. Had this right after 3F Hommage, and while it fell just a bit short of that, it was still very good.

Medium body with a really lively mouthfeel. Lots of prickly carbonation. Long biting tart finish. Good drinkability. (1,077 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap @ the Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens on 11/9/09 during the "Tomme Arthur Experience" event. Served in a snifter.

Pours a deep rosy amber, with a thin covering of fizzy off-white head. Retains with some foam around the edges and light wisps in the center, leaving back some sparse lacing. The aroma is fruity and tart in the nose, with notes of cherries, raspberries, apples, and grapes. There is a bit of a funky and souring vinegar feel in the background but it doesn't get distracting. I'm getting a touch of candied sweetness and vanilla as well, which evens things up a tad. Very nice overall balance here to the nose, with vinous and oaky character giving this a certain amount of slickness in the nostrils.

The taste luckily has a lot of that juicy fruit character going on with it as well, which comes off as equal parts tart and sweet. The tartness comes off as only lightly acidic and never really becomes overly souring. There is lot of barrel character towards the back of the profile, with deep woody tannic dryness emerging. I'm really glad to see that the fruit flavors stay at the forefront here, as they really do make this beer. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a lighter feeling creaminess to it that then gives way to a more slicker and oily vinous presence. Pretty darn drinkable for a 8% Wild Ale as well but nothing overly earthshattering to the drinkibility.

Tart, funky, and heavy on the fruit character, this was another complex, yet well balanced winner of a Wild Ale from the Lost Abbey. The only other Veritas blend I've had besides this one was the 004 (which was also excellent) and me thinks that I need to make more of an effort to track future releases down. (1,714 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +0.5%

I opened one of my bottles this past Tuesday night (11/24) at La Bella and shared it with Danny, Joey, Shane and Ivan for a little pre-Thanksgiving tasting.

Veritas 006 poured out of the bottle a similar color to what I remember on tap. A murky red with hints of violet and a fast receding white head that retains a quarter inch or so for the entirety of the session.

The aroma is pure sour fruit salad that opens up with some green apples, red apples, grapes, red wine, oak tannins, berries galore, and a strong vinegar character in the background.

The taste is similar to the aroma with a mixture of fruits, green apples are at the forefront followed by the berries, pears, tannins, lots of grapes, raspberries, cherry skins, apple skins and the ever present acetic quality of the beer that just rips through your mouth and down to the pit of your stomach. Effervescent at first, almost sparkling but after a few moments the carbonation falls to the lower spectrum but the intense dryness and tannins replace the effects of the carbonation. Holy crap, is this beer dry...my tongue feels abused, mocked, ridiculed, and tortured--as if it was punished with a piece of sand paper. I really like this beer though and I enjoy a punishing sour every now and then. (1,262 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

What an experience of a beer! Had this given to me 'drive-by' style from an overly generous WALTONC.

Smelling this beer while walking up to my front door truly took my breath away. The distinct raspberry tartness and ripe plum sweetness were extremely pronounced, and then the lactic acid that nearly made my eyes water. As I walked in my home and held the glass up to the light, the dark maroon, slightly oxidized tone was just beautiful. Again, the aromas hit me and I couldn't help but spend the next two minutes taking it in. Very bold.

The taste was so direct and sharp with a highly acidic nearly raw rhubarb tartness. Very unique transgression from fresh lemon juice pucker to a semi-sweet combination of dried cherries, raspberry coulis and a VERY strong vinous essence. After a few second on the palate, the harsh acetic acid did horrible damage to my tongue. No degree of balance, rough around the edges and a bit excruciating to get though.

There is no head, even with a harsh and very violent twirl in my glass. With that said the mouthfeel came not from weight but from the very long and tart finish. Even with a chaser of water this beer won't let the inside of my mouth go; held hostage by the extreme blast of 'American wild-ale'.

The sharpness and extreme tongue piercing qualities eventually numbed my mouth enough for a certain level of enjoyment to play out. A bit of earth and a hint of funk but overall just too much acetobacter for me to really be convinced.

Veritas 6 is completely unique and very distinct in it's style. Not as complex or nearly as rounded as some of the older Gueuze beers. With this one really comes to understand why these beers need to be blended. This is the Turley of the beer world, rather than quietly letting you find what you like, it just yells obscenities at you.

Big beer, won't forget this one, and won't hope to come across it any time soon. (1,904 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours red, kind of like raspberry lemonade in color with no head whatsoever. Looking at this from the side, there are swirls of different color shades - kind of like those V8 fruit drinks with the disclaimer that color swirls are natural. Smells of tart raspeberries, with a hint of funk. The first thing that hits the tongue is that sweet raspberry flavor, followed by a tart aftertaste that's not overly funky. Highly acidic stuff, but it doesn't blow out your palate with sour overload. Gets sweeter as it warms. Medium bodied with a fair amount of carbonation, in spite of the complete absence of head. Overall, a really nice, drinkable sour from Lost Abbey, as usual. (672 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Draft at Stone, drank an admittedly excessive amount of this as no one else seemed to be ordering it.

The beer is a murky burgundy color, bright but opaque, with virtually no head. Turbid, but the color is beautiful.

Intense fruit in the nose, primarily raspberries, but I can pick out sour cherries beneath it. There's a strong acetic acid presence as well, along with hints of earth and the faintest trace of funk. A clean, fruity, concentrated wild ale. The fruit aroma really makes this one.

Tastes strongly of raspberries, ripe and tart, backed by strong acetic and lactic sourness. Easily the most acetic Lost Abbey beer I've had; their beers generally have more of a lactic sourness, but I find the acetic character working quite well with the bright fruit flavor. Raspberries and cherries are all-consuming here, carrying through to the finish where I get a bit of woody tannic character that makes me think of raspberry seeds. Like most of my favorite fruit beers, the fruit flavor completely overwhelms any nuance here without actually being remotely sweet. It may be one-dimensional, but it's also delicious. (1,122 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Numerous glasses consumed in a snifter on 11/09/2009 on tap at Stone's Tomme Arthur Experience with largadeer. This beer is Lost Abbey's Sangria with the addition of Angel's Share aged on Cabernet Franc grapes. The beer is a beautiful deep burgundy with a nice fizzy one finger purplish pink head. Great coloring.

The nose is of vibrant raspberries. I heard people around me describing the nose as cherry, but all I could smell were raspberries. They're authentic and maintain a moderate sugary sweetness without smelling artificial. The nose doesn't have any noticeable funk, rather a mild tartness with some lactic character. Moderate acetic character in the nose. The fruit is outstanding.

The taste is dominated by fresh and moderately tart raspberries. The fruit is expressive and utter quality, with a low moderate sweetness. The sourness is clean, with no funk, being more lactic in character. There's a distinct acetic presence that is at a nice moderate level, just enough to notice the burn in the back of your throat but not enough to be unpleasant. The fruit dominates but it's quite excellent. Great raspberry flavor. Finishes with acetic character, and tart raspberry lingers.

Upper low carbonation but just enough to keep it from being syrupy. Excellent stuff. I drank my fill. (1,295 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +5.1%

On tap at the Lost Abbey Barrel Tasting '09.

A - Slightly hazy, brilliant ruby red color. Very pretty color! Small white, slightly foamy head.

S - Fruity and a little Sour. Tart raspberry and cherries.

T - Flavor is fruity and a little sour like the nose. Also, a tart rasberry and cherry purée kind of flavor with some sweetness and a little vanilla. The raspberry/cherry really hits you. Makes itself very present. Not overly sour, just moderately sour. Pretty balanced.

M - A little acidic and creamy. Moderate carbonation, not too much, defeintely not too little.

D - Loved this sour. Really drinkable. It was really well balanced in carbonation, sourness, tartness and fruityness. Not overly complex, but the cherry/raspberry flavor was pretty overpowering, and this was a good thing. (796 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

They weren't kidding when they said this tasted like the Sangria offered at the Sinners Dinner. It's pretty damned close. I'd need a side by side tasting to try to figure out what's different. Supposedly a blend of Isabelle, raspberries, and avante garde, but who knows. Also bottled, supposedly, with brett ... but again, I'm not sure.

Pours a cloudy, somewhat hazy pinkish red. Even at a barrel tasting, some gobs of white foamy head.

Smells like raspberries. The other reviewer says cherries, but the raspberries in this (to me at least) are pretty framboise-esque. There's a light lemon bite to the aroma and the flavor that I don't recall from the Sangria (one server told me that this was a slightly different, but similar blend ... but again, who knows). This also was a bit more fruit forward in the flavor. It's a friendly, more welcoming sour, but quite good and very drinkable. There's really just a whisper of funk/barnyard notes. It's mostly sweet and sour fruit overlaid on a lip smacking oak base.

If they really bottled it with brett, it might change over the years. Much like with Sangria, I kind of feel like I'm underrating this ... it didn't have the complexity of an Isabelle or a Duck Duck Gooze, but maybe I should have more appreciation for a straight-forward beer done perfectly ... I must ruminate upon this. (1,339 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last