The Angel's Share Grand Cru - The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share Grand CruThe Angel's Share Grand Cru

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  16.00% ABV

A blend of both bourbon and brandy barrel aged Angel's Share aged in oak barrels from 1-5 years

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 02-15-2010)
ShadesOfGray

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Had during Philly Beer week. Big thanks to Tomme himself for sharing! Poured from a 375ml bottle into a tasting snifter. Pours a dark brown out of the bottle, settling mostly black looking in the glass. Decent size head after pour, tanish in color...but settles very quickly and dissapears completely. No real lacing to speak of, maybe just a couple fizzy bubbles sliding quickly down the sides of the glass. Almost looks completely flat once the head settles.

Aroma smells great, but somewhat distant. Lot's of booze, including the bourbon and brandy notes. Caramel, vanilla, chocolate, and dark over-ripe fruits.

Wow, the bourbon and brandy Angel Shares are delicious, but this one takes the cake. If you've had either one, imagine it being more carbonated and super smooth! An incredibly easy drinker for such high booze flavor. The bourbon and brandy mix awesome! Very sharp, crisp flavors...including caramel, dark fruits...raisins, mollasses, wood, and toasted malts. The booze warmth is impressive! Overall though, I still can't believe how incredibly smooth this beer is compared to it's counter-parts. Very complex, and once again...delicious! Thanks again Tomme...what a fantastic beer!

06-09-2010 02:48:22 | More by ShadesOfGray
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Poured dark brown with good carbonation and a dirty white head

S: Sweet. Vanilla, oak, dark fruits, brown sugar, bourbon

T: Followed the nose pretty well but wow was this good. I noticed oak, bourbon, vanilla to be more prominent but chocolate, dark fruits and everything comes out. Hints of earth, tobacco too

M: Medium to heavy, rich, smooth, lighter carbonation.

D - Excellent and a must try

05-31-2010 14:59:26 | More by barleywinefiend
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

300 ml of a bold blend. Black with little head. Mostly bourbon in the aroma and taste. Full mouthfeel. Very drinkable, but it is to be sipped and not gulped. Grape is a distant flavour.Enjoyed as a barleywine, complex, and would like to have again further along aged.
Big thanks to JMBSH.

05-30-2010 02:47:07 | More by Sammy
gford217

Georgia

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Huge thanks to Jon for this bottle.

Pours a dark, dark mahogany brown that sits almost black in the glass with a big bubbly tan head that recedes slowly to a thin cap and leaves no lacing, just some boozy legs.

Massive aroma on this one - booze soaked dark fruits, caramel malts, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate. Maybe some toffee and tobacco. So many smells coming together perfectly.

Taste is more of the same - big-time dessert sipper. There is an initial bourbon blast with toffee and caramel malts underneath. There are some sugar-coated raisins and plums followed by a sweet vanilla finish with some oak and a ton of alcohol burn going down.

The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied but a tad slick from the barrel character. The alcohol in the finish is huge and leaves the throat burning for quite a while.

This is one helluva a big beer. Super complex with an alcohol presence that gives me no choice but to sip and soak it in over a long period of time. Decadent.

05-17-2010 02:31:20 | More by gford217
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.58/5  rDev +5%

A huge thanks to Dana for sending me this bottle. I really did not think I would ever get ahold of it to be honest. Served chilled and poured into a snifter, this one was consumed on 05/14/2010.

The pour is huge, dark caramel color with a huge billowing head of light tan that reaches three fingers high before it settles down and back to earth. Still coating the sides of the glass with loads of sticky lace, the look alone was enough to scare the crap out of you.

Aroma was to die for, literally to die for as the richness of the toffee and butterscotch notes was overpowering. Huge,, sweet, decadent and dessert like aroma. The things dreams are made of. As it warms rich carame and huge notes of bourbon like oak notes come through clearly. This is a very complex and very intresting beer. Each sip seems to be bigger and more complex then the one before. Butterscotch and toffee roll across your tongue, rich, smooth feel, light carbonation but the sweetness is unparralled here. It was like taking angels share and spiking it. A touch of hotness as it works its way though, but overall it was remarkably smooth and easy to sip on, but it did me in for the night that was for damn sure,

Overall I am soo thrilled to be able to have tried this one. I had tried for a while and it was worth the wait for sure.

05-16-2010 04:53:26 | More by mikesgroove
pmccallum86

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to the mothman for grabbing this gem for us.

Pours a deep dark mahogany color with a dark hardly transparent body. Small body with a smell half finger head.

Smell is of huge rich malts, light grapes, oak, and booziness. Probably the brandy and bourbon barrel aging.

Taste is MASSIVE. So many flavors going here it is insane. Lots of big oak and barrel aged flavors with some sour grapes and roasted malts. Taste is just so complex it's insane, a little hot, with the bourbon and brandy barrel flavors, but very good.

Mouthfeel is full rich and thick. Medium carbonation, big flavors.

Good drinkablility, the booziness is a little high, but it makes for a great sipper. Great beer I am glad I got to try it.

05-13-2010 07:03:43 | More by pmccallum86
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Thanks to Plinytheyoungest for sending this up.

Cork pops off very lightly.

Poured into Lost Abbey snifter.

Pours a small layer of tan head; very expected. Color is a dark brown with a caramel hue to it.

Aroma: This beer seems to have it all. From bourbon notes to brandy notes to the massive amount of grapes added that show nicely. Big oak flavors with some molasses sweetness. Big bourbon and brandy notes that show through the entirety of this beer. I seem to get some spices as well. A hint of cinnamon shoes. Huge aroma.

Taste: This definitely is a big beer. A lot of alcohol from the bourbon and brandy barrels show here. This beer is fairly hot. Very big and boozy. Lots of oak. The grapes add another layer that I really enjoy here. But wow, this beer is massive. It has a ton of malts. Some chocolate, molasses, sweet cherry, and plum flavors. Wow, this beer has a lot going on.

Mouthfeel: Dry, bold, and warming. This is a full bodied with a decent amount of carbonation, showing nicely. It is hot with lots of barrel aging notes showing. I really don't mind it for the style, however. Ends with some nice brandy notes and oak flavors.

Overall, this beer is very solid. Full flavored and complex. It has a lot going on with it. It is drinking slowly, but that is because I don't want it to end. I am really glad I got to try this one. It is expensive, but worth it to try it. This beer has a lot going on with it.

05-13-2010 06:56:41 | More by mothman
m1ked

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Much thanks to a good friend d0ggnate for GIVING me this bottle... Having it paired with a Carmel apple napolean with a Carmel bourbon sauce on my 7th anni. Thanks dude.

A- pours a dark mahogany brown with cola colored edges. Thin wispy carbonation and a tiny halo of bubbles around the edges.

S- Brown sugary, caramel, old wood, raisins, dates, figs. Smells delicious. Deep & rich.

T- once again deep & rich brown sugar, mollasses, toffee, caramel, raisins, dates.

M- while it is low on carbonation it has just enough in there to give it a little life on your tongue. Otherwise this has a fair amount of weight on the tongue with some residual viscosity.

D- I am so pleased I was provided the opportunity at this once in
my lifetime beer. It is so delicious and memorable, equally glad I was able to have it on this memorable occasion.... Thanks Nate.

05-11-2010 00:47:19 | More by m1ked
kaseydad

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Snifter pour and I am met with a dark caramel/brown colored ale with a beige head with staying power and nice lacing. The aroma has an abundance of brown sugar, some green apple and brandy burns the nose as you inhale deeply. Smooth as silk taste with the brandy shining through and some syrup is also present in the taste. Full bodied mouthfeel with a nice creaminess. Drinkability is good but the booze will creep up on you if you aren't careful. Overall I was honored to experience this amazing brew. I look forward to our next meeting and encourage all to experience this liquid gold.

05-02-2010 03:16:39 | More by kaseydad
Reagan1984

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Big thanks to Masterski for providing this in trade.

While you pour there is a small golden head, but it vanishes immediately. Dark brown color with no light getting through. No lacing at all.

Aroma is of Vanilla, raisins, alcohol. Quite deep and long after the pour remains quite potent.

The initial flavors are evident in the aroma. Lots of vanilla, raisins, brown sugar. Pretty complex. Plenty of wood character.
Winelike aftertaste. There is certainly a lot of bourbon character as well. The wood notes provide a depth and complexity that is wonderful. I think I liken the flavor a little to the crisp topping of crème brulee. Certainly the abv is evident but not overpowering at all.

This drinks like an after dinner drink and the body is fairly bold. Just the tiniest pin prick of carbonation.

Really enjoyed the opportunity to have this beer. Would love to grab another somehow. This is a great beer to explore for more than an hour.

Well done.

04-30-2010 10:41:36 | More by Reagan1984
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Footbalm brought this up for the recent tasting... Huge thanks Eric!! Awesome beer.... really amazing.

Off white head has great retention and lace... deep dark brown brew.. fairly clear...

notes show first, "I could sit and smell this for hours" ... amazingly complex.. dark toast.. caramel.. good barrel presence.. golden raisins.. fruity elements are melted by rich malts...

flavor has some nice vanilla notes that mesh well with the above aromas.. lite cocoa.. something that I associate with figs... cigar wrapper ... fruity and bunches of misc. maltiness... not really "sweet" yet very malty.. nice medium/full body with a tad lighter than appreciated carbonation, but no "dead flat" jokes are needed. This beer is a winner that I would "maybe" kill to have available locally.

Ditmier commented very lovingly (he loves his recent AS bottles) that this isn't as "harsh" as the '09 Brandy AS.. but that is a great compliment.. lush... velvety.. one of the most complex beers out there.... In a perfect world, I want a Magnum!! Not so I can share it, but so I can enjoy it over about 8 hours.

4.5/5/4.5/4/5

Footbalm is the man! Like a beer gangster that just rolls in, corks his outlandish whales.. tells us to enjoy them... and then disappears. Really, though... Eric is a great cat and somebody that I appreciate his friendship.

04-30-2010 08:49:11 | More by JohnGalt1
jampics2

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

375 ml bottle, shared post Dark Lord day by Melissa and Travis. Much thanks to you, friends!! This has been one I wanted to try for a long time, and it was sublime.

A: Dark brown with plum highlights and a decent white head.

S: Brown sugar, wood, red wine soaked raisins, brandy and caramelized malt.

T: So much going on. This is perhaps the best BW I've had. Sweet brown sugar, plums, figs, caramel, wood, bourbon and brandy, vanilla, toffee. This has so much depth, a great blend of flavors. Not as much wine barrel as I would have hoped. But that still leaves the most complex malty beer I've ever had.

M: Great visco, full body, just a kiss of carbonation.

D: Not the most drinkable beer due to the depth. I had to sip my 3oz slowly just to savor, but I don't know if I would want to take on a full bottle myself. A GREAT beer, thanks Travis!!

04-25-2010 22:13:50 | More by jampics2
nectar14

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

From a 375 mL, shared with my good friend, Chad.

A: Pours a tawny port-like brown, with a black center. Amber edges, thin film of tan head that lingers only a bit around the edges. Fairly clear, though, until you get down to the bottom of the bottle.

S: Fantastic nose of nutty oak, whiffs of whisky/brandy/liquer and caramel. There's a Brazil nut note, along with a bit of good tobacco smoke.

T: Up front coffee and caramel, with back up from smoky oak barrels. Lifted just a bit by dark fruit and the carbonation.

M: Again, very port/liquer like. Reasonably viscous, but not sticky or syrupy. Makes you want to grab a cigar, or maybe some Stilton cheese.

D: If you have a couple hours to sit still, this is exactly the level of drinkability you want. Smooth but boozy. Finely built, and a real treat.

04-25-2010 03:59:17 | More by nectar14
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to ahalloin for sharing this gem.

A: Dark brown with decent sized head and lacing.

S: Roasted malt, bourbon, brandy, alcohol, raisins and/or dark fruits. There's a whole lot going on here. Amazingly complex. If there wasn't such a prominent alcohol aroma, it would have achieved the highest score.

T: Bourbon and brandy are each distinguishable and separate - very well done. Again, this beer is insanely complex but it's also pretty hot. Also, dark fruits and a big, malty sweetness. I really think this one could benefit from a few years in the cellar.

M: Good carbonation level, warm alcohol finish.

D: A tasty brew. Good for splitting a few ways.

04-23-2010 16:23:33 | More by Huhzubendah
callmemickey

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Deep red-brown body. Moderate sized tan head which forms a nice skim after subsiding. Spotty lacing.

S: A nice blend of bold, assertive, and dark flavors. Boozy notes of bourbon, brandy, and wine with healthy amounts of dark fruits, chocolate, brown sugar and caramel. Very earthy as it warmed.

T: Like the nose there is a strong dark vibe here.
Sweet malt notes from the caramel, brown sugar, molasses, figs, raisins and dark cherries. A huge blast of various barrel notes... the blending imparts about equal amounts of brandy, bourbon and a general vinous tone.

M: Big. Heavy. While this is the first angel share with any semblance of carbonation, it wasn't fully integrated. I found the beer a bit still by the finish. Nice and boozy.

D: Very nice... but expensive and a bit too massive for me to want to drink with any amount of frequency.

04-12-2010 21:42:24 | More by callmemickey
jjanega08

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

A= pours a beautiful brown color. Looks black in the glass with a nice one finger head on it!!!! The head is a brownish color and holds some decent retention with some average lacing on the glass. A lot better than any other angels share that I've had.

S= Woah! Tons of aroma to this one. A nice amount of brandy some bourbon. I don't smell much of it but I do smell some of the grapes in it. Nice wood aroma to it as well as vanilla and toffee. There is a ton of aroma coming from this. A lot of stuff I dunno if I can pick it all out. There is a decent amount of alcohol in it as well. Super sweet smelling. Really amazing. Deeper you can smell some dark fruit smells like plums and figs. Nice caramel smell to it. Sooo many smells.

T= Just like the smell. I notice a lot more of the grapes in the taste however. A lot of sweetness but not cloying at all. There is a nice mixture of brandy and bourbon in the taste. Loads of toffee and dark fruit. Wow I just can't believe the complexity of this beer. The taste is similar to the smell and I went into some good detail there so I don't feel like retyping.

M= Nice strong taste and a really really dry finish.

D= The Red Poppy from the Sinners membership was good but this is awesome. I'm glad I rolled the dice just for this beer. Hopefully the others can live up to it. This beer has tons of complexity and flavor. Super delicious I can't wait to see how my other bottles do.

04-11-2010 03:04:59 | More by jjanega08
weatherdog

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

I had side by side with the 09 Brandy with a huge thanks to Tony for providing it at a March tasting.

It pours a very lively dark brown, almost black, with a nice ring of bubbles surrounding the glass.

The first thing that hits he nose is the huge tannic red wine. Its got lots of dark fruits like figs and plums. Hints of vanilla thrown in there as well. I'm just loving the red wine character thats dominant in the nose. If the taste is anything as complex as the nose I'm in for a treat.

The taste has a nice sweetness throughout it. Barrel aging is very evident with oak and vanilla, and just a little bourbon. Once again the sweet red wine character is there and it adds a facet of complexity I've never had in a beer. As it warmed just a little alcohol made itself present. I know this beer has many different types of barrels in the blend and I would have thought that they would turn into a muddled mess by looking at the blend on paper. I can seriously pick out so many different flavors I would have never thought possible in a beer.

The body is medium/light, much more so than the 09 Brandy I had right next to it which may be attributed to the evident carbonation. i drank this one slowly but only for the simple fact that it was so complex I wanted to appreciate everything this beer had to give.

I had this beer side by side with the 09 Brandy and this one just blew it out of the water. It was so good it was the highlight of our whole tasting. I think Tomme should keep this type of blend going, since even though it is more expensive than just the regular Angel's Share, it is actually worth the high price tag. This beer was a real treat and up there as one of the best beers that have ever graced my lips.

04-06-2010 20:52:36 | More by weatherdog
Thorpe429

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Bottle shared courtesy of bmanning at a recent tasting alongside of Amyliz4 and Heather. Also a thanks to BeerWorld, who sent me a bottle a little while back--now I can see how this one does with some time.

A: Pours a dark chestnut brown with a decent-sized tan head. A tad bit of lacing.

S: Caramel, brown sugar, dark fruit, vanilla, and oak.

T: Very nice caramel notes alongside brown sugar and accompanying sweetness. A bit of toffee. Loads of dark fruits. Nice vanilla and oak coming through, and just a minor hint of alcohol.

M: Nice and fairly thick with good carbonation. Glad that's back on track.

D: Very, very nice. Excellent complexity with everything formed a beautifully-unified whole.

04-03-2010 00:20:36 | More by Thorpe429
craytonic

District of Columbia

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance: Murky, dark amber brown. It is carbonated! Small head, no retention or lacing

Smell: Sweet and boozy. Perhaps more brandy than bourbon with a bit of rum. Metric tons of sweet malts, caramal, brown sugar, dark fruits (raisins, plums, and figs), toffee, butterscotch, and vanilla.

Taste: Similarly sweet and boozy, tons of sweet malts, dark fruits (raisins and figs), toffee, vanilla, brown sugar. Perhaps a hare too much booze. Probably due to the blending, just the right amount of oxidation. I miss the tobacco/leather elements that some beers of this style exhibit.

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth; nicely carbonated

Drinkability: One of the better old ales, the age on this one shows. Drinkability suffers a bit from the booziness of it.

Probably the best angel's share I have tasted.

04-02-2010 02:47:36 | More by craytonic
getkrunkhoe

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Shared a taste with the brewer at the release...

App- pours a dark jet black color with a charcoal and tan (weird huh?)head, lot of carbonation in this one.

Ar- sweetnes, oak, bitterness is all I'm picking up

Taste has a lot going on; spice(hops),oak, sweeet(all the malts),fruity,bitter/tartness(cab franc)

MF- for a "dominant" beer it's got a pretty light MF. Not overpowering.

D- easy drinking considering the high Abv. definetly one you want to take time with and savor, it is a big beer (just doesn't feel like it).

One of my NEW favorites from Lost Abbey.

03-26-2010 21:11:17 | More by getkrunkhoe
tpd975

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Pours dark brown boardering on black. Small tight tan head. No retention or lace.

S: Tons of sweet malt. Caramel brown sugar and every dark fruit known to man. I have smelled raisins that smell less like dark fruit than this beer. Notes of rich vanilla beans, light oak, and a touch of booze.

T: Raisins and fig really stand out. Tons of caramel and rich gooey toffee. Vanilla and chocolate are noted. Hints of oak and a touch of light booze. Reallly great beer. Malt bomb but boy does it have depth.

M: Rather full in body, light carbonation but it is there.

D: Sippability is very high!!!

03-26-2010 00:10:51 | More by tpd975
drabmuh

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A big mix of Angel's share -- I don't want to go over which ones they are. Popped open at a recent tasting out of severe curiosity.

Beer is brown and forms a brownish head of small bubbles. Beer is clear and the head leaves some lacing on the glass but there isn't much in the way of carbonation. Looks good.

WHOA! The aroma on this beer is nearly overwhelming. Its sweet, malty, alcohol, hot, good brandy / bourbon aroma, sweet raisins -- complex.

The flavor is about as complex. There is definitely a port like character to this beer. Medium body, no carbonation in the palate, the alcohol and sweetness comes through with this raisin fruit character in the midpalate. Overall its pretty good. It is very interesting. I've had a lot of the beers that make up this blend but not all of them. I'd be interested in trying the other Angel's share to tease apart the individual characters.

03-22-2010 22:25:42 | More by drabmuh
glid02

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Bottle shared by Joe - thanks!

Pours a hazy Werther's butterscotch color with a half-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a thin ring around the glass leaving light lacing but solid legs.

Smells of large amounts of everything - butterscotch, smooth caramel malts, vanilla, brandy, booze-soaked plums, and milk chocolate. The nose has a lot going on.

Tastes similar to how it smells, although not quite as complex. Caramel malt and butterscotch flavors with hints of darker toffee kick things off. Midway through the sip dark fruit flavors briefly come into play before being overtaken by good amounts of milk chocolate and well-integrated booze flavors - vanilla and mild butter. These flavors carry through to a crisp and sweet ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I was impressed with the complexity with this beer and there's not much else to say that hasn't been said. Well worth a shot and I'll be interested to see how this compares with the normal Angel's Shares.

03-16-2010 02:45:31 | More by glid02
Sean9689

375ml bottle in flute.

A - Pours dark mocha brown with a lighter tan head (yes, there's a good amount of it too). Some lacing along the sides of the glass along with a thin layer of head on top acting as the cap.

S - Vanilla, cherries, chocolate, bourbon, burnt sugars. A lot of stuff going on here. Very complex. Unlike any other Angel's Share I've had before.

T - Much like the nose, very complex. Bourbon, chocolate, cherries, grapes, vanilla, molasses. The bourbon is there, no doubt about it, but hidden very well. It complements more then interferes. Very well done. Sweet bourbon/chocolate finish.

M - Medium to heavy, rich, smooth, lighter carbonation.

D - My favorite Angel's Share out of all the different versions I've had. This is is a winner. I think these bottles have several years of aging left on them. I can't wait to crack open another in 6 months or so. I can see my rating going even higher as this has a chance to blend and age further.

03-15-2010 16:43:37 | More by Sean9689
Arbitrator

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by largadeer and supplied by HopHead84. Thanks guys.

Served side by side with the '09 Brandy and '09 Bourbon (which were both flat and had to be force-carbed).

A: Pours a dark mahogany body with translucent maroon edges. The pour produces.... carbonation! Holy god, there are bubbles! A light tan head rises on the brew and coats the top of the beer for about 10 seconds before retreating to scattered lace and a thin collar. Good for a 12% brew.

S: What an aroma. This is filling in itself. Brandy, bourbon, vinous grapes, figs, dates, chocolate, molasses, tobacco, brown sugar. Caramel, vanilla, hints of tannins. My small pour lasted for 20-30 minutes because I was just sniffing this and sampling the lovely bouquet. I can't see this category getting any better.

T: One of the best-tasting English barleywines I've had, bar none. Might even be the best. Brandy and bourbon spirits come up front, aided by vinous grapes. The brandy half manifests its tobacco and earthy contributions early, and they're counteracted by the sweetness of the bourbon component (which seems to impart more caramel and brown sugar than its cousin). Molasses and vanilla flit lightly in and out of the experience. Oxidation near the finish gives impressions of sherry. The taste draws to a lightly dry close with tannic astringency and a pepper bite working together. Incredibly subtle and well-integrated.

M: Chewy, full-bodied in flavor. The carbonation was arguably a tad high, but I won't really complain about that. Restrained booze.

D: As Chris commented, "Tomme should just give up on the individual Angel's Shares and make this the full-time blend." I agree. A 375mL bottle of this is a proper serving for several people. One of the most amazing beers I've sampled in recent memory. Just one criticism: the price. It's the equivalent of the $40 750mLs that Mayfield sells. It's a ridiculous price point for beer. I won't say that I will never spend $20 on a 375mL, but this is one of the few beers that will make me at least consider it.

03-04-2010 21:45:10 | More by Arbitrator