Framboise De Amorosa - The Lost Abbey

Framboise De AmorosaFramboise De Amorosa

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Wild Ale |  9.00% ABV

Blended Aged Brown Ale with wild yeasts and Fresh Raspberries.

(Beer added by: largadeer on 02-09-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Framboise De Amorosa Alström Bros
rpstevens

New Hampshire

11-15-2011 22:37:19 | More by rpstevens
Raziel313

1.75/5  rDev -59.5%

06-10-2014 06:06:30 | More by Raziel313
phattysbox

1.95/5  rDev -54.9%

What a huge disappointment.

Thanks to jsilva to trade for this sought after brew. Opened at tasting with fellow BA members

First of all - this beer was sitting in my chest freezer, which is set to 35F by digital temp controller. Took the beer out for ten minutes and the slowly popped the cork. INSTANT froth as 95% of beer flew out of the bottle onto my ceiling and floor. What liquid I could salvage was poured into tasting glass. Looked like a murky reddish concoction with bits of pureed fruit. The violent expulsion of the liquid obviously stirred up the yeast sediment. This beer got the lowest score of appearance I have ever given. Shame.

The nose is the only good thing about this beer in its current state. Freshly ripened raspberries in the nose and a clear sour-lactic quality in the nose. Unfortunately, my score goes way down because there is a noticeable yeast smell that is more fatty lipid-like in quality rather than earthy yeast. Seems like every single dormant yeast cell in that bottle was lysed in an instant. Too bad...

Taste is worse than the nose. Yes, there is raspberries, but the intense yeast flavor really muddles things here. The sourness has an astringent and solvent character, and really smacks down the supposedly smooth character of the beer. The resuspended and lysed yeast simply dominate the raspberries in my opinion. Mouthfeel is average.

Drinkability is absolutely horrid for this beer and is real shame. I'm not sure I got a bad bottle, but Lost Abbey really needs to get their act together on their carbonation issues.

I would try this beer again is if wasn't a ticking time bomb. It might even get a better score.

As of right now though, this beer is a huge let down.

06-28-2010 15:22:49 | More by phattysbox
Gtreid

2.58/5  rDev -40.3%

Bottle shared by urwithdave. Poured into a CCB snifter. Let me just say, that this was the definition of a gusher. When the cork was lifted out, we were lucky we had a pitcher standing by, or the whole bottle would have ended up in the sink.

A: Dark cherry red in color. The head was minimal, and because of the gushing, there was massive amounts of sediment and even some hop leaves floating around in the glass, this one was ugly.

A: Nice hints of cherries, raspberries, and other berries. Some sour lacto, oak chips, and citrusy hops. This is the best part of the brew.

T: Wow, this one is sour. Because of the sediment, after every sip I was picking yeast, raspberry seeds and hops out of my mouth. I just couldn't get by that sediment.

M: Crisp but chewy. Literally, chewy, I was chewing on raspberry seeds, yeast, and hop leaves for my entire pour.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is Low. Overall, this was a really bad beer experience. I hope to get to try another bottle sometime in the future to see if this one was an exception, but nonetheless, I have to reveiw this beer, and this beer was not good. Skal.

07-13-2010 14:29:32 | More by Gtreid
2beerdogs

05-07-2012 02:57:26 | More by 2beerdogs
magictacosinus

3.14/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Can't believe I found one of these recently. Consumed during the second monthly "Beermageddon" with many others recently. Poured into a tulip glass from a 375ml bottle.

Pours a beautiful, full reddish-ruby color complete with a decent amount of carbonation and a 1 finger worth of pinkish colored head. Lacing sticks everywhere on this thing, and it glows like any fantastic, world class Lambic against the light. There are floaties lingering within the liquid itself, no doubt aided by the wood, and definitely a cloudy, yeasty color that filters through the liquid at hand. Incredibly rustic, and very well put together, if only a bit sludgy overall. However, the color at hand is winning me over, and I'm giving it a high score in this realm.

The aroma is also quite fabulous, consisting of a blend of bright berry flavors, ranging from raspberries, strawberries, and boysenberries, with maybe a bit of blueberries at the finish. As a fan of all wines containing a grape musty, berry forward flavor, this definitely could pass blindly as a good Zinfandel or Tempranillo blend if it weren't for the undeniable woody tannic, brown malty, and slightly soured flavors underneath. Indeed, the other ingredients impart a bit of a nutty, milk chocolate flavor that makes this smell like a chocolate berry liqueur, only to be phased out by the soured, jammy wild aromas caused by the yeast. A hint of acetone and lactic acid lingers about, but luckily the bright berry and marmalade flavors are victorious. Truly an excellent effort by the Lost Abbey here.

The flavor completely throws back the inner bliss experienced by the aroma, delivering a highly acidic, soured, and strangely unpleasant drinking experience. While it wasn't noticeable in the aroma, what appears to be lacking here is a strong malty backbone that makes beers like, say, Supplication such a success. Strange, because I know I detected brown malts in the aroma. In the flavor, you first get bright slightly musty raspberries and strawberries, only to immediately be pelted with an acidic harshness and dryness that numbs the cheeks and burns the back of the throat. This is the equivalent of drinking a soured berry extract without ANY of the residual sugars to fall back upon. There's no creaminess, no breadiness, and especially no finishing character other than sour woody tannins, fruit tartness, and intense acid from what I'm assuming to be Pediococcus. The mouthfeel is super astringent and harsh, and not pleasing at all to the senses. What happened here? The aroma was amazing - where did this go wrong?

I actually felt embarrassed bringing this to the tasting. We did enjoy it for the fruity, tarty flavors, but the acid and extreme sourness provides intensity with no degree of satisfaction in return. I know this wasn't infected or anything, but I simply feel it was horribly unbalanced. If you want to try this, go ahead, but the Lost Abbey definitely has better sours for the same price and availability in their catalogue.

06-18-2013 02:20:00 | More by magictacosinus
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.18/5  rDev -26.4%

Served from bottle into a Duvel tulip. Poured a murky dark brown with a very minimal off-white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, dark fruit, maple syrup, oak, and slight mothballs (oxidation?). The flavor was of sweet malt, maple syrup, raspberries, oak, and oxidation (sigh...). It had a medium feel on the palate with very low carbonation (almost flat). Overall I believe this brew was treated badly in its past. There was no visible leaking from the cork to hint that oxidation should be present. So I was quite surprised when I found it to be. So I will say, there wasn't anything awe-inspiring in this one to say the least. Hate that this one was oxidized. Still had a decent flavor I could tell from the background notes in this one, but the oxidation was just overpowering. Aroma was okay on this one. Would love to try one that had been treated nicely in its past.

02-14-2011 12:52:05 | More by thagr81us
BearsOnAcid

3.2/5  rDev -25.9%

Got this beer cold as shit before I opened it so it didn't gush out everywhere.

Dark ruby red color, not much head. Highly carbonated though. Big aroma of raspberries and earthy seeds. Mix of lactic sourness and vinegar.

Taste is bracingly sour. Strong raspberry flavor with that seed taste, similar to cherry pit. Just sour, lactic, eggy, and a little too much vinegar. Acetobacter seems to be too strong in this beer. This would be awesome if it was somewhat under control and some brett funk was noticeable.

08-12-2010 15:23:17 | More by BearsOnAcid
Takahiro

Netherlands

3.21/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: poured with thin tanned head, opaque brown
S: brett funk, strawberry/berry fruit, some vinegar
T: mild acetic sour upfront, some brett funk that hits your nose in the background, followed by lactic/fruit(raspberry) sour
M: it finishes dry but has lingering sourness
O: OK wild ale. little too much of vinegar (acetic) for my taste.

08-02-2013 03:13:36 | More by Takahiro

01-19-2014 19:42:34 | More by LoveStout
portlandjeff

Oregon

3.45/5  rDev -20.1%

I was really excited to try this beer. We don't get lost Abbey beers up here, so it's nice to try the ones that make it here to me, especially rarer ones like this.

Hand delivered by a friend from southern California who had plenty of experience with this particular brew, we knew to chill it considerably before opening the bottle. We also set up a pitcher to catch the flying foam that launched out of the bottle once we were able to wrestle the cork out. After the bottle poured itself out in a huge volume of chunky foam, we had to let the pitcher sit for a while as it slowly settled into a pourable liquid.

Once we poured the beer, and I had a chance to get my nose in the glass, it smelled really good.

I took my first sip, and thought, WOW, this is good. Each subsequent sip was worse. The best I can describe my experience is that the first half of each mouthful tasted like rotting salad. Once the decaying green's flavor passed, there was a delicious tart berry flavor, the likes of which I've never really tasted in a beer. This must be the flavor that everyone's focusing on when they review this beer so highly. Unfortunately, the recent memory of dumpster lettuce kept me from fully enjoying the second half of the flavor that lingered in the mouth after each swallow.

As for the mouthfeel... "chunky" is never how I'd describe my ideal beer, but i wasn't turned off by it either.

I really want to think I just had a bad bottle, which doesn't seem unlikely given Lost Abbey's stellar reputation, but the guys I drank it with that had tasted several others in the past didn't mention this one being any different from their other experiences.

Oh well. I didn't pay a dime for it, and despite my disappointment, I still am very grateful for having been able to give it a try and see what all the hype's about. Needless to say though, I wont be seeking out another.

07-10-2010 19:27:11 | More by portlandjeff

Wisconsin

06-23-2013 03:04:47 | More by jjheinrichs
phichifiji00

3.55/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

2009 bottle poured into Lost Abbey tulip glass.

Appearance: Burgundy with red hue. Pours minimal white head that fades immediately. Slight lacing.

Smell: raspberries, vinegar, acidic, pepper, bellpepper.

Taste: raspberry,vinegar, acidic, tart red fruits.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation, acidic, tart, sour.

Overall: This bottle tastes much more vinegary that previous bottles I've had. The raspberry has faded significantly over the past two years. I don't recommend holding onto this for more than one year.

10-31-2011 04:22:51 | More by phichifiji00