Framboise De Amorosa - The Lost Abbey

Framboise De AmorosaFramboise De Amorosa

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: largadeer on 02-09-2010

Framboise de Amorosa is our first foray into the world of raspberry beers. It begins as Lost and Found ale and is sent into freshly emptied red wine barrels. The beer spends over a year in the wood during which time it is spiked with three additions of raspberries.

The first sip produces a sweet start with a long drawn out sour finish. Some of the sweetness from the raspberries comes out before acidic notes join the mix. On the back end of the beer is a smoothing oak character which keeps the beer from becoming dull.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Framboise De Amorosa Alström Bros
Ratings: 921 | Reviews: 227
1.98/5  rDev -54.4%

What a huge disappointment.

Thanks to jsilva to trade for this sought after brew. Opened at tasting with fellow BA members

First of all - this beer was sitting in my chest freezer, which is set to 35F by digital temp controller. Took the beer out for ten minutes and the slowly popped the cork. INSTANT froth as 95% of beer flew out of the bottle onto my ceiling and floor. What liquid I could salvage was poured into tasting glass. Looked like a murky reddish concoction with bits of pureed fruit. The violent expulsion of the liquid obviously stirred up the yeast sediment. This beer got the lowest score of appearance I have ever given. Shame.

The nose is the only good thing about this beer in its current state. Freshly ripened raspberries in the nose and a clear sour-lactic quality in the nose. Unfortunately, my score goes way down because there is a noticeable yeast smell that is more fatty lipid-like in quality rather than earthy yeast. Seems like every single dormant yeast cell in that bottle was lysed in an instant. Too bad...

Taste is worse than the nose. Yes, there is raspberries, but the intense yeast flavor really muddles things here. The sourness has an astringent and solvent character, and really smacks down the supposedly smooth character of the beer. The resuspended and lysed yeast simply dominate the raspberries in my opinion. Mouthfeel is average.

Drinkability is absolutely horrid for this beer and is real shame. I'm not sure I got a bad bottle, but Lost Abbey really needs to get their act together on their carbonation issues.

I would try this beer again is if wasn't a ticking time bomb. It might even get a better score.

As of right now though, this beer is a huge let down.

2.64/5  rDev -39.2%

Bottle shared by urwithdave. Poured into a CCB snifter. Let me just say, that this was the definition of a gusher. When the cork was lifted out, we were lucky we had a pitcher standing by, or the whole bottle would have ended up in the sink.

A: Dark cherry red in color. The head was minimal, and because of the gushing, there was massive amounts of sediment and even some hop leaves floating around in the glass, this one was ugly.

A: Nice hints of cherries, raspberries, and other berries. Some sour lacto, oak chips, and citrusy hops. This is the best part of the brew.

T: Wow, this one is sour. Because of the sediment, after every sip I was picking yeast, raspberry seeds and hops out of my mouth. I just couldn't get by that sediment.

M: Crisp but chewy. Literally, chewy, I was chewing on raspberry seeds, yeast, and hop leaves for my entire pour.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is Low. Overall, this was a really bad beer experience. I hope to get to try another bottle sometime in the future to see if this one was an exception, but nonetheless, I have to reveiw this beer, and this beer was not good. Skal.

2.75/5  rDev -36.6%

Mediocrity at it's finest.

3.13/5  rDev -27.9%

2011 vintage. Straight up tomato juice.

3.2/5  rDev -26.3%

Served from bottle into a Duvel tulip. Poured a murky dark brown with a very minimal off-white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, dark fruit, maple syrup, oak, and slight mothballs (oxidation?). The flavor was of sweet malt, maple syrup, raspberries, oak, and oxidation (sigh...). It had a medium feel on the palate with very low carbonation (almost flat). Overall I believe this brew was treated badly in its past. There was no visible leaking from the cork to hint that oxidation should be present. So I was quite surprised when I found it to be. So I will say, there wasn't anything awe-inspiring in this one to say the least. Hate that this one was oxidized. Still had a decent flavor I could tell from the background notes in this one, but the oxidation was just overpowering. Aroma was okay on this one. Would love to try one that had been treated nicely in its past.

3.21/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: poured with thin tanned head, opaque brown
S: brett funk, strawberry/berry fruit, some vinegar
T: mild acetic sour upfront, some brett funk that hits your nose in the background, followed by lactic/fruit(raspberry) sour
M: it finishes dry but has lingering sourness
O: OK wild ale. little too much of vinegar (acetic) for my taste.

3.22/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Can't believe I found one of these recently. Consumed during the second monthly "Beermageddon" with many others recently. Poured into a tulip glass from a 375ml bottle.

Pours a beautiful, full reddish-ruby color complete with a decent amount of carbonation and a 1 finger worth of pinkish colored head. Lacing sticks everywhere on this thing, and it glows like any fantastic, world class Lambic against the light. There are floaties lingering within the liquid itself, no doubt aided by the wood, and definitely a cloudy, yeasty color that filters through the liquid at hand. Incredibly rustic, and very well put together, if only a bit sludgy overall. However, the color at hand is winning me over, and I'm giving it a high score in this realm.

The aroma is also quite fabulous, consisting of a blend of bright berry flavors, ranging from raspberries, strawberries, and boysenberries, with maybe a bit of blueberries at the finish. As a fan of all wines containing a grape musty, berry forward flavor, this definitely could pass blindly as a good Zinfandel or Tempranillo blend if it weren't for the undeniable woody tannic, brown malty, and slightly soured flavors underneath. Indeed, the other ingredients impart a bit of a nutty, milk chocolate flavor that makes this smell like a chocolate berry liqueur, only to be phased out by the soured, jammy wild aromas caused by the yeast. A hint of acetone and lactic acid lingers about, but luckily the bright berry and marmalade flavors are victorious. Truly an excellent effort by the Lost Abbey here.

The flavor completely throws back the inner bliss experienced by the aroma, delivering a highly acidic, soured, and strangely unpleasant drinking experience. While it wasn't noticeable in the aroma, what appears to be lacking here is a strong malty backbone that makes beers like, say, Supplication such a success. Strange, because I know I detected brown malts in the aroma. In the flavor, you first get bright slightly musty raspberries and strawberries, only to immediately be pelted with an acidic harshness and dryness that numbs the cheeks and burns the back of the throat. This is the equivalent of drinking a soured berry extract without ANY of the residual sugars to fall back upon. There's no creaminess, no breadiness, and especially no finishing character other than sour woody tannins, fruit tartness, and intense acid from what I'm assuming to be Pediococcus. The mouthfeel is super astringent and harsh, and not pleasing at all to the senses. What happened here? The aroma was amazing - where did this go wrong?

I actually felt embarrassed bringing this to the tasting. We did enjoy it for the fruity, tarty flavors, but the acid and extreme sourness provides intensity with no degree of satisfaction in return. I know this wasn't infected or anything, but I simply feel it was horribly unbalanced. If you want to try this, go ahead, but the Lost Abbey definitely has better sours for the same price and availability in their catalogue.

3.23/5  rDev -25.6%

Got this beer cold as shit before I opened it so it didn't gush out everywhere.

Dark ruby red color, not much head. Highly carbonated though. Big aroma of raspberries and earthy seeds. Mix of lactic sourness and vinegar.

Taste is bracingly sour. Strong raspberry flavor with that seed taste, similar to cherry pit. Just sour, lactic, eggy, and a little too much vinegar. Acetobacter seems to be too strong in this beer. This would be awesome if it was somewhat under control and some brett funk was noticeable.

3.51/5  rDev -19.1%

I was really excited to try this beer. We don't get lost Abbey beers up here, so it's nice to try the ones that make it here to me, especially rarer ones like this.

Hand delivered by a friend from southern California who had plenty of experience with this particular brew, we knew to chill it considerably before opening the bottle. We also set up a pitcher to catch the flying foam that launched out of the bottle once we were able to wrestle the cork out. After the bottle poured itself out in a huge volume of chunky foam, we had to let the pitcher sit for a while as it slowly settled into a pourable liquid.

Once we poured the beer, and I had a chance to get my nose in the glass, it smelled really good.

I took my first sip, and thought, WOW, this is good. Each subsequent sip was worse. The best I can describe my experience is that the first half of each mouthful tasted like rotting salad. Once the decaying green's flavor passed, there was a delicious tart berry flavor, the likes of which I've never really tasted in a beer. This must be the flavor that everyone's focusing on when they review this beer so highly. Unfortunately, the recent memory of dumpster lettuce kept me from fully enjoying the second half of the flavor that lingered in the mouth after each swallow.

As for the mouthfeel... "chunky" is never how I'd describe my ideal beer, but i wasn't turned off by it either.

I really want to think I just had a bad bottle, which doesn't seem unlikely given Lost Abbey's stellar reputation, but the guys I drank it with that had tasted several others in the past didn't mention this one being any different from their other experiences.

Oh well. I didn't pay a dime for it, and despite my disappointment, I still am very grateful for having been able to give it a try and see what all the hype's about. Needless to say though, I wont be seeking out another.

3.52/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Local Habit in San Diego. The color is dark brownish and murky in the glass-- "swamp water," as DefenCorps calls it, which is right on. A splash of a head and quite a tingly mouthfeel, both from the carbonation and what I suspect is taste buds dying. More of a vinegar smell with a touch of fruitiness.

Tart rather than sweet to start, but hugely berry flavored. Some bitterness for the finish. A slight sweetness creeps in along with the vinegar edge. It does taste just like raspberries, which the brewer says were added again during the year-long wine barrel aging. This is actually quite sippable, though unmistakably a serious sour.

3.55/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

2009 bottle poured into Lost Abbey tulip glass.

Appearance: Burgundy with red hue. Pours minimal white head that fades immediately. Slight lacing.

Smell: raspberries, vinegar, acidic, pepper, bellpepper.

Taste: raspberry,vinegar, acidic, tart red fruits.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation, acidic, tart, sour.

Overall: This bottle tastes much more vinegary that previous bottles I've had. The raspberry has faded significantly over the past two years. I don't recommend holding onto this for more than one year.

3.57/5  rDev -17.7%

Bottles shared by ipa247 and largadeer. Thanks guys.

A: Pours a murky garnet body. It's overcarbed (points off) -- the cork nearly took someone's head off. Long-lasting retention with a great cap.

S: Beautiful fresh raspberry aroma with some lactic sourness. Not particularly complex, but it's nice and pungent.

T: Tart raspberries up front, with strong lactic sourness defining the mid-taste. Tannic astringency in the finish. There might be some lemon in there, but the raspberries overwhelmingly dominate the taste. While the raspberry character is f'in delicious, I have to admit the flavor is one-dimensional. No funk, no acetic presence, no balancing tannins... Just raspberry extract and lactic acid.

M: Light-bodied; medium-high carbonation. The finish is unpleasantly tart / drying, which is mostly a standard complaint I have with fruit wild ales. What's unique about this one is some massive chunky sediment like pureed raspberries went in here. The raspberry is very tart and it gets kind of syrupy even in small pours.

D: Quite tasty, though not nearly as complex as some really outstanding wild ales. Way overpriced.

3.58/5  rDev -17.5%

Sampled September 2010
Well this was one of my freely sent, unsolicited, replacement bottles based on a previously explosive, encountered experience with a couple bottles of this brew. I have high hopes for this one. A overly careful, even paranoid extraction of the cork and cage yields no surprises and almost three-fingers of lightly burgundy tinged, tan colored head. The beer is a dark, concentrated red color that shows a hazed, bright red color and a ton of streaming bubbles from the carbonation when held up to the light. The aroma is hugely dominated by raspberry aromatics, deeply fruity, almost extract like in its intensity, but definitely real raspberries; seeds, skin and pulp all mixed together, but all raspberry, all the time.

Very frothy and foamy as it rolls across the tongue; it is a bit overly carbonated, but some vigorous swirling gets rid of this. This is on the dry side, especially given how sweet and fruity the nose smells. The finish has a definite spiciness to it, which seems to be contributed by some acetic acidity as well as from the raspberries themselves. A substantial oak character also contributes to the spiciness in the finish, but also contributes a teeth sticking tannic character, and some woody fresh cut plank character; this last is quite noticeable at times. The dominant acid flavors here are the raspberry acidity and a touch of acetic acidity, but I am willing to bet that the lactic acid makes up the largest percentage of the acid here. The raspberries as they have fermented have contributed a note that is a little like a light, fruity, though over-oaked, red wine. The base beer is fairly subtle here, the acidity is the most noticeable part and there might be a hint of toasty malt character buried in here somewhere, but really the oak and the raspberry flavors are the most dominant notes.

This is definitely a much better, even less lively experience than my previous encounters with this beer. The aroma is cleaner than it was previously, but now seems a bit simplistic in its raspberry focus. Even the flavor is bit simplistic, though not nearly as much as the aroma; the flavor has a bit too much oak to it, which messes with the palate and the aroma just a bit too much.

Sampled June 2010
1/3.5/3/1/2
Warning, this is a rating based on two bottles, both the same. Hopefully one day I'll get to try something better controlled during the brewing process; $30 bucks down the drain, let you be warned.

Well, what a completely fucking joke. I was ready for it, but in an instant foam geysers out of the bottle leaving me less than a 1/3rd of the bottle, and I end up with maybe 3 oz of beer in my glass. The rest ended up all over my hanging cabinet and on the counter. The head is a dirty mix of brown and pink hues with lots of lacing and a chunky, yeast laden structure. Murkier and nastier than shit colored b/c of the excessive carbonation that kicked up the sediment. The aroma smells of raspberries, lactic acid, a hint of acetic acid, perhaps an earthy yeast note.

Acidic, a mix of lactic and acetic as well as a really tannic, astringent texture that is a mix of yeast chunks and oak. Really dirty and murky flavored. Some toasted malt character supports the sourness and the faint, dried out, yet still seed-like raspberry character. Really yeasty and murky tasting due to the sediment, it even is chunky with specs of sediment marring the texture. Despite being quite dry, the raspberry character comes through pretty well; the lack of sweetness definitely keeps the raspberry flavor from being overwhelming; this was likely bottled with a noticeable sweetness (at least given the explosive, excessive carbonation).

What a monumental disappointment; in the end the aroma, appearance, texture, and flavor were all majorly negatively impacted by the horrible bottle conditioning. I am definitely peeved that I lost 80% of this $15 dollar beer. I think I would have actually enjoyed this if it had been properly bottle-conditioned. How this ended up this way I don't even want to know, but I really, really hope I get to try a decent sample of this some day.

3.59/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance – The cork really popped on this one. Pours a dirty raspberry color with a thick frothy dirty white head and huge lacing. Lots of sediment.

Smell – Sour raspberries, red wine, oak, and a hint of raspberry sweetness.

Taste – Sour raspberries dominate the taste. I didn’t notice the sweetness that I detected from the nose. Very dry.

Mouthfeel – Tart, nicely carbonated, with a lingering sour aftertaste.

Drinkability – I think it is a bit too tart to be super drinkable.

3.66/5  rDev -15.7%

Thanks to Sean9689 for the opportunity.

Murky body with lots of sediment and 'floaties'. Aggressive head that slowly dissipates. Mine wasn't quite a gusher, but it was close.

Incredible tart raspberry smell explodes out of the glass. Addictive aroma.

Hugely tart raspberry taste upfront. As it warms there is a bit of sweetness mixed in. The sweetness muddles things up a bit.

This is a good beer at best IMHO. I could sit and smell it for hours but I had a hard time getting thru the bottle in terms of the taste. I don't seem to have that problem with sours from that other California brewery...

3.7/5  rDev -14.7%

FdA 2011
Poured from a 375ml bottle into a oversized wine glass.

A: opens with a pop but no gushing.  Pours a dark tea colored hue with hints of red when held up to the light.  1 finger of latte colored head with moderate retention and beautiful lacing.

S: beautiful fruity scent with raspberry standing out.

T: very tart with no real recognizable raspberry taste.  Funky notes.  No sweetness to speak of. Some vinegar on the end.

M: well carbonated. Sparkling on the tongue. Greatly intensifying the tartness.

O: a decent brew but not my favorite frambois. Could have been a touch sweeter and would have been good to great.

3.73/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours cloudy dark red with a pink 2 finger head. Decent retention and lacing.

Aroma is heavily laden with funky raspberry. A little bit of sourness with some oak.

A little acidic up front in the taste. Tons of raspberry similar to the aroma. A little bit of the musty funk as well, but raspberry dominates the other flavors. Nice although I'd prefer a bit more complexity.

Soft carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. Probably the best aspect of the beer. Brings everything together well.

Solid beer although falls a bit shy of hype for me. Still worth a shot if you can get it, but not worth trading any rarities for.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

A: Muddled hazy brown with red hues. Pinkish brown head that is quite big. I had read this was a gusher so I chilled it pretty cold before popping to try and control it. It worked. I had a small sample and then let a good portion warm up.

S: Wonderful raspberries with some earthy funk tones below. At this point pretty fruit forward.

T: Really nice raspberry flavor up front. Once again fruit forward. Beneath the fruit is the mustiness but is quite muted at this point in this beers life. More fruit than sour.

M: Highly carbed though I found it to have a medium to light boddy. Prickly from carbonation.

D: I enjoyed this beer and wish I had a 750 instead. Would seek out but wouldn't trade my cellar for it.

3.79/5  rDev -12.7%

Shared by Chris and reviewed from notes. Poured into a lost abbey tumbler, murky red liquid with a dirty off white head, decent retention. Smell is strong sour raspberries, lemon and lime soda, sugary with a slight bit of maltiness. Taste is pretty intense - big sour raspberry flavor up front, sour lemons, a bit of that trademark Lost Abbey funk, some blueberries, slightly sweet finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a medium carbonation, very acidic, makes it feel like it is coating. Not a bad beer, but the over the top sourness without any kind of balancing could definitley be improved with a bit of oak or more wild yeast flavors and aromas.

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Reviewed on 05/01/2010. 375 ml bottle (no gushing). Pours a cloudy reddish brown with a thick tan head. Aroma of raspberry, sour malt, light funk. Flavor of tart raspberries with a sour malt, bready finish. Sour and acidic mouthfeel. Pretty tasty overall.

3.81/5  rDev -12.2%

Opened this on Wednesday night, a great breakup to the week. The cork was a bit hard to open, and when it did get popped it was like Old Faithful. I would say about one third of the bottle was foaming out of the top, it was a mess. The smell that filled the room was amazing and intoxicating.

The appearance of this one was like a smoothie, it was a dark ruby red with the stickiest pink head. The head just sticks to the side of the glass, real foamy. It has an incredible amount of sediment, hop leaves, raspberry, seeds, and maybe even just yeast.

Once the cork was popped the smell that was released was heavenly. Raspberry just fills the room, such a sweet fresh smell that gave me hope for the taste.

I feel like the taste would of been best at the bottle release. The raspberry taste is great, and it is paired very well with the tart and sour aspects of this beer. Its just a bit muddled, with the sourness a bit mellow. The mouthfeel leaves something left to be desired. It effects the flavors because it has a lot of floaties and 'distractions' The sourness is good, but the gravity is so thick that 'syrup' is the first thing that comes to mind.

I could drink a full bottle to myself, but now that I have had a try of this I would not specifically seek this again. It is a good beer, just not a GREAT Lost Abbey beer. I expect more from this brewery that I have expectations to do great things.

J

:Bottle poured into Lost Abbey Tulip

Bottle popped with a lot of force, almost a gusher... saved with a quick pour

A: pours a light red? Almost pink. Very little head, suprising for the huge cork pop, the pour looks very good though

S: can definatly smell the raspberries, little bit of a woody smell to it, once again smells slightly like vinegar

T: tastes like raspberries and vinegar, should go on a salad? Reminds me of raspberry vinegarette

M: light mouthfeel, good amount of carbonation present

O: a decent offering from Lost abbey, glad to have tried it

500th review!!

I had read warnings about this beer being a gusher, however mine didn't foam at all. It pours a very murky red/brown color with two fingers of head that camps out for a while.

The aroma is very fruity. Those raspberries come through in full force. Notes of cobweb and floral hoppiness underneath. But mostly just that juicy raspberry.

The flavor is a burst of fruit and dustiness. Tart, but not what I would call mouth puckering sour. The dusty funk is quite overwhelming really....kind of pushes the fruit to the background. Not hugely complex either. But wow, tons of flavor.

The body is medium and the carbonation is unfortunately far too high. Prickly, dry, and mouth engulfing gas....not really an appealing combination.

Overall, this beer has the makings of something special but doesn't reach its potential. The mouthfeel really drags it down and hurts the taste as well. I wish that sour raspberry flavor lingered on my tongue a little longer rather than being instantly swept away in a cloud of gas.

Eventually, I decided to agitate the beer aggressively to help dispel some of the carbonation. I noticed an improvement in the flavor profile, however I still felt that the mustiness overwhelmed the sourness and fruit a bit too much.

3.83/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into a pint glass (insert sad face) at Lost Abbey last weekend, with the guy at the bar almost overflowing the glass with an over-carbonated head. Surely not a Flat Abbey.

Appearance- The Framboise was light pink in color with a creamy pinkish hued head. I really liked how this beer screamed raspberries by just looking at it's great pink structure in the glass.

Smell- Obviously a huge aroma of freshly crushed raspberries with a little bit of a barnyard funk behind the fruit smell. It was really Raspberries, Raspberries, Raspberries. I was very invigorated by the aroma of this and was excited to dive into it.

Taste- Obviously massive raspberries, but in all honesty it was overtly sour. A mindbogglingly sour pucker taste as it hit the palate and was only really followed up by a slight funkyness, and a bit of a oak background from the barrels that it was in. I think that I built this beer up in my head too much and was let down by it on taste wise. I do however think that some time in the bottle will help it balance out, and it could turn into an all around beautiful beer.

Mouthfeel- It was super carbonated, almost a gusher like the Red Poppy I had. It was a light brew, but I had a hard time getting through the entire 12.7 ounces because of the sourness. My bottle seemed to have champagne carbonation that rose in the glass throughout the entire session.

Overall- I loved the aroma of Framboise, but it lacked in taste for me. I do think that it will benefit from aging in the bottle, and will mellow out to become a great beer. I love sours, they are my favorite style, but this one was too sour with not enough balance for me.

3.84/5  rDev -11.5%

Drank from a 12.7 ounces bottle
Vintage 2010
Served in a tulip
Acquired in a trade with Gonzoillini

This beer was an absolute gusher. After reading numerous reviews talking about carbonation issues with Framboise De Amorosa, I opened this extremely carefully. Even with a slow cork pull, the beer began spewing from the bottle. I think I lost about half of it on my counter. When the remainder of the beer settled in my glass, it was a turbid, murky, copper-ish brown color. Large yeast particles were seen all throughout the liquid. The beer was topped by a short-lived, brown specked cap of bubbly white froth. As the beer was consumed, the head deposited a wide ring of pink granules on the glass. Wow, what a terrible start.

The aroma was quite complex. Lots of tart fruits. Raspberries and sour cherries were most noticeable. Crisp and moderately funky. Brett notes appeared as well. Oaky with a mild, sweet malt backdrop.

The flavor profile was tart and acidic. Sour fruit flavors came through strong. Somewhat citric. Lemon notes were apparent. Slightly musty and funky. The raspberry flavor was all but undetectable until the finish. Highly acidic vinegar notes trailed in the aftertaste.

The beer was medium bodied with a crisp yet moderate effervescence. Smooth and a touch creamy.

Framboise De Amorosa is a terrific beer. My only gripe was that carbonation issues really got in the way of its appearance (as well as how much of the beer I actually had a chance to enjoy). Tomme, when are these problems going to be solved?

Framboise De Amorosa from The Lost Abbey