Veritas 005 - The Lost Abbey

Veritas 005Veritas 005

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HopHead84 on 11-16-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

4.98/5  rDev +5.3%

One of the 6 bottles Tomme brought as he showed up on my doorstep uninvited. I let him in, I guess ;-) Poured into my mini snifter.

A - Beautiful dark red almost pinkish color. Bottle popped and fizzed as it poured. Very, very slight bubbles on the side of glass.

S - Huge musty grape smell up front. Slight acidity on the back end.

T - Wow. Interesting red grape combo straight up front. Very interesting varietal. A fantastic amount sourness right in the middle and finishes up on the back end. Mouth puckering that hits you right in the back of the tongue.

M - Super acidity that makes your mouth water. Nice medium body and some brilliant lingering sourness.

O - This is probably the best sour beer I have ever tasted. Such an interesting integrated unique beer. Never thought in a millions years I'd get my hands on this one. Random and brilliant.

4.93/5  rDev +4.2%

I suppose Veritas 005 is fitting for review #500. Consumed on 11/15/2009 at O'Brien's Lost Abbey rare bottle tasting amidst a Veritas 001-006 vertical at the tail end of the first San Diego Beer Week. Veritas 005 is described as an experimental batch (6 cases) that features wild native Southern California grapes (Vitis Girdianas) and a sour base beer (sour Avant Garde?). Veritas 005 is the same beer as Veritas 005 Vino. The beer appears a beautiful pinkish reddish purple. I can't say that I've ever before seen a beer of this color. The head is fizzy and white. Great clarity and color.

The nose is dusty grape skins with wet leather character and a distinct funk reminiscent of barnyard and wet horse blanket. The grapes are vibrant, and I detect a little plum. The nose has an earthy character with noticeable wood and tannins. It's similar to St. Lamvinus, but with a more potent wild grape aroma.

The flavor is excellent, with vibrant grape notes interspersed among musty barnyard funk. The beer has a subtle lactic character to it, and wet leather, goaty, and subtle cheese notes are evident. The most prominent fruit is apparently grape, but I think more specifically tart grape skins. Wood and tannins provide a drying finish, with a mouth watering succulent grape tartness. Outstanding.

The mouthfeel is dry with an almost numbing tannic quality. I think this gives 004 a run for its money as the best in the Veritas series. I really hope to see something similar recreated in the future. Highly recommended.

4.93/5  rDev +4.2%

I pulled this one out of the cellar after a long time coming. 750ml C&C bottle into mini-snifter. Shared with the crew.

A - Pours bright neon red, seriously a beautiful color, white head, some bubbles here and there, and a thin collar. I could easily pick this beer out with the red hue it gives off, wow!

S - Red wine/grape, huge sour/tart note, oak, grape skins. This has everything you'd want in a world-class our. Excellent tartness, nice oak, wonderful fruity sourness. More 3F or Cantillon then anything from the US...(this is huge compliment).

T - Phenomenal tart/sour, red wine, oak, grape skins, funk, barnyard, musty notes. Again, more lambic-esque then anything I've ever had from a US brewery. Just.Simply.Awesome.

M - Body is light, good carbonation, super dry finish.

O - I never thought another Veritas would be able to top 004 and I was proven wrong with 005. Worth all the wait, hype, and tears I shed when this bottle was opened. Glad I could share with good friends who seemed to enjoy this as much as me. Doubt I'll ever have the chance again, unless Tomme does a Veritas vertical tasting in the future. Mind-blowingly-good.

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%

A huge thanks to Sean for sharing a beer I'd assumed I'd never get to try. Served in an Alvinne snifter.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thin ring of bubbles. Transparent ruby red body with some amber highlights to it. Small streams of quick-moving bubbles are visible.

S - Musky grapes, light oak, huge vinous character, and very Belgian "green" funk in the Drie Fonteinen tradition. Some mild acetic acid and fruity sweetness. Surprisingly lambic-like, and not very "American" at all.

T - Tart grape skins and sour acetic notes - more than the aroma implies but still well-balanced. Largely vinous, but with a hefty dose of earthy funk, hint of leather (a la Don Quijote), and only mild oak presence. This is possibly the most "Belgian" American Wild Ale I've had, and that is meant in the most complimentary way.

M - Pleasant medium-low carbonation, medium-full body, light stickiness, and a lightly dry finish with some tannins present as well. A bit heavy considering the extremely lambic-like taste, but otherwise very pleasant.

D - This is pretty much reference quality for the style. Short of a bit more dryness, spritz, and foam, I can't think of any way to improve this beer. The light oak presence and restrained acidity makes this feel more like something Armand would make than a typical Tomme beer. I think this is the crowning achievement of the Veritas series, and ample proof that American sours are catching up to their Belgian counterparts.

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Huge thanks to Sean for sharing this rarity. Review #1500.

A - This beer is a bright, neon red. There's a little pink in there almost. Exceptionally distinctive, and novelty cool looking. Just the bare minimum of white head that disappeared quickly and left nothing on the sides.

S - Grapes, sweet vinous notes, quite sour. There's a bit of oak in there that is soft enough not to obliterate the rest of the great smells coming from the beer. Has a nice acetic tartness.

T - Not sure it's going to get a whole lot better than this. Awesome tart and sour notes, with a kick of sweetness that makes this about perfect. Sour cherries, grapes, touch of oak. Easy to drink, full of flavor, and refreshing.

M - Light, moderate carbonation, nice dry finish.

O - One of the best beers I've had the priviledge of having. It's a shame there isn't more of this in existence as it's truly an experience.

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Tomme had a great story about Veritas 005 that he shared with us at our Veritas vertical at O'Brien's. It was the last day of San Diego Beer Week and the last event for O'Brien's and for Lost Abbey.

We were each poured about 4oz's of the red/purple tinted ale as the story was relayed to us. A man came into the brewery suggesting they make a beer using some wild grapes that were growing in his son's yard. Lost Abbey agreed and when time came for delivery, they awaited their truck load of grapes.

The man walked in, there was no truck. He carried with him two 5 gallon buckets of the wild Cabernet Franc grapes. If there was any question why only 72 bottles were made, this laid it to rest.

The tart nose of 005 is noticeable immediately. From the aroma you would assume you're getting a tart, yet sweet beer.

The flavor is fairly complex. Sour fruits and grape skin tartness with a medium dry finish. Very little of the body that is present at first taste remains and there is no sticky or sweet remnants. This is a beer you could drink all night and enjoy every sip like it was the first.

I wish this beer wasn't so rare, though there is hope. Tomme said that they may be in contact with another producer of cab franc grapes and they'll be experimenting with this style again. Just a week ago, though he gave no indication of what they might become, another 2 buckets of California wild cab franc grapes arrived at Lost Abbey.

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Sooo thanks to Tomme for bringing this one to the tasting.

Pours a gorgeous dark ruby red with a thin white head. The smell here is incredible - sweet grapes and oak with a nice bit of sour and funk. Flavor here is absolutely incredible, I should note that I love grape sours, but this is about as good as it gets: the balance is absolutely incredible, grape flavor is fantastic, it's a little sweet and really damn sour, but super drinkable. Medium-bodied with nice carbonation - sourness leaves a great tingly feel. Overall, this beer is fantastic with a unique grape character I haven't experienced with any other beer. Totally lives up to the hype!

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

thanks to Sean for this epic brew, really excited to try this, now I'm disappointed because is one of the best beers out there and one I'll actually never have again... pours a super bright medium pink, no head... the nose is acidic tart wine, so balanced... wow, this is tart, cherry jolly rancher with red wine tannins, outstanding

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%

Never thought i would get to try this one beer because this beer doesnt exist.

A: It pours with a champagne like carbonation. its a reddish pink, very much like cranberry juice, very nice clarity and a bit of a ring around the top.

S: This is just straight up funk. there is some cheesiness and plenty of wood tannins. The grapes are very pleasant adding some tartness.

T: Its very acidic with a lot of wine like tannins. quite dry and plenty of tart grapes. Loads of funkiness. This is one of the funkiness beers I have ever had. Very nice wood notes as well

M: A little bit of prickly carbonation which I liked and some acidity. Very dry and champagne like. Extremely easy to drink for a sour especially

D: I enjoyed this during a partial veritas veritcal and found this to be my favorite of the bunch and in fact, the overall funkiness of this was incredible and one of the most enjoyable sours I have ever had

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

HUGE thanks to Mikey711 for providing this one. I never thought I'd see a bottle, much less get to taste it. Opened 5/29/10. 4oz. pour from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a .5 finger semi-coarse white head that dissipates quickly. Beer is a stunning, clear amber. Lacing is near non-existant with a bit of stringyness for a little tease.

S: Big and bold raspberry notes upfront. Funky, and slightly yeasty. Tartness in the back is detectable but is covered for the most part by a grape peel sweetness.

T: Light grape presence upfront. Vinous and tart. Sweetness grows though the tartness never really fades. Spicy in the middle from ample carbonation. Raspberries, grape, and lemon. Woodiness in the background. Finishes with a slight tartness and a messy aftertaste of lemon and grape peel.

M: Light bodied and highly carbonated. Rough around the edges and jumps in the mouth. Perfect for the style. Dry and saliva-enducing. Finishes messy but with such a pleasant aftertaste that I don't mind at all.

D: Amazing. From the appearance, to the smell, to the taste and feel, this beer comes together wonderfully in every aspect. Complex yet clean and simple at the same time, I thoroughly enjoyed every drop of this mythical nectar. Don't pass this one up if you ever get a chance.

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Catching up on some of my reviews. Will start with the most memorable. Opened at an epic tasting last summer - Can't remember who provided this, there were too many wales being opened by too many people.

A: Poured a clear ruby red color (very vibrant, glowing red) that reminded me of some of the great Krieks of the world. Low carbonation (not flat by any means, just enough to leave a small spritzy head, that soon vanished).

S: We had Cantillon Don Quijote right before this. And to my surprise, they had similar qualities. Funky, cheesy, gym socks, and rick, lucious grapes/cherries. Ripe red cherries and vinous sour grapes.

T: About as close to a Belgian sour I have ever had. Blind-folded, I would not have guessed this was an American Wild. Incredibly funky, musty, damp basement, sour cherry, sour grapes. Very juicy and fruity.

Overall, just spectacular!

4.73/5  rDev 0%

Yet another beer that I thought I would never get to try that was hand delivered by Tomme and crew. Poured into a tasting snifter.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy red color with hardly any head at all.

Smell: This one smells very tart with some vinegar and wine notes. I'm getting some funk with the sour notes, but this one is pretty bright and fruity as well.

Taste: This beer might have been my favorite of the night. Bright and fruity grapes but it's also incredibly sour. The sour notes are not at all vinegar like, reminds me of fresh lemon juice. The sourness stays on the tongue. Very refreshing. I really enjoyed type of grapes in the beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with aggressive and foamy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This beer was so refreshing and different. I loved the grapes. This one was up there with Veritas 004 for my favorite of the night.

4.7/5  rDev -0.6%

I expected to cross paths with this beer, but never in the fashion that I did. Thank you, Tomme.

Like a dark rose, this is red with no head or no lacing. I like the color here. The nose is surprisingly mellow. Bright with sour grapes, rather wild and moderately tannic. As it warms up, I get some peppery aromas with a mildly musky grape aroma (not as musky as a Concord grape, but muskier than your regular table grapes). Moderately lemony base beer sourness is present too.

The palate opens super sour but the grape character that is a counterpoint to it is just outstanding. Rich, deep with notes of chocolate, cocoa, raspberry jam, rhubarb tartness, this is very good. The fruity tartness and the grape character is singular. A little bit of a seedy tannin character is present, I wonder if that's because there were seeds in the grapes, or due to stems? I don't know. Medium-light in body, medium-light in carbonation with a great finish that's got a blend of lemony and lactic sourness and wild grapes, this is an exceptional sour, and despite the fairly high sourness, this is exceptionally drinkable.

4.65/5  rDev -1.7%

Wow, another one. Just ridiculous that I got to try this non existent beer, many thanks. From notes.

Pours a brilliant bursting cherry red with some light foam of pinkish hue.

Aroma is, wow. So much funkier than I would have expected. Cheesy qualities. Feet. It smells like feet.... that might have athletes foot. Wet wood and a great fruit burst of grape flavor. Its just generally very 'wild' and 'untamed' smelling.

Taste is very vinous, berries, grapes. Sharp acidity, same expressive funk character here, though in a lesser capacity. Great tannin presence, contributing to the excellently dry, nearly leathery finish.

Excellent mouthfeel, well carbonated but not overly spritzery. Just a very nice beer, and a true shame that it was produced in such limited quantities.

4.65/5  rDev -1.7%

Review 1000, by (mostly) accident. Sampled alongside Veritas 001 through 010 at our sour death march. Thanks to Matt, Matt, Matt, Dan, Paul, Daryl, Ben, Mike and Mike for making this happen. Oh, almost forgot Richard.

Pours a murky, ruby pink color with wispy, quickly dissipating white head. Aroma has a slight oak and fruit sweetness throughout. Red wine and grape acidity dominates with mild tartness. Flavor is vinous and sour, remarkable red grape fruit and tartness with a slight cherry-like essence and oak flavor through the finish. Tannic, medium body, very dry, with fine moderate carbonation and a long lasting finish. Not quite my favorite of our special tasting, but remarkable regardless of its rarity. Boom.

4.65/5  rDev -1.7%

Consumed with all ten Veritas beers on April 14, 2012. This long sought after brew was graciously shared by GRG1313. Thank you so much, Richard.

The beer is a beautiful ruby hue with a light haze. The small head dissipates within a few minutes. Fantastic aroma of grapes, wine, oak. The flavor is outstanding as well. Elegant and light. Grapes shine through brilliantly. A pleasant acetic finish with lingering tart grape juice. A superb feel. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to try this. Along with 004 & 006, this is one of my favorites from the ten Veritas beers.

4.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The elusive 005 bottle was traded to me by an awesome RB guy. Caged and corked 750ml makes a medium carbonation pop sound when opened and poured into a Flute.

Appearance: Pours the color of canned cranberry sauce (red / purple) with slightly lighter folds and a 1 finger white crown that displays moderate retention as well as little lace.

Smell: Grape juice, sour berries, lactic goodness, nice amount of horseblanket / feet funk, and a bit of cheese. Very well balanced.

Taste: Same as the nose but not as much complexity or depth. Good amount of tartness and grape juice flavor with less of the funk coming through. As it warms I start getting notes of strawberry.

Mouthfeel: Very dry, light side of medium bodied, with formidable carbonation. I'd score it higher if the carbonation was a bit softer.

Drinkability: Addictive.