Deliverance - The Lost Abbey

The Lost Abbey visit their website

American Strong Ale |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: drummstikk on 08-09-2010

A blend of bourbon barrel-aged Serpent’s Stout and brandy barrel-aged Angels Share, Deliverance is the epic battle being waged between heaven and hell for the souls of mortal men… and your enjoyment in a glass.
Reviews: 426 | Hads: 1,869

Grabbed this today at Berman's in Lexington. Very cool artwork of angels and demons fighting over somebody. The color is almost completely black, with just a small amount of lacing as far as the head goes. The nose is of molten chocolate cake, molasses, and naturally brandy and bourbon. Wow, the alcohol is very present in the taste, giving it the feel of a spirit. Very similar to the nose, but there are some underlying fruit notes that makes it all the more interesting. Despite the heat from the alcohol, the mouthfeel is not especially huge, more in the middle I would say. The carbonation is also kept in check well. Like enjoying a spirit neat or on the rocks, this is one to sip slowly, and let develop as it warms to room temperature. Although grossly overpriced, this is another quality brew from Lost Abbey. I would be interested in trying the Bourbon barrel aged Serpent Stout, which is one of the brews (along with Brandy Angel's Share) blended in here. Cheers

A - Opaque dark brown. Pours with minimal head that quickly dissipates to almost nothing.

S - Not alot going on out of the fridge, and not alot going on as it warms up. A mild bourbon and brandy in the smell with alcohol coming through. Smells sweet.

T - Tastes better than it smells. Still plenty of brandy and bourbon, but now a little faint vanilla and chocolate show up.

M - Silky smooth mouthfeel with and little tingly alcohol finish. If there's such a thing as a balanced mouthfeel, this one has it. I just started doing reviews of the individual pieces and parts of beers, so I can't say I've get the perfect informed perspective on mouthfeel, but this is damn outstanding.

O - Good but not great offering. Not enough going on with the smell and the taste to give it high marks overall. The barrels kind of overwhelm the base beer.

3.99/5  rDev -6.6%

2011 Vintage

A: completely black, no transparency whatsoever. Pours about ½ fingers worth of head formation at the most, that is mocha colored. Moderate film sticks to the edge of the glass.

S: huge bourbon notes complemented by dark fruits such as raisins and figs. I also get a bold roasted note aspect with some alcohol, but the alcohol sits in quite nice. There also is a nice sweet and sugary toffee to heighten the complexity in the nose.

T: like the nose, except a monster of bourbon and the alcohol crush the palate. once you get past the ABV, some of the other pleasuring notes come up...dark fruits (raisins, figs again), mild coffee, mild chocolate, with a cream vanilla finish.

M: full bodied, fits the appearance and the taste quite well. Carbonation much more enhanced than Angel’s Share.

O: disappointing for the price that is it sold at, but glad I tried it. There are many other brews that are much less expensive and more well balanced than this one. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good brew, but this was a one timer for me. I highly recommend laying this one down for an extended period of time to mellow out the bold alcohol because it is just too dominating at this moment.

3.99/5  rDev -6.6%

From bottle that I thought was dated 2014, but seems to have vanished w/condensation.

Very tan head that dissipates quickly. Looks syrupy as it fills the glass, a wide mouthed Chimay goblet.

Prune/raisiney aroma. The bourbon is present & it tastes like it should have an alcohol burn, but it doesn't. Perhaps smoothed with the brandy barrel aging.

Very syrupy texture & a slight burnt sugar bitterness that keeps the sweetness in check.

There is a whole lot going on in this glass & at $1.50 an Oz. one would assume it's all got to do with the aging. The 12.5% is barely noticeable on the palate.

Next time (and there will be a next time) I'll be sure to have a range of nibbles to see what marries.

Big taste. Big beer. For big occasions.

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured 12.7oz bottle into Lost Abbey tulip.

a - Poured a pitch black with a nice finger creamy head. The head was tiny bubbles all mushed together and on top of each other...very molecular. As they popped, there was some chunky lacing clinging to the glass...milkshake-ish. The head hung around for a while.

s - Without even smelling the glass, the room immediately was overtaken by a boozy smell. Upon closer inspection a thick syrupy musty wooden smell. I feel like the brandy is more apparent but the mix creates a bit of a fight for dominance which results in a somewhat over-ripened fruit smell. For some reason, I can't stop smelling the glass though. Figs and plums too...

t - Lots going on. Big booziness. Again a bit of a fight for dominance in the flavor and kind of like taking a big swig of sangria and getting tons of fruit in your mouth.

m - Bold and thick. Real full bodied with a nice boozy tingle. After taste is a bit fruity and like sopped up barrels.

d - I have to say I was a bit nervous as I popped the cork...didn't make the trademark POP that I love when opening a beer. it was more of a pfttt...none-the-less the beer was plenty carbonated. My overall impressions left me feeling that I drank sangria and not a beer...pretty amazing that it was a beer though. She's a big beer. A sipper. Very glad I was able to find this at Julio's when I was in Boston not too long ago, but not something I'd actively pursue again.

3.97/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Pours dark brown, verging on black, and sits black in the glass with just a bit of light making it through the edges of the glass. No head to speak of... no surprise there.

Smell- Vanilla and oak, sweet booze, cocoa, caramel, and a bit of butterscotch. Booze isn't hidden at all, but it works in a cohesive way

Taste- Molasses and dark fruit, some cocoa, and lots of well integrated booze. Very sweet, has a slight burnt sugar taste leading to a mildly bitter dark chocolate finish

Mouthfeel-Full, sticky, syrupy, and completely still. Some light carbonation would be nice.

Overall- Good stuff, but the lack of carbonation in my bottle really held things back.

3.97/5  rDev -7%

A - Poured out a dark brown color with a small, tan head of bubbly foam. It left some sudsy trails of lace.

S - It smelled of bourbon with some vanilla and dark chocolate.

T - It tasted slightly spicy with roasted malt, chocolate and bourbon. Mild oak flavors, too.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium to full bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This a really tasty beer. Another interesting blend by The Lost Abbey.

3.97/5  rDev -7%

This showed up at my local beer store. Sweet find! 12.7 oz bottle...

A: Super medium black with a 1 inch mocha colored head that fades at a quick rate to a nice thin layer atop the brew. Good.

S: I get some heavy whiskey upfront blended with some raisin and dark fruit scents. Some toffee immediately follows in the middle with some creamy walnut on the backend. Smells very good!

T: First sip is a lot lighter and less intense than expected from the scent. I get creamy caramel walnut blended with some carbonated booze. A slight hidden tartness segways the front to the middle which has some almost peach raisin flavors. I don't get much on the backend. The more I drink this, the stranger the blend of these flavors gets. Good.

M: Medium body with a heavy carbonation feel. Decent.

D: This does not go down as easy as I would have hoped. The booziness and the hidden tartness make for a strange blend. Decent.

All in all, this is a good brew. Not great. I am kind of disappointed by LA by this one as I had higher hopes for it. Guess I set the bar a little too high. Great to try at least once if you like big beers, as I am a big beer lover, but don't expect to be floored by this one.

3.97/5  rDev -7%

Cheers to rmjavanut for including this in our trade. 375 mL cork and cage poured into my Duvel tulip.

The beer pours stout black (given that Angel's Share was pretty dark in its own right and it was blended with a stout this isn't surprising), with about a finger of caramel colored head rising up. The foamy cap lingers for just a second before dissipating. Not bad for such a big beer, but nothing out of the ordinary either. The nose hints that this beer is going to be an absolute chocolate bomb (fine by me). Even more so than that though is the smell of bourbon, and just a hint of brandy. The nose is decent, but a little too alcohol dominant. I find more balance in Deliverance as I sip on it. The booze is definitely still there, but the rich, roasty chocolate really asserts itself here. Especially as the beer warms and mellows out a little bit the chocolate becomes the main attraction. It's also a pretty thick beer, and overall I'd say it reminds me of Goose Island BCS, just a rich, viscous, chocolate and bourbon milkshake (although with a splash of brandy this time around). I can't say Deliverance is flat, like my last Lost Abbey beer was, but it's only just barely carbonated. A beer this big and rich shouldn't have explosive carbonation, but it shouldn't be something I have to strain this hard to find either. Deliverance is surely a sipper, as while I emphasized the chocolate when discussing the flavor, alcohol is definitely present as well. It works out to the drinker's advantage though, as I find Deliverance to only improve as it warms up. Now, if Lost Abbey could just get these beers properly carbonated ;)

3.96/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Vintage 2011. 375ml bottle served in a snifter.

Appearance: Very dark opaque brown, nearly black in color in the glass. There was virtually no head when poured and what was there dissipated instantly to a thin tan collar.

Smell: Bourbon, caramel, dates, raisins, oak, hints of coffee and booze

Taste: Bourbon, toffee, slight coffee bitterness, vanilla, molasses, and oak. The flavors are all very nice, but there's a slight astringency that keeps this from scoring higher.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is on the low side, but by no means is it flat.

Overall: Very good barrel aged beer. If you're into stouts, strong ales or bourbon barrel aged beers, its definitely worth a try if you can find it at a reasonable price.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a silky black with a touch of a mocha colored head. Lays still in the glass. Barrel notes all over the nose! Chocolate, oak, bourbon, brandy, caramelized apples, coconut. So much going on here. Flavor follows through with more subtlety than the nose. Lots of charred malts. Some sweet fruit character would lead you believe it was port barrel aged as well. Body is thick and rich with a fair amount of heat, but doesn't feel like it is kicking your ass.
Overall, this was pretty solid. The nose blew me away, and while all the flavors were there, they were more tame than I had hoped.

3.94/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Geoi for the bottle.

375ml corked and caged brown bottle poured into a chalice/tulip.

A: Pours pretty much jet black. Medium head on the pour without much retention because of the barrel aging. Some lacing but not much. Some slick legs.

S: An interesting mix of Belgian stout and BW/strong ale. The stout comes through a bit more but by just a nose. The bourbon and brandy mixing is also interesting, with the brandy just slightly stronger. Maybe a bit of bug infection from the extended barrel contact? Some tart fruitiness comes through, though that might be from the stout?

T/M: Plenty of bourbon and brandy with dank barrel. The stout definitely comes out more than the AS, which is good but somewhat unfortunate. The tart fruitiness comes through even more and I'm pretty sure that it's from some barrel infecting. Unintentional as far as I know but it's not off putting... but unexpected. Body is full with mild carbonation. A touch more carbo would help things a bit.

D: ABV and very thick. Definitely a sipper.

3.94/5  rDev -7.7%

At long last, Deliverance.

A: The beer pours out of the bottle with...head! Carbonation! Can't wait for this. A ton of bubbles race to the bottom of a brown head of about 2 or 3 fingers. The retention is phenomenal and the lacing is quite nice.

S: The aroma has a much more roast character than I was expecting. Big booze notes, mostly on the bourbon side of things. Oak and vanilla hang out as well. The aroma is a bit disjointed and boozy.

T: The booziness carries through here, but isn't as pervasive as it was in the aroma. The roast is tempered by some smooth chocolate and oak from the various barrel aging. Again, the bourbon is noted the most but I think I'm getting Brandy characteristics from the sweetness. The taste isn't as good as I was hoping, but I certainly don't hate it.

MF: A bit watery than I was expecting, but very smooth on the palate. A dry, boozy finish. If the body was a bit fuller this would be like candy. Carbonated well!

O: This beer was very good, but it didn't live up to the hype. I'm glad I tried it and I think it's a pretty nice offering, but it wasn't worth the price tag.

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a dark brown with a mild off-white head. Average retention, leaves good lace.

S: Very similar to Angel's Share. Big brandy and bourbon nose, with a lot of chocolate.

T: Dark chocolate with an elegant malt character. The roasted malt comes out a bit more with the Serpent's Stout included, but I think I like the straight up caramelized malt and Brandy of the original Angel's Share. Still a good flavour for sure.

M: Full-bodied, thick, lightly boozy, quite smooth.

D: A must try for me, I liked it, but I'm glad I didn't pony up the $15 for the bottle, much cheaper on draft. It's good, but not that good.

3.93/5  rDev -8%

Thanks for sharing, pwoods!

Pours a rich, dark brown with ruby highlights. Mostly opaque, but there's some transparency when held to the light. Short, tight head fizzles out quickly, leaving behind just spots of skim and lace.

Nose seems a bit off to me. The bourbon is definitely there, as is the oak, but there's a pesky, undeniable vinegary tartness that made me ask "is this a sour?" It effectively diminishes my ability to distinguish much else about the aroma.

Although the vinegary aroma from the nose is there in the taste (especially as it warms - possible infection?), it is much more balanced by the other flavors. The malts are richly caramelized with a good bit of sweetness and the hints of vanilla from the barrel come through nicely. The bourbon is warming in both taste and feel, and the alcohol, while present, isn't overpowering or sharply hot. The aftertaste gives hints of some spiciness that I can best describe as reminiscent of anise. Feel is moderately viscous, almost oily, with a nice effervescent finish. Alcohol vapors hit the palate before the beer, and they are the last thing on the palate long after the drink, save a bit of tongue-coating stickiness.

Pretty drinkable in taste and feel, but I know it's stronger than it seems thanks to the warmth in my cheeks and chest.

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a viscous black with a very small amount of mocha colored foam that eventually settles down to a thin cap of nothingness with some solid lacing.

Aromas begin with a large amount of oaky vanilla and a solid amount of both dark and semi-sweet bakers chocolate notes. The roasted, almost charred maltiness emerges as it warms along with the booziness from the multiple barrels involved in the aging process.

The tastes begin with sweet and bitter chocolate flavors along with more oak and vanilla. The spirit and subtle flavors of roasted malts provide a solid balance to the sweetness. There is plenty of caramel and brown sugar present throughout.

The mouthfeel is medium to full boided with a lower amount of carbonation. Finish is a bit boozy and aggressive from the roasted maltiness and the multiple barrel aging process

Overall I think this is a nice offering from Lost Abbey but it just isn't my cup of tea. The two beers I feel are better by themselves and really don't mesh in a harmonious fashion for me. While it is definitely not a bad beer, I just don't think I have the need to venture out and purchase it with the inflated price tag, but finding it on draft is more than reasonable and worth a go for sure.

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

This pours with a deep darkness that allows for a bit of light to show through at the top of the glass. This pours with little to no foam, but does have the small carbonation swirls. Its aroma of deep dark chocolate, roast, and slight fig/raisin. Its taste is of deep rich oaked bourbon, with notes of dark chocolate and a sweet vanilla with a slight caramel. When it comes to mouthfeel it coats the tongue with a velvety texture. Overall, I was pretty impressed with this blend. I have had both of the parents of the blend and by themselves are amazing. On a whole this goes in the category of one of Tomme's/Lost Abbey's best beers to date. For the price this was worth it.

2010 bottling

Appearance: It has that typical Lost Abbey pour - all liquid and no head; the liquid is fudge brown with auburn highlights

Smell: Bourbon and Brandy elements waft above the chocolate and dark fruit; oak and vanilla, as well

Taste: Dark chocolate, with a hint of raisin, up front, followed by the Bourbon and Brandy which dominate the middle; after the swallow, there is an oaky dryness, complemented by a touch of vanilla and coffee

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low carbonation; warmth in the gullet after the swallow

Overall: Received this in the Secret Santa BIF 2010 and, as I haven't had many Lost Abbey beers recently, I am not sure whether the lack of carbonation continues to be an issue; the flavors in this one are very good but it does suffer from the flatness of many of the Lost Abbey beers I drank when I was a member of the Sinners Club

Thanks, mrmiles, for the opportunity

3.91/5  rDev -8.4%

Appearance: Very dark brown to black with a moderate beige head that fairly quickly but still remained as a ring in the tulip.

Smell: Mild Bourbon, brandy, and slight oak notes.

Taste: A mixture of Bourbon, brandy, toffee/caramel, some roast malts, faint vanilla, and oak. The finish is fairly dry with a slight alcohol presence.

Mouth-feel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation.

Overall: Good beer but for me the bourbon and brandy dominate. Very pricey.

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Used motor oil with a tiny ring of lacing that accounts for the head.

S: Bourbon, molases, medium roast coffee.

T: A quick wash of tart dark fruits and then the barrel notes come in. There are some strange sour notes that come in and dance with the sweet caramels, wood, and booze. Not entirely unpleasant but unexpected. Not as complex and full as the nose let on.

M: Slightly thinner than the appearance suggested though still syrupy. It foams up on your tongue.

O: The smell is absolutely amazing. But the taste, while nice, falls a little shy of all that the aroma promised.

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%

Just picked up a single at the spot - Bradley's, in Tustin, CA.

$15 for a 12 ounce. Ok, here we go...

Smelled like a cold hard boozy forty - aite, at least it's gangsta. But the taste, woo ha! Smoother than my mama bisquick pancakes. Coffee, toffee, delectable...

Raul ain't a Strong Ale lover, but he digs it enough.

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%

375 ml bottle. Pours a very dark brown with a small tan head that leaves a very small amount of lacing on the glass. Aroma is pretty awesome. Big bourbon, light vanilla, caramel, brandy, light leather, a bit of oak, chocolate, and a decent amount of alcohol. All the flavors come together quite nicely. The initial taste is sweet with some plum and bourbon. You also get some caramel, oak, chocolate, and brandy. The finish is pretty boozy with significant alcohol heat. Medium body. Low carbonation. Enjoyable beer. I would have rated the taste higher if there wasn't so much alcohol too it. I'm curious if this will get much better with time.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours deep dark brown where no light shall pass. No head and no lace. It looks like an after dinner beverage.

Very see et, like a cross between a port and a Framboise (with no sourness).

Strong alcohol and cloyingly sweet dark cocoa flavor. Definitely a "beer" to drink by the fire. Think brandy snifter with a carbonated, raspberry tinged after dinner liqueur. Rich, rich body but with a decent level of carbonation. Long raisiny aftertaste.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

Cloudy, brown and muddy in the glass. No head develops on the pour, just thin wisps of tan on the surface and a thin rim of tan bubbles at the edge of the glass. Doesn't look like much, but all can be forgiven if the flavor delivers.

Deliverance begins to make amends with the smell: thick molasses and toffee, complemented with a sweet bourbon scent that doesn't overwhelm the rest of the beer. Really can't ask for more for your nose.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, which would be fine, except there is virtually no carbonation to give the back of your throat a break. With repeated sips, the thickness builds and detracts from what we used to call "drinkability."

Notwithstanding the mouthfeel issue, this is a pretty tasty beer. Lots of dark fruit: fig, plum and bourbon soaked cherries. Toffee and milk chocolate are in there as well with just a bit of char. The finish has more of an alcohol bite than I'd like, especially given how smooth the flavor is right up until the end.

In sum, if it weren't for the carbonation issue, this would be an extraordinary beer. As is, it is still solidly above average and worth a try.

3.87/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance -- Pours a deep, almost impenetrable brown with ruddy pumpkin highlights and a thin halo of mauve bubbles. Something resembling a head would be welcome, but otherwise quite photogenic.

Smell -- Figgy pudding, vanilla, brandy-soaked raisins, fudge. Medicinal alcohol is slightly sharp on the nose, but not a detraction.

Taste -- Angel's Share really dominates this beer: Lots of soft caramel, vanillin, bread pudding, rum cake, and fudge. Bourbon Serpent's Stout broadens the malt base of Angel's Share in terms of the roastiness and cafe mocha-like quality. It makes me think of eating a decadent desert at a nice restaurant. With the barrels, brandy is much more forward than the bourbon mid-palate, though oaky bourbon sweetness makes a comeback in the backend. Alcohol is certainly present, but it takes the form of a mild medicinal quality in the finish. Lingering flavors of bread pudding and bourbon.

Mouthfeel -- Thick and chewy with very mild carbonation, though not still. I shouldn't be surprised since half of this beer is Brandy Angel's Share. Bubbles aside, it's pleasantly velvety. It feels indulgent. Alcohol presence is mild, though a gentle warming of the throat is perceptible from the fist sip. Over time one feels like they should be sinking into a high back chair by the fire, surrounded by leather-bound books.

Overall -- This would be an ideal aperitif beer with it being so rich and decadent, and nearly still as if to mimic the classic after dinner drinks like port wine or brandy. It seems like the brief time I have abstained from drinking this has really benefitted Deliverance. The harsh phenolic alcohol so many had griped about seems to have mellowed moreover.

This is more a special variation on Angel's Share more than anything else. the only addition from Bourbon Serpent's Stout is some roastiness and bubbles. Thank goodness for those bubbles.

Deliverance from The Lost Abbey