Framboise De Amorosa - The Lost Abbey

Framboise De AmorosaFramboise De Amorosa

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: largadeer on 02-09-2010

Framboise de Amorosa is our first foray into the world of raspberry beers. It begins as Lost and Found ale and is sent into freshly emptied red wine barrels. The beer spends over a year in the wood during which time it is spiked with three additions of raspberries.

The first sip produces a sweet start with a long drawn out sour finish. Some of the sweetness from the raspberries comes out before acidic notes join the mix. On the back end of the beer is a smoothing oak character which keeps the beer from becoming dull.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Framboise De Amorosa Alström Bros
Ratings: 925 | Reviews: 227

Holy shizzle. I split this with the wife tonight.

Nice pop and a heady pour. A dark clear rustic brown. Nice head/lacing.

Smells like ripe raspberries getting shoved up your nose. A really deep sour, not a lot of funk. Nice and tart.

Taste like raspberries! Sour, tart. A nice smooth sour quality. All the sweetness it used to have has turned into a really nice sour.

M-Light to medium bodied and spritzy.

O-Damm good beer. Fresh this was sweet and delicious, aged it's tart and delicious. Nice job Lost Abbey.

This is my favorite raspberry sour I've ever had.

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

The beer pours out a dark pink color with a tan head that has great retention, but isnt very fine...sparse bubbles. The color is very murky. The aroma is incredibly balanced between the high acidic sourness and the raspberry. Great sour smell! The raspberry is very noticeable an compliments the beer's flavors very well. There is no acetobacter and the sourness is absolutely spot-on. What a beer. One of my favorite styles when done the right way (this being a killer American fruited sour). I'd love to try the base beer also. In the mouth it has a medium body which is lightened by the high carbonation, which combined with refreshing sourness, acidity, and tartness from fruit makes this super drinkable. I wish it would last longer.

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

An absolutely phenomenal beer. I was thrilled to death to be able to get ahold of this one and wasted no time at all with trying it. Served chilled and poured into a snifter, this one was consumed on 04/30/2010.

The pour could not have been better as the rich red liquid poured out into the glass. Full of haze and cloudiness the cherry color really just popped about as big as I could have imagined. Amazing head of nearly three fingers in height just rises up over the top of the glass, coating everything it touches and not faded for anyone. Stunning.

The aroma was to die for. Deep, tart raspberries were so strong and prevelent it was almost unlike anything I have come across before. Huge aroma, lightly tart, but yet sweet with hints of like woody notes in the back that are all but buried by the huge fruit flavor. Simply amazing as it rolls across the tongue, smooth, even carbonation just a wonderfully rich fruit flavor that would not quit. Raspberry and cherry dominate here with a light tartness and sweetness that seem to be offset but a touch of spice. This was just dripping with ripe fruit flavors to the point That you had all you could do to not drink the entire thing in five minutes, Simply outstanding.

This may be the best I have had from Lost Abbey in terms of fruite beers ever. Maybe it was just me but I have never had something that worked for me so well with this rich flavor. Cannot say enough good things here.

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

I'm a sucker for well made brews that use raspberries.

375ml caged and corked bottle.

A big pop when I removed the rather stubborn cork, it pours a cloudy colour of pinkish brown. A solid 1 finger of white with pink influences foam is in my goblet and I see some good lacing.

The smell is wonderful. Tart and semi sweet raspeberries and the nose that oak imparts on a brew but it's the raspberries that rules this roost.

The taste just bowls me over with its deliciousness. I get a slight sweet raspberry flavour off the bat that turns decidely tart and yummy. When I swish the beer in my mouth, the sweet flavour seems to intensify and I notice the oak character more but one doesn't drink a brew swishing the beer in one's mouth for the whole session, does one? lol.

I get a bit of vanilla here and some earthy malt tones especially near and through the finish. There's also quite a lot of bitterness in the finish, actually throughout. Those raspberries just doing their thing? I guess so and it works for me. Wow. I can't stop sipping on this sucker. A hugely delicious American Wild Ale and something I expected from the gang at Lost Abbey.

On the medium side of medium bodied with the carbo firmly in medium territory that makes for a sliky smooth mouthfeel. Oh and the foam just *never* quits.

Drinkability? This would be a very difficult brew for me to cellar as it is SO ready to drink right now and that being said, the liquid in my glass is flying the hell out. Outstanding. World class. 'nuff said.

4.77/5  rDev +9.9%

Superb sour from Lost Abbey. Thanks Mike for the opportunity to try this one! Pours a hazy, reddish brown with a lacy tan head that settles to a thin cover.

Fantastic nose has big notes of fresh raspberries, barnyard funk, oaken wine barrels and sour yeast.

Well balanced flavor profile. Again, lots of tart raspberries, musty funk, oak, wine grapes, and a somewhat acidic vinegar presence.

Spritzy carbonation. Clean, crisp body. Complex finish.

This is drinking very well right now. But the vinegar presence wories me a bit. May not be the best candidate for the cellar.

4.74/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Monk's Kettle, San Fran Beer Week 2014

4.73/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I tought Cuvee de Tomme was the non-plus-ultra of Lost Abbey sour/wild beers until I meet Framboise de Amorosa at Khyber Pass during a Philly Beer Week.

Imagine the freshest berries splashed with 25-year-old balsamic vinegar and served in beer form. Welcome to Framboise.

So outrageously good it is ridiculous. Barely an off-key throughout the whole performance. Incredibly drinkable, great flavor. Not too tart.

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

375 ml bottle received in a trade with davod23. Thanks again man!

It was very difficult to remove the cork from this beer but when I finally pried it loose it let out an explosive pop. Pours a dark, muddy mahogany/ruby color that is so dark it is almost chestnut brown with a two finger frothy pinkish beige head. Excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap that leaves spots of lacing behind. Completely opaque with chunks of yeast floating behind. I left a few ounces in the bottom of the bottle but there are still some pretty large sized yeast chunks in there.

Funky aroma with a very prominent luscious, uber-fresh berry presence. There are also some other dark fruit notes but predominantly raspberry. Nice amount of earthy, tart barnyard funk in the nose with hints of cobweb, horseblanket and bandaid. Also, some earthy oak picked up from the barrel. The aroma of this beer is very similar to a Belgian Lambic, probably the closest I've encountered in an American Wild Ale. The berries are very forward but with some age the nose on this beer could develop into something ridiculous.

Intensely tart, mouth-puckering mouthfeel with lots of earthy and acidic funk balanced out by a sweet dark raspberry fruit flavor. As in the aroma, there is a very strong funky sour tartness with a slight lactic presence and decent amount of earthy oak from the barrel aging. This beer is still young so the raspberries are prominent adding a sweet yet still tart balance and another level of complexity. Soft carbonation throughout as well as a slight syrupy texture adds some thickness/fullness to the body but the bone dry, intensely puckering finish leaves me salivating for another sip. Only slightly acidic and extremely quaffable. Again, this beer is young so the fruit is still prominent but with some age this is going to develop into a monster. Very similar to a Belgian lambic in aroma and flavor. Complex and delicious and one of Lost Abbey's best beers to date. Highly recommended!

4.69/5  rDev +8.1%

IT'S CARBONATED! YAY! YAY!

Pours a very, very, very murky purplish red. Hmmm....this is one muddy-ish looking beer. Maybe a third to a half an inch of foam.

Smell is bursting with raspberry-ness. Wow. That's one great aroma it has going on here. Fantastic raspberries, oak, a hint of vinegar and tannins, and then more raspberries. Nice.

Taste is more sour than sweet, but the two flavor profiles merge very, very well. A pretty remarkable achievement considering the size of the production. Bursting raspberry sweetness overlaid on a base of oak-y, acidic sourness ... they really nailed both spectrums of the raspberry flavor profile, and a touch of vinegar and tannins on the aftertaste. And more oak and raspberry.

Could use a bit more carbonation. For such a strongly flavored sour brew, extremely drinkable. Very nicely done, Lost Abbey.

**had another bottle tonight. If anything, I underrated this on my first review ... maybe due to old ill feelings. Really a splendid beer.

4.69/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 2 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served in a white wine glass from a sixtel at Nodding Head.

A - this is one ugly beer. A murky, cloudy dark reddish-brown, poured with a finger or so of brown-ish head that from the top looked like algae on a pond. Very uninviting.

S - Take a whiff, though, and it significantly brightens the experience. Lots of raspberries, along with the sour, funky brown ale base that Lost Abbey does so many fantastic things with.

T - Wow. When asked how he got so much raspberry flavor into this beer, Tomme deadpanned "I added a lot of raspberries." Intense raspberry flavor throughout every sip, along with moderate sourness, oak, and caramel maltiness. The raspberry overload was neither cloying, nor too sweet, nor too tart. All of the flavors work in harmony, and nothing overpowers despite the intense fruit presence. Amazing.

M - Not too thick, not too thin, this stays on your palate long enough to deliver, but doesn't stick around forever, inviting another sip. The sourness does not overwhelm.

O - this is just about the best fruit beer I've ever had, and certainly the best American-made fruited sour I've tried. Simply a masterpiece.

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle shared by someone at the Willard's sour tasting. Thanks.

A - It pours a rustic ruby-amber hue and is capped with a wispy head.

S - The nose is just straight unadulterated raspberry aroma, with only hints of underlying (sour) beeriness. Raspberry gelato, raspberry jam, and raspberry bushes are all suggested and there is a slight tinny medicinal hiding behind that. As I get deeper into it, I am getting more oak notes, and the vibrance of the fruit seems to subside.

T - The taste is shockingly tart in comparison to the inviting, almost NG Rasberry Tart-esque, fresh fruitiness of the nose. This is a complex little brew here, no doubt. Huge acidic and tart flavors, more acetic than lactic by a longshot, pummel the palate and the wallop is followed up by some nuances of bushy raspberry, tannic oak notes and some pineapple-y/medicinal Brett. Very very tasty.

M - The brew is well-carbonated, and upon every sip it delivers bracingly sour taste that stands in shocking contrast to the notes suggested by the nose.

O - A very very nice beer, one of the best I've had from Lost Abbey. I enoyed it about as much as DDG, head-to-head. When MasterSki shared a bottle of this with me in July of last year, it was not drinking quite as good, certainly.

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

A= Pours a color that reminds me of V8 juice with a nice active head on it that is about two fingers high and holds some decent retention with a suprising amount of lacing. The beer is super hazy.

S= Tons of rasberries as expected. There is a slight vinegar sour not deeper in the nose. Other than the slight vinegar there is a very quite sour smell coming from it that I would expect from juice not a soured beer.

T= The taste is much much more sour than the smell leads you to believe. The flavor is sour and rasberries like you would expect. I almost expect to bite into a seed when I take a sip. There isn't much vinegar sourness to it which I love. The sour and sweet mix very nicely with the sour just taking the edge. I love the burps I'm getting from this beer.

M= Nice levels of carbonation and great weight. Good mix of sweet and dry in the finish.

D= This is the reason I joined the Sinners Club this year and It lived up to everything I wanted it to. The ASGC was amazing and this is just sort of the "cherry" to top it off. I'm happy I bought my max allotment and would buy even more given the oppertunity.

GLASS: Lindemans Flute
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degres, freezer chilled for approx 30 minutes before pouring (lots of 'gusher' horror stories going around about this one)
Thanks to mrbubbler for this one!

This pours a deep, dark, ruby/garnet color. Over two-fingers of medium pink tinted foam sits on top. The retention is great and the lacing, while it is in tiny little spots, is quite sticky.

The raspberries are front and center with this one. They smell absolutely luscious! Hugely juicy, with great notes of sweetness and a good dose of tartness to keep it balanced. Great notes of barnyard funk back them up. Wet hay and a slight mustiness. Mild yeastiness. Lighter notes of oak/woodiness can be found, further down.

The raspberry sweetnes is toned way down, in the taste department. The tartness comes up to the front and mingles with the barnyard notes in an absolutely wonderful fashion. Funky gives way to tart, which gives itself back over to funk, and all plays out over a mild sweetness. The oak notes are much more easily noticed here, as well.
This is wonderfully tart, but not sour, IMO. I love it! Some beers can be way too far into the sour area, to the point that I think they turn away all but the most devout fans of the style. This one gets it right, I think.

This has a light, almost medium, body and a high level of carbonation. This gives it a nice, sharp, crispness, which is very refreshing.

Oh, yeah, it's drinkable alright. I'd love to have a couple of cases of this one every month. Delicious. BTW, the 7.00%abv is nowhere to be found inside of this one.
Seek it out, if you have the means.

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks to beersinner for trading me a couple of these! Poured into a over sized wine glass.

A- pours a deep hazy red color. A billowing three fingers worth of a pinkish head. Good retention and quite a bit of lacing covers my glass.

A- wow just wow! Tons of fresh raspberries. A tartness if very forward and hints of wood come through. The raspberries are simply mind blowing!

T- loads of raspberry goodness jumps right up at ya. A very tart and acidic profile balances out with some sweetness. There are some cherries mixed in with the tartness of the raspberries. This may be where I'm getting the touch of sweetness. There are hints of wood also present.

M- lighter in body. With a high level of carbonation. Finishes dry with a almost sweet tartness.

D- I'm really glad I have another one to crack (I may have to hide it from the wifey though she said it was one of her favorites to date). I would suggest that you seek it out if u haven't tried it yet. I also have heard that they have a tendency to gush. I served mine extremely cold and didn't have an issue.

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just received this from brew from PeprSprYoFace not many days ago. I do loves me a good Lost Abbey sour and thankfully when I opened this it wasn't flat or a gusher. Drank from my The Lost Abbey goblet.

Appearance- Pours a dark reddish copper with a beautiful two finger lightly pink head. A great cap and collar is left the entire beer along with sheets of luscious lacing.
Smell- Full of ripe tart raspberries that just fill my nostrils with their fruity goodness. It's got a nice tart smell to it that makes my mouth water but it seems to be more from the raspberries than the beer. Maybe they're just so potent it takes over. A touch of vanilla and wood peak in but for the most part the raspberries dominate the nose.
Taste- Nice and sour as there is a lactic bite that shreds the taste buds. A bit of vinegar mixes with the fruitiness of the raspberries. The raspberries add a nice tart aspect but they aren't near as potent as the nose led me to believe. The beer is fairly sour but the wood is actually more of the focal point to me. Its nice and oaky with a big vanilla aspect that I really enjoy in sours. If someone was to ask me to guess who made this I'd probably say Upland. The finish has a bit of lingering raspberry and vanilla.
Mouthfeel- Medium body with a nice carbonated bite that is prickly and sharp.
Drinkability- Pretty damned tasty brew that I thoroughly enjoyed. It has a fairly nice balance between the sour, raspberries and wood but I really love the big vanilla aspect that mixes with the fruit. Now to just get them to put it in 750's. Thanks much Corey!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

If you're a fan of wild ales, you will be very impressed with the Framboise. Reminds me of the Consecration but aged with raspberries added instead of currants. Pinkish brown pour, raspberries, yeast funk and brown malt in the nose and raspberries, brett, oak and sour cherry in the taste. Mouthfeel is really close to as good as it gets for the style, but having plenty of Tomme's other Sours I can say it could be a touch smoother. You will want another one, the lingering dryness combined with the tart, sour character of the beer will have you thirsting for seconds.

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured out as a murky looking red color with an off white pinkish foamy head on top. The retention here is a good and so is the lacing on the glass. Very pretty looking beer all around. The smell of the beer gives off plenty of raspberry aromas some nice fresh oak and some subtle funk in there too. The taste is excellent in my opinion. There is an explosion of raspberry with the tartness of the fruit itself mixing with the oak from the barrels and the wild yeast. The sourness of the beer is very tolerable in my opinion and still remains very easy to drink. The after taste brings out some of the malt in the base of the beer as the fruit subsides, there is also some hints of cocoa in there as well in the late finish. The mouthfeel of the beer is good, it's a little thin but had a moderate carbonation to it. Overall it was highly enjoyable, I would order this beer again in a heartbeat. Very glad i got to try this, If I ever have it again I want to have it with a rich chocolate dessert of some kind.

Notes from tasting 10/8/10:

Bottle to a glass. Excited to try this beer!

AP: Lighter red-pink colors to this beer, hazy, very attractive looking. No head, but a small ring.

S: Lots of Brett, a definite Raspberry sweetness/sour tightness. Awesome smell for a Wild Ale.

T: Super tart, Raspberry seed (tastes exactly like this), and also a sweet oaked maturity. Awesome, just an insanely awesome taste which seems hard to beat for a Framboise style beer.

M: Spritzy, light yet somewhat coats the palate as well. Very good.

D: Awesome wild that is a treat to have, and I hope to find this again. Only reason it doesn't get a 5 for me for drinkability is that I'd be hard to put a whole lot of this down in a sitting, but really great in small doses. Highly recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A tulip on draft at monks. Nice small cap of pinkish white head that holds for just a bit then settles to a thin ring. Deep hazy pink purple in color with good bubbles stuck to the glass.

S- Strikingly bold fresh tart raspberries with a wonderful sour fruity punch from the bugs. Light sweetness rounding things out.

T- huge fresh ripe raspberries with a great tartness that rolls expertly into a great woody funky hit. The fruit just owns the show and never let's up. Mild yeasty sweetness keeping things in check.

M- silky medium body with a perfect refreshing carb hitting all the right spots. Great big pucker and all the juices are pumping.

O- this is a spectacular beer. Holds its own against some of the best from Belgium, and the best american copy I've ever had. Just blown away. Love it.

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottle from hophead84. Thanks, Shane.

Murky reddish-purple in the glass with a small white head that settles to little more than a film. Huge tart raspberry aroma backed by very clean lactic sourness. I could accuse this of being one-dimensional, but the fruit character is amazing. Tart raspberries are equally dominant on the palate, with the perfect level of lactic sourness backing it. Finishes with a trace of woody astringency, but very clean on the whole. Simple, straight-forward and beautifully crafted, this is what Lindemans Framboise would taste like if it were dry and sour (and good).

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: Medium purplish-brown. Decent light brown head that has a tinge of purple. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Tart raspberry aroma. some barnyard funk is also in the mix but the raspberry is prominent.

Taste: Sour tart raspberry delivered with a puckering sour. The sourness made my wife cringe. I guess she was expecting a Lindemann level of sourness, which she likes. I prefer my sours sour. Tangy raspberry aftertaste. The Belgian funk in the aroma doesn't really come through in the taste.

Mouth-feel: Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation. Well done.

Drink-ability: Again, I like my sours sour, and with the good taste and good carbonation I like it.

It's a tasty sour tart beer. I had 3 pints of it on tap at the release and I could drink this all day. Well done.

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Shared this with Emmasdad on Thursday night. A bit worried about whether this would be carbonated or not; had a distinct pop when the cork was removed. Poured a dark red with a small white head the quickly dissipated. Aroma of raspberries and malt. Taste was wonderful: very tart raspberries, malt, and a slight vinegar taste with no hop bitterness at all. Excellent brew; wish I had more.

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Framboise de Amarosa, American Wilde Ale 7.0% abv

A: There are deep ruby hues with some nice light carbonation and light red lacing.

S: The smell presents an intense cranberry and acidic dryness with raspberry on the nose. The oak is present in the smell and it is has a juicy wine profile to it.

T: The taste is incredibly drying with incredibly tart raspberry notes. This might be the driest and also the most tart american wild ale that I have ever had. The juiciness was present but largely the dryness wipes out the gumline and presents a huge intimidating bouquet of berries and crispness.

M: Again, there is an intense, huge crisp dryness. The mouthfeel seems like it's an intense merlot with oak to round it out.

D: This is an incredible experience with crazy highs and low to it. This is not a figure of balance, nor does it do anything in moderation. It is impossible not to recommend this exceptional beer to others. Clearly, it is not meant to be enjoyed as a sesssion beer and should be treated accordingly. The taste is so amazing that it is hard to knock it for adhering to a certain style so well. Overall it is incredibly bitter and juicy and I am left wanting more.

Narrative: The train of her ostentatious gown dragged upon the split staircase with wanton disregard for anyone walking near her. After all, there were plenty of tailors within her Parlor and weekly soirees that would readily repair any damage. Somehow Countess Brioche sought more than just the exploitation of the endearing faces of the working classes. She sought their unending love. Notwithstanding, her acerbic parents brought her up to speak her mind truthfully and freely at all times, no matter how scathing. “Oh-oh-oh!” The Duchess of Piedmont fell down two stairs to her knees upon the rich velvet of Countess Briochess’s train. “Your steps lack precision due to the mass pressed upon them.” Mme. Brioche commented and felt a slight pang at her ejaculation. It wasn’t fair to cut others so deeply with such a bitter acerbic purity. Somehow, in this acidic repartee, others saw themselves, and their own shortcomings, despite the caustic burns they received. Countess Brioche looked upon a bustling courtyard of servants who despised her, but respected her stinging candor.

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to Chmanzi for this brew.

A - Reddish tint. Pretty clear. It had a decent head, especially after almost gushing out everywhere. (At least this LA beer has carbonation)
S - Vinegar, raspberries, and funk.
T - Strong raspberry flavor with a bit of the lactic funk.
M - Not that sour, but still pleasingly tart. Not sure how people are calling this very sour. To me, it was pretty balanced for a wild ale. Slightly sweet.
D - Great. Easy to drink and very crisp. I wish I had 2 bottles, because this brew would probably age well.

Framboise De Amorosa from The Lost Abbey